Sneeze Fetish Forum

Anyone have interesting traits?

Whitehorse

I speak fluent Sindarian, quite a bit of Quenlya (yes, those are both Elvish from LOTR I'm such a nerd) some Hebrew and a bit of Spanish.

I have to nitpick (or nerd out) a bit and mention that neither Sindarin nor Quenya are complete languages, so it'd be pretty hard to be fluent in them! At best, Tolkien put together fragments and invented up new words and grammatical rules along the way (which is in itself still wildly impressive given the extents and consistencies he held). That said, it's certainly possible to use those pre-established rules and sort of neo-translate certain words and passages, but there wouldn't be one authority to say what's correct from incorrect. Sadly heh.gif !

I meant as fluent as can be expected, deary. Also, because of the extent of the grammatical rules he created, it's possible to build words using base words, prefixes, and suffixes just like the English language. So while I can say something that the direct translation to English wouldn't make much sense or would be too wordy, it would still have the same basic meaning even if I have to use more words or different words to say it. In comparrison to the other languages of LOTR though...yeah I'm quite fluent seeing as how I can only speak/translate direct quotes in the others.

Even so, Sindarin is fragmented at best, and the equivalent to saying you speakGothic or Etruscan. There just isn't enough of the language established by the creator or any native speakers to claim an authority (even Tolkien couldn't be considered fluent!). Anything else is sort of conjecture. The Sindarin used in Peter Jackson's films, for example, was very heavily patchworked by David Salo. Another reader of the source material might come up with something quite different, depending on their interpretations and loan words, potentially to the point of being unintelligible. Hm, fan dialects? An interesting thought :lol:

My interesting traits are artistic inclination, animal medicine, and over-analysis, it seems.

my thumb is double jointed and my mom wasn't aware of this until i turned 13 lol

also, I have 'l'appel divide' which I believe is the french way of saying the urge to jump from high places,

but having absolutely no desire to die (idk if thats an interesting trait aha)

Also, because of the extent of the grammatical rules he created

If you are referring to Tolkien, I thought I would also add that possibly one of the greatest lamentations of those who do wish to speak Sindarin is that the grammar and syntax (not to mention general vocab!) are in fact not extensive enough to 'learn' the language as we might learn one actually spoken... on earth. :lol: This is not by fault but by choice, as Tolkien himself stated that it was never his intention to create a fully fledged usable language, but that Elvish was a means of artistic exploration within his own personal passion for linguistics.

I have the utmost respect for David Salo and others who have created their own expansions of Sindarin based on the original source material. But, it is also not uncommonly known that a great deal of these grammatical structures (Salo's Gateway to Sindarin- plurals, for example) cannot be attested to Tolkien's writing, purely because the canon simply did not cover it. While it is wonderful to have fellow enthusiasts with an incredible amount of language expertise dedicated to extending Sindarin and identifying rules based on existing patterns, this has occurred because of the absence (rather than the extent) of a comprehensive and corrective model.

it's possible to build words using base words, prefixes, and suffixes just like the English language.

Related to my points above, this is actually one of the reasons why fluency in the language is not really considered possible. Because Tolkien wanted his languages to have a deep-routed and realistic historical feel, Sindarin also shares characteristics of grammatical irregularities in English (and other languages that have evolved from ancient forms). So, in many situations, there is no across-the-board rule for why a particular verb is conjugated in one way or another, and there was not meant to be. In English we have the benefit of an idiomatic learning system, whereas there are limited Sindarin examples and no universally accepted method for knowing what prefixes and suffixes would be used outside the original works.

For the record, I did also try to think of an interesting trait about myself. Fluency in Sindarin being out, the next one that came to mind was 'raving'... which I think has potential! :pinch::sweatdrop:

Hmmm.. Something interesting about me

I went to 11th grade (the last one in Ukraine) Exams next year :(

I've been learning English since I'm 7.. So I speak English, Russian and Ukrainian

Also I like talking to people from different countries in the Internet.

I'm missing the first joint of the index finger on my right hand. Got slammed off in a front door when I was 18. Thank god I was drunk I can't really remember how bad the pain was.

hmmmm...

I'm currently pregnant with twins. Is that interesting? idk....

I'm left handed.

I have a port wine stain birthmark on the right side of my face. I had several surgeries to get it "removed" in high school, but it's still there.

I have a terrible sense of direction. It's kind of pathetic, to be honest.

I kick ass at air hockey.

• 1 month later...

I'm double jointend every basically possible except my arms which is really odd I can play the violin (not really sure if counts if I'm not very good) I can't whistle or snap my fingers which is pretty lame

• 3 months later...

When I was 18 months I had an incredibly rare foot tumor. (90th case) a few years later my sister had a rare foot tumor. They were non related and not genetic. The doctor said our odds were better to win the lottery. I still haven't won.

Interesting traits...

-I'm left-handed. So is my brother, but both of our parents are right-handed. Go figure.

-I have a birthmark on my left forearm...that is almost exactly the same as the birthmark on my left calf!

-My right shoulder hangs just slightly lower than my left shoulder.

-I have scoliosis, or at least I show signs of it...is that interesting? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I can pronounce any Japanese word, though I am still in the process of learning Japanese lol.

I was born when my mom was less than six months along and weighed 1 pound and 6 ounces.

Also since I was 9 I have learned how to... Puppeteer. Don't laugh!

• 1 year later...

Im a lefty and read backwards as a kid and understood it perfectly

- I'm right handed but I eat with my left hand

-I've always played some kind of musical instrument since I was 6. (All I've ever played is only guitar and piano though.)

- Im allergic to a lot of different kinds of medicines so there's very little I can take. And anything cinnamon scented. Not just cinnamon but it has to be cinnamon-scented  

- My left foot is double jointed (it's really weird)

- Both of my thumbs are perfectly straight.

- The joints in my left hand are much bigger and unusual than my right hand. I get a lot of x-rays done but there's nothing broken or out of place.. it's strange

And probably some more things I'll think of later..

On 3/13/2017 at 4:33 PM, Cutekats said:

- I'm right handed but I eat with my left hand

-I've always played some kind of musical instrument since I was 6. (All I've ever played is only guitar and piano though.)

- Im allergic to a lot of different kinds of medicines so there's very little I can take. And anything cinnamon scented. Not just cinnamon but it has to be cinnamon-scented  

- My left foot is double jointed (it's really weird)

- Both of my thumbs are perfectly straight.

- The joints in my left hand are much bigger and unusual than my right hand. I get a lot of x-rays done but there's nothing broken or out of place.. it's strange

And probably some more things I'll think of later..

And to add to this:

- My hair is like a rusty brownish color but I have natural red highlights, I guess you'd call them, that you can only see in the sun. 

- Spanish is my second language. I have two aunts that are Spanish teachers actually and they always taught us at holidays and stuff. Plus I've studied it in school. It's really cool being able to read and understand chapter books in different languages

- I've tried and quit almost every sports or activity ever. Here's the long list: swimming, dance, cheerleading, gymnastics, softball, soccer, track. I wasn't necessarily bad at all of them I just didn't really like them. 

On December 12, 2015 at 0:36 PM, TheWolfOfStone said:

-I have scoliosis, or at least I show signs of it...is that interesting? :lol:

I had/have scoliosis too. I got the surgery when I was 19 and I'm rocking some titanium rods in my back. It's pretty decently corrected, but it'll never be "normal." 

Let's see...

-I have minor spring allergies

-I am double-jointed (I love freaking people out by bending my thumbs down to my wrists and bending just the very first joint of my ring fingers, if that makes sense)

-I have a mostly photographic memory

-I am a gifted student

-I love playing music

-I am an artist

-I love to write and read (though I'm very picky with what books to read)

-I can read upside-down with ease

-I can write backwards

-I can pronounce some words backwards

-I am learning German (Was habe ich dir gesagt?) and my German accent is so good that when I speak German, many people think I could actually be German, which I actually am partly.

-I am a tomboy

•...but I'm bad at every sport except swimming

•Most of my friends in elementary school were boys, and now since I'm in middle school, most of my friends are girls

•I don't wear makeup or jewelry

•I prefer almost anything over shopping

•I love video games

-My favorite actor is Alan Rickman (well, duh)

-I love archery (even though I haven't shot my bow for like a year...)

-I'm obsessed with Harry Potter and cello (mostly cello)

I'm a pretty average person in general, but to name a few:

-I open my locker with my left hand but I'm right handed

-There are discolored patches on my torso that are darker than my skin tone

-I have an extremely good sense of direction, which leads to this,

-As soon as I know a place, it's in my head. Wherever I am, it's like I have a bird's eye view, as if on google. I can 'see' down and maneuver my way anywhere and pinpoint exact locations (this is probably because I am very very visual)

lets see here....

• I can ride a horse, though I haven't in a long time
  • I really honestly am not good at sports, and am only marginally better at video games, basically, don't invite me to be on your e-sports team
  • I used to be terrified of the dark but now can only sleep with all the lights off
  • I seem to have a knack for writing, really hoping to work in that field professionally one day. 
  • I'm an insomniac

I wonder if these count as 'odd' traits:

-I'm as tall as the average 21yo man in my country (6'1"), which is fairly tall for a woman, especially on a global scale. 

-I couldn't play an instrument to save my life, but I can very easily pick out instrumental patterns in music I listen to.

-I'll remember things such as lyrics or snippets of conversations easily, and for years, without reason or effort.

-I have a natural feeling for grammar, both in my first language and in English, even though apart from at school I've never studied it too well. 

-I'm miserable at sports. Like, the worst. 

Archived