Sneeze Fetish Forum

SFF Quiz 2014!

Joal 555

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I never thought there would be such interest in the quiz! We have 28 confirmed entrants (counting each two person team as one entrant).

You should all have received a PM thread by now which you should use to supply your answers each week. Please let me know if you haven't received one. There is still time for other people to join in! The quiz starts on Sunday 16 February, so if you would like to take part, please comment below and I will send you the same PM that the others already have.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to do some last minute revision, apparently there are billions of facts available on something called the internet. Oh yes, that will be the thing that you won't be allowed to refer to once you have seen the questions.........

See you on Sunday!

Ohh, it's oooooon!!! :naughty:

2n8wtci.jpg

Oh dayum!!!! XD welp....deathy chan...let us get our deathnotes..

*Pulls out chips and deathnote and puts on epic music!*

Ohh, it's oooooon!!! naughty.gif

2n8wtci.jpg

Oh dayum!!!! XD welp....deathy chan...let us get our deathnotes..

*Pulls out chips and deathnote and puts on epic music!*

I found an even better response ;o

Yes!!!!!! My Deathy jack frost!!!! Yeeeeeeeeesssss!!! We shall combine our icy powers and CRUSH THEM ALL!!!!!

*Evil laughter*

Welcome to round 1 of the SFF Quiz 2014!

But first some important points!

1. Firstly, remember that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s have a fair contest!

2. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 22 February. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you all have until at least midnight on Friday 21 February, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

3. I will also accept answers up to the above deadline from people who haven’t previously registered an interest, so it’s not too late to get involved. Please send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category.

4. As we have so many entrants and such a wide range of ages, I have decided to make the early rounds multiple choice, so that everyone can at least have a (possibly educated) guess even if they don’t know the answer. This may or may not continue throughout the 7 rounds.

Ok, here we go!

Round 1 – Art and Literature

1. At which number on Baker Street did Sherlock Holmes live?

221A

221B

222A

222B

2. Who wrote the opera ‘Madame Butterfly’?

Verdi

Wagner

Rossini

Puccini

3. Which was the third book in the Harry Potter series?

Order of the Phoenix

Prisoner of Azkaban

Goblet of Fire

Chamber of Secrets

4. Salvador Dali’s paintings belonged to which art movement?

Surrealism

Art Deco

Abstract Exp
ressionism

Neo Classicism

5. How many books did C S Lewis write in the Chronicles of Narnia series?

6. In which European city would you find the famous ‘Trevi Fountain’?

Paris

Rome

Madrid

Venice

7. What type of animal is Snowball, in George Orwell’s ‘Animal Farm’?

Dog

Donkey

Pig

Horse

8. ‘Netsuke’ are miniature sculptures from which country?

South Korea

Thailand

Indonesia

Japan

9. Who wrote the novel "Life Of Pi"?

Kiran Desai

Aravind Adiga

Yann Martel

Arundhati Roy

10. Which newspaper does Peter Parker (aka Spiderman) work for?

Daily Bugle

Daily Trumpet

Daily Clarion

Daily Record

Bonus question

I will award a bonus point to whoever gets the closest answer (only one guess allowed!) to the following question:

11. There are 66 books in the bible (old testament and new testament combined), but how many chapters are there?

Good luck everyone!

Answers to Round 1 – Art and Literature

1. 221B

2. Puccini (this proved to be the joint hardest question with the fewest correct answers)

3. Prisoner of Azkaban (this proved to be the easiest question with the most correct answers)

4. Surrealism

5. 7

6. Rome

7. Pig

8. Japan

9. Yann Martel (this proved to be the joint hardest question with the fewest correct answers)

10. Daily Bugle

11. 1,189

There were 22 entrants to round 1 and I hope that as many of you as possible will stick with the quiz throughout the remaining 6 weeks. As well as an overall winner, there may be other categories for you to win (eg best individual, best team, age group categories etc) so even if you think your score isn't so good, keep battling away!

I won't be posting anyone's individual scores in this thread (I'll let you know by PM), but I can reveal that the winner of round 1 (and thus the early leader in the overall quiz) is.......... :drumroll: ...........Rachiella44!

I can also confirm that 2 entrants guessed the exact number of chapters in the bible, and therefore in each case, they have had a bonus point added to their round 1 score. They are Faberrysneezes!..........and........the team of MoonDuck and seniorstatus14.

Thank you all for taking part in round 1 and watch out for the questions for round 2, which will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

Welcome to round 2 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2014!

First, the boring bits!

1. Even if you didn't take part in round 1, you can still have a go at round 2 if you wish. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category.

2. Your weekly reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s continue to have a fair contest!

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 1 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 28 February, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, without further ado...........

Round 2 – Science and Nature

1. At what temperature do both the Farenheit and Celsius scales have the same value?

minus 35 degrees

minus 40 degrees

minus 45 degrees

minus 50 degrees

2. What is the name of the pigment that makes leaves green?

Chlorophyll

Carotene

Xanthophyll

Phaeophytin

3. How many wings does a bee have?

4. Gynophobia is the fear of what?

Birds

Women

Mermaids

Gymnasia

5. What is the chemical symbol for gold?

Or

Gd

Ag

Au

6. What is Osteology the study of?

Oysters

Joints

Bones

Fossils

7. How many chambers are there in a human heart?

8. ‘Dry ice’ is a term used for the frozen form of what?

Calcium hydroxide

Calcium carbonate

Carbon dioxide

Carbon monoxide

9. A leveret is the young of which animal?

Squirrel

Beaver

Guinea Pig

Hare

10. Which of these distances is the longest?

1 mile

100,000 centimetres

2 kilometres

2,000 yards

Bonus question

I will award a bonus point to whichever entrant(s) get(s) the closest answer to the following question:

11. According to the World Meteorological Organsiation, what is the hottest ever recorded temperature (weather wise) in Fahrenheit? Clue - it was in Death Valley, California.

Have fun!

Answers to Round 2 – Science and Nature

1. Minus 40 degrees

2. Chlorophyll (this was the easiest question - everyone got it right!)

3. 4 (for clarity, I asked "how many wings"....not...."how many pairs of wings"...so the answer was 4, not 2)

4. Women

5. au

6. Bones (quite a few put joints for this one, but the study of joints is known as arthrology)

7. 4

8. Carbon dioxide

9. Hare (this was the hardest question - only 9 out of 21 got it right)

10. 2 kilometres (thank you again to the honest person who told me they had used a calculator and asked if this was allowed - I deemed it to fall within "other research" and didn't allow the point)

11. 134F

There were 21 entrants to round 2 - thank you all for taking part. Once again, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but the roll of honour is listed below.

Bonus Points

2 entrants guessed the exact hottest recorded temperature and therefore in each case, they have had a bonus point added to their round 2 score. They are Artygirl22 and DeathNoteOwner..........and........hankman and snufflebunny

Round 2 Winners

There were 5 joint winners of round 2 as listed below - well done to you all!

Junia and Gnarly Ralee

count de tisza

Dusty 15 and Enkidom

High On Lullabies and TheCakeIsALie

hankman and snufflebunny

Overall Quiz Leaders

There is a now a 4 way tie at the top of the leader board after 2 rounds between:

count de tisza

Dusty 15 and Enkidom

High On Lullabies and TheCakeIsALie

hankman and snufflebunny

There are still 5 rounds to go though, so plenty of time for anyone else to catch up!

I have a feeling that round 3 will shake things up a bit, but we shall see. The next set of questions will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

Gads, phobia questions always catch me out. But surely fear of women should be va-gynophobia? tonguesmiley.gif

That was our answer :P although it may or may not have been changed... who knows... :hyp:

Welcome to round 3 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2014!

First, the usual reminders!

1.You can still have a go at round 3 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Anotherly reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 8 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 7 March, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, it's question time...........

Round 3 – Pop Music

1. Whose second studio album was called '21'?

Dido

Alanis Morissette

Lily Allen

Adele

2. Which Meat Loaf song includes the line "Let me sleep on it, I'll give you an answer in the morning"?

I'd Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

I'd Lie For You (And That's The Truth)

Paradise By The Dashboard Light

3. In which year did One Direction release their first album?

4. Who wote the 1986 Bangles hit 'Manic Monday'?

Michael Jackson

Prince

The Beegees

Stevie Wonder

5. Which of these Justin Timberlake hits made number 1 in both the US and the UK?

SexyBack

My Love

What Goes Around....Comes Around

Mirrors

6. 'Enjoy The Silence' can be found on which Depeche Mode album?

Violator

Songs Of Faith And Devotion

Ultra

Exciter

7. What was the name of David Bowie's comeback album in 2013?

The Last Day

The Next Day

The Last Year

The Next Year

8. What was Abba's only number 1 single in the US?

Waterloo

Take A Chance On Me

The Winner Takes It All

Dancing Queen

9. Who else featured on the 2010 Eminem single 'No Love'?

Busta Rhymes

Rihanna

Lil Wayne

Dr Dre

10. In which year did 'Bohemian Rhapsody' by Queen first reach number 1 in the UK?

Bonus question

I will award a bonus point to whichever entrant(s) get(s) the closest answer to the following question:

11. According to RIAA, Billboard how many Twitter followers did Justin Bieber have as of 1 January 2014?

Ok, game on!

Last week I said that I thought that round 3 might shake things up a bit, and so it proved! A lot of people didn't do as well as the first two weeks, so if that was you, don't worry, you weren't alone!

There were 22 entrants to round 3 - thank you all for taking part. Once again, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but here are the answers:

Answers to Round 3 – Pop Music

1. Adele (this had the most correct answers, making it the easiest question)

2. Paradise By The Dashboard Light

3. 2011

4. Prince

5. SexyBack

6. Violator

7. The Next Day

8. Dancing Queen

9. Lil Wayne (this was the hardest question of all 3 weeks to date - only 5 out of 22 got it right)

10. 1975

11. 45 million

Bonus Points

3 entrants guessed this exactly and therefore in each case, they have had a bonus point added to their round 3 score. They are Artygirl22 and DeathNoteOwner..........and........flowerpower67 ..........and........VividBubbles!

Round 3 Winners

There were 2 joint winners of round 3 as listed below - well done to you both!

PuddinPop and tma

VividBubbles!

Overall Quiz Leader

Only 4 points cover 1st place to 12th place on the leader board and there are still 4 rounds left so it's still completely wide open but the new overall leader is......... :drumroll: ..............VividBubbles!

Round 4

The questions for round 4 will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

I'd like to thank my parents for believing in me and Joal for hosting this and all of you for helping me on my way. I couldn't have done it without you. :P My only regret is that I knew how many twitter followers Justin Beiber has. I don't even know how many twitter followers I have. :\

But guys, seriously, this has been a lot of fun so far and I'm really happy to be a part of it. :)

My only regret is that I knew how many twitter followers Justin Beiber has. I don't even know how many twitter followers I have. :\

:lmfao: This is too funny, oh my god.

Welcome to round 4 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2014!

First, the usual reminders!

1. You can still participate in round 4 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Anotherly reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 15 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 14 March, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, down to business...........

Round 4 – Food and Drink

1. What type of beans would you find in most commercial tins of baked beans?

Kidney beans

Haricot beans

Cannellini beans

Butter beans

2. From which country is the traditional wine ‘retsina’?

Greece

Spain

Cyprus

Italy

3. What type of food is pumpernickel?

Fruit

Vegetable

Meat

Bread

4. What is the well-known sauce or dip made up of the following list of ingredients?.....chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, tahini, olive oil, paprika and cumin

Guacamole

Hummus

Salsa

Taramasalata

5. Which fruit was previously known as a Chinese gooseberry?

Gooseberry

Key lime

Kiwifruit

Kumquat

6. Which cocktail would the following ingredients make?.....white rum, lime juice and sugar syrup

Daiquiri

Mojito

Margarita

Cosmopolitan

7. The first pizza establishment in the US was opened in which city?

Chicago

Washington

Los Angeles

New York

8. From which country does Red Stripe beer originate?

Barbados

Jamaica

Bahamas

Cuba

9. A 'red navel' is a type of what?

Grapefruit

Pepper

Orange

Tomato

10. Which soft drink was invented by Charles Alderton in Texas in 1885?

Dr Pepper

Coca-Cola

Sprite

7 Up

Bonus question

11. According to Your Guide To Pizza, Pizza Market Place, what percentage of Americans eat at least one piece of pizza per month? (research date 16 June 2013)

Bon appetit!

There were a record 23 entrants to round 4 - thank you all for taking part! Once again, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but here are the answers (based on the average scores, this was the 2nd hardest round to date):

Answers to Round 4 – Food and Drink

1. Haricot Beans

2. Greece

3. Bread (this had the most correct answers, making it the easiest question)

4. Hummus

5. Kiwifruit

6. Daiquiri (this was the hardest question of all 4 weeks to date, with only 4 out of 23 getting it right - a lot of people put Mojito, but this includes mint and sparkling water, as well as the 3 ingredients that make up a Daiquiri)

7. New York

8. Jamaica

9. Orange

10. Dr Pepper

11. 93%

Bonus Points

4 entrants guessed this exactly right and therefore in each case, they have had a bonus point added to their round 4 score. They are Artygirl22 and DeathNoteOwner..........and........Something Clever ..........and........hankman and snufflebunny..........and........MoonDuck and seniorstatus14

Round 4 Winners and overall leaders

The winners of round 4 and the new overall quiz leaders are:

hankman and snufflebunny

Coming soon

The questions for round 5 will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

Goddam daiquari!! I had one the other day.......

Non alcoholic but still....

Goddammit. I sucked arse in that round. Where's the deep fried Mars bar questions??

It's cool though, I'll bet the last 3 rounds are 2000's tennis, 1980's heavy metal and American TV series' featuring cancer suffering, blue meth making, Aztek driving chemistry teachers. Right up my alley.

Archived