• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Noseandtoes

• AntheaHolmes

• uwus and love

• kiku

• 4 weeks later...

Will there be another update? I love your writing and this story is my favorite! 

Everything about this is perfect?. The allergies, the buildups, EVERYTHING. Please please please continue writing this story.

• 1 month later...

Holy ffuuuh.... is it even possible to love this any more? I hope this continues, preferably with more instances of her coaxing his sneezes out! That was amazing! 

• 4 months later...

(A/N): Wowwwwwwwwww it's been way too long since I've updated and I'm so sorry!!  Here's an update on what Emilia and Dr. Caldwell are up to!)

Blushing, Dr. Caldwell offered Emilia her bobby pin back, resting it in the palm of his hand. 

She closed his fingers around the small object.  “Keep it.”  From where she had gotten the courage to do what she had just did, tickle his protruding, allergic nose into submission, she knew not.  She didn't know where all this bravery was from; never in a thousand years did she ever think something like that would ever happen. 

The pair sat in silence for a moment, Emilia keeping her eyes cast downward, wanting to give him some privacy as he continued to rub his nose within the handkerchief.  How was he so perfect? 

“You're right,” he said after a moment.  “I'll probably be needing this in the future.  Knowing me, that will not be the last time something like that happens.”  Opening the top drawer of his desk to put the bobby pin inside, Emilia took notice of the box of allergy pills. 

“Have you taken these today?” She pulled the box out of the drawer.

“Of course.  I suppose...” He took the box from her and began to read the label.  “I suppose I'm starting to need something stronger.  It's supposed to help fight against my dust allergies.”

“Well in all fairness, it was pretty dusty in there.  I heard you talking to a Maria...?”

“Yes.  She cleans this floor.  Before you started I asked her to particularly pay special attention to your office, because, well, you know how it is in there.  It's been vacant for so long that...that...” Here he paused, a slightly sneezy look overcoming him.  “That the dust...hahh...the dust...ahhhhh...it-it, HAAAAAESSCHEWW!  Oh, excuse me.  I guess I can't even...talk about it...hahhh...oh...” He buried his nose in his handkerchief once again, massaging it, trying to ease the slight itch.  “The dust just collects so much.” He sighed.  “No, you don't worry about cleaning it.  That's not your job.  I'll get someone else to do it.”

“Really, it would be no trouble at all...” Oh precious, sneezy man, sneeze again!

“Ms. Bennett, I insist that you don't...HAAAAESSSCHEWWW...you don't have to clean it.  HAAAESSSCHEWW!!”

“Well, if you say so.”

He sniffed.  “Damn that—that—HAAAAAESSSCHEWW!!  Oh, dear, n-now I'll be like this...hahh...until the end...hahhh...HAAESSSCHEWWW!! Of the day.” He closed his eyes has his handkerchief worked itself around his nose, brushing up against his reddened nostrils, still slightly quivering with all the dust that had been inflicted upon them. 

And this time Emilia let herself look.  She could not deny herself any longer the simple pleasure of gazing at his nose, watching, fully engrossed in the way even leftover dust from a half an hour ago still made his wide nostrils twitch and scrunch.  She loved the way it made his large nose pink, the way he tried with such a subtle desperation to rid it of the tickles and itches that had the possibility of throwing him into such a lengthy and violent sneezing fit.  She loved it. 

Dr. Caldwell caught her staring and began to say something, but saving her from any embarrassment of her own, he sneezed once again, making him lose his train of thought.

“You're such a sneezy man.”

He raised an eyebrow to her, nose still wrapped in the handkerchief. 

“Trust me,” he said.  “I know.” He tucked his cloth into his breast-pocket and checked his watch.  “Well it's just about time for lunch.  Would you care to join me?”

“Of course!  I would love to.”  Emilia tried to stop whatever budding feelings of affection from sprouting, for she knew that her affection should not reach him.  But still they were there, a muted throb, a subtle itch.

As they walked to their lunch destination they conversed.  It was so easy to flow into a conversation with him. 

“How are you finding the transcripts?” he asked.

“Well, in all honesty, I haven't really had a chance to delve into them yet, what with...” she trailed off, glancing up at him to see his face.

Dr. Caldwell blushed knowingly.  “Ah.  Of course.  I understand.  Well once you begin I have no doubt that you'll find them interesting.  There are many groups that you'll experience.  People who live with someone with Bipolar Disorder, people who have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder, and those disposed to a genetic risk for developing Bipolar Disorder.  You'll get to read about all their experiences.”

“Amazing that it's one of the most heritable diseases.”

“Eighty percent heritability,” he said, nodding.

Privately, Emilia wondered if something such as violent allergies was heritable.  She smiled to herself.

“So what's our destination?”

“It's a little brunch spot I discovered one day while trying to find something to eat.  We should be there soon.  They have delicious food.”

Walking further they came to a a small dining establishment. 

“Just two today?” the server asked gathering two menus into her hands.

Dr. Caldwell smiled and said, “Yes, please.”

“Right this way.”

The server led the pair to a small booth within the restaurant, seating them promptly and leaving them to browse the menu.

“Hmmm...  What to get?” Dr. Caldwell thumbed through the menu, and while Emilia knew she should be doing the same, all she could pay attention to was the ever-present slight throbbing of Dr. Caldwell's nose.  His nostrils seemed to pulse as though they were keeping time to some kind of unheard music.  She wondered how long it would be until the climax of the musical number occurred. 

Rousing herself from her thoughts Emilia asked, “What do you usually get from here?”

“Usually just soup and a sandwich.  Something simple for luhh...hahh...for lunch.”  He almost seemed unaware of the way he had to take slight pauses now and then to give way to a little hitch in his voice, or a tremble in his nostrils.  It could be supposed that a man who had been living with allergies of his caliber would get used to it at least a little bit.

“What kind of soup?”

“Chicken lemon rice.  To die for.” He grinned at her before bringing his thumb and index finger to his nose to massage his nostrils.  “I...I always forget about...” He eyed to the center of the table where a small vase of flowers sat, pretty and colorful.  

“Oh gosh!” Emilia quickly slid the vase as far from Dr. Caldwell as possible, trying to avoid another allergic fit out of him.  As much as she wanted to see another one, she knew that it would only embarrass him should he start sneezing as he did in his office. 

“It's nothing...flowers aren't...aren't...hahhh...hahhh...too bad...” Still though, he sat back in the booth in an endeavor to distance himself more from the bouquet.  “It's not like...hahhh...oh...du—”

“Don't you even think about saying that word,” Emilia said, playfully reaching across the small table and pressing her finger to his lips to silence him.  There she could suddenly feel every subtle twitch of his nose as her finger rested dangerously close to his septum.  She watched as his nostrils began to flare, grow pinker, and grow wider. 

“I'm...ahhh...I'm afraid that it's...hahh...it's too...hahhh...hahhhh...too late...” He continued to hitch, but with Emilia's finger under his nose, it did an alright job of keeping any sneezes at bay. 

“Oh...oh dear...hahhh...I always fohh...forget about the...the...hahhh...hahhhh...”

“Shhh... Just concentrate on something else,” Emilia instructed.  “Think about...our food that is coming this way!”

This did seem to distract Dr. Caldwell from the itch in his nose for a while.  They ate together and Dr. Caldwell seemed to be doing fine in terms of his allergies.  Already Emilia was mentally taking a note of where flowers would fall on her Hierarchy of Allergies, based upon his sneeze-less state and his own statement that flowers weren't that bad, but she still remained skeptical, knowing that she hadn't seen him actually nestled up to a petal or two. 

“That was delicious!” Emilia exclaimed after their meal.

“I'm so glad you enjoyed it!  I like showing off this place to new people.  It's small, inexpensive, and the food is tasty.”

Emilia felt her heart skip a beat as he smiled at her, trying with all her might not to seem unprofessional.  After all, he was mentor.  It was just a crush, and weren't crushes normal?  It;s not like it would ever amount to anything.  And if that was the case, what did it matter if she indulged herself a tiny bit?

Her affection though, was furthered when he insisted she put her wallet away and proceeded to pay for both of their meals.

“Thank you...” she said sheepishly.  “You really didn't have to—”

“Emilia,” he said, turning to her, looking down at her over his large nose, “I wanted to.”

They proceeded to walk back to the office together, and Emilia couldn't help but ask the one question that had been swirling around her mind ever since Dr. Caldwell mentioned the flowers. 

“How though,” she started, teasing him, “Do you forget that your favorite restaurant has flowers on the table?”   

“I know, I know, you'd think that I,” here he gestured to his face, “wouldn't forget something like that.  But, as it seems...  I was...distracted today.”

“Well, maybe you should be more careful.” She teased again, not knowing where her confidence to speak to him like that was coming from.  Surely she would be fired now.  How disrespectful of her, even if she was only kidding!

Dr. Caldwell stopped walking and turned to face her, his eyebrow cocked at her.  “Aren't you a bit cheeky?  Emilia I told you, flowers aren't even that bad for me.  Just to prove it to you, I'll show you what I mean!”  He turned to a street stand that was boasting, “Freshly cut spring flowers” on its sign.  He payed for a single tulip, turned back to Emilia and held it out for her to see.

“See?  I'm fine.  Nothing is happening to me.  I just like to keep flowers out of my office as a precaution.  Even when I sniff it...” He brought the flower to his ever-pink nose, and proceeded to inhale the scent.  “Ah.  Refreshing even.  I don't feel one...one...” As Emilia expected, a glassy look entered his eyes as the pollen entered his nostrils.  “I don't feel one...ti...hahhh...hahhh...tickle...”

“Oh no?” Emilia asked, now raising her own eyebrow at him. 

“N-no...of course nohhh...not...  Hahh...hahh...  This is just...juhhhh...just leftover ahhhhlllergies from...from earlier...hahhh...hahhhh...”

“Mhmm...sure...” Emilia said she watched the way his nose protested against the tickly scent of the tulip. 

“Hahhh...hahh...oh dear...I...hahh...this is...it's nothing...hahhh...” 

It is interesting how our bodies can respond faster than our mind can.  While Dr. Caldwell was denying his pollen allergies, his body was responding for him, drawing out of his pocket his handkerchief, preparing for the inevitable sneezes. 

“Hahh...hah...”

“So...it doesn't tickle at all?” Emilia asked as she saw his handkerchief. 

“N-no...hahhh...hahhhhhh...”

“Not one bit?” She took the flower from his hand and ran it along the very edge of his nose, dragging the petals slowly across it, teasing him, but now in a completely different way.

“Emiliahhhh...hahhhhh...hahhhh...I can't...I can't...hahhhh...” His handkerchief was inches from his large, now reddened nose, preparing to catch and contain his sneezing.  “Al...alright...hahhh...I...I am very...hahhh...very aller...allergic...t-to...hahh...”

“Flowers,” she finished, smiling.  “I know.”

“Hahhhh...oh...excuse me...b-but...hahh...I need to...I need to...sne...hahh...oh...sneeze...”  He began to massage his large appendage with his handkerchief, grazing the edges of his nostrils, caressing his septum, tickling his own nose into absolute submission.  And Emilia watched.

“Hahhh...hahhh...it's c-coming...hahhh...the pollen is...hahhh..p-pohhhllen is...s-so itchy...” He spoke and his breath trembled around every word as the tickle tortured and tortured him.  “I need to...I have to...hahh...HAAAAAESSSCHEWWWW!  Oh...dear...HAAAAAESSSCHEWWW!! HAESSSCHEWWW!!” He rubbed his nose with his hanky, almost unaware that Emilia was still there.  “D-damn pohhh...pollen... I—I thought—HAAAAESSCHEWWWW!!  I thought that because I...because I...HAAAAESSSCHEW!!  Because I already sneezed...so much today, that I would...hahhh...that I would...HAAAESSHEWWWW! Oh dear...that I would be alright sniffing one...one flower...” He laughed, wiping away tickly, allergic tears. 

“Now you know.  You are something of a scientist after all...  So now you've tested your hypothesis.”

“I...hahhh..should have known...hahhh...  Everything makes me sneeze...so...HAAAAESSCHEWWW!!” He scrunched his nose and scrubbed at it with his hanky.  “What a smell though...whew...  Maybe it's just tulips that...make me...hahh...make me...hahhh...sneeze so badly...”

“Well, you don't have to test it out here and now,” she replied with a smile. 

He nodded in agreement.  “Some other time.”

Emilia hoped he wasn't joking, but even more, she hoped that if he ever did test out different flowers on his nose, she would be there to see it. 

“HAAAESSCHEWWW!!”

“Let's get you back to your flower-free office!” Emilia instructed as she began walking.

“A...hahh..agreed.  I really need to...hahh...order stron...stronger allergy medication.  This is unacceptable.” He sniffed largely again and walked with her, enjoying the closeness almost as much as emjoyed her finger against his itchy nose, but he'd never admit that out loud.   

Ummmmmmm wow. Caldwell is so allergic and so sweet! Might I detect a slight hint of flirtation? (Yes.) I dig it!

On 2/15/2018 at 1:56 PM, Noseandtoes said:

“You're such a sneezy man.”

I was drinking water, and my own embarrassment made me spit it out all over the table at this phrase. I absolutely LOVE this!! 

Oh. My. Gosh! I thought this story had been forgotten! I'm SO happy you're continuing! 😍

• 1 month later...

Oh my god!!!!! That is so amazing!!! How many sneezes can he do in one day?  That is absolutely cute and delicious!! :wub::wub::wub::wub: