Sneeze Fetish Forum

Kaze Wo Hiku

@ZombieArty22 Heh that he is

@hedgehog He is a singer yes

@happybunny thanks!

Ok well since @Juto didn't enter SS this year I had to write this for her ;) Merry Christmas, you've been the best friend anyone could ask for this year, stood by me through the good and bad.  Shown me what a true friend is :heart: Libriel fluff is all yours.

Title: Who Are Dear To Us

Prompt: Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Pairing: Liam/Gabriel

Snow softly fell outside the giant loft window.  Just looking at it gave the professor the chills. Gabriel sat on the bed, dressed in his brown pajamas, patiently waiting for his Liam to call him downstairs.  Rubbing his nose against the handkerchief, his annual Christmas cold in full swing, the professor barely slept last night.

Really his cold had developed into a sinus infection, his doctor calling in a prescription last minute. Thankfully Liam had been able to pick it up before the pharmacy closed for the holiday.

Sniffing hard the professor’s sinuses ached, breathing through his nose didn't come easy, congestion caked his voice enough his Liam (though wouldn't outright admit it) had trouble understanding him.

Sighing he pinched his raw nose in the handkerchief.

Hn’xdht!

Kn’xxt!

A burning sensation ignited causing tears to form, Gabriel attempted another blow but sadly it produced nothing.

“Ok love, I'm coming.” Liam said from downstairs. A moment later his dearest appeared, smiling while reaching his hand out.  “You present is ready, however you must keep your eyes closed.”

“Yes dear.” Gabriel replied stuffily. Standing he closed his weary eyes feeling Liam’s arm loop in his.

Together they proceeded carefully down the stairs but about halfway down Gabriel's breath hitched.

Heh...Hhh...

Pivoting his head away from Liam, the professor dipped forward burying his nose into his handkerchief.

Ehh’tsscheww!

Ehh’sshhkt!

Heh...Heh’tsheww!

“Oh my.” He croaked rubbing his red nose gingerly. “Apologies.” A blush covered his face as he felt Liam’s hold around his arm tighten.

“I've got you love, let me guide you.” They continued down.  Finally on the first floor Liam led him a few more steps.  “Don't open those magnificent eyes yet.”

“Yes dear.” Gabriel whispered sniffling, desperately trying to ignore his aching sinuses.  Suddenly the warmth beside him left as Liam stepped away.  Before he could respond, his cardigan was gently draped on his shoulders.

“There, don't want you chilled.” Liam's soft voice breathed in his ear.  A kiss placed on his cheek, “Merry Christmas my love, open your eyes.”

Opening his eyes it took a moment for what was in front of him to focus. A gasp escaped as Gabriel's hand covered his gaping mouth.

Liam smiled seeing the reaction. “You like it?”

Blinking rapidly tears poured from his eyes running down his cheeks.  Burying his face in his handkerchief he fought the sobbing which rocked his body.

“I'm hoping those are happy tears, love.” Liam pulled Gabriel close, the professor still hiding his face nodded fiercely.

“Dearest.” Gabriel squeaked out while wiping his eyes. “Thank you.”  He stepped forward running his hand across the white keys.  An electric keyboard sat on a stand near the window, a small bench in front.

“I know it's small, but it's a full size 61 key piano, has several modes which I'll teach you to use. Now you can play when you're home.”  Liam smiled.

Sniffling Gabriel sat on the bench, adjusting his cardigan. “M-My dear, you've gone above and beyond.  Thank you, you'v-ve no idea what this means.”  He paused drawing a slow breath. “My mother taught me, she played beautifully. She'd take me to church with her and teach me on the piano as my father wouldn't have one in the house.” He sighed, “Wasn’t masculine.”

Liam cringed slightly as Gabriel continued. “However my mother still let me play, I loved it, she taught me by ear probably why I can learn that way too.” Slowly he caressed the keys. “She could also play the organ, I never tried.” He huffed a laugh, “But I adored watching her.”  He locked eyes with Liam, “I've never had my own piano before.”

Liam smiled, “I know it's not like the ones at The Carlysle, don't have the room.” Leaning in he wrapped an arm around his boyfriend.

“This is perfect my dear, simply perfect.” Gabriel rested his head against Liam’s shoulder.  “Let me get your gift.”  He pecked his partner on the cheek then pushed up.

Making his way over to his briefcase, he paused bringing his handkerchief up.

Ehh’kctshew!

A quick head shake, he opened the case pulling out an envelope. “Apologies for the lack of wrapping.” Stepping back over to Liam he held it out.

Raising an eyebrow the writer slowly removed two pieces of paper. Now it was Liam's turn to be rendered speechless as he held tickets to see Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness.

“I do hope you'll accompany me in February to hear him play our song, my satellite.” Gabriel's eyes teared again, his voice faltered.

“Oh my sky, this is wonderful. I love you.” Wrapping his arms around his boyfriend Liam squeezed the professor tightly.  “I love you.” He repeated.

The two sat back down at the piano, Gabriel softly playing Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas while Liam sang along.

“Through the years we all will be together if the fates allow.  So hang a shining star upon the highest bough.  And have yourself a merry little Christmas now.”

“Beautiful my dear.” Gabriel said rubbing his nose adding to the redness.

Liam shook his head, “You playing made it love, I just sang.  Your mom taught you well.”

Sniffling the professor nodded, wiping his eyes, “She did.”

After brewing tea for his boyfriend and hot chocolate for himself, Liam joined Gabriel under a blanket on the couch where they watched It’s A Wonderful Life. This time Liam made it through, as expected Gabriel didn't sobbing softly into his handkerchief.

“Merry Christmas, my love.” Liam whispered pulling Gabriel close.

“H-Happy Christmas dearest.” The professor whimpered drawing his partner near.  Liam watched the snow as Gabriel fell asleep, breathing softly in his lap.  Running a hand through his loves hair the writer smiled to him.

Looking out the window Liam's brown eyes went to the heavens. “Merry Christmas dad.”

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AAAWWWWW MY GOSH MY VERY OWN CHRISTMAS FLUFF :inlove: 

aww Kaze, Thank you so much!!! 

Giving Gabriel a piano for Christmas was such a sweet and touching idea I got all fuzzy and happy reading it. :heart: 

2 hours ago, Kaze wo Hiku said:

edgehog He is a singer yes

Ah, good to know, thank you! :)

And this was a very nice Christmas drabble! :xmastree:

• 1 year later...

Yikes I haven't updated this in over a year.... but thanks to @Juto @Subtly Clashing Wishes @Hedgehog and @Arty for the comments.

Something kinda different, not my normal lyric inspired long ass stuff :lol: Four little snapshots. Apologies that Fessor's in the longest

Four Rooms 

Gabriel's Flat 

"Love, you don't have any clean handkerchiefs?" Liam asked looking through the laundry. 

A weary nod came from behind a cluster of tissues obscuring Gabriel's red chapped nose. "Yes. Apologies." The words cracked as he spoke triggering a jarring cough. 

"No worries I'll hand wash some." Liam smiled at his boyfriend who sat at the cluttered kitchen table. Gabriel pulled his bathrobe, which covered both a cardigan and thick flannel pajama top, closer around him.  The other hand clutched firmly around his tissue box.  

"Thank you, dear." His splintered voice replied. 

Liam's heart ached for his boyfriend. "Why don't you go lay down? I'll wash these quickly then join you." He said helping Gabriel up. The professor's glassy blue eyes stared unfocused for a minute. Then he finally nodded, taking a few steps forward down the hall.  His free hand running through his disheveled grey hair. 

Liam returned to the sink, rolling his sleeves up. He then heard a breathy sigh, followed by three hard hitches.  The writer could easily picture his sick love, standing still desperately trying to quell the sneeze. The wad of tissues hanging mere inches from Gabriel's delicate red nose.  Liam then heard a relaxed sigh and a hard, thick sniff.  However just as he put his hands into the water, a sharp inhale sounded.  

Hn'nk Hehh...h'dnk...hck'd...heh....ehh...HEH'Hehjsuheww! 

The muffled sound of sneezes ended with a rather forceful one followed by a feeble whimper. 

"Gabriel Lane?" Liam said turning his head. A weary cough sounded from the hallway. 

"I dropped my tissue box." Gabriel said miserably but Liam's face broke into a thin smile as he thought how adorable his love sounded. Well adorably pathetic.

~~~~ 

Liam's Loft 

"I'll tell you," said she, in the same hurried passionate whisper, "what real love it. It is blind devotion, unquestioning self-humiliation, utter submission trust and belief against yourself and against the whole world, giving up your whole heart...." 

Gabriel was interrupted by a harsh barking cough from Liam whose head lay in the professor's lap.  His partner shook beneath the blanket which Gabriel had laid over him, as he hacked into his fist.  Gabriel rested a hand gently on Liam's fevered forehead brushing away the damp strands.  Taking a clean handkerchief, the professor dabbed his dearest's brow.  "Do you require water, dear?" He asked hoping to hide the concern in his voice. 

An exhausted head shake was the only answer.   

"Shall I keep reading?"  

Only a nod followed by a low sigh. 

A small smile escaped Gabriel who adjusted his glasses and continued.              

~~~~ 

Noll's Studio          

The best remedy for a sore throat was bourbon.  Of course, that was Noll's go to medicine for just about anything. Splashing his glass with the last of his stock, the artist winced as the smooth liquor ran down his inflamed throat. 

Who needs lozenges anyways. 

~~~~ 

Vincent's Apartment 

"Vin? Vin?" 

The musician groaned, eyes fluttered as he turned toward whoever was whispering his name. 

"Vin?" A slight nudge to the shoulder followed.  Before he could move again a cold hand rested on his forehead.  Vincent couldn't hold back the sigh which escaped. 

"You're burning up! No wonder why you skipped rehearsal." 

Rehearsal? Was it Thursday?  As he finally opened his eyes, reddish brown hair and a worried pale face covered in freckles appeared.  "Emmers." He breathed happily.  

Squeeee!!!! Your boys!!! Love Love Love poor cutie!fessor. 

4 hours ago, Kaze wo Hiku said:

"I dropped my tissue box." Gabriel said miserably but Liam's face broke into a thin smile as he thought how adorable his love sounded. Well adorably pathetic.

OMG, this reminded me of the one scene in Supernatural where Sam has his luck cursed and get's attacked and when Dean finds him he's standing there looking sad and pathetic and says, "I lost my shoe." Freaking adorable!

Oh I have missed Libriel so very, very much. Even little snippets are quite welcome. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

@HedgehogI had a feeling you'd like them :lol:

@AngelEyesOMG YES! I looooooved that episode.

@helyzelleThank you!

@Subtly Clashing WishesI missed them too, theyre still my fave boys :heart:

Something else kinda short, did this for an anon request on tumblr who wanted Beckett and Mathias.  One day I'll write something longer than a few hundred words...

~~~~

“Babe, seriously, you’re sick as a dog, you can’t think about going to work?” Beckett sighed as he slide the mug of tea over to his boyfriend.

Handkerchief pressed firmly against his nose, Mathias’ eyes fluttered as the cold he’d been fighting for days did not look to be releasing its grip from him.  “Beck…er….I…I…” A desperate hitch nearly sent Beckett into the stratosphere but the Greek continued to hold off enough to talk.  “N-eed…t-t-to…ahh…” Mathias’ eyes shut hard, his frame pitched forward, the hard wet sneeze rocking him.

Hhh’HEH’tschxsjuh!

Beckett fanned himself, a loose grin spreading over his face.  Mathias let out a defeated sigh as he blew his nose sharply, the sides flaring red with a heavy rub of his cloth.

“Very well…but no shenanigans from you…” Mathias’ tired eyes did their best scold.  Beckett jumped off the stool and took his boyfriend into his arms. 

“I wouldn’t dream of it, my Greek god.” He said slowly brushing his hair against Mathias’ face.

“N-n-no….oh….EH… Ehhh'TSSCHheeww!

A few days ago, I stayed up much, much, MUCH longer than I should have done to read this thread. Like, I literally sat here, reading the entire thing in one sitting and was almost bursting because of how perfectly adorable and cute and deliciously sick and/ or sneezy all of your characters were. Each pair has such a strong chemistry and the characters are so realistic and well-written, each of them with their own unique voice, that I felt like I’ve know them for a long time. And additionally, you just have an absolutely freaking amazing writing style in general :heart::wub:

So I went on to start reading Morning Coffee, which I haven’t finished reading, yet, but let me tell you, the FEELS are strong *sob* :cryhappy::cryhappy::cryhappy: Whenever I think about the story, I feel like I've BEEN there with them, because your writing style is so vivid and your characters are so beautifully complex. :inlove:

And then I really wanted to comment on EVERYTHING I loved in each of the drabbles/ one shots and on the individual scenes of Morning Coffee and was deeply regretting the fact that I came about two years late to the party that is Liam, Gabriel and your other OCs. :wub:

So please consider this comment not only as a comment on your latest piece, but as a summary of my admiration for your entire oeuvre. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: You've gained another fangirl ^_^

I love these. I especially love Liam and his oh so wonderful Prof. Gabriel💞💞

Shenanigans!! I love shenanigans. Who wouldn’t? ;) 

• 2 weeks later...

@Selene I've already told you this but your reply made me so happy! I'm thrilled you like my boys (and I'm not that sorry you stayed up late :lol: )and their stories. Thank you for your absolutely lovely comment :hug:

@Hedgehog he's a naughy boy :P

@Arty Thank you!

@Subtly Clashing Wishes hehehe me too. (I'm still working on the 2nd part of your bday fict)

Ok this came from a prompt off tumblr. I hadn't written sick!Barrett in forever.

~~~~

Title: Wedding Bell Blues
Prompt: Weddling Bell Blues by The 5th Dimension
Characters: Aiden and Barrett

~~~~

The wedding was still 15 months away. However, looking at the sprawl of magazines littering the coffee table, the color swatches and pattern books tilting sideways off Aiden’s desk (a good wind would send them to the floor) and photos laying in every inch of the living room; one would think it was tomorrow.

Blowing a puff of air upward, Aiden’s blond bangs settled upon his hair. The designer held several blue swatches in his hand, dissecting the fine variants between the colors. Finally, a defeated sigh, he tossed the swatches over his shoulder before slumping back onto the couch.

“Something wrong darling?” Barrett appeared in the doorway leading from the bedroom hall.

“Of course, there’s something wrong!” The diva shot up off the couch, hands waving above his head. “I asked Ricardo for Tapestry Sea. None of these…” He dramatically pointed to the mess of blue on the floor. “Are even close. Too gray, too bright…” Grabbing a handful, Aiden began flipping individual colors into the air. “Too blue, too depressing and too…hideous.”

Barrett, who had joined him, reached for one, “This is nice.” He said softly, his throat had been bothering him since leaving the office.  

Aiden’s expression turned to one of utter disgust. “Retty, this is Feather Sky. You simply cannot mix a pale light blue with Kingsley Red Velvet. Why I’d be laughed out of the design community.” Aiden had already chosen a gorgeous deep red Laurent San Vee suit to wear at the reception. The suit was one of three clothing changes he planned for the special night.

“Ah, sorry…” Barrett said clearing his throat and took a seat on the only clear spot of the couch.

Aiden waved his hand, “It’s nothing, I’ll figure it out eventually. How’s your headache?” His tone switched to concern.

Barrett shrugged, “Better but still…” A cell ringing interrupted his reply.  

“Oh! It’s Star! My Friend of Honor, will definitely shed some light of this fiasco.” Aiden swiped his phone. Barrett watched his fiancé parade around the room gushing the “fiasco” to Star Jezebell. Exhaling while shaking his head, the lawyer walked into the back bathroom searching the cabinet for relief against the discomfort growing in his throat. Sadly, it didn’t appear they had any lozenges. He did find more painkillers which he popped open, swallowing a few with some water. Barrett’s reflection told a better story; his eyes had bags under them even though he’d slept a good few hours since coming home early. Did he look pale? Or was it the light? Either way, Barrett trudged back into the living room just in time to see Aiden throwing his coat on.

“Retty, darling, Star tells me she has a solution. A color far superior to Ricardo’s Tapestry Sea!” Aiden gleefully clapped his hands together. “I’m meeting her now, we’re going for dinner.” Aiden gathered up a bundle of magazines. “Don’t wait up, babe.”  

“Oh, darling could you do me a favor?” Barrett’s voice cracked slightly as he nearly chased Aiden to the door.

Turning, with one hand on the door, Aiden looked up at Barrett. “Sure.”

“Pick up some lozenges while you’re out.” Barrett asked while clearing his throat.

“Oh Retty, of course. Get some rest darling.” Aiden pecked his fiancé on the cheek then dashed out of the apartment.

Barrett stared at the closed door for almost a minute before a wave of dizziness swept over him. Cradling his head in one hand, he used the other to stabilize himself against the kitchen island. Black spots danced in his vision for several seconds before it cleared. Massaging his temples, Barrett finished off a bottle of water left in the refrigerator. The dizziness faded a bit, Barrett felt his way down the hall with his hand. A chill ran down his spine as he pulled back the comforter. Crawling under the warm covers Barrett’s head thumped again as he nestled the blanket against his chin.

A high-pitched shriek jolted Barrett’s body up from a heavy sleep. Painful stitching pricked at his throat as he swallowed. Confused from the sound, a throbbing ache pounding against his temples, his fingers searched for Aiden’s body however his fiancé’s side of the bed was still cold. Cradling his head, Barrett stumbled up reaching for his robe hoping to shake the chills. The light from the hallway hurt his sensitive eyes as he pawed the wall.

Aiden sat cross legged on the floor a slew of magazines surrounding him and his hand clutched tightly around his cell. “No no, this is not what I wanted, these…” The designer rolled his eyes hard. “Five tiers, at least.  Everything in these photos are only four, you…”  

“Aiden?” Barrett’s weak voice cracked the name.

“Hold on Retty…” Without looking at the lawyer, Aiden’s finger went up halting any further conversation.  

Exhaling a low moan, Barrett staggered to the kitchen, eyes squinting even in the soft glow of late afternoon sun. He looked around the counter for the lozenges but sadly no bags sat on it.  Maybe they were in the cabinet, his shaking hand opened the cabinet door then moved a few other remedies around. Barrett found more painkillers which he grabbed but no lozenges.  As he swallowed more pills wincing from the raw feeling in his throat, Aiden finished his phone conversation.

“If you want something done right…” The designer muttered resting his hands on his hips. His attention then turned to another binder stuffed with god only knows what.

Clutching his robe around his shivering frame, Barrett took a few slow steps forward, “Aiden.” He croaked but his fiancé didn’t reply.  Clearing his throat which sent sharp biting agony down his throat, Barret spoke as loud as he could.

“Yes Retty?” Aiden continued flipping through his book. “What do you think of this centerpiece?” Flipping the binder around, Aiden held it up while cocking his head slightly.

Barrett couldn’t even see whatever it was Aiden wanted him to critique. “Did you…” He began again.

“I don’t like it, but Star insists Rustic Chic can fit into a modern stylish reception but I don’t know…”

“Did you get…” Barrett’s voice broke into a harsh dry cough, bending him over at the waist.

“Oh darling, you sound horrible, why are you out of bed?” Aiden took Barrett’s arm and began leading him back toward their bedroom.

“Lozenges.” The sick man barely squeaked out.  The room spun as he entered, the dizziness returning coupled with the throbbing headache created more black spots. Next thing Barrett knew he was laying down.

“Lozenges?” Aiden asked, “Oh sweet Marie, I forgot. Star and I got to gabbing and you know how she can…”

Barrett didn’t hear anything else as the voice of his fiancé faded into a dull buzz muted by the blood rushing through his ears. Shivers racked his body even under the heavy blanket and sweat trickled down his face pooling delicately onto his lashes.  A faint flutter later his eyes closed.

A faint gentle wisp caressed Barrett’s forehead. Opening his weary eyes, Barrett saw the blurry outline of his blond fiancé looking over him. Aiden smiled. “How are you feeling?” He asked while still stroking Barrett’s matted hair from around his brow.

“Aw…” Barrett’s raw throat couldn’t form words. Aiden grabbed a nearby glass of water slowly tipping it to the lawyer’s dry lips. The coolness extinguished some of the fire he felt, enough for him to finish speaking, “Awful.”

“Accept my humble apologies Mr. Chase and these.” Aiden put a lozenge in Barrett’s mouth.  “Wedding planning be damned, I must care for my darling fiancé.” The sick lawyer sighed in relief, finally a bit of relief.  He used any strength remaining to cuddle close, burying his hot face into Aiden’s shirt. 

“Retty…this is silk.” Aiden said in playfully scolding tone.

“I’ll buy you a new one.” Barrett rasped as a smile flickered on his face.

Awwww... I already went over and over about this ficlet on tumblr but... Aiden is so adorable in his wedding-craziness although the event is still sooo long away *lol* And poor Barrett - what he has to endure until he finally gets some much-needed caretaking. And you know, how much I like your workaholic lawyer. Just wanted to hug him and talk some reason into his blind fiancé.

Ok, please bear with me, while I am trying to come up with a more concise and more meaningful answer other than my initial reaction, which was something like: *squeee* OMG *melt* :inlove:  (I decided to include my initial reaction anyways, just to let you know how you reduce your readers to helpless little squee-balls :lol:^_^ )

First of all, I loved the dynamics in this piece, with Aiden being so busy with the wedding preparations that he actually forgot about his Barrett in the here and now - which was something I wanted to both hug and shake him for  :laugh: I mean, it is super cute that he is so invested into making their wedding a special and absolutely perfect day, which I read as an expression not just of his perfectionist-designer-diva-showboating-mode, but also as an expression of how much Barrett and the fact that they are getting married means to him. At the same time, however, he's completely blind for Barrett and his needs. That's also why this part here killed me a little bit:

23 hours ago, Kaze wo Hiku said:

“Aiden?” Barrett’s weak voice cracked the name.

“Hold on Retty…” Without looking at the lawyer, Aiden’s finger went up halting any further conversation.  

Exhaling a low moan, Barrett staggered to the kitchen, eyes squinting even in the soft glow of late afternoon sun. He looked around the counter for the lozenges but sadly no bags sat on it.  Maybe they were in the cabinet, his shaking hand opened the cabinet door then moved a few other remedies around. Barrett found more painkillers which he grabbed but no lozenges.

How poor Barrett was still so hopeful and trusting in Aiden's promise to bring lozenges, even after he'd been cut off by him, that he kept optimistic and more or less combed through the entire cabinet, because he just didn't want to believe that Aiden forgot about them.... :cry::heart:

Which reminds me of this part:

“Lozenges?” Aiden asked, “Oh sweet Marie, I forgot.

I can't really put my finger on what it was exactly, or why this line made such a strong impression on me, but I just LOVED Aiden's reaction there. "Oh sweet Marie" sounded like such a spot on, perfect thing for him to say, I loved it - probably more than I should, but this was such an adorable little detail :inlove:

Also: the part with the binder "stuffed with god only knows what" was just hilarious :lmfao:

And then there was Barrett, all sick and miserable and unable to find his voice against the storm that was Aiden in wedding-preparation-mode.

Barrett, who had joined him, reached for one, “This is nice.” He said softly, his throat had been bothering him since leaving the office.

For me, this part carries so many emotions and meanings on the various layers of both the story and their relationship in general: Aiden, being focused so much on perfection and detail that he doesn't see how he's hogging all the decision making and excludes Barrett and his opinons from the process. Then Barrett already showing signs of fatigue and weakness, which go by unnoticed. Finally the fact that Barrett is just too weak to say anything more - probably also because part of him knows that there is no arguing with Aiden when it comes to design questions and that it's just Aiden's thing to be all perfectionist about something like this. And all of this, stuffed into this one, perfeclty crafted part?! :cryhappy::inlove:

I was tempted to quote a lot more and suddenly realised that I was about to in-depth critique almost every other sentence, which might probably be a little too much (Me, getting way too emotionally invested in fictional characters? - Naaaah.... :blush::lol: ), so to sum up my feelings about this ficlet: *squeee* OMG *melt* ^_^

@Hedgehog Barrett is in for it if this is how Aiden is this long before the wedding :rofl: But really do we expect anything less from our diva :heart:

@Selene omgoodness what a comment!! :heart::heart:

On 3/17/2018 at 5:24 PM, Selene said:

"Oh sweet Marie" sounded like such a spot on, perfect thing for him to say, I loved it - probably more than I should, but this was such an adorable little detail

I did love that line, it just seem to fit him so well. :D

On 3/17/2018 at 5:24 PM, Selene said:

I was tempted to quote a lot more and suddenly realised that I was about to in-depth critique almost every other sentence, which might probably be a little too much (Me, getting way too emotionally invested in fictional characters? - Naaaah.... :blush::lol: ), so to sum up my feelings about this ficlet: *squeee* OMG *melt* ^_^

Nonononono I love it :heart: Thank you for this, I love when people dissect my OCs :yes:

Decided to revive the Pickle Chronicles thanks to a lovely idea inspired by @AdrianMarx :heart: This takes place when Gabriel is about 30.

~~~~

Gabriel Lane Herondale was in a bit of a pickle, a conundrum so to speak. The chilly wind slapped his pale face, blowing his grey hair into his eyes as he huffed down the cobblestone path of Davenport’s main campus. A stinging burning sensation already had nestled in his chest but running late on the first day of teaching was not an option.

Entering the corridor of Wesley Hall, Gabriel pushed a shoulder against the solid old oak door forcing it open. His red scarf nearly undone sliding off his neck needed a readjustment however Gabriel’s tight chest forced him over. Bending to catch his breath the scarf slid onto the floor. “Blast it.” The words came through a high pitched wheeze. Gabriel reached down fetching the garment.

Removing an inhaler from his pocket, he shook it quickly then pressed it to his lips drawing in the healing mist. Temporary relief in hand, he began to trudge down the hall toward where he assumed the elevator should be. His class was on the fourth floor of Wesley, a building which dated back almost a hundred years, the asthmatic professor definitely did not want to climb any stairs. Rounding the corner still fighting for a decent breath a rush of disappointment, much like the cool autumn wind, rushed over him.

Out of Order.

Gabriel stared hopeless at the sign taped to the elevator door a defeated “Oh dear.” sighed out of him. Another asthmatic wheezed escaped forcing his inhaler back to his mouth. Looking around, Gabriel wondered if perhaps there was a second lift. A janitor stood a few steps from him.

“Excuse me.” He coughed out quickly clearing his throat. The janitor looked up from his mopping duty. “Is there another lift…” Gabriel could barely finish, his breath scantily able to form the words

The janitor shook his head. “Sorry mate, most of the buildings on campus only have one.” Pivoting he used the blunt end of his mop to point down the hallway. “Stairs are down there.” Mop on ground he went back to work.

A full body sigh shook Gabriel as he hurried down toward the corridor. Hiking up his briefcase, he made it to the first landing before a sharp whistling sounded from his lungs. Gabriel leaned exhausted against the wall once again praying his rescue inhaler could get him to the fourth floor. Another flight, another rest on the landing repeated, each step felt heavier than the last, until his body collapsed on the last one. A stitching burn engulfed his chest, but he’d made it. Sadly he couldn’t move, his lungs not able to bring in enough air to recover. Tears began to sting the corners of his eyes; his first class he’d be late for.

“Professor Herondale?”

Gabriel weakly looked up, a young woman with crystal blue eyes and long red hair looked down at him. “Are you alright?” She asked holding out her hand.

Grabbing onto it, Gabriel pulled himself up supporting his weakened body with the hand rail. “Yes…bit out…of…breath…” He wheezed hard placing a hand against his chest. “Excuse me…I shan’t…be…late…on…” The words trailed off, Gabriel prayed his feet would move.

“Oh you didn’t get the email?” The young woman raised her eyebrows confused.

“Em…ail?” Gabriel didn’t know he had one. However, her confusion gave him another chance to use his inhaler, the mist calming his inflamed lungs. “No…I…” He cleared his throat. “Didn’t.”

“Oh! Well…I’m Giselle York, your TA. The time was moved to 10:30 instead of 10. So you have time.” A perky smile brightened her face.

A wave of relief surged through Gabriel, but he was only able to force a smile followed by a weak. “Thank you.” Giselle told Gabriel she’d bring him some water.

Gabriel found a nearby chair slumping down onto the plastic frame. His head ached along with his chest. Removing a handkerchief from the coat pocket, he mopped the beaded sweat from his brow. You’re not late, Gabe. You’re not late…

Pushing up, amazed his body responded, Gabriel gradually walked to his classroom thanking his lucky stars he’d have a bit of time to prepare and hopefully catch his breath.

I'm glad you don't mind me dissecting them. I shall continue to do so ^_^:heart:

My lungs ached in sympathy while I was reading this :lol: Yes, that's how engaging that piece is written. Phew.. might need a minute there to catch my breath.

Speaking of breath: before I go on to dissect characters, let me dissect language for a bit. Why? Because I am in love with the nuanced use of breath- and sigh-related vocab going on here. Like, we start out with Gabriel huffing down the cobblestone path, a little worrying, but nothing to be alarmed. Then we proceed to him wheezing ("high-pitched wheeze" perfect expression to heighten the feeling of urgentness and growing desperation in his breathing :heart: ) and finally, you made even me hold my breath long enough to feel relieved once Gabriel took his inhaler, with this: 

Gabriel’s tight chest forced him over. Bending to catch his breath the scarf slid onto the floor. “Blast it.” The words came through a high pitched wheeze. Gabriel reached down fetching the garment.

Removing an inhaler from his pocket, he shook it quickly then pressed it to his lips drawing in the healing mist. Temporary relief in hand,

And then just when I thought I was safe, you built up the tension again after briefly allowing me to take a breath during the janitor-scene (which amused me quite a bit - somehow I pictured the guy from Scrubs :laugh: )

So you proceeded to give us all kinds of beautiful descriptions of Gabriel's hindered speech.

“Oh dear.” sighed out of him

Excuse me.” He coughed out quickly clearing his throat.

:wub: I loved how the act of speaking out loud so that another person could hear him caused a worse reaction than just him, speaking to himself and that it grew worse over time, until he barely managed to get out words, let alone a sequence of connected words.

And then you've also included this: 

A full body sigh shook Gabriel as he hurried down toward the corridor.

A FULL BODY SIGH?! :cryhappy: I wasn't aware that this was an expression you could use, but it's perfect and I will forever see Gabriel sighing in defeat like that when he realised that he'd have to take the stairs (poor guy :cry: )

All of this combined with the various descriptions of his tightening chest was so delicately paced - just the right amount of teasing for the readers to hold their breath as well. 

So, yeah.. that thing where you give detailed descriptions of Gabriels breathing in all of its possible nuances and varieties? I'm a great fan! :blush:

As for the characters: Gabriel was just too precious to be true, but I'd like to mention two particular parts:

“Em…ail?” Gabriel didn’t know he had one.

That was just hilarious :lmfao:And so Gabriel :heart: There was this image in my mind, of Gabriel, happily ignoring the fact that someone somewhere set up an email account for him :laugh2: Maybe there is an inbox at the Davenport server, filled to the brim with unanswered emails from students and colleagues who don't know him well enough to know that he has no idea about emails and such :mail2:

Tears began to sting the corners of his eyes; his first class he’d be late for.

This part up there was the part where I've melted again... Poor Gabriel... I'm sure he put himself under a lot of pressure as it was. After all, first class is something very special, something where you can really make or break your reputation as a professor and I am sure Gabriel wanted to give is best and to live up to the expectations - especially his own. Failing to be on time, he would probably have felt guilty and depressed for a long time afterwards. That's also why I was beyond happy to find out that he'd be on time :heart:

Awwww! Lovely Gabriel. Poor dear.

Oh Aiden.....sweet blind Aiden...Barrett will still love and marry you even if their are baby blues mixed with ocean blues. Lol. 

Omg, I'm so glad this thread is still going! I love your characters and their stories are so well written. This is a but embarrassing to say because I hadn't been back to the forum for a while even though I joined a couple of months ago, but I really admired your writing and it inspired me to post two short fics give of my own. Sorry babbling. Gabriel is precious and Aiden is such a diva, but a caring one and I love this.

On 19.3.2018 at 7:38 PM, Kaze wo Hiku said:

But really do we expect anything less from our diva :heart:

Of course not! :razz:

On 17.3.2018 at 2:23 AM, Kaze wo Hiku said:

The sick lawyer sighed in relief, finally a bit of relief.  He used any strength remaining to cuddle close, burying his hot face into Aiden’s shirt. 

“Retty…this is silk.” Aiden said in playfully scolding tone.

“I’ll buy you a new one.” Barrett rasped as a smile flickered on his face.

This was such a perfect ending, too. :wub:

Also - poor asthmatic Gabe in that last one. And he didn't even have Liam yet... :( (I hope, Micheal was nice to him after that day.)

@Selene Ahhhh your comments always make me so happy!! :hug:  I'm glad you liked my language since one of the things I never think I do well is explain a scene, I always think I should have added more.  I'm glad Gabriel's subtle nuisances were easily picked up.  And you are correct about Gabriel wanting to be on time since he did put pressure on himself to be a good teacher from the very first day.  I did debate him actually being late but then changed since I thought my dear needed a break :heart:

@AngelEyes hehehe always "poor Gabriel" :D

@Arty Barrett would marry Aiden in the back alley behind a bar if he had too :rofl:

@SD12 Thank you and wow...I'm glad I was able to inspire you :blush::) I'm glad you like my boys.

@Hedgehog No Liam :( so hopefully he got a nice call from Michael that night.

Ok this is for Hedgie who requested Noll being his normal idiot self :P

~~~~

Title: King of Nothing At All

Prompt: One Foot by Walk the Moon

Characters: Noll, Jasper and Ren

He hadn’t meant to get angry. Of course, that phrase could be etched into Noll Kaiser’s tombstone. The artist had only wanted some peace and quiet while painting.  Sadly the basement of his gallery wasn’t where he found it.  If he’d known Ren had been there plans would have been changed.

Digging his numbing fingers into his jeans pocket, Noll pulled out a crumpled dollar, not enough for cab fare.  The snow which had begun falling roughly an hour ago covered his light blonde hair and much too thin coat.  Not about to go back inside, Noll gritted his teeth and gripped his cane, limping down the side walk.  A cut through the park would cut his walk time in half, well on normal days, without snow.  The sidewalk had been shoveled from the last snowstorm a few days ago but the fresh flakes gave a much dreaded slickness. 

Coat hunched up around his neck, Noll’s freezing free hand tightly held onto the front, a sad attempt in keeping the wind off his neck.  Walking home in snow with a cane was hard enough, for Noll it was much harder…as he was not totally sober.

After the argument with Ren he’d hobbled over to Taylor’s hoping to drink away the anger seething in his neck muscles.  Sebastian eyed Noll the entire time he drank, ordering several bourbons in a row, throwing back each glass as if it was his first.  Finally, the tall, honey skilled bartender thrust his chin toward the door when Noll ordered a fourth.

Now he stumbled drunkenly through icy paths, Noll began losing feeling in the tips of his fingers.  Gripping the frigid handle of the cane stung as the artists hand stiffened.  As he passed a snow encrusted bench, the cane fell from his grasp. Noll flailed sliding forward, catching the seat of the bench against his shins.  Pain forced him down, landing lopsided on the wintry bench. A curse snarled off his lips as he used a nearly frozen hand to support his weight against the bench. Noll pulled his hand out of the print it had made burying it in his jacket. The snow felt like tiny shards of glass slowly melting through his fingers. Reaching stiffly over, Noll managed to find his cane half covered on the ground. The wind whipped around his hair nipping at his ears, the artist winced as he hunched his shoulders turning away from blowing snow.

A deep shiver shook Noll as he sat, teeth chattering his vision began to blur, the effects of drinking muting his senses, the winter scene clouded into winter haze.

“Noll!”

A voice in the distance, familiar too, who was it?

“Damn it, Noll! Look at me!”

A flicker of eyelids, Noll’s sea green eyes stared lazily at the crack above him. His loft. He was home but how his last muddled memory was the park. The artists hands burned, a numbing ache ran along his fingers. This pain equaled only the pounding in his head, tension ate at his neck and temples. A trickle of sweat slowly maneuvered down the side of his gaunt face.

“Thank Jesus.” The familiar voice exhaled, Noll couldn’t bring himself to meet his best friends face. “You’ve done some stupid irresponsible things but this might trump them all.” Jasper ran his hand through his dark curly hair.

The ends of Noll’s mouth twitched however his cracked lips remained glued together.

“No no, I don’t want excuses, half-assed apologies or lies.” Jasper hissed as he replaced the cloth of Noll’s forehead. The artist winced reacting to the cold cloth. “You’re damn lucky Ren found you when he did. You’re even more lucky I was already on my way to the museum.” Jasper leaned back on his chair crossing his arms over his chest. “He told me what happened.”

Noll closed his eyes, the light from the room, burned them. He managed a hard swallow down his dry throat, he wanted to ask about Ren but he lacked any strength to speak. Suddenly a deep shudder wracked his body, Jasper pulled off the wet cloth then adjusted the blanket tucking it in around the artist. “Your fever was 103 yesterday. Today it’s roughly 102.2.” Jasper ran a thermometer over Noll’s sweaty forehead then brushed away some of the matted hair from around his best friends eyes. When the instrument beeped a low sigh escaped him. “102.6. Great.” He said humorlessly setting the thermometer on the end table. Jasper then rose starting to pace back and forth in front of Noll’s bed, turning sharply on his heels each time. “Thank god Celeste is out of town.” He muttered under his breath.

Jasper’s agitated pacing was interrupted by a knock at the door. “That’ll be Ren.” He said heading that way letting the younger coordinator in. Noll weakly arched his head toward the two. Ren’s feathery brown hair was hidden under a knit hat, he wore a thick wool scarf and his navy winter coat. His glasses partly fogged sat on his nose which had a slight red tint to it. Removing a glove him his hand, Ren stepped closer to Noll looking down at him behind his glasses.

“I see he’s awake.” His voice cracked as he spoke.

“It just happened.” Jasper said taking a seat again. He sat forward leaning his head atop his palms.

Noll averted his feverish gaze from Ren’s glaring brown eyes. “I suppose I have you to thank for this bought of laryngitis.  The great Noll Kaiser, the King who believes he’s untouchable even against a hellish snow storm.  Laughable really.” He whispered hoarsely. “However, I’ve come bearing gifts at your babysitters request.” Ren paused to clear his throat then removed a bottle from his coat pocket.  “Apparently you require actual liquid medicine, not simply the aged kind.”  A dull smirk crossed his lips before breaking into a harsh barking cough. 

“Thank you, Ren, sorry for making you come out.” Jasper said with a tired smile. “Go home and rest.” 

Ren removed his inhaler taking a quick puff then nodded.  “I am. Keep me informed on the King’s health.“ He quipped walking out of the loft.

Jasper sighed looking at Noll whose head still faced the opposite side.  “You owe him you know.”

“Stuff…it…Jas” Noll managed weakly. He prayed the small tear running down his cheek would be mistaken for sweat.

Archived