Sneeze Fetish Forum

Morning Coffee (32 Parts - Complete)

Kaze Wo Hiku

Yep Kaze is posting another story instead of finishing her current one *ahem* Yeah so I got railroaded with an idea which sprung from one of my fave obs posted here, the fact that I've been obsessed with the song Cecilia and the Satellite and....I wanted to write M/M...so...what follows is the result. I have no idea how many parts this will be...I just want to get some of it posted so hopefully I can work on my other fic :sweatdrop:

Enjoy, comments are welcome!

~~~~

Part 1: Strangers on a Train

Liam inhaled letting the nicotine calm him one last time then tossed the cigarette onto the ground crushing it beneath his foot. Smoking was forbidden on the train so he had quickly lit one last before final boarding. He hadn’t smoked in ages but lately with everything he seemed not able to go more than a few hours without one. It relaxed him, he hated that.

Zipping up his black hoodie, he then dug into his pocket for his phone which had vibrated.

U leave yet? - M

Liam sighed, typing a hastily reply to his sister.

About too, I’m turning my phone off now. Talk to you later, Mel.

With that he flicked the screen off and stuck his cell back in his coat pocket. He stared at the train for a second; fully aware they were calling for the final boarding.

“What do you mean you’re leaving? The fuck you are! You have a deadline!”

“I’m taking a sabbatical; I already cleared it with Cordelia. You’ll live.”

“Goddamn Liam, this isn’t fair.”

“Should have thought of that before you slept with Simon.”

Liam shook his head furiously desperately trying to shake the last conversation with Bryce from his head. But the tightness in his chest he had felt for almost a week started rising again. He tried taking a few breaths to calm himself but all he could think about was how badly he wanted another cigarette. And to physically punch Bryce in the face. Sadly neither of those options currently worked so Liam swallowed hard and boarded the train.

The passenger car was empty; Liam guessed not many people were venturing up north now that the days had turned colder. Most of the trees had shed their leaves too so even tourists watching the colors had all but left. Liam took a seat near the back by the window; all the seats in his area were also empty.

Good. He thought to himself setting his laptop bag on the seat across. Liam never liked being around other people. His sister had joked it was all due to being an introvert but Liam did not fully agree. Yes he was introverted, he didn’t deny that but it seemed he always had a difficult time focusing or even breathing when he got around large groups of people. Bryce had once thrown the word “Agoraphobia” which Liam admitted later he had to google. Apparently this was an anxiety disorder caused by being in a situation where you don’t feel comfortable usually triggered by wide open spaces or social situations. Liam had clicked google closed after reading that, he didn’t mind being outside, it was just the people who ruined it. Truth be told Liam had severe anxiety, that he was sure of. It was something he was not proud of and not even discussed at length with Melody. Panic attacks happened from time to time, latest leading to this trip.

It made his job as a freelance writer the ideal job for him, he wrote when he felt like, didn’t have to interview or interact with others aside from Bryce his Editor and Cordelia, his boss. Cordelia ran an online magazine which had begun as her personal blog years ago. Nearly all her employees were freelance covering all aspects of the world, pop culture and whatever she decided to publish that month. That’s how he had met Bryce.

Liam involuntarily clenched thinking of his now ex-boyfriend.

“If I could fly. Then I would know. What life looks like from up above and down below.

I'd keep you safe. I'd keep you dry. Don't be afraid Cecilia I'm the satellite.

And you're the sky.”

Liam quietly sang the lyrics to himself. The train whistled and pulled away from the station. Liam was happy he’d have a few hours of peace.

However his peace was quickly interrupted as Liam discovered he was not the only person in this train car. And whoever his traveling companion was they were not being quiet. Liam leaned forward around the chair in front of him to get a better view. Another man sat a few rows up; he took the seat that was facing Liam though he had not noticed Liam looking. The man wore a heavy coat and scarf, which Liam found odd since the train car was quite warm. Liam shrugged it off, leaned back and closed his eyes.

Eeeeschooo!

Liam opened one eye momentarily closing it again after a few seconds.

Ehh...esschoooo!

Liam leaned forward looking at the only other person in the car again. The man was clearly older than him, Liam couldn’t really tell specifically, plus he was bad at age guessing. Late thirties maybe, though with the man's grey hair he could have been older. Liam now realized the reason for the coat and scarf; it was obvious the other passenger was fighting a cold.

Great, only other person in this train car is sick. Liam frowned. He leaned back again, resting his chin on his hand so he could watch the other man without staring. Liam admitted the older guy was kind of cute. He had never really been into older men but at this point any distraction from Bryce and his electric blue hair was warranted.

The older man drew a handkerchief from inside his coat pocket; Liam could barely make out a grey suit beneath it, also a burgundy bowtie.

This guy looks like a stereotypical English professor. Liam internally giggled.

The man barely got the handkerchief to his nose before another sneeze overtook him.

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

Heh’tsooooo!

Another wet sneeze followed by a blow. Liam was starting to feel bad for the guy; he did not appear very well. The man leaned back giving out a groan. He did not move for a while, Liam figured he had fallen asleep so he turned his attention to the passing countryside.

Peace and quiet returned for a bit, Liam nearly forgot about his sneezy train companion. About an hour outside of his destination Liam’s nicotine craving started to hit. He had been involuntarily shaking his knee when he finally realized why he was getting so agitated. Arching his back he stretched and once again happened to gaze over at the other person in the car. He still had the coat and scarf on, now a briefcase also sat on his lap; the man was looking at some papers in one hand, his other still tightly around his handkerchief.

Suddenly the man lurched forward.

Eeeeschooo!

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

It must have caught him off guard as the briefcase fell to the floor, the latch busting open and papers landed at his feet.

“Bloody hell.” Liam heard the man say in a very congested voice.

He was not sure what motivated his next move but Liam rose from his seat, walked a few steps forward and starting picking up some of the papers which were out of reach for the other man.

“Oh.” The man looked surprised to see Liam. “Sorry I didn’t realize anyone else was in this car. I apologize if my cold bothered you.” He appeared fully embarrassed.

Liam returned a smile, “Its fine.” He picked up a few more papers holding them out.

The older man blushed slightly, “Thank you, I am already clumsy even without this darn cold. Never fails, I get one every time the weather changes, or it is cold, or it is Tuesday.” He scoffed but stifled a cough instead. “Got caught in the blasted rain last night, caught a chill that I just couldn’t shake...” He looked up realizing Liam was still holding out the papers. “Oh and I babble when I’m ill too. Sorry.” He blushed again putting the papers back in his briefcase.

Liam couldn’t help but laugh somewhat. This was not a person he expected to meet on a train ride. Needless to say instead of returning to his seat, he sat opposite of his new acquaintance.

“Liam.” He introduced himself.

“Gabriel. People call me Gabe.” He smiled but Liam noticed his tone lowered when he said his nickname. Or maybe he’d imagined it. “Apologies for not shaking your hand, you do not want what I have.” He sniffed hard quickly pulling his handkerchief out.

Eeeeschooo!

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

“Excuse me, sorry.” Gabriel replied sheepishly.

Liam shrugged, “No need, you’re sick it happens.”

Gabriel scoffed, “Yes but it happens more than I would like it too.” He sighed. “Always right as the new semester starts too.”

Liam raised an eyebrow. “New semester?”

Gabriel nodded rubbing his nose which looked quite red and raw around the edges. “I teach at Davenport College.”

Liam could not stop the next word out of his mouth, “English?”

Gabriel nodded again, “Along with History, Psychology, it’s a small college so I wear many hats....what’s so funny?”

Liam looked away waving his hand, “Nothing, nothing.” His voice broke as he tried holding in his laughter.

“And now you’re laughing at me.” Gabriel’s quiet tone jerked Liam back.

“Sorry! Really sorry, it’s just,” Liam ran his hand through his dirty blonde hair. “When I first saw you I thought you looked like a professor, I didn’t expect to be right. Sorry.” Liam’s phone suddenly vibrated.

Damn I thought I turned that off! He cursed inwardly.

Liam cleared his throat, “Again sorry.”

“I was being oversensitive; I’ve been told I do that.” Gabriel looked away.

“No no, sorry you just look kind of like the Eleventh Doctor.” Liam hoped the man sitting across from him would take it as a compliment.

“Ah, well I have not watch Doctor Who since Sylvester McCoy was the Doctor, so I will take you at your word.”

Ok so he’s definitely over 30. Liam thought to himself.

Neither spoke for several minutes, Liam was beginning to feel bad for his impromptu outburst at Gabriel’s expense. He seemed nice, upon closer look Liam found the older man quite attractive. With his grey hair, which was cut short, he looked much like George Clooney, who Liam admitted was another fairly hot older guy. Gabriel had light blue eyes though, much like the sky on a clear day. Nice cheekbones and chin, a few lines by his eyes but Liam still really could not tell his age, his face was deceptively young looking. Aside from the redness around his poor nose Gabriel could have passed for a younger George Clooney or maybe even Rupert Graves. Liam tensed for a minute remembering Bryce’s adoration for Inspector Lestrade in Sherlock. His phone vibrated. Ignoring it he shifted in his seat. His

knee involuntarily shaking again. A few minutes later his phone went off for a third time.

“Are you alright?” Gabriel asked.

Surprised to hear Gabriel again he turned. “Yes, why?”

Gabriel ran his handkerchief over his nose causing it to flare. “Well I do not know many young people who do not check their phones the instant it goes off.” He smiled slightly. “Plus you have been fidgeting for quite some time. I noticed it after you sat down.”

Liam opened his mouth but then thought better. He pulled his cell from his pocket sliding the screen open. Three messages, all from Bryce.

Annoyed Liam decided not to read them thrusting his phone back in his pocket. God he needed a cigarette.

Liam looked back at Gabriel who was not doing a good job of hiding the curiosity on his face. Liam shook his head. “Nothing, stupid ex is all.”

Don't be afraid Cecilia I'm the satellite.

“Oh.” Gabriel said in a rather somber voice. “Well here’s to the brokenhearted.” He raised an imaginary glass.

The gesture actually brought a smile to Liam’s face.

What an odd person. He thought. Whereas Bryce was his age, brash, enjoyed dying his hair an obnoxiously loud color every few weeks, partied and was generally loud and annoying, the person sitting across from him could not have been anymore opposite. Gabriel looked like that weird uncle you have at family dinner.

“So what brings you to my neck of the woods?” Gabriel asked dabbing at his nose. “You do not look like you are much of a country person.”

Before Liam could answer Gabriel turned away.

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

Heh..heh...eischoooo!

“Excuse me, sorry.” Gabriel cleared his throat; Liam was starting to hear a slight strain in it as well.

“Bless you. I’m not.” Liam really did not feel like going into the reasons for his trip with someone he had just met. “It’s...” Right on cue his phone vibrated again. Liam squeezed his eyes shut massaging his forehead with his right hand. “Complicated.” He finally got out.

Gabriel held up his hands, “Understood, I should not have pried.”

Something he had said made Liam wonder, “Do you live out here?”

Gabriel’s eyes turned briefly but then he looked back at Liam, “During school yes, in the summer if I am not teaching or during holidays, I live in the city. But as I am here most of the year I consider it home.” He sniffed holding his handkerchief to his nose. He shut his eyes. His voice hitched but he maintained a grip on the sneeze. Satisfied that he had avoided it Gabriel continued. “Though I am not sure why, the spring and fall are horrendous on my allergies and the heat at my place does not always come on. But it is peaceful.”

And that’s what I need. Liam thought. “It sounds nice, well aside from the allergens and heat issue.”

The train whistle blew an overhead voice announced they would be arriving in a few minutes. “If I was not feeling so horribly I would offer to show you around.” Gabriel sighed, “But I plan on going to my room and sleeping.”

The train pulled into the station, Gabriel rose collecting his briefcase and stuffing his handkerchief back in his coat pocket. Liam went back to his original seat grabbing his bag from the other chair.

“Thank you for keeping me company, Liam.” Gabriel smiled slightly. “I do hope I did not get you sick.”

Liam shook his head, “I’ll be fine. I hope you feel better Gabriel.”

For some reason Liam could have sworn he saw Gabriel blush but decided it was just his imagination.

“Thank you.” Gabriel replied as walked to the door tripping slightly. Liam smiled and was quite sure he heard Gabriel sneeze one last time before he exited.

Liam was surprised a town this small actually had a train station, must be due to tourism he thought. He was barely out of the station which was nothing more than a small wooden building with a ticket window, when he pulled his last cigarette from his pack. Grabbing his lighter from his pocket he held it with one hand the other shielding the air as he walked so the cigarette would lite. As soon as it sparked Liam took a much needed drag. Exhaling the smoke he started down the street.

If I could fly. Then I would know. What life looks like from up above and down below.

The village of Prim had an old world charm to it. Most of the streets were cobblestone, there were very few cars, and Liam had counted more dogs than cars. The buildings on what Liam determined to be the main road all were stone with shingle style roofs all lined up next to each other. All the windows had wooden shutters.

The lady at the train station had directed him to his housing, it was along next to a group of row houses two streets back from the main road. Rock walls lined the sides of narrow stone street. Liam was not even sure a car could have fit. One thing he had noticed was a distinct lack of people, for that he was grateful. He looked at the address he had been given matching it to a quaint tan brick house which sat in a neat little garden, a pebble path way led up from the street.

And you're the sky.

It might have been light years from the city but at this point Liam was more relaxed than he had been in months.

~~~~

Yay/nay? Continue?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yay! I think you should continue. I'd like to know what happens with these two. I love the set up with cold ridden Gabriel living in the country with his allergies and crummy heating. Poor thing!

Well since everyone seemed to like it (yay thank you!!!) here's part 2.

~~~~

Part 2: Little Talks

Next morning Liam packed his laptop and headed into town. Prim was listed as a village but it was home to nearly five thousand people. Liam found even with its quaint attire it did have some modern amenities. There were a few coffee shops, a small grocery store, a bar, places to eat, several shops of knickknacks, touristy things. Plus a small post office. Liam was more interested in finding a wifi signal. He pulled his black hoodie up; autumn was in full swing now, no more semi warm days.

Liam looked at his phone noticing a wifi alert coming from a nearby cafe which wasn’t too far from where he was staying. Praying it wasn’t password protected he entered. The door gave a clichéd ding as the bell rang. Cafe was one room, with a small counter along the left side and seating everywhere else. There was a staircase in back behind the counter. The owners clearly lived above. Inside was sparse, maybe ten tables, and all had a vase with a fake plastic flower sticking out of it. Liam did not mind, one the wifi was not protected as he logged in via his phone and two, there were no other people inside. As he placed his laptop on a table in the back an older woman came out.

“Need something to warm you up hun?” It took Liam a split second to realize she was talking to him. “Uh, not yet.” he said quickly.

“Ok just yell when you decide.”

Flipping open his laptop he waited a moment for it to warm up. Though he was technically on sabbatical he had promised Cordy he would write if he felt like it. Problem was he felt more like having a cigarette than writing. Liam enjoyed the peace though; it was early, maybe a bit past 7am. That’s what came with insomnia; you could easily get up any hour of the morning. Liam finally ordered a latte; it was not bad either considering it appeared to have been made with the oldest cappuccino machine ever. He occasionally heard the bell on the door chime, over the music playing in his ear buds, not paying attention to anyone who happened to come in. As long as they did not sit near him he did not care.

Bell rung again.

“Professor Herondale, good morning!” Liam heard the lady behind the counter say. He peeked up from his monitor and laid eyes on the man he’d shared a train compartment with. Liam smirked; today the professor wore a three piece tan suit complete with vest which Liam saw briefly as he pulled his black coat back removing a handkerchief from his pocket. He couldn’t see if he had a bowtie or not, since his neck was covered by the same scarf he had worn on the train. Liam bet bowtie as he removed one ear bud.

Liam watched him catch a sneeze in his handkerchief before responding.

Eeeeschooo!

“Excuse me, sorry. Good morning Millicent, Grace. Black coffee please.”

Grace ended up being what Liam concluded as the granddaughter of the older lady and probably the reason this place had wifi to begin with. She was definitely college age and given her giant grin as she looked at Gabriel she was a fan.

“Here Professor.” Grace set the coffer on the counter her enthusiasm caused Liam to roll his eyes.

“Thank you,” He responded his voice heavier than before. “I’ll see you for Western Literature correct?”

“Yes, at 1:00.” Grace looked like a puppy in a store trying to impress a potential buyer. Liam moved his gaze back to Gabriel. It was clear he was not over his cold from the train. Even from his seat near the back Liam could see Gabriel’s nose was still pretty red, he looked a bit pale as well but he had just come in from outside. Liam shrugged it off.

“A cold or allergies today, Professor?” Liam heard Millicent ask.

Liam saw Gabriel give an embarrassed smile, “Oh you know me, it’s always a bit of both.” As Gabriel went to pick up his coffee a folder he had been holding under his arm against his body fell to the floor.

“Blast it.” Liam watched Gabriel bend down to retrieve his papers.

“Do you need any help Professor?” Grace said in a way too eager to help tone which made Liam’s teeth hurt.

“No I’m fine. But thank you.” Gabriel’s voice quickened. Liam was positive he was going to sneeze again.

Heh..heh...eischoooo!

Gabriel got his arm up just in time.

“Bless you! Will you be okay for class today?” Grace asked.

Gabriel nodded “Excuse me, sorry. Yes I’ll be fine.” He stuck the folder back under his arm which held the briefcase grabbing the coffee with the other. “Good day ladies.”

This guy reeks of proper etiquette. Liam mused as he watched Professor Herondale leave.

Gabriel Herondale. Nice name.

“Isn’t he just super-hot?” Grace said to no one in particular. Liam nearly choked on his latte.

“Grace Katherine!” Her grandmother looked appalled. “He’s old enough to be your father.”

Grace replied but Liam replaced his ear bud as to block out her annoying voice. He watched as both of them went into the back again leaving him the only person in the cafe. He stretched, arched his back then stood up since he had been sitting for a while. Twisting his back Liam noticed something on the floor under a table. Walking over it was Gabriel’s handkerchief. Liam titled his head. He had anxiety but was not germophobic, still the idea of picking it up did not sit well with him. Liam noticed napkins on the counter; he grabbed one, unfolded it and used that to shield his hand from the hanky, sticking it into his pocket, napkin side out. The idea that Gabriel was miserable and obviously needed this also did not sit well with him. He packed up his laptop swinging his bag over his shoulder. Threw a few dollars on the table and decided today he would explore Davenport College.

Had he not been looking for it, Liam was sure would have simply walked by the college. There were malls bigger than this place. The entire estate was surrounded by a rock wall that Liam deemed had been there since the beginning of time. The college itself was only made up of about 8-10 total buildings, all nested within several yards of each other. Several were red brick, with a few bricks missing. Liam walked by a small building whose cornerstone said 1855. Giving a quick glance around Liam did not see Gabriel. Two students walked by him, Liam went to ask but his voice locked as tightness gripped his chest. Quickly he whipped out his cigarettes, lighting one. He took a quick drag, exhaled then put his hands behind his back.

“Excuse me!” He called to the girls, who both turned. “Hi…umm..do you know where Ga…Professor Herondale’s office is?” The taller blonde girl pointed to a old two-story brick building up the path directly to his left.

“He’s in the basement, poor guy.” The girl added. Liam was not sure what that meant but thanked her quickly turning to take another hit. He managed to finish the cigarette before he entered. The inside faired a bit better than the outside. He managed to find the staircase at the end of the hall.

Liam walked down the stairs into a dimly lit hallway. There were doors on either side, none of them were labeled. He was not sure how he would find Gabriel.

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

Well that was easy. He rounded a corner which came to dead end, one door on the right side which was cracked open.

Liam peeked through the crack to see Gabriel standing several feet from the door the back of his hand pressed firmly against his nose.

Heh’tsooooo!

“Bloody hell, where did I put it?” Liam watched Gabriel frantically search his pockets. His voice sounded congested and strained.

Liam tapped on the door pushing it open. The older man jumped knocking over a pile of books near his feet. Clearly he was not expecting visitors.

"Sorry!" Liam felt bad for scaring him. Upon inspection he deemed Gabriel pretty close to his height, around 5’10”.

Gabriel put his hands up, "It’s fine, fine." He now looked at Liam in the doorway giving him a curious face like he was trying to place where he had seen him. “From the train...” His forehead wrinkled. “You would think I would be better with names.” His voice hitched he quickly turned away.

Tsk’tschoo

Eh’tschoo

Into the back of his hand again. “Excuse me...” Gabriel wasn’t able to finish.

Eh’tschoo

Eh’tschoo

Heh..Eh’tschoo

Liam stepped forward holding out the handkerchief “Liam.”

Liam swore Gabriel let out a little squeal upon see what was in his hand but decided he had imagined. “Oh thank you!” He barely got out.

Tsk’tschoo!

Gabriel blew his nose wetly into the handkerchief looking mildly embarrassed. “I only brought the one today, normally I have a backup.” He coughed slightly.

“You dropped it in the cafe.” Liam’s gaze started wandering around Gabriel’s office.

Gabriel sighed, “Of course I did.” He sniffed. “Again thank you...”

“Liam.” He repeated.

“Liam.” Gabriel looked intently at him as if wielding the name and face together. “Liam. Got it.” He rubbed his nose with the handkerchief. “Welcome to the dungeon. Dust allergy suffers worst nightmare.”

That’s what she meant. “This is your office?” Liam asked still looking around. The room was pretty small, a desk left of the middle, with two bookcases behind it and two more on the left wall. All were crammed top to bottom with not only books but papers and binders. An old touch tone phone sat on the desk next to a lamp which might have had the first light bulb ever produced in it. Another light hung from the ceiling. Books were also stacked around the desk and really in every corner of the small area. A chair, which Liam did not trust to sit on, the only other piece of furniture in the room.

Gabriel nodded stifling another sneeze. “It is not used during the summer months so everything settles, not very well ventilated as you would imagine. Hopefully the cleaners will come by soon. What?” He coughed out that word.

“Nothing, I just keep waiting for Doc and Marty to show up and tell me I’ve gone back to 1955.” He threw a laugh at Gabriel who stared blankly back. “You’ve never seen Back To The Future?” Liam asked a bit shocked.

“No.” Gabriel said quietly his cheeks reddened.

“Seriously?” He laughed. “I really must be in 1955.” Liam added offhandedly, he had meant it as a joke but looking at Gabriel, the older man had not taken it that way.

“Sorry! I often talk before I think. I hadn’t meant for it to sound like that.” Liam apologized nervously.

Gabriel relaxed, “No I was being oversensitive, I’ve been told I do that. No harm.”

“Yeah you told me, on the train.” Liam added when it was clear Gabriel did not remember.

“You remembered that?” He sounded impressed.

“Writer.” Liam answered, “I need to remember details.”

“What do you...oh no” Gabriel broke off turning his back to Liam.

Tsk’tschoo

Tsk’tschoo

Eh’tschoo

Ah..ehtshscoo

Liam had never seen someone sneeze this much before. “Are you okay?” Stupid question.

Liam did not believe Gabriel when he saw him nod. “I’ll be fine, just waiting for the allergy pill I took to start working. This on top of my cold. Not a great way to start the school year Gabe.” He blew his nose again which triggered another intense cough.

“Oh dear.” Gabriel said putting his hand against his chest. He then pulled out a pocket watch from his vest pocket. “And I don’t have time to get it.” He coughed again; Liam heard a distinct wheeze come from the professor.

“Something wrong?” Another stupid question.

“It seems I also forgot my inhaler, it’s on my kitchen table in my apartment.” Gabriel put his hand to his temple.

An inhaler too, this guy has it rough. Liam thought.

“Sadly I don’t have time to..”

Eh’tschoo

Heh..Eh’tschoo

“Time...to”

Tsk’tschoo

Heh’sk’tschoo

“Time to run get it yourself” Liam felt obligated to finish the sentence for the poor guy. Gabriel nodded wiping his red rimmed eyes with the back of his hand. “I’ll do it.” Liam said.

“You would?” Gabriel looked generally stunned.

Liam shrugged, “You need it right? Just tell me where to go.” He waited on Gabriel who still appeared to be registering his offer. “So...”

Gabriel finally jerked back to reality getting his keys from his coat pocket. He tossed them to Liam but missed hitting the door behind. “Sorry.” He winced, cheeks turning pink for a second. “The building directly across from this one.”

Eh’tschoo

“I really appreciate this, Liam.” His breathing sounded very pained.

“Apartment number?” Liam asked quickly putting his laptop bag down as Gabriel sat on the corner of the desk now physically bent over trying to catch his breath

“Third floor, 302.” The professor wheezed out. “Thank you.”

Liam did not even hear the last part, after the number he was sprinting back up the stairs, out the door and across the small field toward the red brick building directly ahead of him. Pulling back so he would not physically crash into the door, Liam pulled the knob, surprised it actually opened. Apparently the outside door did not lock. Skipping every other step he arrived in front of 302. Looking down at Gabriel’s keys there were only three. Second time was the charm as the he pushed open to one of the smallest apartment he’d ever seen.

I’ve seen dorm rooms bigger. Liam searched for the inhaler on the table which was covered with all different kinds of store bought and prescription medicines for whatever ailment you could think of. Allergy relief for general allergies, another box for just seasonal, cough medicine, pain killers, every major brand medicine for relief of cold, fever, flu, etc. and a few brands he had never heard of. It was like an in home pharmacy.

This guy... Liam had to move a few things before he saw the inhaler. He stuck it in his hoodie pocket also grabbing a handkerchief which was still inside the packaging. As he turned to leave something caught his eye, a picture, one of the few in the small room sat on a table next to the door. Liam peered down at it. The photo was of Gabriel, looking a bit younger, and another dark haired man. Scene looked like it had been taken at a beach. Liam studied the photo briefly. Even given the possible beach setting Gabriel’s nose had a hint of red to it. Allergies maybe. But what got Liam was his smile. It was bright, full of life. Whoever was with Gabriel in his photo obviously made him happy. Liam did not understand why a lump had formed in his chest just from a picture.

If I could fly. Then I would know. What life looks like from up above and down below.” Liam sung the lyrics to himself. Making sure the door locked, Liam grabbed a breath then ran back to the dungeon, he found Gabriel still sitting on the desk hunched over, his breathing short and shallow.

“Here.” Liam held out the inhaler, Gabriel squeaked a relief sigh, pressing the inhaler’s medicine into his constricted lungs. After two deep breaths Gabriel’s breathing began to ease. He closed his eyes; Liam saw small beads of sweat around his temples.

“Thank you.” He finally said turning to Liam. “That feels much better.” Liam also noted Gabriel’s allergy medicine must have kicked in, he did not sound as congested.

“It was nothing, I’m just glad you feel better.” Liam replied lightly, Gabriel looked mildly flustered.

“Two encounters so far and I’ve not been at my best at either.” Gabriel ran his hand through his grey hair, messing it.

“Well we all have our off days.” Liam really was trying to lighten the mood.

“You saw my kitchen table correct?” Gabriel looked at Liam out of the corner of his eye. “I don’t really have ‘on’ days.”

Liam swallowed not sure how to respond. Gabriel shook his head as if trying to shake his last comment off. He pulled his watch out.

“Blast, I have to get class.” He stuck his watch, handkerchief and inhaler in his pockets. “Thank you again Liam. I’m sorry...I’m sorry for causing you trouble.” He threw his coat on.

Liam smiled, “Hey it’s nothing, I’m sure anyone would have done it.”

He saw Gabriel pause momentarily while putting his scarf on. “Now that is where you would be wrong.” He said not looking at Liam.

Liam did not like the look on Gabriel’s face, the sad expression reminded him of that of a child who had a birthday party and no one came. “Gabriel.”

“Sorry I really must go, I should have left five minutes ago.” He barely got his handkerchief back out of his pocket.

Eeh...eischoooo!

Eh..ehheh...eischoooo!

“And we’re back to cold sneezes. Stupendous.” He walked past Liam who had just pulled his laptop bag back on. Liam stepped into the hall so Gabriel could lock the door.

Liam followed the professor, who sneeze three more times before they even reached the outside door. He paused to blow his nose. “It seems my cold medicine has also worn off.” He sighed.

“Do you need more?” Liam asked, but Gabriel shook his head.

“I have some in my briefcase; I try to always be prepared.” He blew his nose again. “This is ironic considering I forgot my inhaler and did not bring an extra handkerchief.” He gave a tired laugh.

Suddenly Liam stuck his hand in his hoodie pocket. “I forgot I grabbed this for you while I was at your place.” He held up the handkerchief in package.

The relief on Gabriel’s face caught Liam off guard; such little things seem to make the professor happy. “Oh thank you...again.” He took the package sticking it in his pocket. He then turned to Liam, “I owe you but I really must go my students will think I’m too sick to have class.” He started backing up, “But I’ll make it up to you. Thank you Liam.” He turned and broke into a brisk walk. Liam just watched him until he got to the steps of a building which said “Baker Hall” in brick then watched him go inside.

I'd keep you safe. I'd keep you dry. Don't be afraid Cecilia I'm the satellite

Then Liam turned, smile on his face and headed back to town.

TBC

~~~~

Next part, sorry there's not a lot of sneezing I decided poor Gabriel needed a break after part 2 so this is more him being awkward (which I really enjoy writing).

~~~~

Part 3: OK Computer

It has rained relentlessly the next day so Liam stayed in his housing not venturing out until the following morning. The air felt damp as Liam walked avoiding the few remaining puddles. He hoped the coffee shop would be open; it was just after 6:00am. He had actually slept a few hours thanks to the calming sound of the rain, but jerked awake around 4:00am and been slowly passing the time since. The sun was just barely showing; a few people were out on the street heading to work. Early risers needed coffee he figured.

The inside light appeared to be on but that did not mean the cafe was open, there was no sign in the window. He pulled on the door and let out a relieved exhale when it opened. He was more surprised to find another patron inside already, but she was sitting next to the window so Liam went to the back table he had used before. Today he had brought his charger since he had noticed a plug in the wall.

He flipped open his laptop, ordered a latte as it booted up, sat with his earbuds in and started working. Well it wasn’t really working; he logged into Skype but kept his status as invisible since he noticed Bryce was on. He did want to talk to Cordy though but she would not be on until afternoon. He searched for some designs, read some new articles on Cordy’s and other blogs, trying to get a small spark of inspiration on what to write. He had logged some notes while inside yesterday, he was about to open a file when he became aware someone was next to him.

He glanced up to see Gabriel, looking a bit flustered. “Gabriel? Sorry have you been standing there long?” Now it was Liam’s turn to fluster as he removed his earbuds. “Sometimes this thing sucks in all my attention.” He half motioned to his laptop.

“Actually I just got here so you’re fine.” Was it Liam’s imagination or did Gabriel sound better. He definitely looked better, except for his nose. Liam wondered if it was permanently red.

“Oh here sit, well if you have time.” Liam moved his laptop over. Gabriel nodded thanks, setting down his coffee. He removed his coat laying it over an unused chair. Brown tweed jacket, blue bowtie.

Cordy would be losing it right now. Liam thought of his employer’s fondness for the Eleventh Doctor. He let out a tiny laugh which he hoped Gabriel would take as a cough.

“How are you doing?” He asked.

“Fine, I recuperated from my cold.” Gabriel replied as he sat down.

“Good!” Liam realized he said that a bit too enthusiastically but Gabriel did not seem to notice.

“I...I wanted to thank you again for the other day. You didn’t have to do all that for me. But you did and I appreciate it.” Gabriel seemed agitated; he would not even look at Liam. “I’d like to repay you if possible; can I buy you a coffee?”

Before Liam could answer Skype alerted to an incoming call. Frantically Liam clicked cancel. He already knew who it was.

“What was that?” Gabriel gave the laptop a confused look.

“Skype, I’m not going to answer it.” Liam replied minimizing the chat.

“Answer what?” Gabriel asked.

“Skype.” Liam said again wondering if Gabriel had just not heard him. The blank stare on the professor's face made it clear there was a difference between hearing and understanding. “Never mind, not important. Coffee you say?”

He was not an avid coffee drinker but if his new acquaintance wanted to repay him he wasn’t going to say no. Gabriel returned with a latte, giving his watch a quick glance.

“I’m not keeping you right?” Liam asked taking a drink.

“No my first class isn’t for another hour,” Gabriel shrugged, “But I’m not always the best with time, it gets away from me.”

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey. Liam hid his expression behind his cup.

Liam’s phone suddenly rang, nearly making him drop his latte. He quickly ignored the call, switching it to vibrate. He wanted nothing to do with Bryce this morning. He set the phone on the table and turned his attention back to Gabriel who sat legs crossed looking amused. “And people wonder why I don’t have one.”

In retrospect the comment should not have surprised Liam but he still gave a brief jaw drop. “You don’t have a phone?”

Gabriel sniffed, “Oh I have a phone, two actually.”

“I meant a cell. How do you communicate with people?”

“I am talking aren’t I?” Gabriel smiled rubbing his nose quickly.

“Funny.” Liam said dryly.

“I do own a computer, nothing like what you have though.” Gabriel’s breath quickened.

“You do? Figured you as a typewriter person.” The words escaped his mouth but amazingly Gabriel did not react.

“I have that too.” He said nonchalantly.

Of course. Liam was not sure what shocked him more the no cell phone or the computer comment. “Is your computer a desktop?”

Gabriel looked confused, “I can’t take it with me if that’s what you mean. Not that I need too I only use it for Word Processing and email.”

“You have email?” Liam laughed then immediately regretted it seeing Gabriel’s frown. “Sorry, spoke before I thought.” Ok so maybe it’s the laughing that sets him off.

“I do.” Gabriel replied stiffly. “It’s the best way to notify students when class is cancelled due to... unforeseen circumstances.” He cleared his throat.

Translation; when you’re sick. He noticed the professor looking at his sleeve.

“It says Avenged Sevenfold,” He pulled the material tight making the text easier to read. “It’s a band.” He continued answering Gabriel’s clueless look. “I got it several years ago at a concert, might have been the Warped Tour.” He shrugged.

“I’ll just pretend to know what that means.” Gabriel replied looking uncomfortable again.

“It’s a concert where a lot of bands play like Lollap...like Woodstock was.” Liam figured if Gabriel hadn’t heard of Woodstock he was officially beyond help.

“Oh ok.” Gabriel seemed to make the connection. Liam watched him rub his nose again. It appeared even though he was over his cold his poor nose still gave him trouble. “I haven’t been to a concert in years, too many airborne issues for me.”

“Yeah I don’t go to many either but I like this band a lot and some friends went.” Liam did not want to get into his anxiety about people just yet.

His Skype made another beep; Liam hit the cancel button again. Damnit Bryce I’m Invisible stop trying to call. Suddenly he needed a cigarette.

“I saw AWOLNation last year,” He forced himself back to the conversation. “What concert did you go too?” Liam bit his lip in anticipation.

Gabriel gave his what Liam now deemed his trademark embarrassed glance, “I saw Paul Simon back in the 1980s.” He said quietly.

Liam was impressed; he had expected something more out of left field. “That’s cool. I like him, as a solo artist and also with Garfunkel.”

Apparently now it was Gabriel’s turn to be surprised. “I have very eclectic taste when it comes to music.” Liam replied, he turned his laptop screen showing the professor his music playlist. “Game time. I’ll buy the next coffee if you look at this list and recognize at least one band.”

Gabriel gave him a quizzical look but then half shrugged and leaned forward removing a pair of black frame glasses from his jacket pocket. Liam’s heart fluttered a split second as the professor stuck them on his forever red nose and looked at the screen. By the look on his face he was not confident in winning.

“If you need me to scroll let me know.” Liam said finger on his touch pad.

“Umm okay.” Liam got the distinct feeling Gabriel had no idea what he meant so he scrolled very slowly.

“Oh there, Rolling Stones.” Gabriel replied cheerfully removing his glasses. Liam looked, Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil.

“Ok double or nothing, that was too easy. Everyone knows them.” Liam clicked a few things changing the list up and hiding any songs by The Beatles. “Now try.”

Gabriel exhaled donning his glasses again. He stared at the screen making odd expressions as he read over some of the names. “Barenaked...Ladies?”

Liam turned bright red, “It’s a band! I swear it’s a band.” Gabriel threw an amused looked at him while giving his nose a quick rub. Another minute went by; Liam was starting to think he was going to win.

“Coldplay.” Gabriel said quietly.

“Hey you did it, well next coffee is on me then...Gabriel?” A pained sullen expression graced the older man’s face. “You okay?”

Gabriel did not appear to hear him, before Liam could do anything his Skype call alert beeped loudly again. “Damn it to hell Bryce!” Liam swore smacking his touch pad switching his status to Offline which he should have done much earlier.

Liam ran both hands through his hair massaging the top of his head trying to control the craving that had just reappeared. He heard a soft throat clear.

Shit.

Liam looked up, the sullen look on Gabriel’s face was gone as were his glasses replaced with concern and though Liam hoped it was wrong, fear. A quick glance around the room showed no one else. At least he had only an ass of himself in front of one person.

If I could fly. Then I would know. What life looks like from up above and down below.

“My pain in the ass editor.” Liam said to the table top. “Sorry I should not have done that.”

Liam looked up to see Gabriel running his hand through his hair looking perplexed. “Liam, I guess I’m confused. This program you have...Sky?"

“Skype.” Liam corrected.

“Skype. I’m not going to pretend I understand it but if you don’t want this Bryce person to bother you, why are you using the program?”

Liam sighed, it was a valid question. “I need it for work. I’m a freelance writer so I normally write from my loft. Skype allows me to message or call people. I send Bryce updates or whatever. He’s also....he’s also the reason I’m here.”

“He’s your ex?” Gabriel’s tone was understanding, Liam really appreciate it plus he was glad Gabriel apparently remembered parts of their train conversation.

“He was...a mistake, a big mistake. Sadly I still have to work with the…” Liam held his tongue from his original word choice “…jerk.” He gave an uncomfortable throat clear.

“That must be hard.” Gabriel said quietly. Neither spoke for what to Liam felt like an eternity. He knew Gabriel would have to leave for class soon and did not want Bryce to ruin his time with the professor whose company Liam was really enjoying.

The silence finally broke as Gabriel’s sensitive nose finally got the better of him. Liam watched him inhale sharply.

Eeeeschoooo!

Tsk’choo

“Excuse me. And I’d been doing so well this morning.” He sighed.

“Bless you. I hope your cold isn’t coming back.” Liam relieved when Gabriel shook his head.

“It’s not, amazingly I know the difference between cold, allergy and Gabe’s miserable nose sneezes.” He looked away, “those were the latter.”

“Umm good then?” Liam did not really know how to react but internally giggling at how Gabriel sometimes referred to himself in third person.

Gabriel shrugged, “Problem is once it gets started it’s hard...for...me..too...” His voice hitched, he quickly pulled a handkerchief from his front pocket covering his mouth.

Eh’tschoo

Ah..ehtshscoo

“Stop.” He said into his handkerchief. “Excuse me.”

“Bless you and you don’t have to keep saying that.” Liam offered a smile.

Gabriel gave his trademark look, “Ok.” He stuffed his handkerchief back into his pocket and looked at his watch. He said nothing but Liam could tell he internally cursed.

“I..uh..remember what I said about time?” Gabriel grabbed his coat. Liam watched the professor gather his things, a sinking pit feeling in his stomach still from his outburst.

“Will you be alright?” Gabriel was looking down at him, his coat and scarf on.

Liam flashed a fake smile, “Oh yeah, fine. If he starts again I’ll just block him.”

Gabriel looked confused, “I’ll assume that’s a good thing.” He grabbed his briefcase, “Enjoy your day Liam.” He smiled and left but not before sneezing once more into his elbow.

Liam watched him leave, leaned hard back against the chair cursing Bryce’s name. He turned Skype on.

I was busy and I’m a sabbatical what the hell you do want? His hands type angrily.

Where the fuck have you been? You need to give me something, or else Chase is making me edit for Sarah. I can’t handle that shit.

Liam laughed. Sarah was an Anime blogger who often did stuff for Cordelia. Bryce detested Anime.

Sorry again been busy, if I get something I’ll let Cordy know.

How have you been busy? You’re in the middle of Nowhere City, Nowhere.

I’m signing off now Bryce.

He didn’t even wait for the reply, just quit Skype and shut off his laptop. He’d had enough today.

Coldplay. The look on Gabriel’s face was burned into his mind. He had wanted to ask but it was obvious Gabriel was a pretty private person. Plus he had just met the guy, no need to be prying into the poor guy's personal life.

When you try your best but you don’t succeed. Liam quickly shook the lyrics from his head.

Liam threw his bag over his shoulder and walked up to the counter. Grace was behind it, she greeted him with an overly toothy grin.

“Does G...Professor Herondale com here every morning for coffee?” He inquired.

“Yep, well everyday he has class; I don’t think he has classes on Fridays this year.” Her voice annoyed Liam but he kept the fake smile on his face.

“And what does he get?” Liam had a good idea but wanted confirmation.

“Always black coffee, usually a medium.” Grace replied.

Liam reached for his wallet. “And how much is that normally?”

“$2.50 tax included.”

Liam did some quick math, and then tossed a ten dollar bill on the counter. “His next four are on me then.” He saw Grace’s surprised look. “And don’t tell him I did this.” Liam turned and headed out the door.

TBC

~~~~

Thoughts? Comments? There will be more sneezing/allergy/whatnot stuff next time though :)

Aww this is so cute, and yet... I dunno, so real? This whole clashing of two worlds thing... Idk, I just love it. You're really good at this!

This story is really engaging. I can't wait to learn more about Gabe. I love their interactions. Keep writing!

Small update, I write weirdly, I have a ton written but I need to connect this part with the next. Enjoy, comments/feedback always welcome.

~~~~

Part 4: Blue Eyes

“You didn’t need to buy my coffee.” Gabriel said nervously. Liam smiled at the professor who today wore a pale blue sweater under a darker grey jacket. Liam noted the blue really made Gabriel’s eyes stand out.

“You won the bet.” Liam said not adding that he had paid for more days worth.

He watched as Gabriel shifted uncomfortably. “It’s just; I’m not used to people doing that for me. But thank you.” He added hastily before sneezing.

Eh’tschoo!

Poor guy. Liam thought, Gabriel was into double digits just in the short time he and Liam had been sitting together.

“It looks like it’s going to be one of those days.” He sighed sipping his coffee.

“Allergies again?” Liam wondered.

“No, my nose is just...well...” Gabriel look down, his cheeks reddened, “it’s much like my personality. A little oversensitive.” He looked thoroughly embarrassed. “I’ve um...” He cleared his throat, “I’ve had bad sinuses since childhood, just got worse as I got older.”

Liam really felt for the older man now. Even when he was not sick or having allergy issues he was still miserable thanks to his sinuses.

“So you don’t just have seasonal allergies?” Liam tested to see how in depth Gabriel would go into his problem.

Gabriel scoffed, “If I only had seasonal allergies my life would be a lot better.” Liam also heard a bitter tone he was not used too. Gabriel brought his handkerchief back out.

Eeh...eischoooo!

He gave his nose a quick blow and continued. “Along with the normal outdoor allergies I’m horribly allergic to cats.” Gabriel rolled his eyes as if he was remembering a particularly bad memory. “Dogs too but not as bad. I can’t be around anything fragrant or anything that I might perceive as an irritant. Dust obviously, you saw that. Perfume, cologne, cigarette or cigar smoke.” He sighed, “Sometimes even strong smelling soap or hand lotion bothers me. I can’t go into flower shops or stores that sell scented candles.” He took a sip of coffee.

Liam made a mental note about the cigarette smoke. He watched as Gabriel rubbed his nose hard causing it to flare even redder than normal. “Cold or dry air too, that’s probably my issue today. Who knows?” He propped his chin up with his hand looking mildly dejected.

Liam felt guilty; it obviously was not something the professor liked discussing. “Sorry, I shouldn’t have brought it up.” Gabriel waved him off.

“At least you asked, most people just give me weird looks. I have to start every semester asking my students not to wear any type of fragrant body spray, perfume, strong hand lotion, what not. Most understand, I sometimes have a few who forget. Then I have the delinquents who like to prank me.” He said with a heavy sigh.

Now it was Liam turned to look confused. “Sorry I’m not following.”

Gabriel half shrugged, “Kids spray perfume in my classroom when I’m not there or hide candles in my office and wait to see my reaction.” Gabriel rubbed his nose again. “Hasn’t happened in a few years since last time I reacted so badly I had to be hospitalized.”

Liam’s jaw drop, “Oh my god, Gabriel!” What really pissed him off is what Gabriel described sounded exactly like something Bryce would do. He loved to play on people's weakness like picking at an open wound.

“Water under the bridge, Liam.” He said as his breathing quickened. He turned away sneezing into his handkerchief.

Eischoooo!

Eh’tschoo!

Liam was starting to realize Gabriel was not looking too well. He did admit it was hard to tell given his complexion but today the professor had dark lines under his eyes. Liam a bit embarrassed that he had not noticed earlier when admiring Gabriel’s eyes.

“Gabriel are you feeling okay?” Liam asked. Gabriel returned a listless look then seemed to snap back to reality.

He flushed horribly, “I’m sorry Liam, I’m being a bit of a downer aren’t I. That was not my intention. I’ve been dealing with whatever’s bothering me since last night so I didn’t sleep too well.” He sat back up straight, sticking his handkerchief in his pocket and absentmindedly running his hand through his grey hair.

“I guess it would have been easier for me to ask what you’re not allergic too.” Liam smiled at him.

“Peanut butter.” Gabriel said offhandedly a small smile graced his face.

Liam momentarily forgot the professor was capable of making jokes. He laughed shaking his head. “Well I can’t eat shellfish which sucks because I love seafood.”

Gabriel stifled a laugh, “So no shrimp cocktails for you?” He sipped his coffee.

“Not unless you want to see me break out in hives.” Liam replied as the alarm on his phone went off.

“That’s not that Bryce person again is it?” Gabriel looked confused.

“Ah no, it’s the alarm on my phone, I set it so you wouldn’t have to worry about time getting away from you.” Liam found Gabriel’s expression of puzzlement, probably on how a phone could do that, and awkwardness the only thanks he wanted.

“I..” Gabriel paused, Liam wondered if he’d upset him somehow. “Thank you.” He finally said not looking at Liam.

“I had to guess on the time so I could be really off.” Liam said as Gabriel pulled out his watch giving a hint of a smile.

“You’re pretty close.” Gabriel put his watch back, “At least I won’t be rushing like normal.” He rose grabbing his coat, “So phones can have alarms on them?” He asked looking oddly interested.

“One of the many features. Thinking of getting one now?” Liam asked optimistically as Gabriel put on his coat.

“Heavens no!” Gabriel laughed, “I can barely use my computer.” His breath quickened, he pushed his nose against his sleeve.

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

Gabriel held the position for another few seconds; Liam assumed he was fighting off any more attempts.

Hhh...Heh..Hnh’tschoo!

“Bless you Professor.” Someone shouted. Liam saw Gabriel wince.

“Tha-nk you.” He half stuttered over his shoulder. As he turned back, Gabriel knocked the coffee cup over. “Oh sorry! It should be empty.” He flustered.

Liam grabbed it, tossing it into the trash behind him. “No harm no foul. Have a good day Gabriel.”

Gabriel returned the pleasantries and left.

Liam sat staring at the door for several minutes. This was the third conversation that had partaken with Gabriel and he had not even been here a week. At this point he knew more about the professor then some of his “friends” back in Newhaven. Liam turned his attention back to his laptop as his Skype window was blinking. He had made it a point to mute all sounds so Bryce would not be able to interrupt his morning with Gabriel. Against his better judgement he clicked the icon bringing up his messages. Liam sighed, ten new messages just from Bryce.

Hey

HEY!

FUCKER ANSWER!!

I know ur there...

damnit Liam!

LIAM!

Liam clicked the window closed. He wanted nothing to do with Bryce. The calm he had felt around Gabriel dispersed the second he had opened that window, he would not do Bryce the courtesy of answering.

Then I have the delinquents who like to prank me.

Liam cringed, packed up his things and left. His thoughts drifting back to Gabriel and his blue eyes.

~~~~

A little more background info on Gabriel. :) Hoping to bridge the corresponding parts soon. I'm having way too much fun with these two.

Aww poor Gabriel! I'm getting kinda worried that Bryce is going to come looking for Liam... Hey, maybe Gabriel will tell him off, heh. That'd be sweet.

“I guess it would have been easier for me to ask what you’re not allergic too.” Liam smiled at him.

“Peanut butter.” Gabriel said offhandedly a small smile graced his face.

This exchange made me smile. I love backstory and this was lovely. I am enjoying reading about these two perhaps as much as you are enjoying writing about them.

I want Bryce to go away too, Liam.

Waaah! How could I have not seen this fic before?? This is just the kind of original fiction that I live to read :lol: But, really, I'm so very, very interested in this! I can't wait to see how this develops!

Awww, the poor professor, it's like the universe wants him to be a sneezing, snivelling mess in every way possible... But now I'm imagining this random scene where Liam's smoking cause he's upset about something and Gabriel braves through an allergy fit to be there for him~ Haha!

Aww poor Gabriel! I'm getting kinda worried that Bryce is going to come looking for Liam... Hey, maybe Gabriel will tell him off, heh. That'd be sweet.

It would be sweet, hehehe.

This exchange made me smile. I love backstory and this was lovely. I am enjoying reading about these two perhaps as much as you are enjoying writing about them.

I want Bryce to go away too, Liam.

I figured with all Gabriel's issues he didnt deserve also having food allergies. Glad you enjoyed the backstory.

Loooooovvve.

Thaaaaaaanks

But now I'm imagining this random scene where Liam's smoking cause he's upset about something and Gabriel braves through an allergy fit to be there for him~ Haha!

*spoilers*

Ok posted part 5 and 6 together since part 6 isn't very long. Enjoy!

~~~~

Part 5: Shattered

Morning coffee with Gabriel became a regular routine for Liam over the next week. Gabriel met him on days he had class, it lasted roughly an hour maybe a little less depending on how late Gabriel was running. Liam always set his phone so the professor would not lose track of time. Liam admitted to himself later that Gabriel not being there on Fridays did not give him a reason for going but he was a stickler for routine just did not stay as long.

Liam found it very easy to talk to the quirky teacher about things he normally did not discuss with anyone. However he still could not bring himself to talk about his anxiety. He felt bad since Gabriel had shared so much with him. Every time he tried to work it into the conversation his craving for nicotine would surface and he would not smoke around Gabriel.

I’ll have to tell him eventually or I’ll end up having a panic attack in front of him. Liam pushed that idea from his head.

For today’s coffee Liam was nearly positive Gabriel was wearing the same three-piece grey suit he had adorned on the train ride but with a deep purple bowtie this time.

“Please? It’s fun; I promise this will be the last time I ask.” Liam smiled sweetly at the professor who sat arms crossed looking annoyed.

“Why do I always feel you’re secretly trying to embarrass me with this?” Gabriel sighed scratching his nose.

“Last time, this is the tie breaker.” Liam turned his screen so Gabriel could see the playlist. Liam had successfully gotten Gabriel to play “Spot the Band” as he now called it again the other day. Rules were simple, Liam mixed 50 different bands, Gabriel had to recognize at least one. Liam had made sure to hide Coldplay from the list. As he had won the previous round so they were tied.

“Last time.” Gabriel said sternly pulling out his glasses. Liam’s face lit up, secretly that was the reason he wanted to play the game. Gabriel seemed to need glasses anytime he looked at a screen.

Gabriel slowly read down the list. “Queen, there I win.” He said removing his glasses. Liam frowned.

“Coffee next time is on me.” He tried sounding pleasant. Truthfully he was concerned about Gabriel who seemed to be in quite the foul mood today.

“You okay?” Liam finally asked.

“Yes.” Gabriel said gruffly. “Does something always have to be wrong with me?”

Liam just stared then turned his attention back to his laptop. “No. Sorry I asked.”

Apparently Gabriel had gotten the hint as he let out a heavy sigh. “Apologies Liam, my allergist put me on new medication. She neglected to tell me one of the side effects is apparently acting querulous.”

Liam raised an eyebrow at the word. Even being a writer Liam’s vocabulary was no match for the English professor.

“Irritable.” Gabriel sighed again pinching the bridge of his nose. “Plus the fact I don’t think it’s working, I spent half the night miserable.”

“You seem fine to me.” Liam said encouragingly hoping to raise the professor’s spirits.

Gabriel simply shrugged. A few awkward minutes later, Liam’s phone alarm went off.

“Enjoy your day Liam.” Gabriel barely looked at him as he left.

“I hope you feel better Gabriel.” He responded but Gabriel was nearly out the door. Liam frowned; he could not help feel for Gabriel who probably just longed to be like everyone else. Well at least health wise. He had a sneaking suspicion Gabriel rather enjoyed not being connected to anything hence why he did not own a cell.

It was then Liam noticed his Skype blinking. Fuck.

Against his better judgement Liam clicked the message from Bryce.

Calling u tonight, 8ish. Answer.

A dull throbbing surfaced in his neck; he massaged it as best he could. He quickly packed up just so he could get outside and have a cigarette. Amazingly his latest pack had lasted much longer than any previous, he was apparently smoking less.

Liam was not surprised when 8:00 came and Bryce did not call. He was notoriously late and unlike Gabriel never apologized for it. Bryce did whatever he wanted on his time. Only Cordy seemed to have any authority over him.

Liam did not care if Bryce was five or 50 minutes late he did not wish to speak with him. When skype finally alerted him to an incoming call during his binge watch of Breaking Bad, it was well after midnight.

Liam cringed and hit video chat.

"Hey babe!" Bryce's face popped onto Liam's screen. His hair was bright orange this week. Liam held his breath slightly. As much crap Bryce had put him through, as stressful as he'd made Liam's life lately, there was no denying Bryce was stunning. Italian by heritage his skin tone was warm and flawless, paired with the deepest brown eyes Liam had ever seen. Bryce's normal hair color which Liam had only seen in pictures was black. Bryce donned an eyebrow bolt over his left eye as well as studs in both ears. At 24 his baby face often still got him carded, he barely looked 17. One of their first dates Bryce had been denied access to a club for forgetting his ID. Liam watched as Bryce wove a sob story along with flashing his immaculate smile at the doorman who finally did let him in under the pretense he would not drink. Doorman was not aware Bryce knew the bartender. Bryce was a master manipulator and hated to lose.

"You look like a pumpkin." Liam responded trying to ignore the ache in his stomach, he hated admitting he still harbored any feelings for the guy who cheated on him. “And don’t call me, babe. You cheated on me remember?”

Bryce flashed what Liam referred to as his puppy face, Liam looked away, those eyes..., “What do you want Bryce?”

“I can’t just want to see you? I’ve missed you.” Liam internally melted and cringed at the same time. Don’t listen to him, don’t listen to him.

“Which translates to Simon dumped you.” Liam replied dryly.

Bryce laughed, “Please, I threw him out like yesterday's trash; boy had no style, though he was killer in bed.”

“Goodbye Bryce.” Liam said not really meaning it.

“C’mon babe! I’m just teasing; you know you’re the best.” Bryce pouted his lips at the camera.

Liam put his hands between his knees in an effort to stop the shaking. He felt this odd combination of rage and desire. It killed him after all Bryce had done he still wanted him. His chest tightened.

“So,” Bryce continued, “You need to come back. I’ll even buy your train ticket. But this sabbatical is stupid and you know it. You’re not the country type. Come back we’ll hit up Dexter’s on Fifth or Palisades....make it Palisades, the DJ there is fucking gorgeous....”

“Bryce!” Liam looked away, he felt nauseous. He got up quickly from the couch, pulling a cigarette out. He held it in his mouth, not lighting it.

“Aww come back babe, I miss you.” Bryce’s tone had a mild sarcastic hint to it. Liam’s heart raced, his palms were sweaty but he shivered. He pulled on his hoodie, hoping that would help.

“Bryce...” Liam started before lighting his cigarette. He inhaled deeply trying to calm his nerves. “What do you want?”

“I told you,” Bryce said playfully. “I miss you.” He held the last syllable in “you”.

“If you’re just looking for a bed warmer, call Xander.” Liam was having an incredibly difficult time keeping his voice steady, he took another drag. “I know full well this behavior of yours has nothing to do with me. Simon dumped you, probably said something to Neal who told everyone down at Fifth’s and now you’re pissed. So that means its back to poor Liam and his shitty life, so you can feel better about yours and get back at Simon.” Liam was amazed he got that entire rant out without puking.

Liam was not sure what happened next except that Bryce threw a slew of cuss words at him that would have made Clint Eastwood blush. Liam returned it calling Bryce any name he could think of an a few made up ones. Liam wasn’t sure who ended the call only that he was now staring at his ceiling fighting the urge to puke again. The room spun so moving was not possible. He pulled out his phone, time was 2am. God Bryce why. Liam rolled over shivering even in his hoodie, every breath pained him.

Through all the things my eyes have seen. The best by far is you.

I’d keep you safe, I’d keep you dry. Don’t be afraid Cecilia I’m the satellite.

Liam vigorously replayed the lyrics in his head as well as sucking on another cigarette. Sleep did not come Thursday night. Friday was not faring better. Even being a stickler for routine Liam could not physically get himself off his couch to go for coffee. It didn’t matter Gabriel would not be there. So he just lay, somehow getting to the bathroom in enough time when he finally did get sick.

Damnit, why did I answer his call? Liam had asked himself this at least a thousand times by now. Bryce was the cause of his stress, the cause of most of his anxiety lately, and Liam had still hit the freaking answer button. Friday drifted into night, Liam’s insomnia finally gave him a break and he managed a few hours of dreamless sleep, his last thoughts were of Gabriel.

Part: 6 Namida

Liam was still wasn’t feeling 100% when he finally ventured out early afternoon on Saturday. He did not bother going for coffee. He took a drag to calm his still shaky nerves then flicked the ashes. He was glad the little drug store sold his brand of cigarettes, thanks to Bryce he had blown through the rest of his pack. He crushed it before going into a shop that he hoped sold outdoor gear. Liam needed gloves, apparently he’d forgotten a pair and he was sick of just sticking his hands into his hoodie pockets. Weather was cloudy and cool today but he knew it would get worse as it was nearly October.

Purchase made he didn't ask for a bag just stuck them on his hands. Fingerless so he could still use his phone or type. Exiting the shop, Liam sighed. He really did not feel like going back to his housing, oddly it felt claustrophobic to him now, so he walked along the street, avoiding anyone he passed. He had overheard a few cafe patrons talk about a river so he decided to search it out. He found the little river as he passed the post office on the corner deciding to claim a bench near the edge. One reason he loved his loft so much was the view of the waterfront. Water always had a calmly effect on him and it was healthier than smoking.

“I didn’t see you at Grace’s yesterday morning.” Liam heard a familiar voice behind him. He turned surprised to see Gabriel, who was dressed in his familiar overcoat and scarf. He did not look particularly well, the cold air inflamed his poor nose, eyes looked a bit watery and he was already holding his handkerchief.

“Gabriel? Well I...I wasn’t feeling too well yesterday.” Liam decided Gabriel would probably understand that better than anyone.

“You’re not sick are you?” Gabriel sat down looking concerned.

“Oh no, no, nothing like that.” Liam was feverishly trying to think of an explanation. “Headache. Plus I didn’t you’d be there since you don’t have class.” He was happy to see that Gabriel’s mood had improved.

“I don’t but...”

Eh’Eeeeschooo!

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

Gabriel pressed his handkerchief to his nose, not that it helped.

Nh'ghtd

Nh'xxdt

Gabriel blew his nose hard then wiped his eyes. “Sorry. Lady in the Post Office had perfume on. I was inside just...long...e...e....”

Eee’heh’tsooooo!

“Enough...to...”

Ah..ehtshscoo!

Eh’tschoo!

Eh’tschoo!

Hhh...Heh..Hnh’tschoo!

Liam watched the professor desperately try to get a handle on his allergies. Gabriel’s eyes were squeezed shut as he seemed to will himself not to sneeze.

“Okay.” He finally said rubbing his nose furiously.

“You going to be okay, do you have any allergy medicine?” Liam asked.

Gabriel made a hiccup type laugh, “No but I’ll be fine.” He sniffed twice then wiped his nose again. “It’ll pass as....so..on..as....I.....heh...goodness...as soo...n...as..my....s..i..”

Liam was really glad Gabriel was not looking at him; he could not help but be amused at the faces he was making trying to hold back his sneeze. “Si..nuses...heh...ahh.....”

Gabriel pressed the back of his hand to his nose. But his breath continued to quicken.

“Oh..d..d...ear..heh....hhh...ahh...ahh...ehh....”

“Gabriel?” Liam watched Gabriel wave his other hand as if not to interrupt this odd little process which went on for another good minute. Liam was starting to find the entire ordeal oddly adorable. From Gabriel’s pink cheeks to his twitchy nose to how he’d switch from handkerchief to back of hand, how he would blink furiously while his breath hitched madly as he attempted to hold back trying to gain control, Liam wasn’t sure why but Gabriel looked pathetically cute.

Finally Gabriel removed his hand and quickly blew his nose very wetly into his handkerchief successfully subduing the sneeze. “Dear me.” Liam heard him whisper. Gabriel gave a quick head shake, sniffed hard again a few times trying to collect himself. Liam heard him let a long audible sigh of relief as he wiped his nose again before sticking his handkerchief his coat pocket. Liam noticed he looked flushed but had a feeling it was due more to embarrassment than allergies.

Gabriel cleared his throat. “Sorry.” He looked around uncomfortably. “I, well, I’ve seem to have forgotten what we were talking about.” He said quietly.

That did it. Liam busted out laughing. He really did not know why he was laughing either, maybe it was a late response to the panic attack, maybe it was due to his severe lack of sleep, or maybe it was due to how adorable he found Gabriel at the moment but he bent over giggling madly into his knees. He heard a tiny gasp. Liam looked up, Gabriel’s expression anguished.

Liam frantically waved his hands, still bursting at the seams. “No...no...” he could barely get his breath, “I swear it’s not at you.” He tried sitting up since his sides now hurt. “Gabriel I swear...” He looked over but the professor was gone. Reality punched Liam in the face.

Liam, you asshole! “Gabriel wait!” Liam called to the older man who was a good distance from the bench. Liam ran after. “Gabriel please! I swear it wasn’t at you. I....” He was already short on breath from laughing, running was not helping. “Gabriel please, I’m so sorry, let me explain, please!” He saw Gabriel slow. “You don’t ever have to talk to me again after but please let me explain myself. Please!” He pleaded.

Gabriel stopped but kept his back to Liam who really was just glad the professor decided to listen. The problem now was Liam had to explain his anxiety and attacks and this was something that was he hated discussing. The thought alone was now actually causing him stress.

I’m going to owe him much more than just coffee for this. “Look Gabriel, I...” Pain seized his chest but he needed to push through.

And you're the sky.

“I swear I wasn’t laughing at you.” Liam panted from running and tightness. He wrung his hands together, “I...I had a really bad night on Thursday. I...well...” Try as he might Liam could not form the words. “I have some issues...difficult to explain.” His throat was starting to dry.

“It’s okay.” He heard Gabriel say quietly. Liam hated how miserable he sounded. “I was being over...”

“No!” Liam walked in front of the older man whose eyes were downcast. “You were not being oversensitive; I was being a goddamn ass!”

Gabriel ran his hands along his eyes; Liam prayed it only due to allergies. He had a horrible feeling he was wrong.

“I should be used to it by now.” Gabriel coughed slightly.

“Used to what?” Liam knew full well what he meant, his chest constricted.

“Being laughed at.” Gabriel sniffed hard and rubbed his nose with his handkerchief.

Liam was not sure if it was possible to feel any worse than he did at this current moment. The knot in his chest was making it difficult to breathe his craving for nicotine was back with a vengeance.

“I know I’m horribly awkward, I don’t understand a lot of today's technology, and I’m a walking stereotype.” Gabriel continued still averting his gaze from Liam. “I’m known as either that ‘sick teacher’ or that ‘weird teacher’. I’m not naive; I hear what people say about me. Even students, I get pranked in class or they call me Rudolph.” He swallowed hard.

“Rudolph?” It took Liam a microsecond to get the reference, “Ohhhh.” He saw Gabriel tap the tip of his nose. Liam bit his lip suppressing another laugh. This truly was not funny so why the hell was he acting this way?

“You’re trying not to laugh aren’t you?” The professor finally looked up at Liam; his blue eyes wet with tears that Liam knew weren’t from allergies.

“Gabriel,” Liam started but again any further words stuck in his throat which felt raw.

Gabriel shook his head, wiping the tears from his inflamed cheeks, “I thought you might be different, Liam. Apparently I was wrong.” And with that he started walking again. Liam wanted to call out but deep down he knew better. He told Gabriel he’d explain his actions, he had not and he in return upset the only person in this place he felt any kind of attachment too. He did not deserve another chance from Gabriel. Sighing, he pinched his eyes with his hand. Liam walked back over to the bench even before he sat down a cigarette already lit and in his hand. He stared at the water silently hoping this pain he felt would drift away with the smoke.

~~~~

Author's Note: Namida means "tears" in Japanese. Also I hope I was able to convey Gabriel's hold back properly. I'll tell you it looked a heck of a lot better in my head. Still rather new to fetish writing so that was my first attempt at a massive hold back. Thoughts?

Kaze Wo Hiku!!!!! Omg, wtf??!! Hahaha I'm sorry I expected to be PERSONALLY NOTIFIED when you started another story! :lol: Shoot, I'm several days behind! I will catch up asap and shower with praise (as I have no doubt you deserve!) :D it's great to see you're still writing! I'm liking the names already...

I'll be back!

“Gabriel?” Liam watched Gabriel wave his other hand as if not to interrupt this odd little process which went on for another good minute. Liam was starting to find the entire ordeal oddly adorable. From Gabriel’s pink cheeks to his twitchy nose to how he’d switch from handkerchief to back of hand, how he would blink furiously while his breath hitched madly as he attempted to hold back trying to gain control, Liam wasn’t sure why but Gabriel looked pathetically cute.

I think the hold back scene was brilliant. I think the only thing missing was the classic nose pinch maneuver. And maybe that doesn't work for Gabriel.

AND I really like that Liam found the whole thing cute/adorable. I made a similar observation in one of my stories. I think that is one the keys to why we enjoying the sneezing so much. :clapping:

Now, I can't wait for them to make up, because I just about cried with Gabriel. :(

Oh my GOD I LOVE THIS STORY,

Liam is such a genuine sweetheart! I love the fact that the song keeps replaying in his head, keeping the anxiety at bay, I imagine. I felt so sorry for him after the conversation with Bryce! Poor dear!!

And Gabriel, awwwww... He's simply too adorable for words. His poor poor suffering nose. But so cute that he can tell the difference between cold, allergies and his nose simply being his nose.

Gosh, I just wanna cuddle him to no end.

Keep uploading these please:D they are amazing

Oh, and PLEEEEEEAASE make things right between them? My poor heart can't handle an over sensitive, crying Gabriel and a guilty and anxious Liam!

I think the hold back scene was brilliant. I think the only thing missing was the classic nose pinch maneuver. And maybe that doesn't work for Gabriel.

AND I really like that Liam found the whole thing cute/adorable. I made a similar observation in one of my stories. I think that is one the keys to why we enjoying the sneezing so much. :clapping:

Now, I can't wait for them to make up, because I just about cried with Gabriel. :(

Ah I knew I forgot something! XD Yeah lets just say that doesnt work on poor Gabriel XDD

Aw nooo Gabe! Such a sweetie aw I just wanna cuddle him!! Cute little sick allergic sensitive man!!

I want to cuddle him tooooooo

Liam is such a softie ❤️

He is, he really is.

Archived