Sneeze Fetish Forum

Movies That Make You Cry

Nicole

Dead Poets Society. Every single time. It's kind of embarrassing, I watched it in my English class last week and I just started bawling... Dumbo is another one, I never let the kids I babysit for watch it because they don't realize I'm crying over how heartbreaking it is in some parts

Heh. When I was going to bed last night, I was flipping through the TV Guide to see what I wanted to fall asleep to and noticed that "Dead Poets Society" was going to be on. I considered watching it (tma knows why! :wub:) before deciding that no, I really DIDN'T want to go to sleep all weepy, because then I'd feel like hell when I woke up. Especially because even though my favorite part isn't sad AT ALL, it's sort of the beginning of the sad part, so it's not even like I can watch that part and then turn it off before I start crying (which is what I do with several movies I really like that make me cry), because I start crying during it because I know what's coming. ^_^

(I have to say, I'm glad I never had to watch DPS in class: I have a feeling three minutes of the movie would've destroyed the hard-ass image I spent three years cultivating!)

And, hmm...it's dawning on me that "Dead Poets Society" has showed up in this thread a LOT of times. I think it would be interesting to see which movie on this thread got mentioned the most times (by individual people, I mean; otherwise, it'll probably be DPS because tma and I haven't shut up about it!) Too bad I (literally) can't count. :/

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Shawshank Redemption gets me every time. And Overboard, with Goldie Hawn. In the end when

He says "What can I possibly give you that you don't already have?" and she replies "A little girl". :D

And Overboard, with Goldie Hawn. In the end when

He says "What can I possibly give you that you don't already have?" and she replies "A little girl". :wub:

Aw, Overboard is a great movie. That part didn't make me cry, but I loved it. B)

Okay, and am I the only person on the planet who didn't like Dead Poets Society? I think it's because I was expecting a more realistic movie, and what I got seemed more like a satire. I have a hard time believing the majority of people in the world could be that closed-minded - yes, even at a parochial school in the 1950's! ;)

Okay, and am I the only person on the planet who didn't like Dead Poets Society? I think it's because I was expecting a more realistic movie, and what I got seemed more like a satire. I have a hard time believing the majority of people in the world could be that closed-minded - yes, even at a parochial school in the 1950's! :wub:

*snorts* Well, I didn't like "Dead Poets Society" but not for that reason (see above, or back a few pages, or something). As for your query, the sad fact is that in the late 1990's, there were aspects of my very-much-NOT prep school that echoed the atmosphere and attitudes portrayed in the movie. Granted, not to the same extent, but then you also have 40-odd years and a completely different setting (my school was a joke, whereas schools like the one in "Dead Poets Society" do, I believe, still exist, especially up in New England) to help account for that. I can tell you that I went to school with several people whose parents controlled every aspect of their lives, up to and including what their eventual career would be, and I can also tell you that two official policies in my high school were "Learning is not to be done except under the guidance of a teacher" and "Staff members are always correct when in conflict of a student, by dint of them being staff members." (This latter policy applied to both factual information--a teacher could not be wrong, even if xe said 2+2=5--and interpersonal conflicts: I was once informed that I must have made a self-hating antisemitic statement to my best friend, because the racist janitor had said so.) Add to that the unofficial policy that death did not exist (seriously, we were not permitted to go to a teacher's funeral on the grounds that it was better for us to ignore her death), and I can definitely see how a variation, at least, on "Dead Poets Society" could have occured in my school. So, when I think about what I know (both from reading and from listening to my dad talk about it) about the restrictive nature of the 1950s, especially as it pertained to shaping the minds of young people, I--sadly, tragically--have no problem believing that the events in "Dead Poets Society" could have happened exactly the way they were layed out. B)

(Hmm. I've just been reminded why I hate that movie so much. Hey, tma, did Robert Sean Leonard ever appear in anything happy?! I need some cheering up. ;))

• 1 month later...
Dominick & Eugene by T. Young (1988)

Simply B E A U T I F U L :2guns:

I love Dominick & Eugene. I don't think I ever cried at it, but it definitely made me emotional.

I'm a total sap though...

Forrest Gump

The Notebook

An Officer and a Gentleman

UP

Monsters, Inc...Yes, I said Monsters, Inc...the part when the monster realizes he can never see the girl again...damn I get teary thinking of it!!!

On a side note, parades make me cry...it's the bagpipes...sniff...

Dominick & Eugene by T. Young (1988)

Simply B E A U T I F U L B)

I love Dominick & Eugene. I don't think I ever cried at it, but it definitely made me emotional.

I cried towards the end, when Gino reveals the truth to Nicky, such an emotional scene..!

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this movie! :nohappy:

No one seems to know it..not a famous movie but really worth watching it.

You know that video of the lion reuiniting with the guys who owned him years back?

? Yeah, I know it's not a movie, but that doesn't mean I don't cry like a baby EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I watch it. :nohappy:
Monsters, Inc...Yes, I said Monsters, Inc...the part when the monster realizes he can never see the girl again...damn I get teary thinking of it!!!

I know that moment. And the opposite moment when he does see her again!

As for me, I'll admit that "It's a Wonderful Life" has done it for me more than once.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this movie! :rolleyes:

I agree. The only reason I knew about it was because I heard about it when I was really into the TV show of M*A*S*H. I was (and am) really enamored of Mike Farrell, who produced it, and when I found out he'd also produced Patch Adams (which I love, and which--come to think of it--I also cry at), I taped it the next time I saw it on. (It also didn't hurt that it starred Ray Liotta, who I've always found really hot.)

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has seen this movie! :nohappy:

I agree. The only reason I knew about it was because I heard about it when I was really into the TV show of M*A*S*H. I was (and am) really enamored of Mike Farrell, who produced it, and when I found out he'd also produced Patch Adams (which I love, and which--come to think of it--I also cry at), I taped it the next time I saw it on. (It also didn't hurt that it starred Ray Liotta, who I've always found really hot.)

I found out about the movie watching Amadeus (1984) and was fascinated with Tom Hulce's interpretation so I looked out for other movies he did and found Dominick & Eugene (who also had Ray Liotta in it and it did not hurt either for me!).

I, too, cried at "Return of the King" at the end.

The movie I've sobbed the most at was probably "Life as a House", at the end as well.

Other movies that made me cry?

"Up", "Million Dollar Baby", "Toy Story 3", "Marley and Me", "

I've also cried many a time during LOST (mostly when people died, specifically

Sun and Jin, and Charlie

) and during True Blood (

when Sookie's grandma died

)

Toy Story III. >_<

Hysterically.

And this is why I didn't see it. Seriously. I don't like crying in front of people, and I heard from everyone I was going to sob. So I decided to wait for it to be on cable.

Everything makes me cry...

Me as well. The worst has to be Shadowlands. I start about half way through and don't stop until the end. pig could probably confirm this, though she was very polite and pretended not to notice!

I'm not sure

"Black Beauty"... although I guess that one is made to make people cry. :D

"Poltergeist II: The other side"; gets me all the time.

"Dirty Dancing"... 'nuff said.

"Mask", the one with Cher. :D

And also, I don't know if I'm the only one that sensitive, but I cry a river when I watch "The Queen". I have no idea why, I guess it's Helen Mirren's acting. How she's able to play someone who seems to have no human emotions, and yet hint emotions all the time. Amazing.

Toy Story III. >_<

Hysterically.

Damn, and you're like 6 years younger than I am. I guess it doesn't just mean a lot to the people who were born and at least 7 years old when the original came out :rolleyes:

Actually I watched Toy Story 3 the other night, for like the 14th or 15th time and I still cried. My pillow was like soaked from where the tears were running down my cheeks. Ok not really soaked but there WERE wet spots :laugh::zippy:

I very nearly cried during a certain scene in Summer Wars, but it wasn't anything tragic. In fact, just the opposite. People who have actually seen that movie may or may not know what I'm talking about.

I very nearly cried during a certain scene in Summer Wars, but it wasn't anything tragic. In fact, just the opposite.

I get this. I mentioned that I cried at "Dead Poets Society" but I don't think I mentioned that I didn't only cry at sad parts: I also cried at two triumphant moments (when

Neil appeared onstage as Puck

and

the last scene, w/ "O Captain, my captain!"

), though I'm not sure if anyone else would be able to tell, since they kind of bracketed a lot of the sad stuff. And I cry a lot when characters in movies get back together, rather than when they split up. I'm like that when I read, too: I cry at happy things (especially when they follow sadness or tragedy) more than sad ones.

(As an addendum to this reply, I think it's worth saying that I just watched most of the end of "Dead Poets Society"--starting just after the first scene I normally cry at--without so much as getting choked up at any of the sad parts, because I was essentially "studying" the scenes for a fix-it fic I'm working on. However, I STILL sobbed hysterically at

the last scene

, just for the sheer triumph of the thing. So yeah, I definitely do cry at the "good" parts of DPS, not just the "bad" ones...though, for the record, I probably would've cried at some of the school stuff just out of pure anger at/hatred for the administration, but I missed that part while setting up my computer to write. :P )

Merged as requested.

• 5 weeks later...
sillystarsmoons

The end of The Notebook and The Lord of The Rings -The Return of the King and the Titanic. There the only two movies I can think of. I know there are more that make me cry but I can't remember them right now.

Elizabethtown - my cousin saw fit to rent it like, two weeks after my father died.

Up - I started crying when they found out that they couldn't have a baby and just didn't stop.

Wilde - God... the whole movie was just so tragic, and the fact that it was real... just... God!

I know there are several more, but I can't remember them right off the top of my head.

Oh God..

The Elephant Man- I go hysterical. Poor John Merick

The Fox and the Hound- Saddest movie in. the. world.

Secret Life of Bees- When miss May dies!

Braveheart- I lose it whenever i hear the bagpipes playing

The Lion King- Mufasa. Enough said.

I Am Sam- You cant help but feel sorry for him.

Finding Nemo- Mostly happy tears.

Cast Away. Mr Wilson!

Toy Story 3- The ending!!

Dumbo- That scene where his mothers in the cage.

My Dog Skip- I BAWLED.

The Rugrats Movie- That horrible moment where you think Spike is dead.

ANY movie where an animal is the main character, especially horses & dogs (eg: Lassie, The Silver Brumby etc) Whether sad or happy moments- i blubber.

Oh there are so much more that i can't think of.

Im the biggest baby

• 2 weeks later...

Horse whisperer... I started crying from the accident until the movie was over. It was rather embarrassing in the cinema, really. :D

Archived