Sneeze Fetish Forum

Forum Upgrade Problems, Queries And Requests

Vetinari

I miss the chat room as well. I hope it comes back soon, but I'm certainly willing to wait until the security issues are worked out.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately the security issue I highlighted in my announcement a few weeks ago remains and my repeated requests to the Chat Room software developer for assistance in solving the problem have gone unanswered. I have also attempted to fix the problem myself with haeeshoo's very kind assistance but this failed.

Until I get some kind of answer from them I'm afraid I don't know of much more that can be done. Unless we have an SQL expert amongst up who is yet to make themselves known! :lol:

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of when blogs will be back? :) Or if it can't be done at all?

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea of when blogs will be back? smile.png Or if it can't be done at all?

We were able to get them back over on the other forum with all old entries intact and everything, so it should be possible to get them back here as well. I'm afraid I can't offer any clues on how to actually get them back though, I wasn't involved in getting them up again, I just know it should be possible.

I will leave it up to HoL whether he feels this needs to be explained more thoroughly, but I think it may be a temporary bandwidth issue because the new format eats more bandwidth than the old. HoL, I believe is negotiating with Invision but I understand that the blogs are likely to be restored at some time in the not-too-distant future. I miss them too.

Vetinari is basically right. Without going into too much detail, the forum's package with our hosts is currently limited by the amount of bandwidth the forum is allowed to use in a month. When we exceed the limit (which we have a couple of times, as older members may recall), the forum gets taken offline for the rest of that month.

Currently our limit is 75,000MB/month and before the upgrade the forum was using about 1600 to 1700MB/day including the use of the blogs, gallery and chat room.

Since the upgrade, presumably because the forum is much more 'whizzy' now (that's a technical term :P), this usage has increased to between 2200-2500MB/day and that's without the blogs, gallery, chat room, etc. And it doesn't take a maths genius to work out that if there are 30 days in a month (roughly) and we use 2500MB/day then we're currently pushing very close to our limit.

We will be changing package (since the forced upgrade, our hosts no longer limit packages by bandwidth so this will no longer be an issue) early next month as our current package expires then anyway so it will be easier than trying to change in the middle of the month. Once we've changes, it shouldn't take long before we're able to get at least the blogs and gallery back.

Live Chat is unfortunately a seperate issue as I've stated, however the hosts do offer their own chat package, which we may look at using if the current impasse we have right now continues.

I'm probably being very dim here- but I've just posted an obs and I can't work out how to tag it. :oops:

I assumed it would be clear, but I can't see an obvious button or find any instructions on how to do it. Can someone please advise me?

When you start a new topic, or edit the first post in a topic, you should see a box entitled 'topic tags' below the Topic sub-title, but above the box where you write your post. Click on the small text in that box that says 'add tags' and a list will appear. Simply click on all the names of the tags you want to use.

Also, in the topic list it will only show the first 2 or 3 tags you select (though you can select up to 10 and they will all display at the top of the topic when you open it, so it's generally a good idea to post the most important tags first (gender, cause of sneezing).

Hope that helps! :)

Thanks HoL! Looks like I'm too late to edit the obs I posted the other day- but I'll make sure to tag future ones. smile.png

Edit: Okay, after experimenting in the testing area I figured out what happened. If you're editing the first post in a topic, you have to use the full editor to add or remove tags. I didn't do this when I tried to edit my obs, so that's why I didn't see any tag options.

• 2 weeks later...

Any news on the blogs? Sorry, I don't have time to read all the posts in this thread, and I haven't been on for a while, so I don't know the latest news -- please excuse me if I'm missing something really obvious. Cheers.

We will be changing package (since the forced upgrade, our hosts no longer limit packages by bandwidth so this will no longer be an issue) early next month as our current package expires then anyway so it will be easier than trying to change in the middle of the month. Once we've changes, it shouldn't take long before we're able to get at least the blogs and gallery back.
So, hopefully, they will be back some time this month I think. :)
So, hopefully, they will be back some time this month I think. smile.png

WOOHOO! :cheers: HOL, you're my hero!

I'm suddenly seeing red numbers by each forum telling me how many posts there are in that forum that I haven't read and was wondering if there is a way to turn this feature off? I don't read every post that gets made and it's kind of annoying, not important, but annoying.

I was testing this feature, but since it seems like it can't count, I've turned it off for now.

I was testing this feature, but since it seems like it can't count, I've turned it off for now.

:laugh: Well that's no help at all if it can't even count accurately! And here I thought computer software was supposed to be better at math than people.

Today I'm noticing that there are a lot more buttons across the top of the page. The Gallery button works, but when I try to click on Blogs or Chat, it says I do not have permission. Everything else seems to function as intended.

I'm guessing this is because these features are still being tested, but I figured I'd post about them anyway just in case.

As HoL mentioned above, the package we have been using is being upgraded. I presume the process has now begun, but that some of the functions are not yet up-and-running. I can see the buttons as well, Blah, but they don't work for me either. I'm sure that HoL will get onto it as soon as possible.

Yay! Chat is on! But, odd thing, you can read things that happened before you entered the room. Is there a way to change that? I guess you should think of chat as public, but if you know all the people in the room you might be a little freer than if you know there's someone you don't know as well...but I'm not sure I like that someone could enter unexpectedly and then look back.

Ouro: Thank you :blushing:

Polychrome: I thought (probably by mistake :blushing: ) that the old chatroom had a feature like this. If not I will certainly have a look and see if it can be deactivated as I think it is a reasonable point that chat room conversations should be considered to be between those present in the room at the time.

Ouro: Thank you blushing.gif

Polychrome: I thought (probably by mistake blushing.gif ) that the old chatroom had a feature like this. If not I will certainly have a look and see if it can be deactivated as I think it is a reasonable point that chat room conversations should be considered to be between those present in the room at the time.

Thank you! I am very grateful that it's back and will adjust if you can't. I think before you could see what was said while you were loading (and the room got notification of you coming before you were fully "there"). Good luck with all of these changes. You're getting closer and closer to the end of the list clap.gif

Archived