Sneeze Fetish Forum

Things you "should" like, but don't

bloom

The book-to-movie adaptation thread reminded me of this dilemma of mine I've been thinking about for a long time, so I decided I'd make a thread on it and see if anybody else has anything like this.

In theory, I should eat the Lord of the Rings books up with a spoon - a rich and immersive world, tons of supplementary material, high fantasy, engaging-enough characters, SO MUCH INTERESTING LORE... I enjoyed watching the movies, which I did about two years ago, and I've been playing D&D a lot recently and loving it, and it was pretty heavily inspired by LotR when it was first conceived. So on paper it looks like this should be something I would really, really adore - it has so many of the elements I love about good storytelling and worldbuilding. There's just one small problem.

I. Hate. Tolkien's writing style.

I don't know what it is about it, but it's completely impenetrable for me. I can read the same page over and over and over an absorb nothing whatsoever. I just hate every single word he writes. :lol: And it's not like I'm knocking the man's talent or anything; I recognize he was an innovative writer and I deeply appreciate the craftsmanship he displayed creating his world and his conlangs and everything else. But the words as they are written in the books themselves make me want to hurl them across the room, and I can't get past it to get into the story at all. I wish I could, because I really feel like I'm missing out! Everything about these books is right up my alley! But unfortunately I don't seem to be able to get over this. I keep holding out hope that someday I'll be able to, though.

So does anybody else have anything like this? It doesn't have to be a piece of media specifically, it could be a food or a class in school or something - what looks great to you on paper to you but falls flat once you actually try it?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm gonna be this person, but...

Glee.

I absolutely adore shows like Glee. Singing, dancing, talented people, whether it's reality or sitcoms, I really don't care, I just love it all. I'm that insufferable person who watches X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, The Voice, everything. I love all movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop Of Horrors, every Disney film ever made... music is just 100% my jam, it doesn't matter what it is.

...unless it's Glee.

Admittedly, I have never been amazingly into Broadway or anything like that - not that I dislike it as such, I just never gave it too much of my attention. However, there is something about Glee which I just abhor. From the acting to the character portrayal, the scenarios, the terrible renditions of once-great songs, the plot... everything just makes me so angry that I want to burn things after I watch it :lol: I've seriously tried getting into it on many occasions because it really should be something that I love, but I just can't. I can never follow anything what's going on because halfway through a conversation, a dance routine breaks out and then that conversation is never heard of again.

I just really loathe it, and I know I shouldn't but I really, really do :lol:

Shows like Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, Pretty Little Liars. Can't stand them, never could. The entire time I've been a teenage girl, I have never liked shows like those even a little. I basically went from Disney shows like The Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place, and Hannah Montana straight to shows like The Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, and Archer. And I've never stopped loving Cartoon Network from when I was little to right now.

I'm gonna be this person, but...

Glee.

I absolutely adore shows like Glee. Singing, dancing, talented people, whether it's reality or sitcoms, I really don't care, I just love it all. I'm that insufferable person who watches X Factor, Britain's Got Talent, The Voice, everything. I love all movies like The Rocky Horror Picture Show, Little Shop Of Horrors, every Disney film ever made... music is just 100% my jam, it doesn't matter what it is.

...unless it's Glee.

Admittedly, I have never been amazingly into Broadway or anything like that - not that I dislike it as such, I just never gave it too much of my attention. However, there is something about Glee which I just abhor. From the acting to the character portrayal, the scenarios, the terrible renditions of once-great songs, the plot... everything just makes me so angry that I want to burn things after I watch it heh.gif I've seriously tried getting into it on many occasions because it really should be something that I love, but I just can't. I can never follow anything what's going on because halfway through a conversation, a dance routine breaks out and then that conversation is never heard of again.

I just really loathe it, and I know I shouldn't but I really, really do heh.gif

This is basically the opposite problem I had with Glee. I'm not really into musicals, Broadway, talent or singing shows at all. It's just not my thing but something just clicked, I guess. I loved it. So weird, you know? :lol:

I feel like I should like Harry Potter but I don't. I mean, everyone does and who wouldn't? Wizards, witches, magic, and all but I can't. It's just boring to me. I've only watched the movies and they are entertaining somewhat, I've never gotten into them. I haven't read the books so maybe I'll like those better.

My biggest one is Harry Potter. I'm such a fan of that genre and I write it myself but I just. don't. like. it.

Aw, Melody and greetingsfromboston beat me to the punch but yeah, Harry Potter all the way. I would say that I just came into it too-old, but obviously there were and are tons and tons of adult fans. I was a teenager and then a very early twenty-something at the time they were really hitting their peak, so maybe I was still too caught up in my hipster mentality of preferring fantasy classics and snubbing my nose at newer stuff.

I've read the first couple of books and watched maybe four of the movies and I just. Nah. I totally respect Rowling for what she's doing, I think her world-building is great and I love that she got a lot of kids into reading and into the genre who might not have otherwise given it a second glance. I think that the themes have been done before, maybe worse and maybe better, but I can't argue that her take was wildly successful and bully for that. But man, am I glad that the book and movie series is over with. I'm just so tired of it being so pervasive in pop culture.

Which is... something because I am all about some fantasy, if you hadn't noticed the werewolves-and-elves-and-monsters theme of my garbage fics. It has a gigantic fandom that I could lose myself in for days, weeks, years at this point. It has a huge world and interesting concepts to play with. But? There it is. Harry Potter irritates me.

(P.S. Junia, I love the Lord of the Rings/Silmarillion/Hobbit source material and fandom but I am SO WITH YOU on all of the above. Tolkien's writing is denser than the densest dense. I legit had a notebook out next to me when I read The Silmarillion to keep track of all the goddamned names and deeds. George R.R. Martin is a much more accessible writer but I'm starting to think I should have done the same for A Song of Ice and Fire)

The Walking Dead. I made it through half of the first season and didn't really end up caring about any of the characters enough to keep watching. Apparently everyone and their dog is in love with it though, so maybe I'm missing something.

Popcorn, for sure. Everyone loves popcorn. And I just... don't. If I'm on a date with a guy and he gets it, I might have a couple pieces, just because it's there, but otherwise I don't like it. >>

Star Wars. I'm old enough to have seen the first movie in the theater upon its original release in 1977 but it never grabbed me. Star Trek, yes. Doctor Who, hell yes. Star Wars? Meh. *ducks behind furniture*

I am so glad to hear I'm not the only one who has a problem with Tolkiens writing style!!! :lol: I'm a skilled reader and I love the idea behind the story, but I cannot get past the writing; it almost puts me to sleep. I've never dared to admit it before because everyone who reads anything more advanced than "Twilight" are supposed to worship Tolkien, but... I can't.

Also pretty much anything popular; the zombie trend, the vampire trend, the J-pop trend... I have tried numerous times (and failed) to get into popular fandoms like Supernatural, Sherlock, Dr Who... and I just can't do it. If I try too many times, I end up absolutely hating it instead of just being neutral to it.

I really don't like kids. :lol: I don't find anything a kid does "adorable" or even sufferable, and I have no wish whatsoever to become a mother, which apparently is very unnatural. Oddly enough, cats stir that deathly intense maternal instinct that I completely lack when it comes to human children.

I don't like summer. I feel like I should because I enjoy the nature, and I adore pollen allergies, but... if I could have eternal autumn, I would.

Hot beverages of any kind. I like the idea of having a cup of coffee or tea, but in reality I can't down it. I physically cannot swallow a drink that's lukewarm or warmer; I choke on them.

Spicy food. I like food, a lot. I eat pretty much anything you put in front of me, and I like full, rich tastes. But spicy is not a taste, mind you. :lol: Really, I want to like it, and for years I thought I did, but I have finally admitted to myself that no, I do not. I'd rather have plain potatoes with some butter than tacos with hot salsa.

I'm a terribly picky person, and yes, I annoy myself. :lol:

Bacon and eggs.

Eggs I can tolerate if it's with like a sandwich, or an omelet that is mostly not egg

( lol). I just can't stand the weird texture of eggs. Boiled eggs are the worst in my book.

But BACON, 100% dislike. The smell, the taste, the texture, the grease. Ew. A lot of people are in shock when I tell them I don't like bacon because it's "ssoo good!" I always respond with, " Yea but I'm the best friend you could ever have. If there was a plate of bacon between us, that plate is all yours because I'll have none of it." Haha

Wow, so much dislike for things that I, too, dislike! :lol:

I really dislike Game of Thrones. I've had so many of my friends try to push that series on me via book and TV and I'm here to tell you . . . stop wasting your precious time, for real. I have absolutely zero interest in either. It's funny because I love that genre, but I find every single character so utterly unappealing, I just don't even want to delve into it.

Also Walking Dead and Teen Wolf.

Bye.

P.S. I also dislike when I cannot grammar.

Doctor Who.

Despite innumerable efforts to enjoy it since its resurrection by Christoper Eccleston and Billy Piper I still think its a complete and utter waste of space (and time :lol: ) I even used to read (and enjoy) the books as a child, but I can't escape the nauseating smugness that I find the series exudes, the CGI effects are universally crap and Matt Smith/David Tennent have all the likability of a pair of wet socks. However, I do enjoy his female assistants on some kind of level... OK that's me out *backs quietly away*

I forgot Sherlock. Any form of Sherlock.

Also, any kind of Avengers stuff.

Wow, I dislike a lot of crap. :lol:

I'm very similar to possum, in the sense that although I love Doctor Who, I tried Star Wars (admittedly only the first film) and it did so little for me that I didn't even bother with any of the sequels/prequels/other nonsense :P

*flees*

Shows like Gossip Girl, Teen Wolf, Pretty Little Liars. Can't stand them, never could. The entire time I've been a teenage girl, I have never liked shows like those even a little. I basically went from Disney shows like The Suite Life, Wizards of Waverly Place, and Hannah Montana straight to shows like The Big Bang Theory, Family Guy, and Archer. And I've never stopped loving Cartoon Network from when I was little to right now.

This makes me feel awful...I loved GG and PLL and I'm 28 :-x

On topic though, Game of Thrones is also something I can't stand. Weird enough because Wheel of Time is my favorite book series of all time and pretty much everyone I know who loves WoT loves GoT too o.O

I like this topic! I have always felt I should be into Doctor Who. It has... 1. A quirky, highly intelligent lead character, who is both charming and slightly offbeat when it comes to 'regular' social interactions, 2. Awesome Sci Fi within a (somewhat) realistic setting, 3. A 'dynamic duo' set up... main characters who bounce-off and support each other (humour plus 'I do care about you' stuff... aww)

AND.... 4. Tends to be a big fave amongst Sherlockians (which I am), 5. Is a HUGE ongoing phemomenon with epic levels of backstory (and for me, it seems too much fandom is never enough) and 6. ...I like many of the actors who have been involved!

Hmm... actually, just writing this, I feel I should give it another go. I think the problem may be that I have always caught the episodes out of order/without context, and I really should just sit down and start from the beginning of a season. Like... the normal way seasons are enjoyed. :lol:

Bananas. I like fruit. I like sweet things. I have tried so hard to like bananas, and I just can't.

Anime (as a whole, pretty much). I know I should like it because it's art, and I should respect all forms of art. Several people have tried to convince me that it's expressive and beautiful and i just don't see it. Maybe one day that will change. I'm open-minded, but so far it's not looking promising.

Quentin Tarantino. You know, I may actually like his movies. The genres he works on tend to interest me. But just who he is as an overall cocky person ruins any chance of me spending money to see his films. He really bothers me.

…to be continued.

oh boy! do I have a list of pop culture stuff that I should like, or at least be familiar with, but I just don't.

1. Harry Potter

2. ANYTHING BBC (Dr. Who, Sherlock, the like)

3. Supernatural?

4. Star Wars

5. Star Trek

6. Lord of the Rings

7. Game of Thrones

8. The Office

9. 30 Rock

10. Marvel--comics and superheroes in general

I may look like an uncultured swine---and I probably am, but I really just don't like fantasy/sci-fi And superheroes, it all too much backstory to get engrossed in and I feel like these things have been such a big deal for so long that there's too much to learn. It's like not going to class for an entire semester and realizing you're going to fail the final and there's not a damn thing you can do about it. It's just too much information to cram into one sitting. And honestly, I don't care about any of that stuff, it doesn't interest me in the first place, so why bother learning every little trivial thing about it? I'd much rather fan over shows and music that does interest me, because that's what passion is, that's what makes us all unique in the hobbies that we love so much.

The last two on the list, are shows I'd probably like, since I like comedies, but have never gotten the chance/time to watch it.

Bananas. I like fruit. I like sweet things. I have tried so hard to like bananas, and I just can't.

Anime (as a whole, pretty much). I know I should like it because it's art, and I should respect all forms of art. Several people have tried to convince me that it's expressive and beautiful and i just don't see it. Maybe one day that will change. I'm open-minded, but so far it's not looking promising.

Quentin Tarantino. You know, I may actually like his movies. The genres he works on tend to interest me. But just who he is as an overall cocky person ruins any chance of me spending money to see his films. He really bothers me.

…to be continued.

you're not alone on the banana thing!! I have a friend who is repulsed by bananas! even just the smell makes her want to throw up haha

I freakin' hate tomatoes, but hypocritically eat ketchup, well-blended (no chunks!) salsa, and red pasta sauce. But if I find a "chunk" of tomato anywhere in anything? I am massively grossed out and won't eat it.

I also dislike bacon and the bacon obsession. Also, melons are disgusting and keep your salmon and weird-ass Italian hams away from me. (Excuse me while I laugh at my own horrible innuendos.)

Dogs. Too noisy, too hyperactive, too... slobbery and gross and I just really, really do not like dogs.

I forgot Sherlock. Any form of Sherlock.

^^ THIS. I love detective stuff, so much, all cop shows, etc. but not Sherlock. Not at all. I really, really tried, especially when I thought the Cumberbatch version was going to be more modern and then, just nope...

Hmm, other stuff I *should* like but don't...

*Physics - I love science, and I like to do math problems, but as soon as it involves acceleration or momentum, then get it far from me, please! And on that note - math problems including money. In fact, there is something about most everything involving money, doing taxes, calculating tips, spending too much, whatever that just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

*'Soft' Science Fiction - If it isn't 'believable' scientifically (Star Trek, Star Wars, anything involving little green men...) then I find it incredibly boring and cheesy. It's a shame, because I really want to be able to find more good science fiction writers, like Crichton. Oh, but even though I hate space crap, I do like Marvel comics and DC comics (I just ignore the space stuff and focus on the stuff I do enjoy).

I'm sure there's more...

Every person who has shown any romantic interest in me so far in my life. :bleh:

Archived