Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Shiver Storm - (23 parts) - COMPLETE.

PaperThings

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry for the long delay. I was busy, and then I was kind of having writer's block, and then... yeah. I'm procrastinating from my historyy homework, but that's as good a reason to write as any, right? Mmm, I think so. So here we are! I know I said in the last chapter that there would be sneezes from all of them this time, but I think I may hold off on that. Just Martin still... er, tell me if you're actually anxious for me to make the other two sneeze... I am considering a few allergy ideas for coming chapters.

Part 6

---

The torrents of rain immediately flicked a switch in Martin, worsening his symptoms so visibly that it stirred panic into his companions. His translucent skin warbled under each drop, battered and papery; the glazed tones of his eyes squinted in anguish.

"Hahh-hahh..."

"Hold it if you can," Kerr whispered, thrusting Martin's arm over his neck. "We have to be as quiet as possible." Amalie bit her lip, taking Martin's other arm and thrusting her own around his bony waist. Back in the cold, the danger, she lost her earlier confidence. In the cave with Martin, focused on his health, it was not hard to ignore the rest; courage flooded her as long as danger avoided her step. Now that the Hunters were on her trail, she did not know how to do anything but crumble in terror.

"Are you okay?" she murmured, the words barely more than an outline on her lips. Her right hand gripped the rags of his shirt, bunching them tightly as he shook his head.

"No..." he got out, panting hard. "I can't - I'm - hihh..." The sight of his pulsing irises flickered, sliding back and forth between their beige curtains. "I can't..." he murmured, voice strangled. As she had lost the energy for mothering him, he lost the energy for dignity. Never mind that they were dragging him every step of the way, he could barely remain conscious in the intense cold.

"Shh, stop a second," Kerr said, grunting. "Let me listen." Amalie leaned closer into Martin's side, perhaps for comfort, and gazed into his tormented face. Shutters seemed to open and close on him, fast as lightening, and he could not let them lock long enough to release the sneeze. His muscles twitched, angrily glowing, and the tear-like appearance of the rain wrenched Amalie's heart all the further.

"I'm sorry," she murmured. "Kerr... are you sure?"

"No!" he hissed, soft but menacing. "He can't dare. We'll be killed!"

The corners of Martin's eyes tightened, tortured, and again he said, "I ca - heh - n't." The end inclined on a whine, and Amalie felt a tug under her hair as he tried to remove his hand.

"Oh!" she exclaimed softly, understanding. "No, don't," she murmured, "You'll fall!" She reached up her free hand, squeezing together his nostrils. "Okay," she said, uncertain, "Go ahead."

He misinterpreted her hesitance as disgust - not her concern for his health - and fought the needling tickle until his sinuses gave out. "Snngxxt!" he finally let out, only igniting the ember there. His nostrils flared into her tiny fingers, dripping and starving for release. But he wouldn't let them, not if he could help it. Maybe this wasn't a time for politeness, since he was already letting two Vision-children lead him through the forest and away from the Hunters, but that didn't mean he should lose all boundaries.

"Ama - lie..." he got out, lids slamming against his corneas again. Intuitively, she realized that he couldn't breathe, and slid her hand up his face.

"Sorry," she squeaked, and he shook his neck slightly in an attempt to dissuade her apologies. "Hih -"

"Shh!" Kerr grunted, face tight in fury. "I hear them coming!" He grabbed his sister's arm, tearing it from Martin's face. "I'll carry him," he said, "Run ahead."

"But Kerr, he won't be able to -"

"Here kid," Kerr said. With a display of his extraordinary athletic abilities, he tossed Martin into his arms and against his shoulder in a single movement. Shaking in terror, cold and an effort at swallowing the sneezes lodged in his septum, he recoiled as easily as far as he could without pulling away. He'd adjusted to Amalie's presence, her gentle care for him, but he did not know Kerr. "Try not to fall, okay?" the older boy instructed. Martin nodded, hiding in Kerr's shoulder against his will.

Amalie heard a muffled, pained, "Hhhmff!" just as Kerr spat at her to run. With a nod, a fleeting glance at the two remaining people in her life, she blazed past the world. Trees swam in her peripheral vision, mud splattered under the frozen soles of her feet. Her thoughts adhered closely to the boys behind her though, mostly full of worry. She could hear Kerr's even, careful trot - he was a better runner than she - but she kept ahead of him until, a blessing from fate, a town appeared.

Now she paused, almost sure the Hunters would not emerge from the forest's darkness. They were a lethal organization, nearly as wanted for arrest as Vision-children. Sure enough, Kerr raced toward her, a twitching Martin in his hold. The poor boy looked... breakable. Or perhaps already broken. If he had not been shaking so violently, the rain's abused canvas, Amalie would have assumed him dead.

"Oh Martin," she whispered, the combination of relief and fear nearly driving her to tears.

Kerr moved him onto the saggy pavement, where his face continued to waver in a search for composure. "I think we're safe... he can let it out if he wants. Listen," he looked into his sister's eyes, hands on her shoulders, "I am going to find an inn. No telling them who we are... if anyone asks, you're name's Nora and his is Liam. Okay?"

"Okay," she agreed, immediately. There was a pause as he stared at her, his eyes drinking in the only family member he had left.

After a moment swung between them, and Amalie's attention diverted from Martin long enough to fix on her brother, they embraced. "You will be safe some day, Amalie," he whispered. "I swear it."

"I love you, Kerr," she murmured, letting go.

"I love you too." He ruffled her filthy, sopping locks of her, swiping them back from her cheeks.

"Get medicine for him, if you can," she whispered, as he pixelated into the town. Then she dropped immediately to Martin's side, his body weak enough for her to pick up and hold onto. He was still convulsing, too frozen and conflicted to do anything but shake.

"Martin," she whispered, pressing him against her. "Martin? Martin, are you...." Asking him if he was okay seemed pointless, and so she let the concerned twist of her eyes express it all. He shivered a moment more, and then seemed to accept a slight of her warmth into his blood. Warmed enough to still, helpless and soaked, he fell against shoulder.

"Huhhhuhh," he rasped, the breath warm on her collarbone. She rubbed his back, as soothing as she could be. "It's okay," she said quickly, "You can um... it's safe now," she said. "We don't think they'll find us here."

Needing no other prompt, his lips barely parted and released a "hihhh" before his face compressed. His forehead shut foreword, against the very top of her back, and he could not even summon the strength to care.

"Tshoo! Tahsooo! Hashoo!" Each shot as easily as a snap of fingers, pricking his nose with its much needed release. They continued further, his jaw muscles sagging towards his ears each time; where the sneezes should have been a relief, they were painful. Each delivered another spasm of cold, another violent quake of his spine.

After at least ten wormed through him, heavy and desperate, an eleventh got stuck in his nose. "Hihhh - hah," he got out, face molding into an intense position of discomfort. A single drop of rain landed on the tip of his nose, sparking a frost into his nostrils. "HAHhhshoo!" he ejected, "hehkshoo! Shh'hoo!" It continued for another fifteen minutes, until Kerr returned, and Amalie held onto him as tightly as she could. She shut her eyes, wishing as hard she could. If nothing else happened, if they didn't survive the Hunters' quest, she wanted Martin to get better. She wanted him to heal, strong and tall enough to rule all the Kingdom.

---

Again, sorry for the long wait! :P I promise to try and be better about that from now on. Hope you liked this! :D

No worries about the delay, I'm glad you're writing! I put off history homework too. :P

Aw, poor kid. Such a cute story and with a plot too! :DDD

After at least ten wormed through him, heavy and desperate, an eleventh got stuck in his nose. "Hihhh - hah," he got out, face molding into an intense position of discomfort. A single drop of rain landed on the tip of his nose, sparking a frost into his nostrils. "HAHhhshoo!" he ejected, "hehkshoo! Shh'hoo!" It continued for another fifteen minutes, until Kerr returned, and Amalie held onto him as tightly as she could.

Ohhh this is nice. :P I really REALLY love this story and had despaired that you'd given up on it. I am INDESCRIBABLY HAPPY that you haven't! :D

Woah. I'm wondering why I haven't read this sooner. . .

Man, your plot and writing style has completely sucked me in.

I love it! :3

Ooooh, update! :wub: Very nice, as always :boom: One of my favourite things - someone trying to stop someone else from sneezing :hug: Thanks heaps for the update - let's hope you have more homework to procrastinate on soon, hmm? ;)

Toally second WolfMotaki.

If anything. the delay made the update even better!

Please continue when you can!

I will die without it!!!!!!!!!!!! ;):):)

just read through all this within the update and i must say

WONDERFUL i like like like it! ;)

hope there will be another update soon :)

keep it up if you can :)

ASDFGHJKL I THINK I DIED AND WENT TO HEAVEN AFTER READING THIS.

I've always wanted to be able to pull off writing in third person, but first person seems to be the only one I can write. Putting aside my envy, I love your writing style, and the plot is certainly very unique. I hope you don't mind constructive criticism [i don't mean to be insulting, just offering feedback]. The characters are very well-developed, but the story itself is a little too slow-paced. Don't leave me in the dark! I really want to know a little more about Vision children and the setting. I hope you don't take this as an offensive comment, as it is only meant to constructive criticism. Loving it so far otherwise, so I'm kinda hoping you decide to procrastinate on your homework again.

--Emily :lol:

I don't generally like non- fandom stories, but I thought the title of this one was interesting, so I clicked on it... and I'm SO glad I did! You have a very nice style, and I can't wait to read more!

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a writing mood to night, and not energized enough to work on my novel, so here's the next bit! Even though no one mentioned it, I decided to make Kerr sneeze after all, because I felt like it :lol:. Also... I'm toying with the idea of adding two characters to the story, so if you have an opinion on that, please tell me. I was so, so grateful for all of the feedback last chapter! You have no idea how you made my day, so thank you :lol:.

@ obsessed - ah, so THIS was where I remembered you from! :D It was so nice talking to you on the chat the other day, and I'm so happy you like the story!

@ starpollen - Yay, thanks so much! :lol: I'm so glad you like the story. Don't worry, I definitely haven't given up on it. Hopefully when school ends - only another month, thank God - I'll be able to update more.

@ melonbun - Aw, thanks! :D I'm so glad you're enjoying it!

@ Kiwifruit - Thanks!!! Haha, that's one of my favorite things to read/write too. Something just fun about it.

@ Aprilcot - :D I'm glad you didn't mind the delay. Thanks so much for commenting! I'll definitely do my best to continue regularly-ish.

@ Ciuty80 - Thanks so much! Hope you like the update :D.

@ Emily - Yay! Don't worry, I LOVE CC feedback, so thank you so much for the suggestion. I tried to take your advice here (though I must say, this is a bit of a set-up chapter) and I added some more backstory/information. There should be more coming though, if not next chapter, then the one after.

@ scarlett_ohara2 - Thanks :D. I'm really glad you think the story's good!

@ Rozesareblack - Ugh, I know, I am so, so sorry for the long wait :o. Life's just been incredibly busy, and... yeah. I hope you've forgiven me :D.

Part 7

- - -

Kerr took a look at himself and grimaced in disgust. Patches of caked dirt covered his peachy complexion; his clothes hung in rags about his body. No matter how politely he spoke to a citizen of this town, he was unlikely to be taken seriously. Every other step, he glanced backwards towards his sister. Martin. Never mind that he disliked the idea of her associating with boys, any boys, this one was a prince. An ill, possibly contagious, royal fugitive. She knew how to pick them, his sister.

All his life, he'd worried for Amalie. She was a fragile girl, easy to please but as easy to disappoint. While Kerr's visions were prophetic in the least dangerous sense of the words, Amalie's scared the hell out of the whole family. Shuddering slightly, he recalled the last one. They'd been in the living room; his dad had just put on some music. Then, as she was prone to do, Amalie doubled over. Her face froze in the pensive, vacant expression that scared him so; and when she'd come to, five solid minutes later, she was hysterical.

"They're coming here!" she'd sobbed, ignoring the cool washcloth their mother pressed on her face. "The Hunters! They're going to - they're going to -" Once she calmed down, she finished the story. In her vision, the Hunters wanted to burn down the village. Villages that contained an unreported vision-child - never mind two - were subject to punishment. It was all their fault, of course. They'd never breathed the children's powers to a soul, but somehow the Hunters found them anyway. They always did.

Amalie begged them to warn the rest of the town - after all, they were merely victims here; they hadn't known. Willing to do oblige their daughter no matter what the consequences, Kerr's parents had fled the house in the pursuit of a warning. They never returned. The Hunters lit the fire that night, killing every member of the town except the two they craved.

Kerr glared the memory away, hating the way it made him feel. His whole face stung, wanting to peel away; air bubbled at the back of his throat and nose, probably meaning her was near tears, or -

"HEKSHHHH!" Kerr doubled over with the force, the masculine carves in his face crumpling all at once. He sniffled back the oozing moisture, silently cursing the whole world. Great, now he'd gotten sick too. Probably whatever awful virus Martin had.

"Bless you, sir." Sir? Had someone called him Sir?

"Oh, thank you," he murmured, looking left and right. Where had the voice come from?

A woman descended from a nearby roof, a smile on her face. "You look as if you've had quite a day." She was pretty, dark hair and lashes framing her pale complexion. It made Kerr all the more embarrassed when he felt his nose rebel, discontented with the single sneeze.

His nostrils ticked dangerously, flying outward with their sniffly, shivery discomfort. "HIYSHOO! HEHHHK'SHOO!" He accepted the lacy, rose-colored doily thrust in his face, and tried to ignore the woman's wry smile. Hiding his face in its soft texture, pleasantly surprised by its tender odor, he inhaled with sharp pants "Hehhhhehh - hihSHOO!" His eyelids pushed into his face as if by vacuum, filling his eyes with irritated tears.

"Are you done?" she asked pleasantly, still smiling.

He nodded, feeling his cheeks redden. For once, he envied the younger boy's ability to control himself. Even when Martin didn't stifle, his sneezes were so gentle and quiet. Kerr's, on the other hand, came closer to resembling small explosions.

"Okay, bless you then." She giggled, kindly waving away his efforts to return the handkerchief. "Keep it," she said. "You look as if you need it."

For a second he wanted to retort, shove away any ideas she might have about his weakness, but then he saw his chance. "I - I do," he said, sniffing back another icy wave of sneezes. They would overtake him soon, but as long as he rubbed his nose - which he did, practically rupturing the raw skin with his knuckle - he could hold them at bay for now. "My sister and I, and an, uh, friend, are... traveling."

"Traveling?" Her hands went to her hips, the blue shade of her eyes suddenly cross. "Please... what's your name Sir?"

"Kerr. You don't need to call me Sir."

"Please Kerr, I may be a small town girl, but I'm far from stupid. The same thing that got us got you, didn't it?" His self-absorption ebbed long enough for him to take in the town. Piles of ashes on the street. Charred doorways. And, oh God, were those corpses on the doorstep?

"Hunters," he breathed.

"Yes." Her tone matched his in volume, and she stepped closer.

"You fared better than we did. We... my sister and I, we lost our parents. Our whole town."

She did not say she was sorry. Her face did not flicker with sympathy. "I lost my best friend. But - but she was one of them, so it serves her right."

"A -a Hunter?" He had the sneaking suspicion that she meant something else.

"A vision-child," she said, her face betraying emotion for the first time. Fear. "I know the Hunters are cruel, killing innocent people, but vision-children don't deserve to live. You know?"

What did he say to that? Did he agree? Did he tell her that he and Amalie were vision-child, just to make his point? Thankfully, in his surprise, his nose overpowered him once again. Spinning slivers of frost shot through his septum, puncturing it with quivering, speedy anguish. "Hihhh," the inhale was so shrill, it burned his throat raw before he could get out the sneeze. "ESHHHHH!" He bent at the waist, using her handkerchief as a way to hide. Then, realizing he needed more time, he brought a finger to his nose and traced the nostrils with a prickly touch. If he got it in just the right place "Hehh -" sometimes, it might provoke, "Hehhhh," a sneeze. "Hehhhshhh!" Or more than one, if he was lucky. "SHOO - TASHHOOO! HAKSHHH!" The last three spurt without a pause between them, leaving an itchy gully of liquid out his left nostril. He wiped it, embarrassed but glad for the distraction, and avoided the vision-child matter altogether.

"Listen, I was wondering if -"

"Wait," she said, her old, quick manner returning. "First of all, I didn't bless you." She smirked. "That means you're going to have to sneeze again - "

"Don't worry, I will," he muttered.

"And second," she said, speaking right over him, "My name's Cornelia."

"Cornelia," he said, ignoring the way his breath criss-crossed as he spoke. "I have a favor to ask." She gazed up with a haughty air, as if she'd expected this. "My family and I, we have no place to stay... I was wondering if...?"

"We could take you in?" She sighed. "Well, I would. But as you see," she gestured to the rubble behind them, "we're in a bit of a tight spot now. Can you pay?" She paused a moment, and then rushed on over his response. "I feel badly asking," she said, gently patting his sodden shirt sleeve, "but I don't think my father will let you take our spare room any other way. Unless... unless you want to work?"

"Sure," Kerr said immediately, knowing they had no other option. "Work would be fine. What do you need?"

"It seems almost funny to ask this," she said, nudging his pink nose with her fingertip (and provoking an irritated pant in the process), "but could you work as a doctor? We have many wounded and, well, if you have any experience at all, it would be - "

"Yes!" Kerr cried, surprising himself with his energy. "My sister," he said hurriedly. "She loves taking care of things. People, I mean. She'll be wonderful at it."

"Oh right, you did mention a sister," Cornelia said, peering over his shoulder. "But I don't see her."

"She's with her friend... Lyle." It seemed best to lie about his name, just in case she thought she remembered it. Unless they knew someone had a way of returning them to the palace, no one could discover Martin's true identity. "He's sicker than I am, actually. I can get them now."

"Alright," she said, pleased. "I'll wait here. Once we set her to work, I do insist on finding you new clothes. Your friend too, if he's as sick as you say." Kerr nodded fervently. "But wait," she called, grabbing his arm as he turned away. "You owe me a sneeze first. Remember? I didn't bless you?"

What an odd girl she was. "Uh..." Kerr stuttered, shrugging. Had she not been offering them help, and had not been so beautiful, he might have given her a glare or two. Giggling under her breath, she snatched the handkerchief from his hands. With a toss of her black hair, she shoved it at his nose with a flourish just rough enough to tickle. "HEHHTCHHUH!" he spurted, violent spray hitting his wrist.

She laughed, merry and delighted. "There. Bless you. Now, go get your sister." She slapped the filthy skin of his arm. "We need to get you better."

He sniffed a final time, torn between a smile and a grimace. "Couldn't agree more."

---

For once, I actually know EXACTLY what I'm going to do for the next few parts. Haha, yay, I feel productive. Thank you so much for reading the story everyone!

Thank you so much for reading the story everyone!

You're most welcome, the pleasure is ours! :lol: You are a very skilled writer. I love the plot you've got going and Kerr sneezing is brilliant :o I'm eagerly awaiting the next bit!

OHHHHH MY GOD, YOU ARE AMAZING. I can't even begin to fathom how someone could posess such talent. This truly is fantastic. I'M SO EXCITED TO READ MORE. Like, you have no idea. Update soon. PLEASE.

LOL!!!

I love where this is going!!!

Please continue quickly!!

I need more!

Regular-ish is fine by me, and delay's only highten the suspense! It kind of works!

Anyways, Please continue!!!! :laugh::D:blush:B)

Awww, thank you SO SO much you guys :laugh:. You have no idea how happy it makes me to know that people actually enjoy reading this :blush:.

Aww, I really liked it! And it was fun talking to you, come visit sometime. :laugh:

I would love to see more characters, do what you want!

Yay, thanks so much everyone! :lol: I'm so glad you guys liked the last part. Here's another one, both written and edited at way too late an hour... sorry if there are any mistakes!

Part 8

---

When Kerr reached his sister, he could barely feel anything but the mingling chips of frost in his chest. They constructed his air passages uncomfortably, and he found it hard to breathe.

"Kerr!" Amalie's tiny head snapped up, terror puddling her face in shades of gray. She did not rush towards him as she might have, for she was preoccupied; Martin's limp form lay frighteningly still in her arms, spasming jarringly about once a minute. A putrid feeling of concern welled up in Kerr's chest, as he wondered just how harm the rain had done to the poor boy; now that he felt chilled himself, his pity for the lost prince tripled in amount. "What - what happened to you?"

"What do you mean?" Of course, Kerr could not see the thick crust of red around his nostrils, the swollen color of discomfort round his eyes. He even missed the slight rasp accompanying his voice.

"You're - you're ..." she cut off, frowning.

"Sick," Kerr agreed, dropping down beside her. "But listen - "

"You're never sick, Kerr," she said quietly, nearly admonishing him. She looked down, embarrassed. "I told Martin you were invincible."

After this registered, it provoked a wry grin from her brother. Using his massive hand to sweep her dirtied hair, he tilted his head. Perhaps she did think that. He made a point of taking charge, acting the role of big brother - now pseudo-father - to her. She'd never seen him cry, not even in the days since their parents death. Chances are she hadn't seen him sick, either.

"Well, maybe so," he conceded, pulling her - and Martin's balled form - onto his lap, "but I think I may need you now, okay?" She nodded without question, earnest eyes peering up at him. "What do you need, Kerr?"

He took a deep breath. "I met a woman just now, Cornelia. She said that - " he cut off, abruptly swayed by a more powerful feeling. The glaciers in his chest crumbled, their debris streamlining up his neck and through his nostrils; the sensation came so quickly, so cold, that it reminded Kerr of fingernails lightly treading the skin of his arm. Cupping his fingers tight over his mouth, he bowed his neck towards the ground with tremendous urgency. "HeeEEHKSSH!" His features returned to status quo for a flickering second, long enough for Amalie to murmur 'bless you' and pat his shoulder. "HASHUHH!"

"Bless you," she uttered again, resting her chin on his arm. "Are you - "

He held up his finger, perching it beneath his nose to catch the third one. It hung in the air for a moment, and finally squirted out with resounding effort. "Hehh-hehggshhHU!" He waited for more, but they tiptoed back to the waiting area, far behind breaking point. Sniffing once, he rubbed his nose unkindly. "Sorry. Like I was saying, Cornelia offered us a room in her place. The only thing is, I'll need you to work Amalie." He could not look at her; she was so much younger than he, asking this of her felt wrong. Hadn't he once sworn to his parents that he would protect her, no matter what happened?

"Cornelia says they need a doctor - they were attacked the same way we were - and, well..." Now he snuck a glance, wanting to gauge her reaction. "Would you?" He hurried on straight away, the pounding behind his ears not helping his guilt. "If you feel you can't, or it would be too painful, that would be too painful... I just, I thought it might be something you're good at, and I don't know if I'm up to - "

Amalie cut him off then, leaning forward to hug him. She rested her cool cheek against the skin of his neck, soothing it. "You have a fever," she whispered, after a moment. "And Kerr... of course I'll do it. I can - I can handle more than you think I can."

"Once upon a time you said you'd rather die than walk any further." He didn't mean to ruin the moment, but the memory had clutched him closely since the day it happened. Not only was that the day they found Martin, but that was, well, a frightening incident for him. Did Amalie know just how deeply he feared losing her?

She stared at him for a moment, the edges of her gaze infused with something identifiable, and then Martin interrupted. A low whimper of agony came from somewhere in his throat, bubbling over a shrill gasp as he sneezed weakly "Ehhchhhu!" Small droplets of spray coated Amalie's shirt, clearly indicating Martin's extent of illness; he would never had allowed it, otherwise.

"I'm worried about him," Amalie whispered, holding Martin the way she might an injured dog. "He's so weak... every time he sneezes I worry it will break his jaw." Gentle as can be, she ran a hand along the chapped skin of his chin and lips.

"Well, he'll be better when we get him upstairs. Come, please. Cornelia promised to get us clothes."

"Really?" She could not hide the way her face lit up, thrilled by the sheer prospect of feeling clean again.

"Sure." He helped her to his feet, lifting Martin off the ground before she could ask. To his surprise, she protested.

"Wait, Kerr! You shouldn't do that. What if it - what if it..."

"Amalie," he began, wondering how good a lier he was. Well, he'd have to be good if they wanted to keep their identities concealed. "Relax. I'm as strong as ever," he said, forging a grin. "Carrying this kid two feet isn't going to make my cold worse, okay?"

"Okay," she said. But she propped up Martin's head herself, taking his arms so that Kerr only carried half the load. He had to admit, it made the job easier. "...Kerr? What about - well, do I have to work right away? I don't want to leave you two if - "

"I don't know when you have to start," he said softly. "We'll have to see. Don't worry though," he added, an afterthought, "I'll make sure Martin's taken care of."

"...Okay." But she still sounded unsure. When they arrived at the cottage, feet away from Cornelia's eager wave, Kerr gave a last whisper to his sister. He reminded her to call Martin Lyle, and then he turned the prince's face so it was hidden in his shoulder.

"Is this your sister?" Cornelia bent down slightly at Kerr's nod, smiling her beautiful smile at Amalie. "It's nice to meet you. Are you as sick as your brother?"

Amalie gaped at her for a moment, observing the smooth canvas of her skin. Did anyone have skin so perfect? "I'm - I'm alright."

"Excellent. Well, I have fresh clothes and handkerchiefs," she winked, "waiting up in the room. It's at the top of the stairs. Please take the back entrance, since, well... Father knows you're here, I told him, but he isn't the happiest about it. It's best if you avoid him for now, alright?" Another wink, and she still didn't let them get in a word edgewise. "I'll come find you for your job in the morning. Don't worry, it's all very simple... bandages and cough medicine and the like. I'll see you then." She waltzed off without a backwards glance, dark hair swinging in tassels behind her.

"This way," Kerr coaxed, walking in the direction Cornelia had pointed. He could not help it; the mere prospect of fresh clothes and handkerchiefs... wonderful. His nose had begun to burn again, a steady steam that would surely not disappear on its own.

They entered through a straw door, finding a darkened set of stairs before them. Kerr grunted with the effort of hauling Martin up each step, and Amalie hummed softly in worry.

"Maybe..."

"It's fine, Amalie," he said, breath huffing. "Just go and open... HaekSHUH!" His waist whirled with a violent contraction, expertly avoiding Martin's tousled hair. He panted a moment more, wondering if any others would come, and then waved Amalie on. "... the door." He sniffed furiously, forcing back the contents of his nose. "Thangs." She pattered forward, managing to open the tremendous olive door after several tries; it finally sprung into her grasp, revealing a bare-bones spare bedroom. Two cots and a ratty armchair, an ajar door that led to a simple washroom. It would do. It would practically be heaven after all this time away from society.

"Clothes!" Amalie squealed, giddy at the sight of the linens. She pulled the top of the stack - a dark, too-large t-shirt and baggy pants - into her hands, clutching them against her chest. Her face fell too quickly for Kerr's liking, though, as she settled back into reality. "I see a washtub," she said, "we should - we should give Martin a hot bath." Her cheeks reddened and she glanced sideways at her brother.

He sighed. "I'll do it. Just... put his clothes in there, alright? A pair you think might fit?" Relieved, she appraised the outfits with care before selecting the most appropriate ones, and then hurried into the bathroom to fill the tub.

"Thank you Kerr," she whispered, scurrying back out. "I'm sorry... It'll be your turn next, okay?" Martin looked half-conscious now, his eyelids fluttering promisingly. Or perhaps he needed to sneeze again; he hadn't since they entered the room.

He smiled, rubbing his index finger across his nose. "Sure. Don't worry about it, Amalie." To the mingling sound of splashing and sneezes, Amalie tried on the new clothes. She could barely stand her desire to go and steal the clean water away from them, but of course she couldn't. They needed, she didn't, and the clothes would have to be enough for now. Satisfied by the soft touch of the cotton, she sprawled onto the armchair and felt her eyes drift shut... sleep without the pressure of danger, how nice.

"Amalie?" Kerr emerged from the bathroom, a thick line of mucus trailing his left nostril. The steam from the bathroom must have provoked it. "Can I hah... have one of -" His hands flapped anxiously around his face, and she located the thin rags beside her on the chair. Were those the 'handkerchiefs' Cornelia mentioned. Either way, she handed one to her brother, waiting patiently as he struggled with his nose.

"Hehh... hehh - hih " he lowered the cloth for a moment, letting his nose seep teasingly, and then finally jerked into the cloth with relief, "HAHCHHHFF!" He tilted his head back, lips parted, but then sighed. "I hate it when they go away. Martin's - Martin's getting dressed I think... but Amalie," he crouched in front of her, his nostrils twitching as he whispered to her, "I think he's gotten worse. ...Hallucinating, even." She paled, and he took her hand. "He'll be out in a minute, just... be prepared."

Swallowing, she nodded. "I am."

"Okay." He nabbed the last shirt and pants from behind her, giving a wave. "I'm taking my bath then, I'll be done soon. Call if you need me." He doubled over just before he reached world, face released from its silent rally in a resounding "YESHHEEWW!" Grinning slightly to himself, he trotted back into the bathroom.

Amalie let herself feel joy for nearly a minute. Kerr might be sick, but they were safe, at least momentarily. Her contentment vanished when Martin emerged. She had never seen a face so pale, as if it made fade from sight at any moment. Though his hair looked cleaner, its dark color made the skin of his face even more alarming. He was wearing his new clothes, a thick towel wrapped around shoulders, but every inch of his body shivered out of his mind's control. The shock barely registered on her face, Amalie opened her arms for him to approach her.

He obeyed numbly, pausing to sneeze thrice before he reached her. "Hishoo! Eishoo! 'Choo!" He tried to catch each in his hands, but his fingers trembled uselessly and the sneezes hit the floor instead.

"What happened?" She pulled him into her arms before he could notice, guiding his head to her shoulder. "What happened?" she repeated, more softly this time. Although he was bigger than she, holding him was easy to do. Somehow he fit in her arms.

She felt the rending quake of bones beneath her hands and pulled him tighter to try and stop it; he did not stop shaking, but the desperate inhale of his breath became more audible. "Hehh..." She watched him reach instinctively for his nose, wanting to pinch it shut, but she took his hand.

"Please Martin," she said softly, peering into his teary eyes. "What's wrong? How do you feel?" She dropped his hand to feel his forehead, frowning at the searing temperature.

"You're -"

"Aykshoo!" It sounded frail, though it hit the the skin of her neck with as much force as ever.

"Sorry," he tried to say, the word thick.

"It's okay," she whispered, wrapping both arms around his back. "Don't apologize. Please Martin," she said, hearing herself start to whine. "Tell me what's wrong." As if in answer, his shuddering worsened, nearly wrenching her hands apart with its force. "...Martin?"

Silence spread between them, and Amalie had nearly given up when she felt something wet hit her skin. She glanced down; a teardrop. They started coming in greater multitudes, soaking the shoulder of her new shirt. When Martin opened his mouth, his breath spooled as unevenly as his ailing body. "It was so cold..." he whispered at last, sniffing hard. "They locked me in a room at it was so cold there, Amalie." He surprised her by gripping the ends of her shirt, scrunching them tightly in his fists. He stopped shivering then, and instead his shoulders began to jerk with sobs.

"The Hunters?" she breathed, hating herself for not considering this sooner. Of course he'd feel traumatized by what happened with them.

His only response was a slight whimper, a shift of his leaking eyes into her sleeve. "I can't think about anything else sometimes," he choked, barely able to utter the words. "It's so - HehHiyshoo!... It's so cold." The sneezes abated for a moment then, long enough to allow him time to cry in peace.

Feeling her heart hurt with his suffering, Amalie patted his hair the way her mother used to do for her. She had no idea how else to help.

Publish!!!!!! Seriously! I will buy a dozen copies! Soooo gooood...your writing style and your characters and the plot and the sneezes...one of the best stories on here EVER. Amazing!!

woooow :D

this is so AMAZING! :rolleyes:

i feel sorry for martin and kerr so ADORABLE :boom:

i do like your writing sooo damn much :blushing::blushing:

please more im begging :cryhappy:

Archived