Sneeze Fetish Forum

SFF Quiz 2015! (winners revealed on page 7!)

Joal 555

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*wants a teammate :v*

If anybody would like to partner Luigi, please post below.

Otherwise, you are more than welcome to take part by yourself, as many others are doing.

Anyway, either way, I have you on the list!

I am going to make myself look like a fool again, but hell, why not? Count me in. :)

We now have 24 entrants to the quiz - the 18 listed further up, plus the following 6:

• Daisoku
  • Superman
  • spirit and Koda
  • Luigi the Magical Kitsune
  • Sophie83540
  • Sawdust

You should all have received a PM thread by now which you should use to supply your answers each week. Please let me know if you haven't received one. There is still time for other people to join in! The quiz starts tomorrow (8 February), so if you would like to take part, please comment below and I will send you the same PM that the others already have.

See you tomorrow for the double round premiere!

:joal:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I hereby declare the SFF Quiz 2015 open for business!

But first some important points!

1. Firstly, remember that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s have a fair contest!

2. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 14 February. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you all have until at least midnight on Friday 13 February, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

3. I will also accept answers up to the above deadline from people who haven’t previously registered an interest, so it’s not too late to get involved. Please send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s 2015 answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category.

Ok, let the games commence!

Round 1 – Common misconceptions

The answers to most of these questions are not what you might first think!

But beware, at least one answer is the obvious one!

1. How many years did the hundred years war between England and France last?

2. The lead in a pencil is made of what?

Lead

Graftonite

Graphite

Silicon

3. What is (American President) George W Bush's middle initial?

A

B

G

W

4. What was (British) King George VI's first name?

Frederick

Albert

George

Arthur

5. In which month do Russians celebrate the October Revolution?

September

October

November

December

6. In which country was India Ink invented?

Germany

India

Thailand

China

7. What kind of creature is a titmouse?

Bird

Gerbil

Hamster

Mouse

8. In which country were Panama hats first made?

Ecuador

Panama

Mexico

El Salvador

9. In which country was the game of Chinese Checkers invented?

Germany

India

Thailand

China

10. From what animal is catgut usually made?

Dog

Sheep

Rabbit

Cat

Joal's vocaroo bonus

11. Answer the question in the following link http://vocaroo.com/i/s0CJzhykhHDd

(See below for round 2)

(see above for round 1)

Round 2 – Celebrities

1. Which rock star was Jennifer Lawrence rumoured to have been dating in 2014?

Adam Levine

Chris Martin

Dave Grohl

Fabrizio Moretti

2. What is the first name of David and Victoria Beckham's first child?

Brooklyn

Harper

Cruz

Romeo

3. Which One Direction member is Ed Sheeran's "Don't" allegedly about?

Niall Horan

Harry Styles

Zayn Malik

Louis Tomlinson

4. Which famous Hitchcock leading lady is the mother of Jamie Lee Curtis?

Jayne Mansfield

Judy Garland

Grace Kelly

Janet Leigh

5. Which Girls Aloud singer was married to footballer Ashley Cole?

Kimberley Walsh

Cheryl Tweedy

Nicola Roberts

Sarah Harding

6. Who is the youngest Kardashian?

Kourtney

Khloe

Robert

Kim

7. What is Elton John's middle name?

Adonis

Apollo

Atlas

Hercules

8. Which comedian officiated at Adam Levine's wedding?

Seth Rogen

Jason Segel

Jonah Hill

Michael Cera

9. What is the name of Bob Geldof's eldest daughter?

Peaches

Pixie

Fifi Trixibelle

Tiger Lily

10. Who is Calvin Broadus better known as?

Snoop Dogg

Lil Wayne

Jay-Z

Dr. Dre

Joal's vocaroo bonus

11. Answer the question in the following link http://vocaroo.com/i/s17XhNC80Cks

Good luck everyone!

I have a question (which didn't come to my mind until now).

Would checking what a game or an animal/plant/what ever species (for example) is called in my first language be considered cheating?

Would checking what a game or an animal/plant/what ever species (for example) is called in my first language be considered cheating?

That's a good question and one I hadn't previously thought of! I hope the following ruling will be considered fair by everyone:

Additional quiz rule

Anyone for whom English is not their first language may PM me and ask if they may look up the translation (but not the meaning) of a specific word (or words) into their native language. I will then decide whether or not I think they will be gaining an unfair advantage by knowing the translation of that word and will PM back accordingly.

I hope it's not like QI and we get minus points if we answer with the obvious one...

Bob Gedolf has seriously the shittiest taste in names ever. He should have had his baby-naming rights revoked. :lol:

Are rounds one and two due by next Saturday? Or just one?

Yes, both the first two rounds are due by the time I post the answers on Saturday 14 February. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 13 February, whichever time zone you are in.

(PS - if anyone is more than 8 hours behind the UK, let me know, but I don't think anybody is)

Bob Gedolf has seriously the shittiest taste in names ever. He should have had his baby-naming rights revoked. heh.gif

I don't know, Frank Zappa might have him beat. If not on worst taste, than at least on weirdest.

Bob Gedolf has seriously the shittiest taste in names ever. He should have had his baby-naming rights revoked. heh.gif

I don't know, Frank Zappa might have him beat. If not on worst taste, than at least on weirdest.

Weirdest for sure, but Dweezil has a nice ring to it tonguesmiley.gif

I hope it's not like QI and we get minus points if we answer with the obvious one...

I'm fully expecting Joal to klaxon us if we get some of these wrongtoot.gif:lol:

Midweek reminder for rounds 1 and 2

So far I have received 9 sets of answers, so I'm expecting my in box to be flooded over the next couple of days! :P

Just a reminder that the deadline for the first two rounds is 8am Saturday (UK time), or a little later if l don't post the answers precisely at that time, but don't risk it! That means you should have until at least midnight Friday night, whatever time zone you are in.

Please let me have your answers by PM before then.

Thank you!

glasses.gif

Although I will probably do a midweek reminder each week, as a "one off" for the first week, I thought I would also do a final reminder for rounds 1 and 2.

I now have 18 sets of answers, so there are 6 procrastinators out there and you only have about 9 hours to go! :P

Thank you to everyone for taking part - there were 22 entrants to the first two rounds, so without further ado..................

Answers to round 1

1. 116

2. Graphite (this had the most correct answers, with all 22 getting it right)

3. W

4. Albert

5. November

6. China

7. Bird

8. Ecuador

9. Germany (ignoring the bonus, this had the fewest correct answers, with only 8 getting it right)

10. Sheep

11. Stephen Fry

Answers to round 2

1. Chris Martin

2. Brooklyn

3. Niall Horan

4. Janet Leigh

5. Cheryl Tweedy

6. Robert

7. Hercules

8. Jonah Hill (ignoring the bonus, this had the fewest correct answers, with only 4 getting it right)

9. Fifi Trixibelle

10. Snoop Dogg (this had the most correct answers, with 16 getting it right)

11. Taylor Swift

The scores

Bonus questions

Any bonus points will be hard earned this year - only one person recognised Stephen Fry, so well done to Rachiella44, and nobody at all identified Taylor Swift!

Round 1

The average score for round 1 was a very respectable 6.86 and I can now reveal that the joint winners of the Common Misconceptions round are:

Bruyere

and

Dusty15 and Enkidom

Round 2

This proved to be a really tough round for many and the average score was 4.95, which is the lowest average out of all 9 rounds to date (including last year). Despite this there were some good scores achieved, not least by the winners of the Celebrities round, who are:

PortlandLove and PuddinPop

Unlike last year, I won't be routinely sending anyone their personal scores until the end of the quiz. In the meantime, you should be able to work out your own score, but if you would like official confirmation, then please PM me.

Congratulations to this week's winners, and for everyone else, your chance to fight back starts tomorrow, when round 3 will commence!

:joal:

Welcome to round 3 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2015!

First, the usual reminders!

1. You can still have a go at round 3 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Another reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s continue to have a fair contest!

3. Anyone for whom English is not their first language may PM me and ask if they may look up the translation (but not the meaning) of a specific word (or words) into their native language. I will then decide whether or not I think they will be gaining an unfair advantage by knowing the translation of that word and will PM back accordingly.

4. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 21 February. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you all have until at least midnight on Friday 20 February, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, if you are ready, it's question time!

Round 3 – Animals

1. Roe, Fallow and Sika are all kinds of what animal?

Otter

Moose

Antelope

Deer

2. Arboreal animals are those living in which type of habitat?

Amongst trees

In the desert

In a warm climate

In water

3. Which animal makes a sound called nuzzing?

Llama

Giraffe

Camel

Zebra

4. Collective nouns - a group of which birds is known as an "unkindness of __________"?

Falcons

Ravens

Hawks

Cuckoos

5. What type of creature is a lumpsucker?

Bird

Fish

Rodent

Bat

6. In terms of canine achievement why is Laika chiefly remembered?

It recorded the fastest speed ever for a dog

It was the first dog in space

It gave birth to a record number of puppies

It was the oldest dog ever

7. What is a female donkey called?

Jenny

Julie

Jill

Jackie

8. In the wild, which animal pollinates banana plants?

Bats

Bees

Beetles

Ants

9. What animal do Eskimos call a nanook?

Seal

Penguin

Polar Bear

Walrus

10. How many teeth does an adult dog normally have?

Joal's vocaroo bonus

11. Answer the question in the following link http://vocaroo.com/i/s0qWgNZ6HFJK

Have fun!

Damn you Germany.... And I feel terrible ashamed for not having recognized the great and wonderful Fry.

Also, can I petition that Dusty and Dom get some kind of handicap next year? tonguesmiley.gif Because otherwise they are just going to steamroll us all to eternity.

ETA: Aw, Joan! XD

Listen, Jorm….we're just strategic. It's the Trans-Atlantic advantage. You need a Brit and a North American to be successful on this quiz, I feel…. but I also play pub trivia weekly so… wink.png

Edit to add that I'm also ashamed for not identifying Mr. Fry. I heard "Amelia" instead of "a maniac" and figured it had to be Doctor Who (knowing Joal!)

Archived