Sneeze Fetish Forum

What are your favorite aspects of coughing?

Kalla

For the cough fetishists here, exactly what it says on the tin.

I think the chief aspect for me would be the sound. For fetish recordings in general, I usually would rather not see the person coughing, sneezing, sniffling, etc. If I don’t find them attractive (or they’re making strange facial expressions) it really takes me out of the moment. I prefer sound only so I can imagine a favorite character or some generic fantasy person. My favorite type of coughing is by far a wet, phlegmy, congested sound. I do like a dry, barking cough sometimes, but wet coughing is the real prize. There is a huge crossover between coughing fetishists and smoking fetishists, but I absolutely do NOT have a smoking fetish. I don’t like the “smoker’s voice” sound, and if a coughing recording sounds like it was made by an 80-year-old with COPD I find that horrifying and anything but sexy. I want the coughing to sound like it’s from a bad cold/allergies only, and from a relatively youthful adult person. “Relatively” youthful is a huge range. I know women in their late 40s and early 50s who sound youthful to me. Basically if you don’t sound like you’ve been smoking cigarettes for years and you’re under age 65, that’s youthful enough for me.

Even though the sound quality of the coughing is obviously a huge deal to me, I don’t want to neglect the visual appeal. Sneezing is such a quick, in the moment sort of thing, even the beloved pre-sneeze face, but coughing really gives you a sustained look. There is something intensely erotic to me in the way the tongue rises in the mouth to be visible during coughing spells, the gaping mouth and hollowed cheeks. The dull, helpless look in their eyes and the way the lips curls outward.  The choice to give in to a cough that has been suppressed, or an involuntary cough taking over from a laugh or interrupting speech.

I also love the way the body shakes when coughing, it just sets my H/C-lovin’ heart ablaze. The act of thumping someone on the back or rubbing their back as they cough is a huge turn-on and fantasy fuel. Coughing just seems to accentuate helplessness and neediness in a way that sneezing can’t achieve. It underscores that the person is truly sick and needs to rest and be comforted.

Edited by Kalla
fixed single-spaced line formatting
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Feo

• NYCgirl

• Kalla

• Elektra

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound for me too. I like deep chest coughing from either cold or allergies, that crackling in the chest. Definitely not from smoking.

I'll take dry if you get that drawn out wheeze at the end.  I do like dry if Im reading something (one of my OCs suffers from a dry hacking cough) but prefer chesty if I hear it in the real world.

If shivering is accompanied with it, even better.

Edited by Kaze wo Hiku

I agree with everything you've both said. An interest in coughing was actually how I initially discovered the SFF and my fetish is more of a hurt/care sort of kink rather than one specifically for sneezing. For me, coughing is a loss-of-control in the same way that sneezing is, and I like the helplessness of it. The inability to stop it and the way it can completely overwhelm a person is very exciting to me. I find some interest in the associated chest pain, wheezing, and congestion as well. The act of someone covering their mouth with one hand/arm while clutching or rubbing their chest with the other totally gets me. <3 

50 minutes ago, Dusty15 said:

The inability to stop it and the way it can completely overwhelm a person is very exciting to me. I find some interest in the associated chest pain, wheezing, and congestion as well. The act of someone covering their mouth with one hand/arm while clutching or rubbing their chest with the other totally gets me. <3 

This is exactly what I love about coughing too!  Especially the chest pain... I love a good coughing fit too where their face gets red and they're fighting for breath.  Anything with them clutching their chest or pressing their hand to their ribs...mmm.

Oh, and I only really like coughing if it's related to illness.  Any other reason and it annoys the heck out of me, not sure why.  Even allergies.

Thanks for the responses! I'm really pleased with the feedback. I feel like cough fetishists are a rare breed, and cough fetishists who actually want to discuss their kink are even rarer.

11 hours ago, Kaze wo Hiku said:

Sound for me too. I like deep chest coughing from either cold or allergies, that crackling in the chest. Definitely not from smoking.

I'll take dry if you get that drawn out wheeze at the end.  I do like dry if Im reading something (one of my OCs suffers from a dry hacking cough) but prefer chesty if I hear it in the real world.

If shivering is accompanied with it, even better.

I also enjoy dry coughing more in the context of sickfics/fanfic than recordings.  I go all gooey inside when a writer gives a favorite character a "hacking cough," but I swear that at least 80% of the time this happens because it's the only idiom for coughing that they know.

I'm really into wheezing in what also seems to be a fictional/fantasy way.  Characters in my stories and RPs are frequently afflicted with wheezy or raspy breathing, but I haven't found any real-life fetish recordings of this that appeal to me.  I was all over the cough fetish side of Youtube last night, and one person had uploaded a recording of themselves wheezing followed by a coughing fit.  From the description it sounded right up my alley.  But they sounded like an 80-year-old with COPD and were also male, so two big strikes against them. :P

I have heard fetish recordings of a woman with a congested cough so bad that you could hear a phlegmy rattling noise as she inhaled between coughs, and that was pretty hot.

9 hours ago, Dusty15 said:

I agree with everything you've both said. An interest in coughing was actually how I initially discovered the SFF and my fetish is more of a hurt/care sort of kink rather than one specifically for sneezing. For me, coughing is a loss-of-control in the same way that sneezing is, and I like the helplessness of it. The inability to stop it and the way it can completely overwhelm a person is very exciting to me. I find some interest in the associated chest pain, wheezing, and congestion as well. The act of someone covering their mouth with one hand/arm while clutching or rubbing their chest with the other totally gets me. <3 

Yes!! Yes to all of this and I love to the hand-to-the-chest as well. As a way of soothing themselves after a hard coughing fit, or a gesture to emphasize what a difficult time they're having.  I love detailed descriptions of a feeling of tightness and heaviness in the chest, and the building urge to cough.  It's so satisfying to clear the lungs of congestion, but a little bit painful.  And then there's that kind of buzzing, aching feeling when you're done with the coughing fit. <3

8 hours ago, murphy dee said:

This is exactly what I love about coughing too!  Especially the chest pain... I love a good coughing fit too where their face gets red and they're fighting for breath.  Anything with them clutching their chest or pressing their hand to their ribs...mmm.

Oh, and I only really like coughing if it's related to illness.  Any other reason and it annoys the heck out of me, not sure why.  Even allergies.

I'm hugely into bracing or clutching the ribs while coughing.  It's an art imitates life thing, ever since I strained my ribs from coughing last winter.  Who knew who bad it hurt, or how fast it happened?  Definitely not me. If I had to cough I would sometimes clutch a table for support while bracing my ribs with my other arm. Not the most pleasant experience, but fetish fuel for miles!

I definitely prefer coughing related to illness.  Coughing from allergies is honestly not a thing that comes up much, but I'll take it.  I'm a lot more iffy if it's coughing exacerbated by some chronic health condition, as I only like cold symptoms from relatively mild, acute illness.  But a person with, say, mild asthma who is more susceptible to coming down with a chest cold?  I will totally take that as a fictional fetish scenario.

Edited by Kalla

Double posting because I am the most enthusiastic about this topic right now. Little things about coughing that I love…

The raspy, hoarse voice after a coughing fit.

A coughing fit followed by a creaky little moan. <3

When someone has been holding back a congested cough, and their breathing has a raspy, fluttering quality from all the gunk in their chest.

Eyes watering during and after a coughing fit.

(Leading into my sneezing/general cold fetish) The fact that a coughing fit during a chest cold makes your nose incredibly congested.

Rubbing someone’s back as they cough; giving them a hug from behind and feeling their body shake. <3

When someone with a bad chest cold sharply exhales, which doesn’t make them cough, but you can hear the crackle of phlegm.

Someone with a bad chest cold sneezing—which has that wonderful sound quality to begin with, and then the sneeze dissolves into congested coughing. (Cold shower for Kalla time)

13 minutes ago, Kalla said:

A coughing fit followed by a creaky little moan. <3

13 minutes ago, Kalla said:

Rubbing someone’s back as they cough; giving them a hug from behind and feeling their body shake. <3

When someone with a bad chest cold sharply exhales, which doesn’t make them cough, but you can hear the crackle of phlegm.

Kalla you are hitting on my SHIT right here :heart:

I love when someone tries speaking after coughing and they either can't and need to clear their throat or like you said their voice is all raspy.  Rubbing the back for me is only a fict thing as I dont see it much in real life but yeah body shaking/shivering, and the caretaker wraps them in a blanket.

I like the helplessness of it, and if there is some wheezing that's nice too. It makes me nervous if someone has too much trouble breathing, though. I've realized after some self-analysis that I really enjoy the itchy factor in a lot of my kinks/interests (sneezing, coughing, rashes or other allergic reactions) so if the coughs are the result of an itchy sensation more than just crud in the lungs or chest that makes it more appealing as well. There's just something about those coughs that can't be controlled or stopped because there's just such a need for it to come out. 

I like a lot of the same things you mentioned as far as the sound, but I actually don't like the look people get when they cough, for some reason. Kind of grosses me out. I don't know why though because I like the way their body looks during a coughing fit, especially when  the stomach sucks in and the way the back bends up, but the facial expression kind of squicks me. But I really like the congested sound of a cough, especially one that doesn't manage to relieve said congestion but just sounds really thick and painful and ill. But I'm picky about it oo because even though I like really sick-sounding (even smoking) coughing, when it makes the person gag it just totally undoes any arousal for me. X/ I hate gagging.

1 hour ago, FreeFluShots said:

even though I like really sick-sounding (even smoking) coughing, when it makes the person gag it just totally undoes any arousal for me. X/ I hate gagging.

You and me both, pal. I just don't see the appeal in hocking/spitting/retching, and when that gets in an otherwise A+ recording it's like WHYYYYY. Clearly some people like it, as I am always seeing comments on YouTube coughing fetish vids begging the person to hock up shit. Jesus christ how horrifying. 

Even if there's no spitting, I hate coughing that has a retching sound quality. Like you said it just totally undoes any arousal. 

Ooookay. Here we go.

You guys should never get me started on this. Soooo...this is my first post, outside the newbie's Hi section. Kalla, you're hitting hard: I couldn't get through half of this section without blushing like hell.

So, kindly stop me if I go off tracks (I'm still going through the guidelines and feel pretty concerned about unvoluntarily highjacking someone else's thread or posting in the wrong section;)

I have a coughing and sneezing fetish, and I discovered (I think through you Kalla, and Dusty15) the words Hurt and Comfort. (which i'm totally into). Coughing for me is more...hardcore, somewhat, almost more "dangerous" than sneezing, maybe because it can get closer to actually pain and really bad illnesses, I'm not sure. or can get "dirty", if you know what I mean. Not sure how to put it.

I have an obsession, which i'll come to share (all in due time:blushing:) in the fics I write : there is always a rescue going on, at which point the man will end up coughing or struggling to breathe, and the other char/me will give support. Of course, it's always discreetly sprinkled throughout the fic so that no one will notice. (silly, since no one gets to *read* this  :confused:)

I like the wet, phlegmy coughs best. There's this vid on utube posted by "Oldbeaut" I think, of an old lady smoker  that is my favorite type of sounds. Not a fan of the way the face looks, butbody shaking always does it for me. And if I get to support the person from the back...!!!

On 22/06/2016 at 6:57 PM, Kalla said:

:wub:

And also, I thought that I was the only woman into that kind of thing, and probably the others were old pervs (no offense meant to any of the men here, old or otherwise!) so I was kind'a relieved and thrilled to discover it's not the case.

Final word about coughing : the sound is the most important trigger for me. Also love the helplessness of it, as you all mentioned. When I cough in public I always restrain myself and feel a little uneasy, as if showing smthing too personal and private. So when i see people coughing freely and hard, the 'abandon' in it always amazes me.

'Nuff said for a first!

Cheers, guys

@Elektra  I'm glad I made you blush, hehe. That's high praise. :)  I'm surprised you've never heard of Hurt/Comfort (H/C) before?  I always thought it was like the respectable stalking horse of cough fetishism/sneezing fetish.  Whereas just about no one is aware of the extent of my fetishes and how much they turn me on, I freely admit to loving hurt/comfort and even babble about wanting to help favorite characters when they're sick and give them medicine.  All of my friends and my spouse are aware of my love of h/c.

I also know what you mean about the "danger" aspect of coughing. Part of the attraction is how it can indicate that a character is seriously ill (or at least sick enough to require extra rest and care); although I like to fetishize it in a more fluffy way, if that's possible.  The character just has a bad cold, or if it's something more serious they're going to get better once they finish this course of medicine, etc.  I'm with you on loving the sound of wet, phlegmy coughs, and it's hard to find videos with that sound that aren't from ancient chain smokers (which is a total turn-off for me personally.)

Also, the fic scenario where a character is struggling to breathe: HECK YES. :inlove:

Chiming in to say that I, too, am a cough fetishist -- it's actually how I found this board. I do have a caretaking and fever fetish as well, but coughing is my #1. I have been all over YouTube, too, because I really love the sound of a wet, heavy cough. But I, too, was disappointed to find that most wet, phlegmy cough recordings on YouTube seem to be from older chain smokers, and meh. Not my thing. I also dislike the recordings where there is spitting or vomiting. Yuckkkk. 

Favorites in fic definitely including pressing a hand to the chest and struggling to breathe.

On 22/06/2016 at 7:20 PM, AnonyMeows said:

It makes me nervous if someone has too much trouble breathing, though.

Me too. I was once in a restaurant with my friend facing me, and behind him at another table, way to his left, a lady began to choke in earnest, and I began to feel really uneasy. There was still arousal and interest on my part, but there was the part where I actually *couldn't* get my attention off her, and it was a little scary;  I had no idea what my friend was talking about. I noticed every little thing about her, how she was waiting to catch a waiter's attention to get some water --until I just couldn't take it anymore, got up and brought her my own jug! Every body looked at me strangely, my friend included;)

16 hours ago, Kalla said:

I'm surprised you've never heard of Hurt/Comfort (H/C) before?  I always thought it was like the respectable stalking horse of cough fetishism/sneezing fetish.

That's the thing, I just didn't *think* of it as a fetish, or anything sexual. When I was a teen me and my best friend would write stories with guys getting hurt that we would rescue, and we would literally squeal and giggle as we read each other's story (uh...yeah. :whistle2:)  Then reading you I realized how it actually *is* a turn on, on top of being an obsessional story line hehe

About gagging or vomiting : that's one of the strange things for me, and i'll start a thread one of these days. I hate it when they do it online, just like you, and can't stand seeing it, however I like it in fics, probably because  it's a bonus on vulnerability in the char

41 minutes ago, this_is_not_me said:

pressing a hand to the chest and struggling to breathe.

Mine, preferably :twisted1:

I love this whole thread! :wub:

As well as having a sneezing fetish, I have a lot of feelings for hurt/comfort in general, and vulnerability almost always elicits a super feelsy response from me (which I like on a really intense caretaking/empathetic level), and sometimes (though not always!) as a kink.

On 7/1/2016 at 3:33 PM, Kalla said:

I always thought it was like the respectable stalking horse of cough fetishism/sneezing fetish.  Whereas just about no one is aware of the extent of my fetishes and how much they turn me on, I freely admit to loving hurt/comfort and even babble about wanting to help favorite characters when they're sick and give them medicine.  All of my friends and my spouse are aware of my love of h/c.

The respectable stalking horse! :D:lol: I relate to this a lot, I am completely comfortable shouting my love of hurt/comfort from the rooftops, and can talk about how much I adore various situations that sit under the umbrella from there. Even if it's just little things like a misunderstanding made better, or a character getting protective when the other is in need of it, or ‘sicfic fluff’, I can happily rave about H/C on a non-fetishy level too.

I think aspects of coughing that get to me are tied to it being something someone needs to or has to do if they are ill in that way. I see it as almost having more of a loss-of-control aspect than sneezing, as it is possible (for some, to a degree) to choose not to sneeze at a certain time, or around someone, or even at all, but if you have that kind of cold that comes with a cough too… it sort of has to happen at some point, often urgently… which increases the vulnerability so much for me? I think a lot of my empathy also comes from seeing it as an uncomfortable sensation and a sign of being ill or still recovering and needing care, not just a random occurrence.

A few favourite fictional bits and pieces that come to mind:

• A character reluctantly admitting that they sound awful and apologising for the fact (even more so if the character is not the apologising type, or doesn’t want to make a big deal of their being sick)
  • A character feeling mildly shy/hesitant about the fact that their coughing will most likely wake up their partner or close friend, but still really wanting to be near that person because at the same time, they want to be taken care of (even if they don’t explicitly wish to admit it)
  • Character A trying not to sound so terribly ill in front of the person they care about (or, trying to be more considerate with the more extreme cold symptoms), so makes an effort to withhold more forceful coughing until person B leaves the room (to make tea, or get a blanket, etc), OR, person A tries to keep the symptoms to a minimum whilst in public or with other company, but can’t help it once them and B are alone (in the car, at home...), as B is the only one they feel comfortable to show weakness in front of.
On 6/22/2016 at 2:57 AM, Kalla said:

I agree so much! I like the idea of someone being comforted by this sort of closeness, even if the hug was from the front and the person turned away, or if they were in the ‘big spoon’ position, so that the warmth of the person in the caretaking role was pressed against their chest. ...yes :heart:

Edited by TaurielRiver
  • 1 month later...

I'm into both coughs and sneezes, but coughs are definitely #1 with me.  As far as sound goes I really appreciate them across the spectrum.  I like a good wet cough, but I also find something irresistible about a little polite cough, especially when a girl can't seem to kick it.  I also notice hand position a lot, like when you see a woman cough into her hand and then kind of keep it up near her mouth because she knows she's going to cough again... very hot.  I also notice shoulder movement and chest compression which can be kind of dangerous in real time because you don't want to get caught staring :)

Personally I think there's a little more control in coughing and I think that "semi-voluntary" aspect of it has a lot of appeal.  Like when a girl coughs a little then has to take a deep breath and cough a bit harder because she misjudged it... always gets to me.

"I love the sound, the feeling, the cause... Especially if it's a desperate, breathless fit of productive coughing." is apparently what I've started to write before as a reply to this topic? It's weird how the early started-but-never-posted things are waiting for me here when I click on the reply box.

Anyway, that's still my answer.

• 5 weeks later...

I love reading everyone's thoughts and replies on this topic, so many lovely ideas and turns of phrase. :inlove:

Lately I am really really into the contemplation of how good it feels to have a productive cough and cough up phlegm hard. It's a pretty mortifying symptom to have if you're out in public, and in any circumstances fitful, involuntary coughing can be tiring. But it's so pleasurable when you really give in to it with abandon. That rattling, crackling sound of gunk being loosened and successfully coughed up. Your chest might ache slightly, but then there's the immediate relief and improved breathing. It's almost like blowing your nose, it's one of the most satisfying things.

I am really into this fantasy, imagining a favorite character coughing like this. The amazing sound, the way their body shakes, and imagining the sensations of wet coughing that they're experiencing. That hurts-so-good feeling.

I like coughing but not as much as sneezing. My own coughing doesn't do much for me as I neither hate coughing nor like coughing. I'm comfortable enough coughing when I am alone, but I try to hide it around family. I kind of hate coughing in front of other people, but if it happens, I don't feel as weird or embarrassed as I would feel if I sneezed in front of others.

The aspects of coughing that I like most are probably the facial expression and the need to release some virus or bacteria containing mucus. When people cough, they tend to have this kind of helpless expression like they are at the mercy of their throat and lungs. I really like the slight pain and discomfort aspect of coughing. I also like coughing when it is 2-8 coughs at a time. I also really like it when people cough helplessly into their hands or elbows.

I like productive coughs, but seeing or hearing too much mucus kind of grosses me out. Some mucus is fine and normal though. I only enjoy coughing in a fetish way when it comes from people I am already attracted to. As long as I am attracted to the person, he or she can cough without covering his or her mouth if we are alone. In public, I hate uncovered coughing because it shows a little bit of inconsideration for your surroundings.

• 4 months later...

Is coughing for you all only h/c? :)  I love it because I know that the person is probably sick and congested. For me that makes it really sexy, especially, if the cough is wet ?

17 minutes ago, D-DOG said:

Is coughing for you all only h/c? :)  I love it because I know that the person is probably sick and congested. For me that makes it really sexy, especially, if the cough is wet ?

Hell yeah! 

On 1/15/2017 at 1:18 PM, D-DOG said:

Coughing is not only h/c for me. I like it for the same reason you do.

For me h/c has zero to do with it.  Just a personal quirk on it I guess.  I never imagine that as part of it.  I suppose a lot of it's because I don't really like the "hurt" part of that.  To think someone is suffering and needs comfort takes away from the appealing part of it.  I find it much more of a turn on when the cough is more like an inconvenience.  But I've always been subtle in my preferences, even for more traditional sexual stuff.  Like I've always found a woman in lingerie or a swimsuit more alluring than one who was totally nude.  So I guess it carries over.

Edited by SmokeyGhost