Sneeze Fetish Forum

Saying "bless you" to strangers

Joal 555

Sorry if this has been covered before.......

....but I have noticed that if I bless a stranger, I am usually warmly thanked and rewarded with a nice smile. However, if I bless someone I know, I am either thanked more matter of factly (with no smile) or not thanked at all.

Any thoughts out there?

(I only bless females by the way - I must be sexist!)

Guest cally

If I am close enough and not going to attract too much attention, I will bless people on the street or whatnot. Unless I'm with a family member LOL.

Lamborghini

I am exclusively a female blesser as well. It depends though. If she's with a guy, then no. If she doesn't look too nice, then no. If I'm too far, then no. If she's close, and she seems friendly, and she sneezes more than once, then usually yes.

I love females, don't you Joel? :)

Lamborghini

Guest Not Allergic
Sorry if this has been covered before.......

....but I have noticed that if I bless a stranger, I am usually warmly thanked and rewarded with a nice smile. However, if I bless someone I know, I am either thanked more matter of factly (with no smile) or not thanked at all.

Any thoughts out there?

(I only bless females by the way - I must be sexist!)

When someone blesses me as I sneeze, whether I know them or not, I try to be nice and thank them and I don't smile, but I chuckle because everyone loves my sneezes (they're funny). If I don't thank them, it's usually because thanking someone for saying that doesn't seem like a big deal. They'd tell it to anyone they hear sneeze and they probably really don't care. It's just nice to be nice, but sometimes I don't bother.

Yeah, I say "bless you" quite often to people I know, friends, family etc. But I never bless a stranger. It just feels kinda weird, y'know? And I wouldn't expect a people I know to say thank you after I bless them. But I don't expect to be thanked if I ever do bless a stranger, or even if I bless someone I know. Feels nice though.

I am exclusively a female blesser as well. It depends though. If she's with a guy, then no. If she doesn't look too nice, then no. If I'm too far, then no. If she's close, and she seems friendly, and she sneezes more than once, then usually yes.

I love females, don't you Joel? :omg:

Lamborghini

I'm right with Lamborghini on this one! I guess it's my way of trying to encourage women to talk about their ailments, which I heartily enjoy! :D

In France it's pretty uncommon for anyone to "bless" and more still for strangers. The only situation where it would be appropriate is if the sneeze is so obtrustive that it has to be acknowledged somehow - for example if it's a loud sneeze, or multiples, or you find yourself very close to the people who sneezed. In that case the response may be "à vos souhaits".

But just cross the border into Switzerland, even French speaking Switzerland, and you will find complete strangers saying "santé" to you if you sneeze.

Yes, in the UK it is not so common; I enthusiastically bless most people I know, but if I did to a stranger I would sound like a little old lady or the type of old man I think is now extinct [bless you, my boy].

The only exception I can think of is if one were somehow already in conversation with someone; eg a waitress serving one who sneezed or the old joke about the bank cashier [as if anyone ever spoke to them nowadays anyway]. But since you would never speak to anyone on public transport [except the conductor when they had them] you could never bless them either.

Thus I think I have blessed a barmaid...

I normally only bless people I know and for me personally, it would feel a bit odd to get a blessing by someone I don't know. I generally don't like to sneeze in front of people, especially not in front of strangers, so that's probably the reason why I feel a bit ashamed everytime a stranger would bless me.

But generally, I think strangers are more likely to smile at you for blessing them because they didn't expect you as a stranger to be that friendly and polite. If you are in a group of friends, it is more normal ant not that surprising if you bless them, so maybe the answer is therefore not as enthusiastically.

I agree with some others here. When a stranger blesses me, I'm generally so taken aback (in a good way!) by their kindness that I feel like they deserve me to be warm and friendly in return. Not that my friends and family DON'T deserve my warmness and friendliness...:) But you know what I mean.

I agree with some others here. When a stranger blesses me, I'm generally so taken aback (in a good way!) by their kindness that I feel like they deserve me to be warm and friendly in return. Not that my friends and family DON'T deserve my warmness and friendliness...:rolleyes: But you know what I mean.

In that case, Bless You InHiding for the next time you sneeze!

I agree with some others here. When a stranger blesses me, I'm generally so taken aback (in a good way!) by their kindness that I feel like they deserve me to be warm and friendly in return. Not that my friends and family DON'T deserve my warmness and friendliness...:lol: But you know what I mean.

Thanks! :twisted: I used it this morning...it was much appreciated! :o

I agree with some others here. When a stranger blesses me, I'm generally so taken aback (in a good way!) by their kindness that I feel like they deserve me to be warm and friendly in return. Not that my friends and family DON'T deserve my warmness and friendliness...:lol: But you know what I mean.

Thanks! :twisted: I used it this morning...it was much appreciated! :o

You're welcome!

Hope it was a cute sneeze!

You're welcome!

Well...of course it was. :o:twisted: It was a cute 7, as a matter of fact, but I only had the one "bless you." :lol:

In Germany, there's a discussion going on whether saying "Gesundheit" (in case someone doesn't know: that's the German equivalent to "bless you") is polite at all, be it towards people you know or towards strangers. A few years ago it was claimed that saying "Gesundheit" is out, now it is claimed again that it's polite. Sometimes the Germans don't know what they want... :twisted:

Myself I rarely say "Gesundheit" to a stranger. But it's dependent on the situation - when I think he'll appreciate it, I do, and if not, I don't.

You're welcome!

Well...of course it was. :o:twisted: It was a cute 7, as a matter of fact, but I only had the one "bless you." :lol:

Awww....bless you six times more!

Whenever you need blessing, just ask

Take care

x

You're welcome!

Well...of course it was. :lol::twisted: It was a cute 7, as a matter of fact, but I only had the one "bless you." :lol:

Take care

x

Thanks! :o

You're welcome!

Well...of course it was. :lol::twisted: It was a cute 7, as a matter of fact, but I only had the one "bless you." :lol:

Take care

x

Thanks! :o

I see that we both joined the forum in June. I think we are going to be good friends :lol:

Guest cally
You're welcome!

Well bless, in that case. :lol:

7, lucky you!

I see that we both joined the forum in June. I think we are going to be good friends :lol:

Cheers to that. :twisted:

7, lucky you!

Thanks! :lol: It's always seven... The only time it changes is if I'm sick, then it's usually two. Nevermind how odd THAT is. :o

Cheers to that. :twisted:

7, lucky you!

Thanks! :lol: It's always seven... The only time it changes is if I'm sick, then it's usually two. Nevermind how odd THAT is. :o

Always 7 cute sneezes! You sound just perfect!

Always 7 cute sneezes! You sound just perfect!

I AM perfect, silly. :P

Okay, okay...kidding. But thanks! :D

I only hope you will like my sneezes as much!

PS I am definitely not perfect!

I actually said it to a woman behind me in line at the grocery store this afternoon. She was alone, and had a really nice, single sneeze. I turned around, said it, and smiled. She laughed and said, "Thank you!"

I figure if they don't have a significant other with them, I can say it, and generally do. If someone close to them doesn't say it, and not too much time has passed, I will say it. To me, it's an acknowledgement of their sneeze, not really all about religion, so I do sometimes say it to complete strangers.

Archived