Sneeze Fetish Forum

Most overrated movie?

Bless you, Hi

2 hours ago, resolution said:

Easily Titanic.

Easily.

Agreed.

Don't want to step on toes here, but, sorry, basically all superhero movies. I feel like they played themselves out years ago. Enough already!

Personally - I have never particularly liked the original Ghostbusters movie. I know nobody thinks this is the best movie in history, but it seems to be a sort of cult classic with some people and I just don't get why.

I think this is probably because I never saw it as a kid - I watched it with a couple of friends aged about 17, and was like "Oh, that's it? Why the hell does anyone think this is so cool?"

On 11/9/2022 at 5:08 PM, Heathcliff said:

Personally - I have never particularly liked the original Ghostbusters movie. I know nobody thinks this is the best movie in history, but it seems to be a sort of cult classic with some people and I just don't get why.

I think this is probably because I never saw it as a kid - I watched it with a couple of friends aged about 17, and was like "Oh, that's it? Why the hell does anyone think this is so cool?"

Its not about the action, its about the sly comedy.

17 hours ago, Chiguy13 said:

Crash won the Oscar for best picture.

I'd put it on my 10 worst movies ever made list ... along with the chick Ghostbusters reboot. 

I personally don't think Crash is a terrible movie, but that is certainly one of those "WTF, they picked that??" decisions for Best Picture.

Elvis.

Just tried to watch it because people said it was good. Gave up after 15 minutes. What a pile of 💩.

Everything that's wrong with Hollywood. Need to rant about this …

(Note Spoilers … like Elvis is dead 😂)

1) It starts with Elvis dying. Stupid storytelling. We know Elvis dies -- as a pathetic, drug addicted, has-been. That's how my generation saw him. In the '80s, music had moved on, and Elvis was anything but cool. So, I'm watching this movie 40 years later because I now want to understand why he was such a big deal to my mom's generation. Take me on that journey. Elvis needs to start out young, and promising to give me hope. Think Shakespeare. I know Romeo and Juliet is a tragedy. It's on the cover. But once I'm invested in the story, I'm hoping against hope it will end well for these crazy kids. That's why it's a tragedy. 🤦🏼‍♂️

2) Then we go to Tom Hanks in a fat suit, looking 80 and doing a Colonel Klink like German accent. He's playing Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis' manager. Tom Parker is a bizarre, shady dude. But, that's for the late second act turn of the movie as we begin to move toward the inevitable tragedy. Let’s get to know Eve before we meet the snake.

3) Finally, we go to Elvis' early life ... done as a comic book. You have to see how stupidly this is done to believe it. Until I read it in the lead up to this movie, I didn't know Elvis’ father was in jail for most of his childhood, and he lived on the black side of town because his mother was broke, and no one would hire her. As storytellers, how are we glossing over this? It's the character's motivation and inspiration.🤦🏼‍♂️

4) We skip quickly (too quickly) to Elvis first semi-big gig in small town Arkansas. The girls go wild, and all but throw their panties at him. First show? Really? Happened like that? FO. 

5) The straw that flipped the remote ... Baz Luhrmann does a bizarre homage to Baz Luhrmann with a misplaced narration to the next scene that feels like the start of Moulin Rouge ... 15 minutes into Elvis. Chiguy out. 

This is why Hollywood is failing on every level. No writers who understand even basic story principles or structure. 

And self indulgent nonsense. Baz's tribute to Baz. And I don't f-ing care about Tom Hanks wanting his third Oscar for wearing a fat suit and playing an old man with an accent.

They hired a no-name to play Elvis, so they wanted a big name like Hanks for marketing. Doesn't mean Hanks has to be in scene two. People aren't going to walk out of the theater if they don't see Tom Hanks in the first 20 minutes, whatever the hit to Tom's ego. 💩

Epic rant over. Mods feel free to move to Snake Pit … or delete 😂

5 hours ago, Chiguy13 said:

Elvis.

Just tried to watch it because people said it was good. Gave up after 15 minutes. What a pile of 💩.

Everything that's wrong with Hollywood. Need to rant about this …

Ooh, I haven't seen this. Is it available on a streaming service? I want to watch it now to see if I agree with you or not.

Also you've reminded me of another movie I think is overrated - Moulin Rouge! I totally didn't see the appeal in that. Apart from Jim Broadbent singing Like A Virgin which was quite funny.

2 hours ago, Heathcliff said:

Ooh, I haven't seen this. Is it available on a streaming service? I want to watch it now to see if I agree with you or not.

Also you've reminded me of another movie I think is overrated - Moulin Rouge! I totally didn't see the appeal in that. Apart from Jim Broadbent singing Like A Virgin which was quite funny.

I watched on HBO Max in the US. 
I enjoyed Moulin Rouge. Problem with this movie is he's trying to do the story of Elvis like Moulin Rouge. 
Def check out for yourself. But if you didn't like Moulin Rouge, I think you'll hate this. 
Looking forward to your review. 

• 2 months later...