Sneeze Fetish Forum

Most overrated movie?

Bless you, Hi

In your opinion which are some of the most overrated movies? 

IMO:

Harry Potter movies but only the ones that include Voldemort (yes, I know that's all of them)

Parasite

Moonlight

Pulp Fiction

The Dark Knight

Remember overrated means the gap in your opinion of the film vs general acclaim. The Dark Knight is a good movie, but no way in hell is it the 4th best movie ever (according to IMDb) and there are people who are shook that someone would consider the best joker as anyone besides Ledger or that TDK isn't the best superhero movie (it's Spiderman 2 btw)

What you think? 🎥🤮

In my personal opinion, every superhero movie ever made. 🙈 

Also, I really didn't think Don't Look Up was all it was hyped up to be. 

History of Violence and There Will Be Blood.

Two average and frankly banal movies that critics raved about. Most of the Oscar winners for Best Picture in the last 20 years are average and banal. 

Crash won Best Picture; it would probably be on my list of 20 worst films I’ve ever watched.

Edited by Chiguy13
5 hours ago, Chiguy13 said:

History of Violence and There Will Be Blood.

Two average and frankly banal movies that critics raved about. Most of the Oscar winners for Best Picture in the last 20 years are average and banal. 

Crash won Best Picture; it would probably be on my list of 20 worst films I’ve ever watched.

I respectfully disagree with your take on History of Violence and There Will Be Blood, but I wholeheartedly side with you on Crash. Terrible movie!

For me, some of the first movies that come to my head when I think overrated:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin's style has grown tiresome in recent years, not to mention always condescending when discussing his liberal politics to those on the left)

The following films I think are good, but not quite as great as many say: Hacksaw Ridge, Belfast, Hamilton.

Oh good question. 

The Big Lebowski. It's such a stoner film with absolutely no direction but it has memorable, lasting quotes so it's seen as good. 

27 minutes ago, sneezeguy468 said:

Oh good question. 

The Big Lebowski. It's such a stoner film with absolutely no direction but it has memorable, lasting quotes so it's seen as good. 

:lol: I LOVED that movie, but I was quite drunk the first time I saw it, so maybe that helped. :lol: 

On 1/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, sneezeguy468 said:

Oh good question. 

Agree.

Awful film. All the plot of a fortune cookie. 

On 1/4/2022 at 10:49 AM, NocturneOwlBoy said:

I respectfully disagree with your take on History of Violence and There Will Be Blood, but I wholeheartedly side with you on Crash. Terrible movie!

For me, some of the first movies that come to my head when I think overrated:

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin's style has grown tiresome in recent years, not to mention always condescending when discussing his liberal politics to those on the left)

The following films I think are good, but not quite as great as many say: Hacksaw Ridge, Belfast, Hamilton.

Anything Sorkin is just contrived drivel.

His Facebook movie is wrong in every factual detail, from beginning to end. For example, Zuckerberg was dating his current wife Priscilla Chan the entire time he was working on Facebook at Harvard. Which invalidates Sorkin's premise he created Facebook and was driven for it to succeed because he was a misogynist who couldn't get a date. 

The only thing Sorkin got right is Zuckerberg is an "a-hole" (which if you haven't seen the movie, he's called in the opening and closing scene 🤣).

But only in America is that movie not libel. Sorkin completely distorsts the history of Facebook 

Edited by Chiguy13
  • 2 weeks later...

In my personal and humble opinion :yay: I really am not a fan of Grease or of any superhero movies. Same plot, explosions, no characters with any depth, just blah. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, Chiguy13 said:

Anything Sorkin is just contrived drivel.

His Facebook movie is wrong in every factual detail, from beginning to end. For example, Zuckerberg was dating his current wife Priscilla Chan the entire time he was working on Facebook at Harvard. Which invalidates Sorkin's premise he created Facebook and was driven for it to succeed because he was a misogynist who couldn't get a date. 

The only thing Sorkin got right is Zuckerberg is an "a-hole" (which if you haven't seen the movie, he's called in the opening and closing scene 🤣).

But only in America is that movie not libel. Sorkin completely distorsts the history of Facebook 

I agree with you on the many inaccuracies, but for me, I can look past it to an extent because there’s some really incredible dialogue in the film which manages to make a movie where they spend a good portion of the time arguing over legal logistics into an overall entertaining film, even if wrong at different points. That’s just my opinion though, and I do think it’s overrated, though still a solid movie.

5 hours ago, KungFuKok said:

I agree with you on the many inaccuracies, but for me, I can look past it to an extent because there’s some really incredible dialogue in the film which manages to make a movie where they spend a good portion of the time arguing over legal logistics into an overall entertaining film, even if wrong at different points. That’s just my opinion though, and I do think it’s overrated, though still a solid movie.

I agree it's good filmmaking given the lack of visual action in computer programming and the dialogue carries it. Sadly, it's probably one of the best movies made in the last 10 years, which says more about Hollywood's decline. 

But it's such a piece of fiction, there's no way real names should be attached to it. 

I mean...it's got to be Citizen Kane, right?

It's a good movie.  Incredibly important and it changed how people shot movie scenes forever...but no movie can live up to being "The Greatest Movie of All Time".

22 minutes ago, ZakuConvoy said:

.but no movie can live up to being "The Greatest Movie of All Time".

I beg to differ. Shawshank Redemption. Get busy living or get busy dying. Hope is a good thing, and no good thing ever dies. All it takes is time and pressure. That and a big goddamn poster. 🤷‍♀️

Actually, the Stephen King-Frank Darabont cooperation has resulted in three movies that are way deeper than they appear on the surface, but only Shawshank is narrated by Morgan Freeman, so... :lol: 

(I know what you mean though; people have such different opinions, we can't even unite over a favourite ice cream taste, so how could we unite over "the greatest movie of all time", especially when times... kinda change...?)

Yeah, a lot of the movies that really changed things, or were really shocking at the time, or truly groundbreaking become a little less so sometimes...because so many people end up copying them.  Even if it's well done, it can't really surprise you anymore when you've seen it done a dozen times.  It can't have the same impact for you as it did when it originally came out.  

It's all completely subjective of course, but the very first Star Wars film made did absolutely nothing for me (and I therefore didn't watch any of the others).

So sue me.

:joal:

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, when it comes to movies, "good" equals "enjoyable". Which is why I think most of the MCU movies are really really good...

most of the Tarantino oeuvre is REALLY BAD...

Casablanca is six hundred times better than It's a Wonderful Life...

Forrest Gump is maybe the worst movie in the history of mankind...

and the James Bond movie View to a Kill is vastly, VASTLY underrated.

🤓

On 5/28/2022 at 2:15 AM, March Hare said:

most of the Tarantino oeuvre is REALLY BAD...

Wholeheartedly agree, I was originally very excited to watch each of his works, but felt more and more let down the more I watched haha. I know this may be common knowledge, but I cannot stress enough how overrated the Fast & Furious series is as a whole. Even the first couple were just not my cup of tea whatsoever, and I'm all for the over-the-top action films with oversaturated CGI.

omg im not a movie person whatsover but i really think most marvel movies are highly, highly, over rated. 

Edited by Melody
  • 3 weeks later...

Signs 

I don't have anything against M. Night Shyamalan and have enjoyed some of his movies but I just never understood how Signs was so widely renowned let alone considered a scary movie. Granted I watched it as an adult so that may have contributed. 

• 1 month later...

For me it was 100% Birdman I kept hearing how amazing the writing was so I decided to give it a shot and couldn't figure out what everyone was talking about lol

On 8/25/2022 at 1:10 AM, Mimaneneko said:

For me it was 100% Birdman I kept hearing how amazing the writing was so I decided to give it a shot and couldn't figure out what everyone was talking about lol

Typical Hollywood movie of the last 20 years.

It’s like they stopped at the second draft. Plenty of potential, but the emphasis is not right. 

On 1/18/2022 at 11:56 PM, Melody said:

In my personal and humble opinion :yay: I really am not a fan of Grease or of any superhero movies. Same plot, explosions, no characters with any depth, just blah. 

On 6/6/2022 at 8:32 PM, Melody said:

omg im not a movie person whatsover but i really think most marvel movies are highly, highly, over rated. 

Omg so glad I’m not the only person who thinks this. I like some Marvel movies but they are nothing mind blowing so I truly don’t understand people who obsess over Marvel movies.

Most overrated movie for me would be any movie in the Star Wars series. It seems to me that each movie is a carbon copy of the other ones with different window dressing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was convinced by a friend to watch The Great Escape(1963) and when I looked it up on IMDb I saw it had a 8.2 rating, and so I was sold.

Very typical war movie and quite frankly a little boring. There are 3 or 4 really great moments in this movie - but that adds up to a most of 15mins. 

And this movie is longggg, like Lord of The Rings long. 2hrs 52 with mere minutes of exciting moments.

Not for me, but I can understand why maybe people in 63 liked it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2022 at 11:45 PM, NobodyKnows said:

I was convinced by a friend to watch The Great Escape(1963) and when I looked it up on IMDb I saw it had a 8.2 rating, and so I was sold.

Very typical war movie and quite frankly a little boring. There are 3 or 4 really great moments in this movie - but that adds up to a most of 15mins. 

And this movie is longggg, like Lord of The Rings long. 2hrs 52 with mere minutes of exciting moments.

Not for me, but I can understand why maybe people in 63 liked it.

I'm glad The Great Escape exists because it inspired one of THE funniest sketches Eddie Izzard ever did in her life.

Edited by March Hare