Sneeze Fetish Forum

jke drabbles

jke1995

Hi everyone! I’m going to try and keep my one shot stories under this thread and save my multi-part ones for the Original Fiction section.

With the holidays here, I figured I’d start with a wintry one. Let me know what you think!

Dashing Through the Snow

“A swimsuit party? What even is that ?”

“It’s at that bar over on Lincoln. You only can get in if you’re wearing a swim suit. They’re gonna have beach music playing and have special tropical drinks too. It’ll be fun!”

“But it’s December.”

Jordan had just moved to the city a few months earlier. Being a stranger in a new city, she had to find roommates via the internet. The two she found, Marie and Jessica, were fine but they were very different from Jordan. They liked to go out and be spontaneous while she liked to stay home and relax while she wasn’t at work.

“That’s the fun part. We’re wearing red and green swimsuits. We can find you a Christmasy one too.” Jessica said.

“No way. You’ll catch your death if you go out like that. I have a date on Sunday. We’re going to see the Nutcracker downtown. I can’t miss that.”

“We’re not gonna get sick. But I understand. Suit yourself.” Marie said.

The next evening, Jessica and Marie apppeared in the living room. Jessica in a green bikini and flip-flops and Marie in a red one-piece and sandals. Jessica had a white pea coat and Marie had a black trench coat to go over their swimsuits. Neither had a hat or gloves. Jordan was sitting in the couch in a gray sweatshirt, black leggings, and fuzzy socks. She looked up from a book she was reading. 

“You know it’s supposed to snow tonight, right?”

“We’ll be fine. It’s only a ten minute walk and we’ll feel nice and warm after a few drinks.” Jessica said.

“Well, I’ll probably be asleep by the time you get home. Have fun, and be safe!” Jordan told her roommates. 

The two women set off. There was a shortcut over to the bar that they knew. It was just a walk down a fairly long alleyway and over a block. They lived in a great neighborhood and were comfortable using the alley. However as they approached it, they saw it was closed.

“Construction through the end of January?” Marie read the sign out loud.

“It must suck to live on this block.” Jessica remarked. The pair now had to double back and take the long way around, which meant they had a thirty minute walk ahead of them. Just as they started off, snow began to fall.

“Great.” Marie said, tying her trench coat tighter.

The walk may have been half an hour but it felt like several. The snow and wind got heavier as the walk went on. Their ears and noses were bright red from the cold, and their bare legs shivered with each gust.

“Wh-when we g-get there, I’m ordering a n-n-nice hot cider.” Jessica said through chattering teeth.

“That sounds perfect.” Marie agreed.

Eventually the two reached the bar. They got inside and found the place desolate. Only a handful of patrons wanted to come out in a snowstorm in their swimsuits. 

“Whatever let’s get a drink to warm up.” Marie said. They sat down at the bar and ordered two hot ciders.

“Sorry, only tropical drinks tonight.” The bartender said, showing them the special menu. They rolled their eyes and settled for daiquiris. It got old fast and they realized they would have to go back out in the storm if they wanted to leave. 

“Let’s just order an Uber.” Jessica said, pulling out her phone. 

“A two hour wait? I’ve never heard of such a thing?”

She said, even more annoyed.

“It must be the weather. Come on, let’s just walk. We already did it on the way here. It’ll probably feel quicker going back.” Marie suggested. They put on their coats and left. 

It did not feel any quicker going home. In fact it was worse. About a third of the way home, Jessica stepped in a huge puddle that sent a chill from her toes to her head in a second. 

“Oh m-my God. I’ll nnever be w-warm again.” She said. To make matters worse, Marie wandered a little close to the curb and got sprayed with a bunch of snow from a passing snow plow. The two thought they would never be home before seeing their building appear out of the chaotic white flakes. They ran to the building and up to the second floor to their door. 

“Okay please udlock it.” Marie said.

“What do you bead? You have the keys.” 

“Do I dod’t.” Marie said. Could one thing go right for them tonight? They started knocking loudly in hopes that Jordan was still awake. A moment later, she opened the door.

“You guys are home early. Did you-“

“Hep-CHOOO!”

“ITSCHOOO!” Both girls sneezed in Jordan’s face.

—————————————

“Ha ECHOO! This is all your fault!”

It was the next morning. There was no doubt that Jessica and Marie had picked up a cold on their little adventure. Unfortunately for Jordan, being sneezed on meant she woke up with it too. They were all in the living room. Jessica was in her green plaid pajamas, sitting in a recliner, soaking her feet in a tub of water.

“I’b sorry we got you sick. Hai-CHOO!” She said before blowing her nose.

“I’b sorry you’re godda biss your date. Itshooo! Are you godda reschedule.?” Marie asked. She was in her red Christmas pajamas with candy canes, sitting cross legged under a blanket. She was holding a hot water bottle against her stomach.

“Yeah I just Dod’t kdow whed. Hep-CHOO! Cad we turd the heat dowd? I’b sweatidg right dow.” Jordan was lying on the couch next to Marie in a tank-top and blue pajama pants.

“Do!” Both Marie and Jessica said in unison.

“We’re still so cold frob last dight.” Marie said with a sniff. There was a box of tissues on the coffee table and used ones all over.

“Ugh. It’s so hot id here.” Jordan said.

“Here. This will help *sniff” Marie pulled off Jordan’s socks.

“That does feel better. I’b sorry they’re probably sweaty.” Jordan said.

“Do probleb. I cad’t sbell adythidg right dow.” Marie said giving Jordan a playful tap on her sole.

Even if they were different, Jordan had to admit she had some pretty fun roommates.

The End

I love this so much! Mess and contagion 🔥

“We’re not gonna get sick. But I understand. Suit yourself.” Marie said.

^This line in particular was one of my favorites. Because (1) famous last words! And (2) I love puns! (Intentional or unintentional.) 

“Hep-CHOOO!”

“ITSCHOOO!” Both girls sneezed in Jordan’s face.

I also like how Marie and Jessica wasted no time getting sick or sharing their germs with Jordan. I mean, I also love more slowburn contagion, lol, and suspense, but it's hard to argue with instant gratification. ♥️ 

There was a box of tissues on the coffee table and used ones all over.

Lastly, just the small, background details of their illness. *chin hands* 

Thank you so much for writing and sharing! 

• 2 weeks later...

99.9% Effective 

Heidi and Katie were scouring the cleaning supplies aisle at their grocery store.

“Where is it?” Katie said, searching the high shelves.

“It should be right here.” Heidi said searching the low ones.

“Magic Away, right?”

“Yep, only cleaning product that kills all germs.”

You see, Katie and Heidi had a third roommate, Bre. Bre wasn’t with them because she was at home with a bad cold. This is what prompted her roommates to go out and buy not only sick day supplies but cleaning ones as well.

“She never just stays in bed when she’s sick. She has to move from her bed to the living room and lay on the couch, then to the kitchen even though we tell her to stay put.” Katie complained.

“Not to mention, she can’t just use one bathroom. She has no concept of the word ‘quarantine.’” Heidi added.

“Hey I found it!” Katie exclaimed. “Wait, this can’t be right. It says it kills 99.9% of all germs. But I could’ve sworn it killed all germs. Like their commercials.” 

“Weird. Let me look it up.” Heidi said.

“Apparently some customer complained that they caught a cold after using the spray. They threatened legal action.” She said, reading an article off her phone.

“That seems a little extreme. I wonder who would do that.” Katie thought out loud.

————————————

The previous December, Kim was excited. The 46-year-old woman had been working from home as a customer service representative for several years. She normally hated fall and winter and stayed in as much as possible. She was a complete germaphobe and was terrified of catching a cold, flu, strep, or any other illness. It was a extreme, but to her being sick was the worst possible feeling ever. 

She was excited though, because today her daughter, Emma was coming home from college to Winter Break. She was a senior at a school ar away and hadn’t been home to visit all semester. 

It was late afternoon and her work was almost done for the day, when Kim heard the front door open. Emma was home! She got up and hurried out of her upstairs office and down to greet her daughter who was taking off her snowy boots.

“Hi honey! I’m so happy to see you! Come inside before you let in the draft.” She shut the door behind Emma and sprayed the knob with Magic Away and wiping it with a paper towel.

“Still using your magic spray, huh?” Emma’s asked before putting her coat in the closet.

“I haven’t been sick since I started using it! It kills all germs-“

“Instantly. I know, I’m just teasing you.”

The two had a lovely evening together. They made dinner, ate, and caught up. They ended up watching movies on the couch in their pajamas. They were still chatting when Emma let out a small “It-CHOO!” Into her hands.

“What was that?” Her mom asked nervously.

“I’m not sure I- Hai-TSHHOOOO” she let out a much larger sneeze.

“Cobe to thidk of it, I have beed feelidg really tired today. *sniff”

“Okay, you can’t be in here anymore. Up to bed!” Kim puller her shirt over her mouth and nose. Emma obliged as there was no sense in arguing with such a germaphobe when she was sick.

Kim whipped out more Magic Away from her end table and sprayed the section where Emma was sitting and then proceeded to spray the air between the living room all the way upstairs to Emma’s bedroom, spraying her doorknob for good measure.

“Good. At least I killed the germs. Now I just need to keep Emma in her room until she was better.

Emma woke up the next morning to her mom knocking on her door. “Hai-CHOOO” she sneezed into her elbow. She felt miserable. She got up, put her slippers on and opened the door. Kim was standing with a breakfast tray, wearing a surgical mask and gloves.

“Good morning. That’s far enough. No leaving your bed until you’re better.” She coaxed Emma back to bed. Once she was settled, she set the tray down. It had apple juice, orange slices, tea, and a box of tissues.

“Thadks Bob. You kdow I just have a cold right, dot the plague? The bask add the gloves are little buch.”

“I just like staying healthy is all. I’m definitely not scared of a cold.” Kim said defiantly.

“Oh yeah? Touch be without your gloves thed?” Emma dared, a little annoyed with her mom’s antics.

“Okay.” Kim nervously took off her glove and briefly touched the pinky toe on Emma’s right foot at the end of the bed.

“I’ll check on you in a bit!” She left before Emma could argue. The door shut and Emma sat in disbelief.

Kim immediately sprayed her hand with magic away and wiped it. That was too close. She then decided that there were too many germs in the house. Keeping her mask and gloves on, she scrubbed every doorknob, window, floor, and surface. She worked the living room, kitchen, powder room, office, and her bedroom all with Magic Away. She in the middle of cleaning her bedroom when she realized she was out of cleaner. “There’s another bottle under the bathroom sink.” She thought to herself.

She got up, took her hand out of her glove and opened the door. To her horror, Emma was in the bathrooom as well to grab more tissues. She looked down and saw her moms hand opening the door and before she could cover, let out a “Hai-CHOOO!” All over Kim’s hand. 

Kim gasped and almost dove under the sink for the extra bottle of Magic Away, quickly spraying her hand and wiping.

——————-

“AhhhTSHHHHH! Oh by God, this stidks!” It was the next morning, and Kim was in bed with a cold.

“It’s odly a cold. *sniff* You’ll feel better sood.” Emma came in carrying a similar tray as yesterday. She was still sick but better than yesterday. She was wearing her red robe, long-sleeved white t-shirt, sweatpants and slippers.

“If it’s supposed to kill every gerb, why ab I still sick?” Kim held up a bottle of Magic Away.

“Probably because it doesd’t. They just wadt to sell a lot of spray add you bought a lot of spray. It-SHOO!” Emma was sneezing freely in her house for the first time ever.

“I’b godda call theb up add give theb a piece of by bidd. ATCHOOOO!” Kim sneezed openly.

“Let’s wait udtil you’re over this cold.” Emma suggested, squeezing Kim’s pinky toe like she did to her the day before.

“You’re right. Cobe idto bed, hud. You deed rest too.” Emma happily climbed in. They both recovered after a few days and Kim gave thr Magic Away company a huge piece of her mind. So much that they changed their slogan to “Kills 99.9% of Germs.”

——-

“Well that’s interesting.” Katie said after Heidi finished reading her the article. “I think we should still get it.”

“Are you sure? People still can get sick when using this. EP-SHOOO!” Heidi said.

“We’ll it probably doesn’t matter anyway. Let’s go home and get you into bed where you belong.” 

The two didn’t end up buying the Magic Away, now knowing that no cleaning product would ever get rid of every possible germ.

The End

Nice one.

22 hours ago, jke1995 said:

Apparently some customer complained that they caught a cold after using the spray. They threatened legal action

That's actually something that can happen 😂

In the Club (and out of bed)

Brigit was driving a little faster than normal. Traffic was light and she had absolutely no time to waste. It was her summer break and even though there was over a month before her junior year of college started, she had to see her roommate and friend. Fallon.

Fallon and Brigit liked to go out and have a good time as much as any college students, but with both of them only being 20 years old, they often found themselves with limited places to go. Fallon had a fake ID for a little while, but that was confiscated at a bar near their school.

Tonight would be different though. Fallon’s older sister, Kelly, was not only of age but had a connection to the manager of one of the best clubs in their city. She promised Fallon that she would get her and Brigit in tonight, no questions asked. It was late afternoon when Brigit pulled up to Fallon’s house. She knew Kelly was also living back at home temporarily after her roommate moved out unexpectedly. The plan was to go out around 9, but Brigit already had her hair and makeup done. She grabbed her black dress for tonight and her duffel bag, which contained her pajamas, toothbrush, and clothes for tomorrow, and headed for the front door. She was currently wearing white sneakers, black shorts, and a blue crop-top. She rang the doorbell and Fallon answered, with an annoyed look on her face.

“Hey Fallon, what’s up?” She asked stepping inside. She noticed Fallon also had her hair and makeup ready but was wearing a white t-shirt and pink athletic shorts.

“The nights ruined.” She said glumly.

“It’s 4:30; how is it ruined already?” Brigit asked.

“Haaaa….HAAAAATCHOOOO!” A booming sneeze came from upstairs. Brigit looked confused. Fallon beckoned Brigit to follow her. They went upstairs and stopped in front of a partially opened door and the two peered inside. 

“Hap-CHOO!” Kelly was in bed, lying on top of her covers. She wore a white tank-top and gray sweatpants and her hair was all over the place. There were used tissues all over the bed, a box of tissues on her nightstand, as well as a mug of tea, and a bag of cough drops.

Fallon slink into her bedroom and sat on the bed. Brigit followed.

“Why is she still in bed so late? She knows what tonight is.” Brigit said, confused.

Fallon shot her a look. “The sneezing. The tissues. The medicine. She woke up with a cold. She’s the only person I know that could catch a cold in the middle of July. She’s bedridden. No chance she wants to go out tonight. We can’t get into that club without her.” Fallon complained, flopping back on her bed dramatically.

Just then, her mom, Darlene, appeared in the doorway. She was wearing a nice sleeveless top, slacks, and mules.

“Hey Fallon, i have my high school reunion downtown tonight so I’m going to be out pretty late. I need you to check in your sister tonight. Make sure she gets some soup in her and some NyQuil. Oh and most importantly, don’t let her get out of bed. I’ll see you later! Love you!” She said before leaving. 

Brigit watched as Darlene pulled away in her car. She was certainly disappointed that they couldn’t get into the club tonight. After a few minutes, Fallon sat back up.

“We’re going tonight. I’m not accepting any other outcome. Follow me.” She got up and went next door to Kelly’s room.

“Hey Kelly. How are you feeling?” Fallon said as she sat down on the bed, moving some tissues to make room. 

“*sniff* I feel terrible. I haved’t beed this sick id a lodg tibe. Haa-CHOO!” She sneezed into a tissue before giving her nose a nice long blow.

“I know, you poor thing. I was thinking if we gave you a little medicine now, you’d be ready to go out around 9?” 

“Are you serious? Look at be. I’b dot leavidg this house let alode goidg to a club todight. I just wadt to stay id bed.”

“Oh come on, Kelly. It’s just a little cold. You’ll feel better once you get up. Here I’ll help you.” Fallon stood up and grabbed Kelly’s ankle and tried to drag her out of bed.

“What are you doidg, Fallod? Stop! ATSHOO!” Kelly was hanging on to her headboard.

“Okay sorry.” Fallon stopped and thought for a moment. “How about this: You take some medicine, we’ll draw you a bath and get you ready.” 

Kelly thought for a moment. “A bath does soudd dice. Okay fide.”

Fallon went to the bathroom and drew the bath water, adding bubbles to it. Kelly came in and Fallon stepped out, giving her sister some privacy. She disrobed and climbed in, the hot water feeling good on her cold skin that had just gotten even colder in the air conditioning. Brigit came in a few minutes later with a bottle of daytime medicine and a glass of juice. Kelly took the medicine and wondered if she was making a good choice. It was hard to be opposed when she was soaking away her aches and chills in the tub. 

When Kelly was done, she stood up and emptied the water. She put on her fluffy white robe. She studied herself in the mirror. Her face was a little pale and her nose was bright pink. Makeup would fix that for sure; Her sister was good at that.

“Haaa-CHOOOO!” She sneezed all over the mirror. She still didn’t have a fix for that. Wiping the mirror clean, she recalled she did have something. In the medicine cabinet was a bottle of nasal spray. She gave herself a quick puff in each nostril. She immediately felt better.

Kelly lay on her bed in her robe. Brigit brushed and did her hair before Fallon did her makeup. When they were done, Kelly had to admit. She looked almost healthy. She then changed into a white, silk, shoulder-less top and black ripped jeans to go along with a pair of high-heel sandals. ust by looking at her, you’d never know she was sick.

They got into a taxi a little before 9 and were on their way. They pulled up a little while later and could hear the music from the curb. There was already a line to get in. Fortunately, Kelly was close with the manager. The bouncer spotted her immediately and waved them past the line.

“Kelly! I’m glad you’re here.” He said, giving her a hug.

“Thadks. I brought by sister add friedd too.”

“Yep. They’re on the list. You can head in.” He opened the door and the three women headed in, despite some complaints from those in line. 

The Three were able to find a high top table in back before Fallon and Brigit took to the dance floor. Kelly wasn’t feeling quite up to dancing, but was feeling good enough to have a drink while she sat and watched everyone. She was glad she went out, she hadn’t felt this good all day.

Time passed quickly. Brigit and Fallon would come back to the table and have a drink with Kelly every so often before dancing some more. After some convincing, they got Kelly out on the dance floor. She had to admit she was having a blast.

“Kelly, you’d never know you were in bed with a cold a few hours ago.” Fallon remarked excitedly. This was easily the best night of her life. This was better than any college party her or Brigit had ever been to. 

Kelly was feeling herself on the dance floor when something other than her feet started dancing. Her nose tickled very briefly before she let a huge sneezing fit fly.

“Ha-Choo, At-CHOO, AAAATTTTTTSHOOOOO!” She sprayed a group of girls next to her who all gave her very dirty looks. 

“Uh oh.” Brigit said. Her and Fallon quickly grabbed Kelly and ran out before they could get confronted. They hailed a cab immediately and almost threw her inside. The drive was quiet, except for Kelly’s cold, which had come back with a vengeance.

“Het-CHOO! HETCHOOOOO! I’b sorry I forgot to bridg tissues.” She had sneezed in the backseat. There wasn’t much Brigit or Fallon could do. They were mostly silent on the way home. They arrived at the house and Fallon hurried Kelly inside while Brigit paid for the cab. Kelly went upstairs, the medicine now having worn off. She now felt worse than before. She got into her room, kicked off her shoes, and crawled into bed. Fallon came in behind her and went for her sister’s dresser. Since Kelly was only living there temporarily, it was a little unorganized, so Fallon pulled out a black pajama top and a fresh pair of sweatpants.

“Not so fast Kelly. You’ll feel better if you change.” She tossed the pajamas on the bed. After she changed, Brigit came in with some NyQuil. Kelly took it and was asleep within ten minutes.

Fallon and Brigit went into Fallon’s room and got ready for bed. Brigit had brought a green, silk, short-sleeved pajama top and matching shorts. Fallon opted for a black tank-top and red plaid pajama pants. 

“That was the best night ever. I still can’t believe we actually went clubbing.” Brigit said as she climbed into bed.

“I know. Everyone at school is gonna be super jealous. I just wish it didn’t have to end.” Fallon said, climbing in after Brigit.

“Yeah I know, but it was fun while it lasted. I wish we could take a piece of what happened with us, does that make sense?” Brigit said.

“I know what you mean.” Fallon said, before shutting off the lights.

——————————

“Huh-SHHHOO!”

“EPCHOOOO!”

“Ah-Ahhh-ATCHOO!”

“You poor dears, I’m sorry you had to stay in and look after your sick sister, Fallon. And, Brigit, I’m sorry they made you stay with them. Now look, all three of you have this bug.” It was the next morning. Going out drinking and dancing did not help Kelly’s cold at all. She woke up feeling ten times worse than yesterday. Naturally, Fallon and Brigit woke up sneezing and sniffling as well. All three of them were in Darlene’s bed going through tissue after tissue. Fallon had an ice pack on her head, her hair in a loose ponytail, and wearing her glasses. Next to her was Brigit, who had a tissue in each nostril to stop her nose from the constant running. Her hair was in a bun and her skin was very pale. She sipped orange juice with a straw. On the very end was Kelly. Her hair had returned to its messy state from yesterday. She currently had a thermometer under her tongue. 

“Looks like you have a fever, Kelly. This is a nasty bug. I hope you’re all comfortable, because you’re staying right here in bed until further notice.” Darlene said before leaving.

“Soudds good to be.” Kelly said glumly.

“Oh cobe od, Kelly. At least adbit you had fud last dight. *sniff*” Fallon said. 

“Yeah, I guess I did. Just please Dod’t bake be go out whed I’b sick ever agaid.” Kelly said. 

“Dever agaid.” Fallon said as she sat up and sealed her promise by reaching over and squeezing Kelly’s big toe. They all took something from last night, just not something they wanted.

The End.

Poor ladies! I'm glad they were able to have a good time though, even if it was cut short. I would feel a little bad for Kelly if she had regretted going out as soon as they made it to the club. 

I also love the "souvenir" that Fallon and Brigit wound up with! And the fact that their mom Darlene is oblivious to the full course of events (even though her daughters are both adults) makes the story even cuter! 

Thank you all! I know @Likesn jokingly suggested a spin off after the last story, but I decided to go for it anyway. Here goes. Please let me know what you think!

Out of the Club (and into my nose)

Living with your friends after college is a fairly common. Jackie, Ashley, and Lexy were no exception. They had taken jobs in different cities after graduation but now, four years later, had all come back to the same city. The only issue was that apartments big enough for three people were hard to come by. They all struggled to find anything that could accommodate them in their price range. Then one day, Ashley found an ad. A woman named Ariel was the owner of a four-bedroom house. She lived alone and needed some extra money so she was renting out her three spare bedrooms for a very reasonable price. The trio jumped at the chance.

They had been living in the house for about three months and things were going, alright. Lexy, Jackie , and Ashley were in their mid twenties and liked to go out and stay up late on weekends. Ariel was about ten years older and was an early bird, often starting housework early on Saturday and Sunday mornings, much to the irritation of her tenants.

One Saturday evening, the trio was busy getting ready to go out. They had tried a new club a couple weeks ago and had a ton of fun. It was so much fun they decided to go back. The upstairs was a flurry of activity. Make up pallets and hairspray were everywhere while several different outfit combinations were strewn on their beds. It was warm out so there were a lot of sleeveless tops, crop tops, miniskirts, and short dresses. Once they were all ready, they met in the living room to wait for an Uber. While they waited, Ariel appeared in a tank-top, Jean shorts, and ankle socks.

“You guys have fun tonight, but remember you agreed to help me with the landscape tomorrow.” She said.

“We’ll be ready.” Ashley said as she tightened her ankle-high boot. Lexy got a notification that their ride was out front and they set off.

The trio had gotten to the club fairly early I. The night by design. They didn’t have to wait in line and they secured a high top table as it wasn’t super crowded yet. They had a couple of drinks and as the club filled up, they made their way to the dance floor. 

The DJ was phenomenal and the crowd was loving it. Jackie noticed two girls who were dancing crazily.

“They don’t look old enough to be here.” She told Lexy over the music. She just shrugged.

“Maybe someone got them in.” Was her reply.

After awhile they saw a third girl join them, who looked more their age. It made a lot of sense. The two groups danced next to each other, each entranced in the music until something loud startled Ashley, Jackie, and Lexy.

“Ha-Choo, At-CHOO, AAAATTTTTTTTSHOOOOO!” The oldest of the three in the group next to them let out a huge uncovered sneezing fit all over the three of them. Ashley was stunned. Jackie was annoyed and gave the nastiest glare she could muster. Lexy was completely angry and wanted to confront them. How gross! She turned to say something but the other group was already gone. 

“Just let it go, guys. It was an accident.” Ashley said. The trio left shortly after and were waiting on a ride outside the club.

“She better not have been sick.” Lexy said , rubbing her neck where she was hit with spray.

“It’s the middle of summer. I doubt it. Come on let’s go home.” Ashley reassess the Uber pulled up. The trio rode quietly home. Once inside, they remained quiet as they got ready for bed as they knew Ariel would be asleep.

—————————

As usual Ariel was awake early the next morning. She went downstairs already dressed and ready to do some yard work. She drank her morning coffee and turned the morning news on. After about an hour, she was anxious to start, but there was no trace of the trio.

“I bet they’re upstairs hungover. I can’t believe it. They promised they’d help me.” She thought to herself. She decided to wake them up. She went upstairs and opened all three of their bedroom doors. They were all still fast asleep. She started with Jackie. She was laying on her stomach in a short-sleeved cotton, pink checkered pajama shirt and matching pants. Arielle nudged her awake. Jackie opened her eyes, squinted, and let out a “HaaPSCHOO!” Onto her pillow. 

“What tibe is it?” She flipped around, sat up and shivered. She pulled her blanket over her shoulders.

“It’s almost ten. We should be getting started on the landscaping. You guys promised to help so im not tolerating any hangovers.”

“Hep CHOO! I dod’t thidk I’b hudgover.” Jackie said, sneezing into her hands.

“Ehhhh EPSHOO!” Lexy appeared in the room wearing a silk, red pajama tank top with matching shorts.

“I dod’t feel so good. *sniff.” She said as she sat down on Jackie’s bed.

“Because you went out last night. You’re hungover!” Arielle said.

“Do It’s because-“

“AaaaaattttCHOOOOOOOO! I thidk we caught a cold.” Ashley appeared in the doorway. She was wearing her robe, a black crop-top, and gray sweat capris. 

“It’s July. How did all three of you catch a cold in the dead of summer?” Arielle asked.

“Sobe girl sdeezed od all three of us last dight.” Jackie said. “She bust have had a cold after all.*sniff “ Arielle looked at all three of her tenants and realized they were telling the truth. They all had terrible colds.

“Well, the landscaping can wait. You guys give me one minute okay?”

Moments later the trio came downstairs to find that Arielle had turned the giant sectional couch and ottoman into a makeshift bed for three with plenty of blankets. They spent the day there nursing their colds.

Arielle came in from the kitchen in the early afternoon with bowls of soup for each of them.

“Alright, here we go, eat up.” She distributed the bowls before making a face. “You guys are lucky you’re all stuffed up because it kind of stinks in here.” She was looking at the three pairs of bare feet all laid up on the ottoman. 

“Very fuddy.” Lexy said.

“Oh I’m just teasing.” Arielle said, rubbing Lexy’s left foot.

A couple of days later, the trio was feeling healthy again and was able to do their part and help clean up the landscaping. They decided to come inside to take a lunch break. 

“We’re almost done! How are we feeling?” Ashley walked into the living room, where Arielle was occupying the big sectional couch.

“HaiSHOO! Ugh I feel awful.” She was laying with her hair up and wore a light blue tank top and pajama pants.

“I know. It doesn’t take long to feel better though.” Jackie appeared in the room with juice.

“Not at all. Just be careful. You’re starting to stink up the room.” Lexy came in and sat down, rubbing Arielle’s bare feet.

She had to admit, even though she caught a cold from them and was behind on her yard work, she was grateful she lived with these three. They were just she needed to feel better.

The end.

Fun! I like how Arielle took such good care of them once she realized that they were actually sick and even made them a cozy makeshift bed. And, of course, her catching the cold a couple of days later is just the cherry on top. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Odd Couple

Bert and Ernie. Chandler and Joey. Jack Lemon and Walter Matthieu. The odd couple wasn’t really a new trope, not in the slightest. Sometimes, it occurred in real life. Such was the case of Rose and Charlotte.

The two had been roommates all four years of college. Charlotte was by all means the wilder of the two. She was a little messy, she stayed up late, she liked to party. Rose, on the other hand, was an early to bed, early to rise person. She always straightened up after herself and Charlotte, and almost always left parties early to get a good night sleep.

It was amazing that the two talked at all, let alone were best friends. However, they really cared for each other and couldn’t imagine college without the other. 

The other interesting contrast between the two was their health. Charlotte’s habits often led to her catching cold about three times a year and the flu at least once. She was prone to forgetting her jacket in the winter and often visited other friends when they were sick. Rose always dressed for the weather and avoided other sick people, with the exception of Charlotte. Every couple of months Charlotte would have to spend at least a day or two in bed with some ailment and Charlotte would tend to her. It was just another bonding experience for them.

Now, it was almost the end of their senior year. Graduation was a couple of weeks away. It was Friday night and the pair were relaxing in their apartment on their living room sofa. Charlotte was wearing a zip-up sweatshirt and yoga pants. Charlotte was in a crew-neck sweater, shorts, and socks.

“There’s going to be a band at Manny’s tomorrow night for the end of the year. Do you want to go?” Charlotte asked. Manny’s was a local dive bar that many students frequented.

“Yeah that sounds like a lot of fun! It may be our last college party too.” Rose said.

“We should have some people over beforehand. So we can go as a big group.” 

“That’s a good idea. The only problem is we don’t have any liquor here right now.” Rose said.

“That’s true. What if we got some really nice champagne and high end stuff? It’s our last big party, we should go out on a high note.” Charlotte suggested.

“Do you know how expensive that stuff is? I’m not so sure about that.” Rose countered.

“True. But I know where to get it for free.” Charlotte had a job as waitstaff for special events on campus. Last weekend she had worked a gala for the college board. She spent the evening serving very expensive drinks to very wealthy people. There had been a ton of leftovers that were stored in one of the cafeteria kitchens.

“No. We’re not stealing liquor from the school we’re about to graduate from. Do you want to be expelled?” Rose said nervously.

“There’s not another event until next year. Those bottles are just going to sit there and nobody’s going to take inventory for months. It’ll be fine. There’s also no security cameras in the kitchen.” 

“I really don’t know about this. It seems dangerous.” 

“No offense, Rose, but you think everything is dangerous. But this is our last time to do anything dangerous before leaving school. Don’t you want to leave and say you lived on the edge at least once?” Charlotte pleaded.

“Alright. But we better not get caught. And we better get in and out quickly.” Rose had relented.

“We won’t be long I swear.” Charlotte assured. They went to the door and put their shoes on. Charlotte in flip-flops and Rose in her sneakers.

“Too afraid to show off a little toe?” Charlotte teased. Rose wore sneakers everywhere.

“Only when I’m in bed sleeping.” Rose responded.

The two roommates headed for the cafeteria. It was closed for the evening, but the door was still unlocked. The two went in quietly as they could and headed for the kitchen. It was dark but Charlotte remembered exactly where the alcohol was kept. They found a storage room in the back corner. It was slightly ajar. Charlotte pushed it open and turned on the lights. There they were in all their glory. Bottles of top-shelf liquor were literally on the top shelf. Standing on her tippy-toes, Charlotte was able to pull down two bottles of champagne, a bottle of vodka, and a bottle of whiskey. 

“Okay, let’s get out of here.” Rose whispered. They shut off the lights in the storage room and carefully started to walk out of the kitchen when the lights turned on. The cafeteria mangager could be seen coming around the corner. The two split up fast. Charlotte was able to hide behind a counter and walk past the manager without being seen. She quietly walked out and hurried back to the apartment. 

Once she was in, she set her bottles down on the kitchen table. She sat down and caught her breath. That was way too close. Either of them could have been caught. Wait a minute. Where was Rose? She thought Rose followed her out. She hoped she hadn’t been caught. Charlotte hurried back out to the cafeteria. When she returned the lights were off once again.

“That’s probably not a good sign.” Charlotte thought as she looked around for her friend. She looked in the prep room, behind the serving counter, the dish washing room, the dry storrage room, but there was no sign of Rose anywhere. Charlotte was starting to panic when she heard a faint noise. It sounded like a knock. She followed it until it grew louder and right in front of her. She looked up and froze. She was in front of the freezer door, which locked from the outside. She pulled the heavy door open as hard as she could and then stumbled out Rose.

“Rose I’m so sorry, I thought you were right behind me!” The poor girl was shivering.

“Here let’s get you home.” Charlotte guided her roommate quietly back to the apartment, the only sound being her chattering teeth.

———————-

“He-he-HEISHOOO!” It was the next morning and Rose’s time in the freezer last night cost her her health.

Charlotte came into the room and had to stop herself from laughing. Always up early, it was funny to see Rose still in bed at 11:00 in the morning. Her prim and proper self was nowhere to be found. Her hair was a mess, her nose was a bright shade of pink, laying back in her robe and pajamas. The neat freak now had used, crumpled tissues all over her bed and floor. Her nightstand covered with a tissue box, empty juice glass, mug of tea, cold medicine.

“How is our patient doing?” Charlotte asked sarcastically. Rose shot her a look.

“Well seeidg as I wouldd’t have a cold Thadks to you, I’d have to say pretty terrible.”

“Cold? What cold?” Charlotte asked, knowing she was getting under her roommate’s skin.

“HaiCHOO! You bead this ode? God, beidg sick is the worst.” She whined.

“It stinks for sure. But you’re telling me you had no fun? No sense of adventure?”

“Well. It was pretty thriilidg. At least up udtil I got stuck id the freezer.” Rose admitted.

“See? It can be fun living life to the fullest.” Charlotte said.

“I kdow. I’b just glad I dod’t have to do adythidg dow add cad stay off by feet.”

“You mean these feet?” Charlotte began rubbing Rose’s bare soles at the end of the bed.

“Yep. Those odes. HaiCHOOO!” Rose giggled.

Charlotte took care of Rose throughout the day. Her plan was still to go out at night while Rose got some rest. Around 4:00, Rose fell asleep.

When she woke up, she saw Charlotte in the doorway. She was in a tank-top and sweatpants.

“Charlotte? Shouldd’t you be gettidg ready?”

“ItCHOO!” Was Charlotte’s answer as she sneezed in her hands.

“Serves you right for gettidg be sick last dight.” Rose said with a smile. “Cobe joid be.” 

Charlotte crawled into bed next to her roommate. A cold wasn’t ideal but spending time with her best friend was better than going out any time at all.

The End.

This is so sweet! I love how adventure-y but also low-stakes and domestic the story is! 

I especially enjoyed the brief role reversal of Charlotte taking care of a sick Rose (compared to what the story explains normally happens) and how the cold was framed as one last time for the two to bond before they graduate. I also really like the whole "cold temperatures -> catching cold" bit. Always a lovely trope! 

• 3 weeks later...

Depending On The Undependable

Cousins are often our first friends. If your family is close enough, they can become as close as siblings. This was true for Angelica, Courtney, and Kristen. Despite a considerable age gap, Angelica being 33, Courtney being 28, and Kristen being 23, they remained as close as sisters. So close, in fact, that after Angelica got divorced, her two younger cousins moved in with her. It was a big house, but between the three of them, it was easily paid for and easily maintained. Being the oldest, it was fair to say that Angelica did a lot  of the upkeep around the house. She loved having it always as tidy as possible. Courtney understood this, and having lived on her own before, helped as much as she could. She was also the best cook so she also prepared most meals. Kristen on the other hand, an only child who moved from her parents’ house to Angelica’s, was a little on the unhelpful side. It wasn’t necessarily laziness. She was a hard worker and earned a great job as a teacher at a nearby private school, but at home, she was used to having people do things for her. It drove the other two crazy but between them, things always got done. Until one fateful autumn day.

It was a cold and dreary Wednesday morning, and the three were in the kitchen before work. Angelica worked for a health insurance company and was dressed for work in a gray skirt, blazer, white blouse, and black tights. She was brewing coffee while the younger two sat at the kitchen table, talking of weekend plans.

“I can’t believe you actually got Taylor Swift tickets.” Courtney marveled at Kristen. Courtney worked in HR at an engineering firm. She mostly worked at home, so she was dressed in jeans, white socks, and a blue cardigan.

“It was tough, but we were able to get good seats. I can hardly wait for Saturday.” She beamed.

“What do you think of that, Angelica?” Courtney asked. Angelica however seemed to be in her own world.

“Huh? Oh yeah, that soudds fud.” She said tiredly. She faced her cousins, revealing a pink nose and tired eyes.

“Are you alright?” Kristen asked. 

“*sniff. Yeah I’b fide. I just didd’t sleep well last dight.” She began pouring coffee into three mugs.

“Uh huh. Sure thing, Sniffles.” Courtney said sarcastically.

“Dridk your coffee. I’b tellidg you I’b ahh HAHCHOOOO! Fide.” Angelica had sneezed into Kristen’s coffee mug. Kristen have it a disgusted look and pushed it aside. Courtney got up and felt her cousin’s forehead. 

“I think I’m going to call the doctor.” She said.

“Well, I don’t have time. I have to get to work. Let me know what the doctor says.” Kristen said as she headed out the door.

————————

Due to Angelica’s job, she was always able to get extra perks with her health insurance. This included a doctor who did house calls. Courtney thought it was a little excessive but was grateful for it in this situation. Dr. Elsie was about her age and didn’t mind traveling to and from people’s houses. She was currently in Angelica’s room. Angelica had changed from her work clothes to her green plaid pajamas and way lying under her covers. Dr. Elsie was currently sitting on the bed, shining a light up her patient’s nostrils.

“A ton of congestion up there, plus sneezing, coughing, fatigue. It looks like a bad cold, but please monitor and if it starts looking more like the flu, or if it starts to spread, let me know.” She said as she put her flashlight back in her medical bag.

“Will do. I work at home, so I’ll be able to look after her.” Courtney said from the doorway.

“Perfect. You have my number if something changes.” The doctor said as she headed out.

“Thadk you, doctor.” Angelica said from her bed.

“Looks like you’re staying right there for awhile. Do you need your bed adjusted?” Courtney asked. Another perk of Angelica’/ job was that she had access to a special mattress that could be raised or lowered depending on her comfort level.

“Do. I’b okay right dow. Thadk you.” 

Courtney spent most of the day waiting on her cousin, hand and foot. Courtney was about as good as Angelica in terms of responsibility, so taking care of her sick cousin wasn’t very difficult. Around 4:00 that afternoon, Kristen came home. Instead of checking on Angelica or offering to help Courtney, she went to her room and graded students’ assignments.

Around 8:30,she finally decided to check in on them. She poked her head in Angelica’s doorway, and found her asleep in bed, one leg on the floor. There were used tissues all over the bed and a bottle of NyQuil on the nightstand as well as a half empty glass of apple juice. Courtney was in the room. She grabbed her older cousin’s ankle on the floor and slowly lifted her leg onto the bed before covering her with the blanket. She grabbed the glass and turned off the lamp.

“How is she?” Kristen asked in the hallway after Courtney closed the door.

“She has one monster cold. I don’t think I’ve ever seen her this sick.” Courtney said as she headed to the kitchen. She took a seat at the table.

“I know. It’s freaky.” Kristen agreed.

“I could’ve really used some help today. Taking care of a sick person is hard work.”

“I had work to do when I got home. I was too busy.” Kristen said defensively.

“You could’ve prioritized a little better. What if we needed to depend on you like you depend on us?”

“Oh come on, you’re making a bigger deal than it is.” Kristen argued.

“Alright. Never mind.” Courtney took a drink of juice. Kristen giggled.

“Did you just drink out of Angelica’s glass?” She asked. Courtney was horrified. She ran to the sink and tried to wash out her mouth. After a minute, she turned around. 

“It should be okay. It was just a sip.”

——————————————

“Okay. Let’s see.” It was the next morning and Dr. Elsie was back and sitting on Angelica’s bed. However, Angelica now had company. Courtney now layed next to her cousin, her up in a messy bun, her nose bright pink, wearing blue striped pajamas. There was currently a thermometer under her tongue. Elsie pulled it out after it beeped.

“100.1. This might actually be a case of the flu, you two. Angelica, I’m glad you’ve been staying in bed. Courtney, I advise you to do the same. Again, please call me if anything changes.” The doctor grabbed her gear and left. 

Kristen, who had been looking forward to a long weekend due to a local holiday, stood in the doorway nervously. She slowly approached the bed.

“So do you guys like want anything?” She asked, very unsure of what to do.

“Do. I’b okay right dow. What about you, Courtdey?”

“Hu ISHOO! I thidk I wadt to go back to sleep for right dow.” Courtney said before blowing her nose.

“Okay sounds good.” Kristen was about to leave.

“You kdow what though? The kitched add bathroobs deed to be cleaded. That should be easy to do while we sleep.” Kristen almost jumped. She can’t remember ever having to clean multiple rooms without help. She knew her cousins did that mostly.

“Okay.” She said quietly. “Do you want your bed adjusted?” She went and hit a button on the side of the bed.

“Do. Be careful, it bight-“

The button she hit sent the end of the bed in the air and lowered the head of it, leaving the sick women’s heads down at the bottom of the bed frame. The blanket fell down by their heads leaving two pairs of bare feet exposed at Kristen’s eye level.

“Gross. Your feet totally smell.” She hit the button and the bed quickly returned to its normal setting. The two sick girls looked at each other.

“All by sdot wedt up idto by head. I cad hardly breathe.” Courtney said.

“Be too.” Agreed Angelica. Kristen left without a word.

Kristen took most of the day straightening up the house. She checked in on her cousins but didn’t want to get too close to their germs. This aggravated both of them as it resulted in Courtney having to get out of bed to make soup and tea for both of them, despite how weak she felt. Both went to sleep that night not feeling any better.

——————-

The next morning, Angelica woke up early. She sat up in bed, stretched, and sneezed “At-SHOO” Still very sick.

She got out of bed, slid her feet into a pair of flip flops, and put on her trusty green bathrobe. She trudged over to Kristen’s room where her youngest cousin was dressed in a t-shirt, jeans, and black socks. She looked petrified to see her sick cousin in her room.

“Kristed, we deed to talk.” Kristen nodded and sat down on her bed.

“You absolutely deed to pull your owd weight aroudd here. I kdow Courtdey add I are pretty good at haddlidg thidgs, but we’re both sick add we’re dot goidg to get better without your help.” Kristen sat there. She knew Angelica was right.

“I kdow it stidks, but we’re fabily add we deed your help. Just like we help you all the tibe. *sniff.” 

“You’re right. I’m sorry I will. I just really hope you guys are better by tomorrow.” She said.

“If you take care of us today, there’s a good chadce we will, add if ode of us is, you cad go to that codcert.” She squeezed her youngest cousins shoulder.

“Okay. Let’s get you back in bed.” Kristen went into overdrive. She tended to every need her two cousins had that day. 

“Here Angelica. An ice pack for your headache. Court, let’s see what that temperature is right now. Oh and a fresh box of tissues.” She planted a box of tissues in the middle of the bed, planted a thermometer under Courtney’s tongue, and an ice pack on Angelica’s head.

The day wore on. Cough syrup and throat lozenges for Courtney’s cough. Aspirin for Angelica’s aches. Nasal spray for their congestion. Mugs of tea, bowls of soup, glasses of juice, bottles of water, plates of fresh fruit. They were both well cared for. By nightfall, both of them were well on the road to recovery and fell asleep very easily with a dose of NyQuil.

————

The next day, Angelica was feeling completely better. Three days in bed should’ve done that. She was dressed in a college sweater, jeans, and short socks. Courtney came downstairs around 11, still a little sick but improving. She was in a blue long-sleeved t-shirt and black yoga pants. She was very congested still so Angelica poured a bowl of steaming hot water and made her sit at the kitchen table, her face in the bowl with a towel over her head. After a bit, it did the trick.

“Hep-CHOO HuSHOOOOO! HAICHOOOOO!” She sneezed several times before blowing her nose.

“I bet that’s better.” Angelica said.

“Hey it’s after twelve. Shouldd’t Kristed be gettidg ready for the codcert?” Courtney asked.

As if on cue, the youngest cousin appeared. She had picked out her outfit for tonight’s concert days ago. An old Taylor Swift t-shirt under a black flannel shirt, black ripped jeans, and white sneakers. She had none of that on and instead wore a black zip-up sweatshirt, gray sweatpants, and slides. She wore no makeup and her hair was in a lose ponytail.

“Hey Kristen, are you sure you’re ready for the show? Is that what you’re wearing?” Angelica asked.

“I’b godda chadge Id a bidute. I got a slow start today.” She said very tiredly.

“Are you sure you feel like going? You seem a little under the weather.” 

“Oh i probise I’b fi- fi-FACHOOO! Fide.” She sneezed openly all over the kitchen table. Courtney and Angelica gave each other a look.

———-

“Say Ahhhhh.” Dr. Elsie was back for the third time this week. Kristen now lay in bed in her red pajamas with black polka dots. The doctor was shining her light down her throat, holding Kristen’s tongue out with a dispenser.

“Well, this flu has made it around the house. Congratulations Kristen, you’ve earned a three day stay in bed. I’m sure that they’ll take just as good care of you as you took care of them. Let me know if you need anything.” 

Once the doctor left, Angelica began preparing tea. Courtney was in Angelica’s room checking on the newest patient.

“I’b sorry you’re bissidg the codcert.” She said.

“It’s okay. I’b sorry I wasd’t helpful earlier whed you were really sick.”

“It’s okay. The good dews is you cad relax id bed dow. Cad I do adythidg for you dow?”

“Cad you adjust the bed actually? I’b dot super comfortable.” Kristen said.

“Sure!” Courtney said with a smile, hit a button and sent the end of the bed flying in the air, just like what Kristen did to them.

“Anything for you.” Courtney said as she tickled Kristen’s bare feet that were in the air.

“Okay. I eardded that.” Kristen said with a laugh. She was in for a long couple days.

The end

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I’m sorry if this story is a little longer than others but I really wanted to get this all in one take. As I’m sure others here do, I’ve always loved a good sick episode trope on TV. I decided to come up with one and wrote it out kind of sort of like a script. The jokes in this are pretty lame but remember how old sitcoms can be. Please let me know what you think!

This Week’s Episode

They said there wasn’t room for a family sitcom in today’s market. Audiences wanted prestige, bingeable content that could watch all at once is what the marketing geniuses said. While this was mostly true, there was one that still captivated the nation.

“Our Atypical Family” aired on Monday nights and had a large audience. It followed the lives of one family: Single mom Stephanie who was a successful real estate agent and was about 47 years old. She had a tendency to be a bit of a workaholic and that sometimes caused issues with her two daughters. 

Chrissy was 23 and attended a local college to become a writer. Her younger sister, Erin, was 20, and attended the same school to become a teacher. 

The unlikely glue that held the family together was Aunt Rose. Rose was Stephanie’s much younger sister. She was 32 and had more in common with her nieces than her sister. She was a yoga instructor and a free spirit. At the shows beginning, she is in need of a place to stay and moved into the family’s attic. Though she clashes with her sister on occasion, she helps reinforce how everyone’s difference make them a family.

Most episodes follow common sitcom tropes and America are it up every week. On this newest episode, viewers will get to see the family rely on each other in very different ways.

The theme song plays over the opening credits. It shows each family member in their truest-to-character selves. Stephanie walks in the front door wearing a gray business suit, carrying groceries in both hands while holding her cell phone to her ear with her shoulder. Rose practices yoga in the living room, wearing a tank-top and yoga pants. Then, in the kitchen, the peppy Erin can be seen practicing singing, while the more introverted Chrissy rolls her eyes as she tries to read a book at the table. The song and credits conclude with the four of them watching TV and sharing the couch, laughing together.

After the credits, the episode opens in the kitchen, it is a typical weekday morning and everyone is trying to get ready for their day and eat breakfast. Erin is sitting at the table, eating cereal, her eyes glued to a small TV kept on the counter that was playing the morning news. Chrissy sits down next to her with a glass of orange juice, her nose in a book as usual. The news anchor can be heard.

Anchor: And in our health watch today, it’s an almost record breaking year for the common cold. Doctors report cases have increased almost 30 percent from last year and schools and offices report noticeably more sick days being taken by students and employees respectively. What you can do to protect yourself after the break. 

Chrissy doesn’t acknowledge the report, but Erin is staring in horror. Stephanie comes through the kitchen, wearing a white polo with her real estate logo on it, khakis, and flats. She turns the TV off.

S: You guys better hurry up. Your bus will be here soon and the next one isn’t for another thirty minutes after that.

E: I can’t go to that campus. Not with all those cretins coughing and wheezing all over the place.

Rose comes in the kitchen. She is dressed in a long-sleeved t-shirt, black yoga pants, and white running shoes.

R: Did I hear cretins? You’re not talking about my ex, Joey right?

S: Was that the janitor?

R: No, the hockey player. He was missing so many teeth, kissing him was like shooting a puck through a net.

*Laugh track plays*

S: Lovely. And Erin, you’re a big girl in college. You still have to go to class no matter how many coughing wheezing cretins there are.

Erin rolls her eyes and begins to protest, but she is cut off by Chrissy.

C : Relax, Erin. Those numbers the news reports are inflated anyway. Plenty of germaphobe like you get a whiff of allergens and all of sudden claim they’re sick. Nobody’s going to catch anything.

E: Easy for you to say. For you to catch something you’d actually have to go near another person.

*Laugh track plays*

Chrissy begins to hold up her middle finger but Stephanie shoves it down gently.

S: Now you’re really going to be late. I love you both now go kill each other away from here.

*Laugh track plays*

The sisters grab their things and head out the back door. It is worth noting that Erin is dressed in a pink sweater, blue jeans, and white sneakers while Chrissy is dressed in a red flannel, black t-shirt, black jeans, and black boots. Once they leave, Rose and Stephanie look at each other.

R: Do you ever think the two of them going to the same college was a good idea?

S: Well if they kill each other, at least it’ll be on someone else’s property.

*Laugh track plays*

** Cut to commercial **

After the break, a transitional still of the family’s house’s exterior is shown while an instrumental of the theme song plays briefly.

Then it cuts to the back door opening. In walks Rose followed by Chrissy.

R: I’m glad you called me. I wouldn’t want you sitting on the bus like this.

Chrissy brings a tissue to her face. Her nose is pinker than this morning. 

C : HaiCHOOO! Ugh the odly place I wadt to sit is id by bed.

*Laugh track plays *

She blows her nose. Her voice is noticeably stuffy and she crosses her arms and holds her body. She is clearly cold.

R: And you’re going there right now. Youre coming down with something awful. 

Chrissy wastes no time and trudged upstairs. The next scene cuts to a bedroom. It’s clearly Chrissy’s bedroom as there are pink rock posters all over the walls. Chrissy sits on the bed and takes off her boots, revealing her white socks before getting under the covers. She reaches over to the nightstand and grabs a box of tissues. Just is time too because:

C : HaiSHOOO! Ugh this sucks!

She sneezes into the tissue before crumpling it up and dropping it on the bed. There is a knock at the door.

C : Cobe id 

Rose enters the room carrying a steaming mug.

C : Oh perfect. Tea soudds great. 

She takes the mug and immediately makes a face.

R: Not tea. This little concoction helps all of my yoga students get over any ailment. It’s my secret blend of natural herbs.

Chrissy is still inspecting the mug.

C : I’b dot godda hallucidate ab I? *sniff

*Laugh track plays*

R: No, that only happened once and that’s because I used … never mind. Just try it.

Chrissy closes her eyes and takes a gulp. She leans forward and immediately spits it out.

C : Audt Rose, What the hell was that?

*Laugh track plays*

R: I knew you wouldn’t get it.

Another transitional shot of the house is used before cutting to the next scene.

Entering through the back door is Stephanie after a real estate showing. She takes off her flats to reveal her black no-show socks. In walks Rose carrying the mug.

S: How’s our patient?

R: She has one nasty bug. And she doesn’t seem to want to get better anytime soon.

She hold up the mug and Stephanie rolls her eyes.

S: How many times so I have to tell you: no hippie concoctions in the house!

*Laugh track plays*

R: Trust me on this one. It’s foolproof. When I heard Chrissy was sick, I made one for myself as a preventative measure. No germs can penetrate this immune system now.

S: I think that’s because of the smell more than anything.

*Laugh track plays*

The back door opens again and in walks Erin. 

E: Is everything okay? I got a text from Chrissy saying not to wait for her.

Before anyone can answer a loud noise can be hear from upstairs. It’s a loud “HaiCHOO!” From Chrissy. Erin’s expression goes blank. 

E: Are you kidding me? After she told me I was being dramatic this morning? Now we’re all going to catch this.

S: Well not your aunt. She has a magic cure for the common cold.

E: Does nobody take me seriously in this house?

Erin huffs and trudged out of the room.

R: I’m sorry did she deny that she was being dramatic?

*Laugh track plays* 

**Cut to Commercial **

After the break a transitional shot of the exterior of the family house at night is shown. Erin has quarantined herself in her bedroom while Rose cleans Chrissy’s bed and throws out the used tissues. Chrissy has now changed into a pair of green plaid pajamas and is fast asleep. Rose also shuts off her TV before heading to Stephanie’s room. Stephanie is in bed, reading a book before turning out the light.

S: How is she?

R: Okay. Still very sick, but she fell asleep watching “Beauty and the Beast” just like when she was a kid.

S: Sweet. You did an really good job taking care of her today. You must’ve learned from your older sister.

*Laugh track plays*

R: What are you talking about?

S: I took care of you all the time when you got sick. What do you mean?

R: I remember. I remember you being really bad at it.

*Laugh track plays*

Stephanie looks surprised and annoyed.

S: I took excellent care of you.

R: Remember when I was in high school and had the chicken pox and you gave me anti-itch cream that turned out to be Mom’s face cream? And then I had an allergic reaction and was twice as itchy?

*Laugh track plays*

S: Oh my God that was almost twenty years ago.

R: I still think about it when I have an itch.

*Laugh track plays*

R: I’m just glad I don’t have to live through your care again. HupSHOOOOO!

Rose let’s put a large uncovered sneeze and finishes with a surprised look on her face.

S: Looks like someone is catching a cold.

R: Do. Dot at all. It’s just a sdeeze. HupCHOOO!

A transitional shot of the house exterior in the morning is shown. The camera cuts to Stephanie’s bedroom again. It moves across the bed, revealing Chrissy sitting up in bed. She now has an ice pack on her head. The camera slowly pans to her left and we now see Rose sitting up in bed next to her. Her hair is up and she is wearing purple silk pajamas. There is a thermometer in her mouth. It begins to beep. A hand takes it out of her mouth. The camera cuts to a wide shot of the room. Stephanie is the one who grabbed the thermometer. The whole bed can be seen. There are already used tissues all over and both sick women’s bare feet can be seen at the end of the bed.

S: 99.5. Not as bad as I thought, but you’re not going anywhere today I’m afraid.

R: *sniff* I dod’t wadt to go adywhere today.

C : HaiCHOOO! Be diether.

Erin appears in the room and sees two sick people in the bed and has a look of disgust on her face.

E: Oh my God! This is what you get for making fun of me yesterday! 

Her voice is very loud and the two patients grab their temples.

R: I dod’t rebebber her beidg so loud id the bordidg.

C : I do. HaiCHOO!

*Laugh track plays*

Erin rolls her eyes and leaves for class, still very annoyed. Stephanie reached over and adjusts Chrissy’s ice pack. 

S: Well lucky for you both, my showings canceled for today so I can be here for you both. Now, what can I get you?

Both girls answer simultaneously.

R: Sobe bedicide would be dice. Add baybe dove fresh fruit. Oh add sobe Vaporub.

C : Adother box of tissues. Add a bug of tea. A foot rub would also be dice.

*laugh track plays*

Stephanie looks in amusement. 

S: I’ll get right on that.

She lovingly pinches her sister and daughter’s big toes and leaves the room.

*Laugh track plays*

Another transitional shot of the house exterior.

It is now the afternoon. Chrissy and Rose haven’t left the bed. Used tissues now take up the entire top of the bed. There is a humidifier running on the nightstand next to Rose, who has a cool rag on her forehead. Chrissy is blowing her nose into her hundredth tissues of the day. Stephanie comes in the room bearing two mugs. She is dressed in a gray sweater, jeans, and white socks.

S: Here we are. Tea with honey and hot chocolate for the baby. 

The tea goes to Chrissy and the hot chocolate goes to Rose.

*Laugh track plays*

C : Thadks, Bob. *sniff*

R: Thadk you, Steph. I take back everythidg I said earlier. You’re great at takidg care of us.

C : I really dod’t kdow what we’d do without you.

S: Well, you don’t have to worry. As long as I’m he- ETSHOOOOO!

Stephanie sneezes so hard she bends over. 

*laugh track plays*

Rose and Chrissy look at each other.

S: Do. It’s dot what you thidk. ETCHOOO!

R: Get your pajabas od add joid us.

C : Right. There’s do use dedyidg it.

An immediate cut of the camera takes us to the back door. Erin comes through , now home from class. She finds the kitchen empty and is confused.

E: Mom?

She walks upstairs. And pokes into the bedrooms, but nobody is to be found. 

E: Chrissy? Aunt Rose?

The camera follows her face as she wanders back downstairs and heads to the living room. Upon opening the door, her expression turns from confusion to shock then to disgust.

E: What. Happened.

The camera pans around and all three women are now sick and on the couch. Chrissy on one end with her feet up on the coffee table. She had a blanket wrapped around her. In the middle is Rose, who is sitting cross-legged. On the other end is Stephanie, now in her white robe, red polka-dotted pajamas, and slippers her legs are crossed right over left on the table. Just like the bed, used tissues are all over the living room.

S: EpCHOOO! Hi Erid. As you cad see I bay be udder the weather.

*Laugh track plays*

E: May be under the weather? You’re so far under the weather, you’re practically underground!

*Laugh track plays*

R: I’b glad you’re here, Erid. We were all just sayidg that we’re a little hudgry. Cad you bake us sobe soup.

E: Are you kidding me? I have to get out of here now.

C : I told you she wouldd’t help us. HepSHOOOO! She’s scared of sobe teedy tidy gerbs.

S: * sniff* Erid, cobe od. We deed you. We’d do the sabe for you.

Erin looks around at her mom, aunt, and sister all clearly miserably sick. After a moment she throws her hands up.

E: Okay fine. 

The camera cuts and a small montage begins. It shows Erin bringing out three bowls of soup. Then she takes Stephanie’s temperature. Then she replaces everybody’s tissue box and cleans up the used ones with a disgusted look on her face. She spoons medicine into Chrissy’s mouth who takes it begrudgingly. Erin jokingly gives her a congratulatory Pat on the knee. Then she gives Rose a glass of juice while giving her mom aspirin. She crumpled up two tissues and puts one up each of Chrissy’s nostrils. Chrissy rolls her eyes at how gross she is, and Erin playfully squeezes her big toe. The montage concludes later that night, with all three sick women asleep in their beds, Erin stands in the hallway, listening to light snoring coming from all bedrooms.

E: What a bunch of babies. 

Erin shakes her head and smiles to herself as she says this before leaving to her room.

*Laugh track plays*

**Cut to Commercial **

After the final break, a transitional shot of the house is shown in the morning. A text appears onscreen that reads: Two Days Later

The camera cuts to Rose sitting in the kitchen. She appears much healthier.

R: Man, I’m glad I’m over that cold.

The camera cuts to Stephanie, also much healthier. 

S: One hundred percent. That was one of the worst illnesses I’ve ever had.

The camera cuts to Chrissy, also healthy again.

C : That was awful. I wouldn’t wish that cold on my worst enemy.

S: Can you take this upstairs?

She passes a glass of orange juice to Chrissy, who is back to wearing her usual punk rock t-shirts, dark jeans, and boots. She takes the glass and heads up. The camera cuts to a door opening and Chrissy appearing with the juice. She smiles.

C : Hey you. You’re looking better.

The camera cuts to Erin, who is lying in bed with a pink nose, messy hair, and pale skin. Her bright and colorful clothes have been replaced by warm, blue-striped pajamas and her pink robe. She has a box of tissues next to her and several used ones all over the bed. Her bare feet stick out from the covers.

*Laugh track plays*

E: Shut up. This is the worst. I feel like I’b dyidg. IPCHOOOO!

C : You’re not dying, it’s only a cold. But I’m sorry we got you sick. Especially after you took such good care of us. 

E: *sniff* It’s okay. I felt bad you all were so sick. 

C : Well I’m here now to return the favor. What can I get you? 

E: ItCHOOO! Could I have sobe ice creab? By throat is killidg be.

C : Of course.

Chrissy lovingly pinches Erin’s big toe before the shot freezes and the credits begin to roll. 

Tune in next week!

THE END

I’ve always loved a good sick episode. I can definitely see this in my mind and I loved that you even added exterior shots!

11 hours ago, chronic reader said:

I’ve always loved a good sick episode. I can definitely see this in my mind and I loved that you even added exterior shots!

Thank you! I was looking back at my other stories not long ago and realized that I borrow a lot from these episodes from shows I loved growing up. It was fun putting this together.

Ah the sick episode. Such a great trope that is, sadly, so underused in shows (adult shows at least). No one can do a sick episode like sitcoms. A great idea for a story and a lovely execution.

Also:

On 4/28/2023 at 2:09 AM, jke1995 said:

I’m sorry if this story is a little longer than others

I don't see any reason to be sorry about this 😉

• 4 weeks later...

Almost Never

Saturday morning. Perhaps the most relaxing time of the week. Laura sure thought so as she sat at her kitchen table sipping coffee. She was grateful for it because there was a lot to do today. She and her roommate, Jenny, had a bunch of errands to run, plus she squeezed in her yearly physical with her doctor. Then, later that night, they were attending a surprise birthday party for one of their friends from college. It was still early, but Laura kept checking her phone. Normally, Jenny was awake by now, and it was unusual for her to sleep in on a day she knew they were so busy.

Just as she was about to wake her up, Jenny appeared in the kitchen. She was dressed in yoga pants, gray sweatshirt, and white socks. It was her normal weekend attire but something was off. She seemed, well, tired.

“Good morning.” Laura said as she sipped her coffee.

“Good bordidg. *sniff*” Jenny replied.

“Are you going to be ready to leave soon? We have a lot to do today.” Laura said, checking her phone.

“Oh yea. Just let be get by HAICHOOOO! Shoes.” Jenny had sneezed into her elbow.

“Are you okay?”

“Of course. Why wouldd’t I be?” 

“You sound like you’re catching a cold.”

“Dod’t be ridiculous. You kdow I dever get sick.”

“Right. How could I forget? You just seem very congested is all.” Laura tried not to roll her eyes. Jenny loved to brag about how good her immune system was and how she never got sick. Laura found it annoying especially when she was sick herself.

“It’s just dorbal bordidg sdiffles. They’ll go away sood. *sniff*”

“Alright, we’ll let’s head out. We have a lot to do.” 

They put on their shoes and headed out. Their first stop was the bakery. Jenny was put in charge of ordering their friend’s cake. It was an old bakery that was famous around their city. The roommates drove over.

“Hello how can I help you?” The girl behind the counter asked.

“I’b pickidg up ad order. It’s udder Jeddifer.” Jenny said, still congested. 

“Yep, right here. One large ice cream cake. Is there anything else we can get you?” The baker asked.

“Do that’ll be all HuhSHOOOO! Oh excuse be.” Jenny had sneezed right in the poor baker’s face. She looked really annoyed. Jenny quietly paid, took the cake, and the two left. 

“Are you sure you’re not coming down with anything?” Laura asked back in the car.

“Defidetly. I dever get sick. I thidk sobe flour id the air got up by dose.”

“Right. Well let’s keep it moving.” Laura wasn’t buying it, but what could she do? They headed out.

Their next stop was Target. Laura was in charge of picking up decorations. She pushed the cart and scoured the party aisle for balloons, streamers, and anything else they could use. Jenny was behind her and Laura could always tell when she was close because she could hear a steadier chorus of sneezes behind her.

“HarCHHHHH, ESHOOOO! HaCHOOOO!” While Jenny wasn’t looking, Laura snuck a couple boxes of tissues into their cart. She had a hunch they were going to need them. It wasn’t long before they checked out and headed back to the car.

“Last chance to admit you’re getting sick.” Laura said as Jenny blew her nose into a napkin. 

“Dot at all. You could tell how dusty it was id there. Those giadt stores dever clead very well.”

“Sure. But only one of us was sneezing.

Their next stop was their local florist. They had oredered a beautiful bouquet for their friend. 

“Ah yes. This one turned out quite lovely.” The florist said as she brought out their order. 

“Absolutely perfect.” Laura said.

“Yes! I lo-love litChooo! Love it. Excuse be.” Jenny agreed.

“Don’t worry. Happens all the time.” The florist said with a smile. Laura took the flowers and left.

“Those flowers really set be off.” Jenny said back in the car. 

“I didn’t say anything this time.”  Laura said. “Come on. We have to drop this stuff off and then I have to go to the doctor’s office. 

Their friend’s roommate let them in and they put the cake in the fridge. Laura put the flowers in a vase and they hung the decorations. It ended up taking a little bit of time 

“I’m going to be late for my appointment. Do you mind just coming with me?” Laura asked.

“*sniff* Sure! Baybe I could eved give her dove health tips. Sidce I dever get sick.” Jenny said with a congested laugh.

“Uh huh. Come on let’s go.” Laura’s doctor was actually their neighbor, Mallory. Mallory lived across the hall and was pretty good friends with Laura and Jenny.

Once they arrived at the doctor’s office, Laura checked in with reception and waited for her appointment.

After about 10 minutes, Mallory appeared in her white coat.

“Hi Laura, are you ready?”

Laura got up and walked up to her. Jenny was sitting in the chair blowing her nose. Laura whispered something in Mallory’s ear. Mallory looked her, smiled, and nodded.

“Hey Jenny, you can come back too. It’s no big deal.”

“*sniff Odly if you’re sure.” She got up and followed them. She gave Laura privacy as she changed from her sweatshirt, jeans, and Birkenstock sandals to a gown.

Once she changed, Mallory conducted her exam. She measured height and weight, took her temperature and vital signs, and discussed any changes since her last physical. 

“Well Laura, I’m giving you a clean bill of health. We’re actually done a little bit early. Jenny, how about you get up on the exam table?” Dr. Mallory suggested.

“Oh do. I dod’d do doctors.” Jenny said.

“You see, she never gets sick.” Laura said semi sarcastically.

“I know but I’m bored. Let’s do it for fun. I won’t make you put in a gown.”

“Okay fide.” Jenny hopped onto the the table. Mallory wrapped the blood pressure gauge around Jenny’s arm while Laura stood behind her. Mallory measured blood pressure and listened to Jenny’s heartbeat with her stethoscope. Then, she brought out her flashlight and exalted her ears and eyes.

“Your eyes are a little bloodshot. Did you get enough sleep last night?” The doctor asked

“Yeah, I got plenty of sleep. *sniff”

“Right. Can you open your mouth and say ‘Ahhh’?” Jenny did as instructed and Mallory helped her tongue with a dispenser while she shined her light.

“You know, Jenny, there’s quite a bit of inflammation in your throat. Has it been sore today?”

“Do. Dot at all. I’ve just beed talking a lot.” Laura tried not to roll her eyes. Mallory next shined the light up Jenny’s nose.

“Jen, your nostrils are filled with mucus. Are you you he been feeling alright?”

“Of course. It’s just super dusty id here add I have allergies.”

“Jenny, we disinfect after every patient. There’s no dust in here.”

“Well, probably by allergies Thed.”

“I’ve known you for years and you’ve never had allergies. I think you have a cold.”

“Dod’t be ridiculous. I dever get sick.”

“Okay. Well there’s one thing we haven’t done.” Mallory stuck a thermometer in Jenny’s mouth. She grumpily stared at Mallory while she waited for it to go off. After it beeped, Mallory grabbed it and read the screen.

“100.2. You have a fever. Jenny, I’m diagnosing you with a case of the flu.”

“It has to be broked because I de- dever heh, dever get- HAICHOO HepSHOOOOO HitCHOOOOOOOOO! Sick.” Jenny had let out a massive sneezing fit. Mallory ducked out of the way, leaving all uncovered sneezes to land in Laura’s face.

—————————

“Heh, Hehhh, HEHCHOOO!”

“Bless you, Jen. Here let’s have some of this.”

It was the morning after the appointment and Mallory had just entered Jenny’s bedroom with a bottle of Day Quil.

“What is that?” Jenny was of course in bed. She wore a short sleeved orange pajamas and shorts.

“Medicine. It’ll help you get over this bug fast. Mallor sat down and poured some on a spoon. She brought it to Jenny’s face. She took it and made a face.

“Gross. People use this stuff?” She said disgustedly.

“Because it works. Trust me I’m a doctor.” She squeezed Jenny’s big toe that was poking out from the covers.

“Cad you keep it dowd please? ItCHOOO!” Next to Jenny, of course, was Laura. Getting sneezed in the face guaranteed her catching this flu as well. She was miserable in her white pajamas and messy bun.

“I’m sorry Laura. I’m going to check your temperature again and then we’ll let you rest.” Mallory left to grab her thermometer.

“I’b sorry I got you sick, Laura. I should’ve just adbitted it yesterday add stayed hobe.” Jenny said.

“Ehhhh EHCHOOOO! It’s okay. It doesd’t happed very often.” Laura said before blowing her nose.

“Yeah, it’s like I always say, I albost dever get sick.” Jenny said with a smile. Laura rolled her eyes, leaned forward, and tickled Jenny’s left foot in response. It was going to be a long couple days.

The end.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 8:16 PM, sneezemeister said:

Loving these last few!

Thank you so much! Hoping you enjoy this next one!

Common Cold Front

Late April was a total crapshoot when it came to weather. One day could bring a blustery snowstorm followed by days of sunshine and warm temperatures. As Grace looked out of her living room window on this particular day it appeared to be the latter. This was good, particularly because she was running a half marathon the next day. She had been running for a couple of years and tomorrow was a big step toward her goal of completing an entire marathon. She had been training hard for a couple of months, and today she wanted to get in one last run before her race the next day.

“Are you sure? Wouldn’t it be better to rest the day before a big race so you can save your energy?” Her roommate, Maggie, asked. 

“I won’t be long. Just want a quick workout while the weather’s so nice.” Grace wore an old sorority tank top, black athletic shorts, and pink running shoes.

“Sounds good. I have some work to do here, but I’ll be around when you come back.” Maggie said as she clicked off their TV. If she had left it on, they would’ve seen a news report warning of a sudden cold front moving their city, dropping temperatures up to 30 degrees Fahrenheit in a matter of minutes. Nevertheless, Grace tied up her hair and headed off.

The first couple of miles went really smoothly. Grace had done an excellent job of building up her endurance the last couple of months. Around mile four, she felt a sharp, cold gust of wind. She was taken so off guard she almost stopped. After letting out a huge shiver, she pressed on. Within minutes though, it was clear the temperature was dropping. People who had been sitting on porches and playing in yards suddenly went inside. Grace kept shuddering in her sleeveless shirt. She thought about turning back for a minute but was determined to finish her run. She completed an eight mile loop but was absolutely freezing by the time she reached her house. She opened the door and stumbled in. Maggie, who had been inside doing work, hadn’t noticed the temperature drop.

“Hey Grace, how did it go? Wait why are you shivering? It’s like 80 degrees outside.” 

“N-no not a-a-a any more.” Grace replied through chattering teeth. Maggie, who was dressed in a short sleeved t-shirt, yoga pants, and socks took a step onto their front porch and felt the air outside.

“Oh my God! And you ran in this? Dressed like that?”

“Y-yes!” 

“Okay, let’s warm you up. And you’re resting for the rest of the day. No sense in losing all your energy before your race.”

Maggie went upstairs and drew a nice hot bath for her friend. She gave Grace privacy as she disrobed in the bathroom and climbed in the tub. It felt good on her body as well as her legs, which were a bit sore from how much training she had put herself through. She sat there for awhile and allowed the warm water to soak her entire body. She was completely submerged with the exception of her head and her tired feet. Once she was finished, she drained the water and donned her fluffy black robe. 

Downstairs, Maggie had a nice mug of tea waiting for her. As she relaxed and sipped her tea, Maggie prepared a nice warm plate of pasta and marinara sauce for dinner, knowing that runners tended to eat carbs like pasta before a race. Grace had to admit, it was delicious. 

“I’m not nearly as cold as I was, but I still am a little chilly. I think I’m going to get in bed and under my covers, I’m pretty tired anyway.” Grace said after dinner.

“Of course. Get some rest before tomorrow.” Maggie said.

Grace went up and got under the covers. She let out a small shiver, curled up, and almost instantly fell asleep. She had to be up early tomorrow.

———-

“I’m sorry, I really thought you’d be fine after you warmed up.”

“Eh-ehhh-ETCHOOO! Apparedtly dot. *sniff” it was the next morning and Grace woke up with a bad cold. She initially wanted to ignore it and run her race, but. Maggie put her foot down. 

Now, Grace lay on the living room sofa, in her robe, a white long-sleeved t-shirt she received at a previous race, and black sweatpants. She glumly stared down at her feet, thinking they should be in her trusty Nikes, running, rather than bare and laid up on the couch.

Maggie had just come in the living room with a cup of coffee, a plate of fresh fruit, and medicine.

“Here we are. Sit up and eat. You’ll feel worse if you don’t”

“What’s the poidt? I traided so hard for this. Dow sobe stupid little cold’s godda stop be? Heh-CHOOOO!” 

“Well I’m gonna say this cold isn’t so little. Besides the cold front that moved through is still here. You would’ve made yourself ten times worse if you went. Now, I’ll bet being nice and warm at home sounds better than that.” Maggie suggested.

“*sniff* you’re right. Cad you do be a favor?”

“Of course.” 

“I’b still pretty cold. Cad you grab be a bladket add sobe socks?”

“I’ll be right back.” Maggie returned a few minutes later with a nice heavy blanket over her shoulder and carried a tub over to the couch.

“HehtSHOOOO! What’s that for?”

“Better than socks. Here.” Maggie grabbed Grace’s feet and lifted them into the tub. It was filled with nice hot water. Grace draped herself in the blanket and felt immensely better. Maggie nurses her for the rest of the day and after another day of rest , Grace felt back to normal.

“Hey Maggie, I’m going for a run. There’s another half marathon in another part of town this weekend and I was just able to sign up!” Grace yelled out as she tied her running shoes. Maggie was sitting on the living room couch, reading a book. She was dressed in a gray sweatshirt, jeans, and white socks.

“*sniff* okay.”

“You alright? You don’t seem like yourself.”

“Oh defiditely. I- I-ITCHOOOO!” Maggie let out a bl huge sneeze into her hands. She looked up embarrassedly at Grace who notice a nice shade of pink developing around her nose.

“On second thought, I’m gonna stay here. Hang on, I’ll fetch the tub.” Grace said as she took off Maggie’s socks and squeezed the sole of her foot. 

She definitely owed her roommate one.

The end.

• 3 weeks later...

Wrong Place, Wrong Time

It can be quite funny how opposites attract. When Jennifer put an ad on the internet for a roommate, she was a little taken aback by Samantha. 

Not that there was anything wrong with her, but they had conflicting personalities to be sure. Sam was bubbly, the life of every party. She had tons of friends and cared for each of them immensely. Then there was Jen. She had her own friends and wasn’t a shut in by any means, but she was very reserved. She liked her own space and hated big crowds, especially at parties. Despite their differences, the two got along perfectly well. 

One particular Friday, the pair was having quite different feelings about their weekend plans.

“Oh come on don’t mope. You agreed to this a month ago. Besides, it’ll be fun! We get to dress up and have cocktails and mingle with people we don’t normally get to talk to.” Sam said with a smile. It was morning and she was sitting at their kitchen table with her morning coffee.

“That’s just it. I don’t want dress up and mingle with anyone, especially people I don’t know.” Jen said while she peeled a banana. 

“Come on, it’s for a good cause. And the drinks are free.”

The two had been invited by a wealthy mutual friend to a charity gala at a fancy hotel. There would be dinner, drinks, dancing, and a charity auction. The two had purchased nice dresses and a new pair of heels for the event. Samantha could hardly wait. Jen wished tomorrow wouldn’t come. 

“I have to get out of this somehow.” Jen said as she looked at her phone.

“Don’t be a baby. You can handle it for one night.” Sam said. Jennifer smiled at her phone. “What are you smiling about all of a sudden?”

“I think I found my way out.” Sam looked perplexed. Jennifer handed her her phone. Samantha read a text from Erica, Jen’s younger sister out loud.

“Hey Jen, I think I’m going to miss our nail appointment today. I’m coming down with a bad cold. I’m probably not leaving my bed.” Sam read and gave her friend a look.

“I am suddenly feeling like a caretaker today. My dear little sister is under the weather and could probably use some care. And I could use some exposure to her germs.” Jennifer said with a devilish grin.

“You can’t be serious. You’re going to try and get sick so you don’t have to go to the gala? That’s a little low.”

“It’ll be honest though when I can’t go because I’m bedridden with a cold.” Jen said before faking a small cough and dramatically putting her hand to her forehead.

“Well do you want but leave me out of it. I don’t want to miss this party and I’m not staying home to take care of you because you caught a cold on purpose.” Sam said before getting up and heading to work.

Jen had a random day off , and she initially planned on spending it with Erica getting her nails done. Instead, she headed over to her apartment with some sick day supplies.

—————-

“*sniff* I really appreciate you cobidg over.” Erica was still in bed, wearing a black crop top and gray sweatpants. There were crumpled tissues all over the bed.

“Of course, you poor thing. I felt bad when I heard you had a cold. Here, let’s take some medicine and get you on the road to recovery.” Jen said. She spooned medicine into Erica’s mouth and went into over drive taking care of her. She cleaned up all the used tissues on the bed. She brewed tea, made a light lunch, and rubbed her sister’s back while she settled in for a nap.

Around 4:0, Erica woke up.

“Ack-SHOOOO! Ugh this cold stidks.”

“I know, I’m sorry what can I get you?” 

“Cad I have a glass of juice? That soudds really good. AtCHOOO!” She sneezed into her elbow.

“Of course.” Jen poured a glass of apple juice in the kitchen and brought it to her. Erica was about to put it to her lips when she was taken by surprise.

“AhSHOOO!” She sneezed directly into her glass. She looked inside the cup and could actually see her snot in it.

“I’b sorry would you be able to get be addother ode? Eved though it’s by sdot, it doesd’t look appealidg ady bore.”

“Of course, I’ll be right back.” Jen took it and poured a new glass. Instead of dumping out the contaminated one, she poured some into a Yeti cup that would keep it cold and preserve the germs. She brought her sister more juice and stayed until about 6. She made sure to grab the juice on her way out.

When she returned home, Samantha was home, relaxing with a glass of wine in the living room.

“How’s your sister?” Was her first question when Jennifer walked in.

“Poor thing is sick as a dog. Sneezing and coughing everywhere. She could hardly get out of bed. I can’t wait for that to be me.”

“God that’s messed up. What’s that in the cup?”

“Apple juice. Personally sneezed into by Erica. Im going to drink it before bed to ensure I catch this bug.” Jen said proudly.

“So gross. Take it upstairs it’s you. I don’t want to mix it up and drink it by accident.” Samantha said.

“Definitely. It’s not like I want you to drink it either.” Jen started to carry the drink upstairs. They had a small loft upstairs which was used as a second living space.

“Hey can you toss down those heels? I want to try them on before tomorrow.” Sam called from downstairs.

“Sure.” Jen set the cup on the ledge and turned to grab the shoes. She went to throw them down, but accidentally knocked one shoe right into the cup, tipping it over. Sam could only watch as she received a face full of juice, and germs.

——————-

“Ehhhh, ETCHOOOO! HerSHOOOO!”

It was the following afternoon. Sam’s heels sat in the corner of her room. They had an open toe to show off her new pedicure to everyone at the party. Her new pedicure was still visible, but that’s because her bare feet were sticking out from her blanket. Sam was still in bed. There were apparently enough germs in that cup to get someone sick. It just turned out to be the wrong person. 

Sam was laying back in her pink plaid pajamas, her nose beat red. There was a box of tissues next to her and a small pile of used ones. She felt utterly miserable.

“Hey you. I brought some lunch.” Jen came in with a tray carrying hot soup and orange juice. She set it down in front of her sick friend.

“You seeb udusally upbeat.” Sam said as she took a bite.

“Well it turns out I could avoid that stupid party without getting sick after all. A sick roommate is also a good excuse.” Jen jokingly squeezed Sam’s big toe.

“EhSHOOO!” Sam had tried to take a sip of juice but ended up sneezing right in it. She looked at it with a gross look on her face, looked back at her roommate teasing her and thought of how she ended up sick in bed. Suddenly, she felt inspired. With one quick motion, she took her glass and threw the contents right in Jennifer’s face. All she could do was sit there in shock.

———————-

*beep*

“Okay let me take a look.” It was now Sunday morning and Erica had come over. She was now feeling much better, which is more than Sam could currently say.

“ItCHOOO!” Oh and Jennifer too. She now lay next to Samantha in a pair of purple paisley pajamas, her hair in a lazy bun. Erica was in the midst of taking her temperature.

“Well, no fever. I’m sorry you guys both caught my cold. What I don’t understand is how Samantha got sick first even though Jen was with me all day on Friday.” Erica said.

“*sniff* Why dod’t you tell her, Jed?” Sam said before blowing her nose.

“It- It- ITCHOOOO! It’s lodg story.” Jennifer said after letting out a sneeze. She sank further into the covers. She was in for a rough couple of days but she knew she deserved it.

The end.