• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• starpollen

• rockbell

• Privatedancer

• EveP

Maybe he would get up and start towards the men's room just to escape the allergen and then run into Beth coming out....and have a cute argument about where to go from here while in the middle of a good sneezing fit....mmmm

16 minutes ago, Freshair said:

Maybe he would get up and start towards the men's room just to escape the allergen and then run into Beth coming out....and have a cute argument about where to go from here while in the middle of a good sneezing fit....mmmm

^^^

lovely image *hearteyes*Ā 

5 hours ago, Freshair said:

Yes! I love that idea, but I definitely think it would be in character for him to try and stay at the table as long as he can manage before this happens.

I hope he catches a cold a couple dates down the line as well šŸ˜‚

Keeping my fingers crossed that there'll be an update soonĀ šŸ˜…šŸ¤ž

I just found this and I absolutely love it. I agree he should stay. Beth would pick up on what's happening and insist on taking care of him

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooooh, I did pick the right time to come back to the forum, didn't I :wub:

I love this. It's delicious and fluffy and exciting. It's a lemon meringue of words. THANK YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

Your descriptions of this guy make him sound so yummy. And such a gentleman. *laugh* Now I have to go read everything else you've written in the last ten years. :)

On 7/31/2021 at 7:55 AM, sfyrist said:

Your descriptions of this guy make him sound so yummy. And such a gentleman. *laugh* Now I have to go read everything else you've written in the last ten years. :)

@sfyristĀ Actually some of my best stuff is a lot older than 10 years šŸ˜‚ but if you like this story youā€™ll probably like the Tommy and Hayley series. Ā I think I have a post somewhere that has those story linksĀ in both plot line chronological order and published chronological order. Ā Because Iā€™m weird like that. šŸ¤Ŗ

I am working on the next chapter of this, just having to work around some other unexpected life things that popped up. Ā Will hopefully update soon!ā€¦ šŸ˜Š

Edited by starpollen

Here we are, patient readers.Ā :hypocrite:Ā  I hope that you enjoy!Ā  There's only 1 more chapter after this of The Date (Cy's perspective)Ā and then we move on...

---Ā  Ā  Ā ---Ā  Ā  Ā ---

The Date - Part 5

Beth

I let myself wallow against the stall door for only about 20 seconds before giving myself a good shake.Ā  Come on, Beth.Ā  Pull it together.Ā  Youā€™ve read all those cheesy romance novels and watched dozens of Hallmark Christmas specialsā€¦ isnā€™t it time you embraced the even remote possibility of being in one?

I finished up quickly and exited the stall, feeling only a little awkward when the attendant handed me a soft, fluffy towel after washing my hands at the marble gold-veined sink.Ā  This was so different from any date experience I had ever had.Ā  Feeling very much a fish out of water, I took a deep breath before heading back into the main dining room.Ā 

Looking across the sea of pristine white tables, I saw my date still sitting where Iā€™d left him.Ā  My head cocked to the side in confusion when I saw that his broad shoulders were twisted to the side in his chair in a very uncomfortable-looking position. His torso was facing me where I stood at the entrance to the hallway leading to the restrooms, so I could see that his long fingers were pressing the napkin over his nose and mouth, eyes pinched shut, brows furrowed in concentrated discomfort.Ā Ā 

Iā€™d seen that expression before.Ā 

My mouth immediately went dry, my breath catching in my chest.Ā  Leaning lightly against the polished wood wall, I watched his eyes fluttering frantically, tawny head swinging left and right as if looking desperately for an escape.Ā  I noticed there was a new older couple sitting at the table behind him, and wondered if the lady sitting closest to Cy was some kind of crazy cat hoarder.Ā 

Cyā€™s other hand came up to join the first, using the cloth napkin to scrub furiously at his nose.Ā  Then the napkin moved to dab at each eye, and I could see he was breathing cautiously through his mouth.Ā  Glancing over his shoulder at the couple, and then at the entrance to the restaurant, I could feel his indecision.Ā  After seeing his epic allergy attack in my car - and his equally epic embarrassment about it - I could only imagine how he might feel about succumbing in the middle of this uber fancy dining room.Ā  One that he, apparently, frequented often.

I was also torn.Ā  Part of me was rooted to the spot, wanting to watch events unfold and enjoy them from my hidden vantage point.Ā  Butā€¦ a bigger part of me wanted to do what I did.Ā 

Which was to swoop in and save him.Ā 

Walking quickly - but discreetly - back to our table, I stood close to him and leaned down, as if to kiss him on the cheek.Ā  Instead, I whispered in his ear, ā€œRestroom?Ā  Or leave?ā€Ā  Up close, I could smell the intense cloud of sticky sweet floral perfume that was saturating the air in a five foot radius from the older woman nearby.Ā  It was even making me feel choked.Ā 

As for Cy, his crystal blue eyes were watering fiercely, and he was barely breathing to avoid taking in any more of the noxious fumes. Only slightly lowering the napkin as he struggled to answer revealed that his nose was flushed nearly crimson, swelling alarmingly with nostrils pulsing and twitching like a rabbitā€™s.Ā  He managed to croak out, ā€œ... l-leaveā€¦ā€ amidst hitching breaths, fumbling to get his wallet from his inside jacket pocket and press it into my hand.Ā 

Startled, I blinked at him for only a second before realizing that he wasnā€™t capable of handling our bill and - not wanting him to have to stand another second of this torture - I slipped a hand under his elbow and pulled him to his feet.Ā  Pushing him firmly in the direction of the front door, I murmured, ā€œGo.Ā  Iā€™ll be out soon.ā€

His entire face flushed with embarrassment, but he ducked his head and moved swiftly away, broad shoulders flinching sharply in what I assumed was a viciously stifled sneeze.Ā Ā 

I took my seat, and calmly waved down the next passing waiter.Ā  When the check arrived, my eyes nearly bugged out of my head.Ā  $323.61 !Ā Ā 

Looking into his wallet, I noticed three different credit cards - all metal, Platinum Member - and nearly five hundred in cash.Ā  Not wanting to have to forge his signature, I pulled out four hundreds and placed them in the small leather binder.Ā  Suspecting what kind of clientele the waiters at this establishment were used to, I didnā€™t wait around for the change.Ā 

Instead, I went in search of Cy.

The restaurant occupied the entire top floor of the office building, with its lobby having direct entrance from the elevator.Ā  I didnā€™t see Cy nearby, so I stepped in and pressed the button for the ground floor.Ā  I held my purse in both hands, watching the numbers fall for the long, slow ride down.Ā 

Stepping outside into the evening air, I felt the slight breeze sifting through the hair on my shoulder.Ā  I was lucky that it was a mild evening: the perfect balance of temperature. Glancing around, I didnā€™t see Cy at first.Ā  I was reaching into my purse for my phone when I heard a muffled sound from around the corner.

Stepping quietly around the well-manicured shrubbery, I winced in sympathy.Ā 

Cy was seated on a metal bench, suit jacket draped across his lap, elbows on his knees, face buried in the restaurant napkin, sneezing his head off.Ā 

ā€œhtā€™mSHH!-Hā€™ETmshh!-ahSHH!-kā€™SHHu!-hahhhSHHHt!-ehh?SHHha!...ā€ His head bobbed forward with each one, eyes squeezed closed, then back again for a quick breath before sneezing again.

I sat gingerly next to him, placing a hand lightly on his back.Ā  His big body flinched, one eye cracking open to peer at me sideways, and then he was off again, letting fly with another long, ragged series of sneezes. Ā ā€œHih-ihchh!-Isshh!-ISSHHu-huh-TSHhh!-hihhā€™SHHā€™uu--ā€

It was very different from the allergy attack heā€™d had in my car: these barely allowed him to draw breath, much less hold a conversation.Ā  Reaching into my purse, instead of pulling out my phoneĀ I pulled out a clean handkerchief.Ā  After our previous encounterĀ I had decided to come prepared.Ā  Just in case.Ā 

When there seemed to be another small break, I gently pulled at his wrist, encouraging him to switch out the now nearly useless napkin.Ā  His cheeks were flushed - with effort or embarrassment (or maybe both) - and he turned away to dab at his streaming eyes and give a couple of coughs before the sneezes had him again.Ā  ā€œHHmSHHt-het-shmmff! heH-ShhMMpt!ā€Ā 

ā€œDonā€™t stifle,ā€ I murmured softly, rubbing soothing circles on his back.Ā  ā€œI donā€™t mind.ā€

His shoulders visibly relaxed, and he surrendered to another series of eight or nine wet ones before being able to take a good breath, panting,Ā sucking desperate gulps of air between liquid sniffles.Ā  His hair had fallen forward, the tawny strands brushing his knuckles where they held the hanky clamped to his poor nose.Ā Ā 

I reached out, unthinking, and carded my fingers through those strands, brushing them back from his eyes.Ā  His hair was soft, and I found myself drawing my nails lightly over his scalp and down his neck, enjoying the feel of it through my fingers.Ā 

Cyā€™s response was a full-bodied shiver.Ā  And then he kept sneezing.

I sat next to him, stroking my hand across his wide back, feeling the hard muscles there shift and roll through his movements. The stars were sparse here in the city, the light pollution masking all but the brightest ones. Telling myself silently to stop counting his sneezes, I tilted my head back, trying to see if I recognized any constellations with so many points of light missing.Ā Ā 

After a while, the once-energetic fit trailed off into a widely spaced series of almost-relaxed sounding ā€œHh-tSSHhhā€™uā€-s and prolonged, wet blows.Ā Ā 

ā€œGod, Beth,ā€ he croaked when he was able, and I had to clamp down hard to prevent my own full-bodied shiver that husky voice incited.Ā  ā€œIā€™b so sorry about this.ā€Ā Ā 

ā€œThis is absolutely fine,ā€ I replied, low and soothing, resting my hand between his shoulder blades and rubbing in small circles.Ā  ā€œIā€™m having a wonderful time.ā€

He barked out a surprised laugh, which turned into another tired sneeze. ā€œIā€™b dot sure what to say to that,ā€ he murmured when he recovered, still chuckling, and finally lowering the balled-up handkerchief in one hand.Ā  He pressed the back of his other hand to each eye, swiping at the moisture there.Ā 

ā€œIā€™ve had an exceptional dinner, really delicious,ā€ I explained softly, still looking at the stars.Ā  ā€œWith captivating conversation, and now Iā€™m enjoying sitting with my-ā€ I chanced a shy grin at him from the corner of my eye. ā€œ-handsome date, enjoying a beautiful evening breeze. The temperature is perfect. All in all, I would label this a resounding success.ā€

Cy laughed again, touching the white fabric to the swollen, tender tip of his much-abused nose with a watery sniffle and another cough.Ā  Ducking his head, he shifted uncomfortably.Ā  ā€œI agree, with the obvious exception ofā€¦ā€ his free hand made a vague gesture, which I interpreted to mean the allergy attack.Ā Ā 

Feeling uncharacteristically bold - a sensation that had washed over me upstairs when Iā€™d decided to swoop in and take charge of the situation - I reached for his free hand.Ā Ā 

ā€œAs I said,ā€ I whispered to the night.Ā  ā€œI donā€™t mind.ā€

Lacing his long fingers through mine, he pressed our palms together and gave my hand a soft squeeze.

We sat there for a long time, not speaking, listening to the breeze ruffling the leaves of the trees and the voices of patrons leaving the restaurant floating on the evening air.Ā  Every couple of minutes he would sniffle, or sneeze, or cough, the handkerchief going up and down from his thigh in one hand.Ā 

The other hand stayed in mine.Ā 

When more minutes passed between sniffles, and the sneezes had all but disappeared, he leaned toward me until our shoulders were touching.Ā  I leaned my head to rest on his shoulder, still gazing at the stars.Ā 

ā€œBeth,ā€ he rasped, voice hoarse and husky with more than just congestion. ā€œCad Iā€¦ cad I see you agaid?ā€

ā€œIā€™d like that,ā€ I nodded slightly, giving his hand another squeeze, feeling his thumb rubbing along the side of mine.Ā  ā€œDo you work tomorrow?ā€Ā  It was Saturday, but ambitious and driven corporate types didnā€™t always keep 9 to 5 hours.Ā 

Slowly - almost regretfully - he pulled his hand from mine and turned away to give a hard, damp blow, clearing some of the congestion before turning back.Ā  ā€œI have a couple of calls I need to make, snff, but those can be early in the morning.Ā  kgm.Ā  Did you, uh, have something specific in mind?ā€

ā€œYeah,ā€ I turned to him, our eyes locking in the glow from the street lamp.Ā  His pupils were wide and dark, nearly obscuring the bright blue of the iris. In the shadows, I could still tell that they were puffy and irritated, but the way he was looking at me was intense. I gave another shy smile. ā€œI think Iā€™ve got an idea.ā€

Ā 

Edited by starpollen

I truly love your gift of storytelling. Truly captivating, I love it so much. I eagerly and patiently await your updates! šŸ˜Š

Finally I'm able to tell you how much I love your writing. I think I've read everything you've posted in the forum (except for the adult board, if you've posted stories there, since I've only just been accepted as a member). Allergies isn't really my thing and I still love this story. I can't wait to read the next part, and the next, and the next.Ā šŸ’œ

You have no idea how happy I am this is back! šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„šŸ˜„

You guyyzzz :wubsmiley:Ā  I'm really loving your feedback.Ā  Ā As a writer, it definitely helps to get nice feedback to continue the motivation to keep going with a story.Ā  Ā I wasn't sure I was going to be able to continue with this couple - they weren't as dear to me as Tommy and Hayley - but they're starting to grown on me. I've got some ideas for them now.Ā  So, thank you so much! ā¤ļø

Here's the last part of The Date.Ā  Warnings for some f-bombs: Cy's kind of upset.Ā  :whistle:Ā Hope you enjoy!Ā 

---Ā  Ā  Ā ---Ā  Ā  Ā ---

The Date - Part 6

Cy

I donā€™t know how long I sat there, waiting for Beth to come back, barely containing the growing reaction by the skin of my teeth.Ā  It might have been a few seconds or long minutes.Ā  All I know is that it was ab-so-lute fucking torture.

Iā€™m going to have to apologize a lot for my language here.Ā  But there is no other way to explain how horrendous it was.

I took the smallest sips of breath, afraid to set off the chain of events that I knew by long history would soon unfold. It got to the point where I was light-headed, my vision snowing due to lack of oxygen.Ā  But I was hell-bent on not giving in before I could get outside, to a restroom, away, anywhere else, but - for fuckā€™s sake, please god - somewhere private.Ā  Iā€™d had enough public displays of humiliation to last me a lifetime.

And Bethā€¦

I cringed as I realized that I probably wouldnā€™t be able to hide this from her,Ā as badly as I wanted to.Ā  But the second she returned she would see the state I was in.Ā  There was no avoiding it.Ā  The stone that was dragging down the pit of my stomach was causing a little bit of nausea that I knew was due to my acute embarrassment.Ā 

Actually, no.Ā Ā EmbarrassmentĀ wasnā€™t a strong enough word, but I didnā€™t know if there was a word beyond humiliation.Ā  Shame? Indignity? Disgrace?Ā  None of those seemed to be enough.Ā  I turned my head left and right, seeking some kind of salvation. It was bad enough Beth would have to see me horrifically disgusting and pathetic - again - but I would be damned if the entire restaurant bore witness to the inevitablyĀ messyĀ display.Ā 

Then, suddenly, she was there, leaning down with her hand on my shoulder and speaking softly into my ear.Ā Ā 

ā€œRestroom?Ā  Or leave?ā€Ā 

Everything swirling like a hurricane inside me immediately went quiet.Ā  God, this woman...Ā  I was equal parts grateful and relievedā€¦ and - that word, again - beyond humiliated.Ā  Why couldnā€™t my fucking body just fucking behave for once??...Ā 

I managed to choke out, ā€œ... l-leaveā€¦ā€ amidst hitching breaths, fumbling to get my wallet from my inside jacket pocket and press it into her hand.Ā  It was another level of hell that I knew I wasnā€™t capable of waiting here and handling our bill, mortified (yes, thereā€™s the word I needed) that she was going to have to do it for me.Ā  But I was less than ten seconds from exploding and I needed to get away. Now.Ā 

As if she understood my thoughts without words, she slipped a hand under my elbow and pulled me to my feet.Ā  Pushing meĀ firmly in the direction of the front door, she murmured, ā€œGo. Iā€™ll be out soon.ā€

Thank god. I couldnā€™t hold back any longer.Ā 

My entire face burning with embarrassment, I ducked my head and moved swiftly away.Ā Ā Flinching sharply with a viciously stifled sneeze, my finger and thumb cruelly pinchedĀ my writhing nostrils shut.Ā ā€œHā€™Mpt-Hā€™mptsch-Hā€™H-MSsshcht-H-mmmfffshh!ā€

I struggled to keep my eyes open as they kept coming, steering myself out of the dining room and through the lobby into the blissfully empty elevator.Ā 

As soon as the doors closed, I leaned back against the cool metal wall and clutched the cloth napkin to my face for dear life as I sneezed and sneezed and sneezed, gasping for breath when I got the chance.Ā 

ā€œHih-ihchh!-ahSHH!-Hā€™ETmshh!-htā€™mSHH!-Isshh!----hHHH----hā€™hā€™hhhh--ISSHHu-kā€™SHHu!-hihhā€™SHHā€™uu-...ā€

God, I hated this.Ā 

Stumbling out of the elevator, I careened into the night air and blinked desperately through watering eyes for a place to collapse.Ā  Thankfully, just around the corner of the building in a semi-secluded little rock garden was a bench with my name on it. All my mind could focus on was the horrendous itch, the incessant sneezes that I couldnā€™t have stopped if I tried.Ā I struggled to get my jacket off, hating the pull of the fabric along my shoulders as they kept flinching, and collapsed with my elbows on my knees as I continued to suffer unending,Ā frustratingly itchy, wetĀ explosions.Ā 

ā€œhuh-TSHhh!-kā€™SHHu!-hihhā€™SHHā€™uu- -hahhhSHHHt!-ehh?SHHha!...ā€Ā 

I donā€™t know how long I sat there, face pressed firmly into the restaurant napkin, which - sadly - also smelled strongly of bleach and therefore was exacerbating the situation.Ā  But I had nothing else on me.Ā  Normally Iā€™d have a packet of travel tissues or a hanky in my pocket but - honest to god - I didnā€™t think I was going to need it tonight.Ā  I've had dinner here a couple dozen times since taking my new job (always work-related, wine-ing and dining new clients, never on a date) and nothing remotely like this had ever happened.Ā 

Just when my stomach muscles were starting to burn fromĀ the repetitive spasms, I felt someone slip in to sit beside me, a gentle hand resting on my back.Ā 

I couldnā€™t help the reaction: my body flinched, one eye cracking open to peer sideways and see that it was indeed Beth who had found me.Ā  That was all I had time for before I was off again, letting fly with another long, ragged, embarrassing series of sneezes. Ā ā€œHih-ihchh!-Isshh!-ISSHHu-huh-TSHhh!-hihhā€™SHHā€™uu--ā€

God, between the incessant itch and the mortifying humiliation (Iā€™d decided to combine words to adequately describe this most horrific experience) I just wanted the ground to open up and swallow me right there.Ā  This had to be - without a doubt - the absolute worst date Iā€™d ever attempted.Ā 

And, considering some of my epic fuck-ups in high school?Ā  That was saying something.Ā 

But then, when a small break between fits happened, BethĀ gently pulled at my wrist, pressing something soft and worn and surprisingly without any smell at all - and, god did that feel good - into my hand.Ā  I could feel how hot my cheeks were - flushed with effort or embarrassment (or maybe both) - and I gratefully turned away to dab at my streaming eyes with this cool scrap of heaven. I had a moment to breathe and giveĀ a couple of coughs before the sneezes had me again.Ā  ā€œHHmSHHt-het-shmmff! heH-ShhMMpt!ā€Ā  Her close proximity made me try to hold back, but it hurt, and I knew Iā€™d end up with a vicious headache if I continued.Ā 

ā€œDonā€™t stifle,ā€ she murmured softly, rubbing soothing circles on my backĀ as if she knew how badly I was feeling - and not just physically.Ā  ā€œI donā€™t mind.ā€

Her quiet words and that gentle hand had my shoulders slumping with relief. I surrendered to another series of eight or nine wet ones before being able to take a good breath, panting and sucking desperate gulps of air between liquid sniffles.Ā  TheĀ soft white cloth was helping immensely; the lack of added irritation from detergent was a godsend. My hair had fallen forward, brushing my knuckles where they held the soft, incredibly soothing hanky clamped to my burning, twitching, aching nose.Ā Ā 

My eyes were streaming, my throat hurt, and all I could think of was, This is it.Ā Iā€™ve blown it.Ā  She wonā€™t want anything to do with me after tonight, and I donā€™t blame her.Ā Ā That stone in the pit of my stomach became the size of a houseĀ 

But thenā€¦ she reached out, carding her slim fingers through my unruly hair, brushing itĀ back from my eyes.Ā  I held my breath for the briefest of moments, feeling her nails skim lightly over my scalp and down my neck.Ā 

I couldnā€™t stop the full-bodied shiver.Ā  Godā€¦ how did she know what to do?Ā  How did she know how to make me feel like all of this was any kind of okay?Ā 

I kept sneezing.Ā  I couldnā€™t stop.

She sat with me, not saying a word, her hand running soothing strokes from my hairlineĀ to my lower back.Ā  It was the most peaceful, comfortable silence Iā€™d ever experienced with someone.Ā  Aside from, you know, my entire body violently rejecting every atom of that fucking perfume.Ā 

After a while, theĀ once-energetic fit trailed off into a widely spaced series of almost-relaxedĀ ā€œHh-tSSHhhā€™uā€-s and prolonged, wet blows as I tried to soothe the last of thatĀ godforsaken itch.Ā Ā ā€œGod, Beth,ā€ I croaked when I was able, cringing to hear how hoarse and congested I was. Could I be any more disgusting?... ā€œIā€™b so sorry about this.ā€Ā Ā 

ā€œThis is absolutely fine,ā€ she replied in that same rich, soothing voice that calmed everything so effortlessly.Ā  Her hand wasĀ between my shoulder blades, rubbing in small circles, everything about her exuding peaceful acceptance. It made every nerve ending I had go still, and my breath come easy. ā€œIā€™m having a wonderful time.ā€

I couldnā€™t help it: I barked out a surprised laugh, which turned into another tired sneeze. ā€œIā€™b dot sure what to say to that,ā€ I murmured when I recovered, still chuckling in embarrassment, and finally lowering the balled-up handkerchief in one hand.Ā  I pressed the back of my other hand to each eye, swiping at the moisture there. God, I was a mess.

ā€œIā€™ve had an exceptional dinner, really delicious,ā€ she explained softly, still looking at the stars with a serene, unbothered air.Ā  ā€œWith captivating conversation, and now Iā€™m enjoying sitting with my-ā€ she chanced a shy grin at me from the corner of her gorgeous brownĀ eyes. ā€œ-handsome dateā€¦ā€ And it was all I could do not to scoff and pull away.Ā  I could only imagine what a wreck I was. ā€œ... enjoying a beautiful evening breeze. The temperature is perfect. All in all, I would label this a resounding success.ā€

I couldnā€™t help another surprised laugh.Ā I touched the soft white fabric to the swollen, tender tip of my much-abused nose with a watery sniffle and another cough.Ā The handkerchief sheā€™d given me put all the ones I owned to shame, and I wondered how sheā€™d managed to make it like this.Ā  It hadnā€™t irritated my sensitive noseĀ at all.Ā  Normally, the added irritation of rough tissues or my equally uncomfortable hankies caused a cyclical reaction that kept me sneezing for hours upon hours, instead of helping it come to a quicker end. Fleetingly, I wondered if she had any other spare ones like itā€¦Ā 

Pushing that thought away, I ducked my head, shifting uncomfortably.Ā  ā€œI agree, with the obvious exception ofā€¦ā€ my free hand made a vague gesture, by which I made reference to my entirely ridiculous, disgustingly snotty self.Ā 

Incredibly, all she did was reach for my hand.Ā  ā€œAs I said,ā€ she whispered.Ā  ā€œI donā€™t mind.ā€

It was as natural as breathing. Lacing my long fingers through hers, I pressed our palms together and gave her hand a soft squeeze.

There was an ache in my chest that I didnā€™t know what to do with.

We sat there for a long time, not speaking, listening to the breeze ruffling the leaves of the trees and the voices of patrons leaving the restaurant floating on the evening air.Ā  Every couple of minutes I would have to sniffle, or sneeze, or cough.Ā  She didnā€™t care.Ā 

Her hand kept holding mine.Ā 

This woman... I felt something like a balloon inflatingĀ in my chest, something simple and amazing that would hover and float and be everything I never knew I always wanted.

When more minutes passed between sniffles, and the sneezes had all but disappeared, I leaned toward her until our shoulders were touching, swallowing a sigh of exhausted relief.Ā  My abs were aching, my head was pounding, and I felt like I could sleep for a week.Ā  But my entire body experienced a jolt of electricity when she leaned her head to rest on my shoulder, still gazing at the stars.Ā 

ā€œBeth,ā€ I rasped, voice hoarse and husky with more than just congestion. ā€œCad Iā€¦ cad I see you agaid?ā€

Please, please donā€™t let me have ruined this.

ā€œIā€™d like that,ā€ she nodded slightly, giving my hand another squeeze that was echoed in my chest.Ā  I rubbed my thumb along hers, feeling the silky softness of her skin.Ā  ā€œDo you work tomorrow?ā€ she asked in that same sultry whiskey voice.Ā Ā 

I was about to answer, but felt a heaviness settle in my sinuses that I knew I needed to deal with first, before Niagara Falls cascaded down my upper lip.

With a heavy pang, I pulled my hand from hers and turned away to give a hard, damp blow, clearing some of the congestion before turning back.Ā  ā€œI have a couple of calls I need to make, snff, but those can be early in the morning.Ā  kgm.Ā  Did you, uh, have something specific in mind?ā€

ā€œYeah,ā€ she turned to me, our eyes locking in the glow from the street lamp.Ā  Her eyes were wide and dark, deep depths of something I was desperate to dive into and lose myself.Ā  I bit the inside of my cheek, telling myself silently slow down, slow down... you really need to fucking SLOW DOWN... But I couldnā€™t help the skip of a beat my heart gave when her lips curved into another shy smile, and she said, ā€œI think Iā€™ve got an idea.ā€

I couldnā€™t wait to find out what it was.

Edited by starpollen

Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!! Ā I really needed something to look forward to today and will greatly enjoy reading this over and over!