Sneeze Fetish Forum

Uh - I love the first part of this chapter - really love it. And thank you for your warm words above. :)

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• James (ellamalaka)

• The Sneezster

• Hedgehog

• cool_lissy

Trish had just gotten over the worst of her laryngitis on Wednesday afternoon and decided to call and thank her friend Maggie for helping nurse her back to health. Maggie had somehow discovered where she lived and helped her on Sunday. She was remarkably improved this Wednesday afternoon and would be back to work the next day. Her voice, however, still sounded awful. Trish was embarrassed by how she sounded but Maggie had seen her when she couldn’t talk so there was no need to feel badly about speaking to her now. Her broken, quivery voice rasped as she went:

“Hey girl! This is Trish. I’m finally getting my voice back, a bit, so I wanted to thank you for nursing me through this. I’d love to chat you’d like. Don’t let my lack of voice scare you off, I’m actually feeling and sounding a lot better. Talk you you later, maybe! Bye!”

It sounded pretty bad and there it was recorded on Maggie’s voicemail.

Trish had a late lunch with her roommates. They were recovering, too, and regaining their voices. The whole house was husky but able to talk. They were a group of girls that had just been very very sick but they were feeling much better today.

“So what did you think of Maggie, if you can remember her. I was pretty out of it with my fever,” Trish asked as she spread apricot jam onto another slice of bread. Her appetite was getting back to normal and each bit of the delicious snack brought vitality back to her,

“She was wonderful and obviously very much in love with you,” said Andrea. “She wants to meet you when you’re not out of your head feverish.”

“What do you mean meet me? I’ve known her for two years,” Trish said, incredulity present even in her laryngitis-voice.

“Oh, there’s some confusion here,” Andrea said, “the girl who came over on Sunday said she’d never met you, just knew you through work.”

“Oh dear,” said Trish, voice squeaking a bit

“You were really out of it!” Andrea pointedly mentioned and they all laughed.

“Oh dear,” said Trish again thinking of the voicemail she’d left Maggie. No call for months and then a voicemail with an unrecognizable voice and a bad cold. Lovely. That was something she could get embarrassed over.

And who in the world had nursed them back to health?

<UHHHHHATCHHHHHHHH!ATCHHHHHHHH!>

The stunning woman in first class sneezed twice into her embroidered hanky and sniffled at her nose. “The nose tickling is picking up,” she thought. “I need to hurry if I’m going to pull this off.” She’d carefully tracked her fever and knew it was over 100 now. “There may not be enough time,” she sighed as she blew her nose.

She’d exposed herself to Trish’s virus long enough to catch it. Now she was taking it to a new destination in the hopes of helping her on a little project. And these poor stewardesses. They were going to be grounded next week. And the woman ahead of her in the rows who was talking about the open house at her daughter’s school next week? If she went at all it would be without a voice.

If you’re like me you may have wondered where this terrible illness originated. While it isn’t exactly clear but we can trace the line of contagion back to Trish’s office. A young lady by the name of Caroline Bramlett was the first to expose Anna to the virus. She’d been in the grips of it when she’d visited the doctor’s office. Of course, Anna gave it to Trish, Trish to Becky, Becky to Helen, and so on.

Caroline acquired the illness in January, not long after New Year’s. Before we get into all that let’s talk about Caroline a little bit. She’s tall and full with wonderful curves at her hips and breasts. She’s a bit old-fashioned in her dress and manners, following antiquated notions of behavior. I guess you could say that she’s a lady. She wears very feminine clothing and even stockings and garter belts, although not for sexual reasons, purely for aesthetics. Although a healthy and strong girl in almost all situations she seems to be prone to infections of the respiratory tract. Of course, she’s not the kind of girl to take a day off for the sniffles which almost always makes her colds worse and infects those around her. Caroline is very candid about her colds and always remarks on them and her propensity to spread them. Like any caring woman she’s very attuned to illness in others and that frequently gets her sick.

Caroline, in the bluster of winter, heels clacking on the frozen pavement of the city, about to meet two friends…

The door of Lesbos opened and the cold winter air and Caroline followed it in. She’d made a reservation for herself and two others. She was playing matchmaker tonight for two girls. Alex had already arrived and sat alone at the table until Caroline joined her. They hugged briefly and exchanged pleasantries and small-talk.

“Are you nervous?” asked Caroline, referring to the meeting planned with Simone.

Alex began to respond but took her fist briefly to her mouth and coughed a single hack, clearing her throat. “A bit, yes. You know I don’t like these kinds of things. I trust you, though,” and there was genuine appreciation in her eyes.

Alexis had been battling a sore throat since yesterday morning. It just seemed to get worse and worse as the days went on and now that she’d been out in the weather her throat was itchy and she had a little cough. She was prone to chest colds and coughs so she wasn’t too surprised to be coming down with something in the middle of winter. She was actually not feeling well now that she was sitting at the restaurant but there was no way she was going to miss this date. Her nervousness eased when Simone finally showed up. She was beautiful and friendly. It was easy to talk to her and Caroline helped keep the conversation going.

Thank you for two new, sweet chapters. I like the chapter numbers atm - you know, why... ;)

Keeps going up.

Simone arrived not long after Carol. She was as tall as her hostess but lanky and sporty. She’d played volleyball in college and loved to shoot hoops on the weekends even now. Like Alexis she’d been battling a sore throat since the morning before. In her case she was prone to head colds that left her nose completely clogged so she wasn’t surprised some sniffles had shown up that evening on the way to the restaurant. She wasn’t feeling all that great, either, but found Carol and Alex’s company warm and comfortable.

They’d dined and talked, Alex occasionally turning to the side and placing a hack into her fist, always clearing her throat quietly afterwards.

Simone was sniffling her nose secretively, too.

Caroline hadn’t failed to notice that Alex had a little cough and Simone was sniffling. Of course, it was winter and lots of girls were getting sick.

Despite their conditions they’d seemed very happy with the company and neither showed any indication that they wanted to leave. Since it was going so well Caroline decided that she should leave and let them move to the bar. Caroline noticed that both girls were feeling a little warm when she hugged them goodbye.

As she’d made her way to the taxi that evening she reflected upon how well everything seemed to be going but felt a little ache in her heart because Alex seemed to be catching one of her characteristic coughs and Simone was coming down with one of her signature head colds. Her feet were frozen by the time she hailed a cab.

Caroline didn’t hear from either girl until she rang Alex on Sunday afternoon. She’d woken up feeling a little achy and something about the feeling made her think of the date Friday night. Alex picked up and a froggy voice had said, “Hey Carol,” before descending into a barrage of coughs.

“Sorry about that,” she continued in her froggy voice once she’d recovered from the coughing fit.

“Poor Alex, you’re catching one of your chest colds, aren’t you?” Caroline said to her froggy-voiced fried.

“I think I am, yes. I’ve been coughing since I saw you,” she’d confirmed.

The two ladies chatted about the date, Alex explaining how well it went and how they’d have stayed longer but neither was feeling well by the end of the night.

“I woke up sick yesterday,” Alex had said before her next hacking cough.

Although she was very busy that Sunday Caroline knew that she needed to help nurse her sick friend. She started preparing soup when they hung up and decided to phone Simone and ask what she’d thought of the evening. The phone rang a few times before…

“Bello?” the clogged voice of Simone said over the line.

“Oh dear,” thought Caroline and doubled her portion of soup. Simone shortly confirmed what was obvious: she was coming down with one of her usual bad head colds and could barely breathe today. On the plus side, her date with Alex had gone swimmingly.

Caroline refused to blame her friends for getting her sick and as a Victorian she only allowed herself to get sick in the most literary ways possible. Her mother had strict rules for how girls got sick and Caroline believed them all. Wet hair was the main culprit for colds. If a girl went out with wet hair in the winter she was going to have a nice sneeze going shortly. A younger Caroline had at times tested these theories and she’d always proven them correct. In college she’d woken up late one morning and hadn’t had time to dry her hair. Like her mother predicted, she came home with a cold.

Wet feet or cold feet were perhaps even worse. If Caroline’s feet got wet it wasn’t long before she was sniffling. Sometimes when it rained she’d step errantly into a puddle and naturally, she’d be sick that week.

Once she had a cold she needed to stay extra vigilant in order to keep it from getting worse. This included keeping her hair and feet dry but her mother always warned her to wear a scarf. Wearing a scarf helped keep the cold from getting any worse. She’d tested this theory once and gone outside with a bad headcold and no scarf. Poor Caroline had a husky voice the next morning and no voice by the end of the day.

Winter winds should always be avoided because they caused coughs. Caroline had gotten quite a few coughs from the wintry wind.

Whether by chance or fate or whatever the case Caroline got home that Sunday after visiting a friend with a head cold and one with a chest cold. Her hair and clothes were soaking wet and she was shivery cold. She didn’t have a scarf and the wind was biting that evening.

“Oh dear,” she thought shivering in the hallway of her home. “I am going to catch cold and a cough. My hair and feet are soaked.”

The small sore throat that she’d ignored all afternoon had bloomed and her nose had started with a slight drip. Caroline’s extensive collection of

ladies’ hankies were spread out upon her dresser that evening, the first one clutched in her hand and dabbing her runny nose.

Caroline woke up the next morning with a very sore throat and a runny nose. She wasn’t feeling well but had responsibilities. Several of her hankies went into her purse in preparation for a nose-blowy day.

The morning did not go well. First of all, Caroline got soaking wet in the rain. Secondly, she didn’t have a scarf. And finally, a cough and a sneeze showed up early that morning. Her sore throat got tickly very soon and her hanky became the repository for a new cough. Caroline’s sneezes were remarkably dainty, given her size. They had lots of buildup but were quiet at the end.

Ah!AHHHH! …choo, Caroline sneezed into her hanky for the first time, wet from the rain.

“Bless you, Carol,” her concerned friend Jamie had said.

“Thanks,” Caroline said, blowing her nose into the hanky. “I’m catching cold and a cough.”

It was indeed a cold and a cough for Caroline that Monday. She’d expected it after the rain soaking of the night before. She’d taken soup to coughing Alex and sneezing Simone. Her throat was scratchy and sore when she got home and her younger sister had immediately warned her saying “Caroline, you are soaking wet. I hope your hankies are laundered because you’re going to need them this week.”

“I know, Elizabeth. My hair and feet are soaked. I’m going to catch cold and a cough,” Caroline replied to her concerned sister.

“Are you already falling ill?” she asked

“A little, yes. My throat is scratchy,” said Carol, clearing her throat slightly.

The warmth between them was obvious but not enough to fight off the cold in Caroline’s nose and throat.

“I got soaking wet in the rain this evening,” she’d said over the phone to her colleague a few hours later.

“Yeah, it is frigid out there today,” was Jamie’s reply.

“Yes, but my hair and feet got wet. I’m going to catch cold and a cough,” Caroline insisted.

“Do you always catch a cold when you get rained on?” asked Jamie, now interested in elegant Caroline’s condition.

“Of course. Don’t you?” Caroline responded back, a bit confused that Jamie had never noticed that getting wet in the rain made you sick.

“Well, I guess so. But I usually get sick off of someone who already has a cold. You know, from their sneeze or cough,” Jamie explained contagion.

“If my feet or hair get wet in the rain I’ll come down with a cold,” Caroline explained. “I ended up with both wet hair and feet today so that means a cold and a cough this week,” Caroline sniffled, her nose just the teensiest bit runny.

“You seem certain that you’re going to get sick,” Jamie ventured, curious at Caroline’s candor.

“Jamie, when a lady goes out in winter with wet hair or feet she’s going to get sick. That’s just what happens. And I didn’t just get a little bit wet, I got soaked. And now I’m catching something. Seems pretty obvious,” Caroline gave an explanation of where colds came from.

“I guess I’ve caught colds after being in the rain,” Jamie conceded.

“Of course you have. That’s how you get sick. Remember the cold I brought back from Thanksgiving break?” Caroline asked about her illness from a few months prior.

“Sure,” Jamie confirmed

“I caught it from getting my feet wet. My friend and I were out shopping on black Friday and there was bad weather. I kept telling her that I needed to get home before my feet got wet and I caught a cold. I remember I told Jessica several times about it. I said, ‘Jessica, I hope it stops raining before my feet get wet and I catch cold.’ Jessica already had a little headcold and her feet got wet as well. She woke up the next morning with a bad cold and was sick all week.”

“Well Caroline, you seem to catch colds in a very cute way,” Jamie responded, not knowing what to say.

“Thank you,” was Caroline’s gracious reply.

“How is the cold, Caroline?” Jamie asked her the next morning. The two were standing under an awning, drinking coffee and watching the grey drizzle fall.

Caroline was dressed elegantly but she looked a little tired. She’d worn a long skirt but her blouse was low cut exposing her upper chest to the weather.

“I’m catching it. And this one is going to get nasty. My feet are soaked already this morning,” Caroline said, feeling her saturated stockings in her high cut boots.

“Still just catching it?” Jamie pressed

“Yes, catching cold. My throat is scratchy and sore and I’m not feeling well. I think I’m running a little temperature but I haven’t taken it yet. My nose has some sniffles in it, too,” and she sniffled slightly showing the runniness.

“Have you been sneezing?” Jamie asked.

“Not yet but my nose is feeling a little tickly this morning. I’ll probably be sneezing by lunch, if not before.

“Shouldn’t you get out of your wet shoes?” Jamie offered.

“I can’t walk around without my shoes, that would be even worse!” Caroline replied, mortified. “I’m just going to have to accept that I have wet feet and a cold on the way. Yes, my wet feet are going to make my cold a lot worse but there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“Do you ever…” Jamie stopped herself, not knowing if she should go on. “Do you ever…” she repeated with anticipation, “give… your sniffles to a friend?” she asked, embarrassed.

Caroline saw how much Jamie admired her cold candor. “Oh, of course,” she said with a sniff for emphasis. “I always share my sniffles with those who are close to me.”

“Well then I’m going to stay close to you,” Jamie said, already feeling closer to this elegant woman. “You know something else?”

“What’s that?” Caroline asked her with a big smile.

“I accidentally got my feet soaking wet this morning, too,” Jamie admitted. She’d allowed her shoes to stop in every puddle until they were cold and wet, hoping to test Caroline’s theory about how a girl got sick.

“Oh dear,” Caroline said with motherly concern. “You’re going to catch cold.”

“Am I going to get sick?” Jamie asked, biting her lower lip.

“If you got your feet wet in the rain then you certainly are,” Caroline said, stretching out a hand to touch Jamie on the shoulder. “I’m sorry, Jamie. Looks like you and I are going to be sneezing sisters this week.”

“I guess if I have to be sneezing and sick I wouldn’t mind sharing it with you,” Jamie said, feeling a connection with Caroline.

“You need to keep your hair dry so you don’t make your cold worse,” advised Caroline. “I’m catching cold and a cough from getting my hair and feet wet.

Jamie looked at Caroline directly in the eyes and stepped from under the awning back into the drizzle of the morning. The rain immediately started collecting on her hair and shoulders.

“Oh dear…” said Caroline, genuine concern in her voice. “You’re going to get sick.”

• 3 weeks later...

“Bless you, Carol” Jamie said to Caroline’s first sneeze that next morning. Caroline had a big build-up on her sneeze but a quiet and restrained climax. Caroline covered the sneeze with an open hand placed in front of her nose. The sneeze didn’t particularly spray but she sniffled afterwards, her runny nose increasing.

“Well, that’s the beginning of the sneezes,” she assessed and sniffled her nose again.

“You have the sneezes along with the sniffles?” asked Jamie curiously.

“Well, sniffles and pretty sore throat.” Caroline said, swallowing with a wince. “Yeah, my throat really hurts and has since last night.”

“You really are getting sick,” Jamie said, some amazement in her tone. “All from getting wet hair and feet.”

“If I get my feet wet in the rain I *always* catch cold,” Caroline emphasized. “Once I feel my shoes getting soaked I just prepare myself for the sniffles and sneezes of the coming days.”

“My feet are soaked, too,” Jamie said, turning her foot towards Caroline and showing the line of water up her boots.

“We’re going to be awfully sick ladies this week,” Caroline concluded.

The conversation turned to work afterwards, Caroline sniffling through it. They were working on a campaign to gather petitions for a fashionable political cause. It doesn’t matter what it was, fill in the details with your political leanings. As such, they spent most of the day downtown in the central square getting rained on.

“So, if you’ll just sign here we can add you to…“ Caroline’s voice caught and her nose twitched, “to, ugh, to…” AH!AHHHHHH! choo. Caroline’s small sneeze followed the big buildup. She covered her nose gently with an open hand. Jamie picked up where Caroline had left off.

“You’ll have to forgive her. Her feet got wet and she’s catching cold. If you sign we can add you to our list of our supporters.” Caroline had turned away slightly and finally dug a hanky from her purse. She gave her nose a wipe and gentle blow. Her nose cleared but it sounded to Jamie like she needed to blow more but was holding back.

“I’m so sorry about that,” Caroline apologized, stuffiness obvious in her voice. “She’s right, I’m getting sick.”

The interested political patron hadn’t said anything about Caroline’s cold but her look indicated that perhaps the ladies should not be out in the weather if they were falling ill.

“Should we take a break?” Jamie had asked one the exchange had ended, “you’re sounding stuffy.”

“I’m not that stuffy, I just need to blow my nose more,” and Caroline had taken out her hanky and given a more substantial blow. “See, not so stuffy,” she said when finished. Her voice had indeed cleared. “Geez, my throat is soo sore, though,” and Caroline had placed a fist to her mouth and given a gentle cough. She cleared her throat, too, her chest now obviously getting congested.

“Is that the beginnings of a cough?” Jamie inquired.

“I think a little one. As my throat has gotten more sore it has also gotten tickly.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Elegant Caroline had spent an entire day out in the drizzly, winter rain while she was catching head and chest colds. The head cold came from a friend that was well-known for her sneezy-stuffiness and the chest cold from another friend that always got bad coughs. It was the perfect storm, both literally and figuratively. The rain turned to sleet and Caroline developed a hacking cough. By the time she and Jamie were able to call it a day the sun had long set and both girls were soaking wet. Caroline’s voice had a deep congested sound to it and her hacking cough was a constant feature of her character now. The hankies that she’d brought along were long since used and she’s purchased a pack of tissues. One was constantly balled up in her hand and wiping under her nose.

Of course, her innocent counterpart began suffering from the weather and Caroline’s sneezes and coughs, eventually. Jamie’s runny nose was constant, too, and her throat had a sharp pain all afternoon. She sniffled initially until Caroline kindly shared tissues with her. Her nose had gotten tickles as well and at the end of the day she’d blessed one of Caroline’s big build up sneezes and followed it with a, “my nose is tickly, too. I think I’m catching your sneeze.”

Caroline was too busy coughing to immediately reply. Her congested response when was able was an apology. “Sorry girl. I guess I’m a little contagious.”

They parted for home and Caroline was so happy to make it to the cozy confines of her condo. Unfortunately, she was greeted by several sniffly noses inside. Whatever she had was indeed catching.

It was the origin of the worst cold of the season. The one that spread throughout the town sending Anna, Trish, Becky, Violet, Helen, and even Veronica just to name those that we already know, to their beds.

Caroline was devoted to her work so when the thermometer beeped at nearly 102 the next morning, her cough was quickly getting out of control, and her voice sounded like a scratchy, broken mess, she dressed herself elegantly and went off to work.

“Borning girl,” she squeaked and squawked to Jamie when she first saw her workmate. Her cheeks reddened at the sound of her awful voice.

“Caroline..?” began Jamie, her own voice stuffed. “My gosh girl…,” she didn’t quite know what to say.

“Sorry, I’m losing my voice,” she squeaked out and then gave her friend another reason for surprise as she barked her huge cough.

“Are you sure you should be out here?” Jamie tentatively asked.

“It’s just a cold,” Caroline said but her explanation was hardly believable as her voice turned to a whisper as she tried to say ‘cold.’

“A cold so bad you can’t even say cold,” said Jamie, herself thickly embedded with a fever and congestion. But Caroline couldn’t hear her over the sound of the barking cough fit she was engaged with. “You sound like your throat is realllly sore,” she commented.

“Um… it is,” Caroline pitifully squawked out.

Hmm, I like that part - the devotion to work, the fever, the voice and the cough... Very nice. :) (and a number - yes! always love numbers...)

Alrighty fans. I've lacked inspiration the last few months but for some reason it came back today. I've got lots of new parts written and ready to post. I'm going to take the story in a new direction. A lot of our old characters are in this next section and you're going to learn a lot about them. The events take place about a month after the Trish/Becky/Helen stories. I've tried to make the "space" of the story a little more detailed. The town this all takes place in is called Valley. The next section centers on the town's baseball team. Yes, I realize this might alienate some who are not familiar with this mainly American game but I enjoyed writing it and the point is not so much sports as friendship and teamwork. If anybody needs help with baseball then hit me up.

I think it's pretty obvious what's going on, or will be as I post the parts. Stay tuned and enjoy.

Denise stared in, preparing for the 3-1 pitch. Clementine was taking too long on the mound and she called time, stepping from the box. She wiped at her nose with her gloved hand and sniffled again before stepping back in the box and resuming her stance. The Roses just needed a fly ball and they would add a precious run to their lead. They were up 4-3 in the top of ninth with only one out and Evelyn was on third with Georgia on first. If she could get a sacrifice fly then Cammy was up to bat next and the possibility of more runs became probable. More than that, Denise needed something good on her stat line. She wasn’t feeling or playing her best today. In the 1st inning the speedy centerfielder had been too slow to beat out a groundball that she normally flew past. In the 3rd she’d been unable to make a long throw from the outfield she normally nailed. And it was just downhill from there. Now, the game was late and the girl was starting to feel miserable. Her throat hurt and her nose had starting running. Funny little tickles had started edging into her nose, too, making her fight back sneezes. “Just get this RBI on a sacrifice” she thought and she’d help the Roses extend their league leading win streak to 13.

Clementine checked Georgia on first and went into her wind-up. Denise saw the ball but her itchy nose was just enough to distract her swing, causing her to hit it high. The ball launched towards the second basewoman who fielded it cleanly, stepping on the base and then tossing to first for the double play. The home crowd went ballistic for their Queen of Hearts team.

The Hearts had all the momentum now against the visiting Valley Roses. The Roses had scored early but been unable to scratch for a run since the third. And for the last three innings the Hearts had added a run each. Now the deficit was just 1 in the bottom of the ninth and their crowd was fueling the rally. It was fine, though, because Heike, the best closer in all of the WML (Women’s Major League) had been warming up and was taking the mound for her team. She’d recorded 5 saves already this season and had only given up a single earned run. Heike trotted to the mound her amazingly long, blonde braids trailing behind her as she made her way.

This was the season the Valley Roses went from first, to not-first, to first again and won a title for the first time in over 30 years. It was an amazing story of friendship and sisterhood, sacrifice and team-play. It was early March and the Roses were playing their fifth three-game series (of 20) of the season. Thus far, they’d swept them all, going a perfect 12-0. All of the girls were batting and fielding wonderfully. Cammy was leading the league in homeruns and Sarah had pitched 30 innings and struck out 45 batters. In short, they were amazing.

For me, it's difficult to follow as I don't understand all those sport-specific terms. But I'm still curious about what will happen in the next parts.

Thanks for the responses! Here's the next part.

The losing streak had actually started sometime earlier that week. Denise and the Valley Roses had just finished a home series against the East Bay Bakers. It was a great win as the Bakers, although it seemed down a little this season, were traditionally one of the most dominant teams in the Eastern division. The sweep that weekend was the first by the Roses over the Bakers in more than 10 seasons. Heike had closed out a close game on Friday but Saturday and Sunday the Roses were hitting balls all over the place and looking fantastic. Barbara, a rookie, had gotten to pitch 4 innings on Sunday because the Roses had a great lead and no need to use their veteran pitchers. She’d tossed well, and lived up to her reputation as a tiny (she was only 4’10”) but incredible prospect.

Denise, a speedy contact hitter, had knocked in a surprising two homeruns that weekend. She’d made several incredible defensive catches, too, including one leaping catch above the wall to rob a Baker homerun. That play had ended up on the WSR (Women’s Sports Report) top 10 plays of the week. Once the series had ended Denise decided to spend some time with her sister, Trish. She hadn’t seen her much with winter training going on and her frequent road trips. But Trish lived in Valley so the doctor’s office where she worked was just a short drive from the ballpark.

“Hey girl,” she said upon entering the office. Trish sat behind the window between her workmates Anna and Kristina, very friendly and sweet looking ladies. They were suitably impressed to see Denise in the office. Kristina particularly looked her up and down, admiring her athletic, lean body. “I saw you on TV,” Kristina said, using a tone of voice that was perhaps borderline seductive. Trish and Anna looked at each other and giggled.

Denise was always thankful for her fans and she said, “Kristina, is it?” Kristina nodded, her lips wet and shiny. “If you go to the ballpark next Friday they’ll be two tickets waiting for you at the office. We’ll have won 15 in a row by then,” Denise claimed, her confidence not unwarranted.

“Thanks,” Kristina breathed, her voice almost as whispery as it had been last month when she’d been sick and lost it.

“Okay Kristina, you better go dry off,” Trish giggled at her. “My sister is here to have lunch with me, not take you to batting practice,” and she’d exited the office and joined Denise.

Trish was proud of her little sister. They’d both been great athletes but Trish had never been able to hit a big-league curveball like her sister. They were both standouts at Valley College, even playing a season together when Trish was a senior and Denise a freshman. Trish had gotten a tryout with the WML but had played just a single season in the minor leagues before looking for more stable work. Now Denise was in her fourth season with the Roses and becoming a big star for their hometown team.

I've been following this for months, and though I don't know much about baseball I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Trish sat back as the dishes arrived. “I called Maggie last month,” she said.

“Really? Why? I didn’t think you wanted to speak to her ever again,” her sister said with some surprise.

“It was an accident. When you work in a doctor’s office during cold and flu season, you’re gonna get a cold. And I had one,” Trish explained.

“You called her because you had a cold?” Denise asked, confused.

“Have you been watching the news?” Trish asked.

“Not really, no. Between training and playing, not at all, in fact,” Denise said.

Trish laughed a bit. “It’s probably good that you’ve been on the road. There was a really contagious viral infection that swept through the Valley. Pretty much everyone got it. I caught it at work and ended up in bed for a few days. I even lost my voice,” Trish explained.

“Oh, poor Trish,” Denise said, feeling for her sister.

“Anyway, it seems to have spread to Asbury now, which is strange because that’s so far away, but who knows with this sort of thing,” Trish expounded

“Well, we don’t play Asbury for another month so hopefully it will have cleared up by then,” Denise said, thinking of their series against the Asbury Eves later in the season.

“Probably. It’s viral so just bed rest and time is all that’s needed. Still, I was pretty out of it for a few days. Then I came back to work and had a relapse. Ended up missing quite a bit of time over it,” Trish recalled her battle with the season’s worst cold. “Still, it ultimately brought be a little closer to someone,” Trish said, a little smile playing on her lips.

“How do you mean?” asked Denise before beginning on her salad.

“Well, in the midst of being sick with it I was awfully contagious. I actually wonder how many other girls I got sick, to be honest. But one for certain. I went back to see how she was when I recovered. She’d lost her voice, just like me, but was also doing better. We, uh, sort of hit it off,” Trish hesitated.

“Sort of hit it off?” Denise repeated back as a question.

“Okay, we’ve been dating for about a month. She’s a lot younger than me, still in college, but very mature. Her name is Becky.” Trish said, thinking of the lingerie saleswoman who was not only great at dressing her, but also undressing her.

“Oh, I’m so happy for you, even if you’re being a total creeper and going for college girls, Denise jested. “So you just sneezed around until you got someone sick and then asked her on a date?”

“Something like that,” Trish giggled.

Helen Yeldon spotted Denise from across the restaurant. As part owner of the Valley Roses team she was always interested in what her players were up to. She sent a text to the other part owner of the team, her public enemy, private friend Veronica. “Glad to see the girls out enjoying their success,” texted back Veronica.

• 2 weeks later...

The whole plan to make the Roses into a title contending team had started about four years prior at Veronica’s house. She and Helen were wrapped up in blankets, helping each other blow their noses, and feverishly sick in the dead of winter.

“I know I’m running a pretty high fever right now,” said Helen, voice husky from the cold she’d had all week,” but I want you to take this crazy idea seriously.” She blew her nose in an elegant lace hanky and then began. “I think we should buy the Roses.”

Veronica laughed, but it turned immediately into a pounding cough. “You want to buy that wilted franchise?” she said, regaining her breath.

“Don’t you remember how good they were back when we were growing up,” said Helen, optimism even in her hoarse voice.

“Yeah, but that was…” Veronica thought but realized it was too many years to say aloud, “a long time ago.”

“Back in the days of Pantaloon Pam when the middle of the lineup was called the Bloomers for all the hits they got,” Helen remembered fondly.

“Wow, when you say it out loud it sounds even more old timey than it already is,” Veronica cut back. “Are you sure your fever hasn’t boiled your brain?” She said, feeling Helen’s hot forehead.

“I’m serious V. I still have my box even though I rarely go because they’re so bad. But last season they drafted an amazing rookie named Cammy. She’s fantastic. And I know some good college players coming up. And when I was over in Germany I saw an incredible pitcher named Heike. If we worked together we could build the team up,“ Helen said, both fever and wonder in her eyes.

“I’m gonna go get some more cough medicine,” Veronica said, leaving their mound of blankets on the couch. She hoped leaving would end the subject but she couldn’t stop thinking about it. The ballpark. The girls throwing, and hitting, and running. And maybe even winning. It was something to look forward to. And she knew this Cammy that Helen spoke of. She was amazing. Helen knew her stuff. If she’d been scouting ball players then she probably knew what she was doing.

Veronica coughed loudly, her chest congested and wheezy. Owning a baseball team, that was really the last thing she needed. But still, the hotdogs, the crack of the bat, and crisp white lines of the baselines came back to her. And imagining the Roses winning again, their proud uniform logo revered instead of laughed at. Veronica shook her head. “My fever must be higher than I thought because I am seriously considering this mess,” she said to herself.

When she came back Helen was slumped over, eyes half closed, nose red and snotty. “There’s no way I think we should buy the team but I will say one thing. Cammy… wow,”

“Yeah, she’s a dream,” Helen said through her hoarseness.

“Let’s keep this team buying as a dream and not bring it up again, okay?” Veronica half-heartedly said.

“Maybe,’ said Helen but her voice was so hoarse and whispery that Veronica didn’t hear her.

As Trish and Denise approached the doctor’s office again an incredible barking cough was audible, even outside.

“Oh my gosh, that’s it,” said Trish.

“What, kennel cough?” Denise said in jest.

“That’s the cough of the UC, the terrible viral infection I told you about,’ Trish explained. “Geez, I hope I don’t catch it again,” lamented Trish.

“It could seem you’re at the front line of this thing,” Denise said. “I guess Becky could help you put on your big girl panties, if you need them.”

A sharp look from Trish quickly turned to a smile at the friendly jesting from her little sister. As they walked inside the feverish girl at the counter turned aside again and barked her horrible cough. She continued speaking to Anna in the husky whisper of voice that was all she had left. She’d done a fantastic job of filling the waiting room for her contagious germs.

Denise, kept far away from this virus so far, was instantly infected. The germs entered her nose and throat and settled in, finding a willing new home.

“Well, I’ll see you later. Obviously I’m needed here,” said Trish, hugging her sister goodbye.

“See you, sis, “ said Denise as she departed.

Across the counter Kristina jumped from her chair and almost yelled out, “Good luck, Denise!” her eyes alight again at the sight of this woman she found very attractive. Denise looked back and winked before heading out the door.

Trish and Anna giggled again at Kristina’s behavior. “Gee Kristina, I had no idea you were such a ball-hag,” said Anna with another laugh.

“We’re called Gardeners,” she corrected without looking over. So that was it. Kristina was a Gardener, the booster club for the Roses team. They were known for dressing up for games, starting chants, and generally being the rowdiest and most loyal fans. “I missed the opener when I was sick. And I wasn’t able to cheer the second weekend due to not having my voice back. So I’m ready for more games.” She said with conviction.

Kristina had missed some days of work the previous month when she’d been sick with the rest of the girls but she was taking a half day on Friday to drive to Heartland and see the Roses play against the Queen of Hearts team with the rest of the Gardeners. Her Denise jersey was already hanging on her closet door, ready for the game. She’d had a rose wreath that she often wore to games and her cheeks were always painted, one with a white rose, the other with a purple, the two parts of the team logo.

“Just so you know my sister doesn’t date…” Trish began.

“Shut-up,” said Kristina cutting her off, face still alight with the wonder of seeing Denise up close. “Let me have my fantasies,” she said.

Trish held her tongue. It was well-known to insiders that the team never had relations with the booster club. That was bad for business and some of the members could be a little… obsessive.

Yay, updates! I have to say I'm loving the very seasonal introduction of baseball/softball (I'm not totally clear on which one the Roses play, sorry) and the opportunity it presents for Denise to take this cold back to a whole new group of girls. Also totally loving the Helen/Veronica dynamic and am hoping they will continue to show up since they're connected to the Roses.

The visiting fans cheered as Heike took the mound, the Gardeners loudest of all. Poor Denise trotted slowly into the outfield, her head down. She wasn’t feeling good at all. Kristina had noticed that something was bothering Denise. She’s was slow and downcast that evening. Her usual pep was gone and she was playing poorly. Kristina had even noticed her sniffling in the outfield and when she was up to bat.

“Denise is playing like shit tonight,” said Nina, turning towards Kristina. It wasn’t hard for Kristina to put two and two together. Denise had been in their office, the ground zero of this cold. And now she was in the outfield sniffling.

“I think she’s getting sick,” Kristina said, her expression blank. This was no good. If Denise had it then she’d likely spread it to the rest of the team. They sat in the dugout together, rode the bus together, did everything together. Sick Roses would not be able to win too many games.

Heike was ready and the Hearts second basewoman was up to bat. She was a good hitter but Heike made everyone look average. The first pitch was her blazing fastball and it went past the batter without a blink. “Strike one!” the umpire growled. Heike stared in and threw her curveball. The batter saw it twist over over a foot of distance as it came over the plate. She had no chance. “Strike two!” the umpire called. Now she had the batter guessing. Heike finished  her with her amazing change-up. The batter saw the same pitch that Heike had thrown the first time but this one was 25 miles per hour slower. She swung way too early spinning in the dust. “Strike three, out!” and the visiting fans cheered.

“Three pitches, three strikes,” said Nina. “That’s our Heike!”

Next up was the left fielder, one of their best hitters. Heike had to be a little bit more careful with her. She threw a curveball out of the zone but the batter didn’t bite. Next she threw a fastball to the corner, evening the count. Heike tried another fastball out of the zone but she missed her mark and the batter caught up with it. It was a hard shot down the line. The Roses right fielder, Cammy, chased it down and threw it back in but the batter had a double.

“No worries, she’s got this,” said Nina.

With the power hitting first basewoman up to bat Agnes, the Roses manager, opted to walk the batter and set up the double play. Heike threw four pitches out of the zone to the boos of the home crowd and the first basewoman walked to first.

“Double-play, double-play, double-play! Nina and Kristina chanted.

The third basewoman was up now, a dependable hitter as well. Still, Heike wasn’t intimidated by anyone. She worked into a 2-2 count and prepared to strike out the batter but she managed get a pop-up to Cammy. Cammy made the routine play and the runners advanced to 2nd and 3rd.

Edited by James (ellamalaka)

Ooh I love this concept!! I can't wait to see how Denise infects the whole team ^_^