• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Skylacticon

• Elyze

• starpollen

• AngelEyes

Ohmygosh your comments are so sweet guys! :D I don't know what I expected before I started posting this story - I definitely have a few more instalments coming so stay tuned. 

This next bit is in continuation to the last chapter of SP (WARNING: mess) Hope you enjoy.

Part eight:

-----

Air. I need air, now.

My eyes, swollen and watery, are wide open. I stare into the doorway of the room, shaking with panic. I can barely move. My back is pressed up against the bed, aching with the amount of stress as I struggle to breathe. 

Long, sinking exhales follow short, contracted inhales. Air. I need air.

I feel stranded. Alone. It's as if I'm locked away, chained to the bed. I would scream for help - but you need to breathe to scream. My head feels heavy, and pain pulses through it as if someone had hit me with a pan. The chains are tightening. I'm too weak to fight. 

I need air...

-----

It's like I've been hanging from my wrists forever. "'Tsdjchh! *sngrk* *snnnrgk* huhh.... URTSSCHHU-*sddrrf* mmmnhh.... *snorf, snnf-AATCHHUGHH *sdddrff" Ughh, my nose itches so bad.... I can't breathe through it at all, either. I turn and attempt to rub it on my shoulder. My eyes are streaming... I blink fresh tears down my cheeks. "Hnngh...." I cough a bit, snorfling ineffectively. I want to blow my nose. I look up at my chained hands, unable to move them at all. I sniffle desperately, twitching my nose back and forth.

Suddenly, a light comes on and the mirror in front of me turns out to be a window. I blink against the intense brightness. I hear footsteps. Alertness flooding my fogged senses, I attempted quickly to rub my nose on my shoulder.

"Mr. Johns." I'm yanked upright by my shirt. I blink my itchy eyes and gasp. I realize I'm staring at the love of my life.

Rin looks beat, her hair in a messy bun and her eyes have dark circles around them. The widen when they see me - I must be quite an image right now. I sniffle and cough involuntarily, gasping for air. A man walks into the room with my girlfriend.

Zorn. His features are even more menacing in person - pale blue skin and yellow eyes, with dark horns that protrude from his temples. 

"We realize our techniques are no where near convincing." His fingers caress the underside of Rin's chin. "Hmm?"

"Get the fugk away frob her." I rasp, glaring up at Zorn. I barely sound like myself. It almost hurts to talk. Then a burning pain cracks across my shoulder blades, and Rin is screaming. My body convulses, my skin stinging. Fuck... What the hell?

A black figures moves in the corner of my eye, and I sniffle. They whipped me.

"Now. We begin." He presses a button, and just like the simulations, a cat struts into the room. My heart jumps for a moment, until a half-curious, half-insane thought crosses my mind: just how allergic can I be at the moment? Until a sudden twinge hits and my head snaps downward. "IETCHH-ETCHH-ESSCHU!!" Snot sprays everywhere, and I moan, coughing and hacking. 

Come on.

"Please." Rin says.

My nose starts to burn. I realize the cat it right at my feet. Rubbing itself on me. "Huhhh... *snngrk* uhhhh...." I hated to sniff with it there beneath me but I couldn't fucking breathe. "Hhhh.... *sddrf* *koff, koff* AAAEISSHHU!! AAESSHHHI!!-EESSCHHH!!! HAAATSCHHIEWW!!" More spray. Glorious.

Clumsily, I try to push it away with my foot, only succeeding a tiny distance before it came back. I squeeze my eyes shut, overcome with a heavy sensation in my head. I'm breathing through my mouth, blinking my teary eyes and looking for Rin's across the glass.

"Stop doing this." She demands shakily. "Now."

"Tsk, tsk... Oh honey... You know we have our little afternoon planned out here, so," he slides a hand over one of her slender shoulders. I see her shiver, and it makes me yank against my restraints. Zorn laughs. "This is only simple. Tell me where your little friends are." He leans down to her ear, "and this will be very easy, miss Misaki."

She stares straight ahead - not at me. Anxiety shakes her entire body. It makes me want to break these chains. Break free from this hell. After a very long pause, Zorn chuckles once more. He then leaves the room and enters the room I'm in. Step. Step. Step. His approach is slow, as he walks behind me. I glare through glassy eyes, my nose angrily buzzing with a strong tickle.

Suddenly, from behind, a soft object - a feather - drifts under my nostrils. It takes a split second for my nose to react. "YIUSSHHHU!! *snnndrf* ehhnnnghh... *snngrk*" he pokes the feather at my nose and I turn my head away. What the hell?  God, it's sooo itchy. "HIYUSCHHHU!!- UTSCHHIU! USCHIEWw!!" I hang loosely by my restraints. I wish to fall asleep, to breathe clearly. I don't. Instead I sneeze loudly and openly  over and over again. "Ghh!- hh-hehhh, *ssdf* hhiiiEESCHHHIEWW!! ESCGJSCHHIEWW!!! AAASCHHIEWW!! Huhh-*snggk* uhhh..." My head pounds. Snot trails down to my chin, I sniffle and snort with zero effect.

"Mason." Rin says. Her voice brings me back to the room, to my senses. It's hushed, unknowing of a plan. My eyes raise to hers. She winces at my appearance. I shift my watery gaze to Zorn, who's eyes haven't left mine.

"Painful, isn't it?" He says tauntingly. He runs the feather of my facial features, making me wince. "I can see you desperately want to use your hands, but alas... You can't. Torturous, no?"

"Fuck you." I breathe.

"Tsk tsk tsk. I knew you'd ask for this."

With that, he struts back toward the door. I can hear him muttering something to the guy behind me, and they both leave the room. I swallow hard. 

I can't help but gaze through the glass at Rin, wanting to walk over to her and say something to her. Anything. Anything, to let her know that we'll be alright.

But all I can do is stay immobile, hanging painfully by both of my wrists. I cough and sniffle ineffectively. In the small period of silence, I close my eyes, not only wishing that there was some way to escape - but desperately wishing that I could breathe normally.

"Aaesschhhh!! *sddff* hunhh..."

Suddenly, I hear metal clanking - and what sounds to be gears shifting. I glance around, seeing nothing but the same empty room. In the next room separated by glass, Rin is startled by the noise, too.

A shaft opens in the ceiling, exposing a pipe. Suddenly, the pipe emits a dark grey smoke - no, powder. The minute I breathe it in, I start to cough and cough. The room is full of the smoke. Then I began to sneeze. "HUUSSCHHHIEWWW!!" The sneezes are powerful and harsh, but my nose won't stop burning. "USSHHHH!-HIESSHHHH-ISCXHHHIEWW!! Huuuhhh-uhhh, huh? *snngk*" I cough and sneeze uncontrollably. "ESSSHHHIEWWW!!! ISSSHHHIEWWW!!! ESHU-ESCHU-ESCHH!!" It was like someone had just hit me in the face with a feather duster - and I realize. It's dust. "HUUTCHHIEWW!! *sddrf* *sngk*" I cough dizzily, the air still occupied by the floating particles. My eyes are streaming now, so, so itchy. I long to get my hands free. I can't stand this much longer. "Uughh... Huhh.... Stob.... *koff, koff* please..." I croak, so plugged with congestion and basically in tears. I hang my head, coughing and trying to breathe. I start to breath out forcefully through my nose, in the hopes of expelling the horrible powder. Mucus drips down onto the floor, and I cough suddenly, producing horrible noises.

"Are you willing to talk?" I glance up at Zorn, who is in the next room leaning over Rin's chair. My nostrils are twitching with irritation and filled to the point where the bottom half of my face is a fucking mess. I'm overcome suddenly, and my shoulders shake with a full force itchy sneeze. I sniffle, a wet sound before attempting to talk. "I... *snnrff* ihhii wadt you to... *ssddrff* nnghh, to led her *snngrk* let her go." My watery eyes blink rapidly and I wrinkle my nose. "HRRRISSSCHHHIUU!!! *sdddrff* oh..."

Jesus. My whole body aches, limp with exhaustion. I really failed this time. God damn, my first mission? Really? I'm a fucking- "ISSCHHU!" -a fucking mess. I'd really brought up my hopes for this one experience. And where did that get me? I squeeze my swollen eyes shut, feeling a lump in my throat.

Where did that get Rin?

"I'll tell you." My eyes dart up to hers, but they aren't looking at me. "I'll tell you how to create the serum."

"Rid, ndo-"

"Just please stop doing this." Her voice shakes, her eyes glassy.

Zorn straightens.

"You let him go, I'll tell you. I promise, I'll-" Zorn slaps Rin across the face. I feel my chest swell, as all of a sudden the fog clears in my head. 

"Nonsense!" Zorn roars. "There will be no releasing, until one of you gives up the plans."

Her chin stays to the side, eyes shut. Her brows are knitted in fear, and I can see her chest rising and falling with panicked breaths. My wrists are being rubbed raw from the restraints. "I said," my throat aches, but my tone is fuelled with rage. "Dod't touch her."

"And what, Mr. Johns?" Zorn sneers. "Say, I'd consider we've been quite kind until your last strike a moment ago. Would be a shame if we had to go further."

I burst into a fit of coughs. Gasping in wheezy breaths, I respond: "I- dod't- care."

As the words are merely choked out of me, the door swings open to Rin's left and I hear shouting from the outside. Oh god. We're saved. In a blur, Zorn is being tackled to the ground before my eyes and so is his assistant. I hear the door behind me bang open and praise the lord, someone is helping me down from my restrains.

"Shit, shit." The hands stop me from crumbling to the ground, and I'm coughing my lungs out. I can't breathe. "Hey. Mason? Jesus..." I blink and press the back of my wrist to my streaming eyes. A handkerchief is being pressed into my fingers.

"Bella," I croak, frailly attempting to stand. It feels so good to finally blow my nose. I sway dizzily, and Bella catches me. "Where's Rid?"

"This way. Come on. Quickly." 

It's hard to run when my head is pounding so hard, and my lungs are begging for air. I feel my neck muscles beginning to ache badly from the effort to breathe. My nose is so stuffed up that I can only can through my mouth. But Bella slings my arm around her, and soon enough I'm surrounded by other agents. My eyes are searching for Rin. I need to know she's okay.

"Hah'Essch!" Ow. I stumble up some steps, my vision starting to blur. Bella sits me down inside the jet, where I collapse onto one of the seats. "Thank you..."

"Mason!" Someone screams, and I hear footsteps quickly approaching. "Hey," I hear Bella say sternly, but the person brushes past her over to me. "Oh my god." It's Rin. Oh, thank god. She kisses me on the forehead, her hands feeling my warm, flushed face. I close my eyes and squeeze her hand.

I'm given an oxygen mask to help me breathe for a bit, before taking some pills to alleviate my symptoms. On the jet, I float in and out of naps. My headache doesn't seem to be going away, but at least it doesn't feel like I've got a straw for a windpipe. Rin is safe and next to me, sleeping as well. I'm tired and very ashamed. But most of all, grateful we're okay. 

Back at the the bunker of the SP, we're rushed to the infirmary to have ourselves checked. My vitals are being taken, blood tested, and survey is in order before I can leave. I overhear that a few other agents had been captured, still awaiting rescue. "Hah'Tschieww!" I pinch the bridge of my nose and close my eyes. The pills aren't as effective as my usual medicine, the one that Rin gives me after practice sessions. I open up my tablet screen and look up the base of the Abductors. My eyes strain at the light, but I don't care. I'm going to help our team seek out the remaining agents. I'm not about to give up now.

RINS POV

Mason sits alone in the waiting room of the institute, a grey shawl pull around his shoulders. His eyes were bloodshot and dark circles could be seen around them, his nose still red but manageable. I watch him sniffle and push a knuckle against his right nostril, blinking tiredly. He takes a deep breath in and out.

"Hey." I sit across from him, holding an ice pack to my shoulder. His glassy eyes become attentive, looking me over. He sniffles again and pushes his palm over his nose in an irritated swipe.

"Doctors prescribe you adythig for your arb?" He coughs heavily right after barely uttering that sentence, his voice lost and husky. I want to reach out and touch his wrist, to give him any sense of warmth I can. 

"Just some pain-killers. They said I'll be fine." I answer softly, as he gently touches the fingers of my injured arm.

A smile flashes across his weary face. "You're so strong, baby." He whispers. He gives a tiny hitch of a chuckle, then coughs again into his arm. I can't take it much longer. I set down the ice pack onto the next chair and reach out my hand. I put it on his face, then kiss his forehead firmly. It's warm. 

"Baby." I whisper. "We need to get you home. You have to rest."

He sniffles and gives a small cough. His dark hair is tussled, his frame shivering under the grey blanket. 

"You need to sleep."

He sniffles again, noisily and raises Darcy's handkerchief to blow his nose. He emerges, his nose twitching.

"I deed to stay to secure our radks. The abduhh.... Abductors are dangerous. They're...radked...as secod in- heh! Secod id... Hehh! HIESShhnnhh....unhhh.... *sddf*" he sighs and dabs at a couple of tears that had escaped. "Elibidatiod rates. Besides this, hehh-" he looks up, the handkerchief ready. "This is a chadce to huhh...." He rubs at his nose. "Sorry. Our chadce to pass dowd a level. I... *sdf* I cad't give that up."

I don't know what to say, I slide into the seat next to him. "Oh, babe." I run my fingers through his hair like I've done hundreds of times, my hand cupping his cheek. I don't know how he does it. He can barely stand, let alone calculate the locations of our ranks. I rub his back affectionately and sit quietly.

"HIESSHHU!! *snnf, sndff*" he moans a little, blinking his swollen eyes. Watching him attempt to work on the glass screen is stressing me out, the way he squinted without his glasses and occasionally coughed and wheezed. I wonder if he really thinks he's getting to level three tonight - chances are, he won't. The thing is, it's definitely possible, but I hate seeing him suffer like this. "ESSHHMmnhh... Huh.. hieh! Hieh'TSCHHUuhh..." Well, I'm just glad he isn't stifling anymore.

I sigh. I reach into the pocket inside my jacket and pull out a ziploc bag. "Babe," I say softly, nudging him. He looks over, his watery eyes drifting from me to the bag. 

He sniffles. "Baby, I dod't-"

"Just take them. They'll help. Please?"

"Agynicol?" He mutters.

"Of course."

He sighs a little and takes the bag. After downing the pills with a swig from his water, he rests his hands on his chin, staring up at the ceiling. His eyes are red and watery. They begin to narrow, his breath coming faster. "Hhh-huhh," I knew he hated the post-agynicol fits, but afterwards it did him wonders. "*sndff* *koff, koff* *sdf* Huhhh, hUH'TDSCHHNnn... Mmnnh.... Unh! UH'ESCCHHU!!-ESSCCHHU!! *sddf* huunhh..." He sniffles harshly a few times, fumbling for fresh tissues. He blows his nose heartily, the medicine working to loosen the congestion. "HIESSHHhnmm.... Ughh...*sddf*" I rub his back sympathetically.

"God bless you."

He coughs, still sniffling. "Thaggs..." He closes his eyes, lowering his chin and trying to recover. I pull the grey blanket closer around his shoulders and rub his back.

Then I lean in and whisper: "I'll be right back, okay?" He sniffles and nods, keeping his head down and resting his eyes.

I walk over to Bella by the monitor system, examining a map of the Abductor base. She notices me and tosses me a bottle of Hipothyne. I raise an eyebrow. 

"What? You seem a lil tense."

I scoff, looking down at it. I rarely drink Hipothyne during the week, as its contents are fast-working and make it hard to focus. Although it does help me calm down whenever I'm feeling anxious. I twist open the lid and take a quick sip. It's cream soda flavoured. A warm rush seems to wash over me, loosening up my limbs. I put in back on the desk.

"Thanks."

"No problem. You can have it if you want."

"Sure?"

"'Course, sis." I take the glass bottle and sit down on a stool next to her.

"Thanks."

"Mhm." She turns in her chair. "So," she says, her eyes looking me up and down. "Mr. Johns has quite some stamina there."

I turn to look at Mason, who's back at it on the glass screen. I scoff and smile. I rest my elbows on my knees, gazing at the trackers.

"He's come a long way." I say, meaning it entirely.

"Yeah. He has." I watch my sister braid her own hair, the same dirty blonde as mine. "You know, he's gone down quite a bit." I look up. "Not quite a three through."

"Ah." I run my hand over my shoulder, the skin bruised at the top. I sigh. I knew his chances weren't close enough. But god damn it, he's worked so hard. Bella knows it. She's known him for two years. I'm proud of Mason. I don't want him to hurt himself.

"Hey," she turns back to me, her eyes glancing down. "Take him back, will you? God knows he's got the sleep schedule of a bat, but, girl." She pats my knee. "Take care of him. He needs you."

"Yeah, we should go soon." I say, getting to my feet. 

"And, hey. I'm proud of you. Don't doubt yourself, okay? Come here." She leans in to hug me, the smell of vanilla and warmth surrounding and comforting me. "Love you, sis."

I chuckle. "I love you too. Get some rest later."

"Will do."

-----

Okayy, that's all for now. Stay tuned~

Oh no poor Mason! It was quite difficult to read without feeling anxious about his suffering but this chapter was AWESOME! 

Please tell me you have more? I can't wait!! 

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys! It's been while since I've been deciding how to continue this series. In the meantime, here's a lil short I made - will try to come with something soon.

Part nine:

Emerald Point - Failure

"*snndf* hhuhhh...." I blink away tears and clamp my bandana tighter over my nose and mouth. Sweat trickles down my forehead, my back pressed up against a tree. Rapid gunfire rattles the air. I squeeze my eyes shut, cursing the searing irritation in my nose. "Hh'Gnpkkt!-Hnhh!!" I swallow a groan and force my eyes open, trying to make sense of my surroundings. The humidity in the air is making me dizzy.

Then somewhere in the distance, I hear a deep, throaty cry. My head whips in the direction of the noise, pounding with the heat. Behind a stone wall, I see a dark curled up figure. Harper.

"Aggh! Someone..." 

My nose burns with the heat of magma, and my eyes are running with allergic tears. I squeeze them shut and back open again.

"Please..." 

Fuck. I take a few breaths in and out through my mouth, bracing against the headache that I'm about to experience. I make sure the ends of my bandana are tied securely behind my head. Then, I jump to my feet and scope out the area. Then in the blink of an eye, I dash across the courtyard over to Harper.

"Johns. Johns." He breaths, his eyes glassy and his voice torn. 

"Don't worry." I huff, fumbling for my first aid kit. Underneath the cloth, the tickle in my nose seems to explode whilst unattended. Turning to the side, I let out a fast: "Arresch!-Uschh!-Asschhu!"

"Need agynicol?" Harper asks softly. God, what I'd do.

"Cad't od traidig," I reply with a harsh sniffle. "You dow that."

"Allergies are a bitch." He murmurs.

I chuckle softly, patching up his wound. "Dno. Allergy's a slut. Fucks us all."

Harper grins, and I straighten up, eyes streaming. "Hahh," I pinch my nose through the cloth. "GxXTCH!!-uhh... Huh'GxXCkk!-chiew.... *sddf* Christ..." I blink, swiping at my moist face.

"Bless you."

"Thagks." I murmur, helping him to his feet. 

"Thank you," he says.

"C'mon. Can you walk?"

Harper clutches his wound. "I don't think I can go that fast." He rasps.

"H-hhere, Ihh'll- ISSCHMFF!!-uhh, *sddf*" I pinch my nose, sniffling wetly. "Here. You go. I'll cover you. *sdf* Ready?" He nods. "Okay. On my word." 

I quickly scan the area. The terrain is dusty and sad-looking. Tiny holes have been riddled up and down the walls.

"Go," I whisper.

Harper hobbles into the open, and I follow close behind him with my gun. My chest is tight with the exertion, as I lift my gun to my shoulder. Harper and I lower our heads as more gunfire bursts into the air. Blindly, I fire back.

"Ahh!" A spark of pain grazes my side and blossoms into full-blown pressure. I cry out. The weight of my gun makes me want to fall, but I keep running. Harper is almost there, reaching the pole I sat behind. My eyes well up against the pain in my side. When we reach the other side, I fall on one knee. My teeth are clenched.

"Johns? You good?" Harper pants. I look up. "Shit. You're hit."

I wince, but only stand up. "Let's go," I croak, forcing my legs to move forward.

-----

tbc...

• 2 weeks later...

Part ten of TSP:

Lost Boy

-----

His eyes always seem to find mine like a lantern glow in the darkness. His face - dirtied and smeared with blood and sweat, still projected an image of his youth. My fingers toy with my metal spinner, as I listen for the satisfying whir that calms me down. But my eyes keep skirting his - and the wounds that were bandaged across his abdomin.

"Hey." He breathes, his voice low and husky. I look over. "Come 'ere." 

Slowly, I lie down next to him, twirling the cold metal wheel with my index finger. He gazes at me, the candle light ablaze in his blue eyes. His hair is filthy as well - short mousy brown locks brushed messily across his forehead in an ashy sweep. He licks his lips, eyes flickering across my facial features. Then blinking slowly, he exhales, warm on my neck.

"How you holding up?" He rasps.

I manage to grin a little. "Me?" I just watched my boyfriend get shot. We were nearly ambushed." I stare at the flickering light behind my spinner. He chuckles, then turns into dry, restrained coughs that seem to spark fire across his chest. Inwardly, I wince. "Not bad." I whisper. I turn to look at him, his expression thoughtful. Then, his ash-sprinkled nose twitches. He coughs quietly, eyes blinking.

"The AG still working?" I ask, watching him place a finger under his nose.

"Should be." He mumbles, obviously more hopeful than truthful. The spinner whirs in my fingers. He rubs hard at his nose, his dirty face providing evidence of his struggle. I listened to the crickets chirping outside the tents. Mason sighs. Following this, I hear quiet, suppressed hitching. I smirk, still focusing on my spinner.

"Hhuhh... Hih'Etchh!-unhh...." When I look back, he's grimacing in pain. 

I place a hand on his cheek. His eyes gaze into mine. For some reason, I've always avoided eye contact with people for as long as I can remember. From what I've been told, its one of the things I've yet to overcome while battling anxiety. But easily, I gaze into his. Mason takes a piece of my hair, his eyes leaving mine. In the warm fire light, his blue eyes are gently tinted green and hazel.

"I want to go home," his voice trembles, nearly unheard.

Going against every principle I've acquired over months of my training, I feel a wave of sympathy wash over me. My hands come up to cradle the sides of his face. In a moment, I catch a flutter of darkness in his eyes that weighs my heart down, and all of a sudden I'm feeling the pain he's suffering. 

His fingertips close around my smaller hands. I tilt up my chin and kiss him on the forehead.

"I know," I muster. "You've been so brave, baby. If it weren't for you, Harper could have been killed." There's a silent pause. "I am so proud of you, Mason."

Suddenly, his gaze shifts away. He turns his chin away from my hands.

"I am," I repeat, worried.

"I kn-know, huh- *ahem* sorry. I just..." Mason's eyes twinkle with allergic tears, staring off into space. "Have to..." Immediately, I understand. I prepare to give him the space he needs, as his eyes flutter shut. "Heh'Gndshh!!-ieww..." He sneezes against his knuckle, exhaling painfully and unevenly. Mason winces, still captivated with the annoying itch. "Hhhp... Hehh... Hh'TsSCHhu!!-ughh... Ow..." He whispers.

"Bless you, baby."

"Hh!" He gasps. He wrinkles up his nose, desperate to escape the next sneeze.

I place my finger under his nose, feeling the warmth of his breath and flushed skin. Eyes closed, my finger remains there for a few seconds until he nods.

"Thanks."

"'Course."

He blinks hard, and sighs. "Really..... thanks. For all the shit you put up with. For me." He breathes, reaching up to fuss at his scarlet nose. 

"I love you." I whisper.

A small, yet golden smile tugs at one corner of of Mason's lips. His charcoal-dusted, flushed red, beaten smile. It makes him look like a little kid, a lost boy in a Neverland all scruffed up like this. And it's the best thing in the world for a moment.

"You should sleep." He murmurs, his eyelids drooping until they gently close. I snuggle up against his arm. As my thoughts and the soft crackling of the fire slowly lulled me to sleep, I silently pray that we'll make it through this week of training, Mason especially. It's only a matter of time.

-----

CLANG. CLANG. CLANG.

"RISE AND SHINE, SOLDIERS!"

I roll over and stretch out my arms, embracing the crisp, cold morning air. It smelled of fresh pine and rain water. I reach for my jacket and pull it on over my tank top, not wasting any time.

"ESSHMPHH!! Huh- ESHHIOO!!" A strong double. Allergy attacks and other resistance factors were always hardest to control in the mornings, times of which the last remains of your medication would wear off or the start of a new training day brought on panic. 

I look over at Mason, whose bare chest was still bound around the abdomen. He runs his fingers through his hair and sniffles, harsh and wet. His eyes are narrowing and watery, his lips parting in a desperate allergic pre-sneeze face. "Hih! Hhih-heh... *sddf*" Yet he sniffles nonstop and grinds his knuckles against the sensitive, pollen-ridden nares. "Huh! Hih!" He shakes his head, obviously overwhelmed by the strong tickle. He clutches the bandaged area with one hand, and finally lets loose. "AASCHHU!!" A swallowed groan, an angry grimace. "Heh- heh!-IYESSCHHIEWW!! ESSCHhuhh!!" This is follow by a few weaker grunts and more ineffective rubbing, punctuated by more congested sniffles.

"Bless you." I say gently, sitting down to tie my boots. He sits looking tired and allergic, and pain is visible from the look on his face. I place a hand on his shoulder, worried it's gotten worse. "You okay?"

"Fide." He rasps, and coughs. "D'you have the *snngk* the agydicol?"

"No. Later." I zip open my pack and pass him some regular allergy pills. He frowns a little. Agynicol, although rarely used among most agents in the Sullivan Project, worked best for Mason although it's contents cause the patient's body to expel the irritant forcefully - in Mason's case, sneezing and whatnot - before relieving them. However, in his state, he is no where near prepared for that type of exertion. 

"Huh'Tschh!" He squeezes his eyes shut and scrubs at his nose. I lean over and give him two more pills, still sealed with aluminum.

"Might help the pain a little." I say, and brush his messy hair back with my fingers. He looks down at them silently, his blue eyes dark and unreadable. I feel the pity rising in my stomach, but I swallow it and divert my gaze. Mason sniffles. Then he gives me a small peck on the cheek, and breathes a thanks in my ear.

Poor Mason! Allergy attacks are going to be very tough on that wound. Hope more is coming!

Hey! This has gone on for a while,  and I know it should be ending soon. Let me know what you guys think, heh. (If you have any ideas for the finale of TSP or for further instalments, let me know. Sorry I suck at endings. :lol:)

anyhow, part eleven:

Just Allergies

-----

Sniff. The huge auditorium is quiet, filled with hundreds of other agents. Sniff. I blink and sniffle hard, feeling the ghost of an itch starting to grow in my sinuses. Sniff. My nose is so stuffy right now. But no one's talking, so I bite my tongue and try to force myself to focus. Sniff.

I decide to take the risk of rubbing it a little. I pinch my nostrils hard. Snifff, sniff. I wish I had tissues. The pollen count is high today. 

I pick up my pencil and try to make out the words on my page. Only then, I have to wipe my eyes behind my glasses in order to see properly. The population of beings in Emerald Point is... Jesus. My breath falters for a second, and I quickly press the hem of my shirt to my nose. I have to sneeze-

No you don't Mason, you idiot.

After a moment it's gone, and I sniffle wetly before dropping my wrist. Sniff. Snifff.

"Ehh'Kmmpt!-chiew..." 

A girl to my right smothers a sneeze, her shoulders tensing up and loosening. Her red head lowers as she sighs quietly in embarrassment. I divert my gaze down to my paper. I sniffle harshly again and pinch my nose tightly between my thumb and forefinger.

"H'ihh..." Shit.

Every muscle tenses up as I try desperately to hold back, but it's getting harder to breathe. My nose burns. I'm sniffling constantly, breaking the silence in my area as precious time ticks by. The population of beings in Emerald point is...

"Hah....-GXRSchhue!! *snnf, snnf*" 

I'm blinking back tears and coughing as discreetly as I can. Although my loud sniffles keep piercing the silence, so that's pretty much pointless. There's a moment's satisfaction in my nostrils, before the burning sensation only returns. That one was barely a stifle, way too hard to contain.

"Ahh..."

No no no, not again. I jam my wrist up against my nose and close my bleary eyes, feeling the tickle instantly return with intensity.

"Hh'NrXxK!!-Huh'ESCHMpt!!" 

I don't dare open my eyes as my nostrils flare against my knuckles. I curse inwardly, feeling my side begin to ache. And I still have to fucking sneeze.

Somewhere in my blind mess of misery, I feel something gentle touch my arm. My eyes open slowly. On the side of my desk is a sky blue pocket square. The edge is embroidered in cursive, reading 'Darcy.' I steal another look at the girl in the seat next to mine.

Behind a curtain of scarlet hair, I catch a smile on her lips before she looks down swiftly. I return my eyes to the blue pocket square and examine it briefly in my fingers before wiping my dripping nose. I fear blowing my nose in such a quiet room of people, so it will have to do. I exhale quietly.

In the remaining minutes of class, I manage to complete my test paper and hand it in last to the professor. I hurry my pace as I exit the room, feeling as if my nose were about to explode if I didn't get out of there quickly enough.

"Huh, heh, hehh-" I fumble in my pockets for something, anything, and my fingers close around the cool cloth... "HURRSSCHH!! RRUSCHHIU!! Ahp'Tchieww!- Tchieww, Tschiew, Tchieww, ESSHHIEWW!!"

I clutch my wounded side and wince, feeling as if fire is slowly spreading up my ribs. I stumble quietly into the corner at the end of the hall, leaning against the wall until I slide onto the floor. "*sndddf* ughh..." I rub my itchy eyes. I know I shouldn't, it'll only make it worse... "ESSCHH!!" I bury my face in the handkerchief and blow. 

I sit for what feels like over an hour, resting my eyes and waiting for the itch to calm down. When I can finally think straight, I reach for my phone and dial Rin's number.

"Hello?" It only takes a moment for her to pick up. I smile, amused at myself in this situation.

"Hey, babe. *snnf*"

"Hey Mason... How's it going?"

"Uhhb, it's okay... *snf*" I rest a curled knuckle under my itchy nostrils.

"That's good. So... How're you feeling?" I sniffle weakly and stare at the floor, momentarily unsure how to respond. "Want me to come by?"

"Ndo ndo, it's okay... *sddf*" I turn to cough, wincing as it sparks pain into my side. "You dow what..." I pause to cough again. "I had to cobe id for a test. It's okay though, I'b dode."

"You... You had a... You sure you're okay?" Her voice is kind, causing a warm rush of comfort and guilt.

"Just allergies." I sniff, swiping at tears.

"Just allergies, hm?" I hear the sarcasm in her voice, and chuckle.

"Yes."

"Mason Johns, I'm going to have to call an emergency conference this afternoon." I tilt my head up against the wall, smirking.

"What do you say, in five?" I breathe. I imagine her pacing the foyer, biting her lip to suppress a grin.

"Make that ten. And no spot training today." She says finally.

"Love you," I manage to say weakly, before the line cuts.

A grin spreads across my face, as I gaze down the empty hall. 

'Just allergies, baby.'

Yeah, right.

-----

"You're ridiculous." Rin takes a swig of ginger ale, resting her other hand on the steering wheel.

"I'b workig."

"You told me that you were going to stay home today,"

"Well, dot udtil I received that bessage," I pause to cough into my arm. "They moved up the testig about a week."

"So what, you couldn't have talked to them?"

"It was just for today-"

"Mason-"

"Huh'ISCHH! Ischh! ISSCHU!!" I squeeze my eyes shut and run my hand over my face. There's an empty silence, the whirring of the engine.

"Mason," Rin's face looks torn, half focused on changing lanes. She then sighs and turns into the nearest parking lot to stop the car. "Please."

I close my eyes. When I open them, hers are gazing into mine. I can't take the concern, the fear that bleeds from her. Her hand slips over mine and squeezes it. I squeeze back and sit up straight. I feel her other hand come up to brush back my hair, also feeling weeks of exhaustion pile back on me. I know now isn't the time to show it.

"I'm sorry. I just..." Our eyes disconnect. My voice is gravelly. "Seeing you in the chair. Behind the glass. And my hands... There was nothing I could do," I say coldly.

"Baby," she whispers. "That wasn't your fault."

"I thought I'd trained for it." I feel a lump in my throat. "I did."

"Mas'." 

A tear slides down my cheek, and her thumb wipes it away.

"Hey," she breathes, her voice desperate. I bring myself to look her in the eyes. "Look... There was a time I thought all of it was easy. These levels," she shakes her head. "Meant nothing to me." She takes my hand in both of hers. "Not until I met you."

My breathing is slowing down, my gazes fixed with hers. "But you see," she says. "That's when I started to care." She exhales with a tiny smile. "Isn't what this is all about? Self care..." I swallow. "I'm really proud that you made it this far. Not all fives make it, you know. But you have to understand,"

"I know," I say. "I know." She's told me a hundred times. "Heh'TSCHhuh!! ...*snnf*" I pull away to rub my nose, and drag my sleeve over my eyes.

"Bless you."

"Thank you."

"Let's go home." She starts the engine again, turning to face to front. I look sideways at her. I move my hand over the middle of the seats to gently intertwine with hers. I squeeze her hand.

Gently, she squeezes back.

This story is amazing I can’t stop reading it over and over. 

I love the plot, I love Mason, I love allergy stories and the way you describe his feelings and the sneezes, the spellings! 

Just wow. Thank you!

And I’d really love reading more of it ☺️

So glad you guys are enjoying! Thank you for commenting. ^_^

There's more coming up soon, so stay tuned~

I'm here! I'll just hang around until the next part then, shall I? I really like Mason the sneezy stuffy allergic mess. Have I mentioned that before? ;)

4 hours ago, Skylacticon said:

So glad you guys are enjoying! Thank you for commenting. ^_^

There's more coming up soon, so stay tuned~

AHHH! I can't wait!!! 

Part twelve of TSP:

-----

"GnxXk'chieww..." I sniffle and rub at my nose, flipping through my binder to find a unit for mission training. I'd really messed up last time. I know that. I need to work on my technique, my approach to dangerous situations. "Hah'Nxngtch!-huhh..."

I sniffle, feeling my nose about to run. I reach for a tissue and blow my nose. I close my eyes, which ache with weariness and irritation. My nose is itchy beneath my thumb and forefinger. "Hheh..." I shake my head, trying to dismiss the tickle. I try to return my focus on my documents. My nose twitches and I press a curled knuckle beneath it. I can feel my eyes narrowing, as the tickle grows too strong. Hastily, I make a grab for a tissue and hold it to my face. "Hh'Resschhiu! *snf*" my eyes flutter towards the ceiling, feeling a teasing encore. "H'uhh..." Fuck. I give my nose a strong rub and clear my throat. My eyes are itching.

I glance down at my binder with watery eyes, the irony making me chuckle. I give up and close it, replace it on the shelf. 

I walk into the kitchen, where Rin is fixing up some stir fry for dinner. "Hey," I give her a kiss on top of her hair, breathing in her scent. She smiles, stirring the pot.

"Hey you. How's the studying going?"

"Well, Ihh-hahh'Ktschhuh! *snf*" I laugh softly, which soon turns into more hitching. "Ah'TSCH! HDSSCHH!!" I turn away to blow my nose, then sniffle a few times. "Ah... Just brilliadt." I press a curled knuckle to my nostrils. They're haunted with the same hayfever-y tickle, making me want to sneeze.

"I see that." Rin's sleek blonde hair is pulled into a high ponytail, and over her smaller frame she wears my grey Sullivan Project jumper. Her almond eyes fall over me, sitting on the counter. I almost feel the same wave of insecurities that come from my previous years of care, ones I'd never forgotten. Rin never looked at me the way the doctors did. Her hope inspires me to improve.

Her touch is cool against my warm, flushed skin, fingers cradling my jaw. I drift my gaze downward, feeling her eyes survey my appearance. I know some agents are trained to pick up symptoms in other agents - I'd known a few of hers, but only because I know her so well. 

"Hhhihh-" I break away, collapsing the sneeze into the crumpled remains of my tissue. "YISSCHHh!!-*snff* sorry..." I breathe, connecting my gaze with hers.

"Don't be sorry." She says gently, and kisses me on the forehead. She places a hand on my cheek before turning back to the stove. I sniffle and swipe at my eyes. 

"So. How's yours going?" I ask, resting my palms on the counter.

"My progress?" She doesn't look back at me. I tilt my head, watching her cook. "Well," she sighs. "I've kind of been having an off week, to be honest."

I rub my nose, hard. "Yeah?

"Mm." The spatula scrapes against the pan and the oil sizzles loudly. Her face has gone blank. She drops the spatula into he pan and scratches her cheek. "Been working on predators this week."

"Predators." I repeat.

"Yeah. You know? City alley, getting jumped? Self defence and all that shit. It's just," she winces faintly, eyes distant. "Been bad." Her voice is quiet, grave. The guilt weighs me down. The sick feeling returns in my stomach. Zorn's large hands touching her skin. Her last words before we were rescued.

I rub her arm affectionately. Then quietly, I slip off of the counter and drape my arms around her. Her small shoulders heave with a deep breath. Her heart beats steadily, slowly. I know that Rin is strong. When I look at her, I don't doubt her bravery. I believe in her completely.

I place slow, soft kisses on the top of her head, rocking gently back and forth. "Hey," I whisper softly. "It's gonna be okay."

The words come naturally, and for a second the vague presence of her doubt wavers in the midst of a silence. I hold her tightly, for a moment completely forgetting my allergies. 

"Yeah." she whispers after a while.

"You know," I speak softly in her ear. "I really should have done more spot training."

"Really? Mason Johns, out of all the things you could say." Her voice hardens, but not in a threatening sort of way. I pause, hugging her more tightly.

"I should've! I should have focused on training instead of..." I shake my head. 'You're doing this because it's my fault', I think.

"Hey." Her voice is softer, and her body relaxes.

Her head turns, and she pecks me on the lips. My arms loosen, relieved to see her smile.

"Come on." She says, taking the pan and spatula in her hands. "Let's eat."

I can't stop looking at her. She's just so perfect. The hem of my jumper falls past her waist, the edges if her black shorts peeking below. Her dyed blonde hair is a burst of colour, vibrant against the muted shades of the room.

"Esschhu!" I sniffle wetly, blinking back to my senses. I reach for a napkin across the table and blow my nose. The rough material is a bit harsher than the tissue against my sensitive nostrils. "Hhhnn'KNGSCHH!! *snf* uhh..." I run my fingers through my hair, slightly winded.

Rin giggles. "You okay?"

I close my eyes and chuckle. "Yeah."

The food is delicious. Rin is an excellent cook. I reach for seconds, and pour both of us mango juice in glasses. On occasion, I pause to sneeze only a few times. Months ago, I'd been mortified of letting her see me like this, but it had warmed up over time. I began noticing her traits - her habits. Across from me, I gaze at her, secretly waiting until every piece of food on her plate is finished. 

I offer to take her plate, and she lets me, standing up. "You should shower." She says, her eyes full of seriousness.

"I will." I wash the dishes in the sink, rinsing them first before scrubbing them down. Then I feel the itch in my nose return. Hands full, I turn to press my nostrils on my shoulder. It's  no use. "Ihh-" I shake my head slightly, eyelashes fluttering. I have no where else but to direct them downward, with a shuddering- "huh'pTSCHHh!! AESSHHh'oo!" I sniffle wetly, ducking my head to wipe my eyes on my sleeve. The stinging lemon scent of the soap reminds me of the first day on the grounds of the SP.

My eyes feel itchy. I give them a tired rub when Rin isn't looking. I can feel another sneeze building on the tip of my nose, sensitive to the cold air after the shower. I sniffle and wiggle it a bit, hoping to stave it off for the next while.

"You starting test six soon?" I stroke Rin's hair, her head lying in my lap.

"Soon." I say softly. The sessions only get worse as I progress, truly testing my ability to hold back. Thankfully, I'd been able so far.

I can't imagine what it must be like for her, facing her worst fears every day. Terrible things - I'd seen her return, obviously shaken and in no mood to talk. The days I'd seen her cry. The days I couldn't bear to witness it. The only things I could do beside helping her with medication were not as simple as shutting a window, or dusting an area. But I love her. And I'm here to help her too.

I stifle a sudden sneeze between my thumb and forefinger. 

"Bless you." She whispers.

I sniffle wetly. "Thanks, love." I exhale, leaning back. 

As Rin falls asleep on the couch, I rise reluctantly to take another dose of allergy medication. Then, I reach for ibuprofen as well. I'd had an annoying headache all day, and my stitches still hurt from moving around so often.

"Hehh!- Jxxkt'chiew..." I stifle, careful not to wake Rin. My nose is still tickly and sensitive. I long for agynicol, but I know that it will only cause me more troubles than I can handle. "Hhih... Mxgkt!-unhh..." So I'll just have to deal. Running my hands over my tired, itchy face, I tread to the bathroom. In the mirror, my eyes are watery and pink, a shade that nearly matches my runny nose. I can't seem to stop rubbing it, it itches... "Hehh...." I make a grab for the roll of toilet paper and tear off a piece. "Hhh'NXxGKk!! ...guhh...." I blow lightly, quietly. I sit on the lid of the toilet.

Ever since the incident back at the base of the Abductors, I'd barely gotten any sleep at night trying to search the files that we'd managed to acquire before our escape. And by we, I mean the other agents. Time passes by too quickly. I don't doubt that those agents still being held hostage at the base are being treated any different than we were. 

"HrrRSCH!!'uhh..."

What I wanted was experience. A role, a stepping stone closer to achieving something. That wasn't untrue. I know that I can't pass myself and my abilities off as something that they're not. We were warned about that at the beginning of our recruitment - always follow to the mark of your ability. 

It was a stepping stone, indeed. 

"Hah'ESCHh!"

Ouch. I sniffle and rub my nose. I stand and dare to peek under the bandages below my right ribs, breathing carefully as pain courses as a result chest contractions. The skin is still bruised, tinged violet and grey around the wound. In the mirror, my eyes are still reddish, but at least look better than they feel.

/////

Locker doors slam, boosting the ache in my temples tenfold. I blink my watery eyes, staring at how unusually the harsh shade of red settles against the blue. Puffy and inflamed, so itchy... My nose shares a similar shade. I can't help but rub at it constantly, every blow, every sniffle, every-

"Hhuh'TSCHHiu!"

The same laughter is ringing in my ears, hands shoving my skinny shoulders. I flinch forward and brace myself by the mirrors. I abandon my reflection and head to my locker, pulling my shirt on.

"AaaSCHhieww!!" I sniffle harshly, feeling my nose start dripping. Where is my handkerchief... "H-hunhh... uhhh...Hieh'TSCHH!!-huhh... *sdf**snndf*"

To my horror, I notice one of the guys in front of me looking disgusted.

"Get a grip, five."

"Sorry." I grumble. I continue to sniffle wetly, digging in my bag for a fresh handkerchief. I wish I could sink into my bag, out of sight. Finally, my fingers close around soft material. I sit on the bench and blow my nose, but no matter how much I do, it stays blocked. "Hah'Esschu!" I shake my head, as if doing so would help scatter the remains of pollen from my system.

Sniffling annoyedly, I reach for my phone. 'Where are you?' I type hastily. I swipe roughly at the tears that are coming in my eyes.

My phone buzzes. 'Library. Why?'

I hurriedly change my clothes and make my way across the bunker. The huge glass window panes give views of the lake, and overlooks the space for the aeroplanes. I could enjoy the rest of my day studying outside - which would actually be pretty serene if it weren't for my allergies.

I scrub at my nose, which at this point is red and burning. The library might not actually be the greatest place for me right now. After all, my original spot training allergen was supposed to be dust.

Shelves cover each and every wall up to the ceiling, filled with books of every kind. There are a few stories I recognize, fairy tale picture books and serious, heavy novels. I spot a blonde ponytail in between a mass of shelves in the middle of the library. Clumsily, I bump one of the shelves by accident. I blink my itchy eyes and cough, feeling the sudden urge to sneeze. I definitely shouldn't be here right now.

"Hey, you." Rin greets, engrossed in her note-taking. A large, worn text book lies beneath her arms. The black sleeves of her wrinkled dress shirt are rolled up to the elbows. She looks tired. I take the seat in front of Rin's, resting my arms on the table.

"Hey." I say dazedly, and cough into my fist. 

"You get in enough drills for today?" her eyes don't leave the page, letting her long side bangs loom over them in a gold curtain.

"Definitely." I'm suddenly aware of how congested I sound, and rub my nose.

Rin looks up at me. Her dark eyes are kind and beautiful, weathered with stress and pain. Though her behaviour is rather nonchalant, I know she's going through a rough time with her training too. 

"Esschhieww!" I sneeze to the side, too sudden to catch. A few wet sniffles follow. I pull out my handkerchief and wipe my nose.

"Bless you."

"*snnf!* thank you..."

"Did you take your medication earlier?"

"It doesd't work.... Hih'Tschhieww!! *snnf, snf*"

"What do you mean it doesn't work?"

"It just doesd't. *sdf* It barely bakes a differedce ahhd... h-hah'nxXTXCHh-uhh...." I attempt to stifle, remembering that I should try to keep quiet. "Add I just... *sngk* cad't stob sdeezig... -heh! whed I'b traidig... Especially 'cause of the polled. *sdf!*"

She sighs and continues to take notes. "I knew it."

I look up, eyes fluttering. "H-hih-knew what?-HNndschh! *snnf*"

"Bless you."

I mumble a thanks and blow my nose softly. It amazes me how this girl doesn't seem grossed out by my state. Not even too worried - which relieves me in the least.

"The antihistamines," she says, poking the eraser of her pencil on the page. "They aren't good enough. They may be for twos and threes, but to honest... From what I've heard, level fours and higher sometimes require special medication."

"What, like that agynicol stuff?" I ask, sniffling.

"Precisely."

"Would they let me switch?"

"Oh yeah," Rin jots the end of a sentence, then tosses back her long hair. Then, she leans forward and talks in a hushed tone. "Leave it to me, alright Johns? In the meantime-" she pulls something out of her pocket and puts it on the middle of us.

"Where-how did you-"

"Please. I knew you'd need some sooner or later." I can only stare at the small syringe on the table, accompanied by a tiny bottle of clear liquid. It's the medicine, alright.

"Come on, there's gotta be some kin of catch."

She scoffs. "There is no catch. Not now." I swallow, touching one end of the syringe. "We're partners, Johns. You help me, I'll help you. Okay? Now go. Scoot." She waves her hands dismissively at me. "This place has way too much dust."

I smirk, standing up from my chair. I stuff the agynicol in my pockets. For a moment I stand, gazing down at the ground.

"Rin-"

"Yes?" The black roots of her hair channel beautifully into her blonde hair, framing her dark eyes.

"Would you say that I... Eventually... Would you say that I could become a real agent someday?"

She just smiles at me in that clear, yet unreadable nonchalant sort of way. Her shoulders heave a sigh as her head tilts. "Johns," she says, still grinning, "of course you can."

/////

Knock knock. 

"Baby?"

I blink, somewhat startled.

"You okay?"

The door opens ajar, and Rin's dark eyes are visible in the pale bathroom light. 

"I'm fine." I answer softly and kiss her on the top of her head.

"Your side acting up again?"

"Earlier, a little. It's okay now, babe."

"Okay." She mumbles softly, rubbing one eye sleepily. "I was just a little worried you were- hey!" She squeals, as I sweep her off her feet into a bridal lift. I kiss her lips softly, then turn to flick the light switch.

"Don't worry about me." I whisper gently.

I carefully cradle her in my arms as I walk to our bedroom, not bothering to turn on the lights. I quietly hum a song, as I turn to walk down the hall. Rin is already half asleep by the time I stoop to set her down on the bed. 

"Did you take your medicine?" I breathe softly, stroking her hair.

"Mhm." She murmurs, snuggling up next to me.

I smile into her shoulder. Usually she's the one asking me that question. I pull the covers up to my chin and over her to keep us warm. Her hands are cold so I place mine over hers. I close my eyes and rest my cheek on her shoulder.

"What would I do without you?" I breathe.

6 hours ago, Skylacticon said:

I sniffle, feeling my nose about to run. I reach for a tissue and blow my nose. I close my eyes, which ache with weariness and irritation. My nose is itchy beneath my thumb and forefinger. "Hheh..." I shake my head, trying to dismiss the tickle. I try to return my focus on my documents. My nose twitches and I press a curled knuckle beneath it. I can feel my eyes narrowing, as the tickle grows too strong. Hastily, I make a grab for a tissue and hold it to my face. "Hh'Resschhiu! *snf*" my eyes flutter towards the ceiling, feeling a teasing encore. "H'uhh..." Fuck. I give my nose a strong rub and clear my throat. My eyes are itching.

I love these detailed descriptions of what he's feeling and thinking! And the way Mason is so determined to do more, be better, go on, improve.... :wub: 

I was wondering, hypothetically, how Mason would deal with training/missions if he were to catch a cold and would he still be bothered with the allergies on top of that? Would he be able to use the same methods of control as for the allergies? Purely a hypothetical question, of course :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! So it's been while due to some major writer's block, but I'm back with the next part, which looks into another mission with Rin and Mason. Aside from the agents having to accomplish things quickly and stealthily, this one actually gets quite violent. Hope you like - by the way, thanks so much for the comments, guys. :)

Part thirteen:

-----

Mason is a heavy sleeper. 

That's how I know that last night, something must have been wrong. I lie on my back, eyes wide open, the ceiling checkered with black and white shadows being casted from the windows. My mind is racing, scenes of the past six weeks of our last mission in Abductor territory hanging over me. I sit up, quietly breathing in and out. My bare feet slip over the side of the bed, my toes meeting the cold, hard floorboards.

The walk to the bathroom only consists of the constant faint mechanical whir of machinery, accompanied by my soft footsteps on the wooden floor. I bring my arms around myself, feeling the ghostly instinct to shield myself from the unknown. The pale image of myself quickly illuminates as I flick the light switch in the bathroom.

Memories of my sniper post, watching chaos from a distance flood back quicker than I can suppress them. I blink and lower my eyes, then frown and gaze back at my reflection. How is it that something I see so often, so plainly brings back these things so easily? I shake my head, willing myself to forget.

/////

Mason's eyes are the reddest I've seen them. They look painful. I force my gaze away when an explosion occurs, farther east from where we are located. I feel a smaller hand tugging at my elbow.

"Misaki, we are too far away." Darcy's voice trembles, but her words are true. "We need a better position if we plan to execute this plan."

"You take North," I tell her, adjusting my sight. "Find Harper. Do as he says." The younger agent stares at me, then Mason. Her chin trembles. "Quickly. Okay? You'll be fine." I say more gently, urging her by the shoulder.

"But Johns is-"

"Shhh," Mason is too far to hear us, and the constant rattle of gunfire and explosions ring constantly in the air. "He'll be fine. We have it covered."

Darcy nods, her blue eyes filling with bravery. As she runs off, I jam the sight onto my gun, rattling it in frustration when it doesn't fit properly.

"Fuck..." Amidst the guns and yelling, I hear his choked, congested voice. 

"Hey," I murmur, still meddling and rushing to fix my gun. "Hang in there, okay Mas'?"

Pow-pow-pow. "Shit!" I hiss, and duck. Dust and rubble rains down over the stone balcony edge, our only source of cover. "Mason?" I look over at him, still backed up in one corner.

"HxXKk!-XxK-NXKk!" His swollen eyes remain closed, as he merely pants to acquire a few breaths between- "Ah'HnNXGkk!! Gnhh.... Hah... Hyiehh'NxXCK'chieww...

Sweat trails down from his temples, his face flushed red. His shoulders rise and fall with hitching breaths as he's still struggling to stifle with all his might. When his head finally rises after that fit, his soaked sniffles and weak coughs can be heard over the continuous chaos below. His nose, utterly scarlet and twitching dangerously, is obviously doomed to more sneezes, as the dust erupts in clouds. It's enough to make me cough as I squint through the foggy particles.

"Mmm-GXXN!!-nn... Hhh..." Damn it. I need to get him out of here. 

Boom.

But how? Don't panic Rin, don't panic. Okay, steady breaths. Remember your - BOOM - remember your training. Okay.

I rise again to lean over the hole in the stone wall. Breathe, Rin. I try hard to relax my shoulders and aim at blue figures down below. Come onnnn...

I hear Mason dive into a fit of coughs, and sink back against the wall. The next few breaths aren't easy as I turn to him, my heart pounding. Rin, don't panic, don't panic...

"Okay," I hear myself say out loud. I quickly search my pockets for his inhaler. Where is it?

"Rid?" 

MASONS POV

Damn it. I reach over and squeeze one of Rin's hands, which are rummaging frantically in her bag. 

"Hey." I try to say as calmly as possible, as calm as one can be in the middle of a war zone in the middle of a suffocating allergy attack. No chance. Her dark eyes meet mine. Dark brown, almost black, captivating me for a moment until I hear - is that the sound of - whistling?

It's getting closer.

"RIN!"

I yank her on top of me as the force of the next explosion sends us tumbling over terrain. I open my eyes. She's safe, thank god. I look around. We were thrown quite a distance from that stone wall, deeper into the Kobin forest. Rin helps me to my feet, still looking panicked.

"You okay?" She asks, but I'm busy doubled over, coughing.

"Fine," I choke out. When I can finally look at her, one hand is outstretched. My inhaler. How did she... "Thanks."

After one dose, we make a plan to find another post nearer towards the Abductors. I'm a little frustrated that I'm having to tone down my efficiency during these missions, but my allergies always seem worse around Abductor territory.

"Hihh..." Although my nose burns, I try a little harder with my suppression tactics around Rin, considering her challenges as well. I can already tell it's becoming difficult for her. "*snnf* hh..." I sniffle wetly and press a curled knuckle underneath my nostrils. As we creep nearer, my eyes are getting more and more watery. I look up momentarily, almost on the verge of letting loose. "*snnnff*" Come on...

"Misaki!" A figure comes out of no where, and my heart nearly stops.

"Whoa, Darcy!"

"Huh'ISSCHH!! NNnschh!! Hah'GxXk-NxxrK!!-hunhh..." No, no...

"Sorry, Johns, I..." Darcy's cheeks go bright red, as mine must be, as I try to contain myself. I swear, she came out of no where. "I didn't mean to startle you guys."

"That's fine, Darce." Rin says. "Where's the rest of our squad?"

"Up by the bridge. Hey, I saw that huge missile, are you guys okay? If you're hurt, I can do first aid. Bella taught me to dress wounds. And breaks. Sort of. But, well, if anything's broken then-"

"We're fine, kiddo." I sniffle quietly and try to smile assuringly.

"Oh, good. For a minute I thought-"

BOOM.

"Darcy!!" I hear my own voice, a raw cry that scrapes my throat.

/////

RINS POV

Darcy.

A sudden terrible feeling strikes me in the chest, as all of a sudden I start shaking. I turn away from the mirror, cupping my mouth hard with my hand to keep from making any noise. My back hits the wall, and I squeeze my eyes shut, just before the tears fall.

"Huh'NxXGk'tchuh... *sdrf*" 

I quickly wipe my face, sniffing hard. His footsteps come nearer down the hall. The door creaks open.

"Babe? *snnf* Baby... Hey... Hey, what's the matter?" I see Mason's strong and taller frame in the mirror, although my eyes avoid his the minute he steps into the room. "*snnf* Here, sit down." He guides me to sit on the lid of the toilet, my face hot. I hear him leave for a quick moment, then return with a box of Kleenex. "Here. Breathe for me, okay?" I cry into a crumpled tissue, gasping in sobs. "Do you-hhh *snnf* sorry- huh'Gxxt!-uhh.. *sdf!* so sorry... " He clears his throat. I can breathe a little easier now, although embarrassment courses through me. When I look up, he's in front of me, crouched to my level.

I reach out to touch his face, his warm, clear skin. His blue eyes pierce through me, somehow searching for my answer deep inside me. I look at the tinged hues of red around them. Around his nose.

My Mason.

A smile breaks out across his face. "Hey. You alright in there?"

I can't help but grin, I lean my shaking frame over and wrap my arms around him. His arms come around to shelter me. Somehow even though the memories of our journey are racked with loss and trauma, I seem to find love and strength in the ones he's given me. 

"I am now."

Hey! Happy Thanksgiving, guys. Hope everyone's doing well.

So, this next chapter of TSP is a little more chill than the last. It's basically another training session, this time Rin is helping Mason again with pollen. Let's jump right in, shall we?

Part fourteen:

-----

Crushing every ounce of hesitation inside me, I take a deep breath. All at once, it hits me - the potent fragrance of the freshly mowed grass, the sickly sickly sweet scent of the flowers. I stagger backward and cough. Wow, that is strong. I clench my fist over my mouth, resisting the urge to give up. 

"Too much?" Rin asks.

"No, it's-" God, I'm already starting to itch- "it's fine."

I wiggle and scrunch my nose, which to my surprise is helping a bit. The inner walls of my nostrils are beginning to prickle with a familiar sensation. Blinking, I drop my fist and straighten my posture

"Okay, start." I say.

"Wait."

"Bloody hell, Rin." My fingers return to my face, rubbing at my nose. Damn, I shouldn't have done that. I have to sneeze. Right. Training. Rin, hurry up. 

The fog of pollen in the spot room is almost dizzying, occupying my breathing space quite surely. I stand and stare along the side of the room and try to ignore the oncoming reaction.

"Huh." My eyelids flutter. I'm on the verge of a sneeze, feeling the effects of the pollen work rapidly. "What're you... Hah'TSCHHHhh!!-ohh, god..." My eyes well up immediately. And, here we go. I sniffle by habit, eyes narrowing. "What's going on?"

"Sorry," Rin's digging in the desk drawer, searching for something.

"I- *snff* I might not be able to hold back much longer." You can already hear it in my voice, the stuffiness and punctuating sniffles. 

"Ah, here. Okay." She pulls out a remote and places it on the desk, then takes her clipboard in one hand. "How are we doing, Mason?"

"Oh, just- right as rain, babe. *snf,snff*"

"Here, I'll turn it down." The fog lessens slightly, but the prickly itchy feeling still tingles up in my nostrils.

"Hheh-hehh...."

"You're gonna have to try to hold it back. This is a new training allergen - Pollen...." She examines the paper on the clipboard. "Number 015."

"Great." It's becoming quite hard to ignore the pollen in the air, as it starts to affect me differently compared to other allergens. My throat is actually beginning to itch - I dread the oncoming asthma. My nose is beginning to run, causing the inevitable constant sniffling. It just makes it all worse.

"Alright. So. Let's begin. We'll start with... What did you have for breakfast today, Mason?"

"Um." I blink my itchy eyes and try to focus. "Right. Breakfast. I had some tohh-hoast-" I clear my throat. "Toast. And... Hhh... Sorry, ihht's really t-tickling..."

"You can do it, Mason. Come on. What else?"

Through watery eyes, my focus wavers on my suppression and onto the spectacular importance of what I've eaten so far today. "I uhhh... *snf* I've had some fruit as well." A curled knuckle is lodged tightly against my nose, crushing my septum. Like barbed wire, the itch is coiling its way deeper inside my nose. As my breath starts to hitch involuntarily, I hastily attempt to gulp it down and begin speaking. "Ummm... For lunch, we had... Hih! Ihh.... Hhhhehh.... had that...." My voice is increasingly shrinking, while the tickle only grows larger. "Hehh'ihhh... Uhh... HiEh'TSCHHHIEWW!! ESSCHHHIEWW!! *snnf, snnrf* Oh... *snnf*" 

It's bad. It's realistic. It genuinely feels as if I'd buried my face in a bouquet of marigolds. I have to restrain from rubbing my eyes, which are streaming profusely. However, the absolute need to get at the absolutely burning itch in my nose is one I can't ignore. The hayfever-ish itch is much like days where the pollen is high, but on steroids.

"I cad't... Hhiehh! Heh! Huhh," I can't stop touching my nose, feeling the ghostly presence of a feather working it's way this way "hiehh-" and that "UTSCHhu!! Uuhhhh...." I groan, swiping at my streaming eyes. I sniffle and snort against the thick congestion, despite the itchy particles in the air. "*snngk!* Huhh. *ahem!* We had sobe chicked." Thoroughly congested, the rims of my flaring nostrils burn in respond to my rubbing. The deep burning sensation only grows the more I try to scrub it away. "Hh-HieHn'GxXNn!!-chuhh.... AH'GxXn!-chuhh... Huhh... Add I... ihh'hhieehhh...." The pollen is so strong. It takes every bit of focus to hold back the oncoming sneeze, some of which I'm not going to be able to stifle. I press the back of my hand against my nose as hard as I can. "Ohh, Je... jehheee- huh. *snnrfl* Jesus. Okay. Sorry, it's reahheelly... Really hard..."

"Go on."

"That's it. *snnrk* guh..." I breathe out a groan and sniffle.

"Umm. Now tell me about your current mission."

I cough and sniff, wrinkling my nose before I can speak. "Ub... Hhuhhh.... *snrf* latest bissiod... Heh! Isss... *ahem* sorry. Latest bissiod is Eberahh... *snf* Eberald Poidt. Highest radked id--HisSCHIEW!!-IESSCHU!!" I pitch forward with a sudden double. I swallow and give my nose a few harsh rubs. "'Scuse be."

"Bless you. And?"

"They scored the highest... Busidess radkig. Add... Hahh..." A desperate sigh, a stubborn twitch. "Biggest bass weapod p- prod-hh! Hh'MNXGT! MNXGg'chieww... *ahem* productiod. *snnrf*"

"Good. Now... Position?"

"Idvestigator."

Rin raises an eyebrow at my one word answer. I sigh. "A hehh-" I scrub furiously at my itching nostrils. "Hh-haddler of- hehh-ihh! Heavy duty bachidery."

RINS POV

Sniffle, rub, sigh.

H's are the death of a sneezer, catching on the fraying breaths and desperate hitches. Mason's muscles bulge though the tight black cloth of his uniform as he lifts his fingers to his nose. It takes restraint to keep from fiddling with the dial.

"Hehht'NxGKt!-uhhh..."

Mason has had hay fever for as long as I'd known him, probably since he was a child. As he wipes at his watery eyes and sniffles for the hundredth time, I find myself gazing at him across the glass. A rush of dread courses through me, and I hurry to suppress the memory it comes with - it's the image of Mason with both of his arms chained up towards the ceiling. Seeing that, at the time was the worst thing imaginable. Watching as the symptoms worsened. Pressing him on and on until... I swallow. Not entirely different from why goes on at the Sullivan Project. However, the look in his eyes, the feeling of desperation and draining returns.

"Babe? *snff!* You okay?" Behind Mason's pink glassy eyes is a kindness that softens the hard dread in my stomach. Before he can say anything, I respond.

"Yeah. I was just..." Pretending to work? Lowering the allergen dial? Jeez, I need to work on my lies.... "Reading what comes next."

"Hah'NXxngk!-iughh..." He sniffles wetly. "Christ." 

"Here, let's take a break. Get out of there."

I meet him in the spot room and monitor his status, which is frankly worse than any other allergen in the quickest amount of time.

"Think you can go on?" I ask him.

"*snnff*...." Mason swipes at his eyes and sniffles. As he folds up his tissues and faintly gearing up for a sneeze, he nods. "Yeah, I ju-huss, hah... Just gotta take a b- a, heh, Hah'TSCHhmff!!-uhhh..." A harsh sniffle, followed by another rub beneath his itchy, reddened nostrils. "*snf!* sorry. I meant a breather." He says, still working at the teasing, tormenting tickle. His eyelashes flutter with a small twitch of his nose. "Hhehh... Oh..." He's cursed with a vocalized false start, and he chuckles. "Lost the... Hhh.... T-the sdeeze- hhihh! ESSCHHIEWW!!" He sneezes openly, a large monster of a sneeze that snuck up on him. 

"Bless you, baby." I rub his shoulder as he massages his nose through the damaged tissues. His breath, still scissoring in his chest, is coming faster by the second.

"Ohh. Huh! Hhih-guh! IESSCHHHU-ESSSCHHII!! Hh... Uhh.... Uh? Huh'PTSCHHIEWW!!! *sddrf* guh... *ahem*... Scuse be..."

"While we're here... Let's do a checkover, shall we?" I say, pulling out my clipboard.

"Alright. *snf!*"

"So, symptoms?"

"Uhh... *snnf* itchy eyes. Itchy throat. AESCHHh!! Sdeezig, defiditely."

"Okay... How would you rate your ability to suppress the symptoms on your own?"

"*ssddf*" Mason coughs and sniffles wetly. "Dot very buch. Baybe a... Fehh... *sdf* a five?"

MASONS POV

I watch as Rin writes down my experiences, constantly rubbing at my itchy nose. It's constantly running, making me have to sniffle every five seconds.

"Okay. And," she flips the page. 

"HihhYISSCHiuU!!" I sniffle and snort harshly, looking around for the box of tissues. My nose is completely stuffed, making my eyes water. My quest is becoming more and more frantic as I feel the tickle intensify.

"And how would you compare the-"

"Hahh," it's no use. I hold up my index finger and dip my head to the side. "RREESSCHHHIUU!!" 

RINS POV

I jump as Mason suddenly emits a huge, spraying sneeze towards the ground - loud and itchy-sounding. He straightens a little, cupping his palm over his nose. Face flushed and winded, he mumbles, "I deed a tissue."

After I pass him one he immediately blows his nose. It's thick and gurgly, sounding much needed. Afterwards he's still a bit sniffly, but able to proceed.

"Sorry, what was the question?"

"Don't worry. The question was, how would you compare this pollen to other allergens that you've tested?"

He hitches a half-laugh, and swipes at his eyes. "It's quite bad, actually."

I complete the form and set it aside. "Well," I say, "you have the stifling down."

"*snf* yeah. *snf*"

"Ready to continue?"

Mason clears his throat. His fingers are still scrubbing beneath his red nostrils. Then they drop, with a sharp sniff.

"Let's go."

"Alright."

I was from behind the glass as Mason enters the white room, looking shifty as hell. I know that suppression will not be easy judging by his progress so far - a pattern among most agents with allergies. 

"Ready?" I ask.

"Ready."

With a heavy heart, I turn the knob up to three. I hear the hissing of the smoke, Mason's eyes narrowing. He scrunches up his nose and slowly shakes his head, as if he could dismiss the prickly pollen on his own.

"Okay. Count to ten." A simple exercise.

Mason nods. His eyes squeeze shut with concentration and his nose twitches. "Right. *sdf* okay. Ode. Two. Three. F-fhhour... *sdf* five. Six. Seved-hhih-eight," he raises his right hand and lodges his index finger beneath his nostrils. "Dnhihh... Hih... *snnff* uhh... Huuuhhh..." His expression wavers as the itch gets stringer. "Dide- Ted." 

"Okay, now uh..." I flip the pages hastily. "Okay." I sigh and set the binder aside. "Now in the straightest way possible," I say pointedly, feeling my heart sink now that we're face to face. "Describe your state."

"Like," Mason huffs. "My actual state?"

"Yeah."

"Hm. Okay, ahh..." Mason kneads his knuckles against his itchy nostrils, eyes narrowing. "It seebs Ihh'b.... Uhhh..." He looks up at the ceiling, lips parted,  desperately fighting a sneeze. "I'b quite allergic to polled. *sdff!*" he chuckles. His reddened nose twitches and buzzes with the wrath of a thousand bees, but he continues shakily. "B-by eyes are... Ahh'hihh... Eyes are very watery. *sddf* add... I'b itchy... Hihh! S-sooo... Ihh! So itchy. By dose-" his flaring, red, sensitive nostrils twitch as his mouth fall open with hitching. "Haahh... *sddff* b'dose really tigkles....ahh... Ahhnd..." He scrubs harder at his nose, struggling to force back the undying itch.

"Yes." I prompt, feeling useless.

"I thigk that I- hh-hhh! 'ave to... s-s-ssdeehh-SSCCHHHU!!-ISSSCHHU-HURRESSCHHH!! Huh-*sddf!* hunhh..." Mason sneezes loudly and openly, crumbling into a fit that wasn't ending. "HASSHHH-ASSSCHH-REESCHH-EEESCHHHJM!! Ohh..." He moans, swaying dizzily.

"Bless you." I say, biting the inside of my lip. "C'mon. Session's over." Mason obliges, blowing his nose.

He leans back in the chair, thoroughly winded. His closed eyes and nose are tinted red. I prepare the medicine quickly, filling the syringe.

"Ready?" He nods.

After the usual shot of agynicol, Mason's breath takes off again, as he gears up for another fit. "Huhh," he straightens his chest, eyes fluttering closed. "IESSCHHH-ESSCHH-ESSHhuh!" He explodes, and I manage to get a handful of tissues to him last minute. "*sdf* ughh... HURRESSSCHHIUU!! Ah, huh- *sdf* Uhh! HYESSCHHHUHHh!! Uh'TCHU!! TsSCHU! TSCHH-TSCHH-ISCHH-AESSCHHIEWW!!" They bend him double, sounding desperate and itchy. Long, drawn out blows fill the silence as I put away the medicine, checking his papers. 

"So. First session with the pollen sample?"

Mason gives a congested cough, pressing a knuckle to his twitching nostrils. "Cad't stop-aahh'ESSCHIU!-ESCHU! -sdeezig," he croaks miserably. "

"Mhm."

"Well, it just.. *sddf!* it itches so bad..." He scrubs under his nostrils, which are a deep shade of pink at this point. "It's like, hehh- *sddf!* My god, I can't even talk..." He swipe at his eyes, looking quite tired.

"Ah, come on. You did well. For the first time being exposed to it, I say you handled it as anyone would.

Mason sniffles. "What kind?"

"Umm, wildflower. From Abductor territory."

He sighs in frustration, lying back on the reclined chair. "That's why. Every time we're on a mission, I just... Ugh!" I watch him sit upright. "There's just... Something stronger than it usually is here."

"Uh-huh. That's why we need to train harder. You don't think they know agents like us?" I take a seat on a stool next to him.

He frowns. I feel bad for him, but I know that he's had it coming. After all, we dedicate our lives to solving a problem. If defending an entire base was as simple as targeting certain issues, then those problems were going to get in the way.

"Hey." I place my hand over his. "It'll get easier overtime. It just takes practice, remember?" 

He nods. Now he seems in a much better state, now that the medicine is working. I pat his hand.

"Now, you need to go wash up, get changed." I pick up the training package and his papers. "I need to organize these. I'll meet you upstairs in a few."

I feel a kiss on my cheek, and turn my head to smile at him.

"You're the best." He says softly.

"I know." I breath, and lean in to kiss him on the lips.

MASONS POV

I grin and get up from the chair, looking back once at Rin sorting the binder. A lingering itch is still teasing me, and I try to hastily rub it away.

"I love you!" I call from the door.

Rin looks up, grinning suddenly as if she'd have expected me to have left already. She giggles. "Love you too, dork."