Sneeze Fetish Forum

Usnavi's Five Stages - (12 Parts)

angora48

Sorry I haven't updated in a while. Work has been crazy busy, and I haven't had a chance to do a lot of typing.

Here's Part 10!

Usnavi blinked, disoriented. He was in bed; sunlight was streaming in through his window. It was an odd feeling, sleeping during the day. He felt – dislodged or something.

His nose was running. Usnavi swiped his hand under it, coughing a little. It didn’t hurt his chest to cough, not like before, and once he’d started, he was able to stop again. This was promising.

Usnavi sat up carefully. As he rose, the sunlight hit his eyes and made his nose twitched. He gasped a little. “Ah… heh…” His muscles tensed as he reached for a Kleenex. He was just able to bury nose in it before… “Heh-CHIOOO! Ah-SHUHHH! Ah!” Messy. Usnavi grabbed two more Kleenex and thoroughly blew his nose. By the time he was done,k he was almost breathing normally.

Usnavi sat still for a moment, letting the cool air from the fan blow across his bare chest. He was still hot, but not as bad as yesterday or last night. All in all, not too bad.

Rubbing his nose a little, Usnavi got out of bed and pulled on a T-shirt. He yawned a bit, sniffling lightly, and wandered out of the bedroom.

Abuela was in the living room, watching Jeopardy as she folded laundry. “I was starting to think you were like the man from that book!” Abuela said, setting down a pair of socks. “The one who fell asleep for years?”

“Rip vad Winkle,” Usnavi told her. While his throat was still scratchy, he didn’t grimace as the sound of his voice.

“Right – the one who met the headless horseman,” Abuela replied. Usnavi smiled, not caring that that was actually Ichabod Crane.

Abuela stood up and walked to him. “You look better,” she said.

“I feel better,” Usnavi replied.

Abuela held the back of her hand to Usnavi’s forehead. “It’s not as bad as it was this morning, but you still feel warm.” Usnavi nodded. “You hungry?”

To Usnavi’s relieved surprise, he was. “Uh, yeah,” he said. “Yeah, I could – Het-Chiuhh! I could eat,” he finished, his voice muffled behind the crook of his arm..

Salud,” Abuela said. “Come. I’ll make you a grilled cheese sandwich.”

Usnavi followed Abuela to the kitchen, yawning. “What tibe is it?” he asked, rumpling his hair.

“Almost 4:00,” Abuela said as she bustled about. “It’s no wonder you’re ready to eat something.”

“What?” Usnavi exclaimed. His voice cracked a little.

Abuela nodded. “You’ve been sleeping half the day. I had so many plans for taking care of you and making you feel better, but you just kept on sleeping! But it’s good, I suppose – you certainly seem better for it.”

“Yeah… Het-CHUHHH!” Usnavi cupped his hands over his face and sneezed forcefully.

Abuela clucked his tongue in sympathy. “Salud,” she said, handing him a Kleenex. Did she have Kleenex boxes everywhere?

“Thadks, Abuela,” Usnavi said with a sniffle. He wiped off his hands and blew his nose. “Have you bed to the bodega?”

“Yes, and it’s still standing – miracle of miracles,” Abuela teased. “I told Sonny to keep up the good work, and everybody said they hope you feel better soon.”

Usnavi frowned a little, puzzled. “Really? Who’s everybody?”

“Well, Sonny, of course,” Abuela said, “and Carla and the Rosarios. Oh, and Vanessa.” Usnavi couldn’t help smiling a little.

“Now,” Abuela went on, “here we are.” She brought him his grilled cheese sandwich. “I made tea earlier. Would you like some?” His mouth already full, Usnavi nodded.

Abuela kept up a steady stream of conversation while Usnavi ate, telling him all about her day. When he sneezed, she would pause to bless him, then go right back into her story. Usnavi liked that. Now that he was feeling a bit more normal, it was nice to be thinking about something other than being sick.

After lunch, Usnavi decided he didn’t feel like going back to bed, so he plopped down on the couch. At Abuela’s insistence, he let her make it up with sheets and a pillow. “There you go,” Abuela said as Usnavi stretched out on the couch. “You were sleeping so long, it’s only fair to let me fuss over you a little.” She placed another of her never-ending supply of Kleenex boxes on the coffee table, along with a cold glass of water, while Usnavi channel surfed lazily. He settled on a cheesy telenovela on the Spanish channel. Abuela ruffled his hair, then sat in her chair with her knitting.

Have a good evening/morning/whatever your time zone is, everybody!

Aw!! :lmfao:

LOVE! The only word that describes how I feel about this story lol

I wonder...is Vanessa gonna show up to help Abuela with all that caregiving? :)

Great work!

Can't wait to read more!

Part 11, guys!

Usnavi ended up dozing off on the couch. By the time he woke up, the sun was setting below the apartment buildings. He sat up, rubbing pillow lines off his cheek. It was amazing the amount of difference a little rest could make. Out of the heat, away from the hectic demands of the store, Usnavi practically felt like old self. “Heh-SHIOOO!” He reached for a Kleenex – not quite like his old self, but he was getting there.

Usnavi kept Abuela company while she made a late supper of fajitas and frijoles, which was ready right around the time Sonny closed the store for the night.

“Hey, what’s going on?” Sonny demanded as he entered the apartment. “You don’t look so sick to me. Abuela, you said he was like death warmed over.”

“He’s feeling a lot better than he was this morning,” Abuela explained.

“I shoulda come and helped id the afterdood,” Usnavi said, feeling immediately guilty. “Yo, I’be sorry – you can cobe in a little late toborrow if you want.”

“Usnavi, relax!” Sonny replied. “Don’t sweat it. You just owe me for the piragua is all.” He thrust a snow cone into Usnavi’s hand. “It was hot out today and lots of people were buying piragua – all he had left was mango.”

“That’s fide – thadks,” Usnavi assured him.

“I mean, don’t get me wrong,” Sonny went on. “I’m more than happy to invest in a little comfort food for a sick compadre, but if it’s just a couple sniffles, you can buy your own piragua!”

Usnavi laughed, then coughed. “Gotcha – I’ll pay you back after supper. So everything wedt okay?”

“Usnavi, please – you’re talkin’ to the master!” Sonny replied. “You shoulda seen me; it was like I was two steps ahead of everything. It was a zen thing – like I knew what they were gonna say before they said it. I was moving so fast you couldn’t see me! I was – “

“Yeah, yeah – Suddy’s the wod,” Usnavi replied, wriggling his nose. “We get it.”

“Sounds like you’ve worked up quite an appetite,” Abuela commented, setting the food on the table.

“Hey, a workin’ man’s gotta eat!” Sonny replied. Abuela swatted his hand away as he reached for the fajitas.

“Not yet,” she warned. Sonny pouted and Usnavi rubbed his itchy nose while Abuela said grace. “…In Jesus’ name, amen.”

“All right – let’s eat!” Sonny announced.

Usnavi snatched a Kleenex from the box Abuela had set beside him on the table. He turned away from Abuela, Sonny, and the food. “Heh… Hitch-UHHH! Ah-Chiuhh!”

“Damn – salud,” Sonny said.

“Oh, bless you, Usnavi!” Abuela added.

“Thadks – ‘scuse be,” Usnavi replied. He grabbed a couple more Kleenex and got up from the table. Standing in the doorway, he tried to blow his nose as quietly as possible.

Abuela was shaking her head when Usnavi sat down. “Make sure you get a good night’s sleep,” she said, feeling Usnavi’s cheek.

“Sure thing, Abuela,” Usnavi said, sniffling a little.

“I mean it!” Abuela warned. “After the shape you were in yesterday, you need to be smart.”

“I said I would, didd’t I?” Usnavi replied. He bit his lip to hold back a bemused smile.

“Now, if you’re really feeling better in the morning, you can go to work, but don’t overdo it!” Abuela went on. “I don’t want to hear about you running all over the place and overworking yourself in the heat – you’ll just make yourself sick again. Go ahead and let Sonny do all the work. He doesn’t mind, do you, Sonny?”

“Nope,” Sonny said. “I’m not a lightweight like Usnavi.” Usnavi gave his cousin a good-natured shove.

“Oh boys, be nice,” Abuela said. “Okay, Usnavi? You hear what I’m saying?”

So here it was – Usnavi had known he couldn’t avoid it forever. Sonny, who knew firsthand how Abuela could be when a guy got sick, just smirked at him. “Yeah, I hear you, Abuela,” Usnavi said. “Loud and clear.”

I present you with the 12th and final part of "Usnavi's Five Stages." Hope you all liked it!

Usnavi studied his face in the mirror as he buttoned his shirt. His color was back – that was good. He’d slept soundly last night, and it showed. No circles under his eyes. Grabbing his toothbrush, Usnavi smiled at his reflection.

His throat was still a bit sore – not so good, but it was still early in the morning. Usnavi hoped it would start to feel better as the day wore on.

Abuela was still asleep. Usnavi moved quietly to the kitchen and poured himself a bowl of cereal, which he ate over the sink. It felt strange, getting ready for work without having been there the day before. He was used to spending breakfast thinking about everything he had to do at the bodega, but today, he didn’t know what little chores would be waiting for him. It was a weird feeling – he didn’t know how to occupy his thoughts.

Usnavi rinsed his bowl and dropped it in the sink. He sniffled – his nose was a little runny. He grabbed a Kleenex and blew his nose. He took another fistful to put in his pockets, then thought better of it and tucked the whole box under his arm as he headed out the door.

Outside, the heat met Usnavi head on, but it didn’t make him feel like it had for the past week, sticky and exhausted and dizzy. He could catch his breath today. Usnavi hopped down the steps and walked toward the bodega.

¡Buenos días, señor Usnavi!” the piraguëro called as he pushed his little cart down the sidewalk.

“Yo, ¿qué pasa?” Usnavi replied, slowing down to meet him.

Eh, nada – como siempre, the piraguëro told him. “¿Y tú? ¿Cómo estás?

Bien, gracias,” Usnavi said. “See you around!”

At the bodega, Usnavi popped the grate, headed inside, and got right to work on the coffee. Except for the occasional sneeze or sniffle to remind him he was still just a little bit sick, all was right with the world. Sonny showed up relatively on time, and the two of them had everything ready to go by the time the morning rush started.

“It’s good to see you again, Usnavi,” Camila said as Usnavi prepared her café con leche. “We missed you yesterday.”

“Aw, thanks, Cabila,” Usnavi replied. “That all comes to a buck-seventy.”

Kevin paid for them both and thanked Usnavi. “Glad you’re feeling better,” he said.

“Oh, thank God!” Daniela exclaimed as she entered the store. “Café con leche – you know how I like it. I was afraid we’d be stuck with Sonny again.”

Usnavi smiled, adding milk and extra sugar to Daniela’s café. “You don’t like Suddy’s coffee?” he asked.

“Usnavi, you know I love Sonny, but the boy doesn’t know café from guacamole,” Daniela told him.

“Daniela, I’m right here!” Sonny called.

“I know, that’s why I’m telling Usnavi!” Daniela replied. “I’m hoping you overhear and learn something.”

Usnavi laughed as he handed Daniela her change. It was good to be back.

Vanessa stalked down the street in a bit of a sour mood. Work had been annoying yesterday. Daniel and Carla could be a lot of fun, but they wore Vanessa’s last nerve when she couldn’t escape next door and see Usnavi.

The whole day seemed messed up when Usnavi wasn’t around; Vanessa didn’t know why. Maybe it was because he always seemed so happy to see her. Maybe it was how he made her coffee just the way she liked it. Maybe it was because he always seemed to get how she was before she even said anything.

But yesterday? Yesterday sucked. First, Sonny had put too much cinnamon in her coffee, and then the usual salon gossip and chatter got on Vanessa’s nerves, and she was just weird and mopey all day. She wouldn’t have thought the absence of one person could affect her day so much.

Try as she might to think of something else, her brain just kept conjuring up images of Usnavi stuck at home, sick and miserable. Vanessa didn’t like to think about Usnavi being miserable. The thought had nagged at her all day and followed her home in the evening. It even got to the point that she somehow ended up trying to make soup that night, thinking she’d take over to Usnavi’s.

Vanessa wouldn’t have thought she could be incapable of opening a can and heating the stuff inside, but apparently she was. The whole thing had been a big mess – she cut her thumb on the can, and she left the pot on the stove too long, and she didn’t put in enough water, and a good portion of it boiled over. She wasn’t normally so hopeless; she’d didn’t know what was stressing her out so much. In the end, she’d thrown the whole mess away in embarrassment. What was the matter with her?

Vanessa broke into a relieved smile when she stepped inside the bodega and found Usnavi in his usual spot. He looked a little tired, and he still had a Kleenex box on the counter beside him, but he looked a lot better than the last time Vanessa had seen him. More like his old self.

Vanessa hung back behind Abuela Claudia, who was deep in conversation with Usnavi. “You should have woken me up before you left,” the old woman scolded, “told me how you were feeling.”

“Well, I’m tellin’ you dow, I’m fide,” Usnavi replied.

“Are you sure?” Claudia asked. “You’re not too tired? You sound a little –”

“I’be a little stuffed up is all,” Usnavi told her. “Dod’t worry about it.”

Claudia eyed him suspiciously. “I’ll bring you lunch later,” she said.

When it was Vanessa’s turn, Usnavi’s eyes lit up upon seeing her. “Hey!”

“Hey yourself, stranger,” Vanessa replied as Usnavi set to work on her coffee. “You feeling better?”

“Yeah, sure,” Usnavi said. He put the lid on her coffee and turned away, grabbing a Kleenex. “Hitch-iuhh!” He sniffled, wiping his nose. “Well, alboast, addyway.” Handing her her coffee with his clean hand, he rubbed his nose and sniffled a few more times. “Ah! That’s better. You know, I bet you’re about the 20th person to ask me that today.”

“Ooh, number 20!” Vanessa said. “Do I get a prize?”

“How ‘bout your coffee od the house?” Usnavi said. That was nothing new; it seemed Usnavi was always giving Vanessa free coffee for some reason or another. She thanked him and walked to the salon, her spirits lifted. She didn’t know why, but the day always seemed better when Usnavi was in it.

Archived