Sneeze Fetish Forum

SpamKey

Hahaha how great (read convenient) that Nick managed to find an apparent in the same building as Dr. hot guy :D

“You’re allergic to cats?” Nick asked, intrigued.

Uh-huh uh-huh I feel you Nick and I agree... I'm sorry SpamKey are we supposed to just believe this? any chance of proof :lol:

Yeah, well, be prepared to see me in there.” Nick grumbled. Darian paused in washing the silverware, glancing over.

Awwwwwww NICK!!!!! :heart: Awww cutie!! :heart:

We both know I’m a kinda scatterbrained guy. I have a bad habit of forgetting my inhaler. So if we’re ever out, and I start having an attack--”

“I’m prepared.” Darian finished, smiling as he understood the plan. “Yes, I think that’ll do nicely. I’ll bring it with me always.”

“Well, I don’t know about that…” Nick mumbled, suddenly feeling awkward. Was there something… Intimate, in this? In the trust it suggested? He’d never given Jason a spare inhaler, for

Omg I love Nick so much it hurts!! He's just the sweetest,!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

But nothing, this gives me peace of mind.” Darian retorted, returning to his dishwashing upon stowing the inhaler in his jacket pocket. “And I’d rather you not show up on my itinerary at the hospital this season. I’m not sure my heart could take it.”

“Neither could mine.” Nick muttered, returning to his clothing.

“What?”

“Hmm?”

Uhm, yeah, so this was where i screamed like total fangirl!!!!!

OHMYGODITWASJUSTTHESWEETEST!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhh....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say this is one of the BEST fics I have ever read on here. Will be following this till the end :) ! Some of it is just killing me it's soooo good. You my friend are just excellent ;)

Ahhhhh you guys are all so nice! I really can't begin to tell you how much it means to me that so many people read and like this story, it gets me up in the morning! Thank you all so much for everything!

I'm not... Super pleased with this part. The second half specifically. But I may be being overcritical, idk >.< Inspiration's been lacking, but hopefully that will cease to be a problem soon and we can get back to semi-regular updates. Just gotta get past this writer's block malarkey.

At any rate, here we go with the drama again! Yeah, you get like, one little break in it. Then it's all aboard the drama train. ;)

---

Part Ten

...Or Wow, I Totally Didn't See That Coming! No, Really!

“Dar. I love you to pieces. But seriously, just go home.”

Darian ran a hand over his face, laughing. “If you think you’re boring me, Abelie, you’re wrong. I’m pretty sure that’s a physical impossibility in your presence.”

Abelie Verago rolled her eyes. She looked similar to her brother in some features; the same well-defined nose, the same deep green eyes, the same dark, thick hair, but there were distinct differences. She took after her mother in stature, standing several inches below her older brother, and her hair had more of a curl to it than Darian’s. Not to mention the fact that she just emoted more; a scowl here, an unbridled laugh there, both actions the doctor rarely indulged in. Her aura was almost overpowering, in stark contrast to her brother’s perpetually subdued air.

However, it was slightly suppressed by the mind-numbing effect her pain meds had on her, and the fact that her left forearm was bandaged and elevated on the arm of the couch she and her brother sat on, not to be moved.

“You’re not bored, Dar. I doubt you’d ever get bored of Stephen King, you rarely ever take your nose out of those freaky books.” Abelie accused, while Darian rolled his eyes, shaking his head at his sister’s perpetual criticism of his taste in novels. “No, you’re not bored. You’re preoccupied. What is it this time, leave some paperwork undone? Stove on? Apartment unlocked?”

“Nothing like that.” Darian replied, sighing. “Just… Nevermind, I’m being obsessive.”

“Obsessive is good.” Abelie stated flatly. “Any extremes are encouraged for Mr. Mystery, Lord of Ambiguity.”

“Ha ha.” Darian muttered. “Honestly, Abelie, it’s probably nothing. At the very least, there’s not much I can really do about it now, Dad doesn’t get here until tomorrow night, anyway.”

“So it is something back in ol’ Cali.” Abelie surmised with a satisfied nod. “What is it, a work thing? Obviously something that has to be done in person.”

“I…” Darian gave a stressed sigh, running a hand through his hair, which he’d removed from its ponytail for the evening. “It’s… A friend of mine. I left him a voicemail last night, saying I was taking you home from the hospital and I’d be back in two days. He never replied.”

Abelie raised an eyebrow. “Wait, the cute lab tech guy you told me about? Any reason for concern, or…?”

“Yes, and please, for the love of God don’t call him ‘cute lab tech guy,’ he’s Nick.” Darian hesitated. “He… Has been having problems with asthma lately. I’m just being paranoid, is all, there’s any number of reasons he didn’t reply…”

Abelie bit her lip. “Maybe try him again, he might have just missed your message.”

If Abelie, the sarcastic wonder, thought there was cause for concern, then that was all the encouragement Darian needed to amp himself up to panic mode. He got up, discarding his book in favor of his cell and quickly called Nick’s number.

“Hey, you’ve reached Nick Martinez’s cell. Please leave a message, I’ll get back to you ASAP, thanks!”

“Hey, Nick, it’s Darian again.” Darian began at the beep, while Abelie shot him “what the hell?” eyes. “Just calling to make sure you got my message. Sorry to bother you, I’ll see you when I get back. Bye.”

“Nothing?” Abelie asked when Darian hung up. He shook his head.

“Voicemail, again.” He muttered, flipping through his phone. “He hasn’t read my text yet, either.”

“Well, that’s not concerning.” Abelie rolled her eyes. “Anyone else you can call, or you just wanna jump the gun and call the hospital--”

Darian’s cell started buzzing, so suddenly he almost dropped it. Frantically, he tapped it on again to see who was calling. His expression turned confused.

“What, who is it?” Abelie asked, craning her neck to see her brother’s screen.

“I…” Darian shook his head. “Why is he calling…?” Steeling himself, he answered. “Hello?”

“Darian Verago, right? This is the right number?”

Darian took a deep breath, trying to keep the nerves out of his voice. “Jason, wasn’t it? What is it you need?”

“To ask you to get your ass down here to the lobby.” Darian could hear the eyeroll in Jason’s tone. “Nick’s parents are out of the country, and you’re the only one I know who can find out what’s going on here.”

“Wait, what?” Darian asked. “What do you mean, what’s going on?”

“I mean,” Jason answered, as if talking to a five-year-old. “That Nick’s in the hospital. He took me off his emergency contact list, so I can’t find out what’s wrong. His parents are out of the country and can’t get back for several days. But you already knew that, right? Just can’t keep your damn hands of my ex, but hey, that’s cool, whatever. Just get your ass down here and tell me what’s going on… Verago? Can you hear me?”

Darian could, he just couldn’t make himself reply. He shot a panicked look at his sister, who was close enough to overhear the conversation.

“Pack your stuff, go. Get the next flight back to Cali.” She ordered, grabbing her cell. “I’ll call a friend to come stay with me until Dad gets here, go! Darian, move!” She all but yelled when Darian still just stood there.

“Wait, who else is there? What the hell--” Jason demanded.

“I’m not at the hospital right now.” Darian finally found his voice, dashing around his sister’s apartment, grabbing his things and throwing them haphazardly into his suitcase. “I’m at my sister’s, I’m getting the next flight back. I’ll be there as soon as I can.”

Jason started to reply, but Darian hung up. He didn’t have time for that. He didn’t have time for anything except grabbing the next flight out.

---

You know, looking back on it, it wasn't quite as bad as I remembered... (I did make some adjustments, but still.) Anyway, I think you could see this one coming from a mile away, but maybe there'll be a twist in there somewhere ;) You'll just have to wait and see?

Ooooooohhh NO!!!!! Poor Nick!!! Gosh I hope he's alright!!!!!

Oh no poor Darian!!!!! He did say his heart wouldn't be able to handle it!!

Well, MINE CAN'T EITHER SO HURRY UP!!! :P

ALRIGHT DAT CLIFFHANGER

*ahem* Sorry about the wait, I was having a bit of trouble with my muse, as per usual. Special thanks to Juto for using her magical powers to summon my muse from on high! You're a lifesaver, and you've given me enough inspiration to last several parts, so thank you so very much!

Alright, next installment! I hope you all enjoy!

---

Part Eleven

...Or Starting to Look More Like Your Average Hospital Drama

“I need to see Nicolas Martinez. Now.”

The receptionist didn’t need to do more than glance up from the hospital ID being shoved across her counter, and up at Darian’s face to know that it was in her best interest to just point him in the right direction. A couple of taps on her keyboard later, she said, “He’s just been moved out of intensive care. Room A-25, Dr. Wright is in charge of his case.”

Darian felt a simultaneous twinge of relief and dread. Dr. Wright was good, very good, which was a relief, but… Intensive care?

Damn it, Nick, what have you gotten yourself into?

Darian wheeled around to make his way to the elevator, but halfway there he was stopped by a hand on his arm. “Verago. Where is he?”

“Not now, Jason.” Darian muttered, shaking off the hand.

“Not now, my ass!” Jason snarled, forgoing his usual build of sarcasm and condescension and going straight into hostility. He grabbed Darian’s arm again, yanking the doctor around to face him. “The whole reason I called you in the first place was to get in to see Nick, idiot! God damn it, we were in love, you presumptuous dick! If you think you have more right to him now, just because you took advantage of him when he was vulnerable, you are dead fucking wrong. Now tell me where the hell he is!”

The words hit Darian like a punch to the gut. He could feel his hands starting to shake, but he forced himself to mutter, “It is against hospital policy to reveal patient details without their consent. I’ll ask him if he’ll see you, and let you know then.”

Jason seemed like he wanted to protest, but a security guard had wandered over. “Everything alright, Dr. Verago?” She asked, pointedly positioning herself just between Darian and Jason.

“Fine!” Jason spat, stalking off into the waiting area. Though the moment of conflict was over, Darian’s heart wouldn’t stop racing.

“It’s alright, Jess.” Darian managed, his voice quiet. The security guard eyed him uncertainly.

“If you’re sure, Verago.” She shrugged, wandering back to her post. Darian stood there for a moment, before the ding of the elevator startled him out of his thoughts, and he quickly boarded.

Took advantage of him.

That hadn’t been what it was, had it? He was just trying to help someone in need… Someone he’d, perhaps, admired from afar for a while, but even if Darian hadn’t felt anything, he would’ve done the same thing… Right?

Right…?

Presumptuous.

But then there was what happened after… Helping Nick move out of Jason’s place, allowing Nick to take care of him, assisting with his move-in at Darian’s apartment building, for Christ’s sake! But it wasn’t as though Nick hadn’t wanted to do all that, right? It wasn’t as if Darian was pushing him into it… Was he?

Except he had pushed him into it… That night, when the doctor’s fever had spiked, and they’d ended up in bed together, Nick soothing away Darian’s nightmares, cuddled tight together under the covers, almost like--well.

But Nick had tried to pull away, and Darian had held on, had begged him to stay, hadn’t he? And it couldn’t be entirely blamed on his fever-addled brain, or a simple desire for a comforting presence; it wasn’t as though Darian hadn’t been thinking about it before, perfectly in his right mind. It was his own fault for allowing it to escalate, for allowing Nick to stay, when the lab tech’s first instinct had been to leave.

Took advantage of him.

Presumptuous.

Was he…?

---

Dr. Wright was hovering with a clipboard outside of room A-25 when Darian finally made it there. The older doctor glanced up as Darian made his way down the hall.

“Was wondering when I’d see you in here, Verago.” The doctor chuckled, shaking his head. “Mr. Martinez has been asking for you.”

Darian’s heart skipped a beat. “H-he has?” He breathed, clearing his throat when it came out strangled and hoarse from stress. Luckily, Dr. Wright didn’t seem to notice, as he glanced over his clipboard.

“On and off the drugs, surprisingly.” He nodded, sighing through his nose. “Although, he did hit his head pretty hard, so it shouldn’t be surprising that he didn’t remember you were out of state until I reminded him…”

On and off the drugs. Concussed. Concussed? “Concussed?” He voiced that last thought out loud, his voice a little stronger now. “I-I thought… Asthma…?”

Dr. Wright’s expression turned grim. “Well, we gave him some strong antihistamines for that, but that wasn’t the real problem. Poor kid got himself hit by a car.”

Darian froze, dread rising in his chest, threatening to choke him again. When he didn’t speak, Dr. Wright’s expression turned sympathetic. “He made it out with cracked ribs, lacerations on his arms and legs, and a pretty banged-up skull. Concussion isn’t too bad, but I doubt he’ll be steady on his feet for a while. Ribs won’t help with that. Neither will the allergies, either, even our good stuff isn’t shutting down the reaction completely…”

“It’s not usually life-threatening. But you know… Even prescription meds only help me so much.”

“Of course they’re not.” Darian murmured, trying to shake himself out of his daze. “I… Can I see him?”

Dr. Wright sighed. “Well, it’s not exactly regulation, but… He has been asking for you, so I suppose I can overlook it just this once. Don’t rile him up, Verago.”

“O-of course, thank you…” Was all Darian managed to stammer before making a run at the door. He stopped just short of it, hesitant.

Took advantage of him.

Presumptuous.

Shaking Jason’s words from his head, Darian slowly pushed the door open, making his way carefully into the room.

Nick looked, somehow, even worse than he had the time Darian had awoken to find Nick kneeling on the floor, feverishly attempting to pick of shards of a shattered mug, heartbroken and flu-ridden. The left half of his forehead was mottled with a dark bruise, his arms were wrapped with gauze to hide stitches, he looked pale and sickly and, impossibly, even smaller than usual in the hospital bed. As Darian tentatively made his way over, Nick’s deep brown eyes fluttered open.

“Hey, doc.” He breathed, managing a weak smile. Darian felt his anxiety eeking away with every heartbeat.

“Hey, Nick.” He whispered back, pulling up a chair next to the hospital bed. “How’re you feeling?”

“If I said ‘a-okay,’ would you call me out on my BS?” Nick rasped. Darian let out a short huff of laughter.

“You know me, Nick. I have this irrational urge to help everyone around me.” He offered, hesitantly laying his hand on an undamaged part of the lab tech’s forearm. “It’s a doctor thing.”

“Probably.” Nick replied, still grinning despite everything. “I’m glad you’re here, Dr. Verago. Dr. Wright’s cool and all, but I prefer my primary physician.”

Darian snorted. “I assure you, Dr. Wright knows what he’s doing. You’re in good hands with him.”

Nick nodded, closing his eyes in a pained expression. Before Darian could ask, he let out a weak, “Itshhh! Etchhshh! Ah-ATchhuh! Oh, ah--!”

Even though he’d clearly tried to minimize the motion, Nick still jostled his ribs enough to send pain shooting throughout them. Darian quickly went for the call nurse button, but Nick stopped him.

“Nah, doc, it’s fine. Been happening all night, and I can’t take any more drugs for another hour.” He explained, expression still tight with pain. “Gave me all sorts of drugs and crap. They said they’ll discharge me in the morning, if I have someone to take me home.”

That seemed a little early for Darian’s taste, but then, perhaps he was biased. It had been a good twenty-four hours since Nick’s accident, seeing as it took ages for Darian to get a damn flight. Speaking of…

“Do you remember what happened?” Darian asked. His hand twitched in an impulse to grab Nick’s, but he forced himself not to. Presumptuous. Nick was too busy trying to shift position without actually moving to notice.

“Not much. Just crossing the street, heading home after work, just got off the bus, some guy came peeling out… Hit and run, you know?” Nick rolled his eyes. “I dunno if there was a traffic cam, they might not catch the guy… I don’t really care though, my mom’s the only one who wants to take his ass to court. Or her ass. Their ass. Uh…”

Darian was suddenly struck with the realization that Nick was even spacier than usual. “Still on drugs, Nick?”

“Wha…? Oh, yeah.” He sighed, wincing as the deep breath twinged his ribs. “So many drugs. All the drugs. Drugapalooza. Heheh. I told Mom an’ Dad not to come early. They’re visiting family, they’ve saving for this for years. I’m kinda glad you showed up though, doc, not sure how I’d get home otherwise… Sorry y’had to leave your sis…”

“It’s no trouble at all.” Darian assured him. “I’d be coming home in a few days anyway, Abelie’s arranged for a friend to stay with her, it’s fine.”

“How’d you even find out I was here, I didn’t call you… I think…?”

Darian hesitated. “Jason called.”

That name seemed to sober Nick up a little. His expression darkened, and he turned his head away from Darian, closing his eyes. “He’s waiting in the lobby, isn’t he?”

“He said you’d taken his name off your emergency contacts list.” Darian offered apologetically. “He was calling to badger me into telling him what was going on. He had no idea I was out of state at the time…”

“I’m so sorry I dragged you into this mess, Darian.”

Instead of comforting him, Darian just felt a twinge of guilt. Took advantage of him.

“I’ve done nothing I didn’t want to do, Nick.” He replied quietly, closing his own eyes. They shot open when a hand made its way to where the doctor’s lay, clasped in his lap. When Darian looked up, Nick’s eyes were almost pleading.

Darian took his hand.

---

Welp, there you have it! Next part is coming soon! Hope you enjoy!

*EDIT* I added in the italics that SFF didn't see fit to include -_- Aw well, it's not a huge deal but still. Adds to the clarity.

In the great words of smooshi...

Dr. Wright’s expression turned grim. “Well, we gave him some strong antihistamines for that, but that wasn’t the real problem. Poor kid got himself hit by a car.”

How dare you...

ARGH SPAMKEY!! My heart in is my throat from this!!! It was so emotionally heart wrenching but sweet at the same time...I cant even form sentences...

OH MY GOD SPAMKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This chapter left me in a sad gutter of broken feels and doomed love stories...

Such pain, poor Nick, but ahhhh such wonderful interaction...

“Not now, my ass!” Jason snarled, forgoing his usual build of sarcasm and condescension and going straight into hostility. He grabbed Darian’s arm again, yanking the doctor around to face him. “The whole reason I called you in the first place was to get in to see Nick, idiot! God damn it, we were in love, you presumptuous dick! If you think you have more right to him now, just because you took advantage of him when he was vulnerable, you are dead fucking wrong. Now tell me where the hell he is!”

Even though I want to throw Jason into the pit of despair, I can't help but admire this! I love the fact that his words makes Darian insecure throughout the entire chapter, doubting his intentions towards Nick! So sweet and heartbreaking!

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! Poor Nick :heart:

Nick looked, somehow, even worse than he had the time Darian had awoken to find Nick kneeling on the floor, feverishly attempting to pick of shards of a shattered mug, heartbroken and flu-ridden.

DDAAAAAHHHH!!! :heart: I can't help but feel this was for me??

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! :heart: cutest image ever!!!

Darian was suddenly struck with the realization that Nick was even spacier than usual. “Still on drugs, Nick?”

“Wha…? Oh, yeah.” He sighed, wincing as the deep breath twinged his ribs. “So many drugs. All the drugs. Drugapalooza. Heheh.

:lol: Nick you adorable sweetheart!!!!!!!

I’ve done nothing I didn’t want to do, Nick.” He replied quietly, closing his own eyes. They shot open when a hand made its way to where the doctor’s lay, clasped in his lap. When Darian looked up, Nick’s eyes were almost pleading.

Darian took his hand.

YYYYYAAAAAAASSSSSSSS!!!!!! :heart: awww feels....

*eagerly awaits next chapter, asthma inhaler prepared, clutching her "patch-up-broken-feels"-bag*

DDAAAAAHHHH!!! I can't help but feel this was for me??

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!! cutest image ever!!!

This was for you ;) I thought it was a pretty good moment, as well!

How dare you...

Heheh :lol: I learned it from you two! When in doubt, break their hearts! It's fun for the whole family.

I learned it from you two! When in doubt, break their hearts! It's fun for the whole family.

Yeah yeah :P

Soooo another day, another part! Seems like I'm back on schedule ;) So have some heartbreak and clarification for now, and next time we'll get some cute doped-up Nick for all your cutie lab tech needs! Again, special thanks to Juto for jumpstarting me on this! You're a lifesaver! Musesaver... Meh :shrug:

I hope you enjoy! Another part coming soon!

---

Part Twelve

...Or That One Commercial Come to Life

Dr. Wright switched Nick onto non-dopey drugs for the trip back home. In the while that Darian was away, arranging with his security guard friend, Jess, to make sure that Jason was nowhere within sight, Nick slowly came down off his high.

After Darian had been gone for ten minutes, Nick was hit with a wall of absolute mortification.

Jason had fucking shown up--no, no, he had called Darian, which was so wholly unacceptable that it made Nick’s stomach churn, almost as much as the realization that Darian had cut his visit to his sister short, just to come make sure Nick was okay. That had been the whole reason Nick hadn’t called Darian in the first place (well, that and the fact that he’d forgotten Darian was out of state, due to slamming his head on asphalt, along with a surprisingly large amount of the rest of his body.)

Nick knew two things about Jason. One; nothing was ever his fault. It always had to be someone else’s. Two; the guy could hold a grudge like nobody’s business. If Nick’s ex had decided that Darian was to blame for their falling apart, instead of Nick himself, then Nick would sleep better at night knowing that Darian was as far removed from Jason as possible. Not that Jason would actually do anything; nothing physical, at any rate.

But Nick had noticed with increasing concern that Darian wasn’t quite the solid, carefree man he portrayed. If Jason got even the slightest hint of Darian’s insecurity, he wouldn’t hesitate to dig into it. Maybe Darian wouldn’t have to be around him all the time; Jason could still be relentless in ruining his life if he wanted to. Plus, without Nick, his ex would be looking for a new outlet for his frustrations. Nick was determined not to let Darian become that outlet.

Not to mention the fact that Nick had a penchant for acting like a total idiot under the influence of pain meds. God only knew how much he’d already embarrassed himself. No, no way could he let Darian see him like that. Nope. Never.

So when Darian helped Nick to the lab tech’s apartment, Nick quickly assured the doctor that he’d be fine on his own, he’d call if he needed anything, and shut the door before he could fully register Darian’s confused and upset face.

Nick barely made it to his couch before he collapsed, entirely too quickly, causing his ribs to register their protest. Violently.

He let out a pained whimper, easing himself down slowly as the cracked ribs throbbed ruthlessly. Even as the pain faded, the gashes in his arms and legs started to itch, reminding Nick that he needed to change the dressing. Before Nick could even think about getting up, his head started to pound.

Okay. Maybe this had been a really dumb idea.

---

Darian lasted until morning.

To say that the doctor was disappointed when Nick had closed the door on him that morning was the understatement of the century. He’d been reduced to pacing his apartment, going over everything they’d said and done that day, wondering what on earth he could have done wrong. It was agonizing, combing over every detail, but not even his favorite Stephen King novels could distract him. It was a sad day indeed when Darian was too upset for Stephen King.

Took advantage of him.

Presumptuous.

Perhaps it was to be expected. Nick was an adult, he could take care of himself, right? Darian was just being paranoid. Maybe Jason had been right, about Darian pushing this whole… Thing, with the lab tech, further than it would have gone otherwise. Maybe Nick just wanted some space.

But Darian’s rational half was also his doctor half. And his doctor half knew that Nick probably didn’t know how to properly change the bandages on his arms and legs, that Nick would barely be able to move for pain in his ribs (unless he was on painkillers, in which case he’d barely be able to move because he would be too stoned to process movement as a concept), and that even if it weren’t for the ribs, his concussion would throw off his balance so much that walking would still be a challenge.

So when Darian woke up the next morning (after a particularly restless night of sleep) and Nick still hadn’t texted or called, he’d had enough. Jason be damned, no way was Darian going to let the bitter words of a scorned asshole keep him from making sure his best friend was okay after getting hit by a fucking car. He cared about Nick too much for that.

Taking only just enough time to get dressed and brush his hair back into a ponytail, Darian made his way to Nick’s apartment, and knocked on the door firmly.

No response.

The doctor frowned, waiting. No way could Nick have gone anywhere, not with his concussion. So he tried knocking again, louder, in case Nick was just asleep.

Still nothing.

In a panic now, Darian tried the door; unlocked, thank god.

“Nick? It’s Darian, where are you?” He called, tentatively entering the apartment. A pained whimper from further in sent a cold spike through Darian’s heart. He broke into a run. “Nick?!”

Nick was collapsed outside the bathroom door, arms wrapped around his chest, breath hissing as he winced in pain. His deep brown eyes fluttered open, tearing up in agony as Darian froze, staring and trying to process what he was seeing.

Nick had collapsed on the floor. Darian didn’t know how long he’d been there.

Nick had collapsed on the floor, and Darian didn’t know how long he’d been there.

As the situation finally registered in Darian’s head, his medical training kicked in. He surged forward, kneeling down next to the injured lab tech where he lay, trying not to cry at the throbbing pain in his chest.

“What happened?” Darian asked, easing Nick into a less painful position on the floor. He’d have to move him eventually, but first he wanted to take stock of the situation. Nick’s face relaxed marginally, as the new position eased the pain slightly.

“G-got up to use the bathroom… Got dizzy on my way back, fell.” He shook his head, wincing again as the motion caused his headache to spike. “H-hurt too much to stand after.”

“How long ago was this?” Darian asked, checking the bandages. Oh, yeah, those needed changing.

“I don’t know, I fell asleep for a while. It was still nighttime, though.”

Darian closed his eyes at that confession, trying to control his breathing. Nick had been stuck there for hours, and Darian’d had no idea. Hours, stuck on the floor, with Darian in the same frigging building.

“Hih-kshh! Itchhh! Eschhh! Agh-ng!” Nick’s pained whimpers startled Darian out of his trance. How many times had that happened, he wondered?

Before he could allow himself to start spiraling into a cycle of self-reprimand, Darian asked the next question. “How long ago did you last take pain medication?”

“I haven’t taken any since you dropped me off.” Nick breathed. He was still fighting tears, but now Darian thought they had less to do with pain and more to do with… Something else. What else? “God, I’m so fucking pathetic.” Ah, humiliation. Wait. Humiliation?

“You’re embarrassed?” Darian asked, unable to completely keep the incredulity out of his voice.

“Why the hell did you think I asked you to leave?!” Nick asked hysterically, tears coming in earnest now. “You came and got me because I was an idiot and got hit by a fucking car, and my fucking douchebag of an ex called you to demand you to let him see me! You left your sister’s early, fended off my ex, and took my sorry ass home, I… I mean, I couldn’t ask you to do more, but I’m fucking pitiful, I can’t even walk, I just wanted to let you help, but Jason’s pissed at you enough as it is, if he caught wind of this he’d never leave you alone, I just couldn’t--ehh-n-no--Ishhhhuh! ETChhhuh! Atchhhuh! Ah-ung!” His agitated breathing and allergic sneezes caused his ribs to scream in protest, so he forced himself to stop, breathing shallowly against rising sobs and hitched breaths.

Darian couldn’t think of anything to say, except; “You actually want me around?”

That startled Nick out of his minor breakdown. “Uh… Yes. Of course I do. Why would you think I… Oh. Oh.”

Just as suddenly as Darian had realized he’d misconstrued Nick’s signals, Nick realized he’d been a part of some miscommunication of his own. He’d been so preoccupied with keeping Jason away from Darian, he hadn’t thought about how his actions might be perceived by the doctor. In trying to protect Darian, he’d managed to hurt him. Like an idiot.

“I’m sorry.” Nick breathed, trying to communicate exactly how true the sentiment was, just how insufficient the phrase seemed, with his eyes. “I didn’t realihh--itchhhuh! ETChhhuh! ATChhhuh--ngh!”

“It’s alright.” Darian replied firmly, confidence somewhat restored by the clarification. “A miscommunication, it happens. Right now, we need to get you off the floor.”

“Yeah, right.” Nick replied, still wincing in pain. “J-Just to the couch for now? Not sure I could make it much further.”

“Alright. I’m going to pick you up.” Darian carefully positioned one arm under Nick’s knees, and the other behind his back. “On three; one, two, three--”

Nick’s breath hissed in pain as Darian gently lifted the younger man up, swiftly but smoothly depositing him on the couch. Nick’s breathing slowly eased as Darian quickly located the medication.

“Alright, antihistamines--” He read off the label of one bottle.

“For all the good it’ll do-ehh-etchhuh! Itshhhhuh! Etchhhh! Hng!” Nick swiped at his nose, cringing.

“--and painkillers. The painkillers will make you a bit, ah…” Darian made a vague gesture around his head.

“Got it.” Nick muttered. This was exactly what he’d been trying to avoid, but it all hurt too much to do anything but take them.

“I’d also like to give you a hit of your inhaler periodically.” Darian continued, pulling it out of his pocket. “Preemptive, I know, but that cough you get will be all the more agonizing with broken ribs, and they haven’t given you any long-term medication… What is it?” Nick was staring at the inhaler, a strange look on his face.

“You just… Had that in your pocket?” He asked, his expression inscrutable. “Just in case?”

“Well, ah… Yes, I suppose.” Darian replied sheepishly, fiddling with the inhaler as he’d started to do when nervous. “Never leave home without it, right?”

Nick’s expression softened. “Yeah. Right.”

After a moment of awkward silence, Darian set about administering the medication. “The pain meds won’t take long to kick in, after they do I’d like to clean and redress your stitches. The last thing you need is an infection at the moment.”

“I tried to clean them in the bathroom, but…” Nick grimaced, glancing away. “Dizzy spell. I was trying to make a run for the couch when… Eh, you know.”

Darian’s chest tightened, the image of Nick sprawled on the ground, face contorted in torment still fresh in his mind. “It’s alright. I’ll handle it, you just focus on recovering. I…” He ran a hand through his hair, nervous. “You might need help with a lot of things for a while; broken ribs take six weeks to heal completely, and you really shouldn’t try to manage on your own until the concussion fades. That takes about a week, maybe a few days more. I can take time off to help you out at least until the concussion heals. Or you can call someone else, if you’d rather.” He added quickly, glancing away. “I-I mean, I really don’t mind helping you out, but, ah. i-if you’d feel more comfortable with someone else, I’d understand, it would be perfectly fine--”

“Kshhhuh! Eh-ETCHhuhhh! ITChhhhh! Ngh!” Nick’s sneezes cut off the doctor’s rambling. “Doc, seriously. There’s no one I’d rather have watching over me.” He hissed, his smile tight with pain. “Primary physician, remember?”

Darian let out a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding. “Good. I-I mean… Thank you.”

Nick snorted. “You’re the one doing all the work, doc, I’m just the invalid. Story of my life. Sorry for dragging you into it.”

Darian smiled gently, placing the pills in Nick’s hand, along with a glass of water. “As I told you back in the hospital, Nick; I’ve done nothing I didn’t want to do.”

---

Welp looks like we'll be sticking around Nick's apartment for a while! Hope you guys enjoyed it, I just had to do one last horrible thing to Nick before allowing Dr. Hot Guy to come to the rescue :lol: The next part should come pretty soon!

This was for you I thought it was a pretty good moment, as well!

Eeeehhhh... Feel all spoiled :P thank you.

After Darian had been gone for ten minutes, Nick was hit with a wall of absolute mortification.

GAWD!!! :heart: Nick's really too sweet and adorable for his own good!!!!!

So when Darian helped Nick to the lab tech’s apartment, Nick quickly assured the doctor that he’d be fine on his own, he’d call if he needed anything, and shut the door before he could fully register Darian’s confused and upset face.

D'awwwww NICK!!!!! :cry: DR. HOT GUY JUST WANTS TO HELP YOU!!!

Nick had collapsed on the floor. Darian didn’t know how long he’d been there.

Nick had collapsed on the floor, and Darian didn’t know how long he’d been there.

I could easily picture Darian's face as this realisation set in! Awww he's such a caring sweetie!!

Darian couldn’t think of anything to say, except; “You actually want me around?”

That startled Nick out of his minor breakdown. “Uh… Yes. Of course I do. Why would you think I… Oh. Oh.”

AHHHHH THE CUTENESS!!!!!!

“I’d also like to give you a hit of your inhaler periodically.” Darian continued, pulling it out of his pocket. “Preemptive, I know, but that cough you get will be all the more agonizing with broken ribs, and they haven’t given you any long-term medication… What is it?” Nick was staring at the inhaler, a strange look on his face.

“You just… Had that in your pocket?” He asked, his expression inscrutable. “Just in case?”

“Well, ah… Yes, I suppose.” Darian replied sheepishly, fiddling with the inhaler as he’d started to do when nervous. “Never leave home without it, right?”

Nick’s expression softened. “Yeah. Right.”

DEAD AT THIS DECLARATION OF LOYALTY!!!!!

Wow SpamKey!! I'm in awe! I offer one tiny PM of fangirlish ranting and you've already served 2 absolutely delicious chapters with more on the way... EEEHHHHHHH EXCITED!! EXCITED!!

and next time we'll get some cute doped-up Nick for all your cutie lab tech needs!

YYYYAAAAAAAAAASSSS!!!!! *prepares feels*, *coates ovaries in superglue*, *dopes up on asthma meds to prevent involuntary fainting due to lack of breathing from cuteness*

Ahem, so yeah, I have all the patience in the world for the next chapter... NOT!!!!!!!!!!!! :heart:

Ugh Jason reminds me of Bryce kinda...ugh.

GOD THEY ARE SO CUTE!! :heart:

Yeah, except dumber cause he's not even manipulating on purpose, he's just an ass :lol:

YYYYAAAAAAAAAASSSS!!!!! *prepares feels*, *coates ovaries in superglue*, *dopes up on asthma meds to prevent involuntary fainting due to lack of breathing from cuteness*

Welp at least you're well prepared, because I took it waaaaaaaay further than I even hinted at to you ;) I hope you're all prepared, because actually, the next part will (probably) be the last! Yup. This is it. The penultimate. We're drawing to a close. But don't worry; I have no doubts that I will return to Darian and Nick at some point! They're my babies, and honestly, I love them too much not to torture them a bit more :P

Well, without further ado, here goes nothing!

---

Part Thirteen

...Or Nick is an Honest Drunk, Apparently

“Hey, doc?”

Darian glanced up from his novel. “Hmm?”

Nick was looking at him uncertainly. “Can I have some water?”

Darian smiled gently. “Of course, Nick. Just a second.”

True to form, Nick’s expression quickly dissolved into a relieved smile as Darian got up to retrieve a glass of water. Drugged Nick was uncertain, nervous about asking anything, nervous about Darian leaving the room, nervous about sneezing (even though the meds had lowered the pain considerably), nervous about most anything, until the moment Darian said it was okay. Then he was okay, too.

As soon as Darian got back, Nick broke into a slightly hazy grin. “You’re the best, doc. The very best. Like no one ever was.” He giggled into his glass of water. Darian smiled, shaking his head fondly.

“Whatever you say, Nick.”

“Don’t ‘whatever you say’ me-ehhh-hah--” Darian quickly grabbed the water from him as Nick sneezed. “Itchhhuh! EShhhh! ITCHhshhuh! Ow! Ow ow ow.”

Darian quickly went to ease Nick into a less-painful position, gently supporting him until the pain faded, and he leaned back on the pillows. “I hade thad.” Nick sniffled, looking up at Darian pitifully. “Why does thad have do keep happedigg?”

“Spring, Nick. It really doesn’t agree with you.” Darian reminded softly, picking up Nick’s handkerchief from the bedside table. “Blow.”

“Oh, yeah.” Nick quickly did so, wincing slightly as the breath it required twinged his ribs. “That’s just pathetic, I can’t breath right.” In mild frustration, he tossed the hankie back on the bedside table, only to immediately reach over and arrange it into a slightly haphazard approximation of a fold, his expression sheepish.

“Didn’t mean to take it out on the hankie.” He explained apologetically. “Not its fault. Plus I keep having to use it, that’s gotta be kinda gross.”

It took all Darian self-control not to start laughing. “That is what it was made for, Nick.”

“I guess.” Nick replied uncertainly. “Uh… Doc?”

“Yes, Nick?”

“When I was little, an’ sick, uh, my dad and I would always watch Star Wars?” He muttered, fiddling with his blankets and not quite meeting Darian’s eyes. “An’ I have the DVD, so, I was wondering if we could watch Star Wars…?”

Darian smiled, setting his novel aside. “Of course, Nick. Would you like to move to the living room?”

“Yeah.” He grinned, holding out his arms, then suddenly giggled inanely. “Help me, Dr. Hot Guy, you’re my only hope.”

Darian, definitely not blushing furiously (“Dr. Hot Guy,” good lord) helped Nick to his feet, supporting the lab tech so he didn’t tumble to the ground every time he listed to the left or right; even without the meds, the concussion would still be screwing with his balance for a good week or so.

Nick, settled in a small bundle of blankets on the couch, waited happily as Darian set up the DVD. Though he seemed perfectly comfortable, the moment Darian sat down Nick made a beeline for him, burrowing against the doctor’s side in an unmistakeable cuddle. Darian froze, and Nick recognized the discomfort through his drug-addled haze.

“Oh, sorry.” He sounded so heartbroken as he pulled away that Darian quickly rested his arm across Nick’s shoulders, gently pulling him back.

“It’s okay, Nick.” Darian assured him, trying for a reassuring smile instead of a panicked one. “I wasn’t protesting.”

“Oh, good.” Nick’s melancholy vanished almost as quickly as it had come. Given explicit permission, he snuggled even closer to the doctor, who found himself fighting hard not to squeak as Nick buried his head in Darian’s chest, using him as a pillow. “You’re warm. And comfy. And I like being near you. It makes me happy.” Nick giggled again. “Sooooo happy.”

“Me too.” Darian muttered.

“What?”

“Hmm?”

“Thought you saih-hehhh-no-no-nuhh-UTCHiiew-ITChhhuh-AShhhh! Nghh, ow, ah…” Nick tensed up in pain, while Darian gently eased him into a better position. Soon, the lab tech’s head relaxed against his chest again. “Guh. I hade thad.”

“I know. Blow.” Darian murmured, offering the handkerchief he’d had the foresight to grab.

Nick did so without protest. “Stupid allergies. Stupid spring.” He grumbled. “Everything is stupid.”

“Is it?” Darian was struggling not to let amusement into his tone.

“Well, no. You’re not stupid.” Nick amended. “You’re smart. An’ nice. An’ strong, but you don’t know that last one I think…”

The offhand, hazy comment hit Darian like a punch to the gut, but Nick kept going. “You’re really beautiful too. I like your hair. When you had a fever, and kept having bad dreams, the only thing that’d calm you down was if I’d run my fingers through it. I had to do it alllllll night. I didn’t mind though. It was nice. I like being near you. Heh heh. I already said that.”

Presumptuous.

You’re smart. And nice. And strong…

“I think I’d kinda like it if you did that for me actually. I really hope you like being near me, but I’m never sure. You’re really subdued. Heh. That’s a nice word. All fancy. ‘Subdued.’ Heh.”

Took advantage of him.

It was nice. I like being near you.

“Doc? You okay? You’re looking like someone Jedi Mind-Tricked you.”

I really hope you like being near me.

“I do like being near you, Nick.” Darian murmured. “I like it a lot.”

Nick glanced up at him, frowning. “Why does it sound like there’s a but? I don’t like buts.” He broke into a grin. “Well, I mean, I like yours, but…”

Darian rushed on, blushing. “S-so, um, I-I wasn’t… Taking advantage of you? Or… Being presumptuous? When I had that fever, and we were, uh… Cuddling…?”

Nick frowned again. “I don’t think so. I did start it, after all.” He turned back to the movie, as though the matter were more or less settled. “I wasn’t leaving ‘cause I didn’t want it, I was leaving ‘cause I thought you didn’t. Well. I kinda thought I wanted it for the wrong reasons, but I was wrong-eh... Ehhh… Tchhhhuh! IShhhuh! ECHHhhhh! Ngh, ow…”

“What do you mean?” Darian asked, confused as he resettled the lab tech. Nick’s face quickly became impassive again as the pain eased, his chestnut eyes lit by the glow of the Millenium Falcon taking off from Tatooine.

“I was kinda worried I was using you as a fallback guy. But I was wrong.” Nick admitted.

Darian felt ice momentarily pierce his chest. “Then why did you really…?” He breathed. Nick looked up, his expression serious.

“I think I maybe love you a little, actually.”

He returned to the movie without further comment, leaving Darian with nothing more to do than start running his fingers through Nick’s dark, curly hair.

---

So you can see why I'm drawing everything to a close! Next part will probably be the last. Maybe I'll have a little more. Probably not. Idk. I just kinda roll with the flow, honestly *shrugs*

I really hope you guys enjoyed! See you soon for the end of A Work in Progress!

OHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSHOHMYGOSH HOW COULD I POSSIBLY BE PREPARED FOR THIS???????

First of all, how dare you?

SpamKey! Feels have been stolen, reported missing and I need them BACK!!

GGGAAAAHHHHHH NICK :heart: I had expected drugged Nick to maybe crack a funny, maybe giggle once and you fraGGIN' SERVE A WHOLE CHAPTER OF ADORABLE, HUGABLE, INSANELY CUTE (and still deliciously sneeze) LAB TECH!!! Ahhhhh delight!!

Yeah.” He grinned, holding out his arms, then suddenly giggled inanely. “Help me, Dr. Hot Guy, you’re my only hope.”

I have no words, but I did squeal and clasp my hands to my face as I read it!! YOU USED IT! AND STARWARS, AMD THE PERFECT SETTING! AND CUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!!! Awwwww :heart:

That whole unmistakable cuddle piece was just ahhhhhh :heart:

But THIS!!!!!

“I think I’d kinda like it if you did that for me actually. I really hope you like being near me, but I’m never sure. You’re really subdued. Heh. That’s a nice word. All fancy. ‘Subdued.’ Heh.”

I adore drugged Nick!!!!

Nick glanced up at him, frowning. “Why does it sound like there’s a but? I don’t like buts.” He broke into a grin. “Well, I mean, I like yours, but…”

AND THEN THIS CAME OUT OF NOWHERE AND I SQEAKED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have the stupidest grin on my face!

Dear SpamKey, as per insistent request,

Please return feels to their original owner at the earliest possible convinience

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Juto, the squealing fangirl of Beerpiece.

StaraiRoalanstjay

This was so beautiful... And REALLY overdue!! Nick should take medication more often.

HAHA so you know when I said I'd get this out soon... I was half-lying...?

Sorry, managed to get sick while finishing and had to put this off. But we've made it! A Work in Progress is my first truly finished work on the forum! As opposed to my usual strategy of just... Tapering off awkwardly, never to be mentioned again :lol: Not this time, though! This time we'll have a vaguely satisfying conclusion if it kills me, god damn it!

First off, I want to thank all of you for supporting and reading and commenting and everything! If it wasn't for you guys, I never would have gotten past part three! You've all been such a huge inspiration to me, and I honestly cannot thank you enough!

Second, another extra-special thank you to Juto for helping me see this through. She managed to do the impossible and kick my muse back into high gear just in time for me to finish this off. Thanks a million, Juto! I couldn't have done it without you!\

Sappy stuff aside, let's get down to the sappy stuff people actually care about! And don't worry; I'll be starting up a drabble thread as well, so we'll still be seeing Darian and Nick from time to time! Again, thanks so much for everything, and on with the show!

---

Part Fourteen

...Or a Work Completed, for Now

When Nick woke up cuddled tight against Darian, the Star Wars title screen looping on his tiny television, a dull ache in his ribs, an itch under his bandages, and a throbbing in his head, his first thought was “This is probably what heaven’s like.”

His next thought was “Holy shit, what the hell did I say?!?”

Trying to remember the past day was like trying to wade through a waist-deep swamp; slow, foggy, and mildly humiliating. He was pretty sure he’d said a lot of embarrassing (true, maybe, but embarrassing nonetheless) things to the doctor about… Well, the doctor. He was also pretty sure he’d asked Darian to pet his hair? (Which Darian was still doing, though he was half-asleep. And damn, it felt really nice.)

Oh, yeah, and Nick had just casually told the doctor he was maybe sort of a little in love with that… He was maybe sort of a little in love with him.

The only thing that kept Nick from jumping up and heading out the nearest window was the knowledge that just standing would hurt way too much. That, and Darian felt really, really nice as a pillow. Drugged-Nick was right, the doc was very comfy.

...And now he was referring to his drugged self as another person. Damn. It.

Just when he was wondering if it was at all possible to literally sink down into the floor, his nose decided that it hadn’t been paid enough attention. A quick, irritating twinge, then; “ITCHHHHuh! ETChhhhuh! Ah-ehhh-ETSHHHhhh! Ugh, ah! Ow!”

Without the pain meds to dull, well… Everything, his ribs were on fire with pain in the aftermath of the movement, leaving Nick wincing and breathing shallowly, trying not to start crying from the agony. Ugh. What a rude awakening.

“Easy, Nick, it’s alright--damn it, I should’ve woken you up for more medicine half an hour ago…”

Just the sound of that deep, soothing voice was enough to make Nick relax a little. The feel of Darian’s hands gently easing him into a less contorted position, the reassuring fingers running through his hair… Those didn’t hurt, either.

“Wait!” He gasped out, as Darian started doling out more meds. “Just a sec. I wanna be lucid for a sec.”

Darian grimaced. “Nick, really, you should’ve taken more a while ago--the pain--”

“Already fading, doc, it’s cool.” It wasn’t a total lie, though even as the searing jolt from the unwanted sneezes faded, the throbbing soreness lingered. “I just need a minute, anyway.”

Darian hesitated, setting the medicine aside. “This is about what you said before, isn’t it.”

His expression was, as it all too often was, inscrutable. “Partially.” Nick muttered, blushing. He’d just noticed how green Darian’s eyes were… Cool like a forest, so unlike Jason’s striking, icy blue. Focus, Martinez. “I-I mean…” He forced a nervous laugh. “You’ve probably already figured out that I’m a bit of an honest drunk, heh…”

Impossibly, Darian seemed to relax. “Oh. I mean, yes. Right. That’s… Right.”

“I tried to ask earlier, but… Ugh. Drugs. Can’t hold onto a thought long enough to form a sentence half the time.” Nick sheepishly rubbed at the back of his neck. He’d expected it to be stiff from the slightly awkward sleeping position, but Darian seemed to be more comfortable than his actual pillows. Nick wasn’t quite sure what to do with that observation.

“Nick? Is something wrong?” Damn it, Martinez, focus!

“N-no, sorry, still a bit spacey.” Nick shook his head, which made it throb, so he stopped. “I wanted to ask… That stuff you were asking… If you were being presumptuous, or taking advantage of me…” The way Darian stiffened further confirmed Nick’s suspicions. “Jason said those things to you, didn’t he?”

The doctor suddenly seemed unable to meet Nick’s eyes. “He did. Back at the hospital, when I came to see you. He… Said a lot of things, but those phrases in particular seemed to stick. I couldn’t tell you why.”

Anger bubbled up in Nick’s gut like bile, but he wasn’t exactly surprised. Jason was a lot of things; he’d been witty, and loving, and confident. But those things that Nick loved about him had all too easily morphed into things Nick hated; into condescension, possessiveness, and egotism. Nick had let go of his last lingering threads of love for Jason some time ago. Years of his life spent with the guy were irrelevant, that man was poison. Nick wanted nothing more to do with him.

Nick was relatively certain that there wasn’t a mean bone in Darian’s body. The guy cared so much it almost made the lab tech scared for him; only he would question his own motives just because scum like Jason suggested it in a moment of jealous rage. Painfully, Nick shifted himself so he was sitting up, thankful for the gentle hands that guided him upright. Green eyes stared into brown.

“Jason is nothing but a jealous, angry asshole, Darian.” Nick said firmly, holding the doctor’s gaze. “He’ll say anything to make you feel bad, purely out of spite. Nothing he said was true. I promise. Doc,” Nick continued, when Darian didn’t look reassured. “I… Look, I may have been drugged out to hell last night, but… I-I did mean every word I said. Every word.”

Darian glanced at him incredulously. “Even... the last thing?”

Nick laughed, slowly leaning forward. “Especially the last thing.” He froze, suddenly unsure. “Is… That okay?”

Darian swallowed. “Ah, w-well… Th-that is to say, ah…” He closed his eyes, taking a deep breath before opening them again. “That is very okay. Beyond okay. Th-there was something I’d like to tell you in response, actually?”

“What was that?” Nick breathed, leaning forward again.

“Th-that, I, um… Maybe, sort of, love you a little, as well?”

Darian had started leaning forward too.

“I was really hoping you’d say that.” Nick replied, in the second before their lips finally touched.

It wasn’t long, but it was sweet; Nick didn’t have the energy for much, Darian wanted to keep it chaste, and both had been waiting too long for this moment to let it be ruined in any way by a second too long, or a slight push too far. A moment, and then they drew apart, both smiling in happiness tinged with the slightest bit of relief.

“That was nice.” Nick observed after a moment of soul-staring.

Darian laughed, shaking his head. “You always know just what to say, don’t you?”

“Hey, cut me some slack! I got run over the other night!” Nick protested in mock indignation, before he was interrupted, as he all too often was, by his nose. “EHhhh… hik-HIKCHhhhuh! ATChhhh! ISHHhhhuh! Ow! Gah, y-you see? Ngh!”

“On that note, we really should get your meds into you.” Darian replied worriedly, finally doling out Nick’s various pills, handing them off to the cringing lab tech along with a lukewarm glass of water. Nick quickly swallowed them down, still panting slightly with pain.

“Sorry, I’ll probably be spouting utter nonsense for the next several hours.” Nick apologized, settling back down across the doctor’s chest, reveling in the fact that he could enjoy the firm, warm comfort of it sober and without guilt. He felt it rumble as Darian chuckled.

“Are you kidding?” He asked, laughing slightly. “Your drug-induced rambles do wonders for my self-confidence.”

“Well, at least one of us is enjoying this.” Nick grumbled. Darian shook his head in response, resuming his petting of the lab tech’s hair.

“I wouldn’t say I’m enjoying this, per say, but the fringe benefits are undeniable.” Darian retorted smoothly. Nick hummed. He could smell Darian’s cologne, could hear his comforting heartbeat, could feel his fingers in his hair. His presence was as intoxicating as it was relaxing.

“Love you, doc.” Nick yawned, already half-asleep.

“Love you too, darling.” Darian murmured, smiling down at the dozing lab tech. The term of endearment sent Nick off into peaceful sleep at last.

---

I'm sorry if it ended a bit suddenly... Like I said, I don't have much experience in endings :lol: But hey, it's finally over! I hope you all enjoyed the ride! Keep an eye out for more from Nick and Darian later! And one last time, thank you all so much for everything!

StaraiRoalanstjay

Woah woah WOAH.

It's over?!

Just like that???

Never mind, this ending was so, SO beautiful and gentle and loving and BEAUTIFUL... Please don't scrimp on the sequels!!

Archived