Sneeze Fetish Forum

Kaze Wo Hiku

Ah, man, I love it when Liam is sick. I’m a little surprised it doesn’t stress him out to be around Gabriel in that state— I’d half expect him to try to stay away to try to preserve Gabriel’s fragile health, which we obviously cannot allow him to do because it is very sad if no one calls him dearest and strokes his fevered face. 

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@AngelEyes Aren't they :heart:

@Colds-and-Cuddles I'm glad you like their interactions, they're always fun to write.

@helyzelle He tried...but failed :lol:

@Alabaster :heart:

@queenie Between you and me, Liam probably would.  I made an exception since it was a request and honestly even under his best intentions, after a while Liam would physically need Gabriel, because like you said, someone needs to stroke his face and call him dearest. :heart:

Well here's a blast from the past, Vin and Em.  This had been in my head for over a month and I finally got it down.  Enjoy.

~~~~

Honey Lavender

Snow had been falling for nearly an hour. Emmett watched the white fluffy flakes slowly cover the bench which sat across from Cafe Arcobaleno. Letting out a sigh, he continued wiping down the empty tables. The weather hadn’t brought in many customers, Emmett didn’t figure he’d get many more before closing.

The barista took the time to wipe, rinse and restock most of the round tables, swept the floor and took out the trash. Shivering as he walked in through the back door, he hoped the snow would stop by the time he left. Stopping in the stock room, Emmett grabbed a few boxes of their premium coffee. With the holidays coming up, the cafe sold out of many of their blends.

Returning to the front room, Emmett’s green eyes did a quick sweep of the room; no customers still. He turned and began unloading his box. As he set the third blend onto the shelve behind the counter, the familiar ding of the door bell sounded. A customer!

Rising, Emmett spun around to greet whomever was brave enough to set foot out in this weather for coffee.

“Welcome what can I…” The barista froze shocked seeing Vincent standing less than an arms distance away. The musician wore a dark grey scarf which only partially hid his wind slapped red cheeks. His normally spiky black hair was hidden by a black skullcap dusted with melting snow.

“Hi Emmett.” Vincent rasped as he smiled.

“Vin?” Emmett was still trying to recover from the shock. “I…I didn’t know you were back in town.” He felt heat rise off the back of his neck when Vincent smiled.

The musician shrugged in his black trench coat then cleared his throat. “Had to…cancel some shows…” He coughed into his fist before motioning to his neck area. It wasn’t hard for the barista to put everything together.

“Oh Vin, I’m sorry.” Emmett said quickly grabbing mug. “What can I get you?”

“Not your…fault…” Vincent rasped as he coughed again. “Any tea…is fine…” The discomfort his ex felt from talking wasn’t lost on Emmett.

A few minutes later, Emmett presented Vincent with a steaming cup of Honey Lavender tea.

The relieved sigh Vincent gave after the first sip brought a smile to Emmett’s face. “I remember this…” Vincent’s voice sounded a touch better. “You’ve made this before.” He looked up at Emmett who couldn’t hide the blush on his pale face.

“I…well…” Emmett ran his hand through his hair. “You’ve made it before….for me…” He looked away. “When I was sick.”

Vincent’s mouth parted into a smile as he took another heavenly sip. “You brew it better.” He rasped quietly. Emmett’s face turned deep red.

• 1 month later...

@AngelEyes ^^

Ok couple of holiday themed drabbles. First is Libriel, anon prompt from tumblr wanted Liam greeting a sick Gabriel with a fireplace and tea. Second is Diva and Lawyer, new years eve prompt. Enjoy!

~~~~

Liam was beyond relieved the little inn down from Davenport had a fireplace in the room. From the outside, the writer hadn’t even been sure the old stone building would have indoor plumbing. It had been a spur of the moment decision after the flats heat had gone out. Gabriel, sick with a terrible head cold, managed his only class while Liam had been tasked with finding a warm place to stay until the heat returned.

The tiny room with a full bed, table and chair felt cozy at least. Liam anxiously kept checking his phone waiting for the his poor love to return. About half past 3, heavy steps sounded up the stairs then a pause. Confused, Liam figured maybe it wasn’t Gabriel until he heard a harsh congested sneeze sounding from the hall. Leaping up he ran to the door just as Gabriel’s shaking hand reached for the knob.

“Oh love…” Liam breathed as he threw his arm around his boyfriend ushering him to the chair which he’d placed near the crackling fire. The cold ridden professor’s face was pale except his cherry red raw nose. Gabriel still shivered as Liam removed his overcoat and quickly wrapped a blanket around his frame. “There.” The writer ran his own hands repeatedly over Gabriel’s arms hoping to generate more heat.

“Th–hhank y-you…d-d-dear.” Gabriel chattered through teeth as one hand escaped the blanket to rub his poor nose. Sniffling, his breath hitched hard, eyes fluttered as face slacked.

Heh'tsschhjuhew!

Sneezing hard into the thick wool blanket, Gabriel let out a low moan. Liam delicately ran his fingers along his boyfriend’s hairline, sweeping that gorgeous grey hair out of Gabriel’s face. “Not the best way to start your holiday break is it. I’ll make tea, might not be the best.”

The professor’s glazed blue eyes focused on his satellite. “You are here. That is all I require.” He rasped leaning into Liam’s warm embrace.

End

~~~~

Title: Auld Lang Syne 

"Retty…are you positive you’ll make it to midnight?” Aiden stood near his partner in their kitchen. Barrett sighed rubbing his aching head. The couple had planned a small party to welcome in the new year; Cordelia and her date, none other than the youngest Wainwright, Benjamin. Star and Megumi, and a few of Barrett’s coworkers.

However, a day ago, Barrett had woke up with a nasty sore throat and mild fever. After a quick trip to the clinic and a full day in bed the lawyer, not wanting to disappoint his fiancé, put on his best face and tried to be as social as possible. Sadly at barely 11pm, Barrett was feeling the effects of his illness.

“Yes darling.” He rasped sipping some wine hoping it would douse some of the fire he felt in his throat. Aiden approached looking up with concern as he adjusted Barrett’s tie. “You look ghastly dear.” He said running his hand along his fiancé’s forehead. “Fever might be up, I’ll get some painkillers.”

“No, no.” Barrett started after Aiden. “I will, you keep the guests happy.” He whispered as Cordelia’s laugh sounded from the sitting area.

“Hmmm big sister appears to be more than interested in Ben.” Aiden raised an eyebrow while folding his arms. “Fine, but lay down in you need too.” A quick kiss to Barrett’s warm cheek, grabbed his champaign flute and went back to the party.

Barrett combed back his hair hoping to hide some of the sweat that had glistened along his forehead. After swallowing some medicine, wincing as they slid down his aching throat, Barrett’s glazed eyes fell onto the bed. It looked inviting, soft and he could almost feel it calling to his tired body. Perhaps he should just call it a night. Aiden probably wouldn’t kiss him at midnight for fear of catching his illness. The party appeared to be thriving without him as another round of laughter echoed down the hall.

The clock flashed 11:21. Clearing his throat, Barrett rubbed his head, he could make it. He would for Aiden.

The apartment had a fabulous view of the water where fireworks would ring in the new year. Everyone had gathered near the window. Star with her arm around Megumi’s waist. Ben and Cordelia raising their glasses to clink. Barrett sat on the sofa away from the crowd, his own drink barely touched.

Right near the 30 second mark, Aiden sat down next to him, a smile on his face. “To us.” He said handing the lawyer his glass.

Exhausted but happy, Barrett took it, clinking it against Aiden’s. “Happy New Year, darling.”

Everyone chanted down as the last seconds of the year ticked away. Barrett wasn’t too pleased to be starting a new year feeling awful. Then as the clock struck midnight and the fireworks lit up the sky, Aiden leaned over resting his hand behind Barrett’s head pulling him into a kiss.

Surprised Barrett almost thought he was dreaming but Aiden’s cool skin against his face couldn’t be ignored.

“I…wasn’t sure you’d kiss me.” Barrett tried in vain to hide his blush.

Aiden chuckled, “Barrett Sterling, I’d never turn down an opportunity to kiss you.”

The next morning Aiden’s voice was hoarse. After taking Barrett’s temperature he took hos own. Letting out a disgusted sigh, Aiden crawled back under the covers.

“Sorry darling.” The lawyer rasped sadly. Aiden waved him off.

“I had nothing planned, Mr. Chase.” He replied with a cough.

Barrett smiled as he pulled his fiancé next to him. “Neither did I.”

End

Two very sweet drabbles. I especially liked the second one with poor Barrett struggling through New Year's Eve with a fever. :heart: But your dear professor Gabe with such a bad cold gave me heartaches. Good he has Liam to care for him.

Gabe needs a new apartment, with reliable utilities. Then again, it gives us (and Liam) the chance to love and fuss on him! 

Poor Barrett. I love that he didn't think Aiden would kiss him, but Aiden stepped up and did anyway! Good boy!

It's wintertime and I'm sitting here in the room with the Christmas tree. Its lights are turned on and various candles are lit around me. And then I read these holiday season themed drabbles and my internal fluff-o-meter goes through the roof because these drabbles were so damn cute! 😍 :inlove:

The prompt for the first one was adorable and Liam did a great job finding a nice, cosy room for the two of them. I felt so sorry for poor Gabriel, but Liam was so perfect in taking care of him and making sure he was ok. And I'm sure Gabriel will enjoy the warm, comfortable heat from the fireplace very much. It's a lot nicer to warm up near a fire than with the heat coming from regular heating.

On 1/1/2019 at 5:40 PM, Kaze wo Hiku said:

Sneezing hard into the thick wool blanket, Gabriel let out a low moan. Liam delicately ran his fingers along his boyfriend’s hairline, sweeping that gorgeous grey hair out of Gabriel’s face.

This part was just SO sweet :heart:  I love this gesture of slightly brushing away strands of hair from a person's forehead. So I miiiiiight have melted a bit right then and there (especially in combination with Gabriel's grey hair :wub: )... Ok, who are we kidding, I DID melt :lol: No regrets, though :inlove:

When I read that you had also written a New Year's Eve drabble, I got super excited because I love the trope of someone falling ill on that date and I had previously written New Year's Eve sickfics myself, so I was really looking forward to see how Aiden and Barrett would fare in that kind of scenario.

The opening was great. Somehow kitchens are always the place where the drama silently unfolds while the party is roaring outside :D And it was nice to see some of your other characters as party guests. You have such a gerat, vivid universe surrounding and connecting your characters and it's always great when their storylines are explored a little more or when they have a cameo appearance here and there.

It looked inviting, soft and he could almost feel it calling to his tired body. Perhaps he should just call it a night. Aiden probably wouldn’t kiss him at midnight for fear of catching his illness.

At that point even I could hear the bed calling for him and feel his body yearning for a rest. I thought that the sentence would continue with something along the lines of "He had to admit that he was too ill to make it through" but then you wrote that Barrett is almost giving up, not because he's feeling too sick, but because the thought of not getting a kiss on New Year's Eve was so disappointing to him that it took away all of his determination to make it through til midnight. That was so sweet... :wub: So... lo and behold! Selene the puddle, Act 2! :lol:

Surprised Barrett almost thought he was dreaming but Aiden’s cool skin against his face couldn’t be ignored.

I also really loved this bit, although I can't really put the feeling into words, but it was a very sweet and intimate scene and the combination of these different sensations - surprise, touch, coolness of skin against feverish skin - was just the perfect thing to happen in that moment of the story. I almost thought that the drabble would end there, but then you've also added this super cute "the morning after" scene, which was even more enjoyable because I hadn't expected any contagion aspect in the drabble, so by the time the text was over, my mind was already wandering off into imagining how the two of them would spent the first week or so of the new year in bed together and taking care of each other :heart:

• 2 months later...

@Hedgehog Fessor gives me heartaches as well :heart:

@AngelEyes I do wish G had a better flat but then again we'd miss all his issues with it :rofl:

@Selene seleeeeeeeeeene!! I've missed your comments :heart:

On 1/4/2019 at 7:08 PM, Selene said:

The opening was great. Somehow kitchens are always the place where the drama silently unfolds while the party is roaring outside :D And it was nice to see some of your other characters as party guests. You have such a gerat, vivid universe surrounding and connecting your characters and it's always great when their storylines are explored a little more or when they have a cameo appearance here and there. 

I've always loved throwing in characters to stories even if at the time they don't have their own yet.  Star is one of the characters I love writing and she seems to fit in well with everything.  Hoping one day to write her more.

Ok so here's a short (very short) drabble about Fessor being miserable.

~~~~

The tapping of the rain against the window did not rouse Gabriel from his slumber. It wasn’t until the train whistle bellowed that he jerked awake from his impromptu nap. The professor’s weary eyes opened as he took a moment to remember where he was. The shuffling of passengers off the train car jogged his muddled memory.

Running a hand through his hair, Gabriel barely had stood before his congested breath hitched.

Heh'tsschhjuhew!

A ferocious sneeze rocked him as he steadied himself against the seat. “Merciful heavens.” He rasped feeling his pockets for a handkerchief. Just as his fingers graced the edges of one he felt another tickle growing in his sensitive sinus cavity.

Ahk'ktshjew!

Burying his red nose in his cloth another hard sneeze ripped through him. Groaning, Gabriel looked out the window as he lumbered down the aisle. Rain collected in puddles along the sidewalk.

“Oh no.” He moaned only having a moment to hike up his collar. He stood shivering while drops covered his hair and ran down the back of his collar. Finally he got his luggage but not before the rain was soaking through his coat. The cold rain agitated his nose it is trickled down, Gabriel tried his best keeping his handkerchief on it but soon it was soaked. The freezing fabric offered no help when another deep inhale stopped Gabriel in his tracks.

Heh…hii…

Arm up Gabriel masked this one into his wet sleeve but sadly another followed.

Hheh’xxshjuh! Ts’schujuh!

He sniffled trying his best to keep his nose from running but when Davenports buildings came into view he gave up. At this point all the drenched professor wanted was a hot cup of tea and his warm bed.

Poor Gabe. Love this piece. It was very tactile.

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, Kaze wo Hiku said:

I've missed your comments :heart:

I've missed commenting :hug:if there's a writer's block for comments, then this is what was going on :lol:

Star is one of the characters I love writing and she seems to fit in well with everything. 

I love how Star pops up in these different settings. Sometimes she reads like this super cool, distanced, out-of-reach character, and then another time she reads like the creative, smart and caring best friend everybody would love to have. It's impressive that there are so many layers to her already, although she mainly featured in small scenes :heart:

But now: Gabriel-time! *rubs hands*

The professor’s weary eyes opened

At first, I was too excited and read "the fessor's weary eyes" - your terms oof endearment for him seep into my Gabriel-fangirl-brain :laugh:

“Merciful heavens.”

So this is an expression I can't see a lot of people using for a character and not sound over the top, but it's SO Gabriel! Reading this set all my Gabriel senses buzzing because this expression sounded so exhausted, unwell, and helpless all at once. You know your characters so well and they all have their own diction, which fits them perfectly (I still remember this one perfect moment where Aiden was using the phrase "Sweet Marie, I forgot" in one of these dabbles here, and it fills me with great joy whenever my brain decides to remind me of that scene ^^) 

“Oh no.” He moaned only having a moment to hike up his collar. He stood shivering while drops covered his hair and ran down the back of his collar. Finally he got his luggage but not before the rain was soaking through his coat. The cold rain agitated his nose it is trickled down, Gabriel tried his best keeping his handkerchief on it but soon it was soaked. The freezing fabric offered no help when another deep inhale stopped Gabriel in his tracks.

Heh…hii…

Arm up Gabriel masked this one into his wet sleeve but sadly another followed.

You owe me a pair of pants for this scene up there, because mine were ON FIRE reading this 🔥🔥🔥

Step 1: hiked up collar of elegant coat. This equals a drooling Selene like the ring of the bell equals the drooling of Pavlov's dogs. Guy in elegant clothes feeling under the weather and having to brave the rain despite of it with nothing but a collar to keep the rain out? So much Yes to all of this. Heightened fetish senses activated and tingling with anticipation. 

Step 2: poor guy, who is feeling under the weather is exposed to the cold and rain, possibly making his cold so much worse...? YES! I'm here for this!

I don't care about science telling me you can't catch a cold from being cold and getting caught in the rain. That's still one of my favourite tropes of all times, and if I was ever willing to bring a decent Mount Everest-sized amount of suspension of disbelief to a piece of writing then it's for the "I caught a cold/my cold got worse from being outside in the rain" trope! 

So at this point, I was more than on board! I had booked the tour, plus all the extra trips, and was ready for the ride! 

Step 3: sick character utterly, soaking wet? - - > 😍 :inlove:. Trying to pull through a heavy task, while sneezes are reducing him to such a desperate and helpless state that he can't even get the handkerchief out and therefore HAS to sneeze into sleeve, although he usually pays so much attention on hygiene and using handkerchiefs?! 

:omg: :dribble: :dribble: :dribble: :cryhappy: :boom:

:stretcher:

Also: I loved Gabriel before when you didn't use sneeze spellings, but these "tschhuh" s and "juh" s you've picked for him are adorable :wub: :heart:

• 1 month later...

Ok forum is acting weird on me. Let's try this again.

@Alabaster @AngelEyes @Selene thank you for the comments :hug:

This next drabble was a belated bday gift for @Dusty15

~~~~

Title: No Rest for the Weary
Characters: Gabriel

If Gabriel detested any season more than winter, it most certainly was spring.  Davenport was littered in blooming trees blowing in the sweet warm breeze.  Flowers lined the paths students walked on to their classes.  Everyone was happy winter’s chill was finally over.

Everyone except Gabriel Herondale.

The reflection staring back at him in dimly lit bathroom mirror frowned.  Gabriel’s red puffy eyes, no more than droopy slits, barely could physically see the frown, but he felt it.  Sniffling, for probably the millionth time since waking, Gabriel felt as if his sinuses had been replaced with faulty pipes cracked pipes from an old Victorian.  No amount of sniffling, blowing or rubbing had quelled the tingling itch firmly lodged in his poor nose. 

His handkerchief, already soiled from use, stuck messily out of his top jack pocket.  Grey hair matted from his tumultuous night, Gabriel’s disheveled appearance had surprised even his most seasoned students.  One of them had pointed out he even wore mismatch shoes.  How embarrassing, but his burning itchy eyes had barely been able to discern anything this morning.  He’d spilled his coffee after sneezing harshly leaving Grace’s.  Sadly, since he’d already been running late, he did not have time to return for another.

Feeling another tickle building, he fiercely rubbed his knuckle against this poor irritated nose, the raw edges burned causing tears to cloud his vision.  Another deep sniff, Gabriel braced one hand against the counter as the other quickly pulled out his sodden handkerchief.

Hhh…hh..HEH’tshch…hh’nxdt…N’dxt…K’dnxt…EH’tsshhjuh!

Failing at stifling the last due to the increase pressure building, Gabriel’s runny nose buried deep within the folds of his cloth expelled the troubling spring pollen which gave him fits. Blinking repeatedly, hoping to clear some of his vision, Gabriel felt the next round forming.  A sharp inhale scratched along the back of his throat, he could taste the vile dander coating his sinus cavity. 

Pinching his nose, Gabriel stifled two more intense sneezes.

Hp’TSCH! N’kndt!

A deep congested blow did little to help, only causing more tickly vibrations to form.  Gabriel’s breath hitched again.

Hhh….HEH…

Squeezing his puffy eyes shut, Gabriel clasped his hand tightly around his nose, pressing against the sides until the sensation finally lessened.  Sniffling, he rubbed at his extremely red nose, the sides flaring against the ends of the once pristine cloth. 

Pocketing the handkerchief again, Gabriel ran a hand through his hair and made a poor attempt to straighten his bowtie.  His next class began in a few minutes. 

No rest for the weary.

Ok I dont know what happened but Idouble posted :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well, hello! What an Amazing little piece to find after a a prolonged absence. Absolutely wonderful. Poor, poor dear!

• 2 months later...

Not really been in the writing mood lately but managed this today since I've always wanted Gabriel to interact with a cat.

~~~~

What a mess.

It hadn’t started out that way. Gabriel, after his class finished, headed out to the university housing. A student in his earlier Romantic Literature class had left a text book next to her desk. Gabriel decided to return it as a favor after receiving a call to his office from the student.

Happily he walked along the cobblestone path toward the old brick buildings on the south end of the campus.

After a quick check of the names, Gabriel entered and headed up the stairs to the second floor. Arriving at 204, he rapped his knuckle on the door. A silent moment passed before he headed a muffled “coming” from behind it.

The door opened, “Professor Herondale, thank you!” The girl said with a smile as Gabriel presented her the book. “I have a test tomorrow, I thought I’d lost it.” The relieved expression on her face filled Gabriel with pleasure.

“We wouldn’t want that now. I’m sure you’ll do marvelous on the exam.” He replied smiling. The girl blushed a bit. Gabriel began to feel off. Something began making his throat scratchy. “Well then… I’ll be…” He coughed and cleared his throat. A dry sensation formed in his throat while tears welled in the corner of his eyes. Off then…“ His voice crackled slightly.

The student tilted her head then her eyes widened. "Shit!” She began looking around frantically.

Gabriel could barely see behind the tears as he pulled out his handkerchief. He then felt a rubbing sensation near his feet.

“Cheesecake!” She yelped pushing the large orange cat back into the room blocking the animal with the door.

Gabriel’s throat hurt with every swallow. His eyes dry and turning red as his breath began to hitch.

“I’m sorry Professor Herondale, I purposely put him in the bathroom when you knocked.” She apologized as Gabriel began backing away from the door.

“It’s fin-ne..fine…” Gabriel said behind his handkerchief. He blinked repeatedly trying to clear his vision as he staggered down the stairs. His nose aggravated from the cat dander tickled horribly, his breath tightened, another deep hitch escaped as Gabriel hit the ground floor.

Ek'ttschew! He..he'tschew! N'dxnt

Pushing through the outside door the fresh air did little to help his plight. His poor nose running, Gabriel masked more harsh allergy sneezes into it while wiping his red irritated eyes with his sleeve.

H'nxt! Heh'hxbdt! N'nxt! Txch! Heh….heh'tscjuh!

A failed stifle ripped from the back of his burning throat. Sniffling he blew his nose but the tickle would not quell.

Sneezing and sniffling back to his flat he felt several unwanted gazes fall on him. Eyes puffy, red and teary. His sneezes harsh and congested; Gabriel finally stumbled into his kitchen area feverishly looking for allergy medicine.

Heh'hhtssshew! EH'tshhjuh! H'dnxt!

Barely able to swallow the medicine before a rapid cluster fit overtook him. Gabriel shielded them into the crook of his arm as his handkerchief was depleted. Squeezing his eyes shut forced out warm tears streaming down his face. Finally able to draw a shakey breath, Gabriel only managed to grab another handkerchief as ticklish allergy sneezes continued to rock him.

Slumping down on the sofa, Gabriel wiped his eyes again and blew his nose. He hoped he would be over the worst before his dearest rang him later. The poor professor did not want his partner worrying over a chance run in with a feline.

“Oh, dear.” He croaked keeping the handkerchief clasped around his runny red nose. “Apologies Cheesecake, I’m sure you’re a l-l-love….ly p-p-et.”

Ekk'kschhhew! HEH'tsshjuh!

Another congested blow, Gabriel managed himself to the kitchen to splash some water on his face. Suddenly he remembered the cat had physically touched his clothes. Rushing to the bedroom, ignoring the tightness in his chest, he decided now was a perfect time to dress in his blue stripe pajamas. Whatever he had planned for tonight did not matter as his fits plagued him deep into the night.

What a mess.

Thanks @loyal-phan :D

Apparently I forgot to post this (If I did oops). On tumblr I asked about AU situations for my OCs and got some good prompts. So far this is the only one I've written. Anon requested a Frontier AU with Liam and Gabriel.

~~~~

The crow of their rooster signaling the rise of a new day woke Liam from his sleep.  The rays of sunlight shown through the bedroom curtains gently illuminating Gabriel still asleep next to him.  Liam smiled, happy his partner hadn’t been disturbed.  Sitting up, Liam stretched up reaching for the ceiling.  Another croon from the rooster, Liam nodded as if telling the animal he was coming.  

Dressing in his work clothes, Liam pulled on his boots, mud from yesterday still lining the toes. A tired sigh escaped as he arched his back hoping to stretch his tight muscles.  Right before he went to stand he turned to his partner who lay bundled up in the quilt.  Gabriel appeared to be sleeping peacefully now.  His poor love had a hard night unable to breathe well due to his cold, a price paid as the air began turning cooler.  The edges of Gabriel’s nose red and raw from constant rubbing and blowing.  

Liam wished he could stay but the chores needed to be done.  The beginning of winter was only a month away and Gabriel never fared well during it.  Liam needed to chop more firewood to last them the long cold grey days ahead and see that they had enough to last.

Stirring under the heavy quilt, Gabriel’s arm brushed his nose causing it to flair slightly.  His eyes, though still closed, squeezed harder as Gabriel sniffled hoping to subdue the tickle. His sensitive nose twitched again forcing a hard hitching breath.  

Eh… Eh'txhsshew! HEH'kschjuh!

Liam grimaced at how congested those sneezes sounded as he placed his hand on Gabriel’s forehead; still had a fever.

His partners eyes fluttered. “Liam, dear?” Gabriel’s weak voice cracked.

“I’m here. You feel warm, I’ll get a cloth.” Thankfully he’d remembered to fill the basin with water before bed. Drenching a cotton cloth in the tepid water, Liam rung it in his hands then returned to Gabriel who was trying to sit up.  

“No no love don’t sit up.” Liam winced as Gabriel coughed into a plaid handkerchief.  “After I’m done milking Bess, I’ll ride into town and see Doc Turner, get some better medicine”  He said as he wiped a few beads of sweat from around Gabriel’s face.  “Lean back.”  

The cloth felt nice. Gabriel let out a ragged sigh.  “No need to dear, I simply need…res…ss..tck’shhhew!”  He caught another sneeze into his handkerchief.  His weary eyes looked up at Liam.  “Forgive me, dear. I should be helping…” His voice broke into a cough. “Helping…you…with the garden.”  Gabriel sniffled, rubbing his poor nose against the cloth.

Liam smiled. “I can manage, you just get better.”  Leaning down he kissed Gabriel’s cheek.  “Let me get to the chores then I’ll be back to check on you.”  He stood grabbing the bucket which sat near the door. “Stay in bed.” He said with a stern look which melted into a smile.  

“Yes de…”  Gabriel’s voice hitched as he buried his nose into the handkerchief.

Eh’tssschhew! Heh’TSC’xdt!

“Ouch.” Gabriel grumbled as he pulled the quilt up over his head.

Liam walked down the dirt path pushing open the wood gate and headed to barn.  After milking Bess, he tended their garden; careful plucking the weeds from around his vegetables.  Perhaps Gabriel would appreciate some soup later on.  The cooler air definitely made for slim picking when it came to his garden.  Liam sighed, this might be the last harvest this year.  Setting down his basket, he chopped a few more logs immediately taking them into to the homestead.

Gabriel sat in the rocker near the fireplace.  His poor nose redder than before but he gave his partner a smile as Liam approached with the firewood.  “Thank you….dear…” Gabriel sniffled as he rubbed his nose.  “It was getting a bit chilly.”  

“I’ll make you some soup before I ride to town.” Liam said as he kindled the logs into a nice fire.  At least now the tiny cabin would be a little warmer.  

“I’m fine…dear…honestly…”  Gabriel’s eyes fluttered as his head bobbed forward into his handkerchief.

Eh’Tsshhew!

“Oh goodness.” He sighed tiredly leaning back in the rocker, his sky blue eyes heavy from a hard night.  

“Love, let’s get you back to bed.” Liam said putting out his arm but Gabriel shook his head.

“I much prefer…by the fire, dear.”  He said with a hard sniffle.  Liam couldn’t argue so he grabbed the quilt off the bed, gently laying it over Gabriel’s knees.  “Thank you,” Gabriel blushed though it was hard to see from his already fevered cheeks.

Kissing Gabriel’s forehead, Liam crouched down in front of the chair, “If you can wait on the soup, I’d feel much better getting you medicine from the good doctor.”  

“I can, not hungry.” Gabriel forced a weak smile, “Tired.”  His voice trailed as his eyes closed.

Shrugging on his coat, Liam headed for the door, but gave one last look to the man he loved more than life itself, before heading out to the stable.

Archived