Sneeze Fetish Forum

Falling Hard and Fast (M) - (14 Parts) - complete!

meepsy

You've literally just killed me.

But I mean that in the best possible way there is. :lol:

I can't even START to tell you everything I love about this, although I can say that I've re-read this more times than healthy. ;)

I love how he started off only sneezing in singles, and BAM this fit comes. And lemme tell you, that was freaking LOVE right there.

I'm so in love with Kasper, btw. And he's fictional. :naughty:

If only if only. :laugh:

But the power shift lines, the one where you mention that he'd unleashed a powerful weapon... oh gawd, you have some serious talent. Like, major major major major talent girl. You should write a book. I'd buy it. :P

That cliffy is just incredible.

I want moreeeeee.

<33333333333333333333

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm actually a little pissed off actually. How can you write like this and then leave a cliff hanger like that and expect EVERYONE to be okay? I'M NOT OKAY! More please!

How...how the bleeding NORAH did I miss this one! :) The mind boggles ...not only it is beautifully written its just so freaking addictive! What a cliff hanger :) scenario, characters, everything.

I'm gushing...I need to sit in a dark room...oh wait..I am.

I'm so sorry for the long wait, everyone! Family drama issues took over my brain for a while (:bleh:) but now I'm back, and so is the story! This one is a bit...conversational...for lack of a better word, but the plot is getting thicker, and the next chapter should be full of some extra-special goodies! :winkwink:

Kasper: ...I hadte you.

Meeps: Sorry Kas, but the people have needs! :P

Anyway, enjoy!

<<extra apologies to LetMeBe: I hope you weren't too pissed! I'll try to reign in my cliff hangers a bit from now on :lol::bleh: >>

Part Seven

It was all Sonja could do to keep herself from letting out a frantic yelp of surprise. She sat: trembling, red-faced, convincing herself that the doorbell she heard was merely a product of her severely strung out mind. But then, it sounded again, twice this time: the first ring bluntly extinguished by the second, and there was no more denying it.

“Coming,” Sonya called, and wasn’t surprised to hear her voice come out strangled. She took one last look at the…picture (congratulations Sonja, you’ve just reached a whole new height of creepy) before ripping the page out and shoving it hastily beneath the sofa cushion. The doorbell continued to sound as Sonja raced clumsily to the door.

“Jesus, Idt’s aboudt timbe!” Kasper all but shouted when she finally opened it. He shivered in the blustering winter wind, looking about as good as he sounded. Sonja felt herself staring at his face: the face that had not a minute ago been contorted with a landslide of desperate sneezes, the face that had somehow burned itself into her subconscious. It was so pale, so drained -- his nose and the skin underneath both a painful chapped red, stubble back in full force…Sonja was astounded that she hadn’t already self-combusted. About a million different emotions read in his expression: irritation, exhaustion, desperation and guilt – just to name a few, but as they stood, taking each other in, the emotion that slowly came to dominate was one of wary confusion.

“Erm…are you alright?” he asked, as Sonja fought to collect her wits, realizing what she must have looked like. She just barely contained a bout of hysterical laughter. Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?!

“Fine…” she finally gasped out. “…exercising…” Kasper raised a skeptical eyebrow.

“Whadt’s thatdt?” he said, looking down at her feet. It was one of her drawings, face down, blown over by the wind. Sonja had a moment of terror as he reached down to grab it, convinced that it was somehow that picture, magically freeing itself from the couch and flying over here to cause her misery, but it turned out to be a still-life -- one of her better ones in fact.

Kasper examined the drawing closely. “Wow…” he breathed to himself, and Sonja felt her face redden even more; a feat she hadn’t thought possible. “You drew this?” he asked.

“Y-yeah,” Sonja stuttered, closing the door a bit so that he wouldn’t see the others scattered all over her living room.

“Idt’s incredible.” Kasper said, straight faced, and (to Sonja’s amazement), with complete genuineness.

Somehow Sonja had lost the ability to breathe. In another minute she was sure she was going to be comatose. “Th-anks,” she finally managed to choke out. Kasper looked at her a moment longer, then shook his head slightly, seeming to remember why he was there in the first place.

“Listen, I, um..” Kasper frowned, handing the picture back. “…I need to askg you a favor.” he said, looking as if he’d rather be nailing his fingers to the door frame. The mix of emotion was back on his face, and Sonja grew concerned that something was wrong.

“Sure,” she said. “What is it?”

“I justd got a call. I need to pickg Molly up fromb school … she’s sickg.” he said, guilt furiously painting itself across his face.

“What?!” Sonja questioned, startled. “She looked fine yesterday!”

“I kndow,” Kasper growled, staring at his feet. “She woke up coughing this morning, budt she said she wanted to go tdo school for sombe ridiculous Valentine partdy…” That’s right, Sonja realized with a jolt. It was February thirteenth: the day before Valentine’s Day. She had completely forgotten.

“…budt apparentdly she has a fever now, so I have to bring her hombe…” he sniffed and wiped his nose on his sleeve, cheeks burning with guilt and shame. He coughed into his gloved fist, and Sonja wondered if he was running a fever himself.

“..I was hoping you could wadtch Sammby for a bidt.” Kasper continued before Sonja could interject. “He’s down for his nap, and if I wake himb up to takge himb with mbe he’ll be cranky the whole nighdt…” He coughed again, and Sonja could sense the hairs on his skin bristling, like a trapped animal’s, against the question that they both knew was hanging right on the edges of Sonja’s lips: Are you feeling alright?

After his fit had abated, Kasper closed his eyes, breathed in and whispered one word: Please

And Sonja, knowing full well the purpose of that please, swallowed back the question she so dearly wanted to ask, and instead said:

“Of course”

---

After watching Kasper drive away, Sonja turned around to face Karina’s living room. It was absolute chaos. Toys, clothing, towels, dishes, and other various pieces of debris were strewn about the whole room -- scattered on the floor, and piled atop the furniture. Sonja knew from the few times prior that she had been in Karina’s house that this had to be a recent development: Karina was a bit flighty, yes, but she still kept a clean house. Kasper, on the other hand, didn’t appear to know the first thing about housekeeping. I guess that’s the sort of thing you miss out on when you spend most of your life in hotel rooms , Sonja thought.

She carefully made her way toward the stairs, but it was like walking through a field of landmines. Cripes Almighty, this has got to be the least relaxing environment ever! No wonder everyone’s sick! And then it hit her: the perfect way to help. She would check on Sammy, and then she would clean up this ridiculous mess. She didn’t know what Kasper’s reaction was going to be, but that didn’t really matter. This apartment was not fit for two sick people to recover properly in, and that was a fact.

So, after checking on the sleeping toddler, Sonja went to work.

---

It was nearly a half an hour later that Sonja heard Kasper’s car roll into driveway, and by then she had the place just about squared away. The living room had been the worst by far, but there had been a pile of dirty dishes in the kitchen sink as well, not to mention garbage that needed to be taken out.

Over the course of her speed-clean, Sonja had discovered another thing about the apartment: it was completely ill-equipped for any kind of disease recovery. There wasn’t one box of tissues to be found in the entire place, and Sonja noticed the bathroom trashcan was full to the brim with crumpled wads of toilet paper. So, that was why his nose looked so irritated. And then, there was the fact that all the cold medication, both child and adult, had already expired. Karina must be a buy-it-when-you-need-it type person. Well, at least she had a thermometer.

What worried Sonja was the possibility of Kasper’s pride would get in the way of purchasing these care-taking essentials. She hoped that wouldn't be the case, now that Molly was sick as well, but still, she wouldn’t put it past him…

The sound of them crunching up the icy steps put butterflies in her stomach. As the door opened, Sonya braced herself for Kasper’s reaction.

Sonya could see immediately that something had happened during the car ride home. Molly had tears drying on her cheeks and Kasper looked absolutely livid. But as soon as the little girl saw Sonja standing there, a smile broke across her pale face.

“Sonya!” Molly cried. “You cleaned!” The little girl did indeed look worse for the wear; her voice was scratchy and her shoulders slumped with fatigue. Kasper, (who looked no better), said nothing as he scanned the room, but the corners of his lips turned down in a tense frown.

“Yeah,” Sonja said, directing her attention to the girl. “I heard you weren’t feeling good and I wanted to make the house nice for you to relax in” she blushed as she felt Kasper’s glare fix upon her.

“I didn’t even get to stay for the party,” Molly whined, on the verge of tears again. She threw Kasper an angry look, like it was all his fault. Kasper closed his eyes: a mechanism, it seemed, against complete explosion.

Sonja continued to ignore him, kneeling down beside the girl, letting her motherly instincts take over. “I know,” she said, touching the girl’s forehead and feeling the unhealthy heat it gave off. “but you know what? I bet your class is making you extra special get-well valentines just for you…” Molly’s eyes glinted at the thought of having ‘extra-special’ valentines. Sonja was pretty positive the teacher would have the class do something like that; at least, that’s what she would do anyway.

“…but,” Sonja continued. “…you won’t be able to go back to school and find out until you feel better, which means you have to get lots of rest, right?” Molly nodded resignedly.

“So I think the best thing to do would be to go upstairs, get into your pj’s, and take a little nap. Then maybe, if you’re feeling better, you and your Uncle Kasper can watch a movie together.” Sonja kept her eyes trained on the girl, expecting some sort of protest from Kasper, but instead she heard a different kind of interruption:

“hng’CHTT!”

Loud, and stifled. Of course. Sonja looked up to find Kasper waging an intense battle against the additional sneezes that were itching to be released. In the end, he won, but looked absolutely beside himself, regardless.

“Bless you,” Sonja said, not without a hint of complacency. Kasper colored, but sustained his frigid silence.

Molly, however, did protest. “No!” she said, flinging her arms around Sonja. “I don't want him! I want you!”

At last, Kasper felt the need to chime in: “Ndo Molly, Sonja cand’t stay here.” he said curtly. “I’mb sure she has other things she ndeeds to do.” His eyes dared her to challenge him. Well, it’s true. Sonja thought to herself. There are a few things I need to take care of…

“Your uncle’s right, I do have to leave…” Sonja said out loud to the girl. Then, she whispered, too quiet for Kasper to hear: “but I’ll come back in little while. Our secret, okay?” she winked; Molly smiled and nodded back excitedly.

Sonja stood up and made for the door, turning to Molly one last time:

“Be a good girl and take care of yourself for me, alright?” she said, then turned back toward the entrance, and to Kasper. She wasn't sure how a glare could be so heated, and yet so icy at the same time. You’re welcome! Sonja wanted to say as she strode past him to the door, but what she did end up muttering was probably even more damaging to his ego:

“You too”

Then, leaving Kasper to fume and blush. Sonja pulled open Karina’s front door and left the apartment.

<3 Thank you again for the lovely comments! :mega-snuggles for all:

*Dies*

:P Not even a morning of watching Richard Armitage swan around as the terrible (and terribly sexy) Guy of Gisbourn is better than this!

What I love about this is how perfectly you capture that completely parayltic feeling when you meet someone who is just so bloody egotisical and arrogant and yet somehow managed to *make* you fall for them becuase of the glimpses of their hidden personality traits. Kaspers genuine apprechiation of the picture was beautifully done, very simple yet just right, like the baby bears porridge!

Here are my favourite bits...

After his fit had abated, Kasper closed his eyes, breathed in and whispered one word: Please

And Sonja, knowing full well the purpose of that please, swallowed back the question she so dearly wanted to ask, and instead said:

“Of course”

Now that is what I call truely great bit of double meaning writing!

“Be a good girl and take care of yourself for me, alright?” she said, then turned back toward the entrance, and to Kasper. She wasn't sure how a glare could be so heated, and yet so icy at the same time. You’re welcome! Sonja wanted to say as she strode past him to the door, but what she did end up muttering was probably even more damaging to his ego:

“You too”

Then, leaving Kasper to fume and blush. Sonja pulled open Karina’s front door and left the apartment.

:bleh: I think Kasper and William have currently cornered the market on not knowing whats good for them. I have to admit, I am just a little bit, hopelessly in love with Kasper.

Thank you soooo much for this. You deserve cake....a shed load of cake!

Now how long is it gonna be before Sonja finally manages to crack Kasper's icy cold front? Oooh the suspense....this is just too good!!

Hmmm, there's just something about every part that I love.

I think for this one, I love how desperate he is for help, yet unwilling to break from his demeanor.

Oh, and that blushing makes me absolutely mellltt. How adorable. <3

I love his denial, and I love her breaking him outta it.

And I suspect guilt about Molly, which is even cuter on him. :drool:

Jeez, I guess Sonja's not the only one that's fallen for him. :heart:

I can't believe I just found this I'm now one huge pile of goo. :drool: I don't think I'll be able to wait for the next part. Hurry! :shy:

This so great. Kasper is just too lovely and I can't waint for the next part.

I was a little heartbroken not to see an update yet since I love this story so much! The way you are building tension is almost too much for me!!! :D

Thanks for posting it, can't wait to see what happens next!

----

Meeps: Well well! Kas, it looks like you've acquired a fan club!

Kasper: Thadt's because of mby irrisistable worldly charmb......H'GTCHUU!

Meeps: ;) sure it is, hon.

Sonja: :facepalm:

----

Seriously guys, thank you all so much for your comments! Apologies for the long wait, I must've started this chapter about fifty times before I got something I was satisfied with. Anyway, this chap was meant to be extra long, but it's not quite finished and I have to go to work, soooo I've broken it up, and I'll post the second part later tonight. Love you all sosososososo much!

Here you go!

Part Eight

Standing on Karina’s doorstep, arms wrapped around herself against the chilly late winter wind, Sonja could still feel those eyes, blue like the hottest kind of fire, (and yet still so cold) burning on her skin. She had never been looked at like that before, never with such intensity, and for what? Because she did him a favor? She barely knew him; he had no right to be looking at her…like that…

Well, she got him. No more giving in. Whatever reason Kasper had for his bordering-on-reckless denial of being ill, Sonja wasn’t playing into it anymore. Not with Molly sick as well. Stupid fluttery feelings aside, Sonja knew she had to step up and meet this thing head-on, for Molly’s sake. And she knew just how to do it, too.

Alrighty, Sonja babe. It’s go time.

---

Two hours and one grocery store stop later, Sonja was back on Karina’s doorstep, laden with a veritable arsenal of cold-fighting supplies. Tissues, cough drops, cold medicine, Vicks rub (couldn’t hurt, could it?), coloring books for Molly, and of course: chicken-noodle soup. Sonja had only made her mother’s recipe a few times before now, but she was pretty confident in her abilities, and anyway, it beat the pants off of Campbell’s.

Fighting the nerves that bubbled in the pit of her stomach, Sonja finally composed herself enough to ring the doorbell. No answer. Anger welled inside her as she pushed the doorbell down again. Finally, the door opened and there was Kasper, looking disheveled and hostile.

“Hey, Kasper” Sonja greeted, testing out the waters. Kasper narrowed his eyes.

“Kas” he corrected sullenly.

“Kas…” Sonja amended, though she found it weird on her tongue.

…how are you feeling?

“…how’s Molly?” Coward.

Kasper tensed. A flicker of guilt flashed across his face. “She’s finde” he grumbled congestedly. “Now if you’ll excuse mbe,” he made to close the door “I’m rather busy at the mo-”

“Hold on a second!” she said, grabbing the door. Oh, no. He wasn’t getting rid of her that easily. “I, er, brought some stuff over that I thought you could use…”

“…for Molly.” she added when his glower intensified.

A disdainful smirk suddenly found its way onto Kasper’s haggard face. “Let mbe guess…” he pointed to the thermos she was carrying. “Chickgen soup?”

Sonja blushed deeply. How in god’s name could he be such an incredible prick? Still, she forced herself to stay cool:

“I’m only trying to help” she said softly.

Kasper’s eyes narrowed. He sniffed, then stepped out onto the doorstep, closing the door behind him to keep the living room from getting cold. He shivered in his thin sweater, but in his eyes there was nothing but stark defiance.

“Loogk Sonja,” he said icily. “I’mb grateful for your…assistance…earlier, budt I assure you, I have everything under condtrol.” His voice was practically dripping with repugnance, and this Sonja took offense to.

“I suppose you have a better plan for dinner then, mister chef?!” she spat angrily, her patience extinguished.

“Sure. You’ve heard of delivery, ridght?” Kasper retorted, the easy grin on his face not reaching his eyes. He sniffed again and rubbed at his nose.

“What?! Pizza?!” Sonja yelled, completely at her wit’s end. “Oh, just brilliant! I’m sure that’s going to do wonders for yours and Molly’s health!!”

“Hey, I amb finde, alrighdt?!!” Kasper shouted hoarsely. “I don’dt- ...hng’TTCH!” he snapped forward; a sudden, viscous sneeze shuddering through him. Sonja shuddered also, nearly dropping her packages.

“hg’GTCH-uu!” he couldn’t completely stifle the second one, there was too much pressure behind it. The end of the sneeze ended up sounding weak and pained.

“g’TXCH-uu! ‘EKTCH-uu! h’TTCH-uu!” He kept his hand to his face as he sniffed, deep and gurgling, then slowly drew it away, wiping it across the side of his pants. For a long moment Kasper stayed frozen with his eyes closed, brow creased in furious self-hatred; then finally, he met her stare.

His eyes still retained some of their defiance, but the rest of his posture and expression spoke clearly of bitter defeat. The sneezes seemed to have drained him of his energy; he looked to be on the verge of collapse. He restrained a cough, a single tremor of exhaustion just barely escaping his control.

Sonja decided not to push it: “Kasper-, um…Kas” she began. “I’m here for Molly, alright? That’s it. You can do what you want, just let me do what’s best for her.” And then Sonja saw something else in Kasper’s eyes: Sadness? Jealousy? He turned away before Sonja had a chance to register it completely.

“…Finde,” he muttered at last, and, with his back toward her, he sighed heavily and opened Karina’s door.

---

When Sonja walked in, Molly was curled up on the couch, wrapped in blankets, with a damp washcloth on her forehead to soothe her fever. Sonja was actually impressed with how well Kasper had done in getting her to rest so far. Maybe she had underestimated him after all.

“Sonja.” Molly said as she walked over. The very fact that the girl didn’t squeal and run to her was an indication that she wasn’t feeling well. Poor thing.

Sonja sat down as Molly made room for her. “Hey sweetheart, how are you feeling?” she put her hand to Molly’s forehead, testing her temperature, which did not seem to have gone down any.

“Okay,” Molly answered, then coughed. She didn’t appear to be congested in the least (which was more than Sonja could say for a certain other party), but her voice was very scratchy, and she swallowed as if her throat was troubling her.

“Did you come to watch a movie with me, Sonja?” the girl asked hopefully.

“Yup…” Sonja said, and snuck a small glance at Kasper, who was still by the door, hands in his pockets, looking away. “…And I brought some special get-well presents, too.” She pulled out the coloring books, which Molly beamed at, and the medicine, at which she promptly frowned in disgust.

“I don’t need medicine!” Molly whined. “I’m fiiiiine!” Sonja grimaced. Oh, how you take after your uncle…

“Molly, everyone takes medicine when they don’t feel good…even grownups.” Sonja shot another pointed glance at Kasper, whose shoulders tensed considerably.

“Even you?” Molly asked. Sonja smiled as she poured the girl a small dose. “Even me” she answered. Molly seemed satisfied with this justification, and drank the medicine willingly, though she pulled quite a face afterward.

“Now…” Sonja said, turning toward the shelf of dvds that sat next to the television. “What movie did you want to watch?”

Molly’s brow furrowed with the extreme weight of the decision at hand. “…Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!” she exclaimed suddenly and with resolution. Sonja raised an eyebrow, and looked at Kasper once more. This time he reluctantly met her gaze, sharing with her an amused grin.

“Okay, Ninja Turtles it is. Do you like chicken-noodle soup?” Molly nodded.

“Well, I brought some with me. So I’ll just get us a couple of bowls and then we can start the movie.” Sonja made to get up from the couch, but Kasper’s voice stopped her.

“I’ll gedt themb.” he said, and disappeared into the kitchen, retuning shortly with a pair of bowls and two spoons.

“Here” he set them down on the coffee table, and returned to his spot near the front door. Sonja sighed a ‘thank you’ and began pouring the soup, but Molly looked put out.

“Where’s your bowl?” she asked him.

Kasper looked back at her. “I’m nodt hungry” he answered shortly.

Molly crossed her arms. “That’s not good manners, Uncle Kas. Sonja made this special for us.” Sonja, meanwhile, could not contain her smile. She watched as Kasper clenched his jaw, knowing already that his was a losing battle.

“Ugh, finde!” he said and stalked off, returning with another bowl and spoon.

Sonja poured the soup as Kasper grudgingly flopped on the couch beside Molly. He received his bowl with a low and highly reluctant ‘thanks’, but Sonja caught the tense lines in his face relax a bit as he felt the warmth from the bowl spread through his hands. When Molly had her bowl as well, Sonja got up and started the movie. Sitting back down, Sonja was immensely thankful that Molly had ended up between she and Kasper; she knew she would’ve been a hot mess if it had been the other way around.

“This is goooood!” Molly sang as she slurped her soup. Sonja smiled; she looked over Molly’s head, and was satisfied to see that Kasper also seemed to be enjoying it, though wordlessly. He seemed to be letting himself unwind, little by little, sinking deeper into the couch in slow, steady increments. That is, until his nose caught up with the steam…

“hg’nihTCHUuu! ... He was forced to sneeze openly into his shoulder, since he needed both hands to steady the soup bowl in his lap.

...hahg’TCHUuu! ...nnnngh…”

“Bless you, Uncle Kas” said Molly obliviously.

“Bless you” Sonja added. She glanced at the box of tissues she had left on the coffee table, wondering if they would actually get used. But no, Kasper chose instead to settle for another long, ridiculous, liquid-filled sniff.

Oh well, you can’t win em’ all, Sonja thought, and turned back to the movie, using her peripheral vision to keep tabs on the man who, even while sick, grumpy, and stubborn beyond belief, was still managing to make her heart palpitate and her body tremble…

<3 (ugg, that's really not a good place to end, but I'll be back sooon!!)

Here's the second part of the chap I promised. Thanks so much for your support everyone!!!!! Love ya! (now, schleeep...)

Part Nine

“Donatello’s the best…”

“Oh, combe on ndow. Leondardo is waaay cooler…”

Sonja smiled to herself. They were about halfway into the movie, and this lighthearted bickering had been in the background for nearly all of it. Sonja marveled yet again at how incredibly similar Kasper and his niece were to each other. It was somehow all the more endearing that neither of them seemed to realize it.

And then (yet again), Sonja felt her eyes drift toward Kasper. He seemed to have relaxed considerably during the movie’s progression, and this had had a tremendous affect on his disposition. She caught him grinning at the silly things in the movie on more than one occasion. It was a nice change from the normal calculated arrogance she was used to seeing…

Sonja snapped out of her internal musings only to find Molly staring up at her with puppy-dog eyes.

“Will you braid my hair?” she asked. “Mommy always does when I don’t feel good” Sonja smiled.

“Sure,” she said, patting her lap. “Come on over.”

“No,” said Molly. “We can see the movie better if you come over here.” Over there… next to Kasper…

…goddamn it.

“Um…” Sonja faltered, trying to keep from blushing. She took a quick peek at Kasper’s reaction, but he simply stared straight ahead, apparently unaffected. How so like a man.

“…alright then” Molly got up so Sonja could take her place beside Kasper, then sat on her lap. Barely breathing, Sonja gathered the little girl’s hair in her hands and tried not to think about the muscular thigh that rested not an inch away from her own… She tried not to think about the scents that permeated her nostrils; that foreign, woodsy aroma that hung at the forefront, only lightly masking another, more elusive smell: primitive and so unreservedly male… She tried not to think about the quiet breathing she could hear beside her, made thick with fatigue and congestion…

“Ow, you’re pulling” Molly complained.

“Sorry,” Sonja said, and loosened her grip. She felt Kasper’s eyes on her, but didn’t have the courage to meet his gaze. She kept her eyes trained on Molly’s thick, wavy chestnut hair -- which was so similar to his…

Just then, she felt the weight shift on the cushion underneath her, and a split-second later, they were...touching. Just barely, sure, but enough that Sonja could feel the heat from his body diffusing out of his jean-clad thigh into her corduroy-covered one. She gasped softly, and put every ounce of her concentration into not exploding on the spot. Finally, she dragged her eyes up to his face, only to find him looking right back into her eyes. His expression was unreadable; complex and convoluted to the highest degree, but significant, nonetheless, and, though Sonja was sure it must have been wishful thinking, she thought she saw in those pale blue eyes something like...

As quick as the moment had come, it passed. Kasper abruptly turned back toward the TV, but Sonja thought she saw for an instant, the smallest of smiles play coyly on his lips.

---

The movie was nearly over, and how Sonja managed to get through it without melting into a puddle of hot, steaming goo was a mystery best left to the gods. It was all because of that look. Sonja could think of nothing else for the rest of the movie; she barely noticed when Molly slid off her lap and curled up against her other side. She hadn’t been able to bring herself to take even the smallest of peeks at Kasper now; for fear that she’d find those eyes staring back at her again, with that look that had cruelly ignited in her an awful, jabbing feeling of hope. Of maybe. And it was killing Sonja because she knew that hope was doomed right from the get-go, for all too many reasons.

Sonja surfaced from her inner turmoil to realize that the breathing to her left had slowed and steadied: Molly had fallen asleep. Well, that’s good. The more sleep the little girl got the better. But then, Sonja realized something else: the breathing to her right had steadied also. He…oh…

He had fallen asleep as well.

Sonja froze, listening to the long, low, almost-snores, which crackled from the congestion in his lungs. It was like laying in bed that tortuous first night, only amplified this time by about a million because now not only did Sonja have to listen to those breaths, she could feel them as well, each slightly-labored intake, each shuddering exhale passing through him into her like a douse of freezing water. Sonja found she couldn’t help herself any longer; she needed to look at him.

It was…completely overwhelming. Like drowning, almost. Sonja found she had fight for breath as she looked over through the grey darkness at Kasper’s sleeping form. He just looked so vulnerable. And so very worn. No that he wasn't awake to fight back his symptoms, Sonja found the truth of the state of Kasper's health in his unconscious expression and posture. He was slumped, head resting heavy against the back of the couch, shaggy bangs half-pulled back from his forehead. His mouth was opened slightly in order to breathe since his nose, apart from being rubbed raw, had pretty much been rendered useless. His thick dark lashes fell against skin that was too pale…his brow was creased slightly, as though he was unable to fully relax even while asleep. Droplets of sweat edged around his hairline, and the muscles around his eyes twitched as he gave way to an unconscious shiver, followed by a small but ominous cough....

Sonja suddenly became aware of just how warm the warmth that was emanating from Kasper’s slacken body really was. It felt unnatural. Feverish. Sonja longed to place her hand on his forehead as she had done with Sonja, if only to soothe that upsetting crease in his brow. Her hand, then her cheek, and finally, her lips…

Dizzily, Sonja watched as Kasper’s furrow deepened further, his nose beginning to twitch as well…

“hng’TCHEUuu!!”

A spasm of white-hot fire rocketed through Sonja’s body as she watched (and felt!) Kasper’s body suddenly convulse forward, his hand shooting toward his face reflexively to catch the blasted sneeze that had shaken him from his sleep. “nnnghuh…” he groaned and shivered, all the while still lost in a half-asleep daze.

“bless you” Sonja heard herself breath, though she couldn’t really believe it.

Kasper looked her, confused, the sleep just beginning to clear itself from his eyes, before he was pulled forward with yet another barrage:

“huhh…hG’TCHUuuh!! Eh’KSHUU!! G’TCHUu!...huhh!......h’KTSH-uu! He finally regained enough consciousness to at least attempt to stifle the last one: to little effect. He sniffed miserably into his palm, and then was overcome with a fit of coughs, which he struggled to cut short.

And, against her better judgment Sonja allowed a timid hand to reach out toward his struggling frame. She let it rest not his forehead, but his shoulder. It was safer that way. But perhaps, Sonja thought as she felt Kasper tense immediately under her touch, still not safe enough.

“I’mb …finde.” Kasper managed to choke out through the last few coughs that wracked his body.

“No, Kasper, you’re sick” Sonja said as carefully as she could.

“I said I’mb finde.” Kasper snarled back, shrugging away from Sonja’s touch. The sharp anger in his voice was enough to bring tears to Sonja’s eyes, but she wouldn’t back down.

“Kasper, please listen to me. You need to-”

“I thingk you should leave ndow” the words came like a slap, ice-cold, just barely above a whisper. And then, before Sonja could react, Kasper rose stiffly and gathered the now dead-asleep Molly in his arms. He turned toward the stairs without even a side-glance in her direction. As he began to climb the staircase, Sonja tried one last time to redeem herself:

“Kasper-”

“lockg the door on your way oudt” he interrupted harshly without turning around. And, without another word, Kasper carried Molly up the stairs, leaving Sonja alone, tears stinging at the corners of her eyes.

He had left her only one option, and so, swallowing back the thick coating of sorrow that was building in her throat, Sonja left the apartment.

---

There was nothing for her to do but climb into bed and wait. The guttural throb of dejection hit her in waves, pulling silent tears from her eyes one at a time. But still she clung to the anticipation of waiting for Kasper to go to bed as well, in the crazy hopes that something, an apology, or anything!, could still take place to fix this terrible, wrenching feeling she was left with. Even if nothing happened, it would still be a relief, to hear his sounds, to know that he was close…

So she waited, vicious, quiet tremors shaking her body, pleading, hoping…she waited for what felt like an eternity, but in the end, it was all for not.

That night, Kasper never went to bed.

<3 (sorry bout the sad end spot. Kasper's such a jerk, huh? And to think, I had originally planned for him to be a kind and charming gentleman! I guess that's out the window! :wacko: )

( ...oh, and if you were wondering, Sammy was upstairs in his crib the whole time!)

Awwww... I feel bad for Sonja. :wacko:

I'm still doubting how much of a Jerk Kasper really is. :laugh: . Awesome updates! I <3 Molly. She's so sweet. *goes awwwww*

Still very much addicted to your story. :)

Archived