Sneeze Fetish Forum

SFF Quiz 2015! (winners revealed on page 7!)

Joal 555

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard "Amelia" instead of "a maniac" and figured it had to be Doctor Who (knowing Joal!)

I rather wish that had been a deliberate ploy on my part to fool everyone :P (spoiler - it wasn't)

Quite a few people guessed Doctor Who or Matt Smith, so you weren't alone!

:joal:

Midweek reminder for round 3

This week I have only received 6 sets of answers so far ( :o ) , so once again, I'm braced for a deluge of PMs over the next couple of days! tonguesmiley.gif

The deadline for round 3 is 8am Saturday (UK time), or a little later if l don't post the answers precisely at that time, but don't risk it! That means you should have until at least midnight Friday night, whatever time zone you are in.

Please let me have your answers before then.

Thank you!

glasses.gif

as a "one off" for the first week, I thought I would also do a final reminder for rounds 1 and 2.

Looks like I lied about the final reminder being a "one off" :P

I currently have 12 sets of answers for round 3, so there are 10 individuals or teams who might appreciate being reminded that they now have just over 10 hours to go!

I hope (expect?) to wake up to lots of marking!

Looks like I lied about the final reminder being a "one off" :P

I KNEW this was gonna happen :P

*continues to procrastinate*

Is there a prize for the team that consistently turns their answers in just moments before the deadline? :zippy:

There were 20 entrants this week, so thank you to everyone for taking part and here are the..................

Answers to round 3

1. Deer

2. Amongst trees (this had the most correct answers)

3. Camel

4. Ravens

5. Fish

6. It was the first dog in space

7. Jenny

8. Bats

9. Polar bear

10. 42 (this had the fewest correct answers) - presumably they are all canines :glare:

11. Hyena

The scores

Bonus question

Last week I said that "any bonus points will be hard earned this year"..........well, Joan is obviously more generous than I am, because no fewer than 9 entrants correctly identified the sound of a hyena - which is a bit galling for Stephen Fry and Taylor Swift :glare:

Winners of Round 3

The average score for round 3 was an excellent 7.30 which is the third best average out of the 10 rounds of the quiz held to date (including last year). The bonus point proved crucial in determining that the winners of the round were:

hankman and snufflebunny

You should be able to work out your own score, but if you would like official confirmation, then please PM me. Either way, at the end of the quiz, I will send you all your scores on a round by round basis.

I can also confirm that this year there will be separate awards for the best overall team and the best overall individual, so there's still all to play for with 4 rounds to go.

Tune in tomorrow for the start of round 4!

glasses.gif

Welcome to round 4 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2015!

First, the usual reminders!

1. You can still take part in round 4, even if you didn't compete in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Another reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s continue to have a fair contest!

3. Anyone for whom English is not their first language may PM me and ask if they may look up the translation (but not the meaning) of a specific word (or words) into their native language. I will then decide whether or not I think they will be gaining an unfair advantage by knowing the translation of that word and will PM back accordingly.

4. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 28 February. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you all have until at least midnight on Friday 27 February, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Right, let's see how well connected you are :glare:

Round 4 – Connections

Hint - read question 10 first!

1. Which type of dwelling gets its name from the literal translation of the French for "little house"?

Bungalow

Maisonette

Apartment

Cottage

2. The most solemn religious fast day of the Jewish year is known as "The Day Of _______"?

Repentance

Forgiveness

Atonement

Vows

3. What was Roy Orbison's first top 10 single in both the UK and the US?

Only The Lonely

I Drove All Night

Crying

Pretty Woman

4. Freetown is the capital of which country?

Jamaica

Sierra Leone

Costa Rica

South Africa

5. What was the nickname of the famous US Civil War Confederate General Thomas Jackson?

The GI General

Old Wooden Head

Old Mudwall

Stonewall

6. The world's 4th most populous country contains more than 3,000 islands extending from the Malaysian mainland towards Australia. What is its name?

Indonesia

The Phillipines

Papua New Guinea

Singapore

7. Which modern day musical instrument is most closely related to the 14th century "sackbut"?

Clarinet

Bassoon

Trombone

Oboe

8. What is the plant "woodbine" also known as?

Sycamore

Ivy

Mistletoe

Honeysuckle

9. Which male singing voice falls between tenor and bass?

Countertenor

Alto

Baritone

Contralto

10. What is the one connection between the correct answers to the above nine questions?

Joal's vocaroo bonus

11. Answer the question in the following link http://vocaroo.com/i/s0mlWHK3iehc

Have fun!

And here we thought Hyena was too obvious! I never suspected Joan of a double bluff... She's sneakier than I realized.

I don't know what to believe anymore. I've lost all trust for these alternate-universe Joals. :laugh:

Midweek reminder for round 4

So far, I have received 7 sets of answers this week, so here is your usual first reminder!

The deadline for round 4 is 8am Saturday (UK time), or a little later if l don't post the answers precisely at that time, but don't risk it! That means you should have until at least midnight Friday night, whatever time zone you are in.

Please let me have your answers before then.

Thank you!

Joan

Jock

Joal

glasses.gif

(it gets so confusing :glare: )

It's final reminder time for round 4!

I currently have 11 sets of answers, but for those of you still puzzling over what the connection is, you now have just 10 hours left to submit your answers!

*stands by*

glasses.gif

There were 19 entrants this week, so thank you to everyone for taking part and here are the..................

Answers to round 4

1. Maisonette (this had the most correct answers)

2. Atonement

3. Only The Lonely (this had the fewest correct answers amongst the 9 multiple choice questions)

4. Sierra Leone

5. Stonewall

6. Indonesia

7. Trombone

8. Honeysuckle

9. Baritone

10. All the answers contain the word "one" (the clue was in the question, which was carefully worded to say: "What is the one connection between the correct answers.........?")

11. U2 (and the song was called "One")

The scores

Connection (question 10)

A few people put "all the answers contain the letter e" and one person got even closer with "all the answers include the letters "on"", but there was only one (tonguesmiley.gif) solution that completely answered the question, given the way it was worded. I thought this would be quite tough, but no fewer than 6 entrants came up with the right answer (*dodges rotten fruit from the other 13 entrants*)

Bonus question

From the brief snippet provided, 3 entrants correctly identified the band as U2, so well done to _Amy_, Dusty15 and Enkidom and PortlandLove and PuddinPop.

Winners of Round 4

The average score for round 4 was very healthy again, coming out at 7.11 and for the second week running, the bonus point proved decisive. I therefore declare the winners of the round to be:

PortlandLove and PuddinPop

You should be able to work out your own scores, but if you would like official confirmation, then please PM me. Either way, at the end of the quiz, I will send you all your scores on a round by round basis.

As mentioned last week, there will be separate awards for the best overall team and the best overall individual, so there's still all to play for with 3 rounds to go.

We're getting close to the end of the quiz now - the double round finale will start a week tomorrow (and I warn you now, round 6 is a brute!), but before then, round 5 will commence tomorrow!

glasses.gif

Welcome to round 5 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2015!

First, the usual reminders!

1. You can still take part in round 5, even if you didn't compete in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s 2015 answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Another reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s continue to have a fair contest!

3. Anyone for whom English is not their first language may PM me and ask if they may look up the translation (but not the meaning) of a specific word (or words) into their native language. I will then decide whether or not I think they will be gaining an unfair advantage by knowing the translation of that word and will PM back accordingly.

4. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 7 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you all have until at least midnight on Friday 6 March, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok class, pay attention now glare.gif

Round 5 – Geography

1. Which is Europe's largest country (by area) after Russia?

Sweden

France

Spain

Ukraine

2. Which is North America's highest mountain?

Mount Logan

Mount Foraker

Mount Saint Elias

Mount McKinley

3. Which European city was called Christiania from 1624-1924?

Copenhagen

Malmo

Oslo

Helsinki

4. Which is the world's largest subtropical desert?

Arabian

Sahara

Kalahari

Great Victoria

5. Which South American country's name is literally 'Land of Silver'?

Argentina

Colombia

Brazil

Uruguay

6. How many countries border Switzerland?

7. In the 2011 census, which Australian state had the highest population?

Victoria

New South Wales

Queensland

Western Australia

8. Which country is the largest landlocked country in the world (by area)?

Mongolia

Afghanistan

Chad

Kazakhstan

9. Chicago borders which of the five Great Lakes?

Erie

Ontario

Michigan

Superior

10. Which African country was formerly known as Northern Rhodesia?

Zimbabwe

Zambia

Zaire

Zanzibar

Joal's vocaroo bonus

11. Answer the question in the following link http://vocaroo.com/i/s1ca4lAvSUkF (just to clarify, it's the name of the country that is required)

Good luck!

glasses.gif

Archived