Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Shiver Storm - (23 parts) - COMPLETE.

PaperThings

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all WAY too sweet :D and I'm SO glad you like the story so much! *squee* Haha, it's like my DREAM to get something published, but I always worry that's a while off. :rolleyes: Thank you so so much everyone!

Publish!!!!!! Seriously! I will buy a dozen copies! Soooo gooood...your writing style and your characters and the plot and the sneezes...one of the best stories on here EVER. Amazing!!

^_^ YES.

You're all the nicest people ever, and I'm so glad that you like the story! Your comments make me feel all giddy, as if I actually have a chance of being a writer someday :lmfao:.

Here is the next part! There's not much sneezing until the end I'm afraid, mostly because I had to get some plot stuff in there :P. The new character is introduced here! I do plan on making him sneeze at some point, but probably from allergies rather than a cold. Anyway, I hope you like it :hug:.

Part 9

---

Unfortunately, things did not improve as easily as the refugees had hoped. After a sleepless night, in which Amalie stubbornly refused to release Martin from her arms, she began work with the wounded citizens.

So many wounds lay gaping, waiting for her hands to repair them with bandages. These people were burned and left in ashes, all because of the Vision Children. Though it was useless, Amalie felt an overpowering sense of guilt each time she set a broken leg or arm. Perhaps this catastrophe was the Hunters' doing, but only because of her. Those like her. They should just turn themselves in now and spare themselves the pain.

"Are you alright, Dale?" she asked kindly, applying the last stitch to his forehead.

"Oh," he panted, whistling through the pain, "I guess so. Just... do you think I'll be able to - to work after this? How long after?" Dale's left leg was badly burned, knee to calf, and he'd received serious head injuries when he tried to rescue children from the school.

Amalie grimaced, guessing not too soon. "I'm not - not a medical expert," she replied, avoiding his gaze." Gently snipping the thread, she forged a smile. "You should really ask Cornelia." Her eyes flickered automatically to the woman, a feeling of uneasiness deep inside her. Cornelia had not left her side since the morning, though her presence did not come in any comforting or helpful manner. Cornelia preferred to stand close and observe Amalie's every move, her posture erect and intimidating; she occasionally bestowed shards of praise, mostly regarding Amalie's ability to absorb technique, but otherwise she was silent.

"I couldn't say either, Dale," Cornelia said, her voice spreading over his bedside like melted chocolate. "It depends how well you take care of yourself." She gave a delicate smile, winking at Amalie as if they shared a private joke. "Amalie," she said, using her commanding voice again. "Could you maybe get more towels from the bathroom? I think we need some." She paused, the knells of laughter just under her tongue. "I think I can send you back upstairs after that. You've helped me very much today, and I think your traveling companions need you more." Amalie did not like the speck of humor in her eyes, that mocking jaunt. Still she smiled, thanking Cornelia and running to fetch towels.

"Oh!" Amalie exclaimed, hands clapping together in surprise. No one had answered her knock, so she'd assumed the bathroom was empty, but the room's floor was occupied by a twitching, murmuring boy. He looked older than she certainly, maybe Martin's age. She smiled, wondering if she had ever seen hair so light. It fell to his shoulders, almost as long as a girl's. She found that she liked the innocent ruddy shade of his cheeks, the unfocused blue - wait! Of course! She'd only ever seen Kerr have sleep visions, and of course she couldn't watch herself, but she felt an instinctive certainty that this boy was just like her - a Vision Child!

Before she felt worry or panic or any other precautionary emotion, Amalie could not deny that irresistible spring of joy around her heels. She had not even been looking for a kindred, not consciously, and yet she'd found one! Oh how she hoped he would wake up, so she could talk to him. Maybe she could hear his visions!

But slowly, rationally, her fears returned. The boy had not spoken, only rolled manically across the peach tiles. Maybe he wasn't a Vision Child after all. And hadn't Kerr mentioned that the people here detested Vision Children, blamed them for the Hunters' presence? Yes, he had mentioned that, she remembered, because that had prompted the deeper pleat of nerves about working with the townspeople. Of course, that could explain why he'd retreated to a bathroom...

All at once, the sound of his voice sliced through her imaginings. "Traitor, traitor," he slurred, revealing his full face to her as he sat up. Amalie had to restrain from taking his hands - she reminded herself that physical affection did not help one through visions - for she noticed that, in fact, this boy was quite handsome.

"One will betray," he rasped, sweat raining down his pale sugary complexion, "one who proceeds from the place of sorrow. One will prove their disservice for those in seek of justice." An invisible sheen lifted from his eyes, and his consciousness returned. Amalie watched with inexplicable pleasure as liveliness soaked through his blue eyes.

She watched as he spotted her slowly, eyes carefully drifting to her face. "Who - who are you?" he whispered. She watched his face contort, afraid. Vision Children were clearly not a desired presence.

"No, it's okay," she said hurriedly, grabbing his hands. He glanced down at their entwined fingers, face flashing through expression after expression. She wanted to ask what he was thinking, she did, but there wasn't time. "I'm like you," she whispered. "My brother, too. We're escaping from the Hunters and finding our way to the palace, because we've found the kidnapped Prince," his gape widened, and she nodded,"but you can't tell anyone. He was taken by the Hunters too. I'm working here as a nurse until he and my brother get better, because both of them are sick..." she trailed off, struggling for breath and feeling embarrassed. Did she really tell him all of that? How childish! Also, how dangerous. If he dared tell...

"I - I've never held hands with a girl before," he whispered, gaze locked on her face. Before Amalie could reply, ask if he could please keep her secret, the door swung open.

Cornelia towered over their grasped hands, frowning disapprovingly. "Amalie, you really shouldn't take so long. I needed those towels. And Cad -" she paused, gaze softening the tiniest degree. Even so, Amalie could not shake the feeling that her kindness was an act. "Cadogan, I know you're sad about your sister," she kneeled beside him, hand on his elbow. "I am as well. But you can't let it take your life this way. Especially, well... you understand why she was killed, don't you?"

All at once, Amalie understood. She understood by the suppressed look of mutiny in the boy's - Cadogan's - face. His sister had been a Vision Child as well, only she had died for her burden. That's why he kept his a secret.

"Go upstairs, Amalie," Cornelia instructed, narrowing her eyes. "I think your brother needs you."

"Yes," Amalie replied. "Ma'am," she added, as courtesy. "Thank you." And she scurried off, past the room of ailing victims and up the rickety staircase. She flung open the door to their cube of space, feeling a sense of relief over her return.

"How - ?"

"KESHHHH!" Kerr was doubled over into a handkerchief - the last clean one, judging from the pile on the floor. All the skin of his face was red, billowing open with the fighting moisture, as if he'd been sneezing all day long.

"Bless you," Amalie greeted, patting his arm. "Are you - "

"HESHHYAH!" His neck snapped downward, just to the left of her, and Amalie jumped away.

"Kerr!" she exclaimed, watching him sway in his seat. Carefully, she lowered him to the bedspread. "Are you... okay? You were supposed to be getting better!"

He shook his head, expelling the remaining moisture in his nose with a single blow. "Uhh..." he groaned, shaking his head again. "Both of us, Bartin add I, are buch worse." He sniffed, somehow infusing the sound with his anger. "I don't dow why. How was -" she watched his face change, strength and control bordering on surrender. Again. His eyes slammed shut with a clench, the last lock of his face undone. "HEH-ESHHH! HUHSHHOO!" His waltzing nostrils deepened in color, looking positively abused.

"Don't get up," Amalie said, responding to his attempts at sitting. "Stay there. Bless you," she added.

"I wanded to ask how your work was, but I dod't think I can say the whole thigg." The liquids in his nose snapped furiously as he sniffled again, rubbing his hand with a helpless finger. "Oh," he muttered, feeling the touch ignite his nostrils. "Bad ide - HISHHH!" A pause of agony, bubbling impatience, and he sneezed twice again into the blanket. "ESHHOO! HAH'SHUHH!"

"Bless you," Amalie repeated, her forehead creased with concern. "Kerr... where's Martin?"

He pointed a moist finger, breathing heavily with a stuck sneeze. "Udder the .. heh... blankets," his face changed momentarily, but quickly returned, "he's stayed there for - hih," he paused again, thinking it might strike, but it backed away,"a while. He - hih - was sneezing bore in the," no noise, just an unbearable grimace. Tired of seeing him in pain, Amalie reached up and gently brushed the bridge of his nose. She danced her fingers down, jumping quickly away as he cupped his hands over his mouth. "IKSHHHOO!" One sniff, and he seemed to feel better. Less congested. "Thank you," he murmured, the words scraping his throat raw.

"Anyway, he was sneezing much more in the morning, but I think he tired himself out. Now he's just lying there..." Kerr almost looked amused. "I think we switched places."

"Okay," Amalie said, sighing. "Do you mind if I...?" she gestured, wanting so badly to comfort her new friend.

Kerr shrugged. It would be a lie for him to say that he didn't mind Amalie's friendship, her extremely close friendship, with the Prince. But he could hardly deny the poor boy his solace, especially after all he'd been through. Resigned, he then shook his head. "Go ahead," he said, feeling another sneeze creep up. "I'll be here."

Amalie prance forward, peeling the back the covers of the second bed with a light touch. "...Martin?" His face resembled a cherry cobbler, red and steaming. She pressed a finger to his cheek and found it slick with fever. "Martin," she said sadly. His eyes were open, awake, but she knew he lacked the energy.

As easy as a baby, she pulled his limp form onto her lap. "Do you want a cool washcloth?" she asked, stroking his hair. "For your fever." When he didn't respond, she patted his arm. "Just move your pinky if you don't want one..." He shifted the finger, ever so slightly, and Amalie tightened her arms around him. "Okay," she said softly, "I'll stay here."

Slightly, almost imperceptibly, he nodded his head. Opening a quivering jaw, he whispered, "Good."

:hug: awesome update like always :P

i was like :omg: when i saw this cute update

really hope to read even more of this :lmfao:

Ohh I love this. :P I love PLOT and helpless sneezing boys!! Mmmm yes.

I still want to know more about the world: the Hunters, how many Vision Children there are, how many of them grew into Vision Adults? Or does it stop when they are a certain age? Was there some historical event that caused them to become so feared?

Great work!!

Ooooh, man, I am so caught up in this...the plot and the sneezing and cute boys have all drawn me in and are holding me captive! Seriously amazing work. Gah...need more...:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just found this. I can't waaaaait for the next part!

I love the air of mystery you put with your writing that makes you want to keep on reading...the sneezing is just a bonus. You just have a great style of writing!

I am so sorry for the long wait, guys! I've been so busy with school, and all left such nice comments last chapter that I felt terrible for making you wait :lol:. Buuut, as of the Bio SAT today, I AM ON SUMMER BREAK! So until camp, I'm actually going to be able to update! Yay! I can't promise it'll be every day, since I need to do fanfiction and sneezeless original stuff too, but it'll be as frequent as possible :laugh:.

Thank you SO SO much for the comments, guys <3! :D You're all amazing people and you make me really want to update this story. :)

Part 10

---------

Three more weeks passed. Though stressful and mostly sleepless, Amalie found herself a comfortable niche in their new life. She went to work, she tended to patients, she returned to their little 'home' and tended to her companions. It changed every day, whether Martin's or Kerr's state scared her more. They both seemed to worsen by the day, and she could not understand it. The amount of rest should have improved them, at least a little bit; they did nothing but eat and sleep, yet they'd gotten worse, if anything.

Cadogan was another snag all together. They hadn't spoken since that day, though they did lock eyes on occasion. Amalie could tell, just by staring at him, that he wanted to talk to her. But he was afraid, and there were few moments to catch her alone. Cornelia rarely left Amalie's side.

"I don't understand it," Amalie fumed, lost in a momentary whirl of frustration. "Unless you've been infected with something truly dreadful - and then I would have gotten it - you should be better by now." Her insides bubbled anxiously, and unbidden thoughts entered her mind. No, she could not lose anyone else. She would not. "You need a fresh handkerchief, Kerr," she sighed, taking the soiled one from his hands and providing a new one. She sighed. The endless sneezing and coughing rarely abated, and even then it was only in shifts. Though of course that didn't scare her nearly as much as the fevers - the fevers kept her tossing and turning at night, wondering for a solution to this problem.

"We couldn't have caught something dreadful," Kerr muttered, his voice thick and groggy with fluids. "He got sick with those Hunters," his voice dropped, so as not to upset Martin. The Prince's emotions were fragile ever since their arrival, and the slightest provocation could send him into a delirious fit of nonsense. "And I got sick on our walk over. It's impossible."

"Well... then what if you keep passing the germs back and forth?" she asked, almost hopefully. "Maybe you need a change of scenery." She liked her job well enough, especially now that their patients had dwindled to the less seriously wounded, but the town had begun to give her goosebumps. It looked so dead out there.... blackened trees and doorsteps. Corpses that handless relatives hadn't been able to burry. Besides, she could not bring herself to trust Cornelia.

"No," Martin whispered, his voice rougher than even Kerr's. "We... can't." Amalie immediately rushed to his side, hands poised for whatever he might need.

"Martin, sorry, I didn't know you were awake." She felt her cheeks redden, and she ducked his head. Despite his illness, well... he'd looked a lot better in these past weeks. She'd grown to be fond of him, in that sort of way. Sometimes. Other times he was just Martin, the ailing Prince who needed her more than anything.

"S'okay," he murmured, words slurring with exhaustion.

"Can't you sleep?" she dropped beside him on the bed, easily pulling him against her. Despite the adequate diet they received here, he never weighed more than one of those pillows.

He opened his mouth to answer, but his tongue quickly swiveled to the side with other needs. His neck turned, stifling pristinely into this elbow. "Gxxnshee!" He relaxed with a sniff, but she noticed that his shoulders remained in a keyed up position, as if waiting for more.

"Bless you," she sighed, stroking his hair. She'd quit reprimanding him for his stifles, because she discovered he felt far less embarrassed when he didn't sneeze outright. ... Half the time he didn't have the energy to reign himself in, anyway, so a stifle meant he was feeling alright. "Kerr," she said, now that Martin was cradled warmly in her arms, "How are you feeling? Sorry, I forgot to ask."

He smirked a bit, forever proud of his little sister. Of the lady she'd developed into, these past few months. Once he was better, completely better, he intended to tell her just how much he owed her. How he would grab her the sun and the moon as soon as they were in reach. "I'm alright, Amalie. How were the soldiers?" He let his voice incline slightly with an invisible question, for she'd told them both about Cadogan.

"Nothing unusual," she murmured. She felt Martin tighten, jerking away from the cool skin of her collarbone, where he'd been resting. "NnnxxTT!" His hand slipped from his face, and his jaw hung in impatience. "Hehhh..." he snapped forward, "Kkshoo!" He hid in his hands a moment longer, not responding to Amalie's gentle 'bless you'. "Sorry," he murmured, at last, coiling back up. He sniffed miserably and gave her a sideways glance. "You shouldn't be so close to me, I could get you sick." He slunk away from her, back into the pillows where he hid his face.

"Martin..." she said, hurt and perplexed. He hadn't pulled away before, not since they arrived. She knew he was a private person, yes, and his discomfort at being seen weak was clear in the perpetual blush of his cheeks, but... he couldn't help it. She'd tried to explain that, tried to explain that she didn't mind and only wanted to help... And anyway, the stubborn, girly side of her heart took this is a form of rejection. Did he not want her comfort?

She slunk back to her brother's bed, where he looped an arm over her shoulder. "It's a good point, Amalie," he muttered, pausing ever so slightly with the last word. He opened the handkerchief and propped it in his hands, preparing, but continued to talk. "We can't have you getting sick." His voice dropped, and he added, "I couldn't handle it."

"I'm not going to get sick," she said, tossing in a roll of her eyes for good measure. She patted his arms as she heard him inhale, squeezing his skin softly as he reared to the side. "HAHHSHHH! Uh..." He shook his head wildly, clearing his head, and looked back at her. "He stops and I start," he muttered, laughing wryly. "It's like we're on some kind of schedule."

It poked something in Amalie's mind, but she couldn't remember it. "Do you need anything?" she asked, because she couldn't think of anything else to say.

"I'm okay," he muttered, smiling at her. "You take your bath, relax a bit. I'll be he..." He meant to say 'here', she was pretty sure, but he lifted a finger and swung against the duvet. "EKSHHHUH!"

"Bless you," she recited, a practice respondent. "Are you sure you don't need anything?"

"Go," he said, definitively. Then, with a derisive gesture that might have passed for a wink, "I'll get you if Martin asks for anything." Annoyed enough to leave her brother in his time of need, she stalked off with the fresh towel in tow.

Thankfully, Cornelia's hospital always ran hot water. She opened the towel, ready to hang it on the rang, where a pattering sound distracted her. A note fell to the floor.

Please meet me outside Cornelia's at midnight, or close to it. It's crucial that we speak.

-C

Heart shuddering, Amalie crushed the note in her fist. It was close to eight; she had four hours.

A/N: I know it's a bit of a filler, but next chapter's going to get exciting, I promise! I just needed to set some things up! :bleh: Tell me if you would be opposed to Amalie sneezing or not. She's not going to get sick, I don't think, but they're going to be out in the cold, so... I'll only write it if you want, though. I'm kind of indifferent to female sneezes, so it's up to you guys. Thank you so, so much for reading!

Aw, some of my friends took the SAT today too! Haha.

And. Dude. YOU ARE SO, SO GOOD AT WRITING! I can hardly believe it. Seriously! I'm really loving this, and so excited to see what happens with Cadogan and everyone. Also, Martin is delicious.

MORE PLEASE?

I'm curious about Cornelia--what is the prejudice against vision children? And why aren't Martin and Kerr getting better? I worry that maybe Cornelia or others there who hate vision children are doing something to keep them sick. I'm glad Amalie isn't sick, Kerr would feel so terrible. And I'm curious about Cadogan. Filler or not, this was wonderful.

Congrats on finishing the Bio SATs. I remember not particularly enjoying them :-)

Ooooh, even your filler is exciting :D This is really good, as always, and I can't wait for the next part! I'm also kind of indifferent to whether Amalie sneezes or not; up to you :)

Excellent writing anyhow :D

Loving the update, I love it!!!

Haha that makes no sense, but still...

I'd prefer it if Amalie didn't sneeze, and I'm glad she's not sick, but it wouldn't be altogther terrible if it was just a few sneezes.

Thanks for the update!

Congrats on finishing the exams, and lucky you! I've still got more to come... :P

Haha, but more! Please???!!!!!! :lol:

This story frustrates you in the need to read more...as in, it's sooooo good! I don't think you should make Amamlie sick, but it's all your choice.

You are all AMAZING and so, so nice and your comments seriously make me want to write more :D. So here is more! It's a really, really long section, because I needed a lot to happen. I divided it into two little mini parts, here :).

Part 11

Section I

-----------------

"Don't go."

Amalie took a moment, stared down her brother's patchy complexion and bloodshot eyes. She stood on the other side of the room, but she could guess that touching his forehead would practically burn her head. "I have to, Kerr. If we ever want to get out of here, get you better..." It was impossible to explain, but she felt that seeing Cadogan was the right thing to do. Kerr had other opinions, however.

"Amalie..." He struggled to get up, but Amalie pushed him back onto the bed. "Please," he murmured, sounding so weak she almost relented. But he wasn't in the best frame of mind, she reminded herself. His logic was clouded by his illness, and probably an unreasonable concern for her safety. ...Or she hoped it was unreasonable, anyhow.

"Cornelia brings those towels up, Amalie." His interest in the woman had diminished over the past view weeks, and he know suspected her as deeply as his sister did. "She could have written that, as a trap. She could want to see how much you know or hurt you..." He shook his head, an expression of pronounced pain on his face. "I don't want you going, Amalie." His voice slipped, hoarse, and she settled next to him.

"I have to, Kerr," she repeated, forcing herself to meet his eyes. "If I don't -" She stopped, recognizing the the familiar curtain as it shadowed her brother's face. Her hand squeezed his, almost inadvertently, even though she knew the sneezes were nearly painless.

"Hehh," he panted, arm perched gracelessly beneath his nose. His face screwed up in one motion, nose buckling in his creased forehead. "ESHHH! KSHHH!" She squeezed his hand again, offering comfort in the tantalizing second of wait. Kerr's eyes stayed tangled beneath his lids, tears of agitation puddling beneath them. "Hihhh -" he lurched forward, violently spasming with the rest. "H'SHOOO!"

"Bless you," Amalie whispered. The siblings locked gazes again, Kerr's finger rubbing absent-mindedly at his nose. "Kerr, this is why I have to go," she pleaded, gesturing at him. 'It can't be a coincidence... you know that. You've gotten worse since we started staying here, and so has Martin." As she waited for her words to sink in, she handed him the latest handkerchief, which he immediately hid his nose in. "I don't care if it's a trap. We promised Martin we'd get him to the palace, remember?" On cue, two pairs of eyes shifted to the Prince's sleeping form. "I have to keep my promise, okay? Someone around here should get to have parents." It was the first they'd talked about it in a long time. Memories of their parents had entered Kerr's mind, of course - mostly while he sat in their room all day - but he never let them sink to grief. If he had, the weight of their situation might become unbearable.

With a sigh that said too much, Amalie rested her head against her brother's shoulder. Grateful for her warmth, and for the fact she could still use him for comfort, he slid his arm around her. "I'm worried about him," he said, at last. He hadn't wanted to trouble her further, but she would be angry if he kept it from. "I'm bad at nights," he muttered, coughing back mucus. "... As you can see. But during the day... I don't know Amalie, it's almost like the universe knows him too well." Kerr nudged the bed post with his foot, wanting a distraction. "He can barely survive it when you're not here. Sometimes I think he's going to die form one of those fits of his... every couple of hours, he'll tell me he can't breathe."

Amalie held her breath. Then, surprising them both, she stood. "I'll tell Cornelia that I'm staying here tomorrow," she announced. With a quick glance to the clock on the wall - a wooden, too-noisy masterpiece of serpents and faded numbers - she flung her arms around her brother. "I'll be home soon," she breathed.

"Please," Kerr replied, not wanting to dwell on the sadness of this place as their 'home.' "Please Amalie, I can't live without you." The moment he said it, he knew the words were true. Though he truly had feared for her safety, from the moment she announced the note, the realization of the predicament sunk in then. What if Cornelia really did kill Amalie? How could he... how could he possibly survive that?

When he watched his sister give a goodbye to the sleeping Martin - a quick kiss on his sweaty forehead - a grim perseverance settled over him. If anything were to happen to her, should she be unable to fulfill her promise, he would do it for her. He would return Martin to the Palace, because that's the way Amalie wanted things to end up. In that moment, a silent camaraderie settled between himself and the delirious boy across from him. If his sister cared so much for the boy, then so would he.

"Amalie," he whispered, ignoring the way his throat had closed. "You've grown."

She stopped just before the window, glanced into the reflective glass. Dark hair cropped around her shoulders, clean and simple. A narrow expression she had not worn a year ago, one with equal parts kindness and independence. "Thank you, Kerr," she replied. He tried not to focus on the way she was not nearly as emotional as he was. "See you in a bit," she added, maybe for his benefit.

Section II

-----------

In a single motion, she opened the latch to the window and shimmied to the opposite side of it. Sliding down the roof would be easy as anything; they practiced it in school, during the Hunter drills. Everyone knew that Hunters were a danger to everyone - not just the Vision Children.

She dropped off the window of the first floor, wiping a pair bloody hands against her pants. Sliding off roofs was easy, yes, but by no means painless. Cornelia might ask about the scrapes in the morning.

"Come here, please." The voice nearly startled her out of her skin, it was so quiet and controlled. The sudden gunfire in an otherwise-silent night.

"Where are you?" she hissed, spinning around. "I can't see you."

"The wall."

She spun more slowly this time, finally locating a pile of stones beside the doorway. Her feet wobbled as she approached it, wishing to disobey her brain's orders. Maybe Kerr had been right, and this wasn't a good idea. She knew the boy was a fellow Vision Child, yes, but what did that prove? Many Vision Children had been as horrible as the Hunters said, hadn't they? They'd used their premonitions to seek power, wealth... who's to say this boy wasn't using her?

Before they could get the best of her, she swallowed her doubts. This boy had lost a sister. He lived in a fairly incapable situation, and had to deal with Cornelia as often - if not more often - than she did. Besides, in addition to her prophecies - which neither she nor her brother had received since the deaths of their parents - Amalie often found she possessed a remarkable judge of character. She trusted this boy automatically, somehow.

"This won't hide us very well," Amalie criticized immediately, surprising herself. "We could be seen."

"We won't be," he replied. "The night hides us well enough." Since they were both standing, Amalie got a better look at Cadogan than she had before. His skin was slick as ice, as if carved. There was no denying his good looks, though she found she preferred Martin's soft symmetry to this boy's jarring appearance. One look into his sharp blue eyes, the heat behind them, and she felt she understood him. He was a vexing mix of anger and control, both sides daunted by the incredible burden of the visions. She knew those types too well; her brother was one of them.

"Why did you call me here?" Amalie asked. She'd told him too much before, she realized, and the instinctive outpour of words startled her a second time. "Do you know something about Cornelia? Is she after us?"

Cadogan's eyes widened, shadowed by a quick notion of surprise, and then the guard fell over them again. "You're right down to business, aren't you?" He made a noise, somewhere between a cough and a laugh. So quiet she almost missed it. "I - I've had the same suspicions," he conceded, "but... something keeps telling me no. I know her very well, because she was close with my - my sister." He stopped to take a breath, and Amalie immediately felt for him. She couldn't help it; when those around her felt pain, she only wanted to take it away. Remembering the shortcomings of the pains' victims was difficult to do. "I saw her, even after she found out. She was still devastated by - by it," he turned away a second, and then snapped back to her, "even if she didn't say so."

She wouldn't press him, or say that Cornelia was probably a pretty good actress. There was one point she had to stress though, for herself. "But... my brother, my friend, they've gotten sicker since we started staying with her. ... How is that possible? The - the Hunters?" she dropped her voice, eyes going immediately to the sky. The swirls of black and purple up there, they disclosed what they wanted when they wanted. For all the beauty of the stars, Amalie hated the sky and its secrets.

"They won't find us here, Amalie. You can relax." He surprised her then, by resting a cool hand on her shoulder. He'd struck her as the distant, aloof type. "Anyway, Amalie, how much do you know about the Hunters?" He fixed her with an arched eyebrow, and suddenly her heart sped up. His hand felt like a restraint, now.

"Not - not much," she managed, stumbling over the words. "They're men and women who hate us, who hate everyone. They kill us and burn down everyone who's dared speak to us." By the time she finished speaking, she had to blink back tears. Images of her broken town swam by, followed by phantom pictures of other villages. The many, many other families which fell as hard as her own.

"The Hunters are brutes," Cadogan corrected gently. "They're employed by a wealthier, more talented source. They're the ones you need to cut off, not the Hunters." He looked at her again, kind but compulsive. "Do you think they'll be able to find you, without the planes bought for them?"

A world where you couldn't be hunted by helicopters and vans, feet and tracking dogs. Yes. That's what she wanted. She nodded, even though that wasn't the answer to the question; Cadogan understood her, anyway.

"My - my friend," she mumbled, "... I think I told you... he was kidnapped by them. I can - can ask," she sighed. She didn't look forward to that, hurting Martin that way. His nightmares were hard enough to carry, she knew; how could she make him relive them during the day?

"The Prince." Cadogan drew away, sighing. "He could get us into to the palace, no?"

"I - I think so," she replied slowly. 'He said he would,' she wanted to say, but she didn't.

He nodded. "The vision I had, the one you saw. I think we need to prevent that."

"But... " When she discussed it with Kerr, they decided it sounded like Cornelia. They wanted justice, didn't they? She wanted to stop them, right? It matched completely. "If you don't know who's in charge of the Hunters..." In the back of her mind, she clung to the idea that it was Cornelia. After all, the woman's eerie edges were easy enough to despise, not to mention her flirting with Kerr.

"It doesn't matter," he snapped, cheeks reddening. "We need to get into that palace, get the King's protection. Can your friend do that, or not?"

Once upon a time, she might have cowered to that. This time, though, Amalie held her ground. "We'll see," she replied, right away. "It's not like we're just going to bring you along, you know. What can you give us?"

He answered just as quickly, no hesitation. "I can show you the way," he supplied. "I have maps, and horses we can ride. I also," he added, "have medicine I can steal. It won't be enough to heal both of them completely, probably, but enough to get on our way. Also, whoever put the enchantment on your room doesn't matter. Once you leave it, they should both improve on her own."

She wanted to believe the last part so badly, though an enchantment sounded unlikely. Scarce few people knew how to perform enchantments these days. They were banned long ago, far before Vision Children were marked for death; rumor said that only the king's scholars knew how to perform them. ... Cornelia did seem awfully witchy, she said to herself, for comfort. And anything was possible. "If you bring me the medicine tomorrow," she said firmly. "We have a deal. We'll leave as soon as they're better."

He gave a swift nod, and stuck out his hand. "Agreed."

She took it, unable to shake the feeling that his frozen skin signified some malfunction of his heart.

----

Sorry for the incredible lack of sneezes here. I swear to you, the next few chapters will have many more, both with the 'medicine' and with Martin's recounting of his experiencing. Also, I am very happy, because I have finally figured out EXACTLY how I am going to end it, so that's nice. Though it's probably going to be LONG, because there's going to be a whole big part at the Palace, where we get to know Martin's family :). Yay! Haha, sorry, I know, I get WAY too into my writing.

Anyway, hope you guys liked it :). Thanks so much for reading!!

Archived