Sneeze Fetish Forum

The Lone and the Loner - Complete (9 Parts)

Scion

I...this....it's.....AHHHHHH you broke my brain...again!!!! But seriously, I love this so much, it's like a little joyful party when I see your updates :D Please don't ever stop being perfectly wonderful with your writing, and your personality. Plus, your so gracious!! :cryhappy: can't wait!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*climbes out of hiding spot*Yay, yay! I'm not gonna be killeded, I'm not gonna be killeded! YAY! :laugh: This. Was. Awesome. Mason! :D Talbot! :omg: Now! And I totally knew it was the Lone. I'm all physicy like that. :laugh: Still like Kara. She seems... nice. In her story you should make her all extremey to contradict what you described her as in this story and to make her even awesomer than she already is. But if you don't WHATEVES! This is just the ramblings of a writer with writer's block! How original! :laugh: Good luck with Tassielli! Hope you survive her wrath! :cryhappy: Great chapter! Update soon!

BYE! :lol:

P.S. To Tassielli: No, no, no! You cannot kill her! :blushing: Well, not yet anyway! :innocent: Let her finish her story first!

Then, you can go on an all out massacre! :laugh:

BYE! Again. :bleh:

obsessed: :blushing: Thank you.

Quite Contrary: Haha, thank you! Glad you like my stories so much! :blushing:

Tassielli: Bahaha, suit yourself! You don't have to read it if you don't want to. And NOOO! No cliches are allowed. Okay, I can be cliche I admit, but perhaps there may be a twist you were not expecting? OMG COOKIES. Yummmm. I want them NOW. Muahaha, well if it makes you feel better, I spend the majority of my days planning what to write next in these stories, so they pretty much eat my life! OHH you're gonna be the Alpha! When you are you'll be unstoppable and I won't be able to protect either Cindy OR Kara from you. <3 <3 <3

sneezytwilight: THANK YOU! Yeah, I don't think even Mason knows what to think of himself at this point! And, awww, that is such an honor. Seriously.

Ciuty80: Just knowing you're enjoying this is enough for me! That alone makes me the happiest girl ever, so thank you so much. And yup, I totally get it! Also, weird is a good thing!

CrushCrush32: Ahhhh, you're killing me. Your opinion is so important to me, truly. I appreciate your comments SOO much. THANK YOU! You're so sweet. :laugh:

Bubbles!: Thank youuuuuuuuuu! Yeah, I think I'm gonna do something interesting with Kara in her story, so hopefully you'll like it. Ahahaha, I don't know if I will survive her wrath. She's gonna hunt me down. :lol: *runs into hiding*

Part Nine:

NINE YEARS AGO

- - -

Leif closed his eyes and rolled into a protective ball as the blows reigned endlessly down on him. There’d be a kick here a punch there, all to the harmony of painpainpain. But pain he could deal with; pain, after all, was all he’d ever known.

“Stop it!”

The thrashing dwindled as one of his attackers, probably the ring-leader, shouted back, “And what makes you think you have any say in what I do or don’t do, Tally-Tubby?”

The pavement felt weirdly reassuring to Leif; it seemed as if the ground were somehow on his side. They had something in common, after all. People walked all over both of them. And damn, he was messed up, comparing himself to the fucking ground.

“Besides,” the ring-leaders smug voice went on, “it’s just a stupid, ugly stray. No one’s gonna care if he gets a little banged up.”

“I will,” the newcomer said softly.

Leif felt another stab of pain, but this time it wasn’t physical. Who was this boy? This boy who claimed to care about him?

A scornful laugh from the ring-leader. “You don’t count, Tally-Tubby. You’re not even a real Were. You’re an imposter and everyone knows it.”

“Mason doesn’t,” came the weak reply.

More laughter, hearty and mean. “Riiiight. How could I forget about good old Mason? Is he here? Because…I don’t see him. Do you, Smith? Chase?”

“No,” chorused the minions.

“Just leave him alone,” Newcomer insisted. “You already beat the crap out of him. Unless you’re planning on killing him, why don’t you just go?”

“Why?” Ring-Leader snorted. “Maybe because I don’t take orders from fat, ugly little runts like you.”

“It’s not an order. It’s a question.”

Leif didn’t get to hear Ring-Leader’s reply, because a sudden heavy kick to the back of his head sent him spiraling into blissful unconsciousness.

When he awoke, it was to a universe of raw agony. Every inch of his body ached, and he felt nauseous and dizzy and empty and alone. “I’ve been a good little wolf,” he whispered.

“Hey. You’re awake.”

Leif cringed, expecting another pummeling. Instead, he felt a gentle hand sweep his long, coppery hair out of his eyes. The touch was so soft, so innocent, he nearly broke right there. Oh…lord. It was so…there wasn’t even a word. All he knew was that he wanted it so badly his heart hurt.

“I’m sorry they hurt you.”

It was the newcomer, Leif realized, the one who’d defended him. His eyes burned as his throat began to close. He couldn’t speak.

“They’ve done it to me, too. If that makes you feel any better. Though I don’t see why it would.” His voice was soft and smooth, pleasant, calming. And his hand was like a miracle as it slowly, carefully, rubbed circles over Leif’s sore back.

That soft voice and those soft hands lulled him to sleep - and, man, it had been a long time since he’d slept; being unconscious didn’t count.

When he woke, though, he was alone. He was no longer in the middle of the street. Rather he was tucked up between an aging oak and a rock the size of a small car. The park. He looked around, yawning and looking for the voice.

But it was just he and the setting sun.

He sat up carefully, wincing at the giant bruise that was his body, and heard the crinkle of paper. Frowning, he reached into his pocket and drew out a folded square of paper.

Had to go home. Sorry. If you need ever need anything, call me. It’s okay, even if you think it isn’t. Swear.

- Talbot Frost

(508-439-0893)

And Leif smiled, but he knew he’d never call. Trusting people could only lead to trouble, and he already had enough of that to last twelve lifetimes.

- - -

PRESENT DAY

- - -

Mason saw his chance and threw himself down next to Tal on the sofa. Before he’d made the decision to move, his arm was curled possessively around Tal’s waist.

Mine, he thought. Then, Oh, for fuck’s sake.

Talbot appeared surprised, but pleased, and he subtly inched closer to Mason, mouth tweaking in one of his near-smiles.

Mason tossed Ferryn a gloating look, though Freckles merely smiled, looking even more pleased than Mason felt. He needed to have a serious talk with Tal about his choice in friends, because really

Talbot’s hand suddenly landed on Mason’s knee, squeezing; the kid had a look on his face like he’d just been hit over the head with a golf club and his mouth was wide open. He leaned back, blinking speedily, then twisted to his left, away from Mason, and concealed a sneeze in his elbow; Mason felt Tal’s body shudder.

ehKSSHtchh!-ihh.”

Tal stayed in that position, fingers clenching around Mason’s knee. “Huhh…” A frustrated sigh. “Hhh…tTzNKTschIUH!-uhh’MPSHchffs!-hhhm.” Snuffling liquidly, Talbot straightened, a worn-out gray tinge to his already pale skin. “’Scuse me,” he whispered, nestling his head on Mason’s shoulder.

The Lone was still staring at Talbot, expression blank and cold. “Talbot Frost?” he said, like he didn’t really believe it. “That you?”

Tal nodded without raising his head. “You know me?”

Slowly, cautiously, the Lone moved toward them. He kneeled in front of the sofa, then gazed up at Talbot with something like wonder in his eyes. “You look so…different,” he chuffed. “So…but damn, your voice. Say something. Please, say something.”

Now Tal did lift his head, frowning. “What do you want me to say?” he asked, his tone confused.

“Anything,” the Lone murmured, sounding absurdly reverent, as though he were talking to a god or something. “I just need to hear your voice. Just for a while.” He shut his eyes, the tension melting from him in a visible shiver.

“I’m so tired I feel like my eyes are crossing,” Talbot offered with a half-smile. “Umm. Well, if I can say anything, I guess I’ll just say it: anything. Anything. Anything? This isn’t weird or creepy or anything. It makes complete sense. Did I mention I was tired? Can I stop talking now, because I sound like an idiot?”

Mason felt his brows drift up as the Lone’s mouth curled into what could only be a smile - it was stiff though, like it actually hurt the guy to make the expression.

“You promised it would be okay, even if I thought it wouldn’t be,” the Lone whispered, opening his eyes. “Well, is it still okay?”

Oookay. Mason glanced from Tal to the Lone, utterly lost. “What -”

“Holy…crap,” Talbot interrupted. He got to his feet and crouched down in front of the Lone.

Mason wrestled back a growl, feeling more like a wolf than a man, which was dangerous. He smirked. A little danger never hurt anyone. Or not.

“It’s you,” Tal said, studying the Lone’s face in a way that made Mason want to gut the guy (the Lone, not Tal. Tal would have a different sort of punishment). “Oh, God.” As the color left his face, Talbot lurched to his feet, stumbled into the bathroom, and slammed the door behind him. The faucet turned on.

Mason didn’t think. He lunged for the Lone, ready to rip out his throat with his teeth for upsetting Tal. Before he could, Ferryn latched onto the neck of his t-shirt and jerked him back. Snarling, he turned on Ferryn, seeing red - but once again, he was stopped before he could goddamn kill anyone!

This time it was Alan; the guy grabbed a fistful of Mason’s hair and dragged him off the couch and onto the floor. “Don’t you touch him, asshole!”

“Stop it!” Talbot zipped out of the bathroom and jumped on top of Mason, pinning him to the floor as Mason bucked and thrashed, rage blanking out any chance of rational thought. “Hgt’uTTssCHMkssh! Crap, Mason, calm down. P-please, just - Hik’GdSShtchUU!”

A light mist sprayed the back of Mason’s neck; he abruptly went still, chest heaving, heart hammering. This was bad. He couldn’t lose control like this. “I’m calm,” he gasped. “I’m good. I’m good.”

“Mase.”

Alarm sang in Mason’s veins; Tal sounded weak - too weak. He sat up, reaching for Tal, who immediately fell into his embrace.

“I’m sorry,” Mason told him, wrapping him up tight as Tal trembled with cold. “Shit, Tal, why are you so freezing? You’re scaring me.”

“I--I really don’t think I feel good,” Talbot replied in a thin, scared whisper. “Mase. I--I don’t want to die. Please don’t let me die. Please, Mase.”

Oh. Sweet. Hell.

“I won’t, baby,” Mason vowed, kissing Tal’s hair. “It’s going to be okay. I promise. All we need is one other Were. That’s not too bad.” That is so bad. “We’ll work this out.” How the hell are we gonna work this out? “You’ll be fine.” Christ, Tal, please don’t die.

Talbot rested his face against Mason’s neck. He wasn’t crying - Mason didn’t feel any tears - but damn he felt so fragile.

“Mase.”

“Yeah?”

“I think I’m gonna - g-gonna--ihhh…”

“It’s okay. Shh. I don’t care.” He kissed Tal’s hair again, then his temple. “You’re fine.” But I’m not. I’m sooo not. I’ve lost my damn mind.

Tal shifted his face to Mason’s shoulder. “Hp’nkSHchu!-uhh. Sorry.”

“So am I,” Mason replied, stroking Tal’s hair. Part of him still hated Tal, and he thought maybe part of him always would, but the affection he felt was just too strong. But it didn’t matter. Talbot couldn’t die. That was all that mattered. It outweighed everything else.

He picked Talbot up, sat down on the couch, and gently placed Tal next to him. At once, Tal curled into his side, shaking with another pair of sneezes. “up’SHishmff! Hhh…tCHphhh-iuu!-ehh.”

“Bless you,” Mason whispered, too softly for anyone to hear.

“Talbot,” the Lone said, standing and stuffing his hands in his pockets. “You…need another Were?”

Tal looked at him, nodding.

“Well.” The Lone spread his hands. “You’ve found one.”

- - -

After Kara sent the sitter home, she sat at her tiny kitchen table and sucked down three cups of coffee in an effort to clear her mind. That man had done something to her, had made her tell him things against her will.

A twenty-minute shower and caffeine weren’t going to change that.

But she didn’t know what else to do.

“Mommy?” Cindy walked into the kitchen, chocolate smeared across her chin. “What’s wrong?”

Kara nearly laughed. What WASN’T wrong? “Nothing, sweetie. Go wash the chocolate off your face, okay?”

“Can I have a sip?” Cindy smiled and flashed puppy eyes.

“No!” Kara snapped. “I said, go wash your face. NOW.”

“I hate you!” Cindy cried, and bolted from the room. Her bedroom door slammed a few seconds later.

“God,” Kara sighed, on the verge of tears. She had to go back, check on Talbot. Once again, she’d left him alone with some weird, menacing stranger.

Way to go, Klein.

When the knock came on her door, she rushed to answer it, thinking it was Talbot. It wasn’t. It was…him. The one who’d stolen her ring.

He was down on his knees, bent completely over with his face pressed to the ground, his palms spread facedown on the carpet.

He breathed her name, just barely, a rustling of air. “Kara.”

Her lungs turned to stone as a chill flooded her bones. Something was…off. A shadow fell across her heart, and she felt suddenly sick all the way to her soul.

When he spoke again, his voice was thick, choked; he didn’t lift his face. “I’m so sorry, Cherry. I’m so sorry.”

No. No. It couldn’t be. It was a lie. An awful, evil prank. He was playing with her, just like he had before, making her hear things she didn’t want to hear, making her think things she didn’t want to think. But it was all lies. It had to be.

Cherry. Oh. God.

Her heart…it hurt so bad, so, so bad. It felt like she was dying, like her chest was caving in as her heart was ripped straight out through her ribs.

He looked up at her then, tears flowing in rivers down his cheeks, and…that face - she didn’t know it. She really didn’t. Nothing about it was familiar. Nothing.

Except the eyes.

Navy blue and deeper than any ocean.

Oh dear God, she thought. “Del?

- - -

THIS IS SO INTENSE!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

My little sister just stole the words right out of my mouth! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I was like this: :laugh: Anyway, I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!! :blushing: Well, :lol: the part about Leif joining the pack I knew but the part about Kara! Oh my god! I did not see this one coming! :hyper: I love this! I love you! :hug: THIS IS AWESOME! :lol: Great chapter! :jumpy: Update soon!

BYE! :blushing:

Awwww 1st off is Mase is EXTREMELY adorable at this point and makes me melt all the way!

2nd is the Loner confuses me now, i though he was bad, now he seem good or alright or a player i can't tell......

3rd What the heck do you write so intensly! like seriously!!It's like reading a novel that you have to wait for the next part.

I don't think I'll ever stop thinking that you are soooooooooo amazing at writing!!

Okay, so I have something personal against Del because he resembles a lot of punch-kick-slap worthy men I know of. I trust you, Scion. ;D I can't wait to see what "different punishment" Tal's getting from Mason. :9 Heh. Bad me. Writing is awesome. :> It feels great to write something and share it with people who like it. :blushing: *Something* may show up on the forum from a certain someone sometime soon. Good god, that had one too many "some's" in it. ==;

And I think I may have to revisit Ferryn and Alan. o 3o

just a few little things:.....my opinion.....means something....to YOU?! that is like heart shatteringly wonderful, you have no idea, i read your reply and squealed like a tiny fangirl! anyway, moving on from my moment, back to this update!!! i cant even find the right words to describe it! no word seems to be right at all!!! its just so Ahhh and awww and ooooooo and o.o. so yeah, keep it up and i may just keel over into a pile of muushhh

Oh one hand, I HATE that I wasn't able to get on the forum long enough to read this last night, but then again, I'm SO freaking glad that I was able to read two chapters! Ohhh, gosh, where do I begin? The drama? The budding romance? The freaking intense cliffhangers and surprises? Or the SNEEZES. God, those are soooo damn hot. :(

Okay, first: Mason is SO damn adorable with how he's so protective of Talbot, and how he just sort of owns him. And Alan and Ferryn's relationship is just amazing, I think; How their personalities are polar opposites, and Alan seems like he gets irritated with Ferryn's happiness a lot, but when the time comes, he's there for him. And then the Lone! I love how his character is developing, with his personality and history. AND KARA AND DEL. Ohhhhhh, wow, that left my jaw completely dropped. :laugh:

I cried. I rarely cry when I read things. I've teared up many times while reading your stories, but I just full-out cried when Talbot was saying that he didn't want to die...Ohhh, this is coming along so fantastically. Twists and turns and tears and unexpected truths...I just love this SO flipping much.

AND! As a response, thanks so much! Your words totally spoil me. ;) And yes, we totally must do this! Would wanna do it sooner rather than later? We could totally start this madness. If you would want to, at least. I could go either way. :)

So, yes, yes, I love this like mad, your updates are my oxygen, and I can't wait for the next installment! LOVE!!

What the hell? I really don't care about Kara. But yay for her pissing Cindy off. But nooooo.... I don't want to hear about her! Jeez. But I do want to see Talbot survive. So come on, hurry up, let's do this already. How do they make a pack? Cause I'll be really disappointed if it's just by saying, like, "We are now a pack." or some other bs. But then again the anticlimaticness of that migh make me bust out laughing. Cause I'm just odd like that. Grr so I have to go back to college after Irene is over and I am so not looking forward to it. So by the time I've arrived I might just turn around and run under my bed. Then read some more of this. Cause this is amazing. And mason rawness is oddly "appealing." yeah. Okay then. Ttfn.

Ohhhhhhh, you guys! I love you all, as you know. Thank you so much for your amazingly kind words. Sorry about missing a day. Had lots of crap to do...today as well, actually, which is why I'm not responding to all of you individually. *hugs all of you*

Part Nine:

Kara was in hell. She had to be. She had died and now she was in hell to be tormented for the rest of her life.

On the floor, Del stared up at her with tears staining his cheeks, looking…like an entirely different person. The Del she’d known had had a big, crooked nose, a slightly too narrow brow, and a strong, cleft chin. This one had a thin, straight nose, a wide brow, cheekbones just a shade too high, and a cleft-less but still-strong chin. And he looked older. A lot older.

“Del.” It was a wonder she could speak at all with her throat so constricted. “It’s you. Isn’t it?”

He shut his bruised eyes. “Yes. It’s me.”

“You left,” she said, sounding distant to her own ears. Cold.

His shoulders lifted and fell in a shrug. He shook his head.

She nodded, as if this were utterly normal, as if her heart weren’t breaking - again. “Well, you got what you came for. I gave you the ring. You can leave now.”

He flinched as if she’d punched him. “Cherry, I - ”

“No. I don’t have to listen to this. At all. You don’t get to explain, Del. You don’t get anything. You’ve taken enough from me already.”

And she shut the door in his ravaged face.

- - -

FOUR YEARS AGO:

- - -

When Talbot slogged his way back to consciousness, he was curled up on the floor of a big, metal cage. He sat up, head spinning, arms hanging limply by his sides, and looked around.

He was in Hal’s basement.

“Talbot? Son?”

Tal swung his head to the left to see his dad trapped in a cage of his own. He had a purpling bruise darkening one eye, and a split lip, but looked otherwise unharmed. He wrapped his large hands around the bars and leaned toward Tal.

“They’ve killed her,” he hissed, his eyes twinkling with feverish glee. “They’ve killed her, Talbot, and we’re next. We’re next, we’re next, we’re next!”

Tal shrank back away from his dad, nausea boiling in his gut. Killed her? Killed her? “Wh-what are you talking about?” he asked haltingly.

His dad grinned; it wasn’t a happy expression - it was almost insane. “The Alpha is dead,” he chirruped, sweat pouring down his face. “She killed him. She KILLED HIM! You knew, didn’t you? Huh, yes, yes? You knew? Your scent was everywhere, son of mine - everywhere. And you’ve got me killed! KILLED! DEAD!”

He burst into a fit of giggles that quickly morphed into sobs as Tal gaped at him, unable to process anything he’d just been told. And his dad - he’d always been the calm one, the normal one. This didn’t make any sense and oh God his head hurt and his wrists felt like they’d been put through a meat grinder.

Someone screamed not far away, a scream of total agony and terror. His mom.

- - -

PRESENT DAY

- - -

Leif reentered Tal’s apartment without knocking. He slunk into the TV room with his head bowed and his hands buried in his pockets.

“You okay?” Tal asked. He made an effort to sit up straighter as not to seem like a lump.

Leif just shook his head. “Let’s do this, okay? I’m ready now.”

Tal wanted to protest, to say they’d deal with Leif’s drama first, but he felt too weak, too far away, and it scared the crap out of him. “Okay. Mase?”

Mason nodded, face set grimly. “We’ve wasted enough time already.” He glanced at Leif. “I assume you want to fight this out?”

Leif looked torn, frowning ferociously. “No. No, I really don’t think it’s worth the blood. But thanks for the offer.”

“So it’s agreed, then?”

“Yes,” Tal and Leif confirmed.

“All right, then.” Mason stood, placing a kiss to the top of Tal’s head as he did. “I’ll get the knife.”

“The knife!?” Ferryn exclaimed, looking a bit green. “What knife?”

Alan said, “Calm down, Butterfly,” and wrapped an arm around Ferryn’s shoulders.

“Aha!” Mason crowed, grinning. “You mean there’s something you don’t know!? I’m shocked.”

“M-Mason.” Tal pinched his itchy nose closed. “Hurry ub. Hg’tCHHff!-uhh. Please.” ‘Cause I feel really, really weird and I don’t know how much longer I can take this.

With a nod, Mason left, returning mere seconds later with a knife held at his side. He looked anxious, determined. He sat down on the floor, and Tal and Leif joined him. “Here we go,” he said, drawing the blade across his palm. Blood bloomed, and he handed the knife to Talbot.

Tal sliced open his own palm, refusing to wince. This was nothing, just a scratch. He’d been through worse. Much worse.

When it was Leif’s turn, he didn’t hesitate, as though he was afraid if he didn’t get it over with quickly he’d never do it. “Shit,” he mumbled, squeezing his eyes shut. He and Tal clasped palms, allowing their blood to mingle.

Mason then pressed his blood-smeared hand first to Tal’s and then to Leif’s. He made a face. “I am not looking forward to this.”

Tal smiled. “I am.”

One of Mason’s brows tipped up, but he gave no reply. Sliding his hand around to the back of Tal’s neck, he allowed his claws to burst free. A flash of pain shot through his knuckles as his hand begun to morph. “I’m sorry,” he whispered, pushing aside the collar of Tal’s shirt to reveal his pale shoulder. His jaw crackled as his wolf fangs descended.

“Don’t be,” Tal murmured, leaning into him.

Mason settled his mouth on Tal’s shoulder and bit down - hard. Tal moaned, but not like he was in pain. Blood flooded Mase’s mouth, and he swallowed. “Mine,” he breathed.

“Yours,” Tal returned breathily, sagging back against the bottom of the couch.

“You set?” Mason asked Leif, shaking a little as power fizzled through him.

Leif nodded, white as a ghost.

Knowing the Lone was afraid for whatever reason, Mason worked quickly. After marking the Were with his bite, he said, “Mine.”

“Yours,” the lone whispered hoarsely.

Mason backed off, still studying the Lone. Something about his blood had been…off. He wreaked of fear, a fear that Mason could now feel singing through his blood.

“I’m bleeding.” Leif stared down at his wounded palm, his eyes wide, pupils dilated. “Why am I bleeding?”

Tal and Mason exchanged a look. Something was seriously wrong here.

Before either of them could get to the bottom of it, Leif’s face lost all color; his eyes rolled back into his head and he slammed to the carpet in a motionless heap.

“It’s the blood,” Talbot said slowly, like he was working it out as he spoke. “He passed out before, after I slashed his chin.”

Ferryn crouched by Leif, but Mason growled, hand hovering over Leif’s head. The Lone was no longer a Lone. He belonged to Mason. It was Mason’s duty to protect him, and so he would.

“Leif,” Talbot murmured gently, kneeling beside the prone Were and helping Mason to lift him into an upright position. “Let’s put him on the couch.”

They did.

Talbot stood there, blinking, trying to determine if he felt any different. His nose certainly didn’t. The tickle was there, but it wouldn’t manifest; it remained in the background, teasing, taunting. “Hhh…” He braced a hand on Mason’s shoulder as his breathing stuttered; Mason’s palm graced Tal’s back, almost unnoticeable. “Hihh…hTchNXtschuu!-nSSHiiieew!

“Is that really it?” Tal asked as he regained his breath.

Mason shrugged. “Maybe you should ask your little pet genius.”

“Mase, if I didn’t know better I’d say you were jealous.”

“What--?” Mason paused. “Hey, where’d they go?”

Tal glanced around his apartment. Alan and Ferryn were nowhere in sight. He smiled. They were so predictable. He opened his mouth to make some kind of witty remark, when the floor swayed under his feet. He stumbled, feeling as if gravity had suddenly taken a vacation.

“Tal?” Mason’s frantic voice reached him through the haze of blackness, but when he tried to respond, he found he couldn’t.

He was floating, nothing but a single particle in a sea of air.

- - -

Mason scooped Tal into his arms and sat down on the floor, drawing the kid across his lap. Tal’s head flopped limply to Mason’s shoulder, sending a spear of worry through his heart. He shot a look at Leif, hoping he’d wake up and help him.

“Tal. Tal? Wake up, baby.” Mason skimmed a hand through Tal’s hair, then over his cheek, which felt warm to the touch: a good sign, right?

“He needs sleep,” Leif muttered drowsily. “After…so long…not being part of a pack, it takes…a while to…get used to.”

“Oh.” Relief, sharp and beautiful. “Okay. What about you, baby-eater? You gonna make it or do I need to arrange for a funeral?”

A huff of laughter. “I feel so cherished.”

- - -

Mason laid Talbot down on his bed, then climbed under the covers and pulled the boy into his arms. Talbot’s breath stirred the hair curling around his ear.

“What were you doing there that night, Tal?” he whispered. “Why could I smell you?”

To his utter shock, Talbot replied, “You never asked me,” in a soft, hurt voice. “I would have told you”--a yawn--“if you’d only asked me.” He sniffled. “Hehh.”

Mason squeezed Tal’s nose between two fingers. “Go on, then. I got you covered.”

A hazy smile ghosted over Tal’s trembling lips as his jaw dropped open and his eyes flickered shut. “nFF’kgTss!-GsshD!-uhh.”

“That all?”

A slight head-shake, followed by more hitching. “Hhh…hh…tK’uGhch!-uu. Hh, ‘kay, I’b dode.”

“Bless you.” Mason felt suddenly uncomfortable - guilty, even. Maybe with good reason. “I’m asking now, Tal. I didn’t ask before, because I was afraid of the answer.”

Tal’s lax body tensed. “You really think I had something to do with your uncle’s death, don’t you? You think I helped my mom kill him. Me?

And now…for the shame. “Tal…what was I supposed to think? You were there.”

“Really, Mase?” Tal’s eyes pierced him. “I was in that motel room?”

Mason was about to confirm this, when the truth suddenly hit him. Tal’s scent hadn’t been inside the room. But still, it had been practically everywhere else. “You were there, Tal. Why?”

Looking away, Tal said, “I was following my mom, okay? I wanted to know what she was doing and so I followed her and I saw her go into that room. I wasn’t all that shocked, either, considering she’d been sleeping with him for months before that. And before you ask, I didn’t tell you because I didn’t want you to know what she was like. I didn’t want anyone to know. They all already hated me enough."

Well, hello there, guilt and idiocy, Mason thought. “Well. This is…awkward.”

Thankfully, Talbot laughed, relaxing slightly into Mason’s side. “You’re an idiot, Mase. Did you really think I would do that to you? To anyone? I wouldn’t even kill Brad if I had the chance, for God’s sake. Remember me? The pansy? It still applies.”

“You’re not a pansy.” He kissed Tal’s nose. “Brad is the pansy.”

A smirk quirked his mouth. “Thanks.” The smirk fell away as a sneeze announced itself by taking over his entire face. He blinked, staring blankly at the ceiling, mouth open. “Huhh…ehh…hiehh…Hah!--uhh.” Sighing, he ran a finger up the bridge of his nose, nostrils flaring wide. “Heehh…hIEY’uffKtSCHOO!-ihh…ehh…knchh’TCHIEW!-ahh. ‘Scuse me,” he mumbled, blushing a little.

“Bless you,” Mason smiled. “Don’t be embarrassed. You’re cute when you sneeze.”

Tal arched a brow. “Only when I sneeze?”

Mason rolled his eyes. “Don’t push it.”

Tal’s expression grew serious. “They killed them,” he breathed, hiding his face in Mason’s chest. “I could hear them screaming.” A shiver seized him, and Mason wrapped the blankets more firmly around them, winding both his arms around Tal to pull him as close as possible.

“I know, baby.” Mason blinked back tears. This wasn’t his pain, but it damn sure felt like it - which actually made a bizarre sort of sense. He’d been there when the pack had executed Tal’s parents, had watched in horror as his own father had driven a hand through Sandrine Frost’s chest and cleaved out her heart to a chorus of cheers, screams, and snapping bones.

And he’d never forgive himself for letting that happen.

“I didn’t love them. I don’t know why she did it - my mom, I mean. But I wasn’t surprised. It’s like I always knew there was something wrong with her.” Pain and guilt drenched the confession. “I was scared for myself that night, Mase. All I could think about was what they were going to do to me.”

Mason’s heart clenched achingly. “You’re a good person, Tal. Hell, you had the chance to kill Leif to save your own life and you didn’t. You chose death.”

“But I thought about it,” he whispered, sniffling and curling his fingers into the softness of Mason’s shirt. “Isn’t that bad enough?”

He feathered a kiss over Tal’s hair. “No. You were never going to kill him, were you?”

A watery chuckle. “That’s rich, coming from you.”

“And that much more believable?” Mason asked hopefully.

“Maybe.” Tal yawned hugely. “Is he okay?”

I really don’t think so. “He will be.”

“G-good.” Tal twisted his head away, still clinging to Mason as he built up for another sneeze or three. “Hihh…” His lashes dipped. “Uhhihh…” His nose twitched. “Ehhuhh…” His face collapsed with a powerful: “ehP’hUSHtt-oo! HxZySCHffss!-eh. Hh…CHG’tffKTSCHiuu!-ahhh.”

“Bless you.” Mason couldn’t shake the concern he felt for Tal, but he did seem better; his skin had more color and his eyes were more focused. “How do you feel? Better?”

Tal considered, then nodded. “Yeah. Yeah, I do.” He smiled shyly. “Thanks to you.”

Mason placed a soft kiss on Tal’s forehead. “I love you,” he said simply.

Tal’s fingers dug into his chest. “Are you sure?”

“Idiot. Of course I’m sure.”

“…”

“Well?” Mason demanded, nervous.

“Well what?”

Oh, for the love of - “Aren’t you going to say it back?”

Tal blinked innocently. “Say what back?”

Mason groaned.

Face splitting with a grin, Tal laughed, “Okay, okay. I’m sorry. I love you, too.”

Mason sighed exaggeratedly. “Finally.”

- - -

THE END.

<3

.......AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......*runs away to re-read story*

This...This made me DIE. What a perfect way to wrap it up! To tell us the mystery behind...*ominous voice* That Night, and to bring Mason and Talbot together, at long last! Ohooooh, this just...I loved this. So bad. The whole plot. I would have loved this even if it didn't have fetishy details that were TO DIE for. Talbot and Mason...if you ever get this published, they will have SO MANY fangirls. :wub:

You are SO freaking amazing. I wanted to completely cry at the end when they both said that they loved each other...Oh. Now I am crying. Boooo. :evilsmiley03:

This...Yes. Just YES. It was SO flipping awesome, and you wrapped it up perfectly. I loved the characters. I loved this story. I LOVE YOU. Keep up with your marvelousness, because God knows I wouldn't want to live in a world without it. :wub:

GKSNVNLKJEIWOSKGN MIPOJNMNVXK

First and foremost, that is one sexy werewolf couple. :wub:

Second, I would like to laugh in Del's pathetic face for thinking Kara would let him back in.

Third, well okay technically you already knew this, but I love you :laugh: SO. FREAKING. MUCH. <3 That's all.

Nah, never mind, I lied. that last bit of teasing there, haha :> I think you gave me some ideas for how to torture my future boyfriend.

This is just... so awesome.

I'm speechless, it's that awesome :laugh: . I love it! I love you :wub:!

I really don't know what to say, apart from thank you so much for writing such an awesome fic. The ending was also so awesome. Thank you so much.

Wow, I've used awesome a lot. Maybe I should just say:

awesome: adj;

1) This piece of writing (The Lone and the Loner).

... :heart:

I cannot describe how much I love this. All the words in my vocabulary that would even come close would just insult this beautiful treasure. And that's what this is, a treasure. You have an amazing gift, Scion. I wish you could share. :cheers:

BYE! :wub:

Archived