Sneeze Fetish Forum

Sad Music (or music that just makes you cry)

VoOs

Inspired by the book/movie/TV tearjerker topic -

What songs make you cry?

Or, if you're not the type who cries easily to music: what song or piece of music to you find exceptionally heart-wrenching or otherwise emotionally moving?

Youtube links are most welcome. *puppy eyes*

Some of mine are-

• (because my heart has dubbed this my LGBTQ pride song, apparently)
  • (my favourite song on my favourite anime soundtrack)
  • (I've cried more over this movie than probably any other movie in my life. How nerdy sad is that?)

...among loads of others. :blushing:

Your turn?

I actually have a whole playlist of sort of contemplative / melancholy music on my iTunes

Have you ever tried Spotify, VoOs? I prefer that to trying to find songs I like on You Tube.You might really like it.

In any case, a few of the more appropriate ones for this thread:

Several of your tracks were film music too, weren't they? I love good film music too. In fact, I spent a few summers in Los Angeles playing almost exclusively film music (kind of a precursor for musicians that wanted to get into the LA studio scene) with a 60 piece studio orchestra and it was some of the most beautiful music I'd ever heard. Let me know if you'd ever like to hear any of that stuff, as much of it can't really be found on the internet.

Have you ever tried Spotify, VoOs? I prefer that to trying to find songs I like on You Tube.You might really like it.

In any case, a few of the more appropriate ones for this thread:

I actually live in the country where Spotify was first invented. idiot.gif *patr(id)iotic boasting* And yes, I quite agree, it's great, but not available everywhere yet (last time I checked?) Not many anime soundtracks on there to speak of either, so, Youtube is still my no.1 friend when it comes to East Asian music.

That aside - thank you for posting that link to Any other Name! I love that song, but I didn't know the title until now.

I don't these are even to be found on YouTube, but three songs that get to me every damn time are 'Just So' by Agnes Obel, 'Homunculus' by Chris Smither and 'Sad Lisa' by Cat Stevens. OH god that last one. :cry:

It depends on which time of the month I hear the song. If good ol' PMS has power over me, you may see me crying while listening to "If you're happy".

But the one which always makes me cry is "Those were the days" by Mary Hopkin.

I don't usually cry at songs, but there are a couple I can mention.

by Elvis Costello is a song that sometimes makes me cry... but I could also describe it as a self-indulgent song that I listened to a lot when I was at university. I still like it, but it does remind me of times when I was a self-obsessed young student!

One that more often moves me to tears is

by Tom Waits. It's a ballad about the murder of a young girl (although I don't think it's based on a true story) and it's an unashamed tear-jerking Tom Waits song. I guess Tom Waits is an acquired taste, but to me this song seems so achingly sad- not just the 'plot' of the song, but it somehow reminds me of my childhood, and of getting older... that's the best way I can put it.
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't really usually cry because of music unless I'm drunk, but what gets me incredibly close every time is

Must thank haeeshoo for pointing me to this. Knowing where the lyrics come from has a lot of weight in the effect too:
A solo soprano sings a different Polish text in each of the three movements. The first is a 15th-century Polish lament of Mary, mother of Jesus, the second a message written on the wall of a Gestapo cell during World War II, and the third a Silesian folk song of a mother searching for her son killed in the Silesian uprisings.

Shit, just listening to this now makes my hands tremble. :blushing:

Bloody dead island theme tune. Every damned time, despite the fact that it's a theme from a game about a zombie epedemic.

Really interesting thread here!!

I know I'm a crazy fan of "Hetalia" and have an unwholesome obsession with China, but his character song... just, aahhhhh~ the lyrics and the instrumentation and the everything~

"Aiyaa Yonsennen" - Kaida Yuki (as China):

"Tarzan" is not my favorite Disney movie by any means, but...

"You'll Be In My Heart" - Phil Collins:

For a very long time, the J-Pop duo mihimaru GT was my favorite music artist. Their songs are mainly hip-hop, but they also have some very nice ballads. I couldn't find a video with lyrics, but this song is essentially about two lovers "diverging" from each other. Still one of my favorites from them; always gives me chills.

"diverge" - mihimaru GT:

Oh lord.

A couple of tracks from Sonic Adventure 2 make me cry.

The 2nd and 3rd parts make me sad.

Legitimately makes me cry. Listening to it even now makes my throat all tight.

Both of those are at the end of the game...

Oh, I just remembered about the sad Chao music.

Goodbye Chao

AM I THE ONLY ONE CRYING FROM THIS MUSIC GUYS

NO

NO YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE

BEST SONIC GAME EVER, LIKE FOR REALS

LETTING YOUR CHAO GO IS ALWAYS SAD

SO SAD I COULD NEVER BRING MYSELF TO DO IT

And then there's quite-possibly-my-favorite stage music:

PUMPKIN HILL

All the songs that make my cry are country. I don't remember ever crying over music from any other genre, but I could be mistaken. There are three that really hit me somehow or other, probably the only ones I cry repeatedly for. (Also, I don't know how to make those fancy links that just have the blue text you can click on and I'm too much of a bum to go look it up, so...here ya go.)

Don't Miss Your Life by Phil Vassar -

(This one just reminds me of people really close to me, and it hits me just as hard every single time I hear it. Once, I was driving my friend home, we were on the highway, and this came on. I hadn't cried in front of anyone for a few years, and I was surprised when tears just came rolling down my cheeks.)

Drive by Alan Jackson -

(It's not even a sad song. It's just memories associated with it for me. It's pretty upbeat and it didn't start making me cry, strangely enough, until well after I started driving.)

Alyssa Lies -

(First song I ever cried from. If you listen to it, and watch the video, it's just...yeah.)

I listen almost exclusively to what my friends say is all sad music. Anyone here has ever heard of Emilie Autumn? Here are a few of her songs.

(Shallot)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnPVwCCiyog (Gloomy Sunday)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_iptzMstA4 (Mad Girl acoustic)

And then there are these ones by other artists:

(It Doesn't Hurt - Katie Thompson)

(Hurt - Johnny Cash)

(9 Crimes - Damien Rice)

If I think of or find more I'll post them if that is okay?

One song definitely does it for me.... Trace Adkins - Till the Last Shot is Fired. First heard it when it was used to help promote the wounded warriors project and it stuck with me.

My friend and I literally have competitions to see who can make the other cry harder from music.

Terrible Things by Mayday Parade (Just... My characters... My Feels...)

Forever and Always by Parachute (Honestly. The first note I start crying.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yikzoM4tbfg

Hey There Delilah by The Plain White T's(Yeah... Don't ask.)

I Will Follow You Into The Dark- Death Cab For Cutie (That explains itself...)

Hm.... The entire soundtrack to the anime Clannad, but if you play any of the ones below, I will bawl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnf9QtyUsaQ The Place Where Wishes Come True

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dke4iSB80bs The Palm Of A Tiny Hand

The Largo movement of the Dvorak's 9th Symphony. Just... Honestly, I dissolve every time.

And Lullaby by Hofeldt.

Fun fact, I was listening to Forever and Always by writing this... my tears were interrupted by an unwelcome sneeze. Thanks, allergies.

how about the song "Gloomy Sunday" by Rezso Seress? aka 'the suicide song', since supposedly people whove listened to it have killed themselves afterwards...lol well i listened to it and im not dead :P its a really sad song though if you dare listen to it

Yes, I've heard the Emilie Autumn cover of it (linked above). It's beautifully sad.

Song I discovered recently that is lovely and sad as well:

Archived