Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Greatest Word You've Ever Heard

a red nine

Gah, how I could I forget possibly the greatest word in the entire English language ever:

Gadzooks!- An exclaimation of surprise or annoyance.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The greates word you've ever heard and this is how is goes, Oh!

Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!

LOL

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

:)

hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia the fear of long words!

chimerical meaning unbelievable, unlikely, or extraordinary.

raffish meaning flashy, vulgar, and/or crude

Masticate, Mastication, Masticating...>_>

Def- To chew food, or to grind in one's mouth.

Yeah, but I bet that's not what people think when they first hear the word. :(

Y'all named a bunch of words I like. Schadenfreude and Weltanschauung among them. (Thanks Trilium!)

A friend reminded me on Facebook about a made-up word that I've known since I was a kid -- Chrono-Synclastic Infundibulum It's from Kurt Vonnegut.

How could I have forgotten "infundifuliform"; funnel-shaped. It's almost possible to get it into ordinary conversation.

"They're sometimes called rain funnels because of their infundibuliformity,"

I'm kind of partial to "crapulous" myself. Just because it sounds craptastic.

ETA: If I were a Roman emperor, I'd be Crapulus Augustus.

This is a fairly common word, but I never would have thought to use it in this context;

I was reading a magazine article about the psychedelic music of the late 60's and the writer observed that "the artsy flatulence of mid 70's arena rock would have been out of place here."

:drool:

I've always been fascinated by the word "flabbergasted". It sounds funny and for some reason, it always makes me think of some little alien-looking animal ^^

This (at 4:10) is what I always mentally picture when I think of "flabbergasted". B)

I've always liked the word "pontificate". Most of the people who use it are by definition guilty of the action themselves! ;) For those of you who've ever listened to former Canadiens star goalie/lawyer/now politician Ken Dryden say anything, you'll have the perfect real life embodiment.

:heart:

My mental image connected with "flabbergasted" just changed dramatically xD

I also quite like the word "kafkaesque". I mean.. an entire word coined to fit your writings? How cool is that? ^^

(Yes, I know that there are other words like sadistic and masochistic which are coined after writers but kafkaesque is somehow special to me :lol:)

This (at 4:10) is what I always mentally picture when I think of "flabbergasted". :D

I've always liked the word "pontificate". Most of the people who use it are by definition guilty of the action themselves! :laugh2: For those of you who've ever listened to former Canadiens star goalie/lawyer/now politician Ken Dryden say anything, you'll have the perfect real life embodiment.

How about "Bloviate" :laugh: ?

The biggest word I've ever heard, and this is how it goes! Oh! Supercalifredjalisticixbealidocious, even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious..

Sorry if I spelled you-know-what wrong.

• 1 year later...
The greates word you've ever heard and this is how is goes, Oh!

Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!

LOL

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!

:yes:

dang I was going to do that!

I love the word 'languid'...it sounds exactly like what it means. Laaaanguiiiid. The only word better than that is the adverb version: languidly. :yes: He languidly lounged in his large leather loafers...

"Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljnin

gssystemdiskussonsinläggsförberedelsearbeten."

The longest word in Swedish. I'm not kidding. Though we could probably figure out a way to make it even longer, if we really wanted to.

"Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljnin

Do we get to know what it means? :yes:

Bampot ;)

(A Scots word for an idiot)

For the other two, I'll go with "fastidious" and "pernickety". Both of those words make me think of a particularly anal rodent for some reason.

The longest word in Swedish. I'm not kidding. Though we could probably figure out a way to make it even longer, if we really wanted to.

Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljnin

gssystemdiskussonsinläggsförberedelsearbetesansvarige. *nods* :D

I've always like the word "Atrocious".

Two others, lets see, so many lovely words to choose from.

Pumpernickel

Obfuscate - To render unclear, obscure, or unintelligible

Tub-thumping - arguing or promoting vigorously... Come on. How stupid, yet fabulous!

:clapping: I used to listen to Johnny Morris' Bedtime Stories or something when I was about 3, and I remember the gorilla was called Tub-Thump?!! Ahh, memories!

Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterialunderhållsuppföljnin

gssystemdiskussonsinläggsförberedelsearbetesansvarige. *nods* :clapping:

<3

Slorrak. This is a word my mother invented, and it means 'very sloppy and slapdash person'. It cracks me up every time. XD

Oh, and slapdash, too. And swashbuckler. And bamboozle. And... I could go on for a while. :winkkiss:

Usless but great words? Hmm...

Okay, someone might just come and tell me taht this is no (finnish) word, but I have to say that one of my fave words must be fäp. It is a word someone came up while playing one game... It means a man who pleases himself in a bush... Also, with the same meaning, puskarunkkari (acctually recognized as a word). Could a woman as well, but, you know, usually it's men who lurk in the bushes...

Sulkahattu (a hat with a feather on it). I count the other words I listed at least somewhat funny soiiunding but this one I like because it's... I dunno, pretty?

All Finnish this time... I have a feeling that I'm forgetting some nice words that should be hear instead of those... u___u

Archived