Sneeze Fetish Forum

jke drabbles

jke1995

• 3 months later...

House of Horrors

Late October was Katie’s favorite time of the year. She loved everything Halloween and horror related. She would watch scary movies year-round, but this time of year was special. Her house was always decorated inside and out beginning on October 1st, much to her roommate, Olivia’s chagrin. Olivia liked Halloween, but didn’t like Katie’s obsession with scary stuff. She didn’t like all the horror movies and definitely didn’t like haunted houses, which Katie dragged them to constantly. What bothered Olivia most of all was that she was scared of so many things and Katie was scared of nothing. Well, almost nothing.

“Oh my God, I can’t wait. This one is supposed to be the best haunted house in the state.” Katie beamed as she and Olivia pulled up to the Devil’s Lair Haunted House and Carnival, a town over from where they lived. Katie was dressed in a red plaid flannel, black t-shirt with Freddy Kruger’s face on it, black jeans, and black Doc Martens. On the other hand, Olivia wore a purple sweatshirt, light blue jeans, and white sneakers. They were meeting Katie’s girlfriend, Natalie, her sister, Rosanna, her best friend, Paulina, and her co-worker, Sarah. 

Olivia was definitely the odd person out as Katie’s friends all loved this kind of stuff. She trembled with fear and anxiety as they got closer in line. All in all, it was a typical haunted house. Most of the girls were unimpressed, but Olivia was very freaked out. Bloody guys with chainsaws, screaming damsels in distress, and clowns laughing maniacally in her face was not her idea of a good time. Olivia was relieved once they were through. The group decided to grab some food and drinks and hang out at the carnival. While they were in line, Katie teased her roommate. 

“Did you check to see if you pissed yourself?” Katie asked sarcastically as she grabbed Olivia’s shoulders.

“Seriously, you screamed louder than the actors. I think you should sign up to work here.”

Olivia was annoyed and was about to say something but was eavesdropping on the two girls next their group as they waited for drinks.

“This cider is great for by throat, but I thidk we bight have to go sood. I thidk I’b cobidg dowd with sobethidg.” One of them said. What happened next, Olivia found very peculiar.

“HaiTCHOOOO!” The sick girl let out a large sneeze. This itself wasn’t peculiar since Olivia heard her say she was sick. What was interesting was that even though she covered her mouth, Katie flinched and moved away from her direction. One might say that the sneeze freaked Katie out. As the sick girl and her friend left, she let out another sneeze.

“Hai CHOOO! Oh bad, I just wadt to be hobe add id bed.” She said. This sneeze was uncovered and landed in Sarah’s direction, but she didn’t seem to notice.

The rest of the night was pretty fun for Olivia. They are and drank and played carnival games. Katie’s teasing was annoying but Olivia had a hunch she wasn’t totally fearless.

The next day was Friday. Three days until Halloween. Olivia was greeted by Katie, who was wearing a very realistic werewolf mask. Olivia was very startled and Katie thought it was extremely funny. 

Olivia was annoyed her whole way to work. About halfway through her day she checked Instagram stories and found one from Sarah. She wasn’t at her office. She was in bed. She had taken a selfie of her in bed with a tissue up each nostril . The caption read: only thing I took home from the haunted house was this monster of a cold.

Olivia sent her a text.

O : Hey I saw your story. Are you feeling okay?

Moments later, Sarah replied.

S : I woke up feeling a little sniffly but fine otherwise. I went to work but got worse as the day went on. Our boss sent me home around noon.

O : I’m sorry. That sucks! I’ll stop by after work and bring you some sick day stuff 🤒

S : I’d love that so much! I’m just wasting away here in bed lol. 

Olivia was a teacher who went straight home after class let out at 3. She changed into more comfortable clothes and came downstairs to find Katie home. She was scrubbing their bathroom sink ferociously.

“Hey Katie. What’s up?”

“Oh just cleaning the bathroom. Sarah was sent home sick and I don’t want her germs to sit in here.” Olivia’s suspension was correct. Katie was scared of getting sick.

“Yeah I saw. Poor thing. Hey I have plans tonight, I’ll be home later.”

“No problem!” Katie said without looking up from her cleaning. Olivia hopped in her car and drove to her nearest pharmacy. She bought tissues, soup, juice, tea bags, medicine, and a magazine. She drove over to Sarah’s place.

Sarah had texted her that the door was open and to let herself in. Olivia did and found Sarah in bed. She was wearing blue striped pajamas, her glasses, and a lazy ponytail.

“Thadks for cobidg. HuiCHOOO! As you cad see I’b dot id the best codditiod.” 

“That’s okay. I brought you supplies to help you make it through.” Olivia sat on the bed and the two chatted for awhile.

“You kdow, the fuddiest thidg happeded today. Whed Katie saw how sick I was, she wouldd’t cobe dear be. *sniff.”

“That is funny. Especially since she’s been disinfecting our entire house since she got home.” Olivia said.

“Hui SHOO! Weird. I didd’t kdow she was such a gerbaphobe. I bead she likes all that horror stuff add she’s afraid of gettidg sick?” Sarah said. 

Suddenly , Olivia had an idea.

————-

Katie woke up the next morning excited. She had plans to hit another haunted house, catch a scary movie at the drive-in theater, and swing by a friend’s party. She was worried when Sarah showed up to work sick yesterday that she would catch it and have to miss Halloween. Katie had felt like she had done a good job cleaning the house yesterday, so her and Olivia could avoid whatever bug got Sarah.

Speaking of Olivia, Katie had found a bloody Jason mask in their attic that would be perfect to scare her when she woke up. She heard stirring upstairs and got into position. She was right in front of Olivia’s door and saw the knob turn. It started to open and Katie got ready to scare her roommate. Olivia began to appear and -

“HarCHOOOO! HaSHHHHH!” Olivia let a pair of sneezes go, partially spraying Katie’s mask. She backed away in horror, ripping the mask off of her face. Olivia stood in front of her. Still in her green plaid pajamas and robe, Katie quickly noticed that Olivia’s hair was all over the place. She hoped it was just bedhead.

“*sniff* Katie, I dod’t feel so good. I thidk I caught a cold.” Olivia blew her nose for a dramatic effect.

“You need to get into bed and stay there. I can’t stay here.”

“But ared’t you godda take care of be? I’b way too sick to be by byself. HeTsHOOO!” 

“I’m sorry but you can’t be out of your room. “ Katie nudged her back into her room and onto her bed. Katie ran out and shut Olivia’s door behind her. Olivia grinned, kicked off her flip flops, and got back into bed. Her plan was working.

Katie had called Natalie and asked to stay with her. Natalie agreed and said she would pick her up. When Natalie got to the house, she opened the door with her spare key. Instead of looking for Katie, she went up to Olivia’s bedroom.

“Thadks for cobidg.” Olivia said. There was a growing pile of used tissues next to her on the bed.

“Of course. Let’s make this quick before Katie realizes I’m here.” 

“Yes, luckily I’b very HehCHOOOO! Sdeezy.” Olivia sneezed uncovered and sprayed Natalie’s face. She did this several times for about ten minutes.

When Natalie decided she had enough sneezes, she went and found her girlfriend in the kitchen, scrubbing away, and wearing a surgical mask.

“Hey honey, are you needed in surgery?” She teased. 

“Very funny. You shouldn’t be in here right now. I haven’t disinfected everything yet.” Katie said.

“Well if you’re leaving for the weekend, it doesn’t matter if Olivia’s the only one here.” 

“Fine. Let’s get out of here.” Natalie and Katie left.

That afternoon, Paulina and Rosanna came over to the house with Sarah, who crawled into bed next to Olivia. The two healthy girls took care of their sick friends and were treated to being openly sneezed on, coughed on, and breathed on. The four also shared drinks. By that evening, Olivia fell asleep peacefully, knowing her plan was in full effect. 

That night, Katie and Natalie went through the haunted house, saw the scary movie at the drive in, and swung by the party. But Katie couldn’t relax during any of it. She kept thinking of Olivia and Sarah’s nasty colds that were plaguing them. She desperately didn’t want that. She was glad she could stay at Natalie’s. That was her thought that night as the two went to bed. At least the germs couldn’t get her here.

Katie got a very good night’s sleep until she was woken up by a sound.

“Hai TSHIII!” Natalie was sitting up in bed, her hands covering her mouth and nose. 

“Natalie? Was that you?” Katie asked still half asleep.

“HaiCHIIII! Ugh, yeah. I’b sorry Katie, I thidk I have a cold. I’b godda have to stay id bed today.” She said, already very congested.

“Oh. My God. I have to get out of here.” Katie said as she hopped out of bed and began changing. 

“You’re dot godda take care of be? I’b your girlfriedd!” Natalie said with a cough.

“I’m sorry honey. I’ll be back I just need to properly prepare. I love you but I won’t kiss you.” Katie said before heading for the door. Natalie would’ve been upset if this wasn’t part of a grander plan. 

Katie headed over to Paulina’s place. She was a clean person after all. She knocked on the apartment door and almost screamed when Paulina opened it. There Paulina stood in a black camisole, gray sweatpants, and moccasins. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. And a tissue box in her hand.

“HaSHOOO! Hi Katie. I wish you had texted be, I’b Kidd of sick add I’b dot doidg adythidg today.” Katie didn’t even reply. She booked it out of the building and headed for her mom’s house. 

She was relieved to see her mom standing in the doorway, healthy as can be.

“Hi sweetie. It’s good to see you. Your sister’s in her room if you want to see her. Katie climbed the stairs and opened the door to her sister’s room. 

Rosanna was in bed. Her hair up in a bun, she sipped on tea.

“Rosie? Are you…..”

“ITCHOOO! As a dog, Katie. Did you dove to take care of be?”

“No, I have to go!” Katie was panicking. She left and spent a couple of hours at a coffee shop debating what to do. She finally decided she would go home and quarantine in her room until Olivia was better. 

When she got back to her house, she unlocked the door and found everything in the living room dark except for a couple of candles. 

“What the?” Then she heard it.

“ICHOOOO!”  Sitting on the sofa, wrapped in a blanket, soaking her feet in hot water was her sister.

“Rosie? What are you doing here?” 

“A little scaridg of our owd.” Was all she said as she stood up and began walking toward Katie. 

“What do you mean? And what do you mean our?” Katie said as she tried backing away. She headed for the kitchen, which was also candlelit.  Sitting at the table was Sarah and Paulina. They stood up once they saw Katie.

“HaSHOOOO! Katie will you bake us sobe soup? We’re so hudgry.” 

“Hui CHOOOOO! How about sobe tea? By throat is killidg be.” Sarah said as they joined Rosanna and began following Katie. She headed upstairs as quickly as she could, and ended up in the bathroom. She ran in and was pushed by someone. She fell right into their bathtub, which had been filled with ice cold water. She emerged, soaked to the bone.  She climbed out of the tub, and looked for who pushed her. It was none other than Natalie. 

“Suprise, hodey! Oh I’b sorry did you trip?” Katie ducked out of the bathroom and into her bedroom. She would at least be safe there. She tried to climb into her bed, but found it occupied. She pulled back the blanket from the end of the bed and suddenly felt a foot. She looked up and saw, Olivia.

“EPCHOOOO! Hi roobie. Isd’t it fud whed your friedds scare you?” She asked. Katie looked back and saw the other girls close in on her.

“Nooooooo!” Was all she could scream.

————-

The next day was Halloween. The best day of the year to a lot of people like Katie. Anyone who was anyone was dressed up, going to parties, handing out candy, and watching scary movies.

“Ehh Eh, EHCHOOOOO! Oh by God!” Everyone that is except Katie.

“Add for didder, a special witch’s brew. I bead chicked soup.” Olivia walked into Katie’s bedroom carrying a tray with a bowl of soup and a mug of tea. She was still a little sick herself, but was doing much better than her roommate. Katie had woken up sicker than all of her friends put together. Instead of her spooky witch costume, she was uncharacteristically in pink floral pajamas, her warmed pair. She hadn’t left her bed today. 

“Dod’t patrodize be. You guys all got be sick od purpose.” Katie groaned, her arms folded as Olivia stuck a thermometer under her tongue.

“Well, we just thought that sidce you like playidg tricks add scaridg people, we could trick you with what you’re scared of.” Olivia said, squeezing Katie’s big toe at the end of the bed.

“Add scared you were.” Natalie had entered the room, her white robe over an old t shirt and gray sweatpants. She sat on the bed and took her girlfriend’s foot in her Leo and began rubbing it. Olivia checked the thermometer.

“Didety dide poidt three. Your fever is way dowd. I thidk you’ll be over this cold quickly.” She said cheerfully. 

“EhhhSCHOO!” All Katie could was reply with a sneeze. She blew her nose and laid back. Missing Halloween was hard, but she knew she had a couple of days to stay in bed and reflect on how she treated her friends.

The end 

This one was quite sweet! I like how so many people are "in" on the intentional contagion scheme, but then the end result is caretaking and spending time together (and possibly a little more empathy for others on Katie's end.) 

Hi everyone, I had so much writing a Drabble in the style of a sitcom awhile back, that I decided to try another story in the same style. Please let me know what you think!

All Walks of Life

Airing after “Our Atypical Family” was another show that did extremely well in the ratings.

“All Walks of Life” was a sitcom that focused on five college girls who could not have been more different from each other. At the series’s beginning, each girl finds themselves without a roommate for various reasons. The university’s solution was to house them in one large dorm room. This leads to conflict as each of them has little in common but they grow to love each other as the series progresses.

The girls are: 1. Allison, a preppy sorority girl. 2. Chelsea, a tomboy and starting midfielder for the university’s soccer team. 3. Emily, a nerdy premed student who is very smart but socially awkward. 4. Rebecca, a skater girl with a rebellious streak. 5. Katie, a girl next door who doesn’t fit in to just one clique. This causes her to be the center of a lot of episodes as she helps her friends resolve their differences.

Season Three finds the group now living off campus in a large but rickety old house. Each episode still focuses on their differences but ultimately are brought closer by the end. Tonight’s episode begins in the fall of junior year. 

After the opening credits, it is a typical Wednesday night at the girls’ house. Rebecca is lounging in the couch, watching tv. She wears a blink-182 t-shirt, tight black jeans, and black socks. Katie and Emily are sitting at the kitchen table. Emily is doing homework while Katie reads the school paper. Chelsea comes in from practice and begins making a smoothie. Emily and Katie shoot her an angry look as the blender starts. 

*laugh track plays*

C : Oh my bad. It’s just my post practice ritual. I have one of these things each night.

E: I know. I’ve conditioned myself to study with the sound of the blender and the smell of someone who just spent three hours in the soccer field.

*laugh track plays*

C : Great, then you can go back to studying. I’m going to take a shower anyway
Chelsea leaves and Emily returns to her laptop. It’s not long before she is interrupted by Allison who is on her cell phone.

A: You’re serious? Shut up! No you ! Shut up! Okay. Okay! Shut up! I’ll see you tomorrow!! Byeeee!
She hangs up.

E: Finally someone shut up. Ow!

*laugh track plays*

Emily looks down and sees Katie kicked her shin.

K: Who was that, Allison?

A: Our social chair, Grace. Apparently, Sigma Chi wants to host our sorority for a private party Friday night.

E: Okay now she can shut up. Oww!

*Laugh track plays*

Katie send Emily another kick.

K: They never do anything with anyone. They’re supposed to be the most exclusive house on campus. That’s awesome.

A: Yep! I’ve been waiting for two and a half years for them to have an event with us. I can’t wait to see the inside of that beautiful house and those beautiful men. I have so much to do now. 

Allison leaves the room. Katie looks at Emily across the table.

K: What’s gotten into you? You’re not normally this snarky. Did you catch it from Rebecca?

*laugh track plays*

E: No, I just have this really big project that’s stressing me out and I can’t lose focus right now.

K: I don’t think you’ve ever lost focus on anything academic.

She looks at the paper and spots something.

K: Could this be what you’re stressing about.

She reads the headline.

K: Cold and flu cases up again this fall as cold weather snap hits campus.

E: Not at all.

K: We’ll you always manage to get sick every year even though you try so hard not.

E: I’ve done so much research. I’ve taken multivitamins every day since August. My vitamin C intake is as high as it’s ever been. I sanitize everything I touch and wash my hands hourly. I don’t see any way a germ is going to bring me down this year.  

K: If you say so.

E: I do. Whatever, I know this year is going to be different. I’m tired so I’m going to get some sleep before my early class tomorrow and stay healthy.

Emily closes her laptop and leaves the room.

K: Not stressed. Got it.

*laugh track plays*

Cut to commercial*

After the break, a transitional shot of the old house is shown. It is the next morning. Katie and Chelsea are in the kitchen eating breakfast. Katie is wearing a purple button down shirt, blue jeans, and purple tennis shoes. Chelsea wears her hair in a lazy ponytail, a gray sweater, black yoga pants, and white sneakers. Allison enters the room in a pink cardigan, nice jeans, and brown autumn boots. She is dolled up as usual.

C : You’re up early, Ali.

A: There’s so much to be excited about and so much to do before tomorrow night.

Chelsea just kind of shrugs abs goes back to her bagel and coffee.

The three sit at the table and Rebecca comes in wearing a red flannel over a Green Day t-shirt, black jeans, and slip on Vans.

K : Look who’s especially up early.

*laugh track plays*

A: Don’t you know it’s not even noon yet?

*laugh track plays*

Rebecca pours coffee and sits down.

R: Relax, I have work in a little while.

Rebecca worked in a record shop off campus.

A: What a nice little household breakfast this morning. All we need is Emily.

K: it’s Thursday. She has that really early class.

R: Are you sure? I heard someone in the bathroom upstairs right before I came down.

K: I’m sure she does. That’s strange, she never misses a class unles she’s-

Katie is cut off by a sound from off-camera.

“EiSHOOO!” The girls turn and in walks Emily. She dressed for class, in a green sweater, light jeans, and white sneakers. Her curly hair is a little messier than usual. Her nose is a little pink.

A: Good morning, Emily. Care to join us?

E: Do, I slept through by alarb add dow I’b late for class. I have to go.

K: Oh you’re not going anywhere today Em.

E: Add why dot?

She tries to grab her backpack, but Katie grabs it first.

K: Because you’re obviously sick.

Allison backs away. 

E: I’b dot sick. I’ve beed takidg such good care of byself. There’s do way it’s possible. EHHHHCHOOOO!

*laugh track plays*

K: I know but you’re just not built for this season.
 She feels Emily’s forehead.

K: you’re under the weather. You need to lie down.

Dejectedly, Emily leaves to head upstairs.

A: I have to get out of here. I can’t risk being sick tomorrow.

K: Hang on, Ali. I can take care of her this afternoon , but I have class this morning so someone else is going to have to be here.

C : I would but I have practice this afternoon. I will be around to help this evening, though.

R: I work and have a night class, but I don’t understand why someone needs to be here with her. It’s only a cold.

Katie shoots Rebecca a look before turning to Allison.

K: I know for a fact you are free this afternoon. You won’t get sick as long as you take proper precaution. Here.

Katie grabs a surgical mask and rubber gloves from a kitchen cabinet.

K: Here. These’ll help. Now go help Emily.

An immediate cut of the camera shows Emily in her bedroom, lying in bed. She has a box of tissues next to her and is blowing her nose. Her room is by far the neatest of the five.

There is a knock at the door.

E: Cobe id.

In walks Allison with a glass of juice. She is wearing the mask and gloves. Emily chuckles to herself hoarsely.

E: You cad’t be serious. All that just so you cad go party with sobe obdoxious frat guys? 

A: Anything helps. Besides, I’m here to make you feel better. Everyone else has class or work.

Emily sinks further under the covers.

E: Oh do, I’b doobed.

*laugh track plays*

Another transitional shot shows the house in the afternoon. Katie has come through the door, now done with class for the day. She comes home and finds the living room and kitchen empty.

K: Allison? You home?

She goes upstairs and finds Emily’s door open. The camera cuts to Emily sitting up in bed. She has changed into red pajamas with white polka dots . There are now used tissues all over the bed and her garbage can is starting to overflow with tissues as well. She has an ice pack on her head. 

K: Hello, little miss sicky. How are you feeling?

E: Dot good. I’b pretty biserable at the bobedt, but I bust adbit, Allisod is actually pretty good at takidg care of be.

K: That’s actually shocking.

*laugh track plays* 

K: Where is she? I’ve been looking for her.

A: Where’s who? 

Allison appears, wearing her mask and gloves still.

K: There you are. 

The two healthy girls step into the hallway to let Emily rest.

K: I must say she’s actually improving. I have to hand it to you.

A: Thanks. It hasn’t been that hard. This mask has helped too.

Katie gets a closer look at it and giggles.

A: What’s so funny?

K: It only works if it goes over your nose too.

Katie pulls the surgical mask up over Allison’s nose who looks at her in terror.

Another transitional shot. It is now night time. Rebecca and Katie are watching tv on the couch. Chelsea comes into the living room carrying a tray with an empty glass, bowl, and a bottle of NyQuill.

C : The patient is out.

*laugh track plays*

K: Good. She seemed so exhausted.

R: I’d be exhausted too if Allison kept barging in and out of my room all day. Ow!

Katie kicked Rebecca’s leg.

C : Speaking of her, where is Allison?

K: She had a sorority meeting to discuss their party tomorrow.

R: How much do they need to discuss? You wear this dress and I’ll wear that dress and hope they end up on some frat guy’s floor.

*laugh track plays*

As if on cue, the front door opens. Allison walks in with her black jacket on.

K: You’re home early. Everything set for tomorrow?

A: I guess. They kicked be out of the beetidg.

R: Why is that?

A: HaiCHHHHHH! Because I’b catchidg a cold. They told beck was barred frob ady activities udtil I’b healthy or the after the party toborrow.

Katie walks over to Allison. 

K: I’m sorry you’re sick Ali. I think you need some rest. Allison nods, coughs, and heads upstairs.

C : Great now there’s two sick people in this house.

R: I still don’t see what the big deal is. It’s just some sniffles and sneezes. It’s nothing that should keep someone bedridden for days on end.

K: I guarantee you none of us want any part of this bug. We’re going to have to stick together to help them feel better.

C : I’ll take the morning shift. I don’t have practice.

K: That would be great. Rebecca?

R: Yeah yeah. I’ll help after class tomorrow.

K: Great. They’re going to get over this cold fast with all of our help.

Cut to Commercial *

After the break, a transitional shot of the house is shown the next morning. It then cuts to Emily still in bed and still sick.

E: EHSHOOO! Oh bad.

A: Cad you keep it dowd? By head hurts. 

The camera pans out and reveals Allison lying next to her. Her usually immaculate hair is now all over the place. Her lack of makeup reveals dark circles under her eyes and a red nose. She is wearing pink pajamas. Both girls’ bare feet stick out from the covers.

E: You cad go back to your owd roob you kdow.

A:  I kdow but Katie told us we deed to stay id the sabe roob to dot spread gerbs.  HaiCHHHHHHOO!

Allison lets a huge sneeze go uncovered right as Chelsea walks in with mugs of tea. 

E: you were sayidg?

*laugh track plays *

C : Don’t worry. I don’t really get sick. Here you two need to up your fluids. And you need to get along if you’re going to get over this cold.

*laugh track plays*

Chelsea tickles the soles of Allison’s left and Emily’s right foot before heading out of the room.

There is a transition shot of the exterior of the house in the afternoon. One can hear a booming sneeze.

“HuiSCHOOOOOOO!”

The camera cuts to the living room. Katie is reading a thermometer.

K: 99.3. That’s a little higher than I want. 

The camera cuts again and Chelsea is sitting on the couch in green plaid pajamas with her now bare feet resting on the coffee table. Next to her is Allison who is sitting cross-legged with a blanket wrapped around her. Emily is lying on the couch with her feet in Allison’s lap. She is wearing a white robe. 

K: So much for never getting sick. I’m sorry Chels.

C : It’s okay. Dot adyode’s fault.

Katie looks at all three girls sneezing in the couch.

K: At least Rebecca will be home to help me soon.

Another immediate cut of the camera shows the three sick girls on the couch looking up at Katie and Rebecca talking later that day.

R: Oh by God. I ab dot sick. IhtCHIOOO! It’s just a little sdiffles.

K: You can’t be serious right now.

R: ITXHOOO! 

C : Cobe od Rebecca.

A: There’s do use dedyidg it.

E: Get your pajabas od add joid us!

Rebecca is about to protest but all that comes out of her mouth is another sneeze.

R: IHTCHOOO!

*laugh track plays*

A quick cut of the camera and Rebecca is sitting in the old recliner next to the couch. She has swapped her jeans and band t-shirts for a black camisole and gray sweatpants. Katie takes a look at all of her roommates sick as dogs. She shakes her head and springs into action. 

A montage begins. She cleans up all the old tissues and replaces the tissues boxes in the coffee table. She sooon-feeds soup to Allison, injects nasal spray into Emily’s nostril, and gives medicine to Chelsea. She places a tub of hot water in front of Rebecca and gently leads her feet into the tub. The red-nosed punk is grateful for once. The montage ends with Katie checking in each girl in bed that night. All are fast asleep and snoring away. She smiles to herself and shakes her head as it cuts to commercial.

After the final break, a transitional shot of the house is shown in the morning. The kitchen is once again bustling with life. Emily is packing up her backpack. Allison is back to wearing her designer clothes. Chelsea in in her soccer uniform, dribbling a ball. Rebecca sits on the counter and drinks coffee, listening to music.

😄 I feel so much better.

A: Me too. That cold was nasty.

R: that was hardly a cold. You all were just being babies.

E : I saw you sneezing and whining away in your pjs like the rest of us.

*laugh track plays* 

Rebecca rolls her eyes.

C : We honestly owe it all to Katie.

E: Yes, agreed. She really knows how to make a girl feel better.

A: We should find a way to make it up to her today.

R: We should! But it is Saturday, she probably has plans already.

C : You’re right, I think she wanted to to go out anyway. We’ll have to think of another way.

Just then the sound of footsteps are heard and all four heads turn. Slowly they begin to smile.

A: On second thought, I think I have an idea how to make it up to her.

The camera cuts to a bedroom. Allison, Emily, Chelsea, and Rebecca are all standing around a bed. 

K: HaiSHOOOO!

And in that bed is Katie. Wearing blue and white striped pajamas, and a messy bun, it is obvious that Katie is now the sick one. She blows her nose while Emily reads the thermometer.

E: 99.8. Let’s get you some medicine to keep this fever down

C : And then some tea to wash it down.

A : And then maybe an ice pack for your headache.

R: and a foot bath to warm you up.

K: Sorry Rebecca, but I’b dot really cold. Hui CHOOOO!

R: Then maybe for the smell of those feet. 

Rebecca points to Katie’s bare feet at the end of the bed. 

*laugh track plays*

Katie gives Rebecca a playful kick as the credits begin to roll.

The end

Such a fun read! I like how the script format makes it easy to keep track of all of the characters. The inevitability of the germaphobe catching a cold and then it slowly spreading throughout the house was especially lovely! 

• 3 weeks later...

Coming out of the Shell

College had been hard enough already, but for Danielle, it was harder than most. She was already shy and a little awkward but the freshman had come to college looking to break out of her shell. She had a unique passion for the common cold and taking care of people afflicted with it, but her lack of friends had made that impossible.

Danielle thought the best way to make friends was to join a sorority. She pledged Sigma Phi Phi, a sorority with the reputation of having the friendliest girls. However, she still found it hard to make friends. She mostly kept to herself, feeling too self conscious to approach anyone. To make matters worse, she had repeatedly embarrassed herself in front of the chapter’s president, Olivia. Olivia was very bubbly and very pretty yet Daniele found herself intimidated by her. This led to a series of mishaps. Danielle had accidentally spilled wine on Olivia’s white dress at a party. She had bumped into her several times. The most embarrassing moment Danielle could think of was when she stepped on Olivia’s toes while she was wearing flip flops. Danielle could see the pain in Olivia’s eyes. Despite all of this, Olivia was cordial and friendly. Still, Danielle thought she wouldn’t make it. 

One November morning, Danielle was on her way to the library to do some homework. She was walking by when she saw Olivia coming out of a lecture hall. Danielle was about to keep walking but she made eye contact with her. Reluctantly, Danielle approached her. 

Upon closer inspection, there was something different about Olivia . Her hair and makeup were usually impeccable but today she wore a sloppy bun. Her nose was tinted slightly pink. Her stylish clothes and shoes had been swapped for a gray crew neck sweatshirt, black yoga pants, and brown Ugg boots. Danielle had never thought of Olivia like this but had to admit it. She looked tired.

“Hey Dadielle.” Danielle perked up. It sounded like there was congestion in her voice. 

“Hi Olivia. How are you?”

“Oh I’b fide. Just a little sleepy still. HuiCHOOO!” Olivia definitely had a cold.

“Maybe a little sick too?” Danielle couldn’t believe how forward she was being. 

“*sniff* Yeah I bight be cobidg dowd with sobethidg. I just have so buch to do.” Olivia lamented.

“I think you already came down with something. You need to be in bed. “ Danielle couldn’t believe how bold she was right now. Olivia probably thought she was psychotic.

“I would love to but I cad’t just waste away id bed. The sorority, by hobework, I just cad’t. Heh CHOOOO!” 

“It sounds like wasting away in bed is exactly what you need.”

“I just dod’t have adyode to take care of be right dow.” Olivia was just making poor excuses at this point.

“Well I can.” Danielle immediately said. What was she doing? This was insane.

“You’d take care of be?”

“Yes of course, come on.” Danielle wasn’t sure what had come over her. Soon enough they were back at the sorority house. Being president, Olivia had an apartment in the back of the house all to herself, with her own bathroom, small kitchen and living area. Pledges typically weren’t allowed, but Olivia was sick enough to make an exception. Once inside, Danielle looked in her closet and found a warm pair of plaid pajamas. She lay them on the bed.

“I cad’t wear those. They’re dot exactly id. HaiCHIOO!” 

“Olivia, you’re not supposed to be worried about how you look right now. You’re sick. You need to focus on staying warm. Olivia grabbed the pajamas as Danielle gave her privacy to change. Once she was in her pajamas, Danielle gave her a white robe hanging on the bathroom door and tucked her in to bed. Danielle sprang into action. She kept a steady supply of tissues coming in for Olivia’s poor nose. It was becoming so red so fast. By the afternoon, used tissues were strewn all over the bed.

Later that evening Olivia called Danielle into her room.

“Dadielle, in a little hudgry.” 

“I have just what you need. One moment.” Danielle returned carrying a tray with broccoli cheddar soup, tea, water, and NyQuil. Olivia lit up as Danielle spoon fed her the soup. Olivia ate as much as she could, pausing to sip tea and drink her water. After dinner, Danielle made Olivia take the medicine. She gulped it down and made a face. 

“Oh come on. It’s not that bad.” Danielle couldn’t believe she was in Olivia’s apartment making her take cold medicine.

“*sniff Oh yes it is.” Olivia said with a weak smile. Soon enough , Olivia was asleep. Danielle went back to her dorm and packed a small overnight bag before coming back and sleeping on Olivia’s couch.

Around 4:00, Olivia woke up.

“HaiSHOOO! Dadielle? I dod’t feel good. Danielle stumbled into the room. She turned the lamp in and could see Olivia was sweating. Danielle grabbed her thermometer and stuck it under Olivia’s tongue.

“101.3. Not good. Here I have something that will help.” Danielle reappeared with two Tylenol. Olivia took it quickly. 

“Here, let’s fix this. She placed an ice pack on Olivia’s head. She then took off her robe and unbuttoned her pajama top. Olivia lay on top of the blankets while Danielle gently rubbed her stomach until she was asleep again.

Danielle watched Olivia’s fever like a hawk the next day and slowly brought it down.

“99.7. That’s a lot better than last night.” Danielle said that afternoon looking at the thermometer.

“I dod’t feel so bad adybore but I bust say I ab chilly hrhchooo!” Olivia said.

“I have just the thing don’t you worry.” Danielle returned with a small tub filled with hot water.

“Here sit on the side of the bed.” Olivia sat up. Danielle guided her bare feet into the tub.

“That is better. Thadk you so buch Dadielle.” By the next day Olivia was still sick but improving. By now she had shed her pajamas, opting for an old softball t shirt and gray sweatpants. She lay on top of her bed, her laptop in front of her as she caught up on homework and sorority business. She blew her nose and sneezed on occasion while Danielle sat at the end of the bed, giving Olivia’s bare feet a massage.

“I bust say, you do kdow how to put a sick girl at ease.” Olivia cooed as Danielle continued to work her soles.

“Yeah, I didn’t expect to be that good at this caregiving stuff, but I think I did alright.” Danielle said modestly. 

“Of course you did! EtSHOOO! You’re idcredibly sweet, Dadielle, add caridg. That’s why I’b recobbedidg you for iditatiod idto Sigba Phi Phi.” Danielle put down her president’s feet.

“You are? All this time, I thought I wasn’t cut out for this.” Danielle said.

“Dodsedse. I kdew you had it id you. You just deeded to fidd that out of your owd.” Danielle was elated. She leaned in and gave Olivia a huge hug.

“Tell you what, let’s go out to a party toborrow. I’ll be feelidg buch better by Thed. We’ll celebrate.” Danielle accepted immediately.

The next evening, the group of Sigma Phi Phis were ready to celebrate their president’s return to health. Olivia appeared in a beautiful yellow dress and high heels, her and makeup done impeccably. Danielle was by her side in a green top that left her midriff exposed, blue jeans, and black boots. She was so incredibly excited to go out with Olivia. She was so excited that -

“AhtSHOOOOO! HatCHIOOO! HepSHOO!” She let out a huge sneezing fit. Olivia looked at the other girls.

“You guys go on ahead. I got this.” She led Danielle to her apartment and picked out a pair of blue striped pajamas. Danielle changed and Olivia guided her into her bed. 

“I’b sorry Olivia. I thidk I’b cobidg dowd with your cold. ASHOOOO!”

“I think you already came down with it. But I’m going to take care of you the way you took care of me, sister.” Olivia said as she began stroking the sole of Danielle’s bare left foot sticking out of the covers. Danielle smiled weakly as she blew her nose. Not only was she accepted, she actually found the thing she had been searching for her whole life, friendship. Despite the bad cold, Danielle felt better than she had in years.

The end.

I'm surprised Danielle didn't invite Olivia to her bachelorette party 🤪 Yeah, I know it's not the same character, but a girl named Danielle with a thing for taking care of sick people? That reminded me of the other Danielle straight away 😂

22 minutes ago, Likesn said:

I'm surprised Danielle didn't invite Olivia to her bachelorette party 🤪 Yeah, I know it's not the same character, but a girl named Danielle with a thing for taking care of sick people? That reminded me of the other Danielle straight away 😂

You know it did occur to me about halfway through writing this. I almost changed the name but left it alone lol. I’ll leave that up to the reader if it’s the same Danielle 

Winter Break

Abby was at a loss. When she decided to attend college in another state, she did not have the holidays in mind. With her parents taking a tropical vacation without her this Christmas and the dormitories closing until after New Year’s, she had no idea what to do. Luckily, she had grown close to her roommate, Ashley.

”Why don’t you come and spend Christmas at my house?” Ashley suggested the day before break. Abby was lying on her bed without much of an idea of where to go tomorrow. 

“I don’t want to impose. Besides you guys have your own traditions.” Abby said.

”it’s just me, my mom, and my sister. Plus our family friends come and spend a week from Ohio. It’s all low key but you’ll love them all. It’s better than trying to get home to an empty house for three weeks.” Ashley argued.

Abby had to admit, a fun but low key Christmas was exactly what she wanted. 

The next morning, the two friends piled into Ashley’s little Toyota and drove to her house. The two nineteen year olds arrived in the early afternoon, greeted by Ashley’s mom, Cheryl. She was in her late forties and wore a white sweater, black leggings, and fuzzy socks 

“How’s my girl?” She said as she gave Ashley a tight hug.

”And our guest of honor, Abby. I’m so glad you’re joining us!” She squeezed Abby next. 

“Easy, Mom. Don’t scare our guest off.” Ashley’s sarcastic 21-year old sister, Christine came downstairs wearing a black t-shirt, blue jeans, and black ankle socks. She and Ashley exchanged a hug. The four women sat in the kitchen and chatted while they drank coffee. Around 3:00, the doorbell rang.

Their friends had arrived. There was Denise who was Cheryl’s lifelong friend, and her daughters, Jordan and Candice. Jordan was Christine’s age while Candice was Ashley’s age. Everyone exchanged hellos and hugs. The guests settled in and Cheryl went over the plans for the week. It was filled with tons of seasonal activities like sledding, shopping, baking cookies, and things like that. 

That evening, after dinner, the seven were relaxing with wine while watching a Christmas classic, “Elf.” Everyone was laughing except for one person: Candice she was curled up on the couch , dozing.

”Candice, are you alright? It’s not even 8:00.” Her mom said as she gently nudged her.

”Oh I’b sorry. Just a little sleepy.” She said sheepishly. 

“Well, it was a long drive. How about we call it a night so everyone is refreshed tomorrow morning.” Suggested Cheryl. Everyone agreed and got ready for bed. The sleeping arrangements were Denise and Cheryl sharing Cheryl’s bed, Christine and Ashley in Christine’s bed, Candice and Jordan in Ashley’s bed while Abby occupied the sectional sofa in the living room. It wasn’t long before the house was dark and quiet. 

The two mothers were up early and went to work making breakfast. The smell of bacon and coffee woke Abby first, who came in from the living room excitedly. Slowly the other college girls trickled in. Everyone was chatting before they noticed someone was missing.

”Hey where’s Candice?” Asked Christine. She got an answer moments later.

Eh-CHOOOO!“ came from the stairs. Candice slowly stepped into the kitchen. She was still in her purple silk pajamas and wore brown Ugg boots. She had a throw blanket wrapped around her.

”Good bordidg. I’b sorry I slept I’d.” She said, sounding very stuffy. Abby perked up.

”Honey, I think I know why that is.” Denise said putting her hand on her daughter’s shoulder.

”EhhCHOOO! What do you bead?”

”I mean I think you have a cold. You’re sick.” Denise felt Candice’s forehead.

”You need to get back in bed.” Her mom said.

”Oh do, but we have so buch stuff pladded.” 

“I know but you need your rest. Come on, back in bed.” Candice trudged upstairs. Abby was in a trance. She had always been obsessed with the common cold and went absolutely crazy whenever she was around someone who was sick. Sharing a house with a sick girl for the next week was intoxicating. 

Candice fell back asleep almost instantly, so the group decided to continue with their plans. Cheryl had planned for them to go ice skating in town. Abby wanted to stay and be close to Candice but figured nobody would agree with that, so she reluctantly got ready. 

Ice skating ended up being a really good time. It had been years since Abby had been on skates, but she still had her grace and balance. She found it really easy to get along with Christine and even Jordan, whose goth appearance and personality made her seem reserved at first. After they were finished, the group went to a local cafe for coffee and hot chocolate.

”Are you worried about Candice?” Ashley asked Jordan.

”Not at all. It’s just a little cold. I’m sure she’ll be feeling better by the time we get back.”

”you’re not at all nervous to share a bed with her?” Christine asked.

”Why would I be?” Jordan asked.

”Because you could catch it too.” Christine said. 

“Oh no. I never get sick.” Jordan said confidently. They laughed and continued with their coffees.

——-

“Haa SHOOO! Well, albost dever.” It was later that afternoon. Not long after Jordan announced how she never gets sick, she began sneezing up a storm, cutting their trip short. She was now back at the house in bed next to her sister. Denise was taking Jordan’s temperature.

Abby stood just outside the door watching. She thought it was really funny to see Jordan do a complete appearance reversal in less than an hour. Her dark clothes and makeup had been swapped for her blue striped pajamas. Instead of her Doc Martrn boots, her bare feet now poked out from the covers. Denise came out carrying the thermometer.

”You should be careful, Abby. This cold is brutal.” She shut the door to let her daughters rest. 

The remaining healthy women enjoyed an afternoon of baking cookies while Denise tended to her sick girls. Dinner was a nice lasagna homemade by Cheryl while Denise made chicken soup for Jordan and Candice. 

Their bed was quickly becoming a dumping ground for tissues as the sisters kept tossing them after using them. Empty glasses of juice sat in the nightstand along with a bottle of medicine. Both Jordan and Candice were as miserable as they looked. It was clear this cold was no joke. It wasn’t long after dinner when they took NyQuil and their mom turned out the lights.

The next morning, Cheryl was the first one up. She sat in the kitchen with her coffee and enjoyed the quiet morning. Soon after, Christine joined her, then Abby, then Ashley. They were trying to figure out plans but needed to talk to Denise about what she wanted to do about the sick girls. They all then questioned where Denise was.

”Hua ACHOOO!” They had an answer. Denise came down in her white pajamas and bare feet, holding a tissue to her nose.

”Hey guys, I’b sorry I’b dot feelidg too well.”

”I’ll say. You’ve caught the cold. Come on upstairs.” Cheryl told her friend. With one family now sick, any plans to leave were scrapped. Cheryl did most of the caregiving. She brought a tray with bowls of fruit and mugs of tea to Candice and Jordan.

”Thadks Cheryl.” Jordan said.

”where’s our mob?” Asked Candice.

”Shes across the hall, in bed. She seems to have caught a bad cold from someone.” She teased as she squeezed the two sisters’ big toes. They giggled and coughed. 

Cheryl was holding her own until about four o’clock that afternoon. She walked into the kitchen to tell Christine something when:

”AtSHOOOO! Excuse be.”

”Okay mom. Get your pajamas back on and get into bed.”

Abby was in heaven. More than half the house had colds.  She wanted to help take care of people but Christine insisted on doing it. Abby kept making excuses to go upstairs and just listen to the symphony of sneezes and coughs and peek at the women lying in their pajamas in bed, blowing their noses and lamenting their condition. She didn’t think it could get any better until the next morning. 

“Hrh CHOOOO! Ugh I should’ve seed this cobidg.” Christine was sitting up in bed in a black tank top and gray sweatpants. Ashley had just given her a dose of medicine.

”it’s okay. Now it’s your turn to rest in bed. Abby and I can handle things.” Abby was over the moon. She spent the morning helping her friend take care of everyone before she became the last woman standing. 

“ItCHOOO!” Ashley stood in the hall and sneezed into her elbow. Without a word Abby guided her back to bed. 

Now facing six sick girls under one roof, Abby had to find an easy way to take care of them all at once. She brought them all to the living room wheee they spread out on the large sofa. With them all in one place, she could care for them easier.

”Abby, by head hurts.”

”Abby, I feel hot.”

”we deed bore tissues, Abby. HeiChoo!”

”I deed done bedicide Abby.”

”Cad I have a bug of tea?”

”Abby, I’b freezidg.”

Abby was in overdrive. An ice pack for Denise’s aching head. A thermometer to confirm that Ashley was running a small fever. A fresh box of tissues for Jordan’s runny nose. A spoonful of cough medicine for Candice. Tea for Cheryl’s sore throat. A tub of hot water so Christine could soak her bare feet. This lasted another day and a half. 

Finally, the girls felt better. Cheryl and Denise were up early and were dressed and down in the kitchen making breakfast before 7:00. Christine and Jordan trickled in, also much better, then Ashley and Candice. All chatted about how glad they were to be done with their cold when a noise interrupted them.

”HahSHOOOO!” They turned their heads and to their surprise stood Abby. Standing in the kitchen in her red pajamas and white robe and slippers, she was now sporting a red nose, pale face and messy hair. 

“Oh no Abby. Now you’ve got the cold.” Ashley said, rushing to her friends side.

“Now it’s your turn to stay in your pajamas and rest.” Said Christine. Abby nodded and turned to head back to the living room.

”Not there sweetie.” Said Cheryl. They guided her upstairs to Cheryl’s queen sized bed. There, Abby stayed, sniffling and sneezing the day away while they took care of her. Later that afternoon, Ashley had just brought her friend a mug of tea and rubbed her bare feet. Abby lay back with a smile. 

“You know if I didn’t know you any better, I would think you’re enjoying this cold.” Ashley said.

”Oh do, but beidg cared for is dice.” Abby tried to downplay the fact that she was enjoying this sickness. 

“Well you’ve certainly earned it after taking care of everyone. I’m just sorry this week hasn’t been as planned.”

”That’s okay. Speddidg tibe with all of you has beed bore fud thad beidg hobe alode all widter break.”

”Very true. I’m glad you came with me. I wouldn’t mind making this an annual tradition. Without the cold of course.”

Abby smiled, she would’ve loved this to be a new tradition and wouldn’t mind a cold being a part of it every year. For now though, she was going to rest and enjoy every minute of this one. 

the end 

• 2 weeks later...

Freaky Sick Day

”Hui CHOOO!” Robin sat up in bed in complete disbelief. The 21 year old college girl had forever been known for her horrible immune system. Every fall and winter she caught a cold at least four times, and the flu at least once, sometimes twice. Even in the summer, she was known to come down with a cold at least once. The viruses always hit her hard, leaving her bedridden for at least a day or two. Robin’s family never judged her for it, even if they couldn’t relate. 

Robin lived with her 50 year old mother, Rebecca, and her older sister, Megan, who was 24. Her mom and her sister never got sick. They were always in near perfect health. It drove Robin crazy. They never had to miss work or cancel plans. They never had to stay in bed in their pajamas all day while everyone else got to do what they wanted. 

“HuiCHOOO! Dabbit.” Now here she was, in the middle of January, with a bad cold. She had last had one the week before Christmas, less than a month ago. She slowly got up, slid her feet into a pair of flip flops, and donned her purple bathrobe. Stepping into the bathroom, she examined herself in the mirror. There she stood pale as a ghost with a pink tint to her nose. Her hair was a mess. She grabbed a piece of toilet paper and blew her nose. At least it was Friday and she didn’t have class today. She had to work at a local bar that night. Her manager, Katie had grown up with Robin, so she was accustomed to her constant sickness. Robin texted her that she wouldn’t be coming in tonight. 

As she left the bathroom, Robin examined her condition further. Stuffy nose, check . Headache, check. Exhaustion, check. She sneezed as she came downstairs into the kitchen.

”HuiSHOOO! Bob, I dod’t feel so good.” Rebecca was dressed for work sipping on some coffee. 

“I’m sorry honey. You sound like you have a cold. You should stay home and rest today.” Rebecca said, feeling her daughter’s forehead. “You seem a little warm, take some Tylenol. Don’t forget tomorrow I am going out with friends from work and Megan is going on a date.” Robin nodded as she poured herself a glass of orange juice and headed back upstairs. 

Rebecca brought her a mug of hot tea before she left. She told Robin she would see her after work. Robin was spent the day sick and bored. She tried watching tv but was too tired to focus on anything. She mostly lay in bed staring her bare feet at the end of the covers. She was constantly sneezing and blowing her nose and watched a small pile of used tissues grow larger. Later, she fell asleep and took a long nap. 

When she woke up, it was dark out. She checked her phone and saw it was almost 7. Her mom and sister should’ve been home by now. She sat up and sneezed.

“Hui ChOo!” She looked around and saw her lamp was in and a bowl of hot soup was on her nightstand with a note attached. 

“Robin, Mom and I are going out to dinner. See you when we get back! Feel better! Love, Meg.”

Great, her family was out enjoying themselves and she was laid up in bed, eating soup. Robin ate dejectedly. When she was done, she found herself gazing out the window. It was a cold clear winter night. The stars were out more than usual. To Robins surprise, a shooting star whizzed past the Big Dipper. Robin made a wish. She wished to not be the sick one all the time and to be healthy and for her family to understand what she went through better.

”Like that’ll ever happed.” She said to herself. Feeling exhausted, she turned out her light and rolled over. She had a feeling this bug would still be there tomorrow.

The next morning, Robin woke up early. The sun was still coming up. She sat up in bed and examined her condition. She breathed through her nose and was able to with relative ease. No congestion. She felt well rested and had no aches or pains. She was over her cold. Thank God. She got out of bed, took off her old pajamas and treated herself to a nice hot shower. She got dressed in a cardigan, blue jeans, and white socks. Then she cleaned up her old tissues and made her bed. She brought her empty mug, glass, and soup bowl downstairs. Robin was shocked to find the kitchen empty. Rebecca and Megan were usually early risers and it didn’t make sense for them to still be asleep.

Robin enjoyed her newfound health and sat in the kitchen sipping coffee. Her friends had asked her to go out tonight and she for once said she was able to go.

A little while later, there was movement upstairs. Rebecca walked into the kitchen dressed in a hoodie, sweatpants, and athletic socks. Megan followed wearing a crew neck sweatshirt, yoga pants and pink fuzzy socks. 

“Good morning, you two. It’s almost 9, were you two out late?” Rebecca shook her head.

”Do. We were hobe add id bed by Ted. *sniff” she said. Robin took a closer look at her mother. Rebecca seemed tired and her nose was running. 

“Are you feeling okay? You seem off, Mom.”

”Do. I’b okay. I - ITCHHOOOO!” She sneezed into her elbow. 

“Mom I think you have my cold. Wouldn’t you say so, Meg?”

”Yeah I thidk you’re - ATSHOOOO! - sick.” Robin couldn’t believe it. They both had colds. She knew just what to do.

Moments later, both Rebecca and Megan were in bed. They had changed back into pajamas. Robin was taking her sister’s temperature.

”99.6. I’m sorry you both need to stay in bed today.” She said. Both looked miserable and Rebecca blew her nose. 

“I’b supposed to go od a date todight. What ab I supposed to do?” Lamented Megan. 

“You’re going to reschedule for when you feel better, because that’s what you do when you’re sick.” Robin advised. 
She tickled her sister’s bare toes at the end of the bed. 

“ATCHOOO! I hate beidg sick.” Meg whined. 

“You’ll get used to it.” Robin said. She was enjoying the role reversal. Rebecca and Megan were now the ones who couldn’t see their friends and were stuck in bed in their pajamas. They were the ones with aches, fevers, sneezes, coughs, stuffy and runny noses. It was fun for Robin. That it is until they kept asking her for things.

”Hodey, by head hurts.”

”Robid, we deed bore tissues.”

”Cad you bridg be sobe juice?”

As the afternoon wore on, Robin found herself fetching everything for her bedridden family. She was growing annoyed. They were being so needy. Robin had an epiphany while rubbing Rebecca’s feet. They never got sick and had no idea how to take care of themselves the way Robin did. She always knew what her body needed when she had a cold. Her mom and sister, not so much. She lightened up and continued to help them. When it came time for her to meet her friends, Robin gave them a heavy dose of NyQuil and the two were snoring away in minutes. 

Robin had worn new jeans, a black crop top, and heels out. She met her friends for the first time in what felt like forever. She was having fun soon felt very tired. It wasn’t long before she went home, put on her pajamas and crawled in bed. 

Robin woke up the next morning feeling strange. She hadn’t drank enough to have a hangover but her head was pounding. It took a minute but she realized what was going on.

”Ha ESHOO! Oh cobe od!” Her cold had come roaring back. Robin felt awful. She just lay back down. In came her mom and sister, already over their bugs.

”Poor thing. Here just lay back and rest.” Her mom said as she placed a thermometer under Robins tongue.

”Don’t worry. We know now how bad these colds get. We’re going to stay by you and take care of you like you did for us.” Megan said as she rubbed Robins toes. 

It definitely sucked to get sick again, but Robin was thankful her family had finally gotten a taste of what she went through. And glad that they were going to take such good care of her.

The end.

• 3 weeks later...

A Lesson In Nosiness

Caring about your friends and family is a great trait to have. However, there is always a line between involved and nosy.

Denise was someone who crossed that line constantly. She really couldn’t help it, but had to know what her friends were up to all the time. 
                                                                She currently was fixated on her best friend, Rachel. They had been friends since they were teenagers and now lived together. Rachel had just graduated with her PhD and after years of staying in and studying, liked to go out and party with her other friends.

Denise didn’t judge but it was hard for her not to worry when she didn’t know where Rachel was on weekends and when she was coming home late at night or early the next morning.

It didn’t help that Rachel ran with a risky crowd. Even in their twenties, a lot of them still liked to get up to no good. 
Denise worried that Rachel would get into trouble. 

One chilly Friday night in February, Denise was at home and already changed into sweatpants and fuzzy socks. She was a homebody and had little interest in the nightlife in their city. Rachel, on the other hand, came into their kitchen, dressed in a new pair of jeans, boots, and a black crop top.

”Big plans tonight?” Denise asked as Rachel got her purse together.

”Yes! There’s a rave tonight at this shack down in the woods by Sullivan Park. You know, just over that footbridge.” 

“Rachel, that place is so creepy. You don’t know what kind of people hang out there at night. You’re not seriously going there!” 

“Calm down, Denise. I am. There’s a whole group of us. It’ll be fun. We’re always careful. I’ll be fine.” Rachel said, annoyed.

”And dressed like that? You’ll be in bed for a week if you go out dressed like that. You’ll catch your death.”

”For the last time, I’ll be fine. I have a coat. Please, keep your nose out of my business.” With that, Rachel grabbed her coat and left. Denise couldn’t believe it. She knew Rachel was bound to get hurt or into trouble if she went to this rave.

Denise resolved to stop her. She had had enough of this. The 24 year old grabbed her coat and a pair of Ugg boots and tracked out after her friend.

Like Rachel said, the party was in an abandoned shack out in the woods. It seemed so juvenile, given that Rachel was 25. Denise knew how to get there but had to hang back so not to be spotted by Rachel. 

After about 20 minutes, she approached the woods. The night was very cold and even in her warm clothes, Denise was shivering. She followed the trail to the shack. It had at one time held some historic significance but was now very run down and looked like something out of the Blair Witch Project. Like Rachel had said, the only way to get to it was by crossing an old rickety footbridge. The bridge spanned a decent sized creek. Denise saw Rachel crossing the bridge with her friends.

”Rachel!” Denise called from the bridge. “You know you shouldn’t be here. I’m not leaving until you come home with me!”

Rachel turned around and looked surprised.

”Denise, did you follow me here? What the hell? That’s creepier than anything going on here!” 

“I don’t care! I don’t want anything to happen to you. This place is dangerous.” Denise stood her ground. Rachel then had a thought.

”If you want me to leave, come get me!” She called across the bridge. 

Denise accepted her challenge. She started crossing the bridge. She could hear loud EDM coming from inside the shack. She was very scared as there was no guardrail on the bridge. She kept walking, her eyes on Rachel, trying not to look down. She should have looked down because she stepped on a patch of ice without realizing and slipped. She fell straight down into the creek. It didn’t have a current so she wasn’t swept away but it was deep enough that she was completely submerged.

She climbed out, drenched and embarrassed. She ran home, teeth chattering the entire way.

————————-
*knock knock*

”Denise, it’s Rachel.” It was the following afternoon and Rachel stood outside her friends bedroom door. She wore a white crew neck sweater, black yoga pants and socks. She had a mug in her hand. She nudged the door open and smiled..

”HiSHOOO!” Denise was sitting in her desk chair, still in her pink floral pajamas. She had a blue bathrobe over her pajamas and a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. Her hair was all over the place. Her nose beat red. A thermometer sat under her tongue. Her feet sat in a bowl of hot water.

”How are you doing, sicky?” Rachel jokingly asked. It was obvious that Denise’s tumble into the creek had given her a rotten cold. Denise blew her nose into a tissue before throwing it at a pile of them in her overflowing trash can.

”Hi CHOOOO! Awful. This is easily the best sick I’ve ever beed. “ 

“I’m sorry you got sick. I shouldn’t have made you cross that bridge.”

”It’s okay. It’s by fault for worryidg too buch add followidg you.”

”Well, I do forgive you. I think there’s a lesson here.” Rachel said as she dried Denise’s feet with a towel and began rubbing them.

”I’b sure. HaiCHOOOO!” 

The next day, Denise was still very sick. She was lying in bed, staring at her toes sticking out of the covers, lamenting her situation as she kept sneezing and blowing her nose. Rachel had done a good job of taking care of her yesterday, but had plans with friends today. That is until-

“Ehhh CHOOO! Hey guys, I’b for godda bake it today. I have ad awful cold.” She heard Rachel on the phone outside her room.

”Rachel? Cad you cobe here?” She called from her bed.

The door open and in stumbled Rachel, she was in a crop top, sweatpants and moccasins. She was carrying a tissue box.

”Oh do, you caught by cold! I’b sorry.” 

“*sniff * It’s okay. It wasd’t a surprise” Rachel said with a smile.

”Cobe joid be! We’ll get over this cold together!” Denise said as she peeled back her covers and scooted over.

Rachel kicked off her moccasins and climbed in. Rachel was thankful for Denise and had learned to accept her worrying about her.

Denise had learned something too. If you stick your nose in other people’s business, it might end up full of snot.

THE END

• 3 weeks later...

Modeling 

“I got it? You mean it? This isn’t some joke right?” Courtney was on the phone. The 23 year old was trying to make it as a runway model, though she was extremely pretty, it proved to be a tough industry to break into. 

Over a year of sending various agencies headshots, photos, and video had been fruitless. She had held a day job as a bank teller, but she aspired for greater. 

Now though, things were looking up. She had just gotten an offer from a very high end clothing company to walk the runway at a fashion show in a couple of days.  Courtney was obviously very excited and accepted.

”What’re you so happy for, Whortney?” Courtney whipped around. It was Hailey, a girl she had known for years but couldn’t stand. Hailey was also trying to break into modeling. 

“For your information, I just accepted an offer to walk the runway at the Stein & Company fashion show this Saturday.” That wiped the smirk off of Hailey’s face. 

“You can’t be serious. I was supposed to walk the runway there. They told me I’d get the last spot.” She stammered.

“Oh well.” Was all Courtney said as she moved past Hailey to go home.

Courtney shared an apartment with her sister Cassie, who was attending college nearby. When Courtney walked through the door she was surprised to find Cassie lying on the couch.

”Cass, what are you doing home? You have class right now. And why are you still wearing your pajamas?”

“ItCHOOO! Hey Courtdey. I woke up with a bad cold.” Indeed, there were used tissues all over the sofa. An empty glass of juice and a bottle of DayQuil sat on the table next to a box of tissues. Cassie was wearing a gray tank top along with yellow pajama pants under a throw blanket.

”Poor thing. I’m sorry. Here, you should be in bed.” Courtney took her sisters hand and guided her back to her bed. Courtney prepared a bowl of tomato soup and a mug of tea.

”Here, we’ll have you over this cold in no time.” She said as she set down a tray in front of Cassie.

”IpSHOOO ! Thadks Court. What put you I’d a good bood?”

”Well, let’s just say your big sister is going to be a runway model this weekend!” Courtney said with smiles. She recounted the phone call and her conversation with Hailey. 

“I’b glad Hailey was there to see that. She has do busidess od that rudway.” Cassie said. Courtney rubbed her sister’s bare foot sticking out of the covers.

”Thanks, Cass. Let’s focus on getting you better. I want you there on Saturday.”

”Hoh CHOOO! Be too.” 

Courtney spent the next two days taking care of Cassie. There was an endless flow of tissues, tea, water, and medicine in and out of Cassie’s room. Courtney was there to take her temperature, cover her in blankets, and catch sneezes with a tissue. Cassie was very grateful and by Saturday morning, was back to feeling normal. She could go to the fashion show! However, there was someone who couldn’t.

”HaiCHOOOO! You have got to be kiddidg be!” Courtney was in bed. She had woken up with a sneeze and she and Cassie knew immediately that Courtney now had the cold. 

“I’m sorry Courtney. Here, lay back. You need to rest.” Courtney’s hair was a in a lazy ponytail when it should’ve been curled to perfection later. She was supposed to wear three beautiful dresses down the runway but instead would be staying in her pink floral pajamas. She was supposed to strut down in her heels, but now her feet lay at the end of the bed. Courtney blew her nose into a tissue. Today could not be any worse.

”Knock knock .” Both sisters jumped at the strange voice in the doorway. It was Hailey.

”You two must really stop leaving your door unlocked.” She said as she walked into Courtney’s room.

”I got a call saying there was a last minute cancellation for tonight and I just had to check on my dear friend Courtney.” Hailey was dripping with sarcasm. She stood at the end of the bed and rested her hand on Courtney’s foot. 

“Don’t worry. Your spot is in good hands.” Hailey said with a smirk. Both sisters stared blankly at her.

“It’s me who’s taking your spot.” She explained.

”We got it. Now get out of here!” Cassie said. Hailey left.

Courtney laid in bed all morning. She was miserable. Early in the afternoon, Cassie came into her room.

”Hey, I just got off the phone with that agent you know, Valerie Schmidt. She says she has something perfect for you and your condition.”

”HaiCHOOOO! What could they possibly bead?” Cassie smiled.

Within a day, it was finished. Courtney was the poster girl for Wallace Pharmacy. A photographer came into Courtney’s apartment and took pictures of her posing in her pajamas with various sick day essentials. Courtney held up Kleenex boxes, a carton of Tropicana orange juice, a box of Lipton tea bags, Campbells soup, among other products the pharmacy wanted to promote. They paid much better than the fashion show would have and they wanted to work with her again. Courtney had even been contacted by the clothing company who put on the show. They wanted her to model their new line of pajamas, bathrobes and slippers as soon as she felt up to it.

”Well, maybe this cold wasn’t such a bad thing after all.” Cassie said as she sat in the couch next to her sister the next day. Courtney was better but still sick. She sat cross legged with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She wore a pink sweatshirt, gray sweatpants and slippers.

”hepSHOOOOO! Defiditely. In glad it’s workidg out. I just wish Hailey hadn’t taked by spot.”

”Well, the universe works in mysterious ways. She’ll get what’s coming to her.” 

Meanwhile at Hailey’s house, she was sitting up in bed in orange short sleeved pajamas. She impatiently drummed her toes against the footboard of her bed.

”EpCHOOOOO! What do you bead they weredt ibpressed? What about ady pharbacies? I have the worst cold ever add could pose with sobe tissue boxes. What do you bead you’ll see? I’b dying over here!” It appeared Hailey had a taste of her own medicine, and all she could do was lay back and hope she could find a modeling gig that would pay her to pose with actual medicine. 

The end.

• 2 months later...

Hello All. I’ve been away from writing for awhile. Schedule has been very hectic and I haven’t had a story idea in a long while. I do miss writing and have been trying to do so a bit more. Here’s a light story I’ve had floating around my head. Hope to have more stories soon. Please let me know what you think!

Best Laid Plans

“Did you see it? Read the article! It’s real! “ Helen was on the phone with her sister Allison. It had been 10 years since they had broken up, but their favorite band, The Babysitters had just reunited and had announced a new tour to start in a few days! It had been the music world’s best kept secret, and now the sisters couldn’t contain themselves.

“We have to go see them. We never missed a show in high school. “ Allison said. The sisters were now 28 and 25 but were ready to step back into teenage nostalgia.

“We will! And we have to bring Amy and Natalie!” Amy was Allison’s best friend and Natalie was Helen’s. They were also die hard fans of the band. 

“When do tickets go on sale?” Allison asked.  Helen scanned the article on her phone.

“They’re not using Ticketmaster. Good on them. Instead, ‘tickets will be sold at each venue’s box office starting Thursday the 4th. That’s two days before the show!”

Later that day, Allison came over to Helen’s house with Amy. Natalie was already in the living room.

“Alright guys, getting tickets to this show might be the hardest thing we ever had to do. It can be done but we have to go early to the arena and buy them. I’m sure there’s going to be a line.” Helen said.

“Damn, I have a meeting Thursday morning. There’s no way I can make it over there in time.” Natalie said dejectedly.

“I’m going to be coming home from a business trip that day. I have no idea what time I’ll be back in town yet.” Amy said looking at her calendar in her phone.

“I have a dentist appointment that day too! I’ve already cancelled twice, I can’t move it again.” Allison just realized. 

“This isn’t going to work.” Natalie said sadly.

“Don’t worry everyone. I have a lot of time off I can use up at work. I’ll go and take the day and get all of our tickets. It says I can buy four at a time so just pay me beforehand and I’ll pick them up.” Helen had saved the day. Everybody was relieved. 

The morning the tickets went on sale, Helen was in line a little after 7. The line was already extremely long, but Helen was confident she wouldn’t have issues. The day was sunny and warm. Helen sipped a coffee while standing in a t-shirt, black jeans, and Doc Marten boots. Time passed slowly and the line inched forward. Helen was very unbothered until about an hour and a half into her wait, dark clouds rolled in. The temperature dropped about 10 degrees in just a few minutes, causing her and others in line to shiver. She wanted to go back to her car to grab a jacket, but a worker from the stadium told everybody that if they got out of line, they would lose their spot. Helen had no choice and held her arms. 

Not long after the clouds rolled in, rain started to fall.

“This is just great.” Helen muttered to herself. There she stood for another 3 hours, just getting progressively more wet. Her patience paid off. She was able to snag four tickets for her and her friends. She sprinted back to her car and cranked the heat as she drove home.

Back at her house, Helen sent a selfie of her with an envelope containing four tickets. Her hair and face were soaked. She sent the photo to the groupchat. Everyone was over the moon. They made plans to stay over at Helen’s house Wednesday night and go the concert on Thursday.  The four were so excited and couldn’t think of anything except the show.

The next morning, Amy pulled into Helen’s driveway. It looked like Natalie and Allison were already there. Excitedly , she walked up the door and rang the doorbell. Natalie answered with a concerned look on her face.

“Hey, Nat. What’s wrong?” Amy asked, but soon had a reason why.

“HehCHOOOO! “ behind Natalie, Helen sat on the couch. She was still wearing her orange pajamas with white polka dots and was wrapped up in a blanket. She was blowing her nose into a tissue and was soaking her feet in a tub of hot water. Allison stood next to her pouring epsom salts into the tub. 

“I can’t believe you caught a cold on today of all days.” Allison sounded a little annoyed rather than sympathetic toward her sister.

“HuhSHOOOO! I odly caught it because I waited id the raid to buy you all tickets to the codcert. *sniff*” Helen’s nose was a nice shade of pink, in sharp contrast with her very pale face.

“This absolutely sucks!” Natalie said. 

“It’s do picdic for be either you kdow.” Helen said before coughing into her fist.

“Okay. That’s enough “ Allison guided her sister’s feet out of the tub and dried them with a towel. “Back in bed with you.” She helped Helen up off the couch.

“What? I told you I wadt to stay dowd here. *sniff* By Detflix odly works id the lividg roob.”

“We can’t risk you getting us sick before tomorrow. I’m sorry Helen, it’s the only way we’ll be able to go.” 

“But it’s by ho- HOOCHIII!! House.” Helen sneezed into her elbow. As much as she tried to protest, the other three coaxed her back to her bedroom. She was too sick to argue. The three healthy women made sure that Helen didn’t leave her room for the rest of the day. Whenever she wanted medicine, something to eat or drink, or more tissues, she would text one of them and they would leave it outside her door. Poor Helen was miserable but what could she do? She slept on and off and tried to read a book. A little after 7:00, she drifted off to sleep after Amy left NyQuil outside her door. Helen lay on top of her covers in a pile of used tissues. Hopefully she would feel better tomorrow.

The next morning arrived. Thousands of people all over the city were excited to see their favorite band reunite later tonight. 

A little after 8:00, Helen opened her eyes. The medicine had put her into a very deep sleep. She slowly sat up and took an assessment of her condition, hoping desperately that she was well enough to go to the show.

“HuiCHOOOO! Ughh!” Still sick. Helen lay dejected for a few minutes. How could she get sick on the most important day ever? Now her friends were all going to go without her. She rubbed her nose and sighed. She somehow felt even worse than yesterday. She was pretty sure she had a fever. Slowly she mustered the strength to sit up and get out of bed. After sliding her feet into her orange slippers and donning her black rob,e, she stumbled into her bathroom. She searched her medicine cabinet for her thermometer but couldn’t find it. That was odd, she hadn’t taken it out yesterday. She then heard a noise downstairs. Her so-called friends were still there, probably discussing their plan for tonight’s concert.

Upon walking into the living room, Helen realized it was a different story.

“ItCHOOOO!”

“EhhhhSHOOOOO!”

“HARSHOOOOO!” 

All three sat on the couch. Natalie had an ice pack on her head, still in her silk purple pajamas. She had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders and had her feet resting on the ottoman, right crossed over left. Next to her sat Allison. Her hair was a in a sloppy up-do and she had tissues plugging each nostril. She wore blue and white striped pajamas and sat cross legged. On the end was Amy. Her hair was in a ponytail and she had Helen’s thermometer in her mouth. She wore a red robe with white floral pajamas. She had both legs stretched straight out with her feet resting on the ottoman. There was a box of tissues on the ottoman and used ones all over the couch and their laps. Helen couldn’t help but smile.

“As you cad see, we’ve caught your cold, Heled. EpSHHHHH! ETCHOOOO!”amy said.

“*sniff* Add we deserve it too.” Said Natalie, full of remorse. 

“HepSHOOOO! We’re all really sorry we didd’t take good care of you yesterday. We wadted to stay healthy but we shouldd’t have wadted to go to the codcert at all if you were sick too.” Allison apologized. Helen looked at the three sick girls all on her couch, rotting away in their pajamas, messy hair, and bare feet, just like was. Helen knew a valuable lesson was learned.

“Well I’b certaidly dot happy about yesterday, but I kdow you all feel bad. Let’s all take a sick day together!” That sounded like a good idea to everybody.

They were all a little bummed about missing the concert, but managed to enjoy each other’s company as they laid around and sneezed the day away. A few days later, the four girls were feeling back to normal and had made plans to see the Babysitters in a neighboring city later on in the tour. They also had a new unspoken agreement: if one of them got sick, the others would immediately take care of her instead of sending her to quarantine in bed.

The end.

I'm really glad to see you writing again and this was a lovely little story. Also:

18 hours ago, jke1995 said:

“They’re not using Ticketmaster. Good on them

Very good indeed.

• 2 weeks later...

Everything to Everyone 

Jean sighed. It was 5:00. Quitting time for most people at the office, but not for her. Thanks to her demanding boss, Erin, Jean was staying late on almost a daily basis. Jean was the kind of person you could depend on. She almost always said yes and never argued back. She was what most people would call a pushover. 

She hated the term but knew it applied to her. She wished she could be more assertive but didn’t have it on her to be. It wasn’t just at work. She still lived at home at her mother, Samantha’s insistence. Her mom was nice but always needed help around the house and knew she could depend on Jean to help her get things done. Plus Jean’s younger sister Sarah, who was still in college, constantly needed help with her schoolwork and knew as long as Jean was in the same house, she could help her. Jean was happy to do chores and help her sister study, but that left very little time to herself. Not that she really had much to do with any downtime. Her best friend, Heidi, was normally very sympathetic to Jean’s plight but had recently gone through a nasty breakup, and was definitely still very upset and reaching out constantly for consoling. 

Jean was happy to help everybody, whether it was her boss, her family, or her friend. However, recently, it felt like she was just a secretary, maid, tutor, or therapist. All she wanted was to just be Jean . Well, she wanted slightly more than that. Would it kill any of them to take care of her the way she took care of them? She was constantly tired and running on fumes. She felt like she was going to explode. 

Jean stared at the office copier, feeling sorry for herself. She noticed Erin come up behind her.

Hey, Jean. I’m heading out for the day. Are those copies almost done?” Finally, Erin was going home. That meant jean could as well.

“Yes, Erin, I am. I think I’m gonna -“

“Great. I left the Chase file on your desk. I need that scanned and emailed to the client before tomorrow. I’ll see you in the morning! Don’t work too hard!” Erin put on her sunglasses and jacket and left the building. Jean wanted to scream. Sullenly, she went back to her desk. This assignment kept her at work until about 6:30, which wasn’t as bad as it had been lately. She got into her car and headed for home.

A few minutes into her drive, she was jamming away to “Basket Case” by Green Day, relieved to finally be heading home. Her happiness was short lived when she saw a call from Heidi come in on her Bluetooth. Reluctantly, she answered.

“Hey Heidi. How are you feeling today?”

“Terrible. I just checked Chris’s Instagram story and he’s already hanging out with another girl! It hasn’t even been two weeks! That pig!” Pam did her best to soothe Heidi between sobs. She stayed on the phone for about twenty minutes before promising to see her tomorrow to cheer her up. She hung up and put her music back on before she was interrupted by another call, this time from Sarah.

“Hi Sarah.”

“Hey Jean. Are you almost home?”

“Yep. I should be there in less than ten minutes.”

“Great. Would you mind stopping at Delilah’s house and pick up a textbook I left there?” 

“Delilah? She lives like thirty minutes from our house! That’s way out of my way! You have a car, can’t you get it?” 

“I would but I’m low on gas and I don’t want to be too close to her right now anyway. “ 

“Alright fine. Text her that I’m on my way.”

“You’re the best! Thank you!”

Pam was beyond annoyed. She kept driving past her street and on to Delilah’s house. She knew as a student her sister didn’t have much money for gas. But she was the one who left the stupid book at her friend’s house after all. Speaking of which, what did Sarah mean by not getting too close to her? Jean soon found out. 

Delilah lives in a nice neighborhood and Jean pulled into her wide driveway. It was a cool early spring evening and it was lightly raining. Jean rang the doorbell and waited. After a moment the door swung open.

“Heh-CHOOOO! Excuse be. Oh hi Jead. What are you doidg here?” Delilah was wearing white silk pajamas and had a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. She was clutching a used tissue. Her face was paler than normal, save for her bright red nose. Sarah didn’t want to get too close because she had a bad cold.

“Hi I’m here to pick up a book for Sarah. She left one here I guess.”

“Oh yeah. *sniff* Cobe id. I’ll grab it.”

“You should be in bed. Just tell me where it is and I’ll grab it.” 

“Hehshoooo! It’s id by roob. You cad follow be there if you wadt.” Jean did as they trudged upstairs to Delilah’s room. Delilah was very neat but today her covers were thrown all over and there were used tissues all over the bed. Her nightstand contained a tissue box, an empty glass of juice and a bottle of cold medicine. 

“Here’s the book. HehCHOOOO! Oh Pab I’b sorry.” Delilah handed her the book but accidentally let an uncovered sneeze fly right in Jean’s face. 

“It’s okay. Don’t worry about it.” Jean grabbed a tissue and wiped her face. “Just get back in bed and focus on getting better.” 

“Defidetly. Thadks, Jead.” Erin crawled back under the covers and blew her nose.

It was almost 8 by the time, Jean got home. She was starving and was hoping her mom had saved her a plate. When she walked in, however, the food had been put away. Only a stack of dishes sat in the sink. Samantha was curled up on the couch, watching TV.

“Hey Jean . You’re home late.”

“I had to pick up a textbook for Sarah.” Jean was not in the mood. 

“Oh I’m sorry. We wanted to wait to have dinner with you but didn’t want the food to get cold. Can you get those dishes before you go to bed? I don’t want them sitting all night.” Jean wanted to cry. She was hungry, tired, and fed up with everyone. She quietly did the dishes and went to bed. As she lay trying to fall asleep, Jean wondered what it would be like to take a break from it all. Just a few days without worrying about anyone and what it would be like to have everyone she knows take care of her for a change.

The alarm went off way too quickly for Jean. How could it be 5:30 already? It felt like she just laid her head down on the pillow. Speaking of her head, it felt heavier this morning and it was pounding. She rolled over and decided that ten more minutes wouldn’t hurt. When she looked up again she saw that nearly an hour had gone by. She sprang out of bed, threw some work clothes on , threw her hair in a bun, and rushed out the door. As she was driving, she noticed her headache was worse than earlier. She also noticed something else. Her nose was running. She found a Dunkin Donuts napkin in her glove compartment and blew her nose and tried to ignore what was obvious: she had caught Delilah’s cold.

There was no time for Jean to stop and think about it. She had too much to do for everyone else in her life. The only thing on her mind right now was beating Erin to the office.

Unfortunately, as Jean snuck to her desk, she saw the lights on in Erin’s office.

“Great. *sniff*” Jean uttered to herself. As she sat down, Erin came out of her office.

“Jean, you know how important punctuality is to this company?”

“Yes, Erid. I’b sorry I - ITCHOOOO!” Jean sneezed into her hands. Erin didn’t notice. She dumped a huge stack of paperwork on Jean’s desk. 

After about an hour, Jean was standing at the copier, scanning in Erin’s documents, feeling miserable. She was sneezing and blowing her nose every couple of minutes, chills now enveloped her body, and her throat was starting to hurt. This cold wasn’t going to be a small one, that was for sure. It wasn’t long before others in the office noticed Pam’s condition and said something to Erin. She came rushing out of her office.

“Jean, are you sick?”

“ITCHOOO! I thidk I bay have a sball cold.”

“I can’t believe this! We have so much to do and I can’t have you here sneezing all over the office!” Jean was relieved that it sounded like she was being sent home.

“Take your laptop and finish the day working at home. I expect you to be logged back on in one hour.” Jean stood there in disbelief. All she wanted was to be able to go home and rest but Erin still expected to her to work. Jean gathered her things in angry silence and headed home.

Once she was at home, she changed into a white sweatshirt, black yoga pants , and slides. She took a dose of DayQuil, grabbed a box of tissues from her nightstand, and a blanket as she curled up on the couch as she opened her laptop.

“HepCHOOO! Ugh. I just wadt to lay dowd.” She moaned to herself as she started looking over emails. She worked in relative silence with the exception of her sneezes and nose blows for a couple of hours before she heard the front door open.

“Jean? What are you doing here?” Asked Sarah.

“I was sedt to work frob hobe because I’b  sick. ICHOOOOO! I caught a cold frob Delilah.”

“Oh I know she’s sick as a dog right now. Hey, now that you’re home, maybe you could help me with some homework.” Sarah said, without even acknowledging Jean’s cold.

“Sarah, I dod’t kdow. I - EHCHOOOO! HepCHOOOO!” Jean sneezed all over her laptop. 

“Oh how dumb of me. I’ll come find you after work.” Sarah said before heading upstairs. The last thing Jean wanted to do after being forced to work was to help her sister study. 

Some more time passed and Jean heard the door open again. This time it was her mom, with Heidi tailing right behind her.

“Hey Jean, what’re you doing home?”

“I - ITCHOOOO! I was sedt hobe. I caught a cold. “ Jean said sadly. A noticeable pile of tissues had gathered on the coffee table. 

“I’m sorry if I had known, I would’ve had you get dinner going? Can you take out the chicken and get started? I’m going to go take a shower.” Samantha told her daughter.

“Then, maybe we could hang out? I’ve just been feeling super lonely lately.” Heidi said glumly. Jean could not take it anymore.

“ETCHOOOO! Do! Absolutely dot! Ib sick as a dog right dow! I have a rotted cold add I ab goidg to bed. I do so buch for all of you add dow I- ehh, I - EHHHHSHOOOOO! HahSHOOO! EpCHOOOO! I’b dode!” Jean sent an email to Erin saying she would be taking a sick day tomorrow and not to reach her. She slammed her computer shut and trudged up to bed without acknowledging her mom, sister, or friend. She changed into a pair of soft pajamas and crawled under th covers. She fell asleep quickly.

Jean didn’t open her eyes until 8 the next morning. She had been asleep for 14 hours and couldn’t believe it. She lifted her head. Still pounding. She tried to breath through her nose. *snifffffff* Very congested.

“ICHOOOOO!” She sneezed into her covers. She reached over to her nightstand and blew her nose. Jean was still in the depths of her cold. At least she had taken the day off. She felt like she should at least check her emails, but realized that she would just be sucked right back into work. She just wanted to stay in bed today.  Just then there was a knock at her bedroom door. 

“Cobe id.” Jean was sure it was her mom or sister asking for a favor. In walked Samantha, Sarah, and Heidi. Samantha was carrying a tray of toast, fruit salad, and orange juice. 

“Hey honey. How are you feeling?” Samantha asked.

“So sick.” Was Jean’s reply. 

“You poor thing. Here, this will help.” Samantha sat the tray down in front of Jean, who couldn’t help but smile. Sarah then sat down next to her sister and revealed a thermometer.

“Open wide.” She said as she placed it under Jean’s tongue. It turned out she was running a slight fever. Heidi gave her some Advil.

“We all kind of realized how much stress we’re putting you through and how much we are all asking of you.” Samantha said as she held her sick daughter’s hand.

“We are all so sorry, Jeanie.” Sarah added.

“And we promise we will be there for you, just like you are for us.” Heidi said. “And we’ll be mindful of how much is on your plate.”

“*sniff* I appreciate that. If you all cad do that, all is forgived. HepCHOOOO!” Jean sneezed into her hands.

“Well first thing is first. Getting you over this cold.” Samantha said. The three went into overdrive taking care of Jean. They were in and out all day tending to her every need while she got to relax in bed. 

That afternoon, Jean was sitting up in bed, reading a book, two tissues plugging each of her nostrils. Heidi sat at the end of the bed, rubbing her friend’s feet.

“Thadk you Heidi. That feels awesobe.”

“Of course! It seems like you have a lot of knots.” 

“I’b usually ruddidg aroudd by office all day. It’s dice to just lay id bed and be barefoot all day for a chadge.” 

“Well I’m glad I can help. Even if they do smell.” She playfully tickled Jean’s toes, who giggled. Jean was sick the next day but improving. She took another sick day, but felt better by the next night. 

The following day was Saturday. Jean got up early, feeling better than normal. She got out of bed, took a shower and got dressed. She came downstairs and found an interesting sight. 

“HarSHOOOO!”

“HEPCHOOOO!”

“AtSHOOOO!” Samantha was laying back in her recliner while Sarah and Heidi both laid on the couch. All three were wrapped up in blankets, still in their pajamas. There were tissues all over.

“Okay. How can I help?” Said Jean, happy to help her loved ones again.

The end.

It's nice that Jean(/Pam 😜) got a little time off. I assume her boss probably needed some as well, but maybe that's for another time.