Sneeze Fetish Forum

Forum Upgrade Issues

High on Lullabies

Sorry to double post but someone followed me and I can't follow them back account no permission.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

guys, the things you cannot do before you've been validated has not changed in the update. Saturn, you're new here, so I understand why you wouldn't know that yet. Though there's this thing on all the boards called "read this first" or something like that, it has a BUNCH of info in it about what you can do and when. :) 

sorry!  i know you can't see other people's profiles and stuff or use the private boards until you're validated, but i thought i'd be able to change my own information.  sorry if i missed that.:gah:

1 hour ago, ringsofsaturn said:

sorry!  i know you can't see other people's profiles and stuff or use the private boards until you're validated, but i thought i'd be able to change my own information.  sorry if i missed that.:gah:

You CAN edit your own profile, but there's a kinda backward way in to do it. The steps to doing it are here: 

As for PMs, you should eventually see an envelope in the top right corner of the Forum when settings are fully restored but you won't be able to send or receive PMs until you're validated (except for PMs sent to you by a staff member)

I am not receiving any notifications to followed topics when a post is made on them. Yet I receive notifications when someone has followed me.

Is there a new following and notify thing I just don't see? :(

Apart from a lot of things I miss and that hopefully will return one day (like the friends in my profile, the favorite emoticons and so on) I just found out that I can't report a post.

Thanks for all this everyone, and thanks to those who have helped by answering some of the questions for me. I have updated the list on the first page, please keep it coming and let me know if there's anything I missed! :)

Quick explanation first of why we were offline for most of the day yesterday. Basically it was because the default settings were that everyone (guests included!) could access everything including PMs, profiles, etc. This was due to a change in the way access to various features is managed in this version of the software.

1 hour ago, Pyrus_Fangmon said:

I am not receiving any notifications to followed topics when a post is made on them. Yet I receive notifications when someone has followed me.

Is there a new following and notify thing I just don't see? :(

Your notification settings are under the menu with your username in the top right corner of the screen. Click this then go to Account Settings -> Notification Settings. You should be able to add what you want to be notified about and how (e-mail and/or your notification list) from there.

1 hour ago, hedgehog said:

Apart from a lot of things I miss and that hopefully will return one day (like the friends in my profile, the favorite emoticons and so on) I just found out that I can't report a post.

Friends no longer exist in this version of the software I'm afraid. They've been replaced with Followers (which isn't really the same thing, I know). I will try and least get back the ability of members to decide whether they want to let someone follow them or not, as currently someone can choose to follow you and you have no control over it.

The favourite emoticons function was an additional item I added, so if it's been re-made for this version then I will definitely look to add it again.

3 hours ago, ringsofsaturn said:

3 hours ago, pikachu78 said:

Sorry to double post but someone followed me and I can't follow them back account no permission.

I'll deal with both of these together as it's caused by the same thing. As I said above, the way that access to various features on the forum is controlled has changed in this version of the software. One of the things this means is that there's no way to allow Validating and Pending members to access their own profile without giving them access to everyone's. Also, the 'back door' way Dusty mentioned won't work any longer as I've basically had to deny Validating/Pending members any access of any kind to profiles at all (this includes the ability to set followers, etc). Unfortunately the new system is rather more of a blunt instrument than the old one, which is disappointing. Obviously, I will look to find a way round this.

Also, for PM's what Dusty said is right. The ability for Validating/Pending members to use PM's at all was an additional function I added. Again, I will look to restore this if possible.

9 hours ago, PuddinPop said:

The only thing I noticed is that when viewing the online list, there isn't any guests showing? It's not a problem or a big deal or anything but I'm a nosy parker and like to see what everyone is looking at :zippy: there doesn't seem to be guests mentioned anywhere actually. Not at the bottom of the forum and on the online list, it just gives the number of how many members are online. Weird.

I've re-added the guests to the online users list for now. The reason I originally took them off is the large number of guests we normally have on the site (75-80 at any one time) potentially drowning out the actual signed in users, who I would think most people would be more interested in seeing. Feedback on whether this is a problem or not would be welcome :)

3 hours ago, Jorm said:

That doesn't appear to have worked for me, possibly because I use private browsing when I visit the forum? I don't know if there's a way for staff here to disable push notifications for the forum, but if there is, that would be awesome, because getting a pop-up every time I go to a new page on the forum is getting old reeeaaaally fast :lol:

Unfortunately I'm going to have to put this one down to incompatibility between Firefox and the new software as I'm not getting any such issues using IE. Not sure on disabling push notifications either, sorry!

5 minutes ago, High on Lullabies said:

Friends no longer exist in this version of the software I'm afraid. They've been replaced with Followers (which isn't really the same thing, I know). I will try and least get back the ability of members to decide whether they want to let someone follow them or not, as currently someone can choose to follow you and you have no control over it.

Once someone has followed you, they appear in a section on your profile. This section has "options" with a drop down menu that you can set to either allow people to follow you or not allow them.

6 minutes ago, Joal 555 said:

Once someone has followed you, they appear in a section on your profile. This section has "options" with a drop down menu that you can set to either allow people to follow you or not allow them.

So you do, thanks Joal! :) 

However it should be said that this is a generic all-or-nothing option i.e. either anyone can follow you without you controlling it, or no-one can follow you. There's no control that I can see over you allowing some people to follow you and not others like you had with friends.

ETA: I've also just managed to change it so that pressing 'Return' when making a post now goes to the next line, rather than adding a space and starting a new paragraph. Hopefully this will remove some of the 'dead space' that seems to be rather prevalent in this version of the software. 

12 minutes ago, High on Lullabies said:

There's no control that I can see over you allowing some people to follow you and not others like you had with friends.

That's sad. But if it's the only way, I'll try to follow my friends now...

8 hours ago, Junia said:

Oh dear. I just tested this again and realized that this literally only works if you go through and select what you want to see every single time you view that feed. That's really horrible, and I hope it can be fixed to exclude stuff, because otherwise the Unread Content button just became essentially entirely useless. What a huge bummer.

Sadly, no. The default streams that you have (Unread Content, Content I Follow, etc) are set to show everything i.e. from all forums and any changes you make to them will not be permanent. I agree this is very frustrating, I know you can create your own streams, but members should be able to modify the defaults to how they want them, rather than having to set up their own. I'll look into whether this can be changed.

Also, there is no whitelist/blacklist function with regard to the forums you choose to see topics from. In other words, as you and Garnet have both found, you have to opt-in on the forums you want to see, you can't just opt-out of the forums you don't.

I'm sorry if this has been said in this topic before but there is an option to save new streams (ie I could make a new stream that shows all content I haven't read with the tags "male" and "illness" no matter when it has been posted) but can these streams be viewed on mobile?

So basically us pending or validating can no longer change our display pictures because we can't edit settings.

Like everyone, this change is going to take some getting used to. I'm not sure I have anything really specific to add other than I feel we need more profile settings, particularly privacy ones. I know this has been talked about a little already, but this whole switch from friends to followers makes me extremely uncomfortable on a site like this. I really hope there's some sort of add on that can give us control to approve followers before they can actually follow this. I'd really hate to have to disable following altogether on my profile, but I guess I just don't feel safe if anyone who wants to can follow me. Most people I wouldn't have a problem with, but there are definitely some people on this site that I don't want following me.

ETA: Can we do something about the fact that avatars are now circular? I really dislike it when sites do this as it usually cuts off parts of the image.

I'm a bit of a dunce and I'm not sure if this has been covered- is there an equivalent of the old 'My content' tab? Like, where you can see a list of topics you've posted in and which have been replied to most recently?

I know it's vain, I admit it, but I like knowing for example if someone has posted a new reply in one of my stories or other topics easily

27 minutes ago, Shayla said:

ETA: Can we do something about the fact that avatars are now circular? I really dislike it when sites do this as it usually cuts off parts of the image.

My immediate thought would be probably not. But I'll keep an eye out if a mod is created to change this.

27 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

I'm a bit of a dunce and I'm not sure if this has been covered- is there an equivalent of the old 'My content' tab? Like, where you can see a list of topics you've posted in and which have been replied to most recently?

I know it's vain, I admit it, but I like knowing for example if someone has posted a new reply in one of my stories or other topics easily

It's probably easiest to do this with a content stream. If you go to the 'Activity' tab and 'My Activity Streams' then you have two default options of either 'Content I Started' or 'Content I've Posted In' which will show you all the most recent posts in topics fitting those descriptions. Alternatively if you only wanted to posts from your topics in certain forums, or only posts you haven't read yet, then you could create your own stream with these options. 

I have installed a number of small additional items this afternoon which hopefully will be helpful:

• Theme you are using now displays in the sidebar next to each of your posts
  • Search results now default to sort by date rather than relevance
  • Sites in Website Links now open in a new tab in your browser
  • Group Names and relevant colours have been restored to the bottom of the main page
  • Display Name History function has been restored for all members able to view profiles
  • Members now have an indicator next to them (Green Circle) to indicate when they are online, doesn't show if signed in anonymously
  • Ability to Preview Posts before posting has been restored - @Garnet 
  • A new feature 'Member Away' has been added, allowing you to let people know when you're away from the forum for any reason. Access it from your username menu -> Account Settings -> Member Away tab.
1 hour ago, pikachu78 said:

So basically us pending or validating can no longer change our display pictures because we can't edit settings.

Correct. I'm not particularly impressed with the change either, but unfortunately we don't really have another option with the tools available right now. I will of course keep looking for a mod, updated version of the software or other workaround which resolves this issue.

Just now, High on Lullabies said:

Correct. I'm not particularly impressed with the change either, but unfortunately we don't really have another option with the tools available right now. I will of course keep looking for a mod, updated version of the software or other workaround which resolves this issue.

Ah thanks i didnt mean to harrass as its not easy but i just wanted to also show my age as well but the good thing we can keep our avatars that we have now.

I was able to customize my stream and save it... but now that it's saved how do I access it? Others have mentioned that it goes back to the default "unread content" setting though I made and saved a custom stream that shows all topics (read or unread) from the last seven days. Not sure why they'd let you save custom streams if you can't actually use them so does anyone know where to find our saved stream so I don't have to keep customizing it every time?

5 minutes ago, AnonyMouse said:

I was able to customize my stream and save it... but now that it's saved how do I access it? Others have mentioned that it goes back to the default "unread content" setting though I made and saved a custom stream that shows all topics (read or unread) from the last seven days. Not sure why they'd let you save custom streams if you can't actually use them so does anyone know where to find our saved stream so I don't have to keep customizing it every time?

Any custom stream you've made and saved should appear in your list of streams below the default ones. (Activity -> My Activity Streams)

Hey, um... I can see the newly registred members on the front page, as well as their email and IP addresses. They might not be very pleased with that...

ETA: Never mind, HoL to the rescue! :)

Just now, Sophie83540 said:

This is definitely something to get used to, since I don't do very well with change, but as long as everyone remains the same, there shouldn't be much of a problem

NOBODY changes their username for the next month or so, OKAY?? :lol:

2 minutes ago, Chanel_no5 said:

Hey, um... I can see the newly registred members on the front page, as well as their email and IP addresses. They might not be very pleased with that.

Oops! :blushing: Okay, you shouldn't be able to see it now. Actually, you should never have been able to see it in the first place, but something clearly went wrong. Thanks for letting me know! :)

7 minutes ago, Blade said:

I am not receiving any notifications for the RP topics I was following before the upgrade. Is there any way to solve this? Thank you 

This is probably because you haven't set your notification settings for the new software yet.

To do this go to the menu under your name (Top-right corner of the screen) and then go to Account Settings -> Notification Settings and set the preference called 'When someone comments on a topic I follow' to either Notification List, E-mail or both as you want.

Archived