Sneeze Fetish Forum

Most Overrated Movies.

resolution

Mentioned this last night in real life, and realized I hadn't put it here: Tropic Thunder. When it first came out, I thought it looked pretty stupid, but then it got rave reviews, so I figured I must be missing something. Still, I didn't see it until I fell in love with Robert Downey, Jr. last year. So, a movie that got great reviews, something very much in line with my taste in humor (satire), and starring my boy-of-the-moment: a can't-miss, right? Nope. I thought it was good, but that was all. Not amazing, not great, just good. Maybe even only decent. And yet, I honestly believe that if I'd come to it with no preconceptions of its greatness, I would have liked it a lot more. So yeah: I would call Tropic Thunder a very, very overrated movie.

(But I still love the t-shirt my stepsister got me for my birthday last year: "I'm a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude!" :dead:)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a bit pointless for me to post in this topic because I'm SO fussy about movies it'd take me forever to list the ones that failed to impress me. Suffice to say this list would include a heck of a lot of chick flicks, CGI blockbusters, "comedies", and even things people consider classics.

But I saw someone say "Mean Girls" and I just...gah. I know someone who LOVES this movie and considers it "the most quotable movie of all time". As a result, I know a whole bunch of quotes from the thing despite never having seen it in full (though I tried twice to sit through it). Because, here's the thing...the quotes that get spouted from the movie only make sense if you've seen the movie and that doesn't make it "the most quotable movie of all time to me".

I mean "Four for Glen Coco. You go, Glen Coco!"...what does that even MEAN? o_O I don't know, yet I've had the quote spouted at me so much I'll never forget it. And someone starts quoting it and then a bunch of people join in and...meh.

Tina Fey was in it though, and she's cool...but even if I like an actor/actress, I can't watch a movie for just them.

And for the record, The Princess Bride is the most quotable movie of all time! :P

The Social Network.

Kick Ass.

Toy Story 3.

Shutter Island.

The Lovely Bones.

Titanic.

Twilight.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Alice in Wonderland.

Iron Man 2.

Clash of the Titans.

Inception.

Precious.

*sniffs* I can already smell the mob of angry fangirls coming for me. ;)

I hope you mean the remake of Alice in Wonderland :unsure:

not this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA1QJMtJ6_A...feature=related

Lord of the Rings...

*thumbs up* Amen. I even heard they made books of them! Talk about hype. :zippy:

I think the books came out about 60 years before the movie. Come on, it's a mainstream 21st century movie, you knew the idea wasn't new :laugh:

What? 60 years? You're shitting me?

Naaw. Sorry. Enough joking. I think it was 50 years, rather. It came out 1955, if I remember it correctly, and the first film around 2000? ... It's all fussy, I was eight when I read them the first time, after all. *flirt* You need to appreciate my humour! *poketypoke*

Ah o.k.

online sarcasm can be tricky to decipher...or maybe i just need to get to know you better. :laugh:

• 1 month later...

Can I add a TV series?

The 2009 version of "V".

It's not bad, but... the original was a lot better. Sure, the special effects are better now than in the early to mid 80's, but... the characters are boring and nothing really happens. Plus, there can never be a better villain than Diana (Jane Badler).

• 6 months later...

I'm not very good a playing games... so I wrote this comment! I know... I suck! ^_^

-----------------------------------

Personally I'd say that there is a huge gap between a 'good' movie and an 'excellent' movie.

I read a lot of you replies and in one way I totally agree and in another I totaly disagree.

A good moive is something you can watch. The purpose it serves is not to be a mind blowing, insightful, epic, masterful, revelation causing peice of art that leaves a scar on your heart for all eternity, it is simply a movie that allows for the passage of time in pleasurable way. It only has to keep your intrest and distract you from realtiy. A good movie must be entertaining, and the true test of a good movie is your desire to see it again.

An excellent movie is essecntially all the things a good movie does not have to be. An excellent movie must do what a good movie does, excite, intrigue, captivate, but it must also enter your mind and move your heart in a way the is unforgettable and remarkable. It must trick you into feeling that what you've just seen is very real and for some people they will wish it were simply for the fact that it touch them so deeply. It must encapsulate your mind, your heart and you sences for a moment and tell them something they didn't know before, or show them something they weren't expecting to see. This makes an excellent movie, and in fact excellent movies arn't judged by how many times you watch them, but by how much a person remembers them once they've seen it.

I haven't seen that many excellent movies in my life let alone the resent years. So I'd say most if not all movies are 'overhipped' a bit at the moment. But I also agree there are suprisingly fewer good movies as well. Huh... A lot of the movies listed I personally think are good movies(a lot are sucky movies too!), but none of them are trully excellent movies.

In fact... I think a fully excellent movie is rare. Many movies have excellent moments or scenes that can never be forgotten but a trully excellent movie in realtiy is relative to the person that watched it.

--------

Sorry for the lame comment... I just really wanted to say that... I feel better now. ^_^

-------------------------

The Social Network.

Kick Ass.

Toy Story 3.

Shutter Island.

The Lovely Bones.

Titanic.

Twilight.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

Alice in Wonderland.

Iron Man 2.

Clash of the Titans.

Inception.

Precious.

*sniffs* I can already smell the mob of angry fangirls coming for me. <_<

Minus Social Network (which I love <3), I totally agree. Especially about Twilight and Inception. I hate Twilight, and while Inception is cool, I just don't understand why people like it *so* *much*.

Man oh man!

Finally I find another person on this planet who has not only seen it, but also liked it, I thought I was the only one :unsure:

(sorry for just leaving the topic, I got carried away :blushing:)

Avatar and Twilight. Fuck those mega-hypes. REALLY.

for the record: the most quotable film ever made in the history of mankind is and always will be The Breakfast Club. So there. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Avatar: The previews were enough to turn me off.

Inception: It was a real let down from what I expected. :drool:

Titanic: The movie is okay, but I can't sit through the whole thing. I just can't!

Anything with Michael Cera in it. Or anything about teenage relationships where the main thing is sex or "getting laid". Or ANY movie that drops an F bomb every 5 minutes.

The Tourist: Johnny and Angie. In my mind: They are gonna have such great chemistry!! On screen:........oh, you actually love each other!?!

Atonement

Black Swan

That one movie with Jamie Foxx as a mentally ill cello player and Robert Downey Jr. as a reporter? SUCKED!!! No heartfelt emotion AT ALL.

Forrest Gump

Sleeping with the Enemy (UGH *blortch*)

Enough

The Notebook

Corrina, Corrina

Sleepless in Seattle

Ghost

(and probably so many more...

That one movie with Jamie Foxx as a mentally ill cello player and Robert Downey Jr. as a reporter? SUCKED!!! No heartfelt emotion AT ALL.

It's called The Soloist. (And I think it's amazing. B( When you say no emotion... do you mean the acting? *curious* Or just the overall tone of the movie?)

It's called The Soloist. (And I think it's amazing. :laugh: When you say no emotion... do you mean the acting? *curious* Or just the overall tone of the movie?)

Ah, that's the name! *was to lazy to google it last night B(* I do agree that the acting was sincere, but I was expecting the whole movie to be memorable. It just wasn't to me, and my expectations were so high that I guess I found it to be disappointing. I mean, RDJ and Foxx? And the story outlne? I really thought 'Award Status' when I saw the previews. But, I guess I set my expectations a bit to high. (I tend to do that.....a lot...)XD

Mentioned this last night in real life, and realized I hadn't put it here: Tropic Thunder. When it first came out, I thought it looked pretty stupid, but then it got rave reviews, so I figured I must be missing something. Still, I didn't see it until I fell in love with Robert Downey, Jr. last year. So, a movie that got great reviews, something very much in line with my taste in humor (satire), and starring my boy-of-the-moment: a can't-miss, right? Nope. I thought it was good, but that was all. Not amazing, not great, just good. Maybe even only decent. And yet, I honestly believe that if I'd come to it with no preconceptions of its greatness, I would have liked it a lot more. So yeah: I would call Tropic Thunder a very, very overrated movie.

I agree!

I was so excited when I was able to convince my husband and some friends of ours to watch this movie one night. Yeah, we ended up turning it off after an hour. I had heard all kinds of wonderful things about it, and even Tom Cruise's character, and Robert Downey Jr. couldn't save this movie in my opinion. Plus, even though I don't hate Jack Black, there is just something about him that annoys me. Like, he plays the same character in almost every movie he makes. He's Jack Black playing himself. And so, I didn't find this movie to be what everyone raved about. Wasn't even that funny.

• 1 year later...

Twilight, hands down. They're entertaining if you watch them without thinking about the message. Other than that - why, why, WHY did they become so popular? blinksmiley.gif

• 4 months later...

Because of the way I approach criticism, I usually try to rethink my opinions of anything truly revered, but on a less extreme note, I am genuinely amazed that the Tim Burton "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" remake has actually _fans_ that genuinely think it's a _good movie_. Worse, they usually cite arguments about it being 'closer to the book', and as someone who's actually read Dahl's novel in my adult life (don't laugh), it's a MUCH greater deviation from the novel than the first movie was. If you like it, fine, I guess (it does have some talented actors in it, and Johnny Depp's performance was...interesting, I'll give it that much), but don't use the 'closer to the book' argument based on memories of a book I can only assume most of those making that argument hadn't read since they were kids.

I also think the Disney "Peter Pan" movie gets treated as more of a classic than it really is. I get why it's entertaining, especially to small children, but it's a pretty shallow treatment of the whole Peter Pan mythos, treating it like just another fairy tale and excising most of the bittersweetness. Give me the Mary Martin video version over it any day.

I hope I don't wind up regretting expressing an opinion again, but this seemed a pretty safe way to dip my toe into the water, since this isn't the Pit and other people have made WAY more controversial statements on this thread than me. Well, here's hoping!

they usually cite arguments about it being 'closer to the book', and as someone who's actually read Dahl's novel in my adult life (don't laugh), it's a MUCH greater deviation from the novel than the first movie was.

I couldn't agree more! The original with Gene Wilder is one of my favourite films of all time, so I was super excited when I heard they were doing a remake, especially with Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham-Carter. How disapppinted I was!

My problem with this film, I think, is that we have been spoiled by the original. If the original had never been made, then it would probably be seen as a wonderful film, but the comparison is there, and it just doesn't amount to the original.

Also, the only way that the Tim Burton remake is "more like the book" is because Charlie's Dad is on it - that is the only more accurate thing.

(also, don't be ashamed of reading the book in your adult life - I have read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, George's Marvellous Medicine, Fantastic Mister Fox and The Witches this year :P )

More over rated films:

Jumper - it looked so good! I went to the cinema to see it, and I don't think I've been as disappointed by a film ever.

Lesbian Vampire Killers - everyone raved about it... it really is as good as it sounds.

Final Destination - all of them except the first one (and maybe the second one is ok). If you've seen the first one there is no need to see the other 473875 films. They are exactly the same.

The Grudge - meant to be the scariest film ever? I laughed all the way through. I found the Tartan Asian Extreme version much scarier, despite it being in Japanese with no subtitles.

The Descent 2 - I'm ashamed to admit that I quite enjoyed the first one. Seriously, the second one is "I escaped... but I don't remember what happened... let's go back and find out" and everything that happens in the first one happens again <_<

Notting Hill... I am not really the target market for romantic comedies in general, and I really don't go for Richard Curtis movies.

I think Love Actually is much worse, but this thread is about 'overrated' movies, and I'm not sure if Love Actually is all that highly rated?

Twilight!!!!!!

Most overrated movie series/book series of all time. That and Fifty Shades of Gray (or Grey, I'm never sure of how it's spelled). Ugh! I tried reading the first Twilight book and HATED it. It remains unfinished to this day.

Avatar was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen (my friend called it "phenomenal". Excuse me but wallbash.gif [inserts quote from Princess Bride: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."] My parents were making fun of Avatar the entire time, so I was laughing hysterically by the end of the movie.

I also don't understand why everyone made such a big deal out of Les Misérables (the one that came out in January 2013). Yeah, it was good, and Anne Hathaway is a really good singer, but it's certainly not the best version out there.

However, I'm gonna have to disagree with Star Wars. For what it's worth, it's pretty good.starwars.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I pretty much agree with all that have been mentioned.

For me, the most overhyped movie is The Notebook (I know, everybody is supposed to love that movie :P) Seriously, the book was pretty good, but the movie just didn't impress me.

Twilight!!!!!!

Most overrated movie series/book series of all time. That and Fifty Shades of Gray (or Grey, I'm never sure of how it's spelled). Ugh! I tried reading the first Twilight book and HATED it. It remains unfinished to this day.

Avatar was one of the most overrated movies I've ever seen (my friend called it "phenomenal". Excuse me but wallbash.gif [inserts quote from Princess Bride: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."] My parents were making fun of Avatar the entire time, so I was laughing hysterically by the end of the movie.

I also don't understand why everyone made such a big deal out of Les Misérables (the one that came out in January 2013). Yeah, it was good, and Anne Hathaway is a really good singer, but it's certainly not the best version out there.

However, I'm gonna have to disagree with Star Wars. For what it's worth, it's pretty good.starwars.gif

Gray with an A in America, Grey with an E in England (looked this up a while back :P).

I thought Star Wars was awesome and that Les Miserables was awesome, too. Then again, I don't watch very many movies. dry.png

American Hustle? It came out quite recently, so I don't know if too many people have seen it, but it has been getting rave reviews. Without getting into any details, the acting was good, but the movie is long and boring... I am not the intended audience (I was the youngest person in the theater and had no knowledge of the events depicted (Abscam)), which I'm definitely sure is one reason why I didn't enjoy it, but my dad was saying that reviews were predicting it to 'revolutionize the way you view cinema.' It doesn't, and he didn't think so either!

Okay, I personally love Titanic, but that's just me. I would say most of the comedies that have come out recently. You know, the Will Ferrell/Seth Rogen/Ben Stiller type comedies. They're just not funny and I don't get why everyone loves them so much.

To be fair, the Three Stooges was a vastly popular comedy, and I couldn't find them anymore stupid if I tried.

It all depends on what kind of comedy you like.

Here are some movies that I think are overrated:

'Brides Maids' - I thought the humor wasn't very humorous at all...it was disturbing. I watched it with my friends and they were laughing their heads off while in the movie they were, I'll keep this pg, pooping in the sink. I just don't find what's so funny about that!

The Notebook - I feel asleep during this movie. I found it was really slow and just plain boring. I guess I'm not into a lot of chick flicks, but I don't understand how this movie makes people cry. I cry really easily in movies and tv shows, even movies where nobody else cries. I just didn't cry in this movie! It was just not my cup of tea.

The Hunger Games - I am going to get a lot of crap for this, but I found the first movie boring and overrated. I didn't understand what's so fantastic about this movie. The acting was just okay in my opinion and I couldn't stick with it. I heard the second movie is better, but I don't even want to waste my time watching it.

Sorry if I seemed cruel; I'm just saying what I think is overrated! :)

For me, my number one choice for most overrated movie would have to be "The Devil Inside." Most lame excuse for a horror film I've ever seen. It wasn't scary at all (a couple of my friends actually fell asleep in the theater while watching it), it was only 1.5 hours long (which is the shortest theater film I've seen so far), and the ending was a huge disappointment. It definitely did not live up to the hype.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit pointless for me to post in this topic because I'm SO fussy about movies it'd take me forever to list the ones that failed to impress me. Suffice to say this list would include a heck of a lot of chick flicks, CGI blockbusters, "comedies", and even things people consider classics.

But I saw someone say "Mean Girls" and I just...gah. I know someone who LOVES this movie and considers it "the most quotable movie of all time". As a result, I know a whole bunch of quotes from the thing despite never having seen it in full (though I tried twice to sit through it). Because, here's the thing...the quotes that get spouted from the movie only make sense if you've seen the movie and that doesn't make it "the most quotable movie of all time to me".

I mean "Four for Glen Coco. You go, Glen Coco!"...what does that even MEAN? o_O I don't know, yet I've had the quote spouted at me so much I'll never forget it. And someone starts quoting it and then a bunch of people join in and...meh.

Tina Fey was in it though, and she's cool...but even if I like an actor/actress, I can't watch a movie for just them.

And for the record, The Princess Bride is the most quotable movie of all time! laughing.gif

oh my god thank you

Archived