• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lighthousegirl

• Not Telling

• RipleyToo

• Tumble

5 hours ago, RipleyToo said:

Will there be more Brandon sneezes?

You may have to be patient, but yes I plan on there being more!

After a few seconds the shock wore off and Brandon took a deep breath as he assessed the situation. He moved his limbs, thankful to feel that nothing seemed to be injured. The car was at around a 30 degree angle pointing down the slope off the road but luckily the deep but soft snow had actually broken the worst of the fall and the car was half buried in a snowdrift. There was no way he could move it himself but at least the damage wasn't too bad from what he could tell. They must have hit a patch of black ice on the road - it could be lethal in this weather.
"Fuck, I am so sorry James are you OK..." he began, turning to face his driving companion. His voice trailed off as he took in James's condition. The man was chalk-white, shaking all over and seemed to be struggling to breathe.
"Hey, hey it's ok, we're OK," he said, tentatively reaching out and rubbing James's back. James fixed his eyes on him, his breath coming in wheezy pants, panic written all over his face. Brandon forced himself to stay calm - freaking out wasn't going to help James right now. He racked his brains to remember some his basic first aid training.
"James, I think you might be having a panic attack," he said quietly. "You're going to be fine though, just try to focus on your breathing. Try and take some deep breaths if you can - in through the nose and out through the mouth."
With some effort, after a few thwarted attempts James managed a good inhale and a long, shaky exhale.
"Good, that's good! Now keep focusing on doing that ok?"
James gave a slight nod and let out another wavering breath. He leaned forward slightly, his hands coming to rest on his knees, and he rocked slightly as he continued to attempt to regulate his breathing. Brandon continued to rub his back and encourage him as best he could.

After a while James's breathing slowed and he looked up at Brandon through watery eyes. "Thanks... I'm a bit better now," he croaked out. "I'm sorry if I freaked you out."
"Hey, don't worry about me! I'm the one who crashed the stupid car. I'm so sorry James." Brandon looked like he might burst into tears.
"...not your fault," said James, after coughing harshly into his fist. "The ice..." But he couldn't finish his sentence as the coughs returned and he gave another couple of wheezy breaths once they subsided.

They sat in silence for another minute or two, James's breathing gradually returning to normal and the trembling slowly subsiding. Brandon took his hand away but continued to make comforting noises, wondering all the while what on earth they were going to do next. Suddenly James's breathing became erratic again and Brandon looked up at him anxiously. However, his glazed expression and hitching breaths foretold an oncoming sneeze.
"Ah...aschoo! Aschoo! Ah-hah-aschoo!"
James sighed and then laughed, the absurdity of the situation hitting him. He suddenly found he couldn't stop and after a minute Brandon hesitantly joined in. The two of them sat giggling like a pair of idiots until tears came into James's eyes and he wiped them self-consciously. He took a deep breath and said shakily, "I'm sorry, really. I'm not insane honestly, I just react weirdly to stress."
"It's honestly fine," Brandon reassured him. "It's a weird situation."
"What are we going to do now then?" asked James anxiously.
"I'm not sure. It's late, pitch dark and there's no signal round here. We could go try and flag down a car but people so rarely drive along here we could be waiting hours."
"I guess there's no houses close by we could try and get help?" offered James.
Brandon shook his head, before an idea struck him. It was the last place he really wanted to go but it was possibly the only option.
"There is somewhere I know we could stay at for the night," he said slowly. "It's about a mile from here, but it might be our best plan. Do you think you can walk?"
"Sure," said James, trying to sound breezier than he felt given the circumstances. "What place is it?"
"Um... I'll explain when we get there."

They extracted themselves from the car, wrapped all the layers they could find round themselves and set off through the snow.
After 10 minutes of walking James felt like his feet were going to drop off. His work shoes weren't exactly waterproof and the snow had immediately seeped into them, soaking his socks. In spite of his hat, scarf and gloves he was still shivering and his nose felt colder than ever before. As his breath hitched yet again, he stopped, willing to get the sneezes out and over with. Brandon stopped too and looked at him questioningly which then turned to understanding. Clearly his sneezy expression was well-known to him by now, even if only lit by the light of a phone torch. Even so, he tried to explain his predicament.
"Suh-sorry, have to... snee... sne... hah... ah... oohhh... ahHASCHoo! HASCHOO! ASCHOO!" He couldn't help a slight moan escape him - the sneezing didn't exactly help his pounding headache. He was so tired.
"Bless you," said Brandon gently, and gave him a tentative pat on the shoulder. "Not far to go now."
They walked up a long winding path through some huge fir trees, the darkness seeming more and more acute as they continued. James felt dead on his feet and just when he thought it would never end, the trees cleared and a property emerged from the gloom. James stopped and stared disbelievingly.
"Um, Brandon? This is a castle."

Oh my gosh! So lovely to return from holiday and have so many amazing chapters to read. Getting a closer look at James's feelings towards Brandon and that they might be a bit more than what he would expect. Him catching a cold. Holy Batman the cliffhanger chapter with the accident and now this. So excited to see what happens when they finally get some quality one on one time outside of their driving to and from or being at school. Every chapter keeps me on the edge of my seat begging to know more but also to have more. Totally loving the slow burn, I'm such a sucker for that trope, I love the tension and the build-up and everything that can happen in between. I sometimes feel a little cheated if it all happens to quickly but there is a fine balance between giving too much too soon and extending a slow burn for the sole sake of extending it. You have found such an artful balance. ❤️ Cannot wait to read more! 

Ooh I love the caretaking for anxiety as much as sneezing- veery curious to learn who lives in this mysterious castle

Wow, wow, wow! Thank you SO MUCH for all the lovely comments. I am so happy that you are all enjoying this story so much. To be honest, I didn't quite mean for it to be as long as it is becoming but I'm just falling so in love with these 2 boys. Here's another part since you're all so lovely. 😍

He could hardly make out his face but James could tell Brandon looked sheepish.
"Yeah... I guess I never told you my dad's like... a lord, basically?"
In his surprise, James descended into a severe coughing fit. He doubled over, coughing into his gloved hands until eventually it subsided. "I'm sorry... what?" he choked out.
"Yeah. My family are descended from some third cousin of a king from a million years ago. This is the family seat. I lived here until I was twelve."
"You grew up... in a castle?" James said incredulously, still trying to wrap his head around it. He was starting to wonder if this whole evening was some sort of bizarre dream.
"It's not something I tell people very often."

They walked round to a side door and Brandon knocked loudly. "Hello?" he called. "Sorry to disturb - it's Brandon!"
After a minute, the door opened and warmth and light hit them both. An older man stood there, looking puzzled at first, before his face smoothed out into a welcoming smile and he pulled Brandon in for a hug.
"Good to see you! How are you son?" he exclaimed.
"Well, we've been better," said Brandon with a rueful laugh. "We've had some car trouble and needed a place to stay - I'm so sorry we disturbed you."
"Don't be daft! You don't have to ask. Come in, come in before you freeze to death!" The man ushered them into the hall and fussed over them, taking their wet coats and things and placing them by the radiator. Turning his attention to James, he gave his hand a firm squeeze, saying, "Good to meet you, I'm Fergus."
"H-hi," James stammered. "Your home is... well, beautiful, sir."
Fergus laughed. "It's not mine I'm sad to say!"
"Fergus is the gamekeeper - he looks after the place when my parents are away," explained Brandon.
"So less of the 'sirs'," said Fergus, giving James a wink. James flushed and stammered an apology, which was waved aside, before being led into the warm kitchen.
"Sit down before you fall down, you look close to death's door," said Fergus. "Let me make you boys some tea and you can tell me how you ended up here."
Pretty soon they were thankfully drinking tea and eating toast while Brandon explained the whole story to Fergus. James sat quietly, trying not to sniffle too audibly and giving his nose occasional rubs with the tissues that Fergus had tactfully placed on the table.
Fergus was full of sympathy at their plight. "Thank goodness you're both alright," he exclaimed. "Not to worry, you can stay here tonight, you can borrow some clothes and I'll get your things dried out. I'll give you a lift back to your car tomorrow morning and hopefully I can tow it with my truck."
"You're a lifesaver Fergus," said Brandon fervently. "I don't know how to repay you."
"None of that, none of that. I wouldn't think of doing anything else."
Fergus turned his gaze towards James. "I don't have children but this lad is like a son to me," he explained, putting his arm round Brandon's shoulders. "Even more so since his own daddy decided to behave like such a... well perhaps I shouldn't say anymore. I may work for him but it's Brandon I stick around for."
Seeing Brandon's embarrassed expression, James wasn't sure whether to inquire further. He was saved the trouble of deciding though as Fergus changed the subject.
"So, James! It's good to meet you. How long have you two been seeing each other?"
Brandon flushed bright red at this and James quickly stammered a reply. "Oh we're not, I mean I'm not... "
Brandon broke in. "We're not together Fergus. James is just a friend - a colleague from work."
"Oh! My mistake," said Fergus, seeming blissfully unconscious of the embarrassment he had caused. "Well, we're glad to have you here James. You look pretty rough if you don't mind me saying so though son. Are you feeling alright?"
"Just a bit of a cold unfortunately," said James, before his breath started to hitch once more and he muffled three sneezes into the tissues. "Haschmpf! Heschmpf! Haschmph!"
"Bless you," said Fergus. "I suppose tramping through the snow didn't help too much. Come on, I'll show you where you can sleep. There's an ensuite bathroom too. Just leave your wet clothes outside and I'll get them dried. I'll look out something for you to put on - it may have to be some of Brandon's old clothes!"
The thought of James wearing his clothes made Brandon's stomach flip but luckily James was too distracted to notice.
"Haschoo! Aschoo! Uh... thank you," he said weakly. "I don't mind what I wear honestly. It's very kind of you."

The two of them followed Fergus along a corridor and he showed James into a beautiful guest room, with a large and exceptionally inviting looking bed. James practically wept at the sight of it.
"Bran, you can go in your old room across the way," he said cheerfully. As James headed into the bathroom he dropped his voice and said to Brandon in an undertone, "I'd look out for your friend if I were you. Seems to be more than just a bit of a cold if you ask me."
"I know," Brandon nodded. "He should never have stayed for the dance in the first place. But he's a stoic kind of guy."
"Everything OK there?" Fergus asked perceptively, not missing Brandon's look of affection and worry as he thought about James.
Brandon sighed. "Not really. But there's not much I can do about it I'm afraid."
Fergus squeezed him on the shoulder. "You're a good lad Brandon. And you deserve to be happy, you know that don't you?"
"Thanks Fergus. I'm... well... just, thank you." With a return shoulder squeeze, Brandon headed into his room and thankfully peeled off his wet clothes. Despite everything, his room had been kept almost the same as it had been when he lived here and there were still some clothes in the drawers. He pulled out a hoodie and some pyjama trousers, laid them on the bed and headed into the bathroom. The hot spray of the shower soothed his muscles, which had started to ache once the shock of the crash and the walk to the castle had worn off. The relief he was feeling must have been tenfold to what James was feeling, he surmised, hoping his friend was reviving somewhat under the hot water. After a few minutes he stepped out and quickly dried himself, dressing in the clothes he had laid out. Suddenly he was desperate for a drink.
He opened the door of his room, only to come face to face with James, clad only in a towel, opening the door of his own room. Trying not to audibly gasp at the sight of James's bare chest with drops dripping down his body from his damp hair, he stammered, "I'm just heading to the living room to get a drink. I don't know about you but I could really go for a whisky."
"Ohhh, a whisky would be wonderful," James said fervently. "I'll join you in a moment." He grabbed the clothes Fergus had left for him and retreated back into his room to change.

NB: While the whole castle plotline might seem a bit far-fetched, it is actually based on someone I knew in school whose family genuinely owned a castle in the Highlands. 😅

I am eating this story up!!!!!  Poor Brandon, with his unrequited (maybe not so unrequited) feelings...he is such a good friend though.  James.  Get your head out of your arse!!  Hopefully these boys are going to have a heart to heart, with their whiskey!

It is my lucky day. I didn't even have to wait 24 hours for an update! Still on the edge of my seat though waiting for the fireworks to explode! I hope given the setting and the help of liquid courage James opens up a little to Brandon. Thank you for this story. So excited for more!

Thanks for the update. It's somehow moving and I loved the sneezes as well. Your characters are so well written. An amazing story! 

Wow that was unexpected but really cool and fortune. Poor James' mind must be swimming trying to figure out what's reality and what's fever dream. Maybe Brandon helps take care of James 😉💙

You are so lovely, thank you. 😊

Apologies for the delay in getting this part up. More apologies as there is not a huge amount of sneezing. However, I don't think you'll be disappointed. 😉

Brandon was sitting by a warm fire, drink in hand when James entered wearing a similar outfit to his own. A few sips of whisky had left him already feeling pleasantly muzzy and he smiled lazily at James as he settled himself into an armchair opposite him.
"I poured you a whisky," he said, gesturing to the tumbler in front of him.
"Thank you," said James and took a deep drink from the glass. It burned his throat and made him cough, but still brought pleasant relief to his tired body and fragile mind. For a while there he had felt worryingly close to bursting into tears, something he couldn't remember the last time he'd done. The whisky calmed him somewhat and he leaned back in his chair, relaxed and contented for the first time that evening.
"Well, in spite of how we ended up here, there are certainly worse places to stay in an emergency," he said.
Brandon smiled. "Yeah, I'm pretty fond of the old place. I first discovered how much I loved art from copying all the paintings on the walls. Very badly of course, but even so."
"And... are your parents not around?" asked James hesitantly.
"They don't stay here very often these days. They spend most of their time abroad. To be honest my dad keeps this place mainly for 'tax reasons'." Brandon rolled his eyes. "I pop in every so often to check on things and Fergus keeps it all running smoothly. He does public tours of some of the rooms and that sort of thing. It's been used for a couple of films as well."
"He seems a great guy."
"Yeah, he is. He's not exaggerating when he says he's like a dad to me."
"Aren't you... close to your dad?"
Brandon was silent for a minute and James suddenly felt uncomfortable.
"Sorry," he said quickly. "It's none of my business..."
"No, it's ok," replied Brandon. "It's just hard to explain." He paused again.
"I was never what my parents expected me to be. I have no interest in inheriting any title or anything that comes with it. All I ever wanted to do for as long as I can remember was to draw. Then there's the whole being gay thing." He took a long drink from his glass.
"I think that's why they sent me away to school. They hoped it might toughen me up or straighten me out or something. It didn't really turn out that way. I had six years of hell and then I went home and told them I was gay and I was going to art school. I'm not sure which they were more appalled by." He laughed harshly.

James wasn't sure what to say. The pain in Brandon's voice was palpable, however much bravado he tried to display.
"I'm sorry," he said, feeling that the words were ridiculously inadequate. Brandon shrugged. "It's not as dramatic as it sounds. I see them occasionally when they visit. We speak. Just not about anything personal." He laughed suddenly. "I did bring a date to a family wedding last year and I thought their heads might explode. I was politely told it would be better to come on my own next time."
James suddenly turned sharply, sneezes creeping up on him without warning.
"Schoo! Ah... aschoo! Haschoo! Ugh, sorry."
"Bless you."
"Thanks. Well, all I can say is that they must be blind not to see that they should be very proud to have a son like you."
"Ah stop it," said Brandon, reddening, but flattered in spite of himself.
"I'm serious! After everything you've done for me tonight? You've no idea how unique you are Brandon."
There was a pause as James caught his breath. It wasn't like him to be so effusive. He blamed the whisky - it always tended to make him babble. Luckily, he was halted by a need to sneeze again.
"Sorry... hah... haschoo! Haheschoo!"
"Bless you James," said Brandon softly. For once James got the feeling he wasn't just acknowledging the sneezes. As his stomach clenched, he quickly downed his drink and yawned, saying, "Sorry - way to kill the moment. I'm just a sneezy mess tonight - I think it's probably time for bed."
Feeling slightly wrong-footed by the sudden change in tone, Brandon simply nodded and rose from his chair, finished his drink and followed James out of the room. They walked along the corridor and paused outside their rooms, looking at each other through the semi-darkness.
"Really... thank you," said James in a low voice. "I'm glad you were there tonight. I'm not sure what I would have done otherwise and I don't just mean the accommodation."
Brandon felt like he could barely speak. Was the electricity in the air palpable only to him?
"It's... n-no problem," he stammered, his heart thumping in his chest. His lower lip suddenly trembled, as it always did when he was nervous. He didn't know if it was that which made James take a step towards him but suddenly they were close enough to almost be touching. He could see his own reflection in James's eyes. Almost without conscious thought he tilted his head up slightly.

The kiss was hesitant at first - just a brief brush of their lips. Then Brandon felt a hand on his shoulder as James's mouth met his again, the kiss deepening this time, firmer and more urgent. He couldn't help but let out a sigh when suddenly James broke away from him, and coughed harshly into his fist. "S-sorry..." he tried to say, but the coughs overtook him and it was a minute before he had recovered enough to speak.
"Um... sorry. That was... stupid of me. I think I've had too much whisky," he said with an awkward laugh. "I should probably go to bed. I'm sorry."
He fumbled with the door handle and before Brandon could say anything he'd disappeared into his room.

Behind both doors, the two of them stood silently, each assessing what had just occurred between them. James was breathing heavily, feeling almost as panicked as he had in the car. He stumbled over to the bed and lay down, trying to calm himself.

Brandon on the other hand felt numb. He stood for a minute, wondering if it had all really happened, then he also collapsed on his bed, suddenly worn out with exhaustion from the whole night.

Oh my GOODNESS!!!  The tension between them is soooooo palpable!  Brandon is such a sweetheart, and James is starting to come out of his shell.  He still has to have his big "secrets" reveal though.  But I imagine he is going to have a major sexuality crisis first...oopsie.  No more whiskey for James...

On 9/9/2023 at 12:59 AM, lighthousegirl said:

However, I don't think you'll be disappointed. 😉

That's for sure! I live for that first moment, that first kiss! *sigh*  But much like Lucy, James has got some 'splainin to do. This is the crossroads right here and I'm so curious the path you're going to take. 

Hi guys, here's the next part. To be honest I really struggled writing this so I hope it's ok. Don't worry, I won't be torturing these two for much longer and big secrets will be revealed very soon! 😉

Each of them slept fitfully, Brandon due to strange dreams in which James's eyes seemed to dominate, and James due to continuously having to cough or sneeze. When Brandon woke up, it was with dismay that he noted a scratchy throat and and a headache which could not simply be due to the whisky. A heaviness which seemed to be settling on his sinuses threatened congestion and worse to come. Typical, he thought as he started to get dressed. A cosy, confidential chat in front of a log fire, culminating in two ridiculously hot kisses - most people ended up with the man of their dreams. He ended up with the man of his dreams's cold.

He shuffled into the kitchen to see James looking similarly worse for wear, with a mug of tea in front of him. He was in the midst of blowing his nose and looked up at Brandon, blinking and looking embarrassed. "Morning," he said with a small smile.
"Morning," replied Brandon, trying to disguise any hoarseness or nervousness in his voice. "How are you feeling? Did you sleep OK?"
James nodded. "Not bad. A bit on and off. I still feel rough but definitely better than yesterday."
"Good."
Brandon stood awkwardly for a moment then poured himself a glass of water and sat down opposite James, who was staring into his tea. There was an uncomfortable silence, then James looked up, opening his mouth to say something.

"Morning lads!" Fergus breezed into the kitchen, startling them both. "How are we doing this morning? What would we like for breakfast?"
As they answered Fergus and then listened to the man's easygoing banter as he made them bacon and eggs, both attempted to appear normal and unabashed. But the conversation was lacking and there was an ease missing which had been there the night before. James felt like his heart was thumping loudly enough for everyone to hear and Brandon was desperately trying to control his trembling hands. He tried to eat, but his stomach clenched and swallowing was painful.
"You OK Bran?" Fergus asked concernedly.
"Yeah... sorry Fergus. Just still tired I guess." Brandon tried to look more animated as he forced down some food. James gave a sudden "aschoo!", which diverted Fergus's attention.
"Bless you. How's the cold doing?" he asked.
"Not bad. Better than yesterday for sure. Sorry I probably seemed like a bit of a zombie when we turned up last night."
"You did look a tad worse for wear," chuckled Fergus. "We were a bit concerned for you weren't we Bran?"
Brandon gave a weak smile.

After breakfast was over, punctuated by a couple more sneezes from James, which Brandon noted were a lot less congested sounding and only occurred in singles, suggesting that James was truly on the mend, they finally set off to pick up Brandon's car. Slowly but surely, Fergus managed to winch the car up the slope and towed it into town, with James and Brandon in the back seat of his truck. By this time the tension was palpable and even Fergus's best efforts failed to fill the charged silence. Brandon's headache grew steadily worse and his nose started to run. He gave James a sideways glance but the man was looking out the window, seemingly lost in thought, so Brandon allowed himself a small swipe underneath his nose with a tissue he had stashed earlier. Unfortunately this only seemed to irritate it and he felt a tickle begin to build. He sighed inwardly. The last thing he needed was to add to the atmosphere by revealing that he'd caught James's cold. Under the pretence of looking out the other window, he pressed his fist under his nose and crushed 2 silent sneezes into it, his body jerking only slightly. It seemed to work - no-one said anything at least.

Finally, finally Fergus dropped them off outside Brandon's house.
"You sure you're OK to walk from here?" he asked James.
"Yeah it's fine. I only live round the corner," James replied. He shook Fergus's hand. "Thanks for everything Fergus. I'm so grateful."
"Look after yourself lad." Fergus turned to Brandon with a concerned look. But he only gave him an extra hard hug and muttered, "Come see me anytime alright?"
"Thanks Fergus. You're the best."

They watched as the truck drove off then James turned to Brandon with a desperate look. "Brandon..." he began.
"It's ok," Brandon replied wearily, suddenly feeling like he couldn't bear to hear whatever James was about to say.
"No, please. I want to... explain. Apologise. Last night... well it was weird all round. There was so much going on in my head and, well... Look, that was the first time I've ever kissed another guy." He hesitated, fixing his eyes on Brandon and swallowing hard.
"That was the first time I've ever wanted to kiss another guy," he said quietly. "So, it kind of threw me for a loop. But I'm sorry I ran off the way I did. It wasn't you, I swear."
James took a breath, having finally got out what he'd been wanting to say for hours.
Brandon nodded slowly. "I understand. It was definitely a strange night all round."
"The thing is," James went on after a pause, apprehension now evident in his voice, "Anna and I... I feel like I need to stick with her. We've been together so long... she's a great person..."
"... and you love her?" Brandon couldn't help interrupting, fixing James with a piercing look. James paused, taken aback, then quickly replied, "Sure. Absolutely."
"Convincing."
"You don't know her Brandon." James couldn't help the icy note of annoyance that entered his voice. "You don't know anything about us or what we've been through together..." "That's true enough," returned Brandon, all at once feeling very tired of this. "You're not exactly forthcoming about a lot of things. For months I've been wondering if I'm going mad, wondering it's all been in my head, all the looks and the comments, trying to figure out your moods. One minute you're effusive in your praise, you're looking after me when I'm sick and then the next minute you're barely speaking. Then I finally find out I wasn't imagining everything and get told I have to forget all about it. I... d-damnit I..." He trailed off as James looked at him in confusion. Quickly he raised his arm and stifled two quick sneezes into his elbow.
"Hsch! Hsch!"  He looked up again defiantly.
"Bless you. Look, it's complicated, you must see that," James pleaded. "The last thing I ever meant to do was mess you around. I had no idea you felt like that. But the way I treated Anna is wrong too. I hate that I'm hurting anyone but what can I do?"
You can be honest about your own feelings, Brandon felt like saying. Instead he was overtaken by a couple more sudden sneezes. "HSchew! Hah... hahschew! God." He sniffled and rubbed his nose, looking anywhere but James.
"Bless you, again," said James, with a perceptive glance. He didn't say anymore about the sneezes however. Instead, he took a deep breath and said with trepidation, "I think... car sharing maybe isn't... the best idea anymore either..." He trailed off as Brandon gave a bitter laugh.
"Right, of course. Fine, whatever." He turned to go into his house.
"Brandon, please..." James began desperately.
"No, you know what? Fergus gave me a piece of advice last night and I'm going to follow it. I deserve to be happy. And I deserve better than this. See you around."
He walked away and disappeared into his house as James looked on helplessly. A couple of tears escaped and he brushed them away quickly, before taking a couple of deep breaths and setting off towards his own house.

Poor foolish James.  No matter what you do, someone is going to get hurt, doofus.  Obligation is always such a good reason to stay in a relationship.  I agree Brandon, you do deserve better.  Leave James alone until he comes to his senses!  Poor baby, getting sick again too.   Tsk. I thought this section was written perfectly.  It wasn't over the top or super angsty, it was just a little angst, a little hurt, a lot of tired, and a lot of someone just being done with the other one's bullshit.  Embrace your gayness James, it will hurt less in the long run.