Sneeze Fetish Forum

SFF Quiz 2014!

Joal 555

I'll bet the last 3 rounds are 2000's tennis, 1980's heavy metal and American TV series' featuring cancer suffering, blue meth making, Aztek driving chemistry teachers

Goddammit!

**frantically starts redrafting questions**

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to round 5 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2014!

First, the usual reminders!

1. You can still participate in round 5 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Anotherly reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not do any other form of research (electronic or otherwise)

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s have a fair contest!

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 22 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 21 March, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

And so to the questions...........

Round 5 - 2000's tennis

Round 5 – How Many?

1. What number on the Beaufort scale represents a hurricane?

2. If you add together the number of stars and the number of stripes on the American flag, what number do you get?

3. How many tentacles (including arms) does a squid have?

4. There are 12 players in a volleyball team - how many of these play an individual point?

5. How many letters are there in the Greek alphabet?

6. Which anniversary of marriage is known as a 'bronze wedding'?

7. How many pillars of Islam are there?

8. How many bones are there in a typical adult human body?

9. How many MPs are there in Parliament at Westminster?

10. How many voting members are there in the United States Congress?

Bonus question

I will award a bonus point to whichever entrant(s) get(s) the closest answer to the following question:

11. How many prime numbers are there that are less than one million? (don't forget, calculators or other computational devices are NOT allowed! - you may use pen and paper and/or your minds tonguesmiley.gif )

Have fun!

I'm pleasantly surprised to actually possibly know a couple of these (not that I'm participating properly but it's still good fun!)

Hi Adrian

You can still participate in round 5 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

It's up to you though - if you just want to do it by yourself for fun, that's fine too :)

Hi Adrian

You can still participate in round 5 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

It's up to you though - if you just want to do it by yourself for fun, that's fine too smile.png

Thank you. But I don't think I can PM yet anyway. c:

Thank you. But I don't think I can PM yet anyway

You're right, but as a member of staff I can start a PM with you (which you can reply to), so I'll send you one. Then at least you have the chance, if you want to take part.

Godamn it....no...i only know so much...

*Starts acting like death the kid when symmetry is off*

At this particular moment in time I could not be more proud to be an American :P

At this particular moment in time I could not be more proud to be an American tonguesmiley.gif

What? :lol: How so?

I'm more embarrassed to be an American right now, because I'm a terrible one who couldn't tell you how many members there are in congress to save his life!

I'm more embarrassed to be an American right now, because I'm a terrible one who couldn't tell you how many members there are in congress to save his life!

And I'm a terrible Brit who had to guess how many MPs were in parliament :D

There were a record 25 entrants to round 5 - thank you all for taking part! As usual, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but here are the answers:

Answers to Round 5 – How many?

1. 12

2. 63 (50 stars and 13 stripes - this had the most correct answers, making it the easiest question)

3. 10 (8 tentacles and 2 arms)

4. 6 (there are 12 players on a team - for each point, 6 sit on the bench and 6 are on court playing the point)

5. 24

6. 8 (this was the hardest question with the fewest correct answers)

7. 5

8. 206

9. 650 (you would think an odd number would make more sense?)

10. 535

11. 78,498

Bonus Point

Only one person got this exactly right and therefore the bonus point this week goes to VividBubbles!

Round 5 Winners

The joint winners of round 5 were:

Something Clever

Dusty15 and Enkidom

Overall Quiz Leaders

With 2 weeks to go, the joint overall leaders are:

hankman and snufflebunny

Dusty15 and Enkidom

Coming soon

The questions for round 6 will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

I suck at these things. Like unless its about a show or movie or 8th grade biology or early US History, I honestly suck. Cake is super smart, though.

Welcome to round 6 (of 7) of the SFF Quiz 2014!

1. You can still participate in round 6 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

2. Anotherly reminder that this is a test of what you know (or can guess) rather than how good you are at looking things up – so once again, please:

-do not use google

-do not ask anyone else to help you (on or off the forum), other than your teammate (where applicable)

You are all on your honour - let’s have a fair contest!

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 29 March. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 28 March, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, here we go...........

Round 6 – TV and Film

1. Which actor was the first to play The Doctor in Doctor Who?

Jon Pertwee

Patrick Troughton

Christopher Eccleston

William Hartnell

2. In the Lord Of The Rings trilogy, who played Meriadoc Brandybuck?

Dominic Monaghan

Sean Astin

Billy Boyd

Elijah Wood

3. Who provides the voice for Bart Simpson?

Julie Kavner

Yeardley Smith

Nancy Cartwright

Pamela Hayden

4. In how many James Bond films did Roger Moore have the lead part as 007?

5. In the film 'The King's Speech', who played the part of Queen Elizabeth?

Helen Mirren

Helena Bonham Carter

Judi Dench

Emma Thompson

6. Which of these characters appeared in every episode of 'Cheers'?

Dr Frasier Crane

Cliff Clavin

Diane Chambers

Woody Boyd

7. For which film did Kate Winslett win an Oscar for best actress?

The Reader

Titanic

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Little Children

8. Who won American Idol in 2011?

Scotty McCreery

Lee DeWyze

Phillip Phillips

Kris Allen

9. Who won X Factor in the UK in 2011?

Matt Cardle

James Arthur

Little Mix

Joe McElderry

10. Who won an Oscar for his or her performance in The Godfather Part 2?

Robert Duvall

Al Pacino

Robert De Niro

Diane Keaton

Bonus question

I will award a bonus point to whichever entrant(s) get(s) the closest answer to the following question:

11. By the end of 2013, how many films had Allen Konigsberg directed? (clue - he is better known by another name)

Good luck everyone!

There were 20 entrants to round 6 - thank you all for taking part! As usual, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but here are the answers:

Answers to Round 6 – TV and Film

1. William Hartnell

2. Dominic Monaghan (this had the most correct answers, making it the easiest question)

3. Nancy Cartwright

4. 7 (the clue was in the question - 007!)

5. Helena Bonham Carter

6. Cliff Clavin

7. The Reader

8. Scotty McCreery

9. Little Mix (this was the hardest question with the fewest correct answers)

10. Robert De Niro

11. 47 (as many of you knew, Allen Konigsberg is Woody Allen - for clarification, the question was asking how many films he had directed by the end of 2013 in his career, not just in the year 2013. Apologies for any ambiguity)

Bonus Point

At the 6th attempt, I finally got one of these questions to work in the way that I had intended! Nobody got the exact number and although there were a lot of near misses, the closest guess was 48. This week's bonus point therefore goes to..................count de tisza

Round 6 Winner

The winner of round 6 was............

Rachiella44

Overall Quiz Leaders

The overall leader or leaders is/are....................well actually, I'm going to withhold that information for now because................

It's finale time!

The marathon is nearly over - the questions for the final round will be posted in this thread tomorrow!

(I hope as many people as possible will join in, regardless of whether you have participated in all, some or none of the previous rounds)

Ladies and gentleman, it's been a long haul, but we now arrive at the final round of the SFF Quiz 2014!

I hope as many people as possible will join in, regardless of whether you have participated in all, some or none of the previous rounds.

1. You can still participate in round 7 even if you didn't take part in one or more of the earlier rounds. Simply send me a PM (entitled “{member’s name}’s answer thread”) with your answers if you fall into this category and you will still be eligible to win the individual round.

-do not use google

You are all on your honour - let’s have a fair finale!

3. You must send your replies to me (using the PM threads already set up) by the time I post the answers on Saturday 5 April. This will not be before 8am (UK time) so you have until at least midnight on Friday 4 April, whichever time zone you are in, but please don’t leave it until the last minute, in case you have internet connection issues or some other problem. I won’t be able to accept any replies after I have posted the answers (even if you can honestly claim not to have seen them yet).

Ok, the final questions...........

Round 7 – General Knowledge

1. If something is ‘aestival’ (or 'estival' in the US), it belongs to or appears in which season of the year?

Winter

Spring

Summer

Autumn/Fall

2. In which city was the first ever ‘Miss World’ contest held?

London

Paris

Rome

New York

3. What colour is an amethyst?

Orange

Red

Purple

Blue

4. In September 1992 Mae Jemison became the first African American woman to travel in space, aboard which space shuttle?

Colombia

Endeavor

Discovery

Atlantis

5. What was the name of the Roman god of war?

Pluto

Jupiter

Mercury

Mars

6. Which country has hosted the second most number of Olympic Games, counting both summer and winter games? (The United States have hosted the most at 8)

France

Italy

Great Britain

Germany

7. Which is the smallest US state by area?

Hawaii

Rhode Island

Delaware

Connecticut

8. Which zodiac sign is represented by a goat?

Sagittarius

Cancer

Aries

Capricorn

9. What is the Italian for Friday?

Sabato

Giovedi

Domenica

Venerdi

10. Which of these countries has the lotus as its national flower?

Pakistan

India

Sri Lanka

Bangladesh

Bonus question

11. How many consecutive matches of squash did Jahangir Khan win starting in 1981 and ending in 1986?

Have fun!

BAHAHAHA, Joal. :lol: I totally [CENSORED UNTIL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN REVEALED]

You know, I rather THOUGHT that Bangladeshaton wasn't a country, but I didn't want to say anything xD

I failed to edit out the last bit of Diane Keaton's name from the week before :lol:

There were 21 entrants to the final round - thank you all for taking part! As usual, I will let you know your individual scores by PM, but here are the answers:

Answers to Round 7 – General Knowledge

1. Summer

2. London

3. Purple (this had the most correct answers, making it the easiest question)

4. Endeavor

5. Mars

6. France (this was the hardest question with the fewest correct answers)

7. Rhode Island

8. Capricorn

9. Venerdi

10. Bangladeshaton India

11. 555 (it seemed appropriate to finish the quiz with 555 as the answer!)

Bonus Points

There were 2 correct answers this week, so bonus points go to.......

PortlandLove12 (Portland also guessed 555, because it was part of my username, for the prime numbers question in week 5 - little did she know that I had always intended ending the quiz with this as an answer!)

Artygirl22 and DeathNoteOwner

Round 7 Winners

The joint winners of round 7 were............

Something Clever

VividBubbles!

PortlandLove12

Nominations For Overall Quiz Winner

The overall winners of the quiz will be announced later today between 7pm and 8pm (UK time). The top 5 points scorers over the 7 week period (and thus the nominees) in alphabetical order are as follows:

Dusty15 and Enkidom

hankman and snufflebunny

Rachiella44

Something Clever

VividBubbles!

Tune in later today when all will be revealed!

Archived