Top Posters In This Topic

• Blah!?

• a red nine

• Sitruuna

• VividBubbles!

I did as I was told, and I have read ur thing ^_^

my vote goes to Tracy though...

Its always the quiet ones!!! :P

Hmm... Andy, I must say Andy. justmakesurehegetsthrownintoalakeorsomethingandhecathesanothercoldeventhoughhejustwassick lolwut

Charlie with a ponytail... Why the only thing that came to my mind was that she had found out someway or the other that that one teacher likes them and thus had pulled her hair into one... xD silly thoughts are silly

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys! Guess what!

They're back! It's most certainly not their finest hour, but the Adventure Club is back again.

I apologize for taking forever to finish one measly chapter, but I've been busy and lacking motivation. I only ever seem to get motivation for my writing when I have other, more important things I'm supposed to be doing, and so here I am.

I won't waste any more of your time, and let's pick up where we left off.

-----

When I awoke, I noticed my sleeping bag was much colder than I remembered it being when I fell asleep. After a couple seconds, I noticed that it was also not there at all. I was laying in the middle of a cold, concrete floor, my sleeping bag and pillow nowhere to be seen. Even though the floor was woefully uncomfortable, I laid there for a few minutes, trying to process where my stuff could have gone. Drawing no logical conclusions, I sat up and looked around.

Tracy and Charlie were still lying on the floor, and their sleeping bags had also disappeared. Upon further inspection, I noticed that everything we had brought with us was gone. The clothes we had worn to sleep were all we had left. This meant all three of us were barefoot, and we wouldn't have anything else to put on if we needed it. After spending far too long thinking about clothes, one big, glaring detail finally dawned on me: Andy was gone.

"Andy!" I shouted quietly, hoping he was just playing some dumb prank. "If you hid all our shit I'm going to kill you!"

No response. I rolled my eyes and crawled over to the girls, figuring we'd be able to find the idiot easier if we were all awake. Putting a hand on Charlie's shoulder, I tried to shake her awake as gently as possible, fearing her wrath if I was too forceful. Her loud snoring ended with an even louder snort, and she gave a muffled grunt as she realized she was lying face-down on the floor.

"What is it?" Charlie groaned, rolling over onto her back. Her eyes were barely open and she looked impossibly sleepy; she probably wanted to roll over and doze off again despite the fact that she was laying on a cold, concrete slab. She gave her nose a rough rub with her index finger and snuffled, dropping her head back down onto the floor with a thud. "Ow."

"I think Andy hid our stuff," I explained, sitting on the floor between her and Tracy. Charlie stared up at me for a second before closing her eyes again.

"Fine. Just tell him I'll kill him once I feel like getting up."

"He's not here," I blurted, knowing that would get Charlie on her feet. Sure enough, she shot up, her eyes wide for half a second. She glared over at me, jabbing a finger in my direction.

"Where is he?" Charlie asked, her eyes widening again. I shrugged.

"Where is he!?" she demanded, climbing to her feet. Charlie grabbed me by the collar and shook me. I did my best to keep up my apathetic expression. "Tell me where he is! I have to beat the crap out of him for taking my shit!"

"Nobody takes your shit, Charlie," I droned, letting my limbs flop around like a ragdoll's as the enraged girl shook me. Eventually, Charlie let me go and I regained some expression.

"Let's get Tracy up and go look for him. He's definitely not going to come to us. Last time he did this, he was seriously hiding for hours. He literally never gets bored if he knows people are mad at him," I said, kneeling down to wake up Tracy. She didn't appear to have reacted in the slightest to her sleeping bag being taken away, and her arms were curled slightly as if she were still holding her stuffed animals.

"I got this," Charlie interjected, suddenly appearing beside me. From the few sleepovers we had in the past, we all discovered that Tracy was notoriously difficult to wake up. I still didn't have any sure-fire method, so I figured I'd let Charlie give it a shot. Tracy's shirt had bunched up a little under her arms, exposing her belly. I wasn't surprised as Charlie reached for Tracy's bare midriff, but I was certainly shocked by how effective it was. Charlie began to tickle Tracy's belly, and after just a few seconds, the normally-silent girl sat bolt upright, laughing her head off. Tracy put a hand on her stomach, trying to control herself, but she just couldn't stop giggling. However, her mirth did eventually come to an end as she suddenly let out a sneeze right in Charlie's face.

"Ha-CHH!"

"Gesundheit," Charlie grumbled, slowly dragging her palm down over her face to clear away whatever Tracy had sneezed out.

"Sorry," Tracy responded, her voice back to its usual light and airy tone. She wiped her nose on the back of her wrist and squinted at me, probably trying to determine which of us I was without her glasses.

"Andy took our stuff," I said, glancing over at the door. Tracy gasped, beginning to feel around on the floor near where she had been sleeping. I assumed she was looking for her glasses, but as it turns out, Tracy had other priorities.

"Mister Turtle!" she yelped, turning around in a circle. She felt around some more, and then she squinted at the farther reaches of the room. "Miss Shark!" Tracy whimpered softly and then wrapped her arms around one of Charlie's, clinging to her for comfort.

"Don’t worry, I'll kill him when we find him," Charlie said, rubbing Tracy's back. Tracy nodded and snuggled into the other girl, deeming her an acceptable substitute for the stuffed animals. I waved a hand at them, trying to get their attention.

"Uh, what about your glasses, Tracy? You can't see," I said, trying to be practical. Tracy squinted at me again, and then she shrugged. No imaginary friend left behind, huh?

"Whatever, fine," I said, standing up and heading for the door. Andy clearly wasn't in the room with us anymore, so I went to check the hallway. I flung the door open in frustration, but the instant I looked outside, I could feel all my energy being sucked away. The hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end as I turned around to face the girls.

"We're..." I stammered, struggling to find the right words. "We're not in the same place."

"Yeah, right," Charlie said with a snort, leading Tracy over to the door. She clearly didn't believe me, but now that I had seen the hallway outside, I could tell just by looking at the room we were in.

"No, I'm serious!" I said, holding an arm out in front of the door to keep Charlie and Tracy from leaving. "There was a table in the other room. The room we went to sleep in, I mean. Would Andy take the table too?"

"Yes," Charlie responded flatly, Tracy nodding in agreement. They pushed past me and headed out into the hall, but they quickly came to a stop. Charlie turned her head back to me and gave me a grave look.

"I think you might be right," she said, gesturing for me to come look. I pulled up beside her and stared out into the hall. Before I noticed the hallway was different so quickly that I didn't even bother to see how it was different, so now I stopped for the details. Firstly, this hallway was much darker than the one in the basement. Both were underground with the lights off, so I wasn't even sure how that was possible, but it was definitely darker wherever we were now. Furthermore, the only doorway I could see was the one to the room we were in. One end of the hallway was directly to our right, nothing more than a wall of bare concrete, and the rest of the hall seemed to stretch out infinitely to our left.

"I guess we have to go that way," I said, nodding to the left. Charlie nodded, her expression still grave, but after a few seconds, her big nose began to slowly crinkle up. I backed away, knowing what was about to happen, but Tracy had no such luxury available to her.

"HUAA-KNNXX!!!"

Charlie let out one of her big, wet Charlie-sneezes right in Tracy's face. Tracy let out a little yelp and squeezed her eyes shut in time to protect herself, and then she gently wiped herself off. Charlie snorted loudly, slowly wiggling her nose from side to side, and then she gave an annoyed sigh.

"Sorry," she said flatly, not usually one to apologize. Tracy shook her head dismissively and shrugged.

"There, now you're even," I said, gently pushing them through the doorway. "Can we just go now?"

With that, we were on our way. It was slow going, but there wasn't much of anything to get in our way. Eventually, the lone doorway disappeared into the darkness behind us, leaving nothing but concrete on all sides. I began to wonder how we could even see given how dark it was, but I just supposed our eyes must have adjusted to what little light there was. Then, I felt my hair stand on end again. It was that awful feeling that there was something behind me, and I was simultaneously too scared to look and too scared not to.

Eventually, I made up my mind and decided to look, knowing I was being ridiculous and there was no way anything could be there. Taking a deep breath, I slowly turned my head and looked back over my shoulder. Nothing but darkness sprawled out behind us. I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or just more scared, but eventually I settled on the side of "ignorance is bliss" and I started to calm down. But, before I could turn to face forward again.

"Het'CHMFF!"

I wrapped my elbow around my face to catch a sneeze. I didn't think much of it, since it was pretty dusty down here and everyone else had already sneezed anyway. But then, when I opened my eyes, my blood ran cold. I saw a pale white face, barely visible in the darkness behind us. Honestly, it hardly even looked like a face. It was just a white disc with two black pits where its eyes should have been, and a single line as its mouth. It didn't look like it was moving closer, and to be honest I wasn't even sure if it was real or if I was just imagining it, but I sure as hell wasn't about to stick around to find out.

"Shit! Run!" I screamed, sprinting forward as fast as I could. Charlie was still acting as Tracy's eyes, and as such she was hesitant to run. As I passed them I remembered that Tracy was slow even under the best conditions. I willed myself to slow down for their sake, but my legs wouldn't stop. Never before had I felt such a deep need to get away from something, so I just kept sprinting.

"Toby! Wait!" I heard someone call out to me. At first I assumed it was Charlie, but after a second I eventually recognized it as Tracy's quiet voice. Once I fully processed everything that was happening, I slowed to a stop and turned around. Just as I had feared, I couldn't see anything but darkness behind me, and I couldn't even hear them.

"Tracy!? Charlie!?" I bellowed down the hall, hoping to hear anything at all in response. I would have been elated if Charlie suddenly charged out of the darkness and socked me in the face for leaving them behind, but I had no such luck.

"Jesus... Shit!" I half-whispered, half-shouted to myself. I had no idea what the hell I was supposed to do, so I just backed up against one of the walls and sank to the ground. Subconsciously I kept track of which way was which, but I knew this was a perfect way to get lost. I sat there in the darkness for a few minutes. Normally I would have lost track of time, but I couldn't keep myself from counting every last second that ticked by. Then, I heard the sound of footsteps, growing louder and nearer every second. I leaped back to my feet, hoping to see Charlie and Tracy come into view, but then my mind began to wander. What if it was something else?

-----

What's coming out of the darkness?

• Charlie and Tracy
  • Andy
  • Something Else

-----

As always, I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing! And I'd like to apologize again for taking so long to churn this one out. Hopefully the next chapter will be along more quickly, but unfortunately I can't promise anything. Just let me say I love these characters too much to let this series die out, so I really do want to keep it going as long as I can.

Oh my gosh, this is the hardest question you've written so far! Well, at least for me it is. Ugh, I have no idea which one I want. Umm, okay, I'll just pick really quickly. Alright, I pick the "something else".

Update soon! :)

BYE! :bleh:

The beginning of this sounds uncannily similar to the Haruhi Suzumiya series... Have you seen/read it, and if so, would you be interested in writing a drabble?

Something else, because it's really the only option :D

Dun dun duuuunn...

Something else of course. ;) Delightfully spooky update. :D

Im so happy you updated again! w00t.gif

Hm, though I am worried about Andy...

Definitely voting for "something else!"

Hey everyone, ready for some more?

Truth be told, I feel like this chapter really isn't my best work. I'm just not sure how else to go about it, so I figured I'd hammer it out and see where I wound up. I've done way worse in the past, but I guess I feel like I should cover my ass in case nobody likes this part. xD

@peppercat: I've seen the Haruhi Suzumiya series, but that was quite a long time ago. As for writing a drabble, I'm personally not so big on drabbles or fanfiction, so I think I'll have to decline. I'm sure there are plenty of other people who would be up for trying though.

Anyway, here it is:

-----

"Who's there!?" I shouted, staring down the dark hall. The footsteps suddenly stopped, as if whatever was making them had heard me. I backed away, pressing up against the wall. For a moment, I almost felt like I was going to cry. Not because I was scared. Well, I'm sure that was part of it, but not the biggest part of it. Mostly, it was because of how ashamed I felt that I had abandoned my friends. Realizing there was nothing I could do about it now, I stared back into the darkness, expecting to see that deranged white face again.

"What do you want?" I said in a resigned tone, not really caring anymore. I still didn't see anything, so I wasn't sure what to expect. A few seconds passed with no response. As I stared into the endless dark, I felt the dusty air starting to get to me again, and my eyes began to close.

"Heh... Het'CHMF!"

I opened my eyes again as quickly as I could and sure enough, there it was, staring at me from as far down the hall as I could see. This time I actually took a moment to observe it, and strangely it didn't appear to be moving any closer. After scrutinizing the blank white face for a minute, I remembered something crucial.

"You're the Pale Watcher! I guess there's a reason for that name. You're not even going to do anything, are you?" I said aloud, staring the visage down. As I expected, no response. I wasn't sure where my newfound bravery was coming from, but I supposed I was just feeling confident nothing catastrophic would happen after all. In hindsight I felt like a total idiot running away from this thing, but that was the past. With my newfound confidence, I decided the best way to make up for it would be to go back for my friends.

"What happens if I do this?" I muttered to myself, taking a step toward the Watcher. At first it still didn't react, but as I took a second step, the face moved backward ever so slightly, maintaining the distance between us. Grinning like an idiot, I took another step, and then another, and before long I was jogging back down the corridor.

"Tracy? Charlie?" I called out, not sure whether they'd hear me or not. I had no idea how far I had run, and as such I had no idea how far back I'd have to go to find them. The Pale Watcher was still keeping its distance, and believing I truly had nothing to fear, I started to run.

Minutes passed. If the disembodied face floating a few feet in front of me wasn't signal enough, something was very wrong with this hallway. I had already been running for way longer than I did when I was running away, and yet I still couldn't find Tracy or Charlie. In classic supernatural fashion, it was as if someone just stretched out the hall while I wasn't looking. I glanced back over my shoulder just to make sure I hadn't somehow missed something, but when I turned around again, I ran headlong into what seemed to be another person. I landed on my back and I could tell from the unceremonious thud that whoever I ran into suffered the same fate.

"Ow, damn! Who's there? Are you okay?"

"Hih... Hih-CHH!"

"T-Tracy?" I blurted, recognizing her soft sneeze. Beside me I heard a frustrated grunt.

"Great. I only just got her to stop a second ago."

"Charlie?" I mumbled, looking up to see her standing over me. Her arms were folded and she wore a displeased look. Well, more displeased than usual, and I couldn't say I blamed her.

"You," she grumbled, stepping over to Tracy to pull her back up to her feet. It was beyond obvious Charlie was upset with me, so I didn't press her as I climbed back to a standing position. I glanced back over at the others to see that Tracy had one again latched onto Charlie's arm for support, and her thin nostrils were flaring wildly every few seconds.

"Hihh! Hih-CH! Hih-Hih... Hih! Hih-CHH!"

"Bless you," I offered, hoping to patch things up with the two of them. Tracy would usually respond with a silent nod or something similar, but this time she ignored me.

"You're not going to run away again, are you?" Charlie asked impatiently, raising an eyebrow at me. I shook my head but remained silent. For a moment I considered explaining what had happened, but now probably wasn't the best time. Instead, I kicked at the floor with my right foot as I tried to find the right words.

"Look, can we just get out of here?" Charlie said, interrupting my thought process. "We can berate you for being a wuss later. Let's just go, okay?" Having no objections, I nodded.

We set out again, and this time I never bothered to look behind me. I trailed a foot or two behind Charlie and Tracy so I wouldn't get in their way, and I thought it might comfort them a little to know that if there was something horrible behind us, it would get me first. The trek was mostly silent, but Tracy kept breaking into quick sneezing fits every so often.

"Hih! Hih-CHH! Hih-Hih-Hih! Hihh-CHHH! Hih-CHH! HAA-CHHH!"

I watched Tracy's head snap forward with each sneeze, though they were gentle enough not to break her stride as she followed Charlie. After the fit subsided, she detached one hand from Charlie's arm and gently rubbed her nose before grabbing on again.

"Gesundheit," Charlie said, looking over at the shorter girl. "You okay?" With a nod, Tracy sighed and sniffed, the situation clearly starting to weigh on her. After taking a moment to catch our breath, we continued on. But our walk didn't last much longer. Only about a minute later, the concrete walls closed in around us and we found ourselves at a dead end.

"That's impossible!" Charlie said, walking up to the wall. She knocked on it a few times, possibly expecting it to give way or turn out to be some sort of illusion, but it was solid. Charlie turned back to us, but suddenly she went rigid.

"Shit!" she said under her breath, backing up against the wall. Tracy followed, not sure how else to react. I turned as well, and like before that blank white face was staring straight at me. I felt a little startled, but since the Pale Watcher left me alone before, I wasn't terribly scared, at least not at first. A few seconds later, the Watcher did something I didn't expect. It started moving toward us. This time, running away wasn't even an option. All three of us had our backs up against the wall, and there was simply nowhere for us to go. Maybe this was the plan all along. Lure us into a trap we could never hope to escape from, and then close in for the kill.

"What is it?" Tracy asked softly, squinting tightly and leaning forward. Evidently, without her glasses she couldn't see what Charlie and I were seeing at all.

"It's the P-" I began, about to convey what I had seen earlier, but I was interrupted by Charlie suddenly stepping forward.

"Its ass is mine!" she bellowed, raising her right arm and rubbing her wrist. The tall girl's pace quickened until she was practically running, and then she lunged forward, swinging her fist with all her might. This was a typical Charlie reaction: when something got in the way, punch it in the face. Under normal circumstances I might have objected, but I sure as hell couldn't think of anything else to do.

Charlie's punch passed straight through the Pale Watcher, causing it to ripple for a second. When nothing else happened, Charlie gritted her teeth and drew back to give it another swing. However, just as her second punch was about to connect, the Pale Watcher gave off a flash of light so bright I reflexively raised my arm to cover my eyes. The light lasted for several seconds, and for a second I felt like the world around me flipped upside down. I fell head-first for a split second before landing on my ass on a cold tile floor.

"FFfff-Ow!" I yelped, censoring myself once I realized I was fine. I opened my eyes to find us sitting back in the same basement room we had gone to sleep in earlier that night. I glanced to my left to see Tracy lying prone on the floor, but before I could help her up she quickly crawled over to her sleeping bag and grabbed her stuffed animals. In that moment I realized that we really were the only things that had been moved, and our stuff was exactly where we left it.

Hearing a cough, I looked to my right to see that Charlie had landed on her ass as well, and she was propping herself up with her hands out to her sides. While Tracy and I had basically just been dropped on the floor, Charlie seemed to have gotten a slightly different treatment. Her blonde hair was blasted back and her face was caked with a strange white powder.

"You okay, Charlie?" I asked, scooting toward her a bit.

"Huh... HUAA-KNNNX!!!"

Charlie sneezed, expelling some more of the powder from her nose. She was fine. I stood up and stumbled over to her, extending a hand to help her back to her feet.

"I think this is the closest you'll ever get to being slimed," I said, pulling Charlie up. She eyed me disapprovingly for a second, but then she smiled. After Charlie smacked me firmly on the shoulder, we all noticed something very obvious that we had somehow overlooked: the snoring. We all turned and stared at the center of the room to see Andy sleeping soundly in a heap. I held up a hand in front of Charlie, but before I could utter a word she pushed me out of the way.

"You!" she shouted, grabbing Andy by the neck and lifting him out of his sleeping bag. His snoring ended abruptly and he gave Charlie a lazy, tired smile.

"Hey guys," he slurred, clearly still mostly asleep. "Is it ghostbusters time yet?" Charlie drew a blank for a second, and then her expression became even more furious.

"You mean you slept through all of that!?" she demanded, shaking the idiot. Andy's eyes opened a little wider as he became progressively more awake. He shrugged.

"All of what? Did I miss something? And what happened to your face? I thought the ponytail was enough, but you went way heavy on the makeup."

With an angry snarl, Charlie hurled Andy back to the ground and stormed out of the room. I just stood off to the side for a moment before I could get myself to react.

"You missed quite a bit," I said, walking over to Andy. He waved a hand at me and shrugged.

"I figured as much," he groaned, eating his pillow. Andy sat up, yawned, and then set to work packing up his sleeping bag.

Before too long, all of us had packed up our stuff, and Charlie even returned to the room to get her things, her desire to go home greater than her desire to keep her distance from Andy. Nobody had much to say as we left the room, and we ascended the stairs back to the ground floor in silence. However, as I stepped up onto the landing, I saw that everyone else had stopped. Peering around them, I saw a black hooded figure at the far end of the hall. It had a blank white face, similar to the Pale Watcher but not quite the same. I wasn't sure how to react, but once again, Charlie had a plan.

"Enough is enough!" she shouted, hurling her sleeping bag to the ground. Rolling up her sleeve, Charlie began to charge forward, clearly hankering to punch another ghost. "I have had it with these mother-"

With a satisfying thwack! Charlie's fist actually connected with her opponent. Right in the face. It sounded painful, and given the abrupt halt to her rant, Charlie must not have expected it to actually work. The hooded figure keeled over like a rotten log, and the rest of us ran up to see what was what.

"Holy shit!" Andy blurted as he stared down at the limp body. Charlie rubbed her knuckles and shrugged.

"I think it's safe to say this isn't actually a ghost," Charlie said, nudging the body with her foot.

"Holy shit!!" Andy repeated. Realizing what this really was, I knelt down next to the figure and grabbed the top of its face. Just as I thought, it pulled right off like the mask it was. Underneath was Olivia, the same girl who had come to harass us when we first tried to set up our club.

"Hey, it's that cheerleader chick," I announced, tossing the mask to the floor next to her.

"Holy shit!!!" Andy screamed again, placing his hands on the sides of his face. We glanced back and forth at one another, and once we realized Charlie had just given the school's star cheerleader a black eye, we decided a quick withdrawal was in order. Gathering up our sleeping bags, we sprinted right out the front door. Even Tracy was making pretty good time. With no time to plan a proper escape, we all piled into Andy's car for a quick getaway, and we disappeared into the night.

And yes, we did just leave Olivia lying in the middle of the floor. The janitors would find her eventually.

-----

So ends the Pale Watcher arc. I think I'm going to try to do things in a similar story arc fashion to this in the future.

Also, I figure at the end of each arc, the choice will be what sort of arc to do next. I'll give the usual choices, but I'll also include a description for each one so you know what each one is going to be.

• A Change In Perspective: Before moving on to the next complete arc, I'll write a chapter from the other characters' perspectives. I figure it might be fun to get into the other characters' heads to see how they think and feel about what has just been shown from Toby's perspective so far. Depending on how much content I can think of, it'll either be a separate chapter for each character or one that cycles around all three of them.
  • Another Supernatural/Investigation Arc: The Adventure Club catches wind of another weird thing to investigate, and they jump right on it. If this ends up being the vote, I'll try to come up with something very different from the Pale Watcher arc for the sake of variety. Also, if anyone has any specific requests for another investigation arc, please don't hesitate to lay them on me. I'm more than happy to take suggestions.
  • Club Wars: An annual school event pits one club against another in a tournament-like setting. The clubs with seniority get to choose the challenges in their brackets, and since The Adventure Club is the newest one around, they'll be at the mercy of their opponents. This arc could include things like racing and hyper-immersive virtual reality games. Again, I'm more than open to suggestions for opponent clubs or challenges if anyone wants to offer any.

Alrighty then. I hope everyone enjoyed this story arc, and I hope you're all still looking forward to the next one!

That was amazing, Blah-San! I think that this story is the funnest story to read on the forum. I love choose what's going to happen! Oh, and speaking of that--my gosh!--the choices on this chapter are freaking amazing! I have to say that I really want to see the Change in Perspective. After that I'd probably want to see the Club Wars. I really had a lot of fun in the last arc, Blah-San! Thanks! :) Continue soon!

BYE! :bleh:

Edited to say that I love knightinggale's ideas of a pool club and garden club (especially because of the most likely occurrence of pollen and chlorine allergies :heart: ). I'd love to add to this list with a drama club (who know what those kids could come up with) and a builders' club (sawdust anyone? ;) ).

Edited by VividBubbles!

Club Wars sounds promising!

Hm, my school had a huge gardening club, they even had a big green house.

Or maybe a sports club could challenge them to do one of those floating obstacle courses on top of a pool?

And of course, the classic game of kickball is a weed-filled feild!!

Ooh, I really like the change in perspective idea. I'd like to see things through Charlie's eyes specifically. She cracks me up.

CLUB WARS >8D

That would be awesome~

The Pale Watcher thingie was interesting~

...sorry, I'm out of smart words today. u___u'''

Ooh, intriguing turn. :) Cool arc. And I can't decide between the options. xD