Sneeze Fetish Forum

Don't Overdo It (Genshin Impact, Various, M)

monochrome

So... I fell into the hole that's Genshin Impact, and now the characters live in my mind rent free. I can only hope someone else likes Genshin here (though if not, I still hope this fic is an enjoyable read)!

This is a (nonromantic) oneshot featuring Kaeya and Diluc. The two of them have... an interesting dynamic and convoluted history (here's a clip of them in the game if you're curious, they're just so funny to me. I can't get over their sheer pettiness towards each other. 😅 )  Kaeya is a knight and Diluc is very against the knights, but both of them protect their town in their own ways. Also, Diluc owns/runs a tavern, but doesn't drink.

-- 

It’s raining when Kaeya stumbles into the tavern. It’s been raining on and off, these past few days. The inside of the tavern is well-lit--rain beats down on the rooftop, but the wooden walls are watertight, and it’s much warmer inside than out. 

Diluc is standing at the counter with his back turned, which isn’t new, either. “I’ll have the usual,” Kaeya calls out. He takes a seat behind the counter, crossing his legs, and waits for a response.

Diluc, as usual, does not dignify him with one. He works silently, grabbing a wine glass from the shelves, except there’s something a little different tonight--his shoulders pinned up with some sort of tension. Diluc isn’t at ease in Kaeya’s presence--he hasn’t been for a long time--but he definitely isn’t like this--tense, maybe, like there’s some secret he’s trying to keep.

Kaeya drums his fingers on the countertop. “The weather’s been pretty bad, huh?" he says, partly just in an effort to be incendiary. “I hope it hasn’t affected your night excursions as the Darknight Hero.”

“No need for the concern,” Diluc says. “Unlike the Knights of Favonius, I don’t concern myself with such trifling matters.”

“Is that so? I thought it might be inconvenient for your pyro attacks to go out so quickly in the grass,” Kaeya says. Of course--given that Diluc is such a private person--this is only speculation, and Diluc would never open up to him about something like this. He’s always been content that way -- working in the shadows, guarding Mondstadt at night, avoiding Kaeya with every chance he gets. His presence in the tavern is one of few constants. 

Diluc shrugs. “It is the same as usual. I have no trouble clearing out enemy camps, if you expected otherwise. I--”

Kaeya’s about to respond, but Diluc’s shoulders tense. Suddenly, he’s ducking away from the wine glass as his head snaps forward.

“hhEh’GKTt!”

It’s so forcefully restrained that Kaeya almost winces. It’s obvious that Diluc is trying to be quiet about it, but it’s not like Kaeya’s preoccupied with doing anything else right now, so it’s not very subtle. From the way Diluc sniffles after--almost pitifully, before his shoulders slump and he turns back to wine-pouring--is unbelievably telling.

Oh.

“Bless you,” Kaeya sings. The acknowledgement makes Diluc turn to glare at him. His face, Kaeya notices, is a little red.

“Your wine,” Diluc says in lieu of a proper response, pushing the glass towards Kaeya. He sniffles again.

“An interesting turn of events,” Kaeya says, raising his eyebrow. “It seems you are not as impervious to the weather as you claimed.”

“I have no idea what you’re… t-talking…” Diluc’s expression goes slack again, and he lifts a shaky arm to his face, his eyelids fluttering. “hEHHDSChh!” It’s muffled into the crook of his elbow. The sneeze sounds almost tiring, for the way his posture sags a little after, dropping his arm to his side. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Your cold?” Kaeya says. “I know you like to downplay these things, but it’s pretty obvious.”

“I don’t have a cold,” Diluc says.

Kaeya stares him down. Diluc sighs, his eyebrows furrowing. It’s not an admission, but it’s closer to one than he usually allows. “Even if I did, it would have nothing to do with the weather.”

Kaeya takes a measured sip of his wine. Diluc slumps against the back wall with his arms crossed, looking uncharacteristically spent.

“Really?” Kaeya says finally. “Because it seems to me like you spent one too many nights out in the rain, and you’ve caught a chill or something. You really don’t look well. See, you’re shivering.”

Diluc scowls at him. The light fans itself over his cheekbones and the bridge of his nose, both of which are noticeably redder than usual, now that Kaeya takes a proper look. “Are you only here to get under my skin?” He takes a halting step forward. “There must be a better use of your… your t-time… hHEHh’iIISCHH’uhh!”

This time the sneeze snaps his head forward again. If Diluc was going to say something afterwards, he doesn’t--just sniffles, wiping his nose at the back of his wrist. The tips of his ears are red. 

“Woah, bless you! Nothing like that, no need to be so cynical,” Kaeya says. “But you seem like you’re in no state to be working.”

Diluc stares at him, uncomprehending. “Bartending is not a strenuous activity.”

“Yeah, but still, the best way to get over a cold is to get proper rest. Is there anyone here who could take your shift? I could do it, if you can get home on your own.”

Diluc blinks at him, now. He doesn’t look half as argumentative as before. If anything, he just looks... exhausted. Kaeya, despite himself, thinks that maybe he should do something about it. Diluc is--well, Diluc and Kaeya don’t exactly get along, but as much as Kaeya has fun riling him up with their normal arguments, he’s also almost certain that if someone doesn’t step in, Diluc is going overwork himself into ending up bedridden with a fever. Or passed out somewhere fighting hilichurls. Or both.

“I don’t need your assistance,” Diluc says. “You’ll mess something up.”

Kaeya frowns and downs the rest of his wine. “You have so little faith in me.” He lifts his wine glass so that Diluc can see that it’s empty. “Can I get a refill?”

Diluc steps closer to take the glass from him. Kaeya takes the chance to lean forward, across the counter, and press the back of his hand up to Diluc’s forehead.

Under normal circumstances, Diluc’s reflexes would have him grabbing Kaeya’s arm before it’d ever had the chance to make contact or stepping neatly out of Kaeya’s reach. Today, he does neither of those things. Instead, his eyes widen a little, but other than that, he stays suspiciously still. Diluc has always run warm--a side effect of being a pyro user, Kaeya had assumed, just like how Kaeya’s cryo vision makes him run cold--but the heat under Kaeya’s hand this time is intense and unmistakable.

“As I suspected,” Kaeya says, smiling around his worry. “You have a fever, Diluc. You should definitely be at home resting, not working some late-night shift here.”

Suddenly Diluc is grabbing his wrist, shoving it away. Kaeya’s doesn’t have a chance to comment on it before Diluc’s shoulders hunch, his eyebrows drawing together.

“hHIH! HH...ISCHhH’uhh!” He barely has time to turn away. “hHIIhh’GXht’!--nghh…” He blinks, after, his eyes watering, his hair a little disheveled from where it sits in his usual ponytail. His cheeks go even redder--Kaeya thinks he looks almost embarrassed.

“Bless you,” Kaeya tells him, a little softer. “I’m sure your schedule is packed, huh? You have your duties as the Darknight Hero, and then you work your long shifts at the tavern--it’s no wonder you would’ve caught something sooner or later. A caveat to playing hero, isn’t it? Everyone expects you to be there all the time. When do you even get a chance to rest?” 

Diluc sniffles, looking impatient. “What’s it to you?”

Kaeya huffs a sigh. “Forget the wine.” He counts out enough mora to cover his first drink and slides it across the counter. “I’ll walk you home. Don’t forget that I have Mondstadt’s best interests in mind, which means the sooner you kick this cold, the better. Right now,” He heads around the counter. “You should get some rest. You really look like you need it.”

Diluc sets down the glass near the sink. Kaeya doesn’t miss his thinly-veiled shiver. He seems to be diligently avoiding eye contact.

“I don’t remember asking for your input,” Diluc says. “If you must know, I will be fine in a few days.”

“Yeah, if you take it easy, I’m sure you will be. But I’m afraid you’ll get worse if you keep pushing yourself. It’s fine to take a few days off, you know.” Kaeya presses. When Diluc still doesn’t respond, he shakes his head, sighing, and asks again, without his usual blank-facade-of-a-smile. “Diluc, please.”

Diluc looks like he’s considering the offer. The fact that he's considering it at all--and seriously, at that--makes Kaeya think, with a pang of worry, that he really must be feeling bad. Finally, he shrugs.

“You always did like getting into other people’s business,” he says, coughing lightly into his wrist.

Kaeya perks up. “Can’t say you’re wrong about that,” he says. “Get some rest, okay? I don’t want to see you here for another few days.”

“A threat from the cavalry captain,” Diluc says, deadpan. “How unprofessional.” But Kaeya can already see the exhausted relief with which he carries himself as he steps out from behind the counter, his shoulders unstiffening as he sniffles, sifting through the storage closet for an umbrella, and Kaeya decides that for tonight, he'll count that as a win. 

---

Thank you for reading! (also, on the off-chance that anyone has Genshin requests, ask and you shall receive!)

Edited by monochrome

Cute cute cute!!  I like the way you write them, if you get bit by the writing bug again soon I think Diluc returning the favor could be nice too

9 hours ago, Akahana said:

if you get bit by the writing bug again soon I think Diluc returning the favor could be nice too

Agreed; I'm not familiar with the characters, but I really enjoyed the way you portray their relationship, and a sequel, if you'd be interested, would be lovely.

UGH I AM SUCH A SUCKER FOR THIS DYNAMIC. I love the Vitriolic Best Buds trope where the characters care but also grind on one another's nerves constantly LOL. And I love Genshin Impact, so this is a huge treat ❤️ Thank you so much for writing and sharing this!!! I look forward to more if the mood strikes you!

Omg I've been playing since launch and I love this game so much! I wish I had Diluc lol but I still like him a lot, especially his relationship with Kaeya. This was so well-written, I'm happy to see there's some Genshin content around here ❤️

(It kinda inspires me to write something with Zhongli lol I got him on his banner and I've been a little curious 👀)

Oh my gosh I adore this!! I never expected to see Genshin on here, I big time love Diluc and Kaeya! The sneezes are spelled soooo deliciously, and the sort of tense concern from Kaeya for his brother is the sweetest thing 💗

Also @Blooming some Zhongli would be incredible to see if you ever feel so inclined. Maybe something with the perfumes you collect, or the flowers of Liyue? 👀👀👀👀

I've also got to throw my own suggestion in the ring with Albedo, I pulled him recently, and the fact that he spends a lot of time in Dragonspire could easily lend itself to fic material? He's also super cute lmao

Oh man will this fic be the one that brings me back to fetfic....??

4 hours ago, Dye said:

Oh my gosh I adore this!! I never expected to see Genshin on here, I big time love Diluc and Kaeya! The sneezes are spelled soooo deliciously, and the sort of tense concern from Kaeya for his brother is the sweetest thing 💗

Also @Blooming some Zhongli would be incredible to see if you ever feel so inclined. Maybe something with the perfumes you collect, or the flowers of Liyue? 👀👀👀👀

I've also got to throw my own suggestion in the ring with Albedo, I pulled him recently, and the fact that he spends a lot of time in Dragonspire could easily lend itself to fic material? He's also super cute lmao

Oh man will this fic be the one that brings me back to fetfic....??

Mmm I like that idea for Zhongli, and some Albedo would me awesome too, the guys are just so pretty in this game 😌

@Akahana Thank you! ❤️ I'm currently still very happy to write Genshin, so your wish is my command! 

@MikiSan Haha, you crack me up, thanks! (Also I agree, I would love to see content for Zhongli 😳You have good taste!)

@PantheraPardus Thank you for reading (and taking the time to comment) even though you're not familiar with the source material! I'm super happy to hear that you still found it enjoyable ^^

@BlackScatter oH hi, a fellow Genshin fan!! Thank you so much for the kind words!! I agree, I really love when two characters care about each other but don't get along at all. It's so fun to watch them clash with each other ;w; ❤️ 

@Blooming Woah, you must be pretty far into the game! I like Diluc too (and I also don't have him... Diluc come home T.T). Congrats on getting Zhongli! I missed his banner, but I love his character a lot (same with Tartaglia). The Liyue arc + story quests totally made me fall for them. I would be very excited to read anything you write for Zhongli if you have the chance 👀🤩

@Dye Your comment made me so happy, thank you so much!! Congrats on pulling Albedo! He seems so precious (also, referring to his quest in Dragonspine, his expectations for his future make me so sad bc I genuinely think he's a good person QwQ) I'm happy to write him, do you have any preferences as to who else you want to see in the fic w him?

---

[A/N] more Diluc + Kaeya content! Ahh, this installment was... so hard to write. Action is my weakness. Also... I wrote angst? This fic went in a totally different direction than I envisioned. It's very different than the first part, and I am lowkey at wit's end here LOL.

I really feel the need to apologize because it's like, probably not what people expected asking for reversed roles, given that the tone is so different from the first part T.T but here it is. I hope it's okay, and I'm happy to write like, lighthearted sick Kaeya as well - this just didn't turn out that way for some reason.

---

Like always, it starts small--a headache he barely notices, the sort of fatigue he’s sure he can sleep off, a prickling sort of coldness that has him wishing he’d grabbed an extra jacket on the way out. That's what Kaeya thinks, at least, until he’s standing out in the courtyard after the knights have retired for the night. It’s freezing out, he realizes. Perhaps he should be concerned. He finds himself wondering if such a dip in temperature is reasonable for Mondstadt in the middle of spring, then finds himself wondering if it’s really just the weather that’s out of the ordinary.

Either way, he tells himself it’s nothing a good night’s sleep can’t fix.

When he wakes up the next morning, though, he’s disproportionally exhausted, and the headache hasn’t gotten any better. He’s cold, too, which is new. It’s not as if his room is colder than usual, and even with his cryo vision, he’s been enviably impervious to cold temperatures all his life, with few exceptions. 

He sits a little longer than usual at the kitchen table, makes himself tea, and cradles the mug close to him, shivering. It’s nothing worth canceling for, he’s sure. He’ll get their usual work done efficiently--work with the knights is always more tedious than it is difficult, but it’s not like he can't rush through it. Then he’ll unwind at the tavern tonight, drink enough to shake this annoying chill that’s settling deep in his bones, and then sleep it off.

The walk to headquarters feels longer and more taxing than usual. The route’s familiar enough that he doesn’t have to think about it, so he lets his mind wander instead. He’s really only half-paying attention to where he’s going.

The first sneeze, predictably, catches him off guard. He barely has time to duck into the crook of his elbow.

“hihH.. hiih’IESCHHuu!”

Kaeya stumbles, narrowly avoids bumping into someone, and opens his mouth to apologize. When he looks up, though, the apology dies in his throat.

“Oh,” he says, sniffling. “It’s you. Morning, Diluc.”

Diluc is staring at him, looking a little stunned. “...Good morning,” he says finally.

Kaeya steps neatly to the side and turns to keep walking. Unfortunately, he only gets a few steps away when his breath is hitching again, and he’s lifting his forearm to his face as his eyes squeeze shut.

“hh!... hiiHH’ESCHH’uu!”

From behind him, Diluc says, “Are you getting sick?”

It sounds less like a question than an accusation. Kaeya sighs, his shoulders stilling. Of course, leave it to Diluc to see right through him. He turns around. “Aw, Diluc,” he says. The grin comes easily, as it always does. “Are you worried about me?”

It doesn't have the desired effect of ending the conversation immediately. Diluc just stares back at him, looking… annoyed. And something else.

“That’s not an answer.”

“Would it make a difference if I was?”

“Of course.” As if it’s a fact. “The Knights won’t want you there if you’re sick, I’m sure.”

“Oh?” Kaeya smirks at him, crossing his arms in hopes of suppressing a not-so-subtle shiver. He should really get moving--at least walking warms him up a little, but standing out here in the cold is only serving to exacerbate his headache. “Since when have you been concerned about what goes on with the Knights?”

Diluc’s jaw clenches. “I’m not.”

“Okay, then if it’s not them,” Kaeya says, “since when have you been concerned about me?”

He’s being deliberately difficult, he knows. Diluc’s silence, in response, is expected. Kaeya laughs through the tightness in his chest. Of course, after all this time, Kaeya’s left caring for someone who’s already cut him out of his life--tale as old as time. He should really get better at picking his attachments. “Sorry, I’ll stop asking questions we both know the answer to.”

Diluc just frowns at him. He’s still watching with Kaeya with the same intensity, so when Kaeya feels his breath catch, he thinks it’s only logical for him to turn away, if only so that Diluc doesn’t have to watch his expression twist as--

“hIIH’ESCHh’uu! hhH!... hHEHh’DSCHhH’u! Ngh…

The sneezes are forceful enough that when he straightens, still sniffling, he feels the exhaustion settle. It takes everything in him not to let his shoulders slump.

“It would be an inconvenience to everyone involved if you overextended yourself fighting,” Diluc says finally.

Kaeya shrugs a shoulder, “I know my limits.”

“If you wanted to take the day off, I could easily pick up where you left off.”

“Please, there’s no need.”

Diluc scoffs, crossing his arms. “Considering what the knights get done usually, I doubt I would notice myself putting in any extra work at all.”

That startles a genuine laugh out of him. “So eager to steal the show? I assure you, I’m-- f-fine… hh!” Talk about bad timing. The sharp gasp leaves him too preoccupied to see Diluc’s expression. “hhH.. hIIh’ESSChh’u!” He shivers, almost reflexively. He must not be making a good case for himself, standing here letting Diluc see him with what must be a burgeoning head cold. Diluc’s offer is tempting, too--if he sticks around for too long, he might actually be persuaded into accepting, and that wouldn’t be good for either of them. “I’ve worked through worse.”

“I realize. That’s not the point.”

“Your concern is misplaced. If you’ll excuse me, I have to get moving. Jean will have my head if I get there late. I’m sure you’ll understand.” Kaeya lifts a hand to wave and starts off again. Diluc doesn’t call for him this time, and he doesn’t look back.

--x--

“You never know when to give up, do you?” Kaeya says.

He sidesteps as one of the treasure hoarders shoots a beam of electricity at him. He can hear crackle as it bounces off the stone wall behind him. “This would go much faster if you’d just tell me where you’ve hidden the documents.” One of the treasure hoarders makes a mistake of stepping in range--Kaeya swings his sword, quick and cutting, and knocks him to the ground. Another one of the treasure hoarders shoves him backwards. This time Kaeya has to fight to keep the grimace off his face. Treasure hoarders are barely a threat; their strength comes in the fact that they travel together, and it’s distracting to counter attacks from all sides. But on their own they’re weak; usually, an attack like this wouldn’t make him lose his balance.

Today, he’s unsteady on his feet and he stumbles a little. Another treasure hoarder takes the opening to slam into his ribs with a shovel. His back hits the stone wall behind him, hard enough to bruise. 

“Fat chance. I’d watch my tongue if I were you,” one of the treasure hoarders says. “It’s six against one, and you're not at your best.”

Kaeya grits his teeth, coughing, and sends a steam of cryo back before the same treasure hoarder can shove him back again. “Nice trick. I wonder when you’re going to learn that shovels aren’t great as weapons.”

The use of magic takes more out of him than it should, and he blinks past sudden dizziness. He and Amber split up twenty minutes ago, which isn’t uncommon for them. It’s not as if there’s anything in the temple they can’t face alone, and they cover more ground this way. The rest of the knights are off chasing off a new influx of hilichurls just on the outskirts of town. Though, this temple goes deeper than he’d expected; he’s starting to regret making the call not to bring any of them with him. 

One of the treasure hoarders lunges for him. Kaeya parries with his sword, steps quickly to the right so he can block another hit. He barely notices when one of the bow wielders from the side hits him in the shoulder with a cryo-infused shot. The ice spreads immediately, cold enough to burn, and he grits his teeth, suppressing a shiver as he catches his breath.

He’s off today. This fight should already be over. His head is swimming, and the coldness is making him need to--

“heEh’ISSHhh’uu! hhD’DSCHhh-uu!” He covers by reflex, which is a waste of motion that leaves him scrambling to reposition himself to evade another hit. The magic thrumming under his fingertips is a welcome relief. It’s about time. He darts forward with his sword, summoning enough cryo magic to send icicles careening around his waist--the opening they leave him is small, but it’s enough--and brings his sword down hard.

Thankfully, most of it is muscle memory, even though he’s tired, and with the ice around him dealing damage to anyone who gets too close, the rest of the fight is easy. When the last treasure hoarder crumples to the ground, Kaeya slumps backwards to lean against the wall, still shaky, and shuts his eyes for a second. He reminds himself to breathe. He’s no idea how close he is to done with clearing the temple. He’s been at it for hours now, and his head is aching, and there are no windows nearby to let him know how dark it’s gotten outside.

His cryo is getting less reliable, too--a consequence of his exhaustion, he thinks. He’s not sure how much more he can push himself.

For a moment, he contemplates finding Amber. He thinks he can backtrack far enough to find the hallway where they’d split paths. But then again, he’d been the one who had insisted he could handle this on his own.

A slip of paper catches his attention. One of the treasure hoarders must have dropped it while they were fighting. Kaeya picks it up, dusting it off a little.

He recognizes, faintly, what must be the layout of the temple. If he’s not mistaken, there’s a room marked that’s just a few hallways down from here. He perks up. It saves him time looking. He pockets the map. This will be fast, he tells himself. Just a couple more fights, and then they’ll have all that they came for.

He’s shivering again, even though he isn’t sweating, which is probably a bad sign. He lifts an arm, buries his head into the crook of his arm as his breath hitches again.

“hHh’DSCHh’hh! snf… Hhh… hiHh’ESCCh’uu!”

The sound echoes faintly off of the stone walls. He’s freezing. The cryo shot has worn off by now, but still, he can’t shake the chill that’s worked his way into his muscles. Maybe this is more than just a cold after all. 

It doesn’t matter, though. It will all be worth it soon. He can handle another room of treasure hoarders. 

--x--

When he gets to the room marked on the map, though, he finds--to his dismay--that it’s not full of treasure hoarders.

Instead, at the center of the room are three cryo abyss mages, convening for some sort of ritual. Kaeya curses to himself. He needs to find Amber to break their shields--his cryo magic is going to have no effect on them, and physical attacks are always painstakingly slow at breaking elemental shields. Three abyss mages would be a challenge on a good day, and today isn’t a good day.

He’s already turning to make his escape when one of them teleports next to him. He can feel the chill of the ice shield for its proximity to him. The other two follow suit, blinking into existence just an arm’s length away. He can hear their laughter, even if their language is foreign to him.

Shit. “Amber?” He calls. But she isn’t nearby--she must not be, otherwise he would’ve heard her.

He lifts his sword. Their mages’s shields are hard, as always. His arms protest with the effort. Now that they’ve seen him, it’s not going to be easy for him to make an escape, so he thinks he’ll have to see it through.

Except for the fact that his head’s pounding, and he’s shivering hard. Having the cryo shields so close to him isn’t helping, and his whole body feels sluggish and slow. Exhaustion weighs heavy on him as he backs away, narrowly avoiding another cryo hit. Amber’s baron bunny would be really helpful right now, but Amber isn’t here.

If he can stall long enough to get them to teleport somewhere else, long enough to let him get away--

One of the mages sends a flash of magic towards him. This time, stepping out of the way gets him hit by a spell from one of the other mages. It knocks him backwards off his feet. He lands hard, and though he has a hand out, it barely lessens the impact. When he opens his eyes, his vision is swimming. He sees another one raise its staff to cast, and swallows against the sharp pang of panic. Maybe if they’re merciful, they’ll leave him here and go back to their ritual, or maybe--

The next thing he registers is startling warmth. His first thought is that maybe Amber’s found him after all, but when he looks up, he sees a familiar phoenix, its wings searing, slicing through the ice shields so cleanly that it looks like they’re made up of air. Beside it is a man with fiery red hair, looking with every inch of him pissed off.

He almost laughs with the relief.

“Diluc?”

Kaeya’s already grabbing his sword, but before he can get fully to his feet, Diluc says, “Don’t even think about getting up.”

Kaeya finds he’s too tired to protest, so he sits back down. Diluc handles the abyss mages swiftly. They are never a threat once their shields are broken anyway. Kaeya watches him, a little blearily, from the ground.

“Your timing is very impressive,” he says, when Diluc is done. Diluc sheathes his claymore, stopping to stand just out of reach.

“Your choices are not,” Diluc retorts. “I thought you said you knew your limits.”

“I do.” 

“If you did, you wouldn’t have gotten cornered.”

“Ah,” Kaeya says, smiling softly. “Just because I know my limits doesn't mean I honor them. Someone would’ve found me eventually.” His breath hitches again, and he ducks his head, cupping a hand over his mouth--

“hiIH’ESCHHh’uu!” 

It’s very vocal and scrapes embarrassingly at his throat. He coughs, lowering his hand. His voice is starting to sound rough.

“I can handle it from here,” he says, wincing as he shifts. “You don’t have to stay.”

Diluc sucks in a breath. When Kaeya looks up, he’s surprised to find that Diluc’s hands are clenched at his sides. “Have you ever considered that this is selfish?” Diluc says. “You throw yourself into danger without any regard for the consequences. Have you ever thought about what kind of trouble that poses for others?”

Kaeya shrugs. “Funny. I don’t remember asking for your help. It wouldn’t have been your burden if you’d stayed out of it. The Knights would’ve found me.”

“There is no one else around,” Diluc says. 

Kaeya waves a hand dismissively. “Amber is here somewhere.”

“She doesn’t know you’re in danger. I’m sure she expects that you’re fine, given that I suspect that that’s what you told her.” He seems to take Kaeya’s silence as confirmation. “Are you dishonest to yourself? Or do you only lie to others?”

“What’s it to you, anyway?” Kaeya says, narrowing his eye. Now that he’s not in the middle of a fight, his exhaustion is starting to catch up with him. He doesn’t want to be having this conversation with Diluc right now. “If worse came to worst, the Knights would be perfectly fine without me.” He smiles, resting his chin on his hand. “You were, weren’t you?”

He expects Diluc to say something equally bitter in response, but Diluc just stares at him, expressionless except for how his eyes widen just a fraction. If Kaeya didn’t know better, he’d think that Diluc almost looks…

...hurt. Kaeya startles at it. It feels like an expression he’s not supposed to see. It makes him want to take it back--reassure Diluc that it hadn’t been what he’d meant to say--except what about he’d just said had been inaccurate, really? He opens his mouth to speak, but then his body beats him to it--

“hiiH’GKkt!-…” He can feel his eyes watering. Normally he’s not uneasy about sneezing, but the fact that Diluc’s watching right now makes him a little self-conscious--they’re in the middle of argument right now, for fuck’s sake. He presses the back of his hand to his face, his shoulders trembling. “hhHh… hIIH’NGKkt! hhH… hHh!... hh... hiIH’ESCChh’uu!”

Diluc sighs, the tension slipping from his shoulders as he crosses his arms. When he speaks, his voice is quiet. “Are you injured?”

Kaeya blinks. It’s not the question he expects.

“Not really,” he answers honestly. There’s a bruise on his ribs where the treasure hoarder had hit him earlier, and his arm is bleeding a little from the spell. Diluc sounds so uncharacteristically concerned that Kaeya musters a smile. “Thanks to you. I’ve been saved by Mondstadt’s own Darknight Hero--heh, I suppose I should be honored.”

Diluc rolls his eyes. “It’s a stupid title.” He heads over to the edge of the room, looking through the crates that have been pushed up against the wall. “Are these documents important to you?”

“They’re what we came for,” Kaeya says. “Just toss them to me, I’ll handle them. I’m going to find outrider Amber. You don’t have to stay.” He moves to stand, keeping a hand on the wall for balance, and shuts his eyes against a wave of dizziness. Diluc, who’s crossed the room while he’s been speaking, catches his arm to steady him.

“You'll head home straight after?” Diluc says as he lets go, though there’s an edge to his voice that implies that Kaeya doesn’t have a choice.

“Well, technically I’ll report to headquarters first to drop off the documents. But after that, yes.”

Diluc nods once. “Go home and get some rest. You need it.” He hands off the documents, standing straighter, and heads toward the door.

“Wait, Diluc,” Kaeya says hastily. He folds the documents and slips them into his pocket. “Thanks. For finding me.”

Diluc stares back at him for a moment. Then he sighs, his eyebrows unfurrowing, and shakes his head. “You can thank me by making sure it doesn’t happen again,” he says, and continues walking.

---

Thank you for reading!! As always, if there's you want to read, feel free to ask! Also if you want to chat about Genshin (or anything else), my messages are open~!

Edited by monochrome
fixing typos

I loooved this! You write them so well, their dynamic feels very natural 😄 Don't worry for this part being different, it was amazing still, and it's very in-character for Kaeya to go by himself while sick lol

mmmm I'm a major simp for diluc...but theres just something...pleasing seeing the one that keeps bullying my bby....having to suffer :wub:

Oh my goodness gracious I didn't expect to see such goodness here once again so quickly 🥺💗 ohhhh Kaeya, my first Genshin love...!!! He's such a loser, doing all this by himself, waahhh help him, Diluc...

The fight scene was so well written!! I easily knew what was happening and how it was playing out, which is usually hard for me ;;; fuckin abyss mages smh

As for Albedo, my first thought was either Traveller or Sucrose? Though being the head alchemist, it's really open for anyone from the Knights of Favonius bahaha

He's such a darling, his quests broke my heartttt I just want to hold him

I want to try doing something with him and Traveller either during Dragonspire or after it, but the more the merrier 💗💗

Edited by Dye
Needed to clarify some things because I'm an idiot and write without thinking first

WHAT, don't apologize!!! The angst and the action are GREAT! I love the way you wrote it. The upped stakes made it extra awesome when Diluc swooped in haha~ Echoing what others have said: thank you so much for such a quick update, we're spoiled haha :D 

Oh my!! Genshin!! 

I've been fantasizing about Kaeya ever since I first casted his ultimate! Did you know that in the japanese version, he keeps commenting the cast with "don't catch a cold"?

• 3 weeks later...

@Blooming ! Writing fanfic is my weakness haha... I always worry about how to characterize people in a way that's close to canon T.T Thank you so much for the reassurance ❤️ 

@MikiSan I... love Kaeya, ngl. It's really funny to me that you hate him so much :'D I'm honored you still read it despite disliking him, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it nonetheless!

@Dye  You are so sweet akfjkaffakljs oh my god, thank you for the lovely comment! 😭 Kaeya was probably my first Genshin love too (I mained him for the longest time), I'm so fond for him. Have you played the lantern rite quests? There's this one where you have to go see him and I was like... disproportionately happy to see his name again haha. I'm glad the action wasn't too confusing to follow!

As for the Albedo fic, it's finally finished. I ended up writing him with Aether (...Lumine, I'm so sorry, I'll write you someday LOL). I'm so excited hearing all the Genshin stuff you have planned! whenever you find the time/motivation I'm really looking forward to it ❤️ 

@BlackScatter Thank you so much!! I've been unhappy with my writing for the longest time, so that means a lot to me. I seriously feel like I'm the one being spoiled here because people take time to leave nice comments 😭💖

@Grumb Woah, really? That's so cute!! I had no idea... it fits so well, too. (Friendship ended with "Don't get frostbite"... my new best friend is "Don't catch a cold" ahaha). If he had that line in English I think I would actually combust ;w;

@Akahana Thank you! I'm glad you like the angst! ❤️ As much as I love to watch them argue, I can only hope they'll reconcile someday in the game ;; but if it ever happens it's probably going to take awhile haha

---

[A/N] I was looking forward to writing this and then just didn't have time for like three whole weeks, ugh. 😞 My workload is kicking my ass, and life is... not that great, honestly. Regardless, here is some Albedo + Aether! Can be read as romantic or platonic (I like both readings of them so this is just sort of ambiguous...). Sucrose shows up briefly at the start. 

Disclaimer, if you have ever used a warming bottle you will realize that I messed up in two places. They're forged, not crafted, and then I got the usage wrong too. Please ignore the inaccuracies! 

---

“Traveler! I have been looking for you, actually.” Sucrose says, when Aether runs into her on his way to see Katherine. 

“Sucrose,” Aether says. She’s always been a little nervous talking to people, though Aether thinks she’s gotten more comfortable with him now that he’s been in Mondstadt for a few months, but today she’s addressing him with a different sort of urgency. “Is something wrong?”

“Master Albedo left a note for you,” Sucrose says, by way of explanation, and hands him a folded slip of paper. Unfolding it reveals two lines of text, written in Albedo’s familiar slanting scrawl:

Traveler,

I hope this letter reaches you in time. I know I asked you to accompany me for some elemental testing, but I will have to postpone our session today (Tuesday, 12/17). My apologies for the last minute change. I will reschedule a date when everything is resolved.

- Albedo

“He’s busy?” Aether says, half disbelieving. Sucrose nods at him. “Do you know why?” Albedo strikes him as the sort of person who plans things with unerring precision. During their occasional experiments, he’s always prepared, regardless of if Aether shows up thirty minutes early or gets caught up fending off enemies and shows up an hour late. Either way, this isn’t exactly like him.

“I asked him. He didn’t tell me anything, but, ah, I wish he’d trust me more.” she bites her lip, shifting her weight on her feet. “I went up there this morning, actually. He was… quiet. He just handed me the letter and told me whatever he was working on was, um, not suited to company.”

Not suited to company? Aether thinks about it--it sounds like Albedo’s either up to something dangerous, or he’s hiding something. But Albedo trusts Sucrose more than he trusts almost anyone, and though he’s quiet, he can hold a surprisingly good conversation even when he’s preoccupied with his experiments. Aether doesn’t get the sense that he doesn’t enjoy other people’s company. 

“You’re worried about him,” Aether guesses. Sucrose shrugs curtly in a way that might as well have been a nod.

“Don’t worry,” he says. “I can head up to Dragonspine and check on him. I’ll let you know how he’s doing when I get back, okay?”

Sucrose’s shoulders unstiffen, and she finally meets his eyes. “That’s--if you could, it would be great,” she says. “It’s just… I trust him, but… he worries me, sometimes.”

“He’s lucky to have you looking out for him,” Aether says, smiling. He raises the letter with one hand. “Thanks for getting this for me. I should be back before evening.” 

She looks both relieved and tearily grateful, at that--he’s happy to do her a favor, but Aether has to admit to himself he’s not just doing this for her. It’s not as if he doesn’t trust Albedo to handle himself, but then again, he’s sure the alchemist would not be this evasive for no reason at all. So truthfully, he’s a little worried, too.

—x—

The trek up to Dragonspine is no longer than usual. The first few trips up had been brutal, the cold like a shock, but since then, Aether’s gotten used to it quickly enough. 

Ice filters through the wind. There’s a warming bottle tucked into the pocket of his jacket, already starting to lose its heat; he’s made enough trips up the mountain to know that it will go out a few minutes after he reaches Albedo’s campsite, if he walks quickly. He can always craft another one there.

He’s almost apprehensive when he reaches the campsite. The torches outside are lit, and Albedo is seated at one of the tables as usual, backlit by the soft orange light. He’s working on something with his back turned. It would be almost normal, except for the fact that his posture practically telegraphs exhaustion. He has his chin propped up on one hand as he transfers something from one vial to another with his other, but the way he’s leaned over makes his posture seem more out of necessity than comfort.

“Albedo?” Aether says.

And Albedo--

--Albedo startles, which is new--though Aether figures that in most of their meetings, Albedo’s known he’d be coming.

“Traveler,” Albedo says softly, looking up. “You came.” He clears his throat, hesitates. “Did you receive my letter? If not, I meant to tell you that I had to cancel our session today.” It’s quick and to the point--Albedo always is--but for an explanation, it’s not very telling.

“Has something come up?” Aether says. He takes a few steps forward.

Albedo regards him warily. “Please don’t come any closer,” he says at last. He sighs, massaging his temples with one hand. “I-- forgive me, Aether, but you shouldn’t be here.” The tension from before hasn’t left his shoulders. 

“I shouldn’t?” Aether repeats, frowning.  “If the experiment you’ve set up is so dangerous, it doesn’t seem like a good idea to handle it alone.”

“It’s not the experiment that’s dangerous,” Albedo says. He blinks, his expression going slack. “It’s-- you’ll… hh! You’ll have to excuse me for moment-- hH-TSChhh!” Aether watches, in minute surprise, as Albedo sniffles, shielding his face with one hand as his eyelashes flutter shut. “hiIh’DZChH!

“Bless you,” Aether says, a little stunned. “Are you…”

But Albedo simply holds up a hand with two fingers raised.

"hH’nGKt! Hh… hHh-DZShh!

The exhale that follows is soft, maybe even weary, and Albedo swipes at his eyes with his wrist, shivering a little.

“You’re ill,“ Aether realizes.

Albedo nods, resigned. “A little.”

Aether’s mind is whirring. How long has Albedo been ill? Is it really severe enough to warrant asking Sucrose--and now Aether--to keep their distance? More importantly, why isn’t he back in Mondstadt, instead of out here in Dragonspine? Even the fires can only do so much to fend from subzero temperatures, and Aether is sure that spending so much time in the camp in the snow is not exactly helping with his recovery.

Instead, he asks, “Why didn’t you say something? Sucrose is worried about you.”

“You spoke with Sucrose?” Albedo repeats, blinking groggily at him. He looks exhausted, really, even though his movements are as graceful as always. “If that’s the case, I assume you read the letter I asked her to give you.”

“I did, but you didn’t say anything about why you had to reschedule,” Aether says. “I thought that something had happened.”

For a moment, Albedo just blinks at him, caught off guard. “I apologize for the misunderstanding. This is nothing worth your concern,” he insists. “I will be fine in a few days. I, ah, only asked for you and Sucrose to stay away because I don’t want either of you to catch this. You don’t hail from Teyvat, so I am not sure if you would be susceptible to illness here, but…” he trails off, blinking quickly.

“hH’nGshh!” He’s quick to set down a vial he’s been working with. “Sorry,” whispered and desperate, and then - “hH - hIhH’DZsh!” 

He sniffles afterwards, shifts so that his head is leaning heavily on his hand. “So, while I regret that you’ve already made the trip here, for your own interest, you’d best be going.” His voice wavers on the last sentence--out of illness or out of something else, Aether isn’t sure. 

“Hey,” Aether says, reaching out to set a hand on Albedo’s arm. The contact makes Albedo shiver. “I’m not worried about catching this.”

But Albedo only frowns harder. “Without sufficient testing, I do not believe it is possible for you to assume that you are impervious to--”

“Impervious or not, it’s not a big deal, right? Besides, I promise I’ll be careful.”

Albedo stares back at him, slack jawed, his eyebrows furrowed. “Now that you know that I’m in no real danger, have you not fulfilled your objective for coming here? If you stay any longer, it will only put you--” he twists away to cough into a cupped hand. Hunched over his desk and his vials, he looks completely spent. “-- at risk. The last thing I’d want is for you to catch this.”

“I don’t mind,” Aether insists. “I thought... you might like the company?”

When Albedo doesn’t respond, Aether backtracks. “I mean, I guess that was presumptuous of me,” he says. Is he imagining Albedo’s hesitation? He’s always felt that they were similar, in a way, but maybe he’s gone too far in assuming their similarities would extend to this. “If you don’t want me here, I can go.”

Albedo is silent for a long time. Finally, he says, very softly, “I think it would be best for both of us if you left.”

He isn’t looking at Aether. It’s as if he’s very resolutely avoiding eye-contact. Aether swallows back the pang of disappointment, tells himself this is to be expected. “That’s fine,” he says. “I understand. I’ll let Sucrose know you’re okay.”

Albedo looks conflicted. “I should apologize for making you come all this way. I didn’t expect you to -- to… hhH - hHh’DZCHhh!” He twists away, barely suppressing another shiver, and cups his hand over his face. When he speaks, his voice is muffled. “You should probably stand even f-further…  hHh… away…  hh - hH’IIZSHhh!” He lowers his hand slowly, blinking dazedly. “I was under the impression that the letter would be enough to deter you...”

“From checking on you?”

Albedo nods, sighing. “I’ll admit, I hadn’t assumed you would be worried.” Before Aether can interject -- why wouldn’t he be worried? -- the alchemist is rising from his seat, heading for the crafting table on the other side of the camp. “You need to craft another warming bottle for the return trip, correct? I can help out. Have you brought enough flaming flower stamens?” He shuts his eyes suddenly, leaning heavily against the back wall, a hand clenched around the shelves to steady himself.

Aether reaches out to steady him. Albedo’s coat is as thin as always, so Aether can feel the heat bleeding through the layers. “You have a fever.”

Dazed, Albedo opens his eyes. “Ah, I suppose it’s likely that I do,” he says. “That would explain the general feeling of dizziness…” he trails off. “I tried taking a potion for it this morning. I am not sure if it had the desired effect, as I still feel…” He shivers, cupping a hand over his face. “hhH’dZcHh! Forgive me,” He sniffles. “I haven’t found any potions for that part.

Aether reaches out to press the back of his hand against Albedo’s forehead.

Albedo’s eyes flutter shut. The breath he takes next is uncharacteristically shaky. “I told you not to stand so close.” But the way he leans into Aether’s touch, his eyebrows unfurrowing, is remarkably telling. 

“How are you feeling?” Aether says softly, dropping his hand to his side at last, though he doesn’t move away. “You said the potion didn’t do much.”

For a moment, Albedo considers this. “Tired,” he finally concedes, sniffling. “Colder than usual. I’d forgotten how much being ill detracts from my focus.” He turns aside to cough again, harshly, into his fist. “It’s been awhile since I’ve caught something. I usually manage to avoid whatever’s going around, but a few townspeople were soliciting treatment for a cold last week. I suppose I might’ve picked it up from there.”

Aether raises an eyebrow. “I don’t suppose you kept any of that treatment for yourself?”

Albedo smiles guiltily. “Unfortunately, the formula I came up with involved a fair amount of violetgrass, and I ran out of it making the last batch. I haven’t had a chance to procure any more since then.”

Aether hums, busying himself with arranging flaming flower stamens and starsilver fragments on the crafting table. “You could have asked me.”

“Hm?”

“You know I travel to Liyue often,” he says. “If you needed something, you could’ve just asked.”

Albedo’s eyebrows furrow. “The walk to... Hh! to Dragonspine is… is... hh - hHh’Gshh! hIHH’ISSHh! - long enough as is. I ask you to join me for my experiments more often than… snf… than I should,” he insists. “It would be unfair for me to rely on you any more than I already do.”

“Albedo,” Aether says. “Whenever you need me, just tell me. I don’t mind, I promise.”

Across from him, Albedo goes quiet. Aether, unbothered by the silence, returns his focus to crafting. He’s gotten much better at alchemy since he’d first picked it up, even if he’s not nearly as good at managing resources as Sucrose or Albedo are.

“Sometimes, you are incredibly selfless,” Albedo says softly, breaking the silence, though it’s unclear if that’s a compliment or an insult. When Aether looks up, Albedo isn’t looking his way--at some point, he’s taken a seat on one of the crates. Now he sits there shivering faintly, his eyes shut. 

“Hey,” Aether says, “if that’s the case, can I ask you for a favor?”

Albedo opens his eyes, a little groggily. “A favor?”

“Come with me back to Mondstadt?” Aether crosses the distance between them to press the warming bottle into Albedo’s hands. It glows faintly, and Albedo closes his fingers around it, inching closer to the warmth. “I think the warming bottle should be enough for both of us.”

Albedo looks up at him, surprised. “I fail to see how that would be considered a favor.”

“You could keep me company,” Aether says, smiling at him. “It gets lonely traveling sometimes.” Truthfully, he wants to make sure Albedo gets back before nightfall. Given that Albedo is unwell, his house seems vastly preferable to Dragonspine--if not for his actual bed, then at least for Mondstadt’s pleasant, snowless weather. But it isn’t a lie, either, to say that he enjoys Albedo’s company.

“...I suppose that could be arranged,” Albedo says. 

---

Thank you for reading! Please tell me if there's anything you want to read that even remotely has to do with Genshin (as in, I have no idea what to write when left to my own devices)!

Edited by monochrome
fixing typos (again)

Omg Albedo!! This is so cute, I'm really starting to love his character and gosh, he's so soft-spoken and graceful ❤️ The way he interacts with Aether also feels very natural, like something that could happen in the actual game. The way he just kind of cups his hand over his face when he's going to sneeze is so adorable;;; Aaahh this was too cute, I was thinking of writing something with Albedo but I'm out of inspiration lol I feel like you wrote him very well!

Oh,,, oh my goodness... A-Albeeeddooo 🥺🥺🥺🥺 what a perfect sweetheart, I adore him... He's so careful and worried about Aether and Sucroseeee

The date this is set is actually my birthday how incredible 💜

I have been doing the lantern rite quests!! I was SO excited when he appeared in that quest aaeee Kaaeeeyyaaaa 

(I actually just pulled Xiao on the day before his banner ran out omg... He's growing on me so fast) 

Now if you don't mind I'm just gonna read this again and cry a little from how perfect Albedo is 😭

cdndngng bby albedo~~~ and no its not that i hate keaya i just find him dangerous XD and he bullies my bby husband diluc so its just my favoritism and bias showing honestly 

On 2/18/2021 at 11:05 AM, Dye said:

(I actually just pulled Xiao on the day before his banner ran out omg... He's growing on me so fast) 

Omg I love Xiao so much, congratulations on getting him! I've had a few story ideas for him but I have to make up my mind 😅

• 1 month later...

@Blooming Thank you so much!! I hope inspiration comes back for you for Albedo and/or Xiao fics in the future, I would love to read them! ❤️ Your Zhongli fic is so good, anything you decide to write would be a blessing 😭 Also, I agree, everything about Albedo's voice and mannerisms is so soft-spoken and courteous. ;w; It means a lot to me that you think I wrote him well! I think quiet characters are always hard for me to write for some reason (even though I'm also quiet irl).

@Dye Congrats on getting Xiao!! He seems so fun to play, I hope you enjoy using him! Seeing all the Mondstadt characters in the Windblume event is giving me life tbh, I'm so fond of them and I've been looking forward to the story quests so much 🥺 Also, that's such a coincidence that I randomly picked your birthday! That's around the time I started playing Genshin (maybe a week off)!

@MikiSan Haha, I'm surprised at how well they've been getting along with this recent event! Kaeya probably is dangerous, to be honest :'D Though to be fair, Diluc has hurt him too. As for your favoritism towards Diluc, I can't say I don't relate 😂

[A/N]: Prompt fill for tumblr! ft. Kaeya + concerned Diluc, you can tell I really love their dynamic... I hope people aren't too tired of reading them. ^^; I know that one day I should write a proper resolution for them, but...

Diluc, despite himself, knows Kaeya’s order.

It’s not that he’s paid attention--just that Kaeya’s presence in the tavern isn’t exactly easy to miss, whether he’s here drinking with the knights or striking up a conversation with the regulars. Diluc knows his order, but he also never makes it in advance; it’s always been easier not to acknowledge that he’s become something of a constant in Diluc’s life again--predictable, and consistent to the point that it’s almost cruel.

Kaeya’s here alone tonight, seated at the counter, strangely quiet. Some of the knights are drinking at one of the tables in the back, talking loudly enough to suggest they’re well past drunk. Kaeya doesn’t join them. Diluc busies himself with polishing the glasses they leave behind, finds himself pleasantly undistracted, and relishes the silence for the first hour and a half.

It’s only when the last of the Knights stands up to leave that he starts to think something might be wrong.

Kaeya still hasn’t ordered, and he hasn’t said so much as a goodbye to the knights, which implies that he’s here for some other reason--a loaded conversation with Diluc, maybe, or a proposition for the Darknight Hero’s involvement in some new ploy, neither of which Diluc wants to be discussing right now.

“That seat is for patrons only,” he says.

Kaeya’s eyes snap to his. He smirks. “Oh? Protective about the seating arrangements, are we?”

“If you’re not here to drink,” Diluc says, “I’m sure you can find a better place to spend the night.”

“Fine, fine,” Kaeya says lightly. “One Death After Noon, please.”

He’s speaking more quietly than usual. There’s a dullness to his eyes, too, when Diluc looks back at him, blinking.

It’s… frustrating, to say the least. Kaeya is never entirely straightforward--he’s never as honest as he had been when they were both children, but he must be here for a reason, and he isn’t doing either of them any favors by not speaking up about it.

“What do you want from me?”

“Oh? What makes you think I want something from you?”

“You didn’t order anything until I asked,” Diluc says.

Kaeya smiles cryptically, resting his chin on one hand. “Maybe I just came here to unwind.”

“Nonsense. You haven’t spoken to anyone all night.”

“So you’ve been watching me?”

Diluc scoffs. “You are usually the most talkative customer here. I would have to have been exceptionally unobservant to not have noticed your silence.”

It’s not a secret that Kaeya isn’t here to see him. He’s here because it’s one of two taverns in Mondstadt, and because moreover, it’s a more popular spot for the Knights than the Cat’s Tail is, for days when he’s here more for conversation than for the drinks. Even when he’s here for strategic reasons, though--on nights when he’s enticing whoever he’s with to drink just enough to loosen their tongue--he always orders something for himself.

Tonight is an anomaly. But Kaeya doesn’t offer an explanation for it, and Diluc has never been one to press, so he occupies himself with procuring a bottle of white wine from the upper shelf.

Behind him, Kaeya coughs, but the sound is a little muffled. Diluc turns, instinctively, half expecting that Kaeya’s trying to direct his attention to something.

But Kaeya merely raises an eyebrow.  “Does my presence bother you so much?”

“No,” Diluc says. “If you are waiting for someone to show up...”

“I’m not.”

Diluc goes back to pretending that a drink he can make in his sleep is taking up all of his attention. Behind him, Kaeya sniffles--quietly enough that it almost goes unnoticed, except for the fact that the tavern’s empty except for the two of them, so late at night on a weekday.

At first, Diluc thinks--hopes--that he’s misheard. But then Kaeya sniffles again, loud enough to be confirmation, and then the silence suspends itself for a soft intake of breath.

Diluc thinks that if he grips the wine glass in his hands any tighter, it’s going to fracture. Is Kaeya… crying?

What could possibly warrant a reaction like this? Why here, of all places--so openly in front of Diluc, who he’s not supposed to trust? But before he can think more about it, there’s another sharp, desperate breath behind him, followed by--

“hihH’DXxt!” A pause, and then another gasp. Diluc whirls around, surprised, just in time to see Kaeya’s eyes flutter shut, as he pitches forward with none of his usual grace, roughly enough to jostle the cups on the countertop.

hIHISCHHh-uu!”

It sounds rough, and... miserable, really, like it’s somehow both desperately necessary and barely relieving.

This is certainly… unexpected.

“...Bless you,” Diluc says hesitantly, if only to break the silence. Kaeya looks up at him, blinking distractedly. 

“Thanks. You’ll have to excuse me,” he says--quieter than usual again, except now Diluc realizes it’s probably more out of necessity than anything--Kaeya’s voice is nearly shot, now that he’s paying attention.

Diluc turns back around--mercifully, perhaps--and tries to pay attention to the precise ratio of dandelion wine to white wine in the glass he’s holding.

It’s not long before Kaeya’s breath is hitching again.

“Hh… - hIiH! hHh - hH’ESHhh’uu!”

It’s so desperate and vocal. Kaeya lets out an exhausted sigh, reaching across the table to grab a handful of napkins. If he’s been doing this all day, it’s no wonder that he’s lost his voice.

“Are you getting sick?” Diluc says, though he suspects he knows the answer.

Kaeya laughs. “Why? Are you worried?”

“Only deciding whether I’ll have to wipe down the tables when you leave,” Diluc answers.

“Don’t worry. I assure you, you won’t catch this.”

“You are not doing a good job of convincing me of that.”

Kaeya hums, slumping further in his seat. He’s moved so that his chin’s resting on his hand again, but now it looks like less of a casual gesture. He just looks tired.

“I’ll be careful, I promise.”

It’s barely even a retort. Diluc stares at the half-finished drink in front of him. Then he pushes the cup aside so that it rests on the other side of the countertop, leaving the space in front of him clear. “You shouldn’t be drinking like this.”

Kaeya watches him warily, suppressing a shiver. “Thought the wine would warm me up.”

“You’re cold,” Diluc realizes.

By the way Kaeya’s eyebrows furrow in response, Diluc can tell he hadn’t meant to admit it so plainly. “I didn’t say that.”

Diluc ignores him again in favor of swiping a mug from the cupboards. Kaeya sniffles, sinking lower in his seat to rest his head on his forearms. Has he been so tired all afternoon? Diluc hadn’t expected that he’d do something like this--just sit here quietly all afternoon, waiting for someone to notice. Diluc can count the number of times Kaeya’s fallen ill on two hands, with room to spare. Back when they’d been close he’d sought Diluc’s presence whenever he fell ill, but it’s been years since then, and Kaeya is exceptionally popular--Diluc is sure anyone in Mondstadt would be happy to keep him company. This isn’t the same.  

Kaeya’s eyes are lightly shut when Diluc sets the mug in front of him finally, still steaming. Diluc considers tapping him on the shoulder--or checking his forehead, or something--and then decides against it. “Apple cider,” he says, instead. “Don’t burn yourself, it’s hot.”

Kaeya opens his eyes, sits up. Diluc pushes the mug towards him, and his fingers curl around the sides. He shivers again, lifts the mug with both hands, and takes a tentative sip.

“Adelinde says it’s good for your throat,” Diluc says, unsure of what else to add. “Or… it’s what she always tells me, in the winter.”

“How thoughtful of you,” Kaeya murmurs. He coughs into a fist, his shoulders trembling with the effort. “It’s good. Was I asleep long?

“The tavern closes in twenty.”

“Is that so?” He sniffles, his eyes watering as he sets the mug down hurriedly, ducking into his elbow. “Hh-- hIIH’ESCHhuu! hH!… snf, sorry to keep you, then.”

He says it without a trace of sarcasm, which feels… unfitting, if anything. Whatever Kaeya does, he does it unapologetically. 

Diluc regards him for a moment. “It’s my shift. I’d be here anyway.”

“You’d be closing up if not for me,” Kaeya says, which isn’t untrue. “I’ve been here long enough.”

The why goes unaddressed. Diluc isn’t sure why Kaeya’s here--Kaeya is unpredictable, but he’s also deliberate. Diluc doesn’t believe he’d be here for no reason--the tavern is warm enough, and crowded enough in the evenings to be pleasantly distracting, but that’s about where the benefits end. Kaeya--where’s he’s hunched over the counter, exhausted and shivering--looks like he’d be more comfortable anywhere else.

“Are the Knights aware that they’re assigning you too much work?”

Kaeya averts his glance. “It’s nothing like that.”

“When is the last time you’ve slept?”

This time, he smiles, raising an eyebrow. “Concerned?”

It’s an accusation that Diluc would normally dispute. Now, he settles for crossing his arms. “You’re exhausted.”

“I don’t see why that’s relevant... hh -- hH-ESHhh-uu! We’ve had more domains than ever to cover, is all. Nothing out of the ordinary, but you’ll understand why I couldn’t... ” Kaeya stifles a yawn which he half-hides, embarrassed, behind one hand. “I couldn’t afford to take time off even if I wanted to…” His eyelashes flutter shut, his shoulders tensing up in trepidation as he gasps, jerking forward. “Hh! hiIIH... hiih... hh--IIISHHh’uu! hiihh’iIhTSSHHew!”

Sheepishly, Kaeya lifts the drink to his face, carefully enough that Diluc almost misses the wince when he swallows. Almost. His throat must be sore sore; it explains why he hasn’t been talking much.

“If Jean had a good look at you, I’m sure she’d send you home,” Diluc says. The look on Kaeya’s face, in response to that, is telling enough. “You’ve been avoiding her, then.”

“Jean has enough on her plate already.”

“So you have no reservations about lying to the Acting Grandmaster.”

Kaeya shrugs. “I didn’t lie to her. I simply neglected to inform her that I was unwell.” He trails off, blinking dazedly. “Hhih… hIIH’EZCHHuu! Snf… HIHH’IZCHh-uu!” Sevens above. Even his sneezes sound wrung-out, as if they’re using up the last reserves of the voice he’s about to lose.

Kaeya sighs, reaching for the bar napkins. “On second thought...” He swallows again, eyebrows drawing tighter. “Maybe wiping down the tables would be a good idea after all.”

“I was planning to, anyway,” Diluc says. Kaeya has always been dramatic. But if this is all some ridiculous ploy to get him to worry, it’s working. “It would be bad for business if you managed to infect all of my patrons.” Kaeya huffs a quiet laugh, which immediately turns into a particularly harsh coughing fit.

“Is it helping?” Diluc asks.

“What?” Kaeya’s voice breaks on the syllable, and Diluc falters.

“The drink. With your sore throat.”

“It’s working wonders,” Kaeya says, almost convincingly nonchalant, if not for the quietness with which it’s delivered. “I’m sure that by tomorrow, I’ll be good as new.”

He can’t seriously believe that. “Don’t tell me you actually intend on going to work.”

Kaeya tilts his head in question. “Why wouldn’t I? I’m feeling much better now.”

“You’re not.”

The smile on his face falters, gives way for something a little more honest. “You’re right,” Kaeya admits, after a pause. “I’m not. But it’s fine, you know. It’s just a cold. You don’t have to--” He stops again to cough, his shoulders shaking. “--be so worried.”

“Archons,” Diluc snaps. “I know. Stop talking.”

Kaeya opens his mouth--probably to protest, but Diluc cuts him off before he can speak.

“You’re losing your voice,” he points out, by way of explanation. “If you keep pushing yourself, you’ll postpone your recovery for days. How do you think Jean would like it if you ended up bedridden?”

There’s no response to that.

“If it is customary for a captain to work through illness, it’s no wonder that the Knights are always so terribly inefficient.”

Kaeya’s breath hitches, and he ducks voicelessly into his elbow, his eyelids fluttering shut. There’s a beat, and then--

“hHH’DSCHhh!”

...there’s that, too. Diluc crosses his arms. “Not to mention, if you are contagious...”

“I’m very careful,” Kaeya whispers, which is an irritating workaround to Diluc’s rule. But it doesn’t seem like it hurts his voice--what’s left of it, at least--so Diluc lets it slide. “You underestimate my abilities. It’s just--”

“A cold. I’m aware.” He turns aside, moving to pour the half-made Death After Noon into the sink. Kaeya, if anything, is a good liar. Even if Diluc somehow gets him to promise he won’t push himself too hard, Diluc doubts he’ll take it seriously. 

It was easier, he thinks, when he’d been away for those three years, too distant and too caught up in Fatui affairs to care about Kaeya’s destructively selfish tendencies. Now they’re distant, less than acquaintances, but he sees Kaeya everywhere, and on days like this it feels almost cruel. It’s like they have some sort of mutual agreement to play strangers. Like caring too much would be overstepping.

“Just… don’t get worse,” he says resignedly. For once, Kaeya is silent behind him. When Diluc turns around to take his cup from him, Kaeya’s expression is unreadable.

“I’ll try my best,” Kaeya says, uncharacteristically sincere. Diluc really wants to believe him.

Edited by monochrome

Wow! this is amazing, I love their dynamic (as BlackScatter said).  I'm also not familiar with the characters but this was lovely. :)

Kaeyaaaaaa! (。ノω\。)

You're always writing Kaeluc so well!! They fit so perfectly, I want to cry!! I almost lost it when he came up with this poem in the current festival and now you give me another reason to dig up a whole to hide in. Thank you soooo much for writing this! (灬º‿º灬)♡