• kiku

• AngelRain

• AntheaHolmes

• sneezefan222

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"My imagination functions much better when I don't have to speak to people."

Patricia Highsmith

She's one of my favourite authors and I really resonate with this quote some days.Β 

Carol by her is my favourite book of all time. The movie was good as well even though I don't like Rooney Mara in it. Just my honest personal opinion.Β 

On 9/30/2023 at 5:04 AM, kiku said:

Today's quote:

"We must believe that we are gifted for something, and that this thing, at whatever cost, must be attained."
- by Marie Curie

πŸŒŠπŸŒŠπŸŒŠπŸŒŠπŸ—»πŸŒŠπŸŒŠπŸŒŠπŸŒŠ

I just saw this, and I absolutely love this quote. We have to attain what we are gifted for, and achieve our purpose. Without achieving what our gifts were meant for, how are we going to contribute to a better world for all?

@AntheaHolmes Ah, thanks for sharing the quote by Patricia Highsmith - I totally can relate to that, LOL! Although I do enjoy a good conversation with people sometimes. Β πŸ˜†

I haven't read anything by her yet, and I haven't seen the movie "Carol" because I'm afraid it will make me too sad. 😭

@MrMrMrManManMan Thanks for your response! Let's never give up trying. πŸ‘

Β 

Edited by kiku

My quote for today:

"Even Socrates, who lived a very frugal and simple life, loved to go to the market. When his students asked about this, he replied, 'I love to go and see all the things I am happy without.' "
- by Jack Kornfield

🌿🌿🌿🌿🌼🌿🌿🌿🌿

Hello again everyone. Here are my quotes for the day.

"If you have only two pennies left in the world with the first, you should buy rice to feed your family/ With the second, say the wise Japanese, you should buy a lily. The Japanese understand the importance of dreaming." - Japanese proverbΒ 

Β 

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats in infinitely superior." – Hippolyte Taine

Β 

"The person that had took a bull by the tail had learnt sixty or seventy times as much as a person that hadn’t and said a person that started to carry a cat home by the tail was getting knowledge that was always going to be useful to him and wasn’t ever going to grow dim or doubtful. Chances are, he isn’t likely to carry the cat that way again. But if he wants to, I say let him." - Mark Twain

Β 

"Fairy tales don't tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children that dragons can be killed." - G.K. Chesterton

Β 

@AngelRain Thanks for sharing those thoughtful quotes! I think especially the first one - the Japanese proverb - is interesting. I didn't know that at all! 🌼

It's not a "real" quote but I really love Shakespeare. This is from the role of Brutus:

"Romans, countrymen, and lovers,Β hear me for my
cause, and be silent, that you may hear. Believe me
for mine honor, and have respect to mine honor
that you may believe. Censure me in your wisdom,
and awake your senses, that you may the betterΒ judge."

@AngelRain Ah, Shakespeare... I love the beautiful classic language too. And your quote above awakens memories of my English lessons in high school in Germany, where we had to read "Julius Caesar". :book:

Here are my quotes for the day. :) Most of them are love quotes since Valentine's Day in this Wednesday. Hope everyone enjoys.Β 

"See! the mountains kiss high heaven, And the waves clasp one another; No sister flower would be forgiven if it disdained its brother; And the sunlight clasps the earth, and the moonbeams kiss the sea; - What are all these kissings worth if thou kiss not me?" Percy Shelley

"Kisses kept are wasted; Love is to be tasted. There are some you love, I know; Be not loathe to tell them so. Lips go dry and eyes grow wet waiting to be warmly met. Keep them not in waiting yet; Kisses kept are wasted." - Edmund Vance Cooke

Β 

"Go, little book, and wish to all flowers in the garden, meat in the hall, a bin of win, a spice of wit, a house with lawns enclosing it, a living river by the door, a nightingale in the sycamore." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Β 

"I put down my book, The Meaning of Zen, and see the cat smiling into her fur as she combs it with her rough pink tongue. Cat, I would lend you this book to study but it appears you have already read it. She looks up at me and gives me her full gaze. 'Don't be ridiculous,' she purrs, 'I wrote it.'" - Dilys Laing

Another favourite of mine by the amazing witty Oscar Wilde!Β 

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." - Oscar WildeΒ 

Β 

I have another one, it's from the NBC Series "Hannibal" which is amazing, yet very dark but so so good! Mads Mikkelsen is playing the very famous cannibal.Β 

"You cannot control with respect to whom you fall in love." - Dr. Hannibal LecterΒ 

Edited by AntheaHolmes
On 2/10/2024 at 5:20 PM, AngelRain said:

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats in infinitely superior." – Hippolyte Taine

I don't know why, but I absolutely love this quote. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for cats, but I love the idea of a cat having more wisdom than a philosopher. I guess humans still have a lot to learn.

More quotes from my personal collection. Hope you like!

Β 

"They dined on mince, and slices of quince, which they are with a runcible spoon; and hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon." - Edward Lear

Β 

"They don't know how the world is shaped, and so they give it a shape, and try to make everything fit it. They separate the right from the left, the man from the woman, the plant from the animal, the sun from the moon. They only want to count to two." - Emma Bull

Β 

"For the good are always the merry, save by an evil chance, and the merry love the fiddle and the merry love to dance." - William Butler Yeats

Β 

"We dance for laughter, we dance for tears, we dance for madness, we dance for fears. We dance for hopes, we dance for screams, we are the dancers, we create the dreams." - Unknown

Β 

@MrMrMrManManMan

I'm glad you loved the cat quote! I am also a lover of cats and have been around them pretty much my whole life. I currently share my with four of them. Two of them are me and my partners' and the other two belong to our roommate. But they're all good boys and we love all of them so much. And yes I do believe that cats (and animals in general) are smarter than humans. At least animals don't try and kill each other over what color another's fur is or who they love. They may fight over territory and a mate, but humans do that too. And we're infinity worse about it. At least in my opinion.

Edited by AngelRain
5 hours ago, AngelRain said:

I am also a lover of cats and have been around them pretty much my whole life. I currently share my with four of them. Two of them are me and my partners' and the other two belong to our roommate. But they're all good boys and we love all of them so much. And yes I do believe that cats (and animals in general) are smarter than humans. At least animals don't try and kill each other over what color another's fur is or who they love. They may fight over territory and a mate, but humans do that too. And we're infinity worse about it. At least in my opinion.

Wow, that's awesome! I don't have a cat yet, but I do plan to get one a few years down the line. Since I don't plan on having any children, so that cat will help fill that void. And I can definitely see what you mean with cats not killing each other over fur color or who they love. Humans tend to be a lot more judgement than animals. I think maybe we should learn a thing or two from them about caring for others.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! Here are my quotes for the day.

Β 

"Mysterious love, uncertain treasure, Hast thou more of pain or pleasure! Endless torments dwell about thee! Yet who would live, and live without thee!" - Joseph Addison

Β 

"Love, as told by the seers of old, comes as a butterfly tipped with gold, flutters and flies in sunlit skies, weaving rou d hearts that were one time cold." - Algernon Charles Swinburne

Β 

"Now what is Love, pray thee, tell? It is that fountain and that well where pleasure and repentance dwell; it is perhaps the sauncing bell that tolls all into heaven or hell; and this is Love, as I hear tell." - Sir Walter Raleigh

Β 

"Ah, how skillful grows the hand that obeyeth Love's command! It is the heart and not the brain that to the highest doth attain, and he who follows Love's behest far excelleth all the rest." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Β 

"What if someone tells you this: I don't believe in courtship. It's just a waste of time. If I love someone, I'll tell her right away. But for you. I will make an exception... just love me now and I will court you forever." - Unknown

• 2 weeks later...

@AngelRain Thanks for sharing so many wonderful quotes! 🌻 I especially like the one about the cat having written a book about Zen. 😊 And I definitely agree to what you and @MrMrMrManManMan said about humans having to learn a lot from animals...

@AntheaHolmes Thank you too! 🧑

My quote for today is:

"It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else."
- by Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher)

1 hour ago, kiku said:

@AngelRain Thanks for sharing so many wonderful quotes! 🌻 I especially like the one about the cat having written a book about Zen. 😊 And I definitely agree to what you and @MrMrMrManManMan said about humans having to learn a lot from animals...

@AntheaHolmes Thank you too! 🧑

My quote for today is:

"It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else."
- by Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher)

Oh my, Schopenhauer is amazing in a weird way. I remember I once read a book about the love life of his sister with another woman, she was also friends with Anette von Droste-HΓΌlshoff. Another amazing German writer.Β 

Thanks dear @kiku for this amazing thread.Β 

"Heghlu'meH QaQ jaj!"Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  (Today is a good day to die!)

"the problem is not the problem, your attitude about the problem is the problem!" -captain Jack Sparrow.

"the only rules that apply are these what a man can do, what a man can't do!" -also Captain Jack Sparrow.

lo there do I see my father, lo there do I see my mother and my brothers and my sisters, lo there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning , lo they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them in the halls of Val Halla where the brave may live forever." -13th warrior

"no prisoners!, no survivors!, scorched earth!" - (can't remember who said this exactly)

Β  Ita, mita, uta!Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β (I came, I saw, I fired!) - Girls und Panzer character "Erwin"

Hello again everyone. Here are my quotes for the day.

"I grow old...I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach? I shall wear white flannel trousers and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing each to each. I do bot think they will sing to me. I have seen them riding seaward on the waves, combing the white hair of the waves blown back, when the wind blows the water white and black. We have lingered in the chambers of the sea, by sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown, till human voiced wake us, and we drown." - T.S. Eliot

Β 

"All my dreams are trances and all my nightly dreams are where thy dark eye glances and thy footstep gleams - In what ethereal dances by what eternal streams." - Edgar Allen Poe

Β 

"I am the star that rises from the sea, the twilight sea. I bring men dreams that rule their destiny. I bring the dream tides to the souls of men; the tides that ebb and flow and ebb again - These are my secrets, these belong to me." - Dion Fortune

Β 

"Who would be a mermaid fair, sitting alone, combing her hair, under the sea, in a golden curl, with a comb of pearl, on a throne? I would be a mermaid fair; I would sing to myself the whole of the day; with a comb of pearl I would comb my hair; And still as I comb I would sing and say, 'who is it who loves me? Who loves me not?'". - Alfred Lord Tennyson

@AntheaHolmes You're welcome! ❀️ And thanks for reminding me of Annette von Droste-Hülshoff - she wrote so many beautiful poems!...

@Klingon I like the one by Jack Sparrow about the attitude being the problem, not the problem itself - there is so much truth in it!

@AngelRain Ooohh, mermaids... That's such a lovely, romantic image suggested by Alfred Lord Tennyson. πŸ§œβ€β™€οΈ