Sneeze Fetish Forum

Awesome movies!

Lynne

Okay, so to sort of balance out the Overrated movies thread, (and because I just watched Chocolat, which is in-freaking-credible!), I want to know what movies you guys think are fantastic. Is it the score? The plot? A particular actor who made the movie for you? A director? What do you like?

I'll start with Chocolat... Juliette Binoche was fantastic, Judy Dench was AMAZING, Carrie Ann Moss was really good, and Johnny Depp... well, do I really need to say anything about Johnny Depp?

I loved Rachel Portman's score. She's fast becoming my favorite movie score composer. (Legend of Bagger Vance... that's all I'm gonna say)

I love the story, I love the setting, and I love the balance of heartwarming and heartbreaking... I cried in at least three places during this movie, and I'd watch it and bawl again :) I especially love how they had most of the setting drab and colorless at the beginning with only Juliette Binoche wearing bright colors and by the end, there's color everywhere :)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In commemoration of the fact that it's not yet on the list of overrated movies, I'm going to throw Tron Legacy out there.

I was looking forward to it like a madman ever since I saw the first trailer, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. I loved it so much the first time that I was more than willing to fork over the extra dough to see it again in IMAX 3D not once but twice more. Granted the plot isn't spectacular, but it certainly isn't bad. It's more than enough to hold it together, but let's be honest, plot is not what we watch such movies for.

Between Daft Punk's amazing soundtrack and the absolute best special effects I have ever seen, I may have to declare it my favorite movie. Even though it just came out a little over a month ago. Who says classics have to be old?

In commemoration of the fact that it's not yet on the list of overrated movies, I'm going to throw Tron Legacy out there.

I was looking forward to it like a madman ever since I saw the first trailer, and I definitely wasn't disappointed. I loved it so much the first time that I was more than willing to fork over the extra dough to see it again in IMAX 3D not once but twice more. Granted the plot isn't spectacular, but it certainly isn't bad. It's more than enough to hold it together, but let's be honest, plot is not what we watch such movies for.

Between Daft Punk's amazing soundtrack and the absolute best special effects I have ever seen, I may have to declare it my favorite movie. Even though it just came out a little over a month ago. Who says classics have to be old?

I really hope you've seen the first one too!

Of course I have! I'm not one of those little n00blets who's gonna be running around saying "do a sequel." I will say "do a trilogy."

End of Line.

Of course I have! I'm not one of those little n00blets who's gonna be running around saying "do a sequel." I will say "do a trilogy."

End of Line.

Good boooy... <3

I'm not good at explaining WHY I like things, I just like what I like...so mine is just a list. A short list because, well, I don't watch a lot of movies. Something has to sound really interesting to get my attention, and it has to be VERY interesting to hold it. :)

* The Graduate (one of my favourite movies of all time, and to think the first time I watched it was because I wanted to see the movie responsible for all those amazing songs...)

* The Lion King (hey, nobody said animated movies don't count, and The Lion King is timeless)

*Jurassic Park (another "favourite of all time" movie...saw it in the cinema about a million times when it originally came out)

*The Cat Returns

* Metropolis (the animated movie, not the black and white movie of the same title)

*Repo! A Genetic Opera

When it comes to live action movies, generally I need to be able to connect with the characters in some way, or find the characters interesting. Animated movies, I'm very into the art style and how everything moves. Repo! A Genetic Opera is an exception to my rules because it wasn't the characters that drew me in, the story was okay, I think it was the feel and the look of the whole thing that I loved. I tend to favour animated movies because art and movement really captivate me.

Three to Tango is one of my all time favorites. It was the first movie I saw with my first boyfriend, but every time I see it I like it a little more, so I don't think it's all sentimental. I love the humor and quality of the actors. It also gives me a bit of a girl crush on Neve Campbell.

Super Troopers is a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Everything is Illuminated is a recent favorite because the characters are interesting, and again, I apparently really go for humor in my movies.

I LOOOOOVE "Princess Bride"

"The Other Boylen" was really good.

I agree about "Chocolat", although I think that I enjoyed "Babet's Feast" even more.

Let's see... "Shadowlands"- LOVE!!!

"Much Ado About Nothing"

"Mr. Holland's Opus" Gah... I'm a sucker for the whole love of music and love of teaching thing.

I'm not a movie buff at all.. but I loved..

"Stand By Me" - it's just perfect really, and of course the quote "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

"Stardust" - it's so sweet, wish I could be in that world :)

"Girl, Interrupted" - I felt it was me there

"Labyrinth" - brilliant story, wish I could be in that world :D

"The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" - I nursed a man with Locked-in Syndrome, and I read the book while I was looking after him. It helped a lot and made me laugh and cry. I didn't watch the film until after he had died, and so many things reminded me of times with him.

"The Goonies" - is an explanation needed?? :D

"The King's Speech." Colin Firth and Beethoven's 7th -- what more can you ask for?

Can't think of any others right now - maybe after the wine has worn off . . . .

"The King's Speech." Colin Firth and Beethoven's 7th -- what more can you ask for?

Speaking of Colin Firth, the BBC's 1995 (i think) production of Pride and Prejudice.

Speaking of Colin Firth, the BBC's 1995 (i think) production of Pride and Prejudice.

Ha. Miniseries. Doesn't count :)

(JOKING)

If I can just throw out a random one, I love the movie 'Casshern'. Saw it a few years ago on DVD and it just blew me away, although I can see it won't be to everyones taste...

Amazing score, inventive effects, some really, really emotional scenes!

Does anyone else like this film?

Ha. Miniseries. Doesn't count :laugh:

(JOKING)

Well... Normal miniseries wouldn't count, but I think that we need to make an exception for that FINE specimen of wet shirted Mr. Darcy ;):laugh::zippy:

:unsure:

And I SOOO want to see the King's Speech. Beethoven's 7th is in background Too. *Uses all of mental powers to try to bring it to our bargin theater ASAP!!*

Some of my favorite movies are:

*Alien, Aliens, and Alien 3

*Predator, Predator 2, Predators

*Hellraiser 1 and 2

*The original Star Wars movies

*Lord of the Rings trilogy

*Bladerunner

*Fight Club

*The Christopher Nolan Batman movies

*Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead

*Clockwork Orange

*Ichi the Killer

*Old Boy

*Event Horizon

*Pans Labyrinth

Amadeus - I could watch it a milion times! :nohappy:

What's Eating Gilber Grape - Love that one too... t has Leonardo Di Caprio and Johnny Depp in it..:P

Stand By Me

Requiem For A Dream

American History X

Fight Club

And tonight I'm gonna see The King's Speech..will it go on my favourite movies list? hmmm

Mrs Doubtfire - I don't know what it is about this movie. I love it. I always have. It's one of those 'have to watch it whenever it's on TV' movies.

Bon Cop/Bad Cop - if you can get your hands on this one, then I strongly recommend it. It is Canadian, though ... so I don't know how widespread it is.

Dirty Dancing - I didn't watch this until 15 years after it came out. I don't know what I was thinking. It's such a classic.

Sound of Music - Need I say more?

Little Miss Sunshine: Because I've lived it, and I love the way the dysfunctional family pulls together

Whip It: Because I'm a closet roller derby fan, and I've been in love with Drew Barrymore forever!

My favorites:

-Robin Hood Men in Tights (and all other Mel Brooks movies)

-Princess Bride

-Rent

-Clue

-Sweeney Todd (the original musical was better, but I *do* like the movie)

-Stand by Me

-Now and Then

-Fame (the original, of course)

-500 Days of Summer

-Overboard

-Adventures in Babysitting

-Spirited Away

-Charlie Bartlett

-Ferris Bueller's Day Off

-You Can't Take it With You

-Bringing up Baby

There are lots of others, but I feel like this list is already too long.

Little Miss Sunshine: Because I've lived it, and I love the way the dysfunctional family pulls together
I love this movie too! Especially as the theme of loserdom is so close to my heart.

I'm a cinemaphile. Some I like very much...

I Stand Alone (Gaspar Noe)

The Human Condition (Kobayashi Masaki)

Happy Together (Wong Kar Wai)

Underground (Emir Kusturica)

Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa)

Taxi Driver (Scorsese)

Solaris (Tarkovski)

La Grande Bouffe (Marco Ferreri)

War Zone (Tim Roth)

Those are the first few that come into my mind.

I enjoy most the sort of movies that strike me as honest and in a way or another extreme; movies that explore areas where clear answers don't exist, movies that leave me thinking further and wider than I did before. Movies that amaze me. Movies that take me somewhere new.

From the top of my head:

• Babel
  • The Soloist
  • The curious case of Benjamin Button
  • Coraline
  • Pan's Labyrinth
  • El Orfanato
  • The king and the clown
  • A single man
  • Brokeback Mountain
  • Treasure Planet

And I guess I have to mention Jackson's The Return of the King as well, even if I've seen it far too many times by now to not laugh my ass off at every other line. It may make me laugh and roll my eyes now, but when I first saw it? The first five times I saw it? Ohoho dear... It "ends" something like five times, and I cried my eyes out at every single one of them. :bday:

Sooo many - but I will mention just one because Wishing and I saw it recently. Avatar.

Ok, so everyone goes on about the amazing special effects, and yes they are great. But we loved it for more than that, it was just something about the story and the journey that the main character Jake goes through. We made kinda an emotional connection with that movie that I'm not sure everyone gets (certainly not my brother thats for sure, lol). Wishing has bought the DVD now and I'm sure we will watch it again sometime soon - hmm, maybe tonight :bday:

Archived