Sneeze Fetish Forum

What would Marie Antoinette do? (Secret Santa for Kaze wo hiku) 13 parts + Epilogue :)

Juto

Kaze dear,

My mansion-mate, angel-sitter, co-creator, writer/receiver of professorial “good nights”, LIBRIEL establisher, co-lover of everything ZALIAS, LIACH, LIAS, GABIAS and ZABRIEL, my beta, my prompt master, my fellow pickle-scribbler, music introducer, GA supporter, hugger, comforter, pep talker and FRIEND. (Did I leave anything out?) :lol:

MERRY CHRISTMAS :heart:

I would lie if I said I wasn't nervous about posting this. Honestly, I panicked when Junia announced I was you Secret Santa… After MC I guess you can imagine, right?!

As always, I adore comments and not just from Kaze ;)

A shout out to Seeking Clarity+Wisdom for her encouraging words of wisdom.

Chapter 1 – Circum Solem Ferantur

“CJ!”

The young man with brown eyes, messy looking brown hair and a complicated dance-pattern of freckles across his nose and cheeks looked towards his boss’s office as his name was called.

Theodore James, Theo to his colleagues, the museum curator stuck his head out of his office and flashed a gleaming smile at him.

“CJ Bennett, my hardworking assistant, put down those location lists at once and let us toast to the wondrous specimen that is the delivery man.”

The curator was in his good right to be happy. He had just received the crown jewel to the planned exhibition a week from Monday. An important exhibition, showing the sparkling magnificence of the Golden Age, that would hopefully attract more investors and patrons who believed the smaller historical museum deserved a longer run. It had taken Theodore and CJ months to secure the magnificent historical artefact, Elizabeth 1. Coronation gown, for the exhibition.

None had been working harder than the curator and naturally, if the curator was working, so was his assistant. Not that CJ minded. He had never been as outgoing as his peers. 25 years old with one relationship with a more ugly than pretty breakup in the bag, single since his 24th birthday and his idea of a social life was hanging on his couch with a ginger ale and watch his favourite character secure artefact after artefact for his friend’s museum. CJ had always loved museums, historical trinkets meant more to him than personal souvenirs, so of course he adored Indiana Jones.

“The usual?” CJ habitually asked his boss as he put down the lists on his neatly arranged desk.

“If you would be so kind.” The request came with a complimentary Victorian curtsy and a small wink before the curator went back into his office.

CJ took a deep breath. His heart tended to flutter slightly whenever the curator spoke directly to him. He felt a small blush rise in his cheeks. He couldn't really see how he could help it, his boss was just so damn charming. With a small smile and an amused head shake CJ moved away from his desk to get them them coffee from that special café around the corner.

CJ’s mind often jumped to the word “flamboyant” whenever thoughts of his boss would enter it, which admittedly happened more often than he was ready to let anyone know. There was never a dull moment when he was working with Theo. The flamboyance came with a tendency to over praise and consequently deprecate certain matters. A meal was never so much a ‘meal’ as it was a ‘heavenly serving’. Consequently, the broken arm he had suffered last summer after a fall down the stairs had been “but a scratch”.

When CJ had started this career as a museum guard 4 years ago Theo had been a museum tour guide, one of the best. His entrancing tales of the historical relics combined with his theatrical nature made his tours the most visited, but sadly, they had been the only ones. After a longer running financial crisis the prior curator, Malcolm James, Theo’s grandfather had thrown in the towel. On the verge of closure, staff and patrons alike all cheered for the next James to run the old family-owned museum and applause broke out when a highly moved Theodore James acceptingly rose to the challenge of bringing the smaller sized historical museum around and now, 2 years later, the 36 year old expressive curator could pat himself on the back. He didn't though, of course, it had been “a mighty team effort, one for the ages.”

As far as CJ knew the James family, a long line of historians, had stablished a name and a smaller fortune for themselves by dealing in antiques and historical artefacts. Winifred and George James, Theo’s parents travelled the world to obtain new trinkets and antiques and left the family business of antique stores and a manufacturer of replica jewellery, period outfits and the likes to Theo’s younger brother Marcus. Theo had been the planned heir to the business but ever since he'd been a little boy Theo had taken great interest in the smaller museum spending every holiday at his grandparents where he could follow his grandfather to work. Sadly though, shortly after Theo had taken the responsibility of curator Malcolm had died. It had been a low blow for Theo, but Theodore James being Theodore James it was impossible to tell. He still came into work with a gleam and a smile and warmhearted and expressive comment to each of his employee. Only the shy museum guard standing in the corner of the Egyptian exhibition had noticed how the curator's eyes turned slightly red and seemed to blink more rapidly when no one was around. During one of those incidents their eyes had met across the room and CJ had blushingly sent the curator a sympathetic smile.

CJ had been surprised when he after only 2 years as a guard had been offered the position of assistant to the newly appointed curator himself, a job he didn't really consider himself prepared for, but his own financial situation had welcomed the higher income and CJ had found that the job wasn't as difficult and demanding as he had expected. At least, not with Theo as his boss.

There was just something about the older curator that CJ found appealing. His hair was a little longer than most men’s, soft, dark brown waves that almost touched his shoulders. His dark green eyes were set beneath neatly kept eyebrows and were often to be seen behind a pair of black, stylishly soft-square glasses. His frame was well proportioned and brisk with the dramatic extravagance of a stage-ready Freddie Mercury.

His ostentatious behaviour often made CJ blush on his behalf, and still, he found it hard not to follow the curator with his eyes whenever he could.

Opposites attract! There was no way CJ could really argue with that.

CJ was too self-conscious to wear anything but really dark colours, preferably all black or the occasional dark grey if he was feeling especially daring, and too shy to ever start a conversation unless the situation specifically demanded it. The first couple of months as the curator’s assistant had been a jumble of stutters, sweats and carefully planned sentences but with his boss’s patience and CJ’s own will to conquer his shyness he came to find the job tasks bearable, even likeable. Occasionally a task would stir up his nerves and send him trembling into the fresh air to collect himself. Theo never commented on his behaviour or the way he dealt with his tasks, but he had a never ending stream of praise when the task was completed to his satisfaction. CJ had always been a fast learner and admittedly, a bit of a perfectionist, which definitely worked in his favour under the watchful eyes of the curator.

He gave the door a soft knock before entering with two to-go coffees, one balancing on top of the other.

“One order of freshly brewed, medium roasted Ethiopian Sidamo, with one teaspoon of hazel nut syrup and two ounces of skimmed milk”

He sat the cup down on the curator’s desk, wondering if the man had ever had just a regular coffee. CJ himself was a lot more your average guy.

“And one plain coffee and milk.” He muttered looking up at the curator, but Theo’s back was turned. His arm reached out for the ever present stack of blue linen handkerchiefs made to resemble the 19th century style with its embroidered border. He quickly snatched one from the stack on his desk and brought it to his face.

“Ihhh’kish~shuh

CJ hid a small smile. Even the curator's sneezes were a little showy with the jump of an octave in the middle making the ending slightly high pitched. CJ didn't mind, if anything it suited him.

“Ahh… Ha’kitchoo~o!”

The assistant muttered the curtsy blessing, cheeks tinted pink. A couple of daily sneezes from the curator whose nose was terribly sensitive to dust was not uncommon. Theo gave a light blow and a thorough rub before he turned back towards CJ, pocketing the handkerchief.

“Pray forgive.” He said with a small sniffle, taking the coffee CJ had put in front of him raising it greeting towards him.

“To the delivery man and our mushrooming exhibition!” He leaned forward on his toes to clasp his heels together with a sharp thud

CJ nodded his agreement, touched his paper cup to Theo’s in the air and sipped his warm coffee.

“Now!” Theo cleared his throat and took a step back, going around his desk so CJ could regard him in full figure. He held out his arms with his show time smile. “Appraise!” He demanded.

This was a game they often played. Theo had a flair for not only looking smoking hot in tailored suits but also managing to always combine his look with a historically significant piece of clothing obtained from the family’s replica business. It was CJ’s job to identify said piece of clothing and determine its historical origin. With a Masters in History, majoring in Elizabethan England and a letter of acceptance to starting his PhD next year CJ knew his way around the historical eras. But he had known absolutely nothing of fashion, until he became assistant to Theo. His own work suit was a standard issue Bertoni complete with a black cotton shirt and black tie that his ex boyfriend had picked out for him when he had been offered the position of P.A.. Callum had been the trendy one in the relationship. CJ had been…well… CJ! A shy soul most comfortable in his jeans, trainers, a shirt and a pullover, most often seen with his contacts rather than glasses because they made him less noticeable. Needless to say the flamboyant curator had greatly expanded CJ’s knowledge on the subject of fashion without ever expecting him to change his own style.

CJ’s heart did a three beat quickstep under the curator's smiling eyes. The older man was taller than him, but only just. CJ’s messy hair added an extra inch to his 5”7, still, CJ felt like a giggly, love struck teen when his boss flashed him that gleaming show smile. He swallowed his shyness as he often had to around Theo and set to appraising his outfit

“Tailored suit, two piece, inscription on the buttons declares it a Hugo Boss model, knowing you, it's most likely this year's model.” He glanced shyly up at the smirking curator. “Light blue shirt, most likely Egyptian cotton. The seven black buttons, one red indicates the trademark signature of your favourite shirt maker, Pierre Lavino. Shoes, Christian Louboutin, made evident by the smooth calfskin and the patent leather toe cap and red laces, the usual 0”75 inch heel would be my guess.” He looked up sensing the curators expectant smile and took a deep breath to steady his nerves before he continued. “ And now the cravat!”

The curator flashed a grand smile, awaiting the assistant’s historical explanation. CJ had purposefully - and because he secretly knew the curator preferred it - saved the replicated historical piece of clothing for last.

“The cravat, forerunner of the modern day neck or bow tie, originated in the 17th century as a military fashion of white linen. It was quickly adopted amongst the nobles at Louis XIII of France’s court where the colour and elaborate style changed to fit the pompous splendour.

This particular piece,” he felt the blush rise in his cheeks as he met the curator's smiling green eyes. “is made of red silk and tied in a regency style knot, mostly seen amongst men of higher birth between 1810 and 1830. And,” he took a step closer, fighting down his shyness, “It’s even complete with an oval ‘mother of pearl’ cravat pin. Very 1828.”

He glanced up at the smiling curator, stepped back and took a deep breath to steady his heart rhythm.

“My dear CJ,” the assistant’s blush deepened, there was no way he could prevent it. “Your knowledge never ceases to amaze me.” The curator let his arms fall down and softened his smile.

“Shall I disappoint our patrons do you think?”

The voice was soft, gently inquiring, almost pleading, the eyes gleaming and bright. CJ had to concentrate on breathing.

“I don't think you could even if you wanted you.” He immediately blushed at his own bluntness and looked away from the curator. The small chuckle from his boss made him blush even deeper. Until…

“Iihhh’kitsschu~uh! H’kishoo~o! Forgive me. As much as I enjoy relieving this persistent tickle I do wish it would stop before the meeting with the patrons in 20 minutes.” He sniffled and rubbed his increasingly red nose with the handkerchief before re-pocketing it looking back at CJ. “Where was it again?”

CJ took out his phone and checked the curator's schedule. “Café Clair, for drinks, your taxi will be here in 5 minutes. And then you and Nathaniel have dinner reservations at the Nimb at 8.30. Under Theodore James.”

It was no secret to the staff that the curator had been dating the pretentious and upcoming designer Nathaniel Marc for a few years, but CJ was one of the few who new that his boss had moved in with his boyfriend a week ago due to his own apartment having suffered water damage after a bad plumbing incident.

He noticed the curator's face fall as he reminded him of the reservation he had asked him to make only a few days ago.

“Sweet Marie, CJ, if you hadn't reminded me I would surely have forgotten.” He turned an affectionate stare at the assistant and flashed a smile. “What would I do without you.”

Deep breaths CJ, deep breaths.

“I’d better be off then. Wish me luck.” He pocketed a travel pack of tissues and padded his inner pockets for glasses, phone, keys and wallet. “Oh, be a dear and put this box in the safe storage. It was a donation from an investor for the exhibition. Please be careful with it.” He pointed to a tiny box sitting on his desk. CJ nodded and went to the corner to retrieve Theo’s coat which he held up for the older man to slip into.

“Such gallantry, CJ, thank you.” With a show casing smile at CJ, a dramatic coat flying spin and a melodic “until tomorrow, darlings” aimed at whichever staff member was within hearing range he took off, idly prancing down the halls of the closed museum loudly humming “oh what a beautiful morning” from “Oklahoma”.

CJ stood in his office, following the retreating figure of his boss with his eyes. He was the very picture of a man who could conquer anything. CJ had endless amounts of admiration for that man.

Not to mention a soul breaking crush!

~ ~ ~

He turned his key on the panel controlling the line of no les than 12 safe locker doors to the museum’s vault and waited patiently for the slow mechanical door to open locker 4, 1600—1800 where he was supposed to secure the gift box from the investor. His own mind got the better of him.

“WHY is HE so DAMN CUTE?!” Each strongly emphasised word was accompanied by a small bang of his head against the wall as he waited for the locker to open. Hair now slightly askew, forehead red and throbbing and with a depleted expression on his face he made his way into the walk-in-closet sized locker as the “beep” announced it open. He carefully placed the box on the time-appropriate shelf and quickly stepped back as he felt the disturbed dust tickle his nose. He reached in his pocket for a delicate dark blue handkerchief that he brought up to pinch his nose with.

“Hn’nxt! Snf! N’gkt! Heh… Eh’nxxt!”

CJ always made sure to carry a handkerchief in his pocket. Occasionally, the dusty museum would trigger a flurry of sneezes but that really wasn't the reason. CJ had never been one for sentiment, but the small collection of hand made handkerchiefs his grandmother had given him for his christening always brought him comfort. It was the one thing he had left of the grand parent who had practically raised him after his dad had walked out and his mother had died in a car crash when he was 14. Having at least one of the hand made and name embroidered handkerchief in his pocket was a comfort when his shyness got the better of him. And incidentally, he most definitely preferred them to tissues.

Once out of the safe locker he waited impatiently for the doors to close again and hurried back to his desk to grab his coat and bag. He had a date with Indy and a bottle of ginger ale.

TBC...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOU GODAMN YOU!!! I SWEAR TO GOD AT ONE POINT I WAS LIKE...I wonder if this is actually for me...YOU TOTALLY GOT ME AGAIN JUTO!!!

I fucking love you so much!!!

I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN, HELLO OLDER HOT DRESSED GUYS WITH YOUNGER ONES. SERIOUSLY!!!

“Now!” Theo cleared his throat and took a step back, going around his desk so CJ could regard him in full figure. He held out his arms with his show time smile. “Appraise!” He demanded.

Theo...I love you so hard.

“Iihhh’kitsschu~uh! H’kishoo~o! Forgive me. As much as I enjoy relieving this persistent tickle I do wish it would stop before the meeting with the patrons in 20 minutes.” He sniffled and rubbed his increasingly red nose with the handkerchief before re-pocketing it looking back at CJ. “Where was it again?”

PARDOM ME WHILE I JUST MELT ONTO THE FLOOR!!!

CJ always made sure to carry a handkerchief in his pocket. Occasionally, the dusty museum would trigger a flurry of sneezes but that really wasn't the reason. CJ had never been one for sentiment, but the small collection of hand made handkerchiefs his grandmother had given him for his christening always brought him comfort. It was the one thing he had left of the grand parent who had practically raised him after his dad had walked out and his mother had died in a car crash when he was 14. Having at least one of the hand made and name embroidered handkerchief in his pocket was a comfort when his shyness got the better of him.

Awwwww MY CJ!!!!

I'M GOING TO BE BOTHERING THE HELL OUT OF YOU FOR UPDATES YOU KNOW THAT RIGHT!!

And Junia if you ever read this...THANK YOU!!!!

This is sweet! I'm a sucker for historians :) (and I LOVE ginger ale!) I'll be eager to read the next bit

Yes! You got it going on, girl! As I already said, I like the museum setting and Theo "welcoming" his sneezing is a breath of fresh air. :D

Thanks for reading everyone. If all goes well and my computer decides to cooperate I'll have the next chapter up some time today.

I should have mentioned that the titles are in Latin and when translated (yay google) give little hints about the chapter.

YOU GODAMN YOU!!! I SWEAR TO GOD AT ONE POINT I WAS LIKE...I wonder if this is actually for me...YOU TOTALLY GOT ME AGAIN JUTO!!!

Hehehe all part of the secret dear. ;) that little period rant in the beginning? That was simply to throw you off course of suspicion. Evidently, it worked :lol:

PARDOM ME WHILE I JUST MELT ONTO THE FLOOR!!!

This was the reaction I was going for :D I'm glad I succeeded! :lol:

This is sweet! I'm a sucker for historians :) (and I LOVE ginger ale!) I'll be eager to read the next bit

Aww thank you so much. I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Yay for ginger ale :D me too!!

Yes! You got it going on, girl! As I already said, I like the museum setting and Theo "welcoming" his sneezing is a breath of fresh air. :D

Aww thanks. I would have loved to have done an actual period piece but I lack the skill so this was a sort of compromise :)

I'm glad you're enjoying my flamboyant and sneezy curator :D

<3

Aww thank you.

Juto, this is wonderful!

Oh wow :blush: thank you so much :heart:

New chapter.

Sorry about the lack of italics especially in regards to CJ’s thoughts. My computer passed away earlier today. I hope it alł makes sense anyway ;)

Enjoy.

Chapter 2 – Iacta Alea Est

Wednesday, only 5 days left before the grand opening of the Golden Age Exhibition and CJ found himself one hand made gold goblet short. He nervously tapped his pen against his desk as he glanced at his scribbled notes while his other hand clutched the handkerchief in his pocket, fidgeting with the crocheted border.

The package should have been delivered today.

When will it be delivered?

You are responsible for ensuring the delivery date as requested.

If you can't deliver the item in question no later than 3 days after the agreed delivery, the contract will be considered breached.

CJ hated these kind of tasks. Even with mental preparation and pre-written arguments chances were he would still end up a stuttering, nervously shivering mess before this conversation was over.

Just keep breathing CJ.

Custodi Spirandi.

He took a deep breath, mentally preparing himself.

I came I saw I conquered.

Veni Vidi Vici.

Veni Vidi Vici.

He repeated Julie's Caesar’s famous words in his head as he picked up his phone and dialled the number of the delivery company preparing for the worst. He hadn't been far off. Only a few minutes into the conversation and he was already making a complete fool of himself.

“N-n-n-n-n-n no mister S-s-s-s-steward!” Deep breath CJ! “The contract clearly s-s-s-s-States t-t-that” Relax CJ! “You are to be held r-res-s-sponsible for any d-d-d-delays. And I n-n-nnn-nnn

Abort mission! Abort mission!

His mind presented him with an all too familiar go-to escape. He had no option but to engage.

“Sorry, bad reception. Call you back.” He practically slammed his phone down, tangling his fingers in his hair, letting his body convulse as he fought to control his breathing.

Custodi Spirandi!

God, you're so pathetic CJ! It's a wonder you still have this job!

He shrugged it off, forcing his convulsing muscles to relax, exceedingly happy that his boss wasn't around to witness his shame. Theodore was due back soon though from his lunch meeting and CJ had to deal with this before he came back. He grabbed his pen and quickly wrote the entire speech he wanted to deliver, taking special care to insert pauses that would allow him a deep breath. Satisfied after a 4th read-through he redialled.

“Mister Steward.” He read out loud from his notes, resting his pen under the next word so his eyes could process it before he had to speak it. “I understand that due to certain unforeseen weather complications that you are unable to deliver the artefact in question on time,” Breathe CJ! “Regardless, as stated in your contract, you are obligated to ensure that the artefact reaches its destination no later than 3 days after the agreed delivery date or the contract will be rendered null and void and any expenses will befall you and your company.” Deep breath CJ, you got this! “I will require a straight ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer. Will you be able to deliver the artefact no later than Friday?” CJ paused and listened before trailing his pen along to the drawn line to the prepared answer to a ‘no’. “Very well then, I can only consider this a breach of contract. Any expenses incurred by the museum due to this breach will be charged to your company. You can expect a written confirmation by the end of today. Good day to you.”

He hung up, shivering in the aftermath. He wrenched his hands, trying to get some warmth back into his ice cold fingers as he took a few deep breaths to steady himself.

You did it! You conquered! Next time will be easier. Next time…. Ugh!

The mere thought made CJ bury his face in his hands and let out a groan.

“CJ, my ray of sunshine, are you quite alright?”

CJ's head snapped up and his eyes flew to the curator's hand that had just been placed on his shoulder.

Realising Theo was actually touching him made CJ’s pale face return to normal colour, adding a further tint of pink for good measure.

Don't lose it now, CJ!

“CJ?” The voice was full of worry. CJ shyly cleared his throat and slowly lifted his head to meet the curator's concerned gaze.

“I'm fine.” He managed with a small smile. “Just a problem with a delivery. I-I'll take care of it.”

“And you will do so splendidly, I have no doubt.” The praise only made CJ blush even deeper.

He noticed how Theo’s face turned distant and the curator suddenly turned his face into his elbow letting out a breathy “ahh, blessed relief.”

“Ihh’Kish~schoo! Hhah… O-oh sweet Marie… Kitschu~uh! Ihh’ithschu~uh!”

“Bless you.” CJ muttered, barely audible over the deep sniffles coming from the curator before he pulled a well used handkerchief from his pocket and rubbed his nose with it. His hand had not removed itself from CJ’s shoulder and the assistant could feel the weight of the fit and the exhaustion it caused his boss. He frowned. The mornings were clearly worse for the curator's allergies, especially after his regular morning stroll through the museum, but since Monday, it seemed like they had gotten worse. He was sneezing more frequently and they seemed to exhaust him more. A freshly laundered stack of handkerchiefs had been required on his desk every day. The assistant was starting to worry. He wanted to ask Theo if he should get him some over-the-counter-allergy-relief and he had already begun structuring the sentence in his mind but his boss beat him to it.

“CJ, my loyal assistant. Could I possibly persuade you to pick up a prescription for me at the pharmacy on your way home and bring it tomorrow? As much as I love acting party venue to dust particles, I'm afraid I simply don't have the energy for it at the moment.” He gestured for CJ to follow him into his office. The assistant quickly gathered his papers and followed the curator, frowning at his spoken request.

He build up his courage to ask. “Don't you want me to get it now? You sound like you could need it.” He sat down opposite Theo, watching the older man turn away from him to blow his increasingly reddening nose.

The curator waved him off with a gleaming scold. “My dear CJ, I feel perfectly splendid.” Despite his words, the curator swiftly pulled a fresh handkerchief and turned away from him.

“Hhih… Eh’tisch~shuh! Kitsch~shuh!… Hhi… Hi’igtscho~oo!

“Bless you.” CJ muttered as the curator rubbed his nose with it before cracking a gleaming smile, adjusting the glasses on the bridge of his nose.

“CJ dear, there is absolutely no reason to bless these joyous little outbursts. I highly welcome them.”

CJ fought back an eye roll. Trust the curator to downplay his allergies. He readied his notepad, preparing to write down whatever new task the curator had for him.

Together they went over the list of the secured items, planning the order in which to arrange them in the newly renovated exhibition room. CJ gave his opinion on the matter, focusing on building anticipation through the exhibition, eventually guiding the guests towards the crown jewel of the exhibit, the Elizabeth’s coronation gown.

The curator had listened intently, nodding every now again as the gleaming smile on his face widened, causing CJ's skin to warm. CJ rarely stumbled over his words when he was speaking to Theo. Something in the older man's face was oddly calming on his twitchy speech and the man seemed to ooze patience. When CJ had finished presenting his idea the curator gave him a dazzling smile. CJ's heart skipped a beat.

“CJ.” The curator started, cocking his head to the side, raising one delicately curved eyebrow. “What would Marie Antoinette do?”

CJ chuckled nervously. This was his first grand exhibition and he had completely forgotten his boss’s eternal love for the historical diva and immortal queen of pomp and circumstance, Marie Antoinette.

“Glamour CJ!” The curator said theatrically spreading his fingers. “Sensational, dazzling beauty.” He curator got out of his chair and crouched down behind CJ, levelling their heads as he held up his arms in front of them, emphasising his words with expressive gestures. CJ held his breath, praying the curator could not hear the acceleration in his heartbeat.

“This was the GOLDEN AGE! We want to charm them, CJ, dazzle them, allure them, bewitch them into investment.” He padded CJ's shoulders as he stood, going back to his chair, pausing behind it for a finishing pose before ending his performance.

“Bring me fascination, CJ! I want the exhibition to SPARKLE!” The last word was emphasised with a grandiose finish, followed by a deep bow.

How could it not with you there?

CJ was internally both amused and impressed. A grand orchestra could have been conducted to play the finishing notes to the “Overture of the Barber of Seville” to go with that bow and it would have seemed completely appropriate.

Theodore James! You really ought to come with a soundtrack and a thick, red, velvet theatre curtain.

No matter, CJ had no trouble picturing it.

Some of their more extricate coworkers might have applauded after the curator’s performing speech, CJ merely blushed and nodded, taking a few notes on his paper.

“Of course, Theo. I'll have something more... fascinating to present to you tomorrow.”

He looked up to see the curator giving him an oddly soft look, twirling his hands in his lap.

“CJ, what are your plans for tomorrow evening?”

“U-hm,” the question took him completely by surprise, he had no well prepared answer, not even a rough draft. He started stumbling over the words as his hand immediately went into his pocket, clutching his handkerchief. His eyes darted around the room searching for anything that could help him build an answer.“O-o-oh, I-I-I-I-I d-d-do-don't.” He stopped himself before he would die of shame and took a deep breath, hanging his head and squeezing his eyes shut.

I have no plans. I have no plans. I have no plans.

He slowly raised his head and looked at the curator. Theo was patiently smiling at him, almost coaxing his speech.

“I have no plans.” CJ managed once again feeling his cheeks warm. “No plans.” He repeated with a small head shake and a weak smile.

“Splendid!” The curator's eyes were shining, his smile widening as he took in CJ's flushed cheeks.

“Would you like to accompany me tomorrow night?”

Tomorrow night? The hors d’oeuvres and champagne tasting? Holy….

Custodi Spirandi.

CJ had weeks prior arranged a private session with one of the city’s most complimented caterers for Theodore and Nathaniel where they could taste and approve the prepared treats to be served at the exhibition.

Did the curator want HIM and not Nathaniel to go with him? CJ wasn't quite sure what to think.

“Sadly, Nathaniel...” Theo paused uncomfortably before resuming his winning smile with a small cough. “… has to work, and since I couldn't possibly be asked to revel in all those tiny bites of pure paradise myself, what could possibly be more magnificent than to have my favourite assistant accompany me?”

CJ was stunned, his blush deepening as the curator looked at him with his piercing dark green eyes. CJ had to pinch himself not to get lost in their depths.

“CJ,” the curator spoke slowly, smiling invitingly as he did. “Would you like to accompany me to “No. 24” tomorrow night for hors d’oeuvres and champagne? Strictly business of course, with a mere sprinkle of pleasure on top.” His hand movements accentuated his words as always and his eyes were expectant. He ran a hand through his thick wavy hair, revealing the historical addition to his outfit, a single large fresh water pearl in a simple gold setting with a small ruby on top dangling from his ear. A highly fashionable men's wear in the late 16th century.

CJ took a second to organise his thoughts. An evening alone with the curator, revelling in delicious food and champagne? CJ had never had champagne, only Asti which he knew he liked. But could he do this?

His mind was already in heaven, his nerves in hell!

Veni Vidi Vici.

Not trusting his voice to utter even the simple “yes” he looked shyly at Theo and nodded.

The curator lit up, practically leaping form his chair. “Marvellous. I'll arrange for a car to pick you up at 8 tomorrow.” He stood and smiled for a moment before his brows turned up into a quizzical expression and his face went slack. He quickly snatched the handkerchief from the desk before turning away from CJ.

“Hhih… Ih’tschoo~o! Ihh’kitsch~shuh! Hheh… Eh’ktschu~uh! By Versailles! My nose does seem quite irked today. What a blessed relief to cater for this persistent irritant. I do hope it lets up before tomorrow evening though, I should hate to ruin the ambiance.”

CJ couldn't fathom how a few theatrical sneezes could ruin champagne and hors d’oeuvres, but Theo seemed bothered despite his own colourful words and CJ reminded himself to pick up the curator's allergy pills.

CJ was still in a daze on his way home, the word ‘fascination’ repeating itself in his mind over and over as he tried to connect it to Elizabethan England and of course the curator’s taste.

Ahhh Theodore James. What WOULD Marie Antoinette do?

TBC…

WHERE DO I START???

Just keep breathing CJ.
Custodi Spirandi.

I ADORE that he talks to himself in Latin.

“Bless you.” CJ muttered, barely audible over the deep sniffles coming from the curator before he pulled a well used handkerchief from his pocket and rubbed his nose with it. His hand had not removed itself from CJ’s shoulder and the assistant could feel the weight of the fit and the exhaustion it caused his boss. He frowned. The mornings were clearly worse for the curator's allergies, especially after his regular morning stroll through the museum, but since Monday, it seemed like they had gotten worse. He was sneezing more frequently and they seemed to exhaust him more.

//meltsintopoolonfloor.

“Splendid!” The curator's eyes were shining, his smile widening as he took in CJ's flushed cheeks.
“Would you like to accompany me tomorrow night?”

YES CJ YOU WOULD, KAZE SAYS YOU HAVE TOO!!

“Sadly, Nathaniel...” Theo paused uncomfortably before resuming his winning smile with a small cough. “… has to work,

ORLY??? Hmm interesting.

Strictly business of course,

Business schsiness this is a date!!!

“Hhih… Ih’tschoo~o! Ihh’kitsch~shuh! Hheh… Eh’ktschu~uh! By Versailles! My nose does seem quite irked today. What a blessed relief to cater for this persistent irritant. I do hope it lets up before tomorrow evening though, I should hate to ruin the ambiance.”

God I love this man.

JUTO AGAIN! I'M BEYOND HAPPY!!! :hug: I adore the entire thing and am looking forward to what happens next and finding out whats up with Nathaniel. You're doing awesome, I :heart: you.

//meltsintopoolonfloor.

:blush: awwww :heart:

YES CJ YOU WOULD, KAZE SAYS YOU HAVE TOO!!

Haha careful CJ, Kaze has her Cutiefessor and she's not afraid to use him :lol:

JUTO AGAIN! I'M BEYOND HAPPY!!! I adore the entire thing and am looking forward to what happens next and finding out whats up with Nathaniel. You're doing awesome, I you.

Awww thanks dear :hug: you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Chapter 3 – Veni Vidi Everterim

Too black.

Too black.

Too black.

Thursday night, and CJ was at a loss.

He shook his head again and again as he went through possible outfits for tonight's surprise invitation. He didn't want to show up in just his regular work suit, but CJ being CJ it was either that or jeans and a pullover, and he was quite sure “No 24” would never grant him access in his jeans.

Fresh out of the shower, his semi long dark hair still clinging wetly to his head he stood tapping his food impatiently as he searched his closet for clothes he didn't own. His head snapped up suddenly remembering a gift his grandmother had given him 2 years ago before she died. In her honour he had worn it to work on his first day as Theo’s assistant. It was a shirt, a deep, deep shade or purple. CJ had since stored it in the back of his closet knowing he would never dare to wear it again, but… Maybe tonight he would be brave? Despite the very dark purple colour it was still highly more noticeable than mere black. His mind debated.

Veni Vidi...

Nope, sorry.

He reached for the standard black shirt and tie and threw it on before he could change his mind.

Fully dressed he looked at himself in the mirror. His hair was styled in the slightly messy way he always wore it, that was really more laziness than anything. His suit was the standard issue Bertoni, all black. He leaned in rubbing his eyes. His contacts were making his eyes a bit itchy as they always did during the evening, but self consciousness prevented him from putting on his glasses instead. Theodore had never seen him in glasses, he wasn't prepared for that just yet. He put a tiny vial of saltwater eye drops in his jacket pocket. Just as he was tying his shoes he heard the car horn from the street bellow.

He quickly scanned the room as he padded his pockets.

Glasses (just in case), wallet, phone, keys, salt water drops.

Shit! His handkerchief.

He practically ran back to his bedroom where the delicate dark blue cloth lay waiting on his bed. As he picked it up his eyes feel on the purple shirt he had laid out on his covers.

Veni Vidi…

Deep breaths CJ!

Custodi Spirandi!

… Vici!

~ ~ ~

“Ah! How perfectly delightful.” The curator's eyes smiled warmly at CJ across the small white draped table in a private corner of “No. 24” as his soft voice practically sang his newly discovered gratification. “We match.” He took in CJ's dark purple shirt and his smile widened.

That's it CJ, you're never wearing colours again! You're practically a traffic-stopping glow-in-the-dark eggplant!

He fought in a steady breath and another, clutching the handkerchief in his pocket as he tried to convince himself that running to hide in the bathroom for the remainder of the evening would be highly offending.

The curator himself had spiced up his outfit with a blazing purple vest in the 1810 style with two rows of buttons down the front and a high collar that fit snugly around his neck.

CJ felt his cheeks warm, too warm for the air conditioned restaurant and his cold hands started to get sweaty. Theo looked amazing in his figure tailored suit and purple vest with its gold coloured buttons and its intricate pattern of golden leaves around the collar and down the chest.

CJ just felt exposed in his black suit and very(!) noticeable dark purple shirt, highly(!) visible under his black jacket. CJ cleared his throat uncomfortably but couldn't prevent a small smile at Theo’s obvious joy. His face was simply too adorable. Although, CJ noticed that his nose seemed a shade redder than the rest of his face, not surprising considering the number of times he had witnessed it being rubbed and nudged at work for the last couple of days.

The allergy pills CJ had brought his boss this morning didn't seem to have had much effect at all. Every so often the curator would bring his hand up to rub his nose and his eyes would glaze over. A few times he managed to quench the obvious tickle that bothered him, but CJ could tell he was finding it increasingly hard not to sneeze.

The first serving of hors d’oeuvres were placed in front of them, CJ gaped, having never seen salmon presented in such a stylish fashion. The curator raised his glass of Jean Veselle Demi Sec Rosé and gave his nose a quick rub.

“To dear Marie and her pomp and circumstance. And to Elizabeth 1. And her breathtaking gown.”

Their classes clinked.

CJ brought the glass to his lips and sipped the pink liquid. A million tingly bubbles of liquid Pinot noir danced joyously down his tongue. He licked his lips. He liked champagne, he definitely liked champagne.

“And… to fascination.” CJ raised his glass again, heat rising in his cheeks as the curator instantly picked up on his choice of word, turning a sparkling green look at him.

“CJ, my beacon of hope.” The curator's smile widened over the top of his glass before he sat it down and drummed his fingers against each other expectantly. “Did you bring me glamour?” He gave a barely audible sniffle and rubbed his nose with a finger, eyes still shining expectantly.

CJ smiled shyly and started the speech he had practices multiple times in the shower, how the exhibition could be lifted with Elizabethan entertainment, jesters, jugglers, ladies in waiting handing out the drinks before building up to the coronation gown in the dead centre of the exhibition, visible from the entire exhibition room.

“… altogether a combination of pomp and glamour. Just like Marie Antoinette would have displayed it.” He ended his speech, panting slightly with nerves, writhing his hands in his lap as he waited for Theo’s reaction.

To CJ’s great joy, the curator seemed sold on his ideas, leaning back and clasping his hands together triumphantly and CJ could happily tell him that even though they were perhaps a bit late, he had already heard back from several event companies ready to supply the entertainment.

“CJ, my ever shining beam, I never doubted you for a second.” His eyes shone bright through his glasses. CJ’s heart skipped a beat. The curator’s smile suddenly faded and his eyes seemed to bore themselves into CJ’s.

Keep breathing, CJ, even though your heart is going to smash through your ribs at any minute, just. Keep. Breathing.

Custodi Spirandi.

Custodi Spirandi.

“CJ… I,” the curator lowered his gaze giving his increasingly red nose another insistent rub. He was

obviously struggling with what he wanted to say and the battle against his allergies clearly wasn't helping the matter. CJ had never seen Theo at a loss for words, it was oddly… endearing.

As if the man could possibly get any cuter! WHY DOES HE HAVE TO BE SO CUTE?!

Theo brought his eyes back up to his. CJ couldn't quite read his expression. His boss almost seemed… Nervous. CJ was sure his heart could be heard across the table. Whatever Theo had to say, it looked uncomfortable. CJ was bursting.

“CJ… I know-“

But before he could say anything more, the waiters swooped in and with an elegant and very skilled twirl removed their plates and served the next set of hors d'oeuvres. CJ ignored the dancing waiters and just stared at his boss, silently begging him to finish the sentence, but the curator seemed to have been thrown off course and returned to his theatrics.

“Oh, Queen Marie be praised, what an absolutely spectacular presentation, this is definitely what dear Marie would have ordered.” He said, gesturing to the small spread of blinis and red caviar arranged to depict a rose in full bloom on his plate.

CJ looked down at his own plate, fighting to relax his nerves.

You're doing great. He liked your idea. What he had to say was nothing bad. Hopefully. Please don't let it be something bad!

They spent the next half hour merely enjoying the food and champagne, only talking when Theo wanted his perception of the hors d’oeuvres or the champagne. More than once CJ had caught Theo staring at him, his expression unreadable. CJ's nerves were giving him hell and he fisted his hand under the table to keep his nervous shivers at bay. His eyes were beginning to feel dry. He wanted to rub them, but he didn't want Theo to notice.

Despite Theo’s obvious attempt to not let his allergies ruin the good mood, CJ could tell the older man was fighting a loosing battle. He had just excused himself to go to the bathroom and CJ took the opportunity to drop his itchy eyes with the salt water he had brought, after having checked and double checked that no dancing waiters or other restaurant guests were paying attention to him. He blinked in the drops, wiping the excess water away with his hand. The drops helped, but his eyes still itched. He reached for his glasses in his pocket, debating, but dropped them back when he saw Theo reemerge form the bathroom, eyes with a pink shadow around them and his nose bright red as if he had been rubbing at it since excusing himself.

He sat down and resumed his flamboyant manner, theatrically commenting the 6th serving of lemon steamed tuna on olive bread. CJ noticed how the older man continued to rub at his nose and to further fuel his worry, Theo's voice seemed to have taken on a slightly hoarse undertone, making him clear his throat discreetly after every sentence.

During the 7th of the 12 servings, Theo’s nose finally won the battle and he swiftly reached for his napkin and leaned away from the table unable to fight the hitching breaths.

“Ehh… Hihh… Ih’kitsch~shuh!... Itscho~oo!...o-oh… k’itschju~uh! Ah, sweet Marie, such alleviation.”

CJ politely looked away, as the curator blew his nose into the napkin, using the distraction to rub his eyes. He wished he had had the courage to put on his glasses but he couldn't make himself do it now.

“Ahh, as much as I welcome these relieving eruptions I had hoped to avoid them tonight.”

CJ merely smiled his sympathy. He didn't mind them at all, but still felt sorry for the curator.

Theo’s nose twitched again as if wanting to make him pay for stalling all evening. He brought the napkin back up and turned to the side.

“Ihh… Hhih’kitsch~shuh!..uhh! Eh’keshtscho~oo! Blessed queen. Tha-“ his breath caught forcing a hoarse cough. “That was relieving.” He cleared his throat again and took a sip of his champagne. CJ saw the tiny wince as the liquid went down his throat. His worry briefly won over his shyness.

“Theo are you feeling alright?”

The curator nodded feverishly while mastering a smile.

“Splendid CJ, no cause for worry.” Theo rubbed his eyes and nose with the back of his hand, having discarded the depleted napkin he had used. CJ thought for a stray second to offer him the unused handkerchief in his pocket, but his mind had caught him before his hand could reach for it. Instead he leaned over towards the empty table next to them and snatched the napkin, offering it to Theo.

“Ah! How gracious, thank you.” The curator took it and rubbed his red nose once more before placing the napkin in his lap.

Theo fought through the 7th, 8th and 9th serving and a second glass of Louis Roederer Brut before it became evident that the curator was much too troubled by his allergies to continue the evening. He gave a conceding and slightly sad nod, rubbing his nose and wiping a thin layer of sweat from his brow as CJ offered to call for a taxi to take them home.

CJ’s worry grew. He had seen Theo’s allergies act up before, but nothing like this. His own nose seemed fine, so clearly “No 24”’s cleaning crew was doing a decent job. Something else was obviously bothering the curator and CJ could only look on in sympathy as Theo sneezed, coughed and sniffled his way into his coat and out into the waiting car.

~ ~ ~

“Please forgive me CJ for ruining an otherwise magical evening in your company.” The curator said as the car sped through the dark city. He was sitting back against the seat, his red nose a stark contrast to his slightly pale face and glisteningly moist forehead. “I'm sure I must look the very image of distasteful.” His voice sounded harsher than it had inside, and CJ noticed the constant sniffles had taken on a wetter-sounding quality.

He had no idea how to respond, his mind giving him no replies that could soothe his worn out curator, so he merely looked at him, hoping Theo would understand the sympathy in his eyes. But the curator was too busy rubbing his nose, trying to stall another sneeze. He rubbing had no effect whatsoever.

“Hheh… Eh’kitch~shuh!... Hhih… Ish~tscho!..uhh! Pray forgive this horrid display, my dear CJ.”

CJ really had to say something to comfort Theo’s troubled mind. He thought for a moment. “It-it’s fine, Theo, really. I-I had a lovely evening.” The heart stopping smile that spread across the curator's face was definitely worth it.

“Truly?”

CJ was lost in the curator's affectionate gaze for a moment before he managed to blink and look away. CJ nodded, looking down, feeling the signature spread of warm fluid in his cheeks.

He blinked again, keeping his eyes closed for a little longer. Blinking was starting to get really uncomfortable. CJ couldn't wait to get home and discard the contacts in favour of his glasses.

Tonight had been fun, great even. Absolutely lovely. But it had still taken its toll on the assistant. He was slowly beginning to feel the exhaustion his nerves were causing him.

“You know,” Theo started, sniffling, giving CJ a shy smile, eyes a shade darker than before, his nose flaming red. “We've been working closely together for 2 years now, and my, what lovely 2 years it has been, and I still don't know what CJ stands for.”

An involuntary shiver hit CJ’s tired body with such a force that it made him flinch, his mind instantly bringing back echoes of childhood bullies, school mockery and angry parents shouting his name at each other over the dinner table before his father got up, sent his plate flying across the room and left, not looking back. CJ had regained his equilibrium but had since only presented himself as ‘CJ’. When Callum had found out his name after 10 months of dating, the small jokes and insensitive laughter had started again sounding even worse coming from a grown up.

CJ panicked. His mind quickly presented him his go-to answer.

“It's just CJ.” Of its own accord his voice added a concluding undertone that would make most people shy to ask again. Of course such menial tactics had no effect on the flamboyant curator, whose eyes were already transfixed on the horizon beyond the roof of the car, eyes gazing far off into the distance as if the name could be read from the sky itself.

“I bet it's spectacular.”

CJ couldn't prevent the tremors that started in his hands and chest. Sweat broke out in his face and on his back. He could feel the colour slowly leaving his face. He pinched his eyes shut.

You can't know! You of all people can't know!

Knowing the curator's love of everything grand and spectacular, CJ could only begin to imagine ways the curator could infiltrate his name into his grand theatrics. He wouldn't be able to handle that. The lonely boy surrounded by mocking bullies in his heart wouldn't be able to handle that.

Not you!

He drew a ragged breath, unable to escape the tremors. Out the corner of his eyes he saw the curator's head turn towards him.

“Oh sweet Marie what have I done?” The worry in Theo's voice cut straight to CJ’s heart, but the assistant was fighting to keep himself together and couldn't construct any consoling words.

He didn't mean it, he doesn't know. Calm down CJ, calm down!

The shivers made his already itchy eye sting uncomfortably and his hand flew up to rub them. Despite the salt water drops his eyes felt dry as sandpaper, but the rubbing seemed to reactivate his tear canals, sending a few irritated tears down his cheeks.

“Dear Marie, there really is no hope for me is there?” Theo’s voice sounded so miserable and to CJ's great surprise Theo scooted closer, taking his hand in both of his. “CJ, please…”

CJ couldn't help it, his body and mind were unable to process anything more tonight.

The worry, the nerves, the self consciousness, his stupid contacts, Theo’s mesmerising eyes, the softness of his voice, CJ’s horrible choice of shirt, the mention of his stupid name and now the gentle touch of the curator his heart was aching for. CJ couldn't help it, he flinched, instantly yanking his hand out of the curator's grasp to clutch the handkerchief in his pocket.

Breathe CJ! You're stronger than this!

Custodi Spirandi! Custodi Spirandi!

Even in his own panicky daze he heard Theo succumb to another sneeze followed by a harsh sounding cough. He glanced up. One look at Theo’s face made him instantly regret pulling his hand away. No words could describe the heartbroken look in the creators eyes.

“T-T-T-Th-The-Theo… I-I-I-I-“ CJ’s voice caught, his tremors preventing him from making another sound. He held up his hand but Theo had already moved back, now sitting as far away from CJ as he possibly could in the small space of the back seat.

“You don't have to explain CJ.” The curator said with the saddest expression CJ had ever seen. CJ was sure he heard a tiny crack as his heart started breaking. “I understand.”

He panicked. His nerves were giving him hell wrecking his body with tremors, his mind still replaying bullying and mocking jokes and now Theo… He had no idea what was going on in the curator's mind, but another glance at him through teary eyes only proved that his boss was on the verge of tears himself.

CJ buried his head in his trembling hands, wishing the ground would just swallow him and his stupid nerves up. His own mantra drowned out the bullies.

I came, I saw, I ruined!

Veni Vidi Everterim!

Sister Mary Frances...now I know how you felt after all those MC updates where you accused me of breaking your heart...

Juto this was painfully beautiful. My heart just ached with CJ espc at the end. Oh man...

That's it CJ, you're never wearing colours again! You're practically a traffic-stopping glow-in-the-dark eggplant!

This made me laugh hard XDD

“CJ… I,” the curator lowered his gaze giving his increasingly red nose another insistent rub. He was
obviously struggling with what he wanted to say and the battle against his allergies clearly wasn't helping the matter. CJ had never seen Theo at a loss for words, it was oddly… endearing.

HNNNNGGGGGGGG It is adorable!! Mr Flamboyant being all shy like cutiefessor....my heart MY HEART

More than once CJ had caught Theo staring at him, his expression unreadable.

AHHHHHHH SERIOUSLY JUTO!!!!

“Please forgive me CJ for ruining an otherwise magical evening in your company.” The curator said as the car sped through the dark city. He was sitting back against the seat, his red nose a stark contrast to his slightly pale face and glisteningly moist forehead. “I'm sure I must look the very image of distasteful.” His voice sounded harsher than it had inside, and CJ noticed the constant sniffles had taken on a wetter-sounding quality.

Aww Theo :hug: you're getting sick aren't you :heart:

If I could quote the entire ending I would, Theo pulling back from CJ just killed me. My poor curator.

I loved this, I'd going to read it again and again and again. Also dead at the number of times Theo rubbed his nose....hnnnnngggggg

pfft and you were worried about writing somethiing Id like... :P

Still loving the up dates, but I already told you that. Kaze, you are in for more cuteness and heart melting moments. Bring a bucket! :D

Terrific! All that wonderful historical detail; and the latin! Ofcourse I have difficulty with "custodi spirandi". To the guard of the breathing? It's not gerundive attraction, is it?? I grasped it once but then forgot it again/; I like everterim. It reminds me of "oderint dum metuunt", Nero's demonstration of at least three grammar points/.

And the story is brilliant too,,

Hallo. does your name Juto mean that like me, you are a Jute, or Euthio as Venantius calls us? Shades of Saxo Grammaticus..

ETA What I meant to say and forgot; Too black indeed; black tie, black shirt, black jacket; SHUDDER!

Sister Mary Frances...now I know how you felt after all those MC updates where you accused me of breaking your heart.

GOD, FINALLY!!! I'd let you borrow my patchwork gear, but it's used up! ;)

Aww Theo you're getting sick aren't you

That would be a "yes" :lol:

Still loving the up dates, but I already told you that. Kaze, you are in for more cuteness and heart melting moments. Bring a bucket! :D

Awww thanks :hug:

Haha bucket...

Terrific! All that wonderful historical detail; and the latin! Ofcourse I have difficulty with "custodi spirandi". To the guard of the breathing? It's not gerundive attraction, is it?? I grasped it once but then forgot it again/; I like everterim. It reminds me of "oderint dum metuunt", Nero's demonstration of at least three grammar points/.

Wow, thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

Custodi Spirandi is Latin for "keep breathing" but Latin being Latin it means 20 other things too. To lessen the confusion I always put the English words with the translation the first couple of times I use it.

To answer your other question... Uhm, I'm Danish, so I guess... No? Sorry ;)

And CJ really is all black on black! Makes him more invisible... That's really how he rolls. ;)

Chapter 4 – Res, Non Verba

Damage control, CJ, damage control. You love your job! You want to keep your job! You want to stay with Theo! Damage control!

Theo,

I apologise. My eyes were itchy and I really don't want to talk about my name. I'll see you tomorrow. -CJ

ARGH!

CJ feverishly pressed the delete button on his phone, erasing the drafted text message for what felt like the 100th time. His body was still shivering despite the blanket around his shoulders and the comforting handkerchief in his hand. The conversation in the car and his own inadequate manners to Theo’s harmless notion kept replaying in his head.

How the hell could he make up for this? If he only knew what had been going on in Theo’s mind, how his boss had perceived the situation. But CJ barely understood his own perception of what had happened in the car ride home, let alone Theo’s. He lifted up his glasses, rubbing his sore eyes which only felt worse with the occasional gathering of salty liquid that CJ quickly blinked away.

How could he possibly face Theo tomorrow?

~ ~ ~

CJ sat at his desk, his hand tapping nervously as he waited for Theo to appear. The assistant had already arranged the curator's coffee and morning bagel on his desk, striving for a flawless work performance today. He glanced at his phone. 8.30. He couldn't remember a time Theo had ever come to work after 8. The museum was still closed, all departments focusing on the grand exhibition on Monday. CJ had brought the layout he had presented to the curator at the restaurant last night, ready for Theo to hand out tasks to the staff, but the curator had still not showed.

CJ took the plans and headed out to the reception desk to make copies for the staff.

Alice, the ever smiling receptionist greeted him as he handed her the plans requesting enough for the entire work force.

“Here you go, CJ. Oh, and Theo left this for you.” She handed him a handwritten note with the finished copies.

CJ froze. Theo had been here? He looked at Alice, too unprepared to say anything. She must have read the confusion on his face.

“He was just here, asking to leave you a note. He said he had business out of town today.” She smiled at him and went back to her computer.

CJ was in shock. His mind wanted answers that he couldn't possibly voice. How had he looked? What had he said? Why hadn't he just come to CJ in the office. Thinking back on last night's event, CJ could probably guess the answer to the last question.

He walked down towards the exhibition room, reading the note as he went.

CJ,

Forgive me for what happened last night. Please know it is not the cause of my absence today.

Take this as a written approval of the plans you presented me last night and my permission to engage.

I have the utmost faith in you.

If in doubt, always serve the cake.

- TJ

CJ smiled at that last Marie Antoinette reference, but worry quickly took over again.

Not only did he have to prepare himself for the task of involving the entire work force in his plans – he started shivering at the mere thought as he fought not to let his feet turn him around and head back to his office to hide – he had to do it without Theo to guide him.

Sweet Marie, help me!

His nerves got the better of him and he had to grip the wax and gold brocade shoulder of Elizabeth I for support.

Deep breaths CJ, I'm sure Elizabeth got nervous too.

He looked his favourite historical figure in the eye, searching for anything that could give him strength to do what he had to do. Suddenly her immortal words swam into his mind

“There is nothing about which I am more anxious than my country, and for its sake I am willing to die ten deaths if that be possible.”

CJ puffed his chest, hands still twitching nervously. He loved the museum and he loved his job. He wanted more than anything to be able to keep it. He could do this! He owed it to Theo!

Veni Vidi Vici.

~ ~ ~

CJ took a step back to appraise today’s work.

Just what Marie Antoinette would have done.

He smiled to himself as he stood next to Elizabeth I Coronation gown in the dead centre of the exhibition room looking out at grand collection of Elizabethan trinkets, clothes, jewellery, silverware, fabrics and furniture that were ready to be admired and adored come Monday. He took out his phone and snapped a few pictures that he promised himself he would send to Theo later with some sort of explanation for last night. He looked back at what he had accomplished that day and nodded in satisfaction..

It had been a long day, but under CJ’s watchful, albeit quite twitchy eye they were slightly ahead of schedule with only 3 more days to go before the grand opening Monday night. Most of the staff were off for the weekend, including CJ, they all needed to recharge before things took off Monday. A few staff members would remain to handle preparations, but all in all, they were nearly done.

CJ went to his desk to pick up a small box containing a necklace that had once belonged to Anne Boleyn, mother of Elizabeth I. CJ had originally wanted it displayed next to the jewellery Elizabeth had worn at her coronation, but had decided against it last minute. This was one cake he would not serve.

With a glance at his watch, realising it was well past 10 pm he threw on his coat and headed to the vault with the necklace.

Halfway down the stairs he heard a clank of what sounded like porcelain hitting the floor and breaking.

“Oh sweet Marie, Louis XIV, pray forgive me.”

CJ froze on the stairs.

Theo!

He sped up, practically running towards the muttered sounds of distress. Turning the last corner to the vault he came to an abrupt halt. Theo was on his knees on the floor, bend over the broken porcelain pieces of what to CJ looked like one of the dancing figurines that had graced the bedroom of Louis XIV of France. Without hesitation he crouched down and helped pick up the pieces of broken porcelain.

Theo startled, looking up at CJ with a gasp and that's when CJ first took notice of his appearance.

This certainly looked like his boss, but it was a sweaty, pale and very restrained version of him. CJ gaped as he locked eyes with the depleted version of the curator he knew and adored. Theo's cheeks were flushed and his eyes rimmed with read lines. His nose was bright red and chapped and CJ noticed that he was shivering slightly underneath a knitted grey, and very un-Theo-like sweater.

CJ’s worry for the man in front of him buried any notion of nerves. He had meant to be caring and thoughtful and humble but what came out of his mouth was…

“What are you doing down here?”

CJ you idiot!

But Theo didn't answer, his face had gone slack and his nose was scrunched up. He turned to the side, aiming for his shoulder.

“Hheh’ektsschoo! K’ehtschoo! Hheh… O-oh… Eh’kehtsschoo!”

CJ recoiled, taken aback. This sounded nothing like the showy, melodic outburst of sneezes he was used to hearing from the curator. These were harsh sounding, wet and all consuming. Theo’s body had snapped forward with the force and he had dropped all the pieces of porcelain in his hands.

Theo groaned in the aftermath and covered his mouth with his hand to cough. CJ wasn't really sure how to react so he just continued to collect the pieces of porcelain. He suddenly remembered there was a small broom in locker 4 that he had been in last Friday. He quickly went to the panel, inserted his key and pressed the code to open locker 4.

“No, CJ! Pray don't!”

He turned back towards Theo as the thick metal door slowly glided open, shocked at the sheer panic in the older man's face. He turned back towards the locker as the beep announced it open. His eyes widened in surprise.

Inside the locker was a travel mattress with a crumpled up blanket on top and on the floor next to it were several suitcases stacked, one on top of another. Balled up tissues were scattered on the floor with a few to-go-cups and a single pharmacy bag.

CJ gasped. On the wall, on a single hook with a coat hanger was the purple brocade vest the curator had worn at the hors d’oeuvres tasting the night before.

It wasn't hard to connect the dots. CJ swallowed his nerves.

“You've b-been sleeping down he-here?” He slowly walked back towards Theo who was still on his knees on the floor. The curator didn't look up, merely gave a wet and congested sniffle in reply.

“For how long?” He crouched down in front of the curator, broken porcelain completely forgotten.

Theo's shoulders heaved and fell with a heavy sigh and he finally looked up at CJ. The dark green eyes were full of shame.

“Sorry what?” The curator's muttered answer had been too low for human ears. Theo cleared his throat, wincing.

“Since Friday.”

Since Friday? After the dinner with Nathaniel? CJ could only guess as to what had happened, but one thing was clear, Theodore James and Nathaniel Marc were not living together anymore. Maybe they had even broken things off for good? Amidst his worry for the weakened boss in front of him, CJ’s heart did a little quickstep. He turned his attention away from his own thoughts and back to the curator. He sniffled, feeling the dust settle in his own nose. He ignored it.

“No wonder your allergies have been so bad lately.” Theo had practically been sleeping in dust and CJ felt the slight coolness of a draft from the ventilation system too. No wonder the man in front of him was shivering.

Theo's exhausted nod was lost as his body snapped forward with another set of all consuming sneezes.

“Eh’ketsschoo! K’etchoo! Hheh… Eh’hnxxtschoo!”

The force caused Theo to loose his balance, falling forward towards CJ who quickly bought his hands out to steady him. The older man’s body now closer CJ could feel the heat rising up from underneath the grey sweater and radiate off of his face. He spoke his mind before his nerves had a chance to intervene.

“It's not just allergies anymore is it?” He winced, keeping his hands on Theo’s shoulder as the curator’s body tensed with a wracking cough.

“Nathaniel’s generous parting gift.” Theo choked out after the cough had subsided. CJ noticed the congestion in the hoarse voice. “ He was feeling sick at the Nimb, yet insisted on having the dinner.” He kept his head low, not meeting CJ’s eyes. “We talked things over, kissed our goodbyes and he was gracious enough to let me back into his apartment to collect my things.” He shamefully looked at the sad excuse for a bed in the locker. “The city hotels are full of potential investors, patrons and appraisers, all here for the exhibition on Monday. My brother lives several hours away, my own apartment’s still damaged by the water… I… My work, the exhibition… I… “ he swallowed, clearing his throat. “I didn't really hhh-have anywhere else to go.”

The last few words were spoken with haste before a single hitch announced another explosive sneeze.

“Eh’TSCHOO!”

And it's friends.

“K’etsschoo! Hn’txxnschoo! Ugh, and I highly doubt the draft down here is helping much.” He wiped his nose with the back of his hand.

CJ blushed as his hands of their own accord squeezed the curator's shoulders affectionately. Theo suddenly met his eyes and seemed to find his inner flamboyant curator again. He flashed a beautiful, albeit week smile.

“Not to worry CJ, I shall be up and fit for fight in a jiffy. At least my temporary sleeping arrangements allows fresh air. What more could I possibly desire.”

CJ shook his head as anger rose in him. Enough was enough! No more downplay!

“Will you SHUT. UP.?

The words had come out at a much higher decibel than he’d planned and both himself and the curator seemed shocked at his outburst. CJ's face was now a deep shade of red his breathing shallow. His mind begged him to run… Or faint! Anything that could help him escape the embarrassment.

“By Antoinette, CJ! I didn't know you could shout, I don't think I've ever heard that before.” Theo started to chuckle but they quickly turned to coughs, making him wince in pain.

CJ hung his head, his ears and cheeks burning from embarrassment.

Breathe CJ, just keep breathing.

Custodi Spirandi.

“I'm sorry,” he muttered once he trusted his voice and the curator had stopped coughing. “It won't happen again.” He peeked up to see the curator give him a kind smile before the quizzical expression screwed up his face and the sneezes forced themselves out of him, throwing him forward.

“Hheh’ektsschoo! K’nxxtschoo! Hheh… Eh’kehtsschoo!”

CJ, with his hands still on Theo’s shoulders steadying him, glanced back at the locker with the thin travel mattress that in no way looked comfortable and the even thinner blanket that couldn't possibly keep the windy chill at bay. He looked back at Theo who had produced a crumpled up, tissue from his pocket giving his nose a wipe. This was no place for a sick person to be resting, certainly not Theodore James. That man deserved a sickbed at the Ritz.

CJ swallowed nervously, battling his own mind. He wanted to help! He needed to help!

He could help!

Veni Vidi Vici.

His place was certainly not the Ritz, but a damn lot better than a chilled museum basement. He opened his mouth before his mind had time to come up with a pathetic excuse to not let the curator stay with him for a few days until he was back on his feet. To CJ’s great pleasure his heart seemed the win the battle and the dizziness that had briefly swept over him at the mere thought of what he was about to propose abated.

He took a deep breath.

“When is your own apartment ready?”

Theo coughed into his wrist. “It should be ready for me to move back in on Tuesday. I'll be fine here until then.” CJ frowned. The curator's complexion strongly disagreed with that statement,

Tuesday, that was 4 days away, the day after the grand opening. CJ nodded. His nerves would probably make him pay for this decision later. Regardless, 4 days in CJ’s flat was certainly better for the curator's health than 4 more days in this chilled and dusty vault.

Nerves be damned, his heart wouldn't bulge.

“Come on.” CJ stood and held out his hand for Theo. “Get your things, I'll call for a taxi.”

Theo merely looked at him, eyes weary.

“I can't leave, CJ. The exhibition… My work… I-“ his voice broke and another lung clenching cough wrenched from him.

“You CAN leave, Theodore!” CJ used his full name hoping that would make the curator see reason. “The exhibition is DONE, technicians are working on the lights, the cleaning crew will make sure everything is spotless. You do not have to be here!” He stressed the last sentence, making sure each work sank in.

“Regardless.” CJ had never heard his boss sounding so resigned. Theo looked up at him, eyes glossy. “I don't want anyone to see me like this. This is not Theodore James.”

There was no way CJ could argue with that assessment. There was nothing flamboyant or spectacular about the shivering, red nosed and depleted man in front of him. But he was still Theodore James. CJ’s boss, friend… And the man his heart yearned for.

“No one will see you, Theodore.” The curator's look turned curious. “ You’ll be staying with me.”

Curiosity quickly turned to sadness and Theo hung his head, slowly shaking it from side to side.

“I couldn't possibly CJ, not after…” He trailed off, but CJ new what he meant.

Not after last night.

Be strong CJ! Conquer!

“You can and you will!” He reached out his hand again. “I won't leave you down here, not like this.” Theo was still hesitant. CJ sighed and sat down on the floor in front of him. “Theo, I have a comfortable couch, a spare comforter and pillow, soup in the freezer, water to make tea, an actual shower.” He looked around, a smile breaking through. He was happy to see the curator smile back.

“I would be imposing, CJ, and in my current state-“ he gestured to himself as a dark shadow fell over his eyes. “I know I'm the very picture of disgust to you.”

What? CJ had no idea what Theo meant by that. He shrugged it off, saving the comment to ponder over later. Not now. Now, all he had to do was to get the curator back home with him.

“Theo? What would Marie Antoinette do?”

The curator's eyes widened. “For the love of pomp and circumstance, Marie Antoinette would never abandon her work, she would-“

“I doubt Marie Antoinette ever had to arrange a museum-saving exhibition while fighting off a terrible cold and a possible fever to match in the aftermath of a breakup that left her sleeping in the dusty and chilly vault!” The words had escaped CJ before he could stop them. His entire body shook with nervous tremors and he closed his eyes, fighting to keep his breathing steady. Tiny black spots started to cloud his vision. When he opened them again he looked pleadingly at the curator. “She would take the cake, Theo. Right now you're sleeping in a cold and dusty basement, clearly suffering because of it and I'm offering you a warm and comfortable couch to sleep on. Take it, Theo.”

The curator smiled, but he was still not convinced. “CJ, I…”

“I'm not leaving without you, Theodore!” CJ tried his best to adopt a confident voice. “I'm not taking ‘no’ for an answer.” He reached out his hand again. His heart practically leapt form his chest as the curator smiled weakly in appreciation and placed his clammy hand in CJ’s.

They had barely made it to the car before CJ’s nerves were back making him tremble and feel dizzy thinking about what he had just done. The curator was coming back home with him. Theodore James, the Theodore James was going to be sleeping on CJ's couch. Ave Caesar!

Morituri te salutant.

We who are about to die salute you.

*cracks knuckles*

OK first of all, CJ dear I am so proud of you!! One you got everything done for the exhibition without Mr. Pomp and Circumstance around and TWO you swallowed your nerves and got Theo to stay with you. Liam would be proud!! ;)

If in doubt, always serve the cake.

This was one cake he would not serve.

Seriously great line, totally fits not only the feel of the fict but the two characters in general. Your historical use of lines and setting really have set this apart to something I couldnt even imagine receiving even when you were trolling me about it before posting XD

Theo's cheeks were flushed and his eyes rimmed with read lines. His nose was bright red and chapped and CJ noticed that he was shivering slightly underneath a knitted grey, and very un-Theo-like sweater.

IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID SINCE NOW IM A PILE OF FANGIRL GOO!!!! Hello every fetish I have wrapped up in one sexy man.

“Nathaniel’s generous parting gift.” Theo choked out after the cough had subsided. CJ noticed the congestion in the hoarse voice. “ He was feeling sick at the Nimb, yet insisted on having the dinner.” He kept his head low, not meeting CJ’s eyes. “We talked things over, kissed our goodbyes and he was gracious enough to let me back into his apartment to collect my things.”

Aww my sweet cutierator :heart: So sad :(

CJ blushed as his hands of their own accord squeezed the curator's shoulders affectionately. Theo suddenly met his eyes and seemed to find his inner flamboyant curator again. He flashed a beautiful, albeit week smile.

“Not to worry CJ, I shall be up and fit for fight in a jiffy. At least my temporary sleeping arrangements allows fresh air. What more could I possibly desire.”

CJ shook his head as anger rose in him. Enough was enough! No more downplay!

“Will you SHUT. UP.?

THIS! This exchanged was my absolute favorite, I actually think my mouth opened when I read it. Sweet shy CJ finally finding his voice to get Theo off his golden diamond encrusted throne of flamboyance. Loved it!!

“No one will see you, Theodore.” The curator's look turned curious. “ You’ll be staying with me.”

Won't you stay with me, cause you're all I need~~ Hehehehee

The curator's eyes widened. “For the love of pomp and circumstance,

This line is so Theo I might just steal it. Even in his state he can't not be Theodore James :heart:

“I'm not taking ‘no’ for an answer.”

GO GO GO YOU SHY BOY!! Nerves be damned get your man well again!!

God Juto I've run out of praise for this. I adore it all and have probably read not only this part at least 6 times but the entire thing over and over and over. I can't wait to see what happens next!!

I :heart: you so hard :hug:

More excellent narrative plus historical detail; particularly the Elizabethan stuff and all that list of artefacts. But Yippee, CJ has finally overcome his nerves. Vici indeed.

Are you not from Jutland? Or is it Jylland? Obviously if so, you are a Jute like me. since as early as 440 our sacred double Horsekings Hengist and Horsa invaded the Kingdom of Kent.

Ahhhhh Theo and CJ and Cuteness and Gahhhhhh how does this keep happening you guys keep coming out with this cuteness and I just can't handle it nghaahhhah why!?!?!?!

*ahem*

What I meant to say is this is the very epitome of adorable and I am soooo glad at the chance to see it happening! Juto, you're amazing!

“Will you SHUT. UP.?

The words had come out at a much higher decibel than he’d planned and both himself and the curator seemed shocked at his outburst. CJ's face was now a deep shade of red his breathing shallow. His mind begged him to run… Or faint! Anything that could help him escape the embarrassment.

“By Antoinette, CJ! I didn't know you could shout, I don't think I've ever heard that before.” Theo started to chuckle but they quickly turned to coughs, making him wince in pain.

This is my favorite part. CJ grew some and Theo is amused. Perfect!

I am looking forward to all the fluffy care taking that is coming up. *sits back and pulls out a bowl of popcorn* Popcorn anyone?

I am looking forward to all the fluffy care taking that is coming up. *sits back and pulls out a bowl of popcorn* Popcorn anyone?

*pulls out box of soda* trade you a can for a handful of popcorn

Hello. I am really enjoying this story. I like how you both capture the feeling of social anxiety and use proper Latin. I cannot wait to read more. :-)

Seriously great line, totally fits not only the feel of the fict but the two characters in general. Your historical use of lines and setting really have set this apart to something I couldnt even imagine receiving even when you were trolling me about it before posting XD

Aww thanks! I tried not to give too much away, but it was haaaaaaard *whine*'cuz I wanted your opinion on EVERYTHING!! I'm thrilled you love it :heart:

IGNORE EVERYTHING I JUST SAID SINCE NOW IM A PILE OF FANGIRL GOO!!!! Hello every fetish I have wrapped up in one sexy man.

SS accomplished I'd say. ;) hehe

More excellent narrative plus historical detail; particularly the Elizabethan stuff and all that list of artefacts. But Yippee, CJ has finally overcome his nerves. Vici indeed.Are you not from Jutland? Or is it Jylland? Obviously if so, you are a Jute like me. since as early as 440 our sacred double Horsekings Hengist and Horsa invaded the Kingdom of Kent.

Årh hvad? Er du fra Jylland? Vær hilset Greve ;) Jeg er dog født og opvokset på sjælland og bor stadig i storkøbenhavn.

Vici i den grad :lol: jeg er glad for du kan lide min historie :)

*pulls out box of soda* trade you a can for a handful of popcorn

Hug. First of all! Argh! I'm nervous now :(

Second, wow. It's so much more fun to be on your side.

*tosses iPad, grabs nachos and ginger beer and heads to the campsite. Sits herself comfortable between you discreetly nudging you with an excited "iiiihhh I wonder what's gonna happen next"*

Ahhhhh Theo and CJ and Cuteness and Gahhhhhh how does this keep happening you guys keep coming out with this cuteness and I just can't handle it nghaahhhah why!?!?!?!

*ahem*

What I meant to say is this is the very epitome of adorable and I am soooo glad at the chance to see it happening! Juto, you're amazing!

OMG SUCH PRAISE! :blush: thank you aww :heart: I'm so glad you like it.

Hello. I am really enjoying this story. I like how you both capture the feeling of social anxiety and use proper Latin. I cannot wait to read more. :-)

Haha yeah, I think Kaze started and "anxiety" wave in the fiction department ;)

Aww thanks. I hope you'll enjoy the next bit. (And the ones after that... Planning 9 in total... With a possible epilogue... Maybe even a sequel... *shhhh*)

Aww thanks. I hope you'll enjoy the next bit. (And the ones after that... Planning 9 in total... With a possible epilogue... Maybe even a sequel... *shhhh*)

DO NOT TEASE ME!!!

Archived