Sneeze Fetish Forum

A Forum-wide survey

The Mute Poet

Very interesting questionnaire, Mute. Sorry to take so long to answer.

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome?

I have certain Asperger’s characteristics (am rather obsessive, have an irrational love of routine, etc.) but not others (for example I love being touched…).

Why do you think there might be a link between sneeze fetishism and Asperger’s?

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interested in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

No, I'm positive they are not.

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)

No, but did go to kindergarten - or equivalent - before that age.

4) Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?)

No. My father never sneeze more than a single, ever. My mother can go to ten easily. But I never seem to have noticed this as a child.

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involve sneeze-related things/actions?

Yes

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes

7) Were you raised in the country, city, or suburbs until age 4?

city, mostly, but in different countries

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?)

yes, as early as I can remember. I had the neighbour's kid sniffing washing powder when I was 6.

9) What is your ethnicity, as you define it?

European (the French do not believe in ethnicity!)

10) What is your social class, as you see it? (Upper, Middle, Lower)

?

11) What is your birth order relative to your other siblings? (Ex: Oldest of three, second youngest of 5, only child, etc...)

In fact my mother and my father both had a baby before I was born but both died young. So in effect I'm the eldest.

12) What is your education level? (Some High-school or less, High-school graduate, Some College/Post Secondary, Associate degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Professional degree or Doctorate degree).

the last one

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... tonguesmiley.gif)

music, swimming and other stranger ones...

I hope you will give us your interpretation of the findings.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just a hunch I came up with after having learned about the early-childhood fixation tendancies of people diagnosed with Asperger's, and just speculating whether the fetish could possibly evolve from being one of those fixated actions. It was also about the time that a thread about Asperger's was popular in the Pit, and it seemed to me that there might be a relatively high proportion of people diagnosed with the condition amoung our members, as compared to what would normally be expected given our numbers.

I'll definitely make an effort to once the thread has died down. Though as krazykat indicated before, I can't promise anything statistically significant - just descriptive :D.

Just answering the added questions:

Scandinavian

Middle

11) What is your birth order relative to your other siblings? (Ex: Oldest of three, second youngest of 5, only child, etc...)

I'm the oldest of three.

12) What is your education level? (Some High-school or less, High-school graduate, Some College/Post Secondary, Associate degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Professional degree or Doctorate degree).

Uhm, Gymnasium graduate, now at University.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... )

Reading/writing, music, and theatre.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions:

1) Have you or anyone in your immediate family ever been diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger's Syndrome?

None that I know of ... And I know quite a fair bit.

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interested in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it).

Both my parents are indifferent towards sneezing, as far as I can tell.

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)

Babysat occasionally by my uncle or grandparents. Just those random times both my parents had to leave the house. Nothing routine.

From the time I was born.

My mom claims to, but I never witness any symptoms.

My dad has pollen allergies in July. I don't know to what.

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involve sneeze-related things/actions?

I have interests. Nothing strong enough to classify as a fetish.

6) Were you breastfed?

I honetsly have no idea.

In the city.

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?)

Not as long as I can remember. I must have been about 10 when the fascination started..... I'd love to know what triggered that.

Canadian. 5 or 6 paternal generations of Canadian. Before that, Irish. 2dn maternal generation Canadian. Before that Italian.

I am lower. My family is Upper Middle

Oldest of two.

Two college diplomas, Two different fields of study.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... tonguesmiley.gif)

Writing/Reading, sleeping, music.

It's just a hunch I came up with after having learned about the early-childhood fixation tendancies of people diagnosed with Asperger's, and just speculating whether the fetish could possibly evolve from being one of those fixated actions. It was also about the time that a thread about Asperger's was popular in the Pit, and it seemed to me that there might be a relatively high proportion of people diagnosed with the condition amoung our members, as compared to what would normally be expected given our numbers.

I had similar thoughts, and I remember discussions on this topic in chat. But we don't seem to have come much farther with it. Still, it's certainly something to keep in mind.

I'll definitely make an effort to once the thread has died down. Though as krazykat indicated before, I can't promise anything statistically significant - just descriptive :).

Just doing the additional questions:

Northern Mediterranean (white-ish).

I don't believe in classes! But I guess I should be upper middle.

(Very) youngest of four.

Master's, so far.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket, farming... :))

Reading, listening to music, singing.

No.

No.

I went t playgroup age 1-3, and 3-6 attended a Montesory school,

My dad, probably pollen, but never tested. My mom, mold, bleu cheese, and pollens

um... tickling but even that I can tie into my sf if i want to.

6) Were you breastfed?

No.

Small town.

I remember being about four I think.

German/Italian/Polish/French-Candian/Irish

Lower-middle. probably lower now,... lol

That depends: If we count my two half sisters (ages: 46 and 44) then I am the youngest. But I was raised as an only child, because they were both out of the house before I was born.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions:

No.

Neither.

Not regularly. Just seldom.

No.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbs.

I can remember ever sense I was little, they always fascinated me and made me laugh.

Classified

Middle.

Only child.

In College, high school complete.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... :))

Travel, reading, music.

I may be too late to answer, but what the hell. I'll do it anyway. I get to talk about myself! :)

No.

Noooo...and thank God for that. *shudders*

No.

No. Again...thank God. *shudders again*

No. (Gosh, I'm quite boring.)

6) Were you breastfed?

No.

Suburbs

Yes, absolutely. Earliest memory is back to age 3 or so.

100% cracker. :) Kidding. Irish and German.

Upper middle

Oldest of three.

Doctorate

Hiking, surfing, writing.

ETA: Clearly I can't count, since you only asked for THREE hobbies. :)

I'm late to answer too. :) But I've got some time to kill.

No.

No

yes - infancy through age 4

No.

No.

6) Were you breastfed?

No.

Suburbs

Yes - earliest memory around age 3

White. American. Surname sound German, but after tracing the family tree back for hundreds of years I still can't find an ancestor not born in America.

middle

Oldest of three.

Bachelor's

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming...)

Music, video games, jewelry

no

2) Have you ever thought/had the impression that one or both or your parents were overly interested in a sneezing situation, especially in that they seemed to react how you might have? (If so, please describe it). kind of.. I feel like my dad goes out of his way to bless people! My mom loves to be blessed and will usually complain when she isn't.. UGH

3) Were you babysat or placed in a daycare before the age of 4? (If so, at what age?)yes - infancy through age 4

4) Do your parents have allergies? (If so, which ones?) Ugh.. Yes. Mom-- seasonal, dust, perfumes and mildly allergic to cats. Dad-- seasonal, grass

5) Do you have one or more fetishes that do not involve sneeze-related things/actions? I have "interests" but no other fetishes.

6) Were you breastfed?

No.

7) Were you raised in the country, city, or suburbs until age 4?Suburbs

8) Have you liked/been fascinated by sneezing for as long as you can remember? (If not, then around what age did it start?)Yes

White. American. English/German/Scottish

middle

11) What is your birth order relative to your other siblings? (Ex: Oldest of three, second youngest of 5, only child, etc...)Only child

12) What is your education level? (Some High-school or less, High-school graduate, Some College/Post Secondary, Associate degree, Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, Professional degree or Doctorate degree).Some college

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming...)music, reading, photography

nope

Sometimes I wonder about my mother...but I'm not sure

no

yeah, dad has all the spring allergies

Well, sickness in general...if that counts...and I think injuries in general may be there too...

6) Were you breastfed?

yeah

hm....more like the country/suburbs

hehe, yeah. Didn't recognize it until I was 12 though

White/American

Middle/lower until 15, Middle now

Oldest of 2

Some college--1.5 years (so far)

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... )

Reading, softball, clarinet...

Questions:

Not my immediate family, no. But my aunt on my mom's side is.

also, no, not my parents. Although. My Gramma always did make a big fuss. Not like a reaction that I might have, but generally a lot of hubbub. Hahaha. I actually remember getting annoyed at her at one point, which is weird, because I remember having this since forever, and that was just so annoying to me even back then xD (I was very young) I actually got in trouble for making fun of her at one point, because my parents thought i was jumping on the stairs. Well, because I used to run away and hide, because she would make such a big deal about it. so I got annoyed and I was on the stairs away from them, and I was mocking her like "achoo achoo achoo..." annoyedly, and my parents, great minds that they are, thought I was saying "and jump, and jump, and jump..." It's odd, I haven't remembered that in a while. I guess it's cool that they heard me wrong, though, huh?

Yeah, I was babysat by my Gramma all the time, but it mostly involved me sitting and watching my favorite movies and cartoons. (which I know, not because I remember, but because this continued later on into my later young years in exactly the same way.) Although we also used to play pretend kitchen.

THANK GOD NO

Um, not particularly. My fetishes center around sneezing and the nose in general.

6) Were you breastfed?

I don't know.

I was raised in a courtyard apartment place on long island until 4, at which point I moved into a log cabin in the woods, afterwhich I moved into a nice house in the suburbs, afterwhich I continued to move A LOT.

Definitely yes. I can't ever remember not being fascinated/obsessed/incredibly amused/pleased in general with sneezing.

I guess I'm what you'd call caucasian, although I have heritage from germany, russia, prussia, greece, poland, spain, puerto rico, england, and ireland.

lower-middle I guess, currently.

I'm an only child.

I'm currently a freshman in college.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming... :P)

I enjoy cooking, creative writing, and anything to do with music. I enjoy lots of other hobby-ish type things, too, but you only want three. so there's three. :)

Yeah, I was recently diagnosed with mild Aspergers

Nope

Yeah, because of the school years in Britain (probably in other countries too, never bothered to look) school years end AFTER the summer holidays, as in, as soon as they end, you're in the next year. Because I was born in the holidays, this means that I recieve my education as, what I percieve to be, a year early.

No

No

6) Were you breastfed?

Can't remember

City

I'm not sure, I remember enjoying watching kids shows with sneezing in it.

Caucasian (Is that what you meant?)

Middle-ish

Eldest (But I only have one other sibling :D)

I'm in High School (I think... I'm British, I don't know what Secondary school is, in America)

I like playing video games... a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Questions:

not that I know of

nope

no my mom has been a stay at home mom since I was born, nearly 20 years

my dad does to pollen

yup

6) Were you breastfed?

nope bottle fed

the city

yes

I'm white

middle

oldest of two

High school graduate, going to college at some point

hanging out wit friends, writing/reading, rock climbing/kyacking/swimming/hiking ect.

• 2 weeks later...

No.

No. I do remember my dad joking about blowing somebody away with a sneeze once, but he didn't seem to be "interested" in it at all, just playing on the normal TV sneeze thing.

Ummm... I don't think so.

Yes. General seasonal allergies, my mother to ragweed in particular, my dad to I'm not sure what in particular.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbia all the way baby!

Er... I don't have any memory of it until the third house that I lived in, which I believe we moved into when I was about 12. In fact, yeah, I'm pretty sure it started at 11 or 12. I'd get the feeling like I had to "go to the bathroom" when someone would sneeze on TV, especially if it was big.

Black.

Middle to upper-middle (my mom closer to straight middle, my dad closer to upper middle)

Oldest of two. I do have a step-brother in his 30s, but we didn't really grow up together.

I'm planning to get a batchelor's degree at the very least.

Acting, writing poetry, singing

I'd be more than happy to answer! This does sound interesting. I too hope that the sneeze fetish isn't inherited though. :)

No, I don't believe so.

No... Other things, but not sneezing.

Yeah, I was, when I was really little (one to two-ish) by a nice woman and her daughter who was just a few years older than me.

My mom has really bad alleriges. Ragweed, cats, dogs, birds, pollen, wool, flowers, a lot of things. None to food though.

If I do I don't know it. :drool:

6) Were you breastfed?

Hmm, I wonder how that connects. If I was breastfed, it wasn't for long. A couple days maybe.

We lived in the city until I was two and half. Then we moved to a cute little town where we still live. It's not in the country, though.

Gosh... I just remember watching cartoons like Scooby-Doo when I was six or seven and being mesmerized if the characters sneezed. I didn't know what it was, but I knew I liked it and that it made me feel good inside... TMI?

Caucasian.

Upper-Middle. We're not filthy rich, but we're certainly well-off.

11) What is your birth order relative to your other siblings? (Ex: Oldest of three, second youngest of five, only child, etc...)

My only sibling is a twin sister, and I'm the older of us. I think she might have the fetish too, but we don't talk about it. When were nine, she admitted to liking people sneeze and not knowing why, then never brought it up again. Knowing her personality, she might get upset with me if I talked about it. I think she'd deny that she did have the fetish and yell at me... *sigh* She can get really embarrassed about little things like this.

Some high school, almost complete.

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies?

Drawing, writing, working with animals.

I hope this helps! Not sure how it will, but good luck with your study!

• 2 weeks later...

We're pretty sure that my dad is mildly autistic.

Not particularly...

I was in daycare, which I went to instead of pre-school... I think I started going when I was 3 or 4

My mom has mild hayfever, dust and dander allergies. My dad doesn't have any.

I have a thing for yaoi...

6) Were you breastfed?

I think so, but not 100% sure

Suburbs

Basically as far back as I can think of... The earliest dream that I can remember having involved sneezing, and I was somewhere between 4 and 6 years old

White, of German, English and Irish descent

Upper-middle

Youngest child (with one older brother)

Still in high school

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming...)

Reading, singing and horseback riding

nope.

Nope, moms a complete germaphobe.

Babysat sometimes. I was in a music daycare for about a year

My mom does to our cat.... ew

not involve sneezing? Not that Im aware of.

6) Were you breastfed?

Yes.

Suburbs

Yes, I can remember being like 3 and being very fascinated.

Caucasian

Middle/upper

Oldest of 2

In Highschool

13) What are three of your main areas of interest or hobbies? (This can really be anything that you feel qualifies; cooking, fishing, music, cricket farming...

Music, writing, and dancing =]

Archived