Sneeze Fetish Forum

Horror movies

Heathcliff

My favourite film critic Mark Kermode is a lover of horror films. It's not a genre I've ever liked very much, but he is so enthusiastic about it wanted to try it again.

This weekend I watched Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time... also I really love It, the Stephen King film. I should also mention I watched Get Out by Jordan Peele, which is brilliant and I would encourage you to see it.

I'm wanting to get into this more. Does anyone have any favourite horror films?

Horror is my favorite genre next to comedy. There's a lot of trash but when often something good is brilliant. I love it when it mixes with comedy, I think it often results in some very entertaining films.  Some of my own favorites or just ones I've really enjoyed: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Suspiria (Thrilled about the remake!), It Follows, The Sixth Sense, The Others, The Conjuring 1 and 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Cabin in the Woods, All of the Evil Dead movies, Return of the Living Dead, Scream, Martin, Trick r' Treat, Krampus, The Shining, Tigers Are Not Afraid, mother!, Black Swan, It, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Alien, Aliens, It Comes at Night, A Cure for Wellness, Split, Better Watch Out, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, The Babadook, Train to Busan, The Wailing, Hush, Don't Breathe, Bone Tomahawk, The Final Girls, They Look Like People, The Witch, Spring, Resolution, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The WNUF Halloween Special, What We Do in the Shadows, Stoker, the Fright Night remake, Detention, Let the Right One In and its American remake, I Saw the Devil, etc. I could go on forever, there's a lot of very cool stuff out there from all over the world. 

I was really into horror movies as a teen, but I've grown far more squeamish the older I get. I still read horror novels and have no problem with that, for some reason, but I'm not watching a lot of horror movies anymore. HOWEVER, a few years ago, I watched the mindfuck horror masterpiece "Oculus", which I very much recommend. :D 

I loved "Poltergeist" as well, that's one of my all-time favourite movies all categories, but make sure you get the original and not the remake. The 1981 version is slightly dated and rough around the edges by our 2018 standards, but the actors have amazing chemistry and the movie has character. The 2015 remake has beautiful CGI, but bland acting and gives off the vibe that it's not even trying. 

I'm really into Asian horror films. Mostly Japanese horror films, though. Some great ones are the original Ringu (Japanese) , Ju-On (Japanese) , A Tale of Two Sisters (Korean) , Shutter (Thai), Train to Busan (Korean), and that's all off the top of my head.

Texas Chainsaw massacre. I love me some leatherface. I've seen every last one except for Leatherface. 

Halloween

Get out was brilliant

Friday the 13th...

Nightmare on elm street. Seen them all hate the new one.

Saw....only seen up to 5 because everything else is fillers

Psycho the first one only 

....i have more 

5 hours ago, DeVil_no5 said:

I was really into horror movies as a teen, but I've grown far more squeamish the older I get. I still read horror novels and have no problem with that, for some reason, but I'm not watching a lot of horror movies anymore. HOWEVER, a few years ago, I watched the mindfuck horror masterpiece "Oculus", which I very much recommend. :D 

Oculus was pretty good. Not sure about the ending but I did like the movie overall. Mike Flanagan is a very solid horror director. I can't wait for his mini series of "The Haunting of Hill House." 

21 minutes ago, Bleh said:

I really like the Purge series.

I don't think they're as good as they could be, but the series actually got better as it went along. I think the franchise did an increasingly good job of mixing thrills with commentary. I like the visual style and the characters. i haven't seen the prequel and the TV show yet, though. 

Not really into horror movies, I more like suspense but the first Halloween is very good.

If you're into anime at all there's a great little horror series called YamiShiba where each episode is 4mins long and based on a Japanese tail or folklore.  Nice little jump scares a lot of the time and some very interesting animation.  I believe it's up to 4 or 5 seasons but easy to marathon since they're so short.

2 minutes ago, Mononoke said:

Not really into horror movies, I more like suspense but the first Halloween is very good.

If you're into anime at all there's a great little horror series called YamiShiba where each episode is 4mins long and based on a Japanese tail or folklore.  Nice little jump scares a lot of the time and some very interesting animation.  I believe it's up to 4 or 5 seasons but easy to marathon since they're so short.

That reminds me, there's some great horror anime out there. The stuff by Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue) is top-notch. Both pretty mind-bending stuff. If you don't mind blood and gore, When They Cry and Elfen Lied are pretty good too. 

3 minutes ago, Travel said:

That reminds me, there's some great horror anime out there. The stuff by Satoshi Kon (Paranoia Agent, Perfect Blue) is top-notch. Both pretty mind-bending stuff. If you don't mind blood and gore, When They Cry and Elfen Lied are pretty good too. 

Horror anime is my fave genre, I could give tons of recs XD I only like the first season of Higurashi though. Shiki is my fave horror anime.

2 minutes ago, Mononoke said:

Horror anime is my fave genre, I could give tons of recs XD I only like the first season of Higurashi though. Shiki is my fave horror anime.

Oh yeah, the first season of Higurashi is the best. I've liked what I've seen of Umineko too, but it seems to be a lot more comedic than Higurashi, which is fine, it just means that it's a different type of show

Im not into horror persay BUT I LOVE PARODY Horror and Yes GET OUT WAS AMAZING

11 hours ago, Travel said:

Horror is my favorite genre next to comedy. There's a lot of trash but when often something good is brilliant. I love it when it mixes with comedy, I think it often results in some very entertaining films.  Some of my own favorites or just ones I've really enjoyed: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Suspiria (Thrilled about the remake!), It Follows, The Sixth Sense, The Others, The Conjuring 1 and 2, A Nightmare on Elm Street, The Cabin in the Woods, All of the Evil Dead movies, Return of the Living Dead, Scream, Martin, Trick r' Treat, Krampus, The Shining, Tigers Are Not Afraid, mother!, Black Swan, It, The Killing of a Sacred Deer, Alien, Aliens, It Comes at Night, A Cure for Wellness, Split, Better Watch Out, The Autopsy of Jane Doe, The Babadook, Train to Busan, The Wailing, Hush, Don't Breathe, Bone Tomahawk, The Final Girls, They Look Like People, The Witch, Spring, Resolution, A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, The WNUF Halloween Special, What We Do in the Shadows, Stoker, the Fright Night remake, Detention, Let the Right One In and its American remake, I Saw the Devil, etc. I could go on forever, there's a lot of very cool stuff out there from all over the world. 

without copying most of this. HOLY CRAP TRAIN TO BUSAN YES YES YES. i only know one other person who's ever seen Bone Tomahawk. Brilliant. What we Do in the Shadows is hysterical, and yes Suspira and yes mother! if you want to be disturbed and Hush  and yes most of thos other ones. I don't even know where to start with for a list of my own but yessssss.

Also, watch REC. it's Spanish and  the U.S. remade it into Quarantine-(which was shit).

ill comment some of my own at some point im sure

1 minute ago, forestdaze said:

without copying most of this. HOLY CRAP TRAIN TO BUSAN YES YES YES. i only know one other person who's ever seen Bone Tomahawk. Brilliant. What we Do in the Shadows is hysterical, and yes Suspira and yes mother! if you want to be disturbed and Hush  and yes most of thos other ones. I don't even know where to start with for a list of my own but yessssss.

Also, watch REC. it's Spanish and  the U.S. remade it into Quarantine-(which was shit).

ill comment some of my own at some point im sure

I'm glad you like my list! I LOVE Rec. I never saw Quarantine and don't plan to, but I seriously need to see the other REC movies. I've put them off for far too long. Other fun recommendations that just came to mind: Dead Alive and The Day of the Beast. 

2 minutes ago, Travel said:

I'm glad you like my list! I LOVE Rec. I never saw Quarantine and don't plan to, but I seriously need to see the other REC movies. I've put them off for far too long. Other fun recommendations that just came to mind: Dead Alive and The Day of the Beast. 

honestly, never seen Quarantine either. I'm just relaying the message. 😂😂 Dead Alive is great. Haven't seen The Day of the Beast.

1 minute ago, forestdaze said:

honestly, never seen Quarantine either. I'm just relaying the message. 😂😂 Dead Alive is great. Haven't seen The Day of the Beast.

I don't know how easy it is to find, but it's a Spanish movie by Alex de la Iglesia. More of a horror comedy than anything else, about a priest teaming up with a metalhead to stop the Anti-Christ from being born. It's a lot of fun! 

11 minutes ago, Travel said:

I don't know how easy it is to find, but it's a Spanish movie by Alex de la Iglesia. More of a horror comedy than anything else, about a priest teaming up with a metalhead to stop the Anti-Christ from being born. It's a lot of fun! 

That. Sounds. Amazing. 

beijoseternura

I really love *Black Swan* with Natalie Portman. I love the balance between her real life and all the hallucinations she has and also the dancing. But I don't know if it's a real horror movie?

4 minutes ago, beijoseternura said:

I really love *Black Swan* with Natalie Portman. I love the balance between her real life and all the hallucinations she has and also the dancing. But I don't know if it's a real horror movie?

For me it is. It has a disturbing story coupled with often horrifying visuals, plus a sense of mystery to it where we're not sure for a while what's real or not. And it ends on a pretty disturbing note overall. 

Trying not to repeat anything so far but no promises.  To be continued...

The Exorcist
Carrie
Rosemary's Baby
Insidious
It Follows
The Shining
Silence of the Lambs
IT (original is my preference)
Amytiville Horror
Beyond the Black Rainbow- weird surreal beautiful Kubricky sci-fi horror
The Omen (1976)
An American Werewolf in London
Psycho
V/H/S/2 
The Visit
Hellraiser
28 Days Later
Goodnight Mommy
The Blair Witch Project
Poltergeist
Dead Silence
The Grudge
Orphan

If you need a break, watch Shaun of the Dead!

beijoseternura

There is also one short movie which is called *Survivor Type* and is based on the same named short story written by Stephen King. Gideon Emmery plays the main character but you can't buy it on DVD.. It is just terrifying..

And I am sorry I forgot to add.

*The Woman In Black* with Daniel Radcliffe.. He plays also the main character - a young lawyer who tries to reveal a hidden secret.

As Daniel is my favorite actor for over 17 years now.. I wanted to add this movie too

11 hours ago, DeadPulse said:

Im not into horror persay BUT I LOVE PARODY Horror and Yes GET OUT WAS AMAZING

Same, I love the Scary Movie series and Shriek if You Know What I Did Last Friday The 13th.

I really love the movie "The Skeleton Key". It is not as straightforward horror as some of the things listed in this thread (maybe more in the vein of "The Woman in Black").

Overall, I prefer psychological horror movies over the ones which show a lot of gore and brutality.

The first SAW movie is pretty good as well! The following movies had some good elements, but they were verging on the "show brutality for brutality's sake" side - which is exactly the opposite of what I loved about the first movie. SAW I has some brutal scenes, but most of the horror and suspense comes from the psychological aspect of the movie and how it plays with what the viewers don't know or what the characters suspect.

The same is true for "The Blair Witch Project".

And "Shaun of the Dead" is amazing ^_^ (although "Hot Fuzz" will always be my favourite out of the Cornetto-Trilogy)

Archived