Sneeze Fetish Forum

A Forum-wide survey

The Mute Poet

Since starting university last year I've been reading alot about various psychological research studies that had been conducted and led to various findings (great and mundane) throughout the academic world. One of the popular trends I've come to notice is that the origins of many phenomena are discovered when some sort of pattern is discovered in the research results that points the researchers in the proper direction.

With that in mind, I've been thinking quite a bit lately about exactly how it came to pass that we "got" our fetish. Given that our community represents such a small proportion of the worlds' population (even accounting for those thousands who haven't signed up or who are unable to), it points to something really fundamentally unique that we all must share.

Now, it's entirely possible that that "something" is some sort of random genetic componant - whether inherited (shudder) or otherwise - but lately I've been leaning more towards the possibility that perhaps the fetish would be more readily explained as an early learned behaviour. Basically, this is something that's been debated before at great length in the community, but no real answer has yet emerged. I just can't help thinking though, that there just might be SOME common factor linking us all... something we all did or were exposed to, that would point us in the direction of the behavioural origin of the fetish (if, indeed, it is behavioural) - and we've just yet to realise it.

To that end, I've thought that a decent first steps might be asking any members who would be interested to answer a few general questions and seeing if any sort of pattern was to emerge from the answers. Now, these are mostly all shot in the dark questions, and some are derived from my own personal hypotheses as to why I might have the fetish, but I'm hoping maybe they might help shed some light on a question I know has intrigued me since I joined the community. This is by no means scientific, but hey, we just might get lucky and hit on something worthwhile.

Again, I tried not to make any of the questions too personal, and I only ask those who are comfortable/as curious as I am to answer, and anyone who thinks of any other viable questions please feel free to add them, along with any general thoughts anyone might have about the origins of our fetish (as the subject will inevitiably come up at some point, and I hope it does). Consolidated knowledge is the most powerful kind.

Questions:

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome?

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interested in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)

4) Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?)

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involve sneeze-related things/actions?

6) Were you breastfed?

7) Were you raised in the country, city, or suburbs until age 4?

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?)

9) What is your ethnicity, as you define it?

10) What is your social class, as you see it? (Upper, Middle, Lower)

11) What is your birth order relative to your other siblings? (Ex: Oldest of three, second youngest of 5, only child, etc...)

12) What is your education level? (Some High-school or less, High-school graduate, Some College/Post Secondary, Associate degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Professional degree or Doctorate degree).

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... :P)

Thanks to anyone who participates!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome?

No, not what I know of.

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interesting in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

No, never. My sister, however, seems to share my love for noses and will often discuss them with me (and we seem to have the same taste in them as well :P ) For example, if I compliment on a man's appearance, she will go: "Yeah, he's hot, I love his nose!" I don't know how important this is, but still. I think it's interesting :lmfao:

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)

I was in daycare from when I was 1,5 years old till I was 5.

Yes, my dad has. *shudders* To birch pollen (which also happens to be my favourite cause ;) )

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involved sneeze-related things/actions?

No other real fetishes, only strong turn-ons. Like suits, and men crying.

6) Were you breastfed?

Jup.

I was raised in the small town I still live in.

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?)

Yes. The earliest fetish memories are from the age of 3 - 4.

Nope

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interesting in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

Nope I dont think so.

Yes I believe I was baby sat since I was like 1

My Ma is allergic to a bunch of things, many not related to sneezing though, stuff like shell fish and medicines.

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involved sneeze-related things/actions?

Well I guess, but nothing out of the ordinary

6) Were you breastfed?

I dont know. I dont think I was.

Suburbs

I would say since 1st grade.

I grossly messed up on the bolding thing sorry. I dont know how to do it well :P

Nope.

No -- although they would sometimes go overboard on blessing or call attention to sneezing themselves, I don't think they had any particular interest in it similar to mine.

Both, since before age 1.

Nobody I am related to (well, maybe some second cousins or something) has allergies that effect them nasally.

No, this is the only one.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

I was born, raised, and continue to live in a busy city.

Yes; I cannot remember when this started. It's been a part of me since before I can remember, as it is with most of our members.

I hope I could help! Good luck.

Questions:

no

no

yes went to school when I was 2,5

no

no

6) Were you breastfed?

no

suburbs

yes, it has always been there...

Oooh! fascinating!

No.

Neither has shown any direct interest in sneezing. My mother is a bit of a germophobe though and is pretty much obsessively fascinated with colds. Her behaviours, both when around those with colds and when she has a cold herself are very odd. She talks excessively about others with colds being contagious and gets very worked up moaning if people attend meetings, come to the house or allow her to visit them when infected without warning her. However when she has a cold herself she carries on attending things much as normal (well unless they are things she wants to get out of). I challenged her on this a year or two ago when she was in the early (probably most infectious) stages of a cold and she replied that she thought she wouldn't be infectious any longer. I have been suspicious for a long time that her obsession with colds might well have been what triggered my love of them.

The only other, possibly salient point here is that one of my early memories (not sure how early) is that my sister taught me to induce. That seems, in retrospect rather an odd thing to have happened. It would be interesting to know what percentage of non-fetishists enjoy sneezing enough to bother inducing themselves.

No. I went to a playgroup probably from being about three but don't have many memories.

Not really, although my mother often claims to.......hmmmmmm......though I've never seen any of it in action.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

No.

Suburbs

Yes, as long as I can remember.

I don't believe so.

No, but my mom is particularly obsessive about getting me and my brother well if we're sick, so much so that if I sniffle anywhere near her, she turns and asks, "Who sniffled?" >=(

I was babysat often by family members, and went to pre-school, which is essentially a day care, around age 3-4.

I'm not really sure.

Well... a little bit.

6) Were you breastfed?

I don't know.

Suburbs.

Yes, as long as I can remember.

Not that I know of. Practically everyone in my family has intense OCD though.

No.

No.

No.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbs.

Forever, man.

1) No.

2) No.

3) Babysat.

4) Dad had hayfever, Mum has hayfever (it can't be unseen!).

5) Only your touch, Mute, my love.

6) Yes, and apparantly I was too rough so my brother (2 years younger) was not.

7) Village on outskirts of large town.

8) Yes.

9) White British.

10) Verrry middle class.

11) Eldest, one brother.

Questions:

I have some similar asberger lik symptoms according to my doctor

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interesting in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it). Yes, many times

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? Yes, 2

4) Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?) Yes/Unknown

Yes, glasses + long hair

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbs, same town, same house.

Yes, but the only memory was around ages 4-6

Not that I know of.

Not particularly.

I was babysat by my grandparents occasionally, but my mom was a stay at home mom until I was 11.

None.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

In the country. On a farm. until about a month ago.

Always. always always always.

No.

No, but my mom has a thing for big noses.

I was babysat from a pretty young age - 1 or 2, I think. I was in daycare by 3, if not earlier.

No.

A little bit of a thing for bondage, but no where near on the level of sneezing.

6) Were you breastfed?

You know, I always assumed I was, but I can't really say for certain!

Suburbs.

I always remember my fascination starting up at about age 4 or 5, when watching "Snow White," but obviously memories from such an early age can be a little sketchy.

Well, good luck in your endeavor! I look forward to seeing what results you come up with.

no

Om not sure. Maybe my mom. She is always watching me when i sneeze and bleesing me right after but im not sure.

yes. from newborn until about 10.

nope.

nope

6) Were you breastfed?

no

country

i think it started around 4, one of my daycare teachers was always sneezing.

No.

No.

No.

No. I think my mother used to, but I never actually got to witness it.

Yes, although more weakly than the SF.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Always lived in a city.

Yes.

Questions:

Nope

I wrote about this before. When I was young, I remember that my mother use to make herself sneeze. It made me nuts. :wub: I shared a bedroom with my mom till I was about 11. She use to think I was asleep and she'd be on her bed across the room making herself sneeze with a bobby pin. :D

No. I lived with my mother, and my grandparents. When my mom worked, I was with my grandmother.

My mother developed them late in life.

Not really. I mean there are certain things about a man that turn me on. Like I have a thing for men's adams apples. But I wouldn't call it a fetish.

6) Were you breastfed?

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I'll have to ask my mom on Saturday when she comes to dinner. Nice table talk. :laugh:

Suburbs

Pretty much, yes.

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome? No.

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interesting in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it). No.

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)Sure. My sisters babysat me quite often (me being the baby of the family)

4) Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?) Hay Fever. Both of them.

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involved sneeze-related things/actions? No.

6) Were you breastfed? Yes.

7) Were you raised in the country, city, or suburbs until age 4? The burbs.

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?) Yes... since birth.

Thanks to anyone who participates!

Questions:

No.

Yes, it seems like they enjoy sneezing more than the average person, plus if someone brings up the subject, they seem to feel awkward.

Yes. When I was really young. Possibly around 1 yrs old.

Dad-Dust, Cats

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbs.

Yes, I have been.

no

no

I attended preschool when I was almost 3 I think. Prior to that, my grandparents watched me during the day.

My dad seems to be allergic to dust, but this is a relatively recent development.

Not really, but I recently decided I go weak over strong men fainting. ^^ A considerable amount of my childhood stories also involved amnesia or some other weakness. Also rather than the sneeze itself, I prefer it when they just try to hold it back. All-in-all I think I just like vulnerable men :bleh:

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes

I lived in the city, but my grandparent's house was suburbs. I think I spent most of my life there.

My memory is so bad, most of my life is a hazy blur. I don't even remember much of last year or yesterday for that matter. So I can't put a date on it, but I would fathom a guess around age 6 or so, which is where most of my memory starts from. However I did not classify it as a fetish until I accidentally discovered this forum during my university years.

Nope.

Not really.

My mother was a stay-at-home-mom up until I was about seven, then when she got a job I was placed in the YMCA after school program. So no, nothing before age 4.

Dad - hayfever. Mom - Cats.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

I'm pretty sure, yes.

Suburbs, yes.

Yes.

** Also an interesting thing to think about, is that such a significant portion of sneeze fetishists (including myself) have an overly strong dislike or phobia of vomiting.

I wonder why that is?

Questions:

I think I have a second cousin who has it

I thought that they focused on allergies much more than most parents, and were very concerned with who was sneezing in our house and why.

I vaguely remember being in daycare at 3, and also day camp between the ages of 3 and 4. Also pre-school.

Both are allergic to dust, mom is also allergic to tree pollen, and dad is a photic sneezer

Yeah I have another one that I haven't talked about here too much, but I'm pretty sure my parents were well aware of my obsession with it

6) Were you breastfed?

No. I nearly starved because of this.

Suburbs

Yeah

Questions:

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome? Not that i knew of, no.

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interesting in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it). "Interesting" or "interested" :D? But .. no, not that i could recall.

No. I was "babysat" around the age of 10~14 but not before. I was in "Kindergarten" when i was little though.

4)Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?)

Nope, gladly not. My step mom has allergies to some kind of food but no sneezing there and my dad only remarried some years ago.

Ehhm.. yeah, one :bleh:. But shhh don't tell anyone :wub:.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes

Hmm in a city... more a small one though, closer to a village in some peoples terms i suppose around 14.000 inhabitants back then.

Yeah, for as long as i can remember. Granted my memory sucks and i don't remember that much from my early ages (1~5 or something) but i think i can recall some events that definitely fall into the fascinated category.Can't say for certain, but i am pretty sure i was. I'm totally 100% sure about anything after my early childhood though.

No.

No. Occasionally my parents will make some remark about sneezing, without seeming interested at all- exactly what I would not do.

Not before age 4.

My dad sometimes says he sneezes more often in the spring, so he may have very mild hayfever. But no real obvious allergies.

I do have a thing for cute underwear on women. However, since underwear has sexual connotations anyway, I don't think that really counts as a fetish.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

In the suburbs.

Yes, pretty much. My organised memories start at about age 5, and I remember that sneezing was interesting and significant to me then.

No.

No.

Babysat from age of about 3, no daycare before school

My father was a photic sneezer.

Not really .. if you count handkerchiefs as sneeze-related

6) Were you breastfed?

No

Suburbs - medium sized town

Yes, my memories start at about age 7, and I remember that sneezing was interesting and significant after that age

I've often thought that several people n my family have mild Aspergers' type tendencies, but these have never been diagnosed. Lots of milt-to-less-mild OCD though.

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interested in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

No, nothing like this at all, thank god.

Not before that. I was babysat semi-regularly at 4 or 5 once I started going to school.

Neither have documented allergies, but both of them sneeze far too often for my liking. Eugh.

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involve sneeze-related things/actions?

Nope. Other than the sternutory function and its affiliates, all that does it for me is sex with sexy people.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yup. Until age 2.

In the country.

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?

It goes back as far as I can remember. I can definitely remember "funny" feelings about it at 4.

This is a really interesting idea, btw. Makes me wonder what kind of other trands we could find in our group. Ethnicity? Social class? Family position with regard to siblings?

Lots of interesting data so far, guys, and thanks very much to all those who have answered already.

Morningsmith, your new questions are pretty intriguing too - particularly the "family position with regard to siblings". I'll definitely go and add those onto the original, and we'll see what comes up. Anyone who's already answered can feel free to check back in and answer Morningsmith's further ones too. It'll be interesting once everything's totaled up to see whether the proportions reveal anything atypical, or whether most of our trends reflect those that would typically be expected given their proportions in the total population...

Archived