Sneeze Fetish Forum

What do you do for a living?

The Mute Poet

Building somewhat on Mitsu's "How are we all spread out?" thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what we all did for a living/have had extensive experience in doing/are studying to be able to do.

Now, that got me to thinking about a passage I'd read earlier this year in my anthropology textbook that related to the formation of social groups. It said that there were two main types of social solidarity; mecahnical and organic. Mechanical solidarity being defined as "people who are similar joining together, with little mutual need" and creates weaker social bonds. Organic solidarity, however, arises when "people with different abilities and resources are grouped together in a complementary fashion, building on need, and creating more enduring social bonds".

Now, it strikes me that much of the community seems to fall into the "organic" category, in that so many people bring so much of their own personal talents/quirks/knowledge to the community that it has long been about more than just sneezing.

It's clear our professions only make up a part of what we bring to the table, but I think in most cases they represent significant spheres of knowledge/expertise that we can each draw on for each other. And to me one of the coolest things I've seen in my time here has been members offering their professional advice to others, and the knowledge that a lawyer, computer programmer, nurse, etc could pop up when you least expect it and be happy to share their experience with us all.

Anyway, the hefty introduction aside, I'm in university studying to become a psychologist (so I'm still awhile away from being able to touch the "in my professional opinion" line) :drool:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I work in a shop, but that's not really relevant.

From the point of view of what makes me who I am on here, I am fortunate/unfortunate to have a lot of money saved up thanks to various members of my close family dieing and not leaving wills. Thus, as a student, I don't go through life thiking "oh God I need money". This means I'm fairly laidback, which I think extends to how I am here. As a student I'm very big on freedom and rights, which ahs also come into my behavious here.

University student studying both history and criminal law. I'm a relativist for a lot of reasons so that comes into my openness to ideas and such things, and why I decided to try give back to the community here.

I have lived overseas in China for 5 months for my last semester of high school, so I have seen vastly different ways of doing things and think thats why a lot of the time I'm stubborn when it comes to relativism :)

Studying comparative literature (/criticism) and wishing to somehow make a living out of it one day.

And yes indeed have I posted a sneezefic that attempts a tongue-in-cheeck pastiche of the style of 19th century Russian fiction. :)

Studying comparative literature (/criticism) and wishing to somehow make a living out of it one day.

And yes indeed have I posted a sneezefic that attempts a tongue-in-cheeck pastiche of the style of 19th century Russian fiction. :)

What do ya do, with a BA in English?

I'm a housewife! :)

*does the 'being a housewife sure beats being a vet' dance*

See, this is exactly what I meant; what a wide sweep of things we've got already... pretty impressive, I'd say.

I think kushami6 came up with an important point though, not every job is entirely relevant in thoroughly shaping our sphere of knowledge (though, depending on what kind of shop you work at, kush, one might still argue you'd know tons more than the rest of us about what you sell). That said, feel free to follow his very insightful lead and let us know what other factors have shaped what you know/how you act if you feel that your occupation isn't an entirely relevant answer.

Thanks to all those who've answer thus far as well!

Currently I am an inbound bilingual call-centre rep, but my background is varied. I have a Library and Information Technology diploma, worked in two different libraries (discovered that I am NOT cut out to be a school librarian... I have ZERO patient for other people's kids). I worked in a television station doing a bit of everything (that's where I started doing voice-over work, done camera, lighting, sound, and CG operation for our triple-A baseball team), volunteered one summer doing voice-over work for the CBC, I've worked in an animal disease research lab (that was fun - yuck!), I've worked in a physical rehab centre as a ward orderly, I used to be a registered massage therapist, I was a published journalist, I worked as a telemarketer for a year (I was very young and very desperate), I worked for a phone sex line a LOOOOONG time ago (like before I was legal LOL), I worked retail, I worked as a baker for six months, I have worked as an events planner (I did a few weddings, some big university dos and a Minister's dinner lecture) and I spent several years as an executive assistant to certain high level government officials.

What I'd really like to do is pretty much anything that would allow me to work from home.

I'm in university studying to become a psychologist (so I'm still awhile away from being able to touch the "in my professional opinion" line) :lol:

ME TOO!!! Yay!

I hope I'll be able to work with teens and/or young adults. I've had quite some trouble with depression and I really hope I'll be able to help people through thier own rough times. I wouldn't really mind being a teacher, though, so I might also get some sort of degree where I could teach along with eventually going to grad school or med school with psychology.

My ultimate dream, since I love horses, would be to own a theraputic riding stable... where I could help people who are hurting both mentally and physically with my favorite creature of all time :)

Wow Lynn you sure have done a lot of different things, thats neat. Iv had a lot of part time jobs but really im in college magoring in business managment, I hope to work at some big company someday. What I really would like to do though is commericial realestate and buying and selling properties but I have to get rich first. Since I was 12 I have worked as a busboy at a real italian restaraunt in Boston, worked for a plumber, worked maintainence at this apartment complex, worked at Market Basket for like 5 months, worked at Toys R Us for like 5 months. Right now I work construction at my uncles company in the summer when Im not in school, and I work selling christmas trees in the winter. I try to stay busy and stay grounded.

YAY! I'm an actress! At a small, poor, local theater. But still, an actress, 100%.

I just graduated with a BA in theater and sociology. I am still trying to decide what I want to go to grad school for. :-P

I'm an author and housewife with kids. Working hard on my book, and yep, it includes sneezing ;)

How are we classifying what we do for a living? I've got plenty...

I started out studying Journalism. Graduated college with a diploma. Hated it.

Went to work for 2 years in retail, in order to live paycheck to paycheck.

Gave all that up for working at a gas station/coffee shop, where I am now in my third year of being a coffee wench ...

Part time coffee wench, while I am in my second and final year of Early Childhood Education. That will allow me to be a childcare worker, nanny, kindergarten teacher, or an educational assistant (EA) in elementary schools.

I do believe I am going back for one more year to complete a degree in Developmental Service Work. That gives me an advantage over others for an EA position, and that's what I plan on doing with the rest of my life.

Archived