Sneeze Fetish Forum

What would Marie Antoinette do? (Secret Santa for Kaze wo hiku) 13 parts + Epilogue :)

Juto

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given my love of character interactions these was like Christmas, New Years and my birthday all rolled into one giant 10 tier cake!!

Uhm, then I hope you won't mind about 10 pages more? :whistle:

Juto...I cant even BEGIN to describe how awesome this chapter was!!!

Awwwww :heart: BLF! Big time!!!! ;)

Ohhhh my god the romantic tension!

Ahhh I know! I just hope I can write them out of it when I need them too :lol:

Teddy" is just adorable! I love it. Tell me you have a some equally cute nickname planned for CJ.

Hehe well, CJ has an actual NAME! Hehe *nudge nudge hint hint wink wink say no more* ;)

Awww! So much love! These two are Adorable! They need to love each other! They are perfect! I love all the literary content. And Teddy! Too sweet! I love this so much!

Awwww thank you so much! :heart:

Is CJ going to get sick? That would be a turn of events

Well, ahem. I DO have a sequel in pre-production.... So, maybe? Not this time around though, but there will be some h/c in role reversal.

Chapter 9 – Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea.

CJ had spent most of Saturday evening watching over his sleeping and still feverish boss, observing Theo's tense facial lines smoothen, his shivers subside and his breathing ease as the medicine worked its magic from within. CJ provided what he considered to be calming nurture as he let his fingers glide over Theo's head whenever he felt the man beside him stir.

His gentle touch made Theo let out a content mumble before settling into a calmer sleep not letting the fever dreams ruin his healing rest. The curator had awoken sometime around 8 as his stuffed up nose didn't allow him any more rest without some kind of relief. CJ had swallowed his worry and provided Theo with a new dose of cold medicines half and hour before the scheduled intake demanding that his patient not take the medicines on an empty stomach. One mug of tea and half a bowl of soup later Theo was once again curled up on the couch head resting comfortably on his pillows and with his wooly feet peeking out from under the comforter.

Due to the amount of attention his cold ridden nose was receiving the poor organ looked irritatingly sensitive and CJ had noted that even the smallest of inducers, the steam from his tea, a stray hair, the change in the still air as CJ walked past him, could send the curator into a fit of all consuming body wrenching sneezes that only resulted in more attention to his nose.

During one such fit CJ had supported Theo to keep the ailing patient from tumbling headfirst onto the floor and had received an attempted Elizabethan curtsy of gratitude in response. However, the attempt had been poorly executed as Theo had had to grab onto CJ mid-bow as another violent sneeze compromised his balance.

Despite feeling very sorry for Theo and the misery his poor nose was giving him, the whole incident had been so endearingly pathetic that CJ hadn't been able to keep a straight face. He instantly regretted his humour and offered a stammered apology promising to stay seated and keep Theo's hair out of his face to prevent any further sneezing fits. But Theo's nose had other plans.

After another half hour of non stop sneezing, the medicine finally kicked in and allowed the curator some much needed rest from his current ailment. CJ caught himself nodding a few time, jerking awake after what had merely felt like a prolonged blink. The previous night’s lack of sleep was getting to him but he fought to stay awake watching over his boss, monitoring his erratic fever by testing his forehead as often as he could convince himself it was necessary, which truth be told seemed a lot more frequent than actually needed.

CJ had no idea what time he had dozed off but he vaguely remember being nudged into a somewhat horizontal position, his glasses being removed and his lower body covered with a warm blanket. His low mumble of some incoherent version of “thank you” was met by a hoarse yet still melodic chuckle and an amused “as you wish” before the heavy blanket of sleep was once again draped over his senses.

~ ~ ~

The sound of Sunday church bells being carried by the wind and the corresponding howl from CJ’s upstairs neighbour’s mutt slowly brought CJ’s mind to a displeasing state of groggy wakefulness. He groaned loudly and tossed to the side as he would normally do in his bed only this time he found himself tumbling to the floor. Arching his now aching back he mumbled a series of curse words casting a blurry glance at his cherubs above him as his groggy mind tried to work out why in Caesar’s name he was suddenly on his back on the floor of his living room.

He heard a low sound of distress to his right and a bustle of fabric before a blurry face suddenly swam into view.

“By Marie, CJ my befuddled morning star, are you alright?”

CJ blushed as he recognised the still hoarse voice of his boss and squinted his eyes to make out messy dark locks framing a both pale and flushed face wearing thick framed black glasses and a worried frown.

“Fine. M’fine!” CJ managed through a barely concealed yawn much to his own dismay as he heard Theo chuckle lightly. Glancing under the couch CJ let out a gasp as he noticed 3 brightly coloured post-its. He swiftly reached out and picked them off the floor stuffing them in his pocket without Theo noticing. The curator’s chuckle turned into a harsh cough and CJ scrambled to his feet to help steady Theo and lower him back onto the couch.

“Pray forgive me CJ.” Theo croaked after the fit as CJ reached for his own glasses and a fresh handkerchief for Theo. “My lungs still seem determined to torment me.”

“It's fine Theo.” Glasses now improving his vision, CJ noticed a touch of sadness settle in Theo's eyes, but the older man composed himself before CJ could even consider constructing an inquiry. Instead he brought his hand up to feel the curator's forehead, gently brushing a stray lock away to rest his wrist against the hot but no longer burning brow.

“I uhm, I-I think your fever finally broke.” CJ was happy to determine that Saturday had seemed to be the peak in Theo's illness. In all probability the curator was on the mend. Theo suddenly pulled away from his hand and CJ felt a pang of rejection before he realised why.

“Eehk’tischoo!... Hhh… Eh’ketschuh!... O-oh sweet…Ma-hhh…”

Not letting the handkerchief down, Theo waved it back and forth in front of his face, teasing out the tickle with air.

“… Hheh… He’ktschoo!...k’tsch! Hh… Eh’ketschuh!-uhh! Oh, delightful!”

He blew his nose forcefully igniting a cough and CJ found his own hand stroking Theo's back through the fit handing him his glass of water once he could breathe again.

“By Antoinette, Dr. Bennett,” Theo took a sip, setting the glass down. “Does my improved state of health mean that I can venture a trip to the bathroom without your assistance?” Theo's face was one of exaggerated delight and CJ cracked a smile before he nodded going to the bathroom to draw the curator a nice hot bath, steamy enough to hopefully break up more of that congested crap in his head.

As the hot water filled the tub CJ rummaged in his medicine cabinet and found a mint oil. He added a few drops to the steaming water, knowing the strong minty smell would probably provoke a few sneezes, nevertheless it was great for clearing up clogged sinuses.

CJ quickly pulled his handkerchief from his pocket pinching his nose through it hoping Theo wasn't standing outside the door.

“N’xt! Nxxt! Hh… H’gkt! H’nxt’ch!”

He quickly tended to his nose and walked back to the living room letting out a laugh as Theo was beaming at him from the centre of the room. With his still sickly looking skin, his chapped, cherry red nose and his sweaty and sleep tousled hair he didn't exactly look like someone you'd expect to be beaming. Nevertheless…

“Behold CJ, my nursing benefactor.” CJ's heart quickly jumped into its dancing shoes and set off at the sight of Theo's gleaming smile. “I am vertical.” The ridiculous proclamation made CJ laugh and applause as Theo took several smaller steps up to stand next to him. “Thanks to you, my dear.” CJ was unprepared for the compliment and froze in place blinking rapidly a few times to bring focus back as Theo wobbled past him, heading for the bathroom. The stammering assistant could barely get out where Theo could find soap, shampoo and extra towels.

The sense of reality didn't quite return to him until he heard a small fit of ticklish sneezes from the bathroom, no doubt brought on by the minty oil and the steam.

“Ihk’tsch! K’tsch! Ih’tshuh...ahh.”

CJ muttered an apology towards the door, feeling a bit guilty for having provoked such a fit. Hopefully it would improve Theo's blocked sinuses.

“Ih’kitschoo! K’nxt! K’nxxt! Hh…Ehk’tschoo!”

CJ narrowed his eyes, staring at the door. Shouldn't Theo's sneezing have let up by now?

“Ih’ktsch! Ih’ktsch! Hhe… Eh’tschoo!”

He had heard Theo attempting to battle his allergies before, but these ticklish eruptions seemed endless. Worried, he walked up and knocked on the door. “Theo are you alright?”

“Splendid, tha-hh.. Thank you. Ehk’etchoo!-uhh! Hh… Ehk’tsch! Ih’tsch! … Though there… hhh… seem to be a very… hh-strong smell of mi.. hhh… Mint… Eh’ktschuh! Ihk’tschoo! K’tsch! Ih’ktsch!”

CJ cursed under his breath. “Sorry Theo, I uhm, I forgot to mention that. I-I thought it would help clear your stuffiness.”

“Kh’ehtschoo!-uhh! K’tschuh! Ih’tsch! Hh… Ehk’tischoo! Ahh, Marie be blessed.” CJ heard some deep sniffles and a harsh, dry, chesty cough. He winced. “You were right, CJ my thoughtful host. The sensation… hhh... is little sho-hhh-short of … wonderful… Hh… Eh’ktschuh! Ih’ktschoo! Hh… He’ehktschoo! Ahh, delightful.”

“There's a clean stack of handkerchiefs by the sink.” CJ heard the water slosh as Theo must have repositioned himself to reach them. A muffled couple of sneezes confirmed his theory.

Another muffled, ticklish fit later Theo's slightly congested and still hoarse voice sang from the bathroom.

“Thank you darling.”

CJ huffed a laugh, shaking his head. Oh Theodore James was definitely on the mend but CJ found himself hoping that ‘Teddy’ wouldn't be completely hidden beneath elaborate gestures and melodic comments.

Muttering a blessing to the door he left the curator to his bath and brought his laptop over to the kitchen counter so he could work and prepare breakfast at the same time.

Waiting for the water to boil, the toast to toast and the sizzling eggs to cook sunny side up, CJ prepared an email for Alice, attaching the finished documents of Theo's speech, the time schedules and the menus adding instructions as to how the documents were to be printed, folded and placed. Inserting the usual greeting at the end he pressed ‘send’.

CJ was startled at the ping of an incoming email a minute later.

~ Consider it done, CJ.

Everything here is fine, nearly ready for the big opening tomorrow.

You weren't planning on coming in today were you?

- Alice ~

CJ typed a quick “No” explaining that what remained on his part could be finished from home. He wasn't going to leave Theo alone unless it was absolutely necessary. Alice's reply came shortly after.

~ Splendid! ~

CJ smiled. Most of the staff took after their extravagant curator, Alice most of all. She and Theo seemed close. CJ suspected there was a smaller crush involved. Alice was a few years his senior, a bright young woman with endless smiles and chipper comments. A crush on her (albeit perceptibly more flamboyant) male equivalent seemed likely.

~See you Monday CJ, keep up the good work.~

Assuming Alice meant the documents CJ typed a quick “Thank you, you too.” And hit ‘send’.

He was arranging the breakfast on platters adding a new dose of cold meds to one of the plates when Theo re-emerged from the bathroom, long, black hair messy from towel drying yet still dripping onto his shoulders. He wore a new pair at pyjamas, this one so deep amber it was nearly black if it hadn't been for the single thick amber thread artistically doodled down the front and back of both top and bottom part. CJ hadn't noticed it in Theo's suitcase, but figured it must have been at the bottom underneath sweats and T-shirts.

With an exhausted sigh Theo suddenly swayed loosing his balance. CJ dropped the forks in his hand and rushed to him, seizing him around the waist. Trusting the curator's legs to carry his body with a little help CJ manoeuvred him over to the couch as he muttered in his best Theodore James tour guide voice.

“Ladies and G-Gentlemen t-thank you very much for joining us on this grand t-tour of my assistant’s delightful apartment, p-please remain seated for the remainder of the day and d-don't forget to pop by our gift shop on your way out.” He practically dumped Theo onto the couch with a shy smile going back to fetch the tray. Looking over his shoulder he saw Theo shake his head to clear it, blinking rapidly a few times. CJ figured the sick curator must be low on blood sugar and added a bit of extra honey in his cup.

From the kitchen counter CJ noticed Theo was looking at something in his hands but he was too busy trying to pour boiling water into cups, adding instant coffee to his own and a tea bag in Theo's, to see what it was.

As CJ brought the tray over setting it down gently on the coffee table and seating himself in his armchair Theo opened his mouth. For a split second, CJ thought he was singing. His voice was low and clear, his vocals drawn out and his consonants carefully articulated. It took the assistant another split second to realise that Theo wasn't speaking English.

Bemused, he looked up to see Theo’s scrunched up face of exertion. His bespectacled eyes were focused on a small piece of orange paper in his hands.

“Be-a-tus homo qui.” Theo read in a calm, steady voice, tasting the words as they were pronounced.

CJ nearly dropped his plate.

“In-ve-nit.”

Shocked, CJ recognised one of his post-it's with a Latin phrase on it in Theo's hand…

“Sa-pi-en-ti-am… Sapientiam.”

… And Theodore James was reading it out loud!

Ave Ceasar!

Custodi Spirandi!

The translation ricocheted in CJ’s mind, bouncing back and forth in his head. ‘Blessed is the man who finds wisdom’. Well, wisdom be damned, CJ needed an escape and he was willing to bless whoever found him one.

Motionless with shock CJ was mortified when Theo pulled another post-it from his chest pocket – this one a bright pink. Quickly CJ padded his own trouser pockets, suddenly remembering the ones he had stuffed in there earlier. They weren't there. They must have fallen out of his pocket when he'd pulled his handkerchief in the bathroom. He could feel his hands starting to quiver, his breathing getting slightly exhausted.

Oblivious to CJ’s inner panic Theo mused over his find.“Dear Marie, this is a long one.” He sniffled, carefully wiped his sore, red nose with his handkerchief and coughed lightly into his wrist.

“Cu-i-us-vis hominis est-“ Theo paused to cough.

“Est errare, nullius nisi insipientis in errore perseverare.” CJ's voice finished in flawless Latin much to his mind’s great horror. He panicked, looking anywhere but at Theo. He knew the quote by heart but hadn't meant to speak it out loud.

‘Anyone can err but only the fool persists in his fault’.

By Caesar why did he say it out loud?

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant!

“Are these… Are these all in Latin?” Theo sounded amazed. “Dear Marie, I didn't even realise. How spectacular!” Nerves somewhat calmed from Theo's relaxed reaction to his post-its CJ turned back to look at his boss, nervously beating heart adding a skip-pity-hop at the boyish grin on his face.

“I can barely recall a few quotes from university.” The curator mused, eyes turned towards a memory. “My boyfriend at the time used to strike a pose at the entrance to our local mall, snap his fingers like a true diva and loudly exclaim “Veni, Vidi, Visa”. He chuckled, explaining. “As in “I came, I saw, I shopped.” He continued to chuckle at his own story placing a hand on his chest as he coughed lightly between chuckles.

CJ stared at his boss mouth open with incredulity. Had he heard right? Impossible! What an absolutely ridiculous play on the word ‘Visa’. The word wasn't even Latin for crying out loud!

“What?” Theo coughed the word, obviously still amused as he wiped his eyes and nose with his handkerchief.

“That's not even remotely correct!” CJ felt slightly offended on behalf of his favourite and most respected language. “’Veni, Vidi’ I grant you, but ‘Visa’? It's not even Latin! ‘Visa’ is the name of the company that issues this particular credit card.” CJ shook his head frowning.

“No no no, the correct verb would be ‘emere’ which is ‘to purchase’. So you'd start with the main form ‘emo’ which is ‘I buy’.” CJ's academic mind took over and his eyes became slightly unfocused, concentrating on the Latin tenses in his head instead of the pleasantly shocked curator in front of him.

“The verb is active rather than passive since a purchase involves some form of action. The mood is indicative since it's a fact that the purchase will be made, it is neither a possibility, which would be subjunctive, nor a demand in which case the mood would be imperative.” He drew a deep breath.

“To follow the tense of ‘Veni, Vidi’, ‘emo’ should be stated in perfect tense which is the Latin form of past tense. Thus he would end up with ‘emere’ in first person perfect tense making it ‘emi’, so what he meant to say was ‘Veni, Vidi, Emi’ not ‘Visa’.” CJ spat out the word in distaste.

“But he would still have it wrong.” CJ couldn't hold back a ridiculous grin at the absurdity of the wrong exclamation. He ran his fingers through his hair. Ave Caesar, how could Theodore James ever have dated one so linguistically inaccurate? Theo himself wasn't fluent in Latin like CJ, nevertheless, he ought to know enough to know that ‘Visa’ in this particular sense of the word could not be found in a Latin dictionary. But there was still more CJ's hadn't explained.

“Even ‘Veni, Vidi, Emi’ wouldn't be correct because according to your story he'd only just arrived at the mall and only just laid eyes on the items to purchase, but hadn't actually bought them yet, ergo, the correct tense to use for ‘emere’ would be future perfect, making it ‘emero’ indicating his intention to purchase. So, upon entering the mall he should have said ‘Veni, Vidi, Emero’ or if he preferred the perfect tense he should have waited until the purchase had actually been made to rightly exclaim ‘Veni, Vidi, Emi’.”

CJ dropped his arms, panting slightly after his lecture. He blinked a few times gasping as he realised he had just lectured his boss. Oh no! Not just his boss, no no! CJ Bennett had just lectured Theodore James.

Ave Imperator, morituri te salutant!

“CJ,” Blushing like a complete idiot from embarrassment, convincing himself that dying on the spot was not something that was physically possible CJ slowly met the curator's eyes. Dark green depths were sparkling with barely contained amusement.

“The statement ‘Veni, Vidi, Visa’ is a popular tourist joke, a souvenir, a play on the use of the Visa card. It's a joke most often found on postcards and fridge magnets. I'm pretty sure Emmett, my ex boyfriend was being intentionally funny.”

CJ's dropped his jaw in shock feeling stupid to the point of being a village idiot. “O-Oh…” He finally managed. “W-Well uhm…” He swallowed nervously toying with his handkerchief in his pocket trying to convince his mind that choking on his toast would offer little in terms of escape from embarrassment. He took a deep breath and raised his head, showing what little pride he had left.

“I-In tha-that case h-he should have s-said, uhm, ‘Veni Vidi Iocatus Sum’.”

“I came I saw I…?” Theo still sounded amused, but intrigued.

“I joked.” CJ had been prepared for slight amusement but not the bark of laughter that Theo broke into, bad enough that he brought a hand to his chest, pausing mid laugh to cough.

“Or technically,” CJ found himself grinning in response to Theo's amusement.

God he was gorgeous wearing that smile.

“’Iocari’ which is ‘to joke’ should be in present tense as the telling of the joke was the joke itself. So it would be ‘Veni, Vidi, Iocor”.

“Of course it would be CJ, my bright scholar, of course it would be.” Theo brought out his handkerchief, wiping his eyes before coughing into it after he'd finished laughing.

“Pray forgive me, I should have made the context clear.” Theo coughed another laugh, rubbing his nose through the handkerchief before sniffling deeply and focusing his intense gaze on CJ. “Joking in present of perfect tense aside,” Theo coughed into his wrist again, wiping the last of his tears with the cloth in his hand. “By dear Marie's 10 tier cake, what a lecture. So perfectly delivered without a single pause or even a single stutter. I shall treasure this memory for eternity.”

CJ blushed frowning, thinking. No, he hadn't stuttered, not before Theo had told him it had been a joke. If possible, CJ was even more surprised than Theo. And judging by the curators amazed expression that was saying something.

“I didn't know you spoke Latin?” Theo's eyebrows shot up as he reached for his cup of tea, head shaking in astonishment as he stared completely awestruck at him.

CJ blushed even redder, impossible as that seemed. He reached for his own cup raising his shoulders in a half shrug. “I uhm, I-I do.”

“I don't remember that being on your resume?” Theo was still smiling gorgeously at him, CJ's heart was threatening to dance out of his chest.

“Uhm, no w-well, I'm not fluent in Latin, so I'd rather n-not be in trouble for a wrong t-translation.”

“But you can read, speak and translate Latin?” Theo persisted, making the nervous assistant even more uneasy.

“Y-yes.” CJ was really beginning to wish Theo would look away. “B-but not perfectly.” He balled up his hand around the handkerchief in his pocket, thumb fidgeting with the fabric.

“So that little performance I was just treated to was you being imperfect? Picking Latin verbs our or your head changing them to fit the tense, the mood? CJ Bennett, my silent wonder, that was incredible.”

Despite the praise CJ felt his hands starting to tremble. He closed his eyes to the black spots dancing in his vision. Taking one deep breath, then another he wished Theo would change the subject. This weekend of caring for his sick boss was starting to wear CJ out. It had really been a roller coaster for his nerves. Not even Callum had known about his love of Latin other than ‘custodi spirandi’.

The curator must have noticed something was off and CJ felt the weight of a hand being placed on his shoulder. He tried to force a smile but apparently Theo was unconvinced.

“Oh dear Marie, pray forgive me CJ, I do not wish to make you uncomfortable.” Theo sounded genuinely upset. “By Versailles, I really must learn to tread more carefully with you.”

CJ pulled his handkerchief from his pocket when he was sure the curator wasn't looking and kept it tightly balled between his hands.

“It's fine Theo.” He said after a long minute. “I-I just get a-a-a bit uhm…” The hand on his shoulder gave a light squeeze of comfort, its thumb running circles on his shirt. CJ looked up to see the soft, deep gaze of the curator looking at him in adoration.

“You don't have to explain, CJ. But know that I have the utmost admiration for you. I've seen you struggle through some of your tasks but somehow,” he paused, shaking his head in equal parts disbelief and admiration. “You always manage to get through it.”

CJ looked down, feeling the warm spread of a deep flush in his cheeks as he squeezed the balled up handkerchief in his hands. He couldn't possibly be worthy of such praise. The shy, held back, stammering boy that he was couldn't possibly have earned such a compliment.

“Thank you.” He raised his eyes to Theo’s and found nothing but the warmest of gazes meeting his. Theo managed a small smile before his lungs acted up again. He turned away from CJ to cough harshly into his hand. CJ hand stroked Theo’s back through the fit as the other reached for the mug of tea on the table, holding it ready.

“Mmm thank you.” Theo croaked, accepting the mug from CJ, holding it in both hands as he held it to his mouth. The curator only managed a half sip before his nose started twitching. Theo’s eyes turned towards the ceiling as his breath started coming in shorter gasps.

Thinking 2 steps ahead, CJ threw his handkerchief in the table and with both hands pried the mug from Theo’s hands before the hot tea spilled everywhere. The wobbly exchange made the tea flow over the edge and onto the floor but it was tucked securely in CJ’s hands before the curator was overcome.

“Hhh… Eh’kesschoo!” Theo sneezed into his hands, keeping them cupped to his face as his eyes turned unfocused and he screw a sharp breath. “O-oh.. Hhh… Ehk’tschoo! K’itschoo! Hheh… Eh’eschoo! Oh Marie be praised.”

CJ mumbled a blessing handing Theo the nearest handkerchief and got up with the now half-empty mug of tea to get some paper towels and boil the water for a refill. Out the corner of his eyes he saw Theo hold his hands up, catching the light on something. He didn't get to the kitchen before the softly inquiring voice of the curator stopped him dead in his tracks.

“Copernicus?”

NO!

CJ spun around and froze, nearly screaming out loud at what he saw. The curator was running his fingers smoothly over the embroidered name in the handkerchief CJ must have handed him by mistake, his own hand-made, name embroidered handkerchief. His breath suddenly got stuck in his throat, his vision turning blurry. He was only vaguely aware that his entire body was trembling. Fear? Shock? Regret? CJ wasn't quite sure.

“Copernicus Jupiter Bennett? That's your name?”

The assistant didn't hear the sound of the mug hitting the floor or the splash of hot tea spilling everywhere around the broken pieces of clay. All he heard was the roar of every singly childhood bully dead set on making his time in school a living hell, every single argument that had carried his name angrily between rooms in his parents house and every single mock from Callum the one person he had trusted with his childhood and young adult trauma.

And now Theodore James, of all people, knew too! CJ panicked fearing the many ways his “spectacular” name could be used flamboyantly by his boss.

CJ prepared himself for Brutus’s knife… Again!

Et tu, Brute?

TBC…..

FIRST OF ALL....wow this was excellent. :woot0: The Latin lesson was great, CJ going all Magister on Theo without even realizing it and w/o stuttering, so adorable!! :blushsmiley:

“By Marie, CJ my befuddled morning star, are you alright?”

“Thanks to you, my dear.”

“Thank you darling.”

Seems Theodore is making a come back but man I love how he's referring to CJ here, so cute.

“Ladies and G-Gentlemen t-thank you very much for joining us on this grand t-tour of my assistant’s delightful apartment, p-please remain seated for the remainder of the day and d-don't forget to pop by our gift shop on your way out.” He practically dumped Theo onto the couch with a shy smile going back to fetch the tray.

I think this is an excellent way to see CJ is really starting to get comfortable around Theo. He's being funny with only a trace amount of stuttering. I really loved this scene. Staying with the feeling comfortable scene, the fact that even after he got out of fessor mode he was able to joke with Theo about the "Visa" thing and even joking give the "correct" version. They are beyond cute. :wubsmiley:

Then....

The assistant didn't hear the sound of the mug hitting the floor or the splash of hot tea spilling everywhere around the broken pieces of clay. All he heard was the roar of every singly childhood bully dead set on making his time in school a living hell, every single argument that had carried his name angrily between rooms in his parents house and every single mock from Callum the one person he had trusted with his childhood and young adult trauma.

And now Theodore James, of all people, knew too! CJ panicked fearing the many ways his “spectacular” name could be used flamboyantly by his boss.

HOW DARE YOU!! (ok have we said it on all fronts now)

MY POOR SHY INSECURE CJ!!! No no dont you worry, Teddy will understand...he wont go all Theodore James on you, I promise...right Juto... RIGHT JUTO??? :cry:

Ahhhhh Juto you never cease to amaze! Poor CJ, everything was going so well! He's got to realize by now that Theo won't mind his name, right? Everything will be fine... Right?

Oh and though Kaze has already said it...

How dare you?

Fantabuloso! Those cherubs [or is it Cherubim?] are just amazing. Of course, if a diva went to the mall, or indeed the Mall to see and be seen, she could legitimately [lols at own joke in advance] say "Veni, vidi, visa" to mean, I came, I saw, I was seen......

I suppose "emero" must be right though it looks all wrong. I long for "emerim", though it would just mean "let me have bought" or more wonderfully "though I have bought".

Keep up the good work!

Okay, wow. First I love

Second datum that name is cool

Third I can't wait to see what happens next

And finally, I can't wait to see the sequal

Silently cries zombie tears.

I love it! Poor CJ. Everything going so well, and then.... I love the name!

“Behold CJ, my nursing benefactor.” CJ's heart quickly jumped into its dancing shoes and set off at the sight of Theo's gleaming smile. “I am vertical.”

LOL! Love it!

• 2 weeks later...

HOW DARE YOU!!

Whoops :P:blush::whistle:

How dare you?

Hehe please see above reply :P

Keep up the good work!

Selective Quote

MultiQuote

Aww thanks. I will. More to come shortly.

Okay, wow. First I love

Second datum that name is cool

Third I can't wait to see what happens next

And finally, I can't wait to see the sequal

Silently cries zombie tears.

:lol: haha thanks.

Sequal? Mm... We'll see ;)

LOL! Love it!

Hehe I found it extremely amusing too...

Oh No!!! POOR CJ!!!! Please!!! Please write more!! I absolutely adore this!!!!

Have done and will do... Update shortly :)

And I know you believe in happy endings, so... Bring on the happy ending!!!

Well on its way, my dear, just a tiny bit more angst to come first ;)

New chapter up shortly... Sorry it's been so long... RL and stuff....

sorry for the wait :D hopefully chapter 11, 12 and the epilogue will come easier than this chapter did... nearing the end and the inevitable fluff... stay tuned.

As always, thank you readers and commenters. And Thank you Kaze, SCW and SpamKey for moral support when I've come whining (or will very soon ;) )

Chapter 10 - Veritas vos liberabit

There was no hint of amusement, no trace of mock and yet CJ found himself drain of all facial colour. His body started to tremble involuntarily as the echo of every school bully he had ever faced sang through his inner ear. He took a step back, loosing his balance as he stepped in the slippery wet puddle of tea on the floor. He tried to right himself but his legs refused to cooperate and turned to jelly underneath him.

His vision compromised by dancing black spots and his shallow breathing making him disorientated, he was only vaguely aware that Theo had risen from the couch to wrap his arms around him and gently lower him onto the floor.

The curator sat down behind him, pulling CJ's shaking body against his own between his legs.

The slow and steady rhythm of a strong heart beat against his back, the soothing running of warm soft hands up and down his shivering arms and the low hoarse murmur of comfort is his ears should have made the panicked assistant relax but Copernicus Jupiter Bennett had had more than he could possibly take.

Not even when Theo released his hold around him, giving a breathy apology followed by a few semi-stifled sneezes and a “pray forgive” in hushed tones did the shocked assistant’s mind return to the now. After a light cough and a wet sniffle both hands returned to warm and soothe CJ's shoulders and upper arms as the assistant shivered his way through childhood trauma.

He buried his head in his hands mentally forcing his lungs not to choke him, nor his sight to leave him. His mind was torn between running away screaming from the scene that would most likely haunt his sleep for years to come and letting himself relax into the soothing comfort as the gestures from his boss were so clearly meant to be perceived.

Discarding his glasses on the floor he dug the heels of his hands painfully deep into his eye sockets in a pitiful attempt to use pain to divert his attention from the tremors that continued to shake his frame. Theo’s hands continued their rubbing of his shoulders and running up and down his arms but not even that could shake the icy chill that had consumed him.

Theodore James knew.

Of its own accord CJ's mind added Theo's voice to the roar of mocking bullies. He let out an involuntary whimper at the horrific scenario his mind was constructing behind his eyes.

Not you!

He felt Theo's arms wrap more firmly around him, felt his hot breath exhale against his neck.

Not Theo!

CJ squeezed his eyes shut forcing warm liquid to trickle down his cheeks. His despair was met with a equally distressed “ Oh no no no, hush my Copernicus” little louder than a breath right next to his ear. CJ’s heart felt ready to explode.

Not my Teddy!

That down to earth, lesser version of the flamboyant curator that CJ had caught a mere glimpse of yesterday, his Teddy, would now surely be lost to creative Theodorian exclamations, proclamations and declarations, all bearing his ridiculous name. Trust his historian mother and astronomer father to come up with something this creative and horrendous.

“I-I-I-I-it’s j-j-ju-just C-C-C-C-CJ.” He managed, his trembling limbs worsening his stutter. Despite the chill in his body he knew his cheeks were burning fiery hot. “C-C-CJ… J-ju-just CJ!”

Any amends made by Theo were drowned out by the mocking laughter in CJ's head.

No matter how hard he tried to shake it, the echoes wouldn't stop. That, combined with the gentle caresses of his boss still holding him tight on the floor, was more than CJ could handle. He fisted his hands in his hair, pulling at it. His mind was going everywhere at once.

The bullies cornering him in the schoolyard, shouting, pointing, laughing. He recoiled, curling in on himself.

A warm hand trailed his shoulder blades and ran the length of his arm.

His parents yelling his name blaming everything but themselves for their state of unhappiness. He shielded himself, letting out a tiny sob.

His shoulders were squeezed lightly through his T shirt. Soft murmurs reached his ear.

Callum mockingly calling out his name in orgasmic frenzy ending it in a high pitch laughter. He cringed.

Something warm and wet brushed against his neck. A strong heartbeat picked up its pace against his back.

With a mighty jerk CJ was on his feet, eyes wide and fleeting, body pacing, stomping, pulling his hair, not focusing on anything in the material world. He shook his head finally silencing the echoes.

How could he have let this happen? How had it come to this? Easy! CJ couldn't bear the image of his boss, his Theo, sick and alone in his post-break-up state of misery.

“Not you.”

Not his Theo, the man who had endless amounts of patience when CJ's nerves were acting up, the man who never failed to make CJ's heart dance the quick step. How had he gotten from taking care of his boss during his awful cold to this?

“T-This –s-sh-shou-should n-never… I s-should h-h-ha-have n-n-never…”

He should have been more careful, he should have checked and double checked for post-it's, he should never have pulled his handkerchief in the bathroom. What had he been thinking? Nothing! He had allowed his heart to pull Theo home with him not giving a second thought to possible consequences. CJ you massive idiot!

“H-Ho-How could you p-po-pos-possibly believe this would e-end well?”

Never in his life would CJ regret caring for his sick boss but it had cost him everything, all his secrets. Theodore James knew; His Latin, Custodi Spirandi and now his name. Theodore Antonius James, his Theo, his Teddy… How could he possibly respect CJ after this? How could CJ possibly face him at work after this?

“Not you!” His Teddy was lost to him. He could never face those eyes again, that smile. “Never you.”

CJ was only partly aware that some of his inner monologue was spilling out over his lips. He stopped his pacing to look at the curator still sitting on the floor where CJ had left him. The look on Theo's face was a mixture of regret, grief and such deep anguish that CJ was sure his own heart would break. He panicked. What exactly had he said out loud?

“Pray forgive me, CJ.” The assistant felt his mind detach itself from all emotion, going numb from over stimuli as a few tears slowly trickled down Theo’s cheeks. “I should let you go.”

This time CJ had no energy left to pull himself together, no leftover pride to fight his case. Nothing! This time he took the escape and gladly. He thought he heard a choked apology followed by harsh coughs and something more as he bolted for the door only just remembering to pocket his keys, wallet and phone before he slammed the door hard behind him.

~ ~ ~

CJ had no idea how long he had sat in the hall with his back to his own front door. Having always preferred cosy indoors to the wild outdoors he hadn't made it further than a few steps out into his hall. For several long minutes all he could focus on was his breathing.

Inhale.

Veritas vos liberabit.

The truth shall set you free.

Exhale.

Experientia Docet.

Experience teaches.

He had heard a bustle of movement coming from his apartment followed by a sigh heavy enough to part waters and what had unmistakably sounded like a bad case of the hiccoughs. CJ didn't care. Theo could wreck his apartment nothing in there held any value to him, except his grandmother’s hand made handkerchiefs bearing his name. They were tucked away safely in the back of his closet except the one Theo now had in his possession. The one he had read his name aloud from. The handkerchief that had wrecked any chance of him ever meeting Theo's eyes again.

Ave, Imperator, morituri te salutant.

Leaning his heavy head against his door he heard the distinct ring of Theo's cell. His boss let out a wet cough muffled by fabric before picking up the phone.

“Alice my beacon of hope, please tell me you have good news.”

So Alice was calling him? Of course. CJ closed his eyes. There was still the opening of the exhibition tomorrow. He couldn't escape Theo even if he wanted to. He listened to a few muffled, encouraging “a-ha”’s from Theo mixed with a sudden sharp intake of breath, audible even through the door.

“Ehh… Eh’ketsschoo! Hh… Ehk’tisch!-uhh! Pray forgive me Alice, I'm still a touch under the weather.”

Oh so Alice knew he was sick? CJ would never have guessed.

“Alice my dear, you wouldn't believe what I have had to endure these past few days, it's a wonder I've been able to keep a straight face.”

Wait! What?

CJ froze not really believing what he was hearing.

“This continuous attention even after I tried to repudiate his offer. Oh Alice my bird, you should have heard him. ‘Come home with me Theo I won't take “no” for an answer’.” He added a touch of mock to his words.

CJ couldn't believe it. All this time, his boss had secretly hated his caregiving? And now he was complaining to the museum staff about him? How had CJ missed the signs?

“What? He sent you an email? What did it say?”

CJ tried to hold back his tears and concentrate on this new turn in the conversation. Was Alice referring to the email he had sent her this morning? Had he not been as polite as he normally was?”

“Dear Marie, how disgraceful. And the attachments?”

CJ shook his head trying to remember everything he had written to Alice, the attachments, the instructions. Where had he gone wrong?

“Ugh delightful.” Theo's tone dripped with irony. “Dear Marie, and all this after practically sabotaging me on Friday? Attempting to ruin the exhibition?”

CJ was close to physically dying on the spot. Had he done nothing right? Nothing at all? Theo had hated everything he had done with the exhibition on Friday and everything he had done to help him, easing his discomfort during the weekend.

“I know, dear.” Theo's tone sounded softer now. “No I haven't told him, goodness knows I've been trying to the entire weekend. But this subject cannot be eased into conversation. And to be quite frank I'm not entirely sure how to tell him.”

The was a brief silence as Theo listened intently to what Alice was saying. CJ's heart was firmly lodged in his throat. What was it that Theo had been trying to tell him the entire weekend?

“You're right dear. I have to tell him.” CJ noticed a thick layer of congestion entering Theo's voice. “I can’t protect him forever even if it means he’ll…” He trailed off and CJ was surprised to hear sobs coming from behind the door.

“Pray for-hhh-forgive me… h’ekxhtschuh! Hh… Ehk’tschoo! Thank you, my dear.” Theo sounded even more congested than before.

What had he meant “protect him”? What was Theo protecting him from? Was he covering for him to the patrons? Was CJ really that bad that the curator had to protect his position?

“You're right, dear.” Theo's voice was muffled now as if coming from behind a handkerchief. He heard the curator let a heavy sigh. “If that's the case then I'll have no choice but to let him go.”

Let him go? I should let you go. Theo was letting him go!

CJ squeezed his eyes shut forcing out the gathering of excess water in his eyes.

He had fucked up… Somehow.

Theo hated him… Apparently.

And now he was letting him go.

I came, I saw, I ruined!

Veni Vidi Everterim!

CJ hung his head as he listened to the curator and Alice move on to more last minute lighting and music decisions. He'd never understood why he'd been offered the job as assistant to the curator himself, but he had dealt with everything Theo had thrown his way for the past two years and apart from a few beginner’s mistakes Theo had never uttered any sounds of displeasure to CJ's work. But CJ himself had always held doubt, and now he knew Theo's true opinion.

CJ shrugged to himself wiping his eyes with the back of his hand.

Now what? He thought for a minute.

Since he had already ruined everything wouldn't it be better if he'd simply cleared his desk before tomorrow's grand opening? Tears welled up in his eyes again.

This weekend has already cost him everything and now he was jobless too. His lungs clenched uncomfortably. He palmed his chest.

CUSTODI. SPIRANDI.!

In anger CJ banged the back of his head against his door with each word feeling the dull pain spread in his skull.

“Pray a moment, Alice. CJ?” The inquiry was spoken louder than the rest.

Shit! Theo had heard him. CJ scrambled to his feet hurrying down the stairs. He hoped the tail of his coat had vanished after him as he rounded the corner just as he heard his front door open and the hoarse voice of the curator call down the stairs.

“CJ? CJ is that you?”

Running, stumbling almost falling down the stairs CJ reached the entrance to his apartment building. He braced himself against the cool stone wall, panting, head spinning from shock and anxiety.

Now what? He couldn't possibly go back up to his apartment, not after what he'd just heard. It ached painfully in his chest, knowing that Theo had secretly despised the weekend spent on CJ’s couch, granted, it hadn't been the best weekend in CJ’s life, but everything that’d happened, everything they'd talked about.

His Teddy.

The version of Theo that seemed to genuinely care for his wellbeing, that seemed to have welcomed his gestures, his caregiving, had all been a lie.

Tears started to rain from his eyes. He'd been right all along. He'd never deserved that job, he'd never deserved Theo's praise, Theo had been protecting him and now he was letting him go.

That realisation seemed to tap into some unknown reserves of energy. He righted himself, lifting his head slowly. There was really only one place he could go and it would probably be the last time he'd ever go there again. As a last act of kindness for having given him a chance to prove his worth, CJ would spare Theo the awkwardness of the upcoming conversation. When Theo came into work tomorrow, CJ would have cleared his office and left his note of resignation on the curator’s desk.

TBC…

No no no CJ!!! Pray forgive it's not what you think!! Not your Teddy!!

JUTO YOURE KILLING ME!!!

and I love every moment of it... :heart:

Oh my good flying gorillas. Why did you do this to me? . Huh huh??? I hope you have a very good reason for pulling me away from my cookies to kill me like that. Glares, hugs. It was beautiful as always.

Noooooooo!!!!!!!! How could you?!?!?!?! This is heartbreaking! (But I want it, and love it, and need more!)

StaraiRoalanstjay

Oh dear God... Please tell me that this is all one massive mistake???

Also, I just have to ask: Did you get that phrase 'He palmed his chest' from me? Because I've never heard it anywhere else, I literally made it up to describe someone putting their hand over their heart.

*gross crying* HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE DAMMIT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE!!!

CJ your name is beautiful and Teddy loves it and he loves you and wahhhhh *more gross crying*

No!! Not my CJ!!! Surely he wasn't talking about my CJ!!!

What emotion!!!! Oh, my heart....

You crossed a line there. I can't believe it. How are you ever going to repair all the damage you just did to your readers?! Never mind all the damage you did to CJ!

I'm verklempt.

• 4 weeks later...
On 31. jan. 2016 at 11:09 PM, kaze wo hiku said:

No no no CJ!!! Pray forgive it's not what you think!! Not your Teddy!!

JUTO YOURE KILLING ME!!!

and I love every moment of it... :heart:

Meh... I just see it as payback for all the all the MC-feel mass killings you've committed :P Pray forgive me, empress ;) 

On 31. jan. 2016 at 11:31 PM, Artemis said:

Oh my good flying gorillas. Why did you do this to me? . Huh huh??? I hope you have a very good reason for pulling me away from my cookies to kill me like that. Glares, hugs. It was beautiful as always.

*pokes you and points to flying gorillas. Uses moment of distraction to snatch cookies and runs away throwing a "you make more, I write more" over her shoulder* :P

On 1. feb. 2016 at 1:38 AM, AngelEyes said:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!! How could you?!?!?!?! This is heartbreaking! (But I want it, and love it, and need more!)

Hehe sorry :blush: more you shall have...

On 1. feb. 2016 at 2:44 AM, StaraiRoalanstjay said:

Oh dear God... Please tell me that this is all one massive mistake???

Also, I just have to ask: Did you get that phrase 'He palmed his chest' from me? Because I've never heard it anywhere else, I literally made it up to describe someone putting their hand over their heart.

:whistles:

On 1. feb. 2016 at 4:19 AM, SpamKey said:

*gross crying* HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE DAMMIT HE WAS TALKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE!!!

CJ your name is beautiful and Teddy loves it and he loves you and wahhhhh *more gross crying*

Hahaha yeah.... Maybe he was and maybe he does? :P we'll see... 

On 1. feb. 2016 at 6:12 AM, Mysterion0325 said:

No!! Not my CJ!!! Surely he wasn't talking about my CJ!!!

What emotion!!!! Oh, my heart....

:whistle:

On 1. feb. 2016 at 9:11 PM, Kittykittymeow said:

You have to continue I'll die if you don't

Oh dear, Mystrade has already buried one kitty this week, and even though I'm not a cat person I don't want them dead. 

On 2. feb. 2016 at 1:52 AM, Seeking Clarity + Wisdom said:

You crossed a line there. I can't believe it. How are you ever going to repair all the damage you just did to your readers?! Never mind all the damage you did to CJ!

I'm verklempt.

Hahaha aww.... Well, to quote the Empress of Angst herself. "All will be resolved.", but you know, being the Duchess of fluff I really need my own mantra for this. Mmm, I think I'm gonna quote Sonny from "Best exotic Marigold Hotel" and say...

Everything will be alright in the end. If it is not alright, it is not yet the end. 

Yeah, I'm sticking with that :P next chapter in next post. 

Okay... Sorry for the wait, this chapter gave me a lot of trouble. And huge thank you to SpamKey and Seeking Clarity+Wisdom for their encouraging words and guidance when I needed it. Thank you :hug: also thank you Kaze for supporting this pre-upload. :heart: but this is still your Christmas present so please act surprised when you "unwrap" it :P 

Fans of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen may recognise a few quotes from the the famous confrontation between Elizabeth Bennet and Lady Catherine de Bourgh. The ending to that book was a huge inspiration for this entire fic and the reason CJ's last name is Bennett (although I gave him an extra "t" :P

I apologise for the lack of sneezing in this chapter, this is purely for the story. I hope you like it anyway :) 

Chapter 11 – Calamus Gladio Foritor

CJ's finger itched to pick up the call as Theo’s number shone bright on his phone as he neared the museum. He kept staring at Theo’s flashing name even as the screen froze and sent the call to his answering machine. He couldn't talk to Theo right now. He wouldn't. 

With a heavy heart CJ punched open the big swing door to the museum after scanning his employee card in the slot. Head down, he walked through the entrance hall hoping that Alice wasn't at her desk. One brief peek declared it empty.

“CJ!” 

Ugh! Today was not his lucky day. 

Alice caught up to him just as he was rounding the corner towards his and Theo’s offices. “No no no! You can not be here right now.” CJ was surprised to hear her speaking in hushed tones as she glanced around the empty entrance hall towards his and Theo's office. “Is Theo with you?”

“No!” CJ realised he had said it a little to defiantly. “I-I, uh, I d-don't know where he is.” Alice crossed her arms over her chest pursed her lips..

“You sure ‘bout that?” She raised a single eyebrow at him.

CJ froze. So Alice knew exactly where Theo had been since Friday? Perfect! 

“So what are you doing here?” She demanded.

CJ closed his eyes as he tried to keep himself together. He and no ready answer for Alice. 

“A-Alice, I…”

“Hold that thought.” She held up a finger as she pulled her vibrating phone out of her pocket. “Alice…. What do you mean the light is blue?” CJ already started towards the exhibition wondering what light was blue and why but Alice caught his shoulder as she turned her phone into her own shoulder, muting the sound. “No, I'll deal with it. Do what you came to do and go home. Please. Theo doesn't want you here.” Her expression was soft, almost caring yet her words stung.

Another confirmation. Theo didn't want him here.

Depressed beyond words CJ stared at Alice’s retreating form heading for the exhibition room. He bit his lip and blinked away tears. Slowly turning he made his way to his office. 

Once there, he realised he hadn't really thought this plan through. Looking at the bulging bookshelves, his change of clothes, and the few personal trinkets he had placed in his office he realised he had nowhere to stuff them. 

“Nice plan, CJ, you massive idiot!” He huffed a pathetic laugh. “And now you're talking to yourself, wonderful!”

“CJ?” CJ spun around, cheeks instantly flaring red at the realisation that someone must have heard him. In the doorway to his office was a man, somewhere in his mid-thirties, possibly yearly forties, CJ couldn't quite determine. His short sandy hair was perfectly styled, not a hair out of place. The length of his sideburns long enough to join a perfectly trimmed beard on his chin and upper lip. There was a confused and disbelieving look in the man's dark grey eyes.

“Y-yes?” CJ looked the man over. Could he be an investor? In his figure tailored blue velvet suit with delicate and patterned green stitching and big pink buttons with an oversized green silk scarf draped fashionably from shoulder to shoulder across his chest the man certainly oozed wealth and style. Something about him seemed familiar though, the way his voice sneered his name, CJ knew he had heard it before. 

“You're CJ?” The man raised an eyebrow as his look turned suspicious. 

“I, uhm, y-yes.” CJ swallowed nervously. 

“You are CJ?” The man didn't look unintelligent, quite the opposite in fact. CJ wondered how hard it could possibly be for him to put two letters to a face. 

“Yeeees.” 

“YOU! Are CJ?” Suddenly, CJ wasn't so sure he wanted to be anymore. His insecurity worsened as the man leaned back releasing a roar of laughter. CJ recoiled as he felt his cheeks warm again. Where has he seen this man before?

Think, CJ, think!

“Oh honey.” The man fanned away a few escaped tears of laughter as he laid a hand on his chest. “I'm afraid there must be some sort of misunderstanding or poor Theodore Antonius James has surely lost his mind.” He studied CJ, running his eyes up and down his black Jeans, black shirt and open plain, black coat. “Why, you're so…” He fiddled his fingers in the air, seeming to search for a proper word to describe CJ. “… Inadequate.” He smirked. “Yes, quite quotidian.”

CJ frowned at the man in front of him, heavily focused on keeping his lungs taking in air. The surprised conversation had taken a strange turn and CJ’s nerves weren't too happy with the lack of preparation… Nor the personal insults, but he was too focused on breathing and trying to get his mind back into coherent order to form a response.

“And now that I've seen you, boy!, when Theodore comes crawling back eventually I shall simply write off this little… situation... as a fluke, a temporary and most unfortunate incident of bad taste.” The man’s grin had turned to a sneer directed at CJ, once again looking over his apparently inadequate attire.

CJ's eyes widened in understanding. Theodore coming crawling back. The designer suit. The fashionista. He had seen him before, though never in person. “Y-yo-You're Nathaniel Marc.” CJ swallowed nervously as an evil grin curled across the designers lips. “You're Theo’s…”

“Partner!” The older designer butted in before CJ could finish. 

Ave Caesar. CJ had only ever spoken to Nathaniel Marc on the phone a few times when the impatient fashionista hadn't been able to reach Theo and CJ was sent running to find the curator.
Wait! Partner? CJ had been under the impression that…

“O-oh!” The look on his face must have been spectacularly humorous to the designer who once again threw his head back barking a laughter. 

“Oh buttercup.” Nathaniel gave CJ a pitiful look, hand on his cheek as he shook his head. “In what world did you believe some ghastly piece of black polyester such as yourself could possibly stand a chance? When have you ever known Theodore to wear anything but the brightest, the most glamorous and most ostentatious?”

Confused, CJ merely stared at the designer. Whatever train of thought Nathaniel Marc was following was completely lost to the assistant.

“When have you ever known him to wear something so drab as you for more than a passing moment, as the merest accessory to his greater ensemble?”

“I-I-I’m s-sorry, I, uh, I-I don't…” CJ's mind had a hard time understanding the designer. It almost felt as if he was missing an obvious point. 

Nathaniel tutted at him, shaking his head. “Aww, and a stutter too? Poor boy. Trust Theodore to be a benefactor.” Nathaniel glanced through the open door out into the entrance hall. His expression became suddenly hard. “Where is he?”

I don't know.
I don't know
I don't know
Breathe CJ! 
Custodi Spirandi

“I d-don't-“ CJ stooped abruptly as a loud buzzing sounded from his coat. He pulled out his phone but before he could see the caller ID, Nathaniel had snatched it from his grasp, a vicious sneer curling his upper lip back over his teeth. 

“Guess we'll know in a second, won't we?” He put a finger to his lips, demanding silence from CJ as he answered the call and pressed the speaker. 

“CJ? CJ?” Theo’s worried voice sounded from the tiny speakers. Even if CJ wanted to talk to him, to tell him that he was at the museum with Nathaniel Marc he knew no sound would pass his lips even if he tried. “Ahh, praise the Queen, you picked up. CJ I'm terribly sorry about what happened, pray forgive me. There are circumstances that need clarification, but not over the phone. Could you come home, please?”

CJ noticed how Nathaniel’s expression changed at Theo's words and he turned to glare at the assistant. CJ felt his pulse quicken and cold sweat broke out on his face and on his back. 

“Alice called to tell me you'd gone to the museum, I'm on my way there now.” Theo’s voice had turned anxious. “CJ my dear, please don't go to the office and stay out of sight, Nathaniel is-“

“Hello Theodore.” Nathaniel had cut him off, his voice sugary sweet. “Dear CJ and I are anxiously awaiting your arrival.” He pressed “end call” before Theo could say anything more, carelessly thrusting the phone back into CJ's motionless hands. 

“So now we know where poor Theodore has been licking his wounds.” He continued to glare at CJ. “Move any furniture did you?” CJ drew his eyebrows together, confused. Judging by Nathaniel's expression, the designer clearly wasn't talking about moving a chair from one place to another. 

“I-I, Uhm…”

“Oh come now, don't be shy, you must have at least been curious to unravel all that splendour, something so utterly dissimilar to your own simple appearance.”
Nathaniel cocked his head to the side, his stare growing intense and a little impatient. “So tell me, did you search each other for pocket change?”

CJ was if possible even more confused now. Surely a man like Theodore didn't need to search him for pocket change…? His quizzical expression must have alerted Nathaniel to his ignorance. 

“Oh, for heaven's sake, boy, have you dressed the curtain rod yet?”

CJ was at a loss! Whatever Nathaniel was asking him, the assistant couldn't possibly answer. 

“Oh buttercup.” Nathaniel didn't even try to conceal his amusement. “You're as clueless as they come, aren't you?” The designer smirked at the confused expression on CJ's face. “I'll take that as a ‘no’. Perfect! That will make it so much easier for me to accept Theodore’s grovelling and insistent begging to take him back.” He sent CJ a knowing smile. “You and I both know that poor Theodore wouldn't last a day on his own without his adoring audience and loyal worshippers. In deed.” He smirked to himself. “Who is Theodore James if not the very product of extravagance and sophistication combined? A king amongst peasants. The perfect spokesman and co-creator for the future line of “Marc&James – fashions extraordinaire”. 

CJ quietly beheld the designer who was currently lost in his own daydream. Was any of this true? Was Theo leaving the museum to join “Marc fashions”? CJ felt his hands ball into fists. Why was he even upset over this? Theo had lied to him the entire weekend, he was letting him go, why should CJ care for any of it anymore?!

And yet, despite having his heart ripped from his chest as he overheard the phone call between Alice and Theo, CJ couldn't make himself think ill of his curator. His Teddy. In the two years CJ had spent as his assistant, Theo had guided him, trusted him, shown endless patience and even compliments had not been scarce. Could… Could he have misinterpreted the call? Maybe Theo had been talking about someone else, someone who had maybe given him a bit more attention that he'd cared for? CJ discreetly eyed the designer in front of him. What the hell had happened between Nathaniel and Theo? 

The Theodore James Nathaniel Marc knew was not the Theodore James that had practically begged CJ to wear glasses and not contacts, nor the Theodore James who had welcomes CJ’s petting of his hair and certainly not the Theodore James who had held CJ tight on the floor as he shivered through his childhood trauma. 

The kiss to his neck. 

CJ's heart fluttered at the sheer memory. Could there be some crazy explanation to all this? Something he was missing? He caught sight of Elizabeth I on the wall, a poster proclaiming the upcoming exhibition. She shone with such regal authority, such power that CJ's own mind for a second believed he too could conquer something. 

Fear not, we are the nature of the lion and cannot descend to the destruction of mice and such small beasts.

But who was CJ to say anything against Nathaniel Marc, Theo's (apparently) partner in both life and now business? He shrugged to himself. Well, seeing he was already resigning his post, after having spent a weekend with his crush of a curator who had apparently already decided to let him go, did he really have anything to loose?

Veni, Vidi, Visa. 

Resolved, CJ straightened himself, giving Nathaniel the most confident look he could possibly assemble with his nerves stirring in his mind. “No!” CJ really wasn't sure what he was saying “no” to. What did one say when one was about to conquer oneself? 

“No?” Nathaniel was coming back to reality… And fast. His grey eyes shooting lightenings at CJ.

“No!” CJ held his ground. “Theodore James is not who you think he is!”

“Oh trust me buttercup. I know Theodore James like I know my own designs. He's like a string of yarn, helpless on his own, but once threaded by a greater mind, he can be persuaded to stitch together a much more elaborate design.” He looked around him, grimacing. “Much more fascinating than a dreary, dusty museum.”

“THEODORE JAMES IS THE BEST THING THAT’S EVER HAPPENED TO THIS MUSEUM.” CJ didn't realise he was shouting until the words were out of his mouth. He kept his eyes locked on the designer’s as he lowered his voice to a barely audible whisper. “Theodore James is the best thing that's ever happened to me!” CJ could scarcely believe he had gotten all of that out without a single stutter.

So the two of you ARE arranged?” Nathaniel gave a humourless laugh. “Is the proud line of ‘James’ to be thus polluted? Associated with a mere Bennett? Unfathomable!”

“A-arranged? I-I…?”

“Don't play coy with me, buttercup.” Nathaniel was loosing his patience now, his voice quivering with barely contained anger. “Tell me once and for all, are you involved with him?”

Finally CJ understood. His hand flew out, steadying himself against the wall. How could Nathaniel possibly think…?

“N-no.” He shook his head, more in a daze than an active part of his answer. 

A satisfied smirk painted the designer’s features. “Good, you will resign your position as his assistant, effective immediately, and you will promise me,” Nathaniel was so close now, CJ could feel his breath in his face. “Never to enter into any sort of arrangement with him, do I make myself clear?”

Fear not, we are the nature of the lion and cannot descend to the destruction of mice and such small beasts.

It was true, CJ had come to clear his office and remove himself from the James’s museum, from Theo, and if it was Theo’s decision to leave the museum for fashion then so be it, but CJ would rather fight a gladiator than have Nathaniel Marc believe that was per his orders that CJ was leaving. 

In attempt to re-establish a distance between himself and Nathaniel CJ took a step and stumbled towards the desk. His hands flew out on front of him to brace him against the desk and one of his hands accidentally knocked over “Apology” by Socrates.

“He is a man of courage who does not run away, but remains at his post and fights against the enemy.”

“What?”

CJ hadn't been aware that he had mumbled Socrates’s words out loud. Blushing, he straightened himself and turned towards Nathaniel whose facial colour gave away his rising temper. 

“What did you say?” Oddly enough, the violet-coloured designer who was more than 10 years his senior and certainly taller than him, not to mention a great deal more threatening didn't frighten him. CJ was able to remain calm as he kept reminding himself that he would not grant Nathaniel the satisfaction of seeing him leaving. He took a step towards Nathaniel, straightening himself as far as he could go. 

“I will make no promises to you of any kind.” CJ's voice had adopted a undertone of control and authority that CJ had no idea he even possessed. “I will continue to work alongside Theo until the day he chooses to let me go.” CJ's heart clenched uncomfortable, and he fought to keep his expression calm. “I will answer to Theo and only Theo.” He stepped closer to the door, opening it to reveal a very stunned-looking Alice and a few other colleagues who were certainly very busy looking anywhere but at the door to CJ's office. CJ panicked but fisted his hands to keep them from shivering. This was his museum, his turf. He realised that nothing but direct orders from Theodore James himself could ever make him leave. 

Doing his best to ignore his audience CJ turned back towards Nathaniel and gestured to the door. 

“You have insulted me in every possible way and I must ask you to leave. You can't possibly have anything more to say to me and beyond what I've already stated I have nothing more to inform you. Good day Mr. Marc.” Without fear, he placed a hand on the designer’s shoulder, politely but insistently pushing him out the door. 

CJ had always believed that the pen was mightier than the sword. Even though his pen was a nervously twitching, stuttering one of its kind, his sword was blunter still. His body therefore had no reflex reaction when Nathaniel's fist came slamming into the right side of his face hitting the tender area between his eye and his temple. 

“Fucking, miserable little home wrecker.” The words sang through CJ's ears as he slammed into the wall and his legs gave out under him. 

“CJ!” Theodore's warm and calming voice, even distressed and panicky as it sounded gave CJ a brief moment of joy before his back and neck hit the floor hard and his eyes fell closed. 

I conquered. 

TBC…

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

GOD I LOVE HOW DELICIOUSLY EVIL NATHANIEL IS!!!!

“Oh, for heaven's sake, boy, have you dressed the curtain rod yet?”

Hahahahahaha!!!!!   Love this line!!!

God poor CJ having to deal with that pompous ass but the end...THE END....THAT SPEECH!!  

CJ had always believed that the pen was mightier than the sword. Even though his pen was a nervously twitching, stuttering one of its kind, his sword was blunter still. His body therefore had no reflex reaction when Nathaniel's fist came slamming into the right side of his face hitting the tender area between his eye and his temple. 

“Fucking, miserable little home wrecker.” The words sang through CJ's ears as he slammed into the wall and his legs gave out under him. 

CJ your Teddy will save you!! :heart:

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!

AAAH JUTO THIS PART TURNED OUT SO AMAZINGLY!!!!

So proud of CJ for standing up to that glamorous asshat! I also agree with Juto; Nathaniel is deliciously evil! :twisted1: Now SAVE HIM TEDDY!!!

StaraiRoalanstjay

Fucking Jesus... What IS it with anxious main characters and evil partners in these stories?

1 minute ago, StaraiRoalanstjay said:

Fucking Jesus... What IS it with anxious main characters and evil partners in these stories?

Pffft Nathaniel has NOTHING on Evtree XD He's just psycho.

Archived