Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Lone and the Loner - Complete (9 Parts)

Scion

Ooo! Is she's gonna die? Yay yay yay! Happy dance! I'm so so so happy! And if she lives I will be really really mad! So mad I might not spare you! Huh? How you like me now? Okay so.... Why was there not more Talson/Mabot in this chapter thing? Cause they really really need to kiss and make up. And Kara has newly renewed my hatred for her. That bitch! Pretending she has the right to be worked about talbot! The nerve of her. I just- BiTcH!!!!! Gahhhhh! Cindy annoys me. Cookies- chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin choc chip? When will I take control of the pack? Next wednesday, or the tuesday after that? You say I'll get my answers soon? Right? Yay!! Okay. I'm watching scary movies where every one dies so I gotta go... Bye bye! Great writing

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm dead. Your writing killed me. :boom: I exploded. Well, that's what you get for doing a cliffhanger. You kill me. :D It's okay! :wub: I forgive you! :hug: Great chapter! Update soon! And no stupid cliffies next time! :unsure: Hate those things.

BYE! :lol:

P.S.*whispers*Tassielli kind freaks me out. :bleh:

BYE! Again. :bleh:

Le gasp! I can't decide if it's the Lone who's got Kara, or an extremely, uncontrollably jealous Mason...But maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I'm dying to see what happens!

Ohhh, Mason pinching Talbot's nose when he sneezed...killed me dead. It was SO achingly adorable. :bleh:

And as a response to your response to my comment! Your comments pretty much kill me, too! I freaking love you, like, SO much! When we're both rich and famous, we need to have brunch, like, every week. That'll be AWESOME. And holy crap, we should totally go all David Levithan & Rachel Cohn and co-write a book by every other chapter. O.O We will take the literary world by storm!

Lol. But once again, marvelous update, love! I crave it...SO MUCH. >:3

Darling! It is my upmost pleasure to comment, I cannot bear not too! A writer like you deserves recognition, praise, and, if the forum had awards, lots and lots of them! This part brought just a few tears to my eyes with it all, and maybe I'm emotional, but I was also grinning like an idiot. I am on the edge of my seat for more.

I like Kara *a lot* and at this point she is actually my favorite character in this thread... so I hope she ends up safe and returns in another of your stories. (Also I want to know what is up with Cian-- in and out of hospital? I could sink my teeth into that. So to speak.)

I haven't been able to comment on this before, but it is so good and I love it. This story is one one my favorites on here.

I love Mason and how conflicted he is about Talbot, and how he thinks that he hates him, but then he needs to protect him, all while being completely confused. Talbot's a huge cutie, and how he needs the pack or else he will die, but he can't bring himself to kill the lone.

I can't wait to find out what happened with Talbot's parents and why the pack hates him so much, and I can't wait to find out what will happen with Kara.

This story is just so awesome, and I'm in love with it. Please keep writing!

Mason cupped the back of his head, keeping it in place as Tal geared up for another sneeze, tiny shivers running though his frame. “Hhh…ihh…nG’gUSHmphh!-hh. ‘Scuse…me.” He shivered, teeth clacking together.

“You’re excused,” Mason said gruffly, his demonic, traitorous hand petting Tal’s hair as he spoke. “Just don’t do it again.”

Another infinitesimal jump of the lips. “Can’t…make any…promises.”

:rolleyes::) :) :lol::hug::drool:

that kind of PURE sweetness killed me!!! :boom:

awesome update :D

AND will there be alan and ferryn in the next update?????????

YES??? PLEASE???

am dying from excitement!!!! :blink:

please moarrrrr! :wub:

OMG DUUUDE I LOVE YOU, MAN. :lmfao: Who cares if you were testing my reactibility, he fainted, and Mason gets a little werewolf heart attack. I'm a very happy camper, yup.

And like queenie, I also really like Kara. Do you like her enough to give her a happy love story too? D; Poor girl deserves one. OHMYGAAAWD WHAT IF SHE SUDDENLY MET ONE OF THE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE PACK WHILE WAITRESSING AND SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL BLOSSOMS. o 3 o Would it be considered fanfiction if I borrowed Kara in a story?

PS- I'm alive. ;)

obsessed: AH! Seriously so thrilled you like this so much! *dances*

sneezytwilight: For some reason I always end on cliffies, even when I don't mean to. :( Glad you still like it, though!!!

Tassielli: Bahaha, you really want me to kill her, don't you? But I can't! Lots of people like her. I have plans for her, too...but I don't dare say the word "Cindy," for fear you might kill me too! Eeeeep! Hmm, any kind of cookie would be awesome. The more chocolate the better. You will officially take control of the pack this coming thursday! I'd say good luck, but you don't need it! NOO scary movies where everyone dies! Me no like those. Me like happy movies. Happyhappyhappy. And happy books, too, unless I'm the one writing it. :P

Bubbles!: GOOD! You better forgive me...even though there might be another cliffy coming up. Teehee. I apologize in advance. But it's not a bad cliffy. I'M SORRY! *hugs*

Awesome Galaxy: You and the word "wrong" do not belong in the same sentence!!! YES. That really, truly, completely needs to happen. Weekly brunches? YES please. And ohmygod! I'm dead serious, we should do that! It would be amazingly awesome to work with you and HOW freaking fun would it be for me to have direct contact with your imagination !!! ?? Beyond fun. 100% serious, we have to do this some day. We must. And thank you! LOVE! :heart:

CrushCrush32: *melts into puddle of grateful goo* Thank you does not cover it. You make me the happiest person ever, and I'm so glad my story can make you smile AND tear up! *incoherent glee*

queenie: I'm glad you like Kara! I like her, too. And as for Cian, he and Nyssa will definitely have a story, and he will need lots of taking care of. :P

Weirdo Girl: Thank you so, so much! I LOVE that you love this. I appreciate your comment enormously, and it made me so happy! I have a thing for conflicted characters, as you may have guessed, so I'm glad you like that about Mason. :)

Ciuty80: Haha, thank you!!! And yes, Alan and Ferryn are coming! Now! And hopefully there'll be more sweetness later on. :sicksmiley02:

Emily: Muahaha! I love you too! And I love that I was able to get to you. I feel so accomplished. I do happen to like Kara, as it happens, so there might be a story in the future, and I may know who she is gonna end up with...maybe. Not a pack member, BUT I think you'll be satisfied...LMAO, you like Kara that much? Me likey. And OH YAY you're alive! *happy dance*

Part Seven:

FOUR YEARS AGO

- - -

What kind of creeper stalks his own mom?

Talbot sighed.

Then again, maybe she deserved it. What kind of Were is so wrapped up in herself she doesn’t even notice her son’s car tailing her? Or maybe she had and just didn’t care.

It didn’t matter, anyway. There was only one reason his mom would be meeting Hal North at a motel in the middle of the night. Nothing he didn’t already know.

Until a black sedan pulled into the motel lot, and his dad’s Lone, Rowena, got out. Moving confidently, she strode up to the door his mom had gone through, opened it, and disappeared inside.

What. The. Hell?

Why would - ?

He cut the thought off before it could fully form. He so wasn’t going there. He thought about going back to his car, wondering if he should try to peek through the motel room’s window. Maybe it wasn’t what he thought. Maybe it was some kind of pack meeting. He took a step toward the building.

“Spying on anyone in particular?” asked a voice from behind him.

Talbot flinched. How had someone snuck up on him? And he’d thought his mom was self-absorbed. He may as well have been deaf for all he’d been using his ears.

“Who are you?” he asked, trying to disguise how unnerved he felt standing outside some seedy motel in the middle of nowhere…in the dark.

Gravel crunched as whoever it was drew nearer. “Don’t have a name. But you can call me Leif. L-E-I-F, not L-E-A-F, if you want to write it on your hand as a reminder.”

How…? Talbot glanced down, drawing his hands out from his jeans pockets. They were covered with various notes, things he wanted to remember, and just random words that popped into his head. He liked to write them down because it gave the illusion of freeing up brain-space.

But this was a voice he’d never heard before, so how could he possibly know?

“No, you don’t know me,” the voice went on as if reading Tal’s mind. “But I know you.” A dark laugh. “Cliché, right? And no, I am not a stalker or a serial killer - not that you could talk.”

“What do you want?” Impatience tugged at Tal, but he didn’t turn around. He wasn’t sure he wanted to see the guy’s face, not if it was anything like his voice.

“Oh, nothing.” Was that sadness he heard in the man’s voice?

“Everyone always wants something,” Talbot replied. He felt kind of strange, like there was something he should know but didn’t.

Silence followed, and when Tal turned around, the man was gone.

He was alone.

- - -

PRESENT DAY

- - -

“Calm. Down,” came the hissed demand. The voice was deep, almost guttural, and spiked with some kind of wild power that sent shiver-spiders down Kara’s spine. “I’m not going to hurt you. I just want that pretty little ring on your finger. You hand it over, and I leave. You go home, run into your husband’s embrace, and weep it all out of your system. Sound like a plan?”

Kara’s heart seized. Her ring. The one Del had given her. God, he’d gotten down on his knees and he’d told her he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her; she’d believed him. And now, like a fool, she was still wearing his damn ring, as if he hadn’t abandoned her without a word, without a goodbye. Could she be any more pathetic?

Angrily, she jerked the gold ring from her finger, glaring down at its glittering diamond center, its tiny wreath of rubies. In her fury, she almost forgot to be afraid.

“Good girl,” the man in her back seat said in a tone oddly soothing. “Now give it here, and the big bad wolf will be on his way.” She could make out the bare outline of his features in her rearview mirror, but didn’t dare turn around.

Not trusting her voice, she simply held the ring out behind her. His fingers never touched hers as he snatched it from her grasp.

“Thank you kindly.” He actually sounded sincere, which did little to calm Kara’s nerves; in fact, his apparent civility only alarmed her further.

She held her breath, sweat breaking out on the back of her neck as she heard her back door crack open. Oh, please God, let him leave. Please just let him go. I have to get back to my baby. And Talbot. They need me. Please, please, PLEASE.

“And ma’am.”

She flinched.

“Have a good night.”

The door clicked shut.

She waited, blood shrieking in her ears.

Click.

The door edged open again, and dread and terror filled her. He was going to kill her. He wouldn’t take the chance she could identify him. They’d find her weeks later, chopped up into little unrecognizable bits in his basement freezer.

“One question,” he said, “and then I swear I’m dust.”

She couldn’t speak, so she gave a jerky nod, trembling all over.

“I’m looking for someone by the name of Talbot Frost. You wouldn’t happen to know him, would you? Small town and all.”

Her heart nearly stopped. What did this man want with Talbot? “N-no. I don’t know anyone by that name,” she stammered, certain he could tell she was lying.

“You’re lying,” he said, confirming her fears. “And I get it. You’re trying to protect him, right? Well so am I. Just tell me what you know. Anything at all.”

Why? Why is this happening? Drawing a quivering breath, she made herself relax. She couldn’t just fall apart. People were counting on her.

“I won’t tell you,” she said, her voice almost steady.

“I think you will,” he commented, a seductive pull coloring his words. “Tell me, please. Tell me what you know about Talbot Frost.”

And, for some awful, horrible, terrible, dreadful reason…she did.

- - -

"Probise dot do dry do kill theb whed they ged here," Talbot said as Mason paced in front of the couch. "I dod't wadt ady blood on the carpedts, or I'll have do pay for id."

Mason paused. "Is that the only reason?"

Tal didn't answer; he was preoccupied by the sneeze that appeared to be slowly creeping up on him. First his lids lowered, making him look sleepy. Then his brows slipped up a fraction of an inch, and his nostrils widened as his top lip trembled up to display the white of his annoyingly perfect teeth. He draped a hand loosely over the bottom half of his face. A tremor rolled through his frame as he fell into a trio of deep, rasping sneezes. "hK'kZS-chSH! Huh! Huh...hUH'nXGthCHoo!-uhh..heh...isSHUmtschh!" A drawn-out slurping sniffle followed by a yawn and another sniffle.

You don't care. Just...shut up. Think about something else, dumbass.

Mason was almost relieved when the door to Talbot’s apartment banged open and two people burst in, one a scruffy looking guy who appeared like he had just rolled out of bed, and one a younger guy with nut brown hair, freckles, and an anxious expression.

Mason didn’t like the look of either of them.

“Talbot!” Freckles made a dash for the sofa, then stopped short as Mason lunged into his path with an uncontrollable growl.

“Base,” Tal whispered, struggling to sit up. “Stop. You probised.”

Mason frowned. “You have memory issues.”

“He bight be able do help,” Tal reasoned. “You’re id charge. We ged id. Mbasond: Alpha. Mbasond: the boss. Everyode else: underlidgs. Dow, cad you please step aside?”

He didn’t like it one bit, but Mason took a step back so Freckles could pass. Scruffy was glaring at Mason with obvious distrust - smart guy.

“You’re Mason, aren’t you?” Scruffy asked as Freckles sat down next to Tal and helped him into an upright position by touching him.

“Hands to yourself!” Mason boomed.

Freckles jumped a little, eyes flying wide.

Tal scowled. “Mbasond. Shud. Up. Actually, why dod’t you ad Alad have sobe kide of staredowd. I bedt he beadts you.”

“Yeah, right,” Mason scoffed, offended. “Are you kidding me? I could beat this ass in a staredown in my sleep.”

“Udlikely,” Tal smiled. “Udless you sleep with your eyes oped. Which I happed do doe is dot the case.”

A tense silence unfolded, broken finally by Freckles. “This is terribly bad, Tal. I can’t help you. I mean, my magic…” Sadness spread over his face for an instant before he shielded his expression. “It can’t be as it was before.” He glanced at Mason. “Can’t he get you back into the pack?”

Tal shook his head, defeat all over his face. Mason hated that look more than he’d ever hated anything in his life.

“Th-they…” Tal paused, rubbing at his nose. He squinted, taking in a deep, slow breath as if testing a tickle. His brows tipped up, then slammed together as he buried two sneezes in his elbow. “uH’ettSHhiiEEW! Eh’tUSShchUH!-mhhh. ‘Scuse me," he said, sounding less congested. "They gave me a chance and I failed.”

“So you’re just going to give up?” Alan barked.

Freckles or Ferryn or whoever he was swiveled to stare at Alan. “Wouldn’t it be nice if we could all just be…nice?”

“No,” Alan said.

Ferryn pouted. “You’re a meanie.”

“People,” Mason gritted, losing his patience. “Are you able to help at all or not? Because if not, please be NICE enough to remove yourselves.”

Ferryn merely smiled secretively and shook his head. “There is one way…that is, if you don’t wish to rejoin the pack.”

Talbot opened one eye. “What is it?”

“Well…”

“Spit it out,” Mason demanded, biting down on his tongue to prevent himself from tackling Ferryn to the ground and beating the crap out of him.

Wincing, Ferryn said, “You could start your own pack.”

Mason could have killed him. “You’re sitting there trying to tell ME how Weres live their lives? Seriously? A human? And I’m supposed to, what, smile and nod my head? Not gonna happen.”

A shrug from Ferryn. “I never claimed I knew everything. I only wish to help. Perhaps you know of another way?”

Alan laughed.

Mason glowered. “You need three Weres to start a pack, genius. We only have two.”

Talbot’s eyes darted open, revealing his astonishment. He hastily pinched off a stifle between clenched fingers, “mB’tCHmph!-hh,” then said with a sniff, “Mason?”

“Don’t.” Mason turned away. If he put a label on this, if he tried to dissect what he was doing and why, he’d go insane. Instead, he wracked his brain for a solution. None of the other Weres would help; he knew that much. They all hated Tal with a burning passion - not that Mason didn’t, of course.

He hated Tal, but he couldn’t let him die. Damned if he knew why, but Talbot dying was possibly the worst thing he could imagine. He held onto that “possibly” with desperate vigor.

Tal slumped against Ferryn, his exhaustion stamped in dark half-moons hovering beneath his eyes. When Ferryn the Freckled put an arm around Tal, Mason nearly lost it. But the relief and gratitude on Tal’s face as he rested his head on Ferryn’s shoulder stopped Mason cold.

HE should be the one doing that, not this idiot little human pixie. But it was his own fault for keeping his distance. He could have been there. He’d chosen not to be.

Without lifting his head from Ferryn’s bony shoulder, Talbot pressed the back of his hand to his nose, crushing it from side to side, his chest kicking as his breath hitched. “Hup’nMPHshht!-uh.” He sneezed against his knuckles, jaw already slack as he prepared himself for the next explosion. “hH’pFFttch!-mMK’shxshh!-hahh. Hh…” He looked up at the ceiling, chest heaving, fist floating in front of his face, puffy eyes squeezed shut, and then ducked forward with a wrenching: “uhR’rUSHngg!-uhh.”

Sniffling and rubbing his eye, Tal returned his head to Ferryn’s shoulder and yawned while Ferryn patted his back in a friendly, concerned manner.

“Blessings to you,” Ferryn murmured.

A tired sigh. “Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

“You guys are killing me. I can’t listen to this.” Alan put his face in his hands and shook his head. “No one is that nice.”

“No one but us,” Ferryn winked. “And you. When you wish to be.”

Talbot let loose with a sneeze from out of nowhere; too surprised to attempt to cover it, he simply sneezed down toward Ferryn’s lap, his head bouncing on Ferryn’s shoulder. “ESSHumpphh!-hhoh, crap.” He ran a wrist under his nose. “Sorry. ‘Scuse me.”

“It’s no problem at all,” Ferryn assured him, but he looked worried.

But not as worried as Mason felt.

Not even close.

Mason pivoted in place as someone banged on the apartment door. “Who the hell is it? Any other weird friends you’d like to tell me about, Tal?”

“Um. Noooo. I guess it could be Kara.” He winced. “Crap, I meant to call her.”

Mason scowled deeply. “Not her again. Let me deal with this.” He marched to the door and yanked it open.

Tal had guessed right. It was Kara.

But she wasn’t alone.

- - -

Don't hate me. :)

Oy!!!! This isn't as bad of a cliffy. Gosh, why/how do you write soooo well and intriguing!!I love the self conflict it sounds like Mason is in!

I'm really glad to be reading your stories or story 'cause they are all sorta intertwined in a way. You are probably the most creative, amazing, detailed, intriguings, cliff-hanger-prone, smart, writer on here! ♥

And... another cliffy. :( God! Wish cliff hangers were never invented! I hate you! I HATE this! God! Why?! WHY?! :sicksmiley02:

:30 Minutes Later:

Sorry. :) I don't hate you. I just hate the stupid cliffies. But... GOD I can't believe I'm about to say this (well, type it anyway) they DO keep me intruiged. Well, anyway I'm happy you didn't kill Kara. Unlike some people I know. *cough* Tassielli *cough* I like her. :P Great chapter! Update soon!

BYE! :)

P.S. To Tassielli: Please don't kill me! :P *goes off to hide*

Oh, good Gooooood. Massive cliffhanger killed me! x.x

One of the best updates, I think. I love how you brought Alan and Ferryn in. I forgot how much I freaking love him! :sicksmiley02: His sweet little comments just made me die. Oh my gosh, "Wouldn't it be nice if we would all just be...nice?" just completely did me in. He's just so insanely adorable! I want to squish him SO badly. And I couldn't stop laughing every time Mason would want to kick the crap out of him. Poor Ferryn just wants to help. :(

And YES. I'm dead serious, we NEED to do that madness. What could it be? F/M? M/M? A mystery? A drama? A dysfunctional family story?? The possibilities are endless with the two of us! :P

Scion, dear, you age me terribly with these cliffhangers!! None the less, as usual, your update has made me a better person, oh dear, I just get cheesier and cheesier don't I? Anyway, this was as amazing as ever, enough to just make my heart explode :( Keep it up babes! I love you :sicksmiley02:

HATE you!?!?! Holy freaking hell I LOVE you!! Tal is soo sooo sooooo amazingly ADORABLE! ME WANT.. Not to play favorites or anything, (which is basically what im doing lol) but this has got to be my favorite story by you. Of ALLLL time!!! The flash backs of Talbot's childhood make it even better, and even though it's about werewolves I so believe all of this is happening! AND the fact that you creatively wrote in your other characters, in this and other stories of yours, that has to be another awesome aspect of your writing. GAH WOMAN YOU NEED TO GET PUBLISHED. THE WORLD NEEDS THIS CUTENESS!!!! DESPERATELY!!! I will be eagerly bouncing up and down in anticipation of your next update.!!!!

P.S. You've been totally fan - girled!!! XD

So I'm basically just gonna second everything Grey on a Sunday said, especially the part about being fan-girled. Haha. Seriously though, this story is totally awesome. And the boys are so cute and Mason being all "I care....no I don't....I care......no I don't" is so adorable. And poor sneezy Talbot. And Ferryn and Alan and just.....yay!!!!!!!

Muahaha! I love you too! And I love that I was able to get to you. I feel so accomplished. I do happen to like Kara, as it happens, so there might be a story in the future, and I may know who she is gonna end up with...maybe. Not a pack member, BUT I think you'll be satisfied...LMAO, you like Kara that much? Me likey. And OH YAY you're alive! *happy dance*

:) You're making me feel like writing. Which I will be as soon as I reread this. :drool: XD And as for Kara's story, you're the boss. Unless it's the bastard who dumped her on the wedding day. :lol:

And did I miss something with Ferryn? I could swear the last time I heard of him he was a floating little fairy thing that sneezed glitter.

Fixed quote thingy (; ~ obsessed

:wub: alan and ferryn are back!!! for HELP!!! gahhhhhh :drool:

this is wonderful! :lol:

as the others still said, we even CAN`T ever hate you!!! it´s not POSSIBLE, even if we want to :laugh:

your stories are full of endless love and i adore all of your characters!!! :)

i feel a bit sad for mason, he really wants to help tal by himself but isn´t able to - i hope he didn´t get insane :wacko:

i´m so trapped in this amazing story (of course ONLY in a very positive way) :):rolleyes:

please more! :wub:

Enough with the cliffhangers! Are you trying to make me insane :bleh: ? 'cause you should know that I'm at least as badass as Tassielli, if not more. Seriously, I have a second degree black belt in Taekwondo. So me going crazy is not a good idea. At all. Really. :angry:

sneezytwilight: Thank you, darling. *hugs* :D There isn't much of a cliffy in this update! Yay!

Bubbles!: I would hate me, too. Except, I DO update every day, so it's not as evil as it could be, muahahaha! Lol, I'm glad you like Kara, cuz she's gonna get her own story! Anyway, thank you for commenting! There is only a very, very minor cliffy this update. ;) *hugs*

obsessed: Well, I'll bever get tired of "hearing" it. :lol:

Awesome Galaxy: LOL, Ferryn! I must admit his is kinda cute. :rolleyes: And yeah, the thought of Mason wanting to beat him up is so silly, especially since I still sort of think of Ferry as a fairy! Sorry for the evil cliffhanger! Oh God, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. I'd love to write ANYTHING with you. I'm awful at mystery writing, but I do have a slight obsession with dysfunctional families. I like anything with drama that doesn't bleed over into the melodramatic. Butttt since you have the best imagination ever, we should do something really creative and weird!

CrushCrush32: I love cheesy! Seriously, my life could use a lot more cheese. :lol: But really I don't know if I deserve your comments. Not that I'm complaining, of course, because you do make my life so much BRIGHTER! Thank you! I love you, too!

Grey on a Sunday: LOL! Yay! Play favorites all you want. I like to know. :wub: And I'm actually really, really happy you like this one so much, 'cause I'm having sooo much fun writing it. THANK YOU SO MUCH. To know you think I should be published means SO freaking much to me, because it really is my dream. I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a sweet comment. *happy dance*

Rachiella44: THANK YOU! *hugs* I'm glad you're enjoying Mason's inner struggles (though he'd kill me if he knew that!).

Emily: GOOD. Write. Writing is awesome. LMAO, I love how protective you are of Kara already. But I admit "the bastard who dumped her on the wedding day" MAY show up at some point. You'll just have to trust me. I know you'll want to see him suffer painfully, right? :twisted: Oh, and yes you missed something. At the end of "Faerie Tale," Ferryn turns into a human when he gets his wings ripped off. :)

Ciuty80: Thank you! And I'm glad you could never hate me, cuz you meant the world to me! Haha, yeah, Mason is having a bit of a hard time, poor boy. I should start being nicer to him!

EliGirl: Ahaha, I know, I'm so evil. I'm sorry! B) This one only has a very teensy cliffhanger. But please don't kick my ass, or I won't be able to finish the story! :P

Part Eight:

FOUR YEARS AGO:

- - -

Talbot came awake to a world of pain and shouting. Before he could even open his eyes, he was being torn out of his bed by several pairs of rough hands. His arms were yanked behind his back in a crushing grip as he blinked and blinked and blinked, trying to figure out what was happening, trying to wake up.

“Move it!” an angry, hostile voice barked in his ear. “Try anything and I’ll tear off both your arms.”

Try anything and I’ll break off your arms? Huh?

Maybe he was dreaming. Then again, the pain in his wrists made him want to pass out, and he couldn’t remember ever experiencing this much agony in a dream before.

“What’s going on?” he croaked as he was dragged from his bedroom and down the stairs. He squinted in the dark and could just make out the violet eyes and murderous scowl of Russell North, Mason’s father.

“Shut up,” Russell ordered, squeezing Tal’s wrists hard enough to snap bone - and bone did snap…

Blinding pain zoomed through his wrists and up his arms into his elbows; he screamed, and would have gone to his knees had Russell not shifted his grip to keep him on his feet.

“Mom!” Talbot screamed, vision going gray. “DAD!”

“I said SHUT UP!”

What felt like a rock slammed into Tal’s cheek, and yet more agony screamed in his face. Tears clogged his eyes, spilling over as the darkness of his surroundings became profoundly real.

Before he lost consciousness, he managed a single word. A plea, really. A prayer.

“Mason…”

- - -

PRESENT DAY

- - -

“What the hell are you doing here?” Mason yelled, holding his arms out wide to block the door. This asshole was not ever going to touch Talbot.

And, man, he was delusional, thinking every single person and non-person on the planet wanted to get their filthy, grubby hands all over his--all over Talbot.

“Well,” said the Lone, cocking his head to the side. “Isn’t this a surprise.”

“And it’s about to be a beating.” Mason puffed out his chest and clenched his fists, smiling. He really, really wanted to punch someone.

“Kara?” Talbot limped toward them, worry swimming his eyes. “Are you okay?”

Mason glanced at the woman and had to admit she did look pretty bad. Her face was white and glazed with tears. Her eyes were red and swollen, her whole body trembling like a leaf in the wind. She also looked pretty damned pissed-off.

“Oh my God, Talbot. I am SO sorry. I don’t--” She gulped in a shuddering breath. “I don’t know what happened. I swear I didn’t mean to tell him anything. It was like - like I couldn’t stop myself.” She shielded her eyes with a hand, but Mason clearly saw the tears coursing down her ivory cheeks.

Talbot brushed shoulders with Mason, his expression hard as he asked the Lone, “Did you hurt her?”

The Lone held up his hands, taking a wise step back from the doorway. “Hey, I didn’t touch her. Ask her yourself.”

Tal looked to Kara, who nodded, biting her lip in an obvious effort to keep herself from crying. “He never touched me. But, Tal, I’m so sorry--”

“Hey, hey. It’s okay,” Talbot tried to soothe, reaching for her. “Really, Kara. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

She nodded, swiping angrily at her tears. “Are you okay?” She stepped into his embrace, smoothing her hands up and down his back as he hugged her. “I was so worried. I felt like an evil witch for just leaving you like that.”

Mason clenched his teeth with the need to grab the stupid broad by the hair and rip her away from Talbot. She needed to learn to keep her roving hands to her damn self.

To distract himself, Mason focused in on the Lone, who was standing out in the hall, back to the wall, head bowed. “I’ve been a good little wolf,” he said in a near whisper.

“I doubt that,” Mason retorted, sauntering into the hall. “It goes against your evil nature.”

The Lone slowly slid down the wall until he was crouched on the brown-carpeted floor. He still hadn’t looked up. Now he began tracing a finger in a circle across the carpet. “True enough.”

A sneeze sounded from inside the apartment, but Mason didn’t turn around to look; that would mean putting his back to the Lone. And that would be stupid. Dead stupid.

“What are you doing here?” Mason tried.

A shrug. “Looking for Talbot.”

I will kill you. “Why?”

The Lone finally glanced up, meeting Mason’s gaze. “You wouldn’t believe me.”

“You don’t get to decide that.”

The Lone’s mouth twitched. “Would you believe my intentions are entirely honorable?”

“No,” Mason said without hesitation.

A laugh that sounded far from amused. “Exactly.”

He didn’t know why, but Mason suddenly felt a wave of sympathy for the Lone; he just looked so…lost.

“You can come in,” Mason offered. “But there’ll be no touching.”

- - -

Meanwhile, Talbot was putting all his power into not collapsing. Kara was holding his upper arm in a surprisingly tight grip that actually helped steady him as he fell victim to another painful sneeze, compressing his nose between his palms. “hP’MXTchiUH!

Ferryn took hold of Tal’s other arm, and together he and Kara led him back to the couch; Tal colored, feeling even more pathetic than usual, which he hadn’t thought possible.

He collapsed into the squishy cushions, swallowing a groan as not to advertise his utter lack of strength of any kind. He rested his head back, staring blankly up at the ceiling as the next sneeze made itself known . The sensation started between his eyes, then crawled lower and lower until…he flung an arm across his face just as the sneeze broke free.

“HuhH’tCHushZIUuu!-uhh.”

“Blessings!” Ferryn rushed to say. He pulled a green tissue from his pocket and handed it to Tal, who raised his brows.

“W-where’d you g-get - huhh - green t-tissues? Hhh.” He bent forward, resting his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands. “Hahh…” He breathed in through his nose, the need to sneeze so intense he could think of nothing else. “Hehhhuh…hZ’nKSHchFF!-mPHHttshhUH!-hh.”

“Blessings again,” Ferryn said. “And I made them!” He looked very proud of himself. “I’m Ferryn Elfsprite, by the way,” he told Kara. “It is a great pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Kara brightened a little, less pale than she’d been when she’d arrived with the Lone. “I’m Kara Klein. It’s nice to meet you.”

They grinned at each other.

“Enough,” Alan grunted irritably. “You’ll blind each other.”

Ferryn passed Alan an affectionate glance, but didn’t acknowledge the comment - antagonizing Alan was never a good idea.

Kara and Ferryn took a seat on either side of Tal as Alan stood glaring down on them with his arms folded across his chest, looking disapproving.

“It isn’t right you should have to suffer,” Ferryn offered meekly, peering at Tal with sad eyes. All his happiness had vanished, which made Tal feel guilty.

Ferryn didn’t deserve what Tal was putting him through. The only expression he should ever wear, Tal decided, is a smile.

“I wish I knew of another way to help you. There must be another way!” Ferryn exclaimed, suddenly animated. “There’s always another way, Tal. We simply have to uncover it!”

“It pains me to say this,” Alan said, looking indeed very pained, “but Butterfly’s right. If there’s a solution, we can find it. Just don’t expect me to help in the search.”

Tal laughed hoarsely. “You’re such a phony, Alan. You’ll help. You know you will.”

An irritated scowl. “What, you read minds now, wolf-boy?”

“Maybe.” Tal smiled.

Looking absolutely horrified, Alan snapped, “Stay out of my head, kid. For your own good as much as mine. And you’re wrong. Ferryn will help you. It’s what he does. But me?” He laughed. “Not happening.”

Shrugging, Tal glanced to the open door, watching as Mason led the Lone inside. Seriously, what was wrong with the world?

“Mase, wh-what - ” Annoyed with his stupid drama-queen of a nose, Tal clamped his nostrils shut and blasted out a fit of five stifles. “Hh’pfft!-MmpCH!-nxgSH!-uNKTt!-MPHt!-nuhh…” Dizzy, he pressed the heels of his hands into his eyes. “What’s going on?” he asked breathlessly. Man, he’d given himself a headache. Just what he needed.

“I have no idea,” Mason told him grimly, glaring first at Kara, then at Ferryn.

Kara stood, hand on Tal’s shoulder. “I should go check on Cindy. I really don’t like leaving her with a sitter.” She smiled at Ferryn. “It looks like you’re in good hands now, anyway. Probably don’t want me skulking around like your personal shadow.”

“That is very kind of you,” Ferryn said, grinning charmingly up at Kara.

“Yeah, yeah.” Mason rolled his eyes. “You all love each other and want to be friends for life. We get it. Let’s move on.”

Alan cocked a brow in Mason’s direction. “Interesting,” he said.

“I’ll talk to you later,” Kara promised.

“Thanks. Really, Kara.” Tal tried to give her a grateful smile, but couldn’t manage it. Pain pulsed behind his eyes. “I’m sorry I’m such an ass. I don’t mean to be.”

“You’re not an ass.” But she smiled, and leaned down to kiss the top of his head.

Mason growled. Talbot slid him a warning look.

Kara gave Mason a wide birth as she slipped out of the apartment, closing the door behind her.

Silence.

Hihhh…” Tal closed his eyes, nostrils flaring. His lips drew apart and he held a hand up in the general vicinity of his nose. “Heeyy’isshhUMphh!” He waited, his nostrils getting a pretty good work-out. A line appeared between his brows as he shook with another sneeze. “ah’NGttSCHfss!-ehh. ‘Scuse me.”

“Shitdamn,” the Lone breathed, staring hard at Talbot. “It is you.”

- - -

Just wanted to say that this is awesome. Also, that I've spent waaaayyy too much time this week re-reading all of your stories. :) Love your writing!

Hey ho! Bubbles: hey! I just don't like her! I won't kill you! You didn't create her- unlike scion.... Hehe.

And SCION: I absolutely refuse to read Kara's story unless she dies a very painful death! I mAy not even have to kill her. Mason will do it for me! Haha! And I knew it was the lone! I knew it was the lone! After I read that last part I was all like that and jumping up and done until the people in the apartment downstairs told me to stop. So how exactly does that guy know my favorite boy in the whole world- that doesn't exist? Cause if he's like his long lost brother or his father or his uncle or something like that I will run for the hills screaming, "CLISHE!!!" or, "CLICHÉ!!!" Whichever is correct. But maybe, just maybe, I'll be secretly shocked. Or not.

Oh, and I got you double fudge air delight chocolate chunk supersized cookies! That you will really want to eat with some sort of liquid. I'm also trying out this new and unusual thing called paragraphs to make my comments less painful for your eyes. But Ill probably forget to do it next time. Yeah... More mabot! More Talson!more life saving. I mean, he's been dying for how long now? I really want to go back and rereadalan and ferryn now! And fawn over them for days. You see what you make me do! Thankfully I'll be forced to stop by next thursday, because I have a pack to go conquer! Muahahahahah. Not he same with out the !. Hehe. I has to take killing you for creating Kara and Cindy out of my schedule, so I have a lot of down time. Okay. I'm pretty sure I had about 5 too many glasses of wine. Goodbyebye!

Awwww this is so adorabible!!(adorable) Mason is seeming like a pretty nice guy now, it's kinda hard to decide. Tal is so cute!!!!♥♥ ever since i joined this forum, i think i have read EVERY one of your stories posted while I've been here, and they all just amaze the heck out of me!! XD

this is...uhm...yeah...well...amazing :blushing:

my mind is spinning in search of some words for this awesomeness... :cryhappy:

but i don´t know any more words i didn´t use before to tell you

how much i´m in love with this...piece of art... :laugh:

sounds weird (i´m weird too :D ) but i think you get it right :lol:

Archived