Various Hetalia shorts (M)

Hachimitsu Tea

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Title: Deep Down

Pairing: DenmarkxNorway

Word count: 2,578

Denmark sucked at hiding things from Norway. Norway wasn’t sure whether to ascribe this to the fact that Denmark was a half-wit or if he himself was just that perceptive. He suspected it was a mixture of both. In any case, Norway noticed that something wasn’t quite right the moment he saw Denmark give him a sleepy half-smile when he entered their shared homeroom that morning. Denmark normally went to bed at a decent hour and slept like a rock until morning, which allowed him to be annoyingly energetic even first thing in the morning. For some reason, though, Norway was surprised to find that the absence of Denmark’s usual overflowing energy irritated him even more than its presence, something which he hadn’t imagined possible.

“What’s your problem?” Norway asked peevishly, choosing a seat a few away from Denmark so that the other boy wouldn’t think he liked him that much. The fact that Norway secretly liked him a lot more than he could forgive himself for was irrelevant, and he could foresee only trouble from letting Denmark in on this fact.

Denmark cleared his throat before speaking. In fact, he cleared it several times as he pulled out each chair between himself and Norway in succession, scooting along from seat to seat rather than just standing up and walking the two feet or so that separated them. Norway’s frown deepened as he watched Denmark’s slow progress.

“Mornin’ t’ you too, best buddy,” Denmark rasped, flashing him that tired smile again.

Norway’s whole body stiffened as Denmark wrapped his arms around him and nuzzled into him. An embarrassing number of flustered thoughts flashed through Norway’s head at that moment, all of which he planned on thoroughly denying later. He’s hugging me. I hate how good it feels. What if someone sees? What if they figure out—what if they get the messed up idea that I have feelings for him? What if he gets that idea? He’d probably laugh, stupid Brother. I’d never hear the end of it, either. Wow, he’s warm, though. And his hair smells good… for a complete loser. I don’t like it when other people touch me, but… this actually isn’t completely… Stupid, stupid! This is stupid! What’s wrong with me?! …Wait, he’s shaking… That’s not normal…

“Seriously, what’s wrong with you?” Norway asked after a pause that was far too long. His voice was gentler than it had been the first time, but Norway scarcely noticed in the midst of his concern.

Denmark cleared his throat again. “It’s cold in here, don’tcha think? Mm… you’re nice ‘n’ warm, though…”

“If anything, it’s almost too hot in here,” Norway groused. “This better not be you leading up to tellin’ me you didn’t get your part of our presentation finished last night.”

Somehow Norway had gotten stuck with this big, dumb oaf as a partner for his history project. The two of them were due to present to the class today, and if he found out that Denmark had slacked on his duties, heads would roll.

“No… I finished,” Denmark assured him with a yawn. He held Norway even closer, snuggling him unabashedly. Norway’s face reddened at this unfamiliar intimacy, especially since it was taking place in public. Thankfully his classmates seemed distracted either by drowsiness, their own conversations, or scrambling to finish last minute homework and hadn’t noticed. Denmark sniffled wetly.

“L-let go, annoying Brother,” Norway demanded.

Denmark didn’t reply; he only gave another wet sniffle and continued to shiver. Surely… Denmark wasn’t crying… right? “Nghh… huh…Hdghhhh… EHTCHNK!! HETCHNXnnnn…!! Ow… that hur-huh—ATCH--!! …Uhhhh…”

The older boy nearly startled the entire class out of its skin with his sudden half-stifled yet still explosive sneezes. Norway was suddenly aware that all eyes were on them. Though he tried to ward it off, he could feel his face going brilliantly red under the stares of his classmates. Before he could properly consider the best way to deal with this situation, Norway found himself shoving Denmark away forcefully.

“Disgusting,” Norway spat. “Are you so rock stupid that you don’t even know better than t’ sneeze on people?”

“S-sorry,” Denmark stammered, looking stunned and a bit hurt as he rubbed his ribs where Norway had dug his elbow in. “I tried t’ hold ‘eb back but they were—APPPKK!! HUEDKCHT!! …chuhhhhh… t-too stro’g…HuhhhhhKSHEH!! ADCHOO!!”

Denmark turned away from Norway just in time to catch his final two full-out sneezes in his cupped hands. Norway recoiled in distaste and embarrassment. Everyone was still staring and he hated it. He needed to get himself out of this situation now, and as far as his highly stressed mind could figure, there was only one way to do so. Norway stood up abruptly, snatched up his books and stalked quickly out of the classroom.

“D-Dor, wait!” He heard Denmark call. This launched Denmark into a fit of coughing and another atomic “HADKSHUH!! ATKSHOO!! HEGSHHHHHuhhh!!” but Norway ignored this, his face still burning as he sought solitude in the boys’ bathroom.

Norway spent his lunch period in the library so that he wouldn’t accidentally run into Denmark in the lunch room and the two of them didn’t meet again until their joint history class. Norway chose a seat on the opposite side of the room as his presentation partner, ensuring that the seats around him were occupied so that Denmark couldn’t join him, and refused to so much glance in his direction as the teacher called the first presentation group up to the front of the class.

Once Norway had gotten away from the acutely embarrassing situation in homeroom where everyone had stared at Denmark wrapping himself around him, he had truthfully begun to feel bad about the way he’d handled that situation. He knew that Denmark hadn’t meant to embarrass him; he’d only tried to seek comfort from the symptoms of his obvious illness from his friend. And instead of offering that comfort the way Denmark always did for him when Norway needed it, he’d shoved him away and shouted at him in front of everyone. Regardless of whether he liked Denmark or not, Norway knew he’d been cruel and unfair, and that he owed his classmate an apology.

Still, this would require Norway to swallow so much of his pride that he couldn’t bear to meet Denmark’s eye when he tried to give him a cautious, apologetic smile from across the room. He continued to avoid Denmark’s gaze, even when the teacher finally called the two of them up to the front to have their turn.

Norway kept his eyes fixed stubbornly above the audience’s heads as he spoke, but Denmark’s constant shivering and sniffling, and the flush that had developed in his cheeks since that morning didn’t escape Norway’s notice for a second. Poor Denmark was getting sicker. In spite of this, though, Denmark did his best to smile and project his voice when his turn came to speak.

The moment the two of them were allowed to return to their seats, Norway tugged discreetly at Denmark’s sleeve and nodded towards the doorway without looking at him. Norway could see the other boy’s expression out of the corner of his eye as it morphed from puzzled, to understanding, to curious. The two of them slipped out of class together as the next group took their places at the front of the room.

Denmark sniffled and rubbed his nose, leaning tiredly against the lockers once they were out in the hallway. Norway swallowed thickly, the knowledge that he owed Denmark at least a little openness and honesty making his throat feel tight. He fidgeted uncomfortably under Denmark’s curious but patient watch.

Norway had just worked up the nerve to look at Denmark at last when the taller boy’s eyes scrunched shut and he twitched his nose. Apparently this didn’t successfully eliminate the tickle because Denmark began rubbing his reddening nose vigorously as his other hand darted into his pocket, most likely in search of tissues. Denmark let out a little whine as his breath hitched desperately, his hand immerging from his pocket with nothing but the empty plastic wrapper of a packet of tissues. In an attempt to aid his ailing friend, Norway reached into his own pocket for the tissues he’d retrieved from his backpack earlier in case the opportunity to offer them to Denmark arose. Denmark seemed to be attempting to hold back his sneeze until he had a tissue.

“I guh-gotta… huh, huhhh—gotta sdeeze! Hdghhhuhhh…!”

Norway thrust a tissue into Denmark’s hand, and the older boy immediately turned his back to Norway and began pitching violently into it.

“HUHDUSHHHHUH!! HAAROOSHUH!! HENTCHOO!! APSHEH!! HUHRUPSHUHoooh!! Ugh…”

Norway could tell that Denmark was trying to muffle the sound the best he could, but it made little difference. His sneezes were simply too loud to be contained. He offered his friend another tissue, guessing the one he had was already soaked beyond use. Denmark snatched it gratefully and buried his face in it.

“Huh-- *sniffle* HEHEGSHOO!! APCHEH!! …Phew….”

The taller boy swayed dizzily, prompting Norway to reach out uncertainly to help steady him. Denmark accepted the help thankfully, giving his nose a wet, forceful honk into the second mangled tissue. Norway passed him the rest of the packet and allowed him to clean himself up.

Once Denmark was finished, Norway tugged shyly on the hem of Denmark’s shirt, inviting him close. Denmark looked at him in surprise, and Norway could tell with another zing of guilt that Denmark was wondering whether he’d be held or smacked.

“C’mere, idiot,” Norway mumbled, blushing as he tugged at Denmark more insistently. “I won’t do anything bad.”

Denmark blinked his red-rimmed, shadow-ringed eyes in surprise as he let Norway pull him into an awkward, stiff embrace. After a moment had passed and Denmark seemed satisfied that he wasn’t about to be shouted at, he relaxed and returned Norway’s hug. Norway felt concern rising in his chest when Denmark rested his head on his shoulder and he observed that Denmark’s shivering hadn’t subsided.

“Y’ got a fever,” Norway commented softly.

“Wo’dered if I bight,” Denmark admitted tiredly.

His eyelashes tickled the side of Norway’s neck as his eyes fluttered closed, sending a little shiver down Norway’s spine. Norway turned his head shyly, nuzzling his face into Denmark’s artfully messy golden hair, allowing his lips to graze his scalp just lightly enough to almost make it seem accidental. Denmark’s nose quivered suddenly, and his body gave three violent shudders. Norway didn’t realize that these had been suppressed sneezes until Denmark let out his breath in a weary huff and sniffled wetly.

“Ugh… Ow… S-sorry Dor,” he croaked. “I tried t’ to keep from sdeezi’g just dow but…”

“Obviously,” Norway said gently. “That’s what happens when you’ve got a cold, moron… C’mon, you should lie down.”

Denmark allowed Norway to lead him to the nurse’s office. The nurse was out at the moment, so Norway guided his friend to one of the two empty beds and drew the curtains to give them privacy in case anyone else stopped by. Denmark blew his nose again loudly as he plunked down on the edge of the bed and toed off his shoes. Norway took a seat beside him in nervous silence. He didn’t protest when Denmark sought warmth and comfort in his arms again.

“I did something bad,” Norway began in a voice that was barely even a whisper. “Yelling at you this mornin’, I mean.”

He knew he should just say that he was sorry, but those words wouldn’t come out; his pride wouldn’t let them. Norway’s brow crinkled in frustration with himself. Thankfully, Denmark seemed to understand.

“’B sorry too,” he said thickly. “Did’t bead to ebbarrass ya like that… ‘S just… y’re so dice ‘d warb, ‘d I like ya so buch that huggid’ ya always bakes be feel good… ‘d thed those dard sdeezes sduck up od be, ‘d they’re so stro’g it’s albost ibpossible t’ hold ‘eb back…”

“I know…” Norway assured him.

He opened his mouth to say more, to assure Denmark that he didn’t mind him half as much as he pretended to, to admit that maybe he even kind of liked him (but only a little!), to let him know that he could think of not one, but several things more annoying and crappy than the thought of putting the shivering, feverish Dane to bed with some tea, medicine and extra blankets, then staying at his side to hum him a lullaby until Denmark managed to fall asleep. But as always when he tried to express his feelings honestly, the words caught in his throat and refused to come out. Why was this so difficult for him?! Stupid Denmark never seemed to have any problem being embarrassingly open with his emotions, and he was an idiot! It wasn’t fair!

Norway was brought out of his bitter musing when Denmark yawned quietly against his bare throat.

“…Tired?” Norway asked breathlessly.

“Mb,” Denmark hummed. “I wadda take a dap with by adorable bestest buddy id the whole world.”

Norway swallowed nervously, then pressed his lips lingeringly against Denmark’s scalp. His cheeks flushed brilliantly at his own daring, but he forced himself to maintain contact.

“D-Dor…” Denmark said hoarsely, and there was no mistaking the shock and joyful disbelief in his voice. “…D-did you… Are you…?!”

Norway drew away slowly, his heart throbbing like crazy. If Denmark thought he was surprised, it was nothing to how Norway felt. He couldn’t believe he’d just done that, and yet… no, he didn’t regret it.

“Heh…HWEKSHEH!!” Denmark sneezed explosively, nearly giving Norway a heart attack. “HERRESHUH!! HERROOPSHHHH!! …UHCHEH!! EKSHEH!! UKSHOO!! …Wow…*sniffle* Phew…”

“…You done?” Norway asked sullenly.

“Yeah…” Denmark gave a congested sniffle and rubbed his nose. “I thigk so…”

He gave Norway a goofy, sleepy smile. “Tur’s out a kiss frob a cute little cuddle buddy dabed Dor really puts a tickle id your dose.”

Norway rolled his eyes. “You must already be half asleep; you’re spewing nonsense.”

The shorter boy kicked off his shoes and swung his legs into the bed, sitting with his back against the headboard, and put the pillow in his lap. Once he was comfortably positioned, he patted the pillow shyly. Denmark crawled into bed with him and laid his head in Norway’s lap. He yawned again and let his eyes slip closed.

Norway took a tissue from the box on the bedside table and wiped the sweat from Denmark’s feverish forehead. After tossing the used tissues into the trash, Norway contemplated Denmark’s drowsy face, running his fingertips lightly over the furrow of discomfort in his forehead. He wished there was something he could do to help ease Denmark’s suffering. He slipped his hands into Denmark’s feathery golden hair and began to massage his scalp gently. Denmark hummed with pleasure, a tiny smile perking up his lips.

“…Ndd… that’s dice…”

Norway’s heart throbbed as he continued to massage. After a moment, Denmark’s hazy blue eyes eased open slightly.

“I love you,” he murmured softly.

The Norwegian’s face heated up brilliantly, a startling yet pleasant warmth flooding his whole body. He felt an unfamiliar slight tugging sensation at the corners of his mouth, but Norway took little notice of it. Instead he bent forward and touched his lips tenderly to Denmark’s forehead.

“Try to get some sleep,” Norway breathed.

Denmark sighed happily in spite of his illness and did just that.

I don't want to seem rude for requesting this, but... er...

Could you possibly do another Fetish!England and Allergic!America, and as another post said, have them harboring secret crushes? And maybe if they were in a meeting, and America is trying not to sneeze, and England is watching him... or.... Anything else! UsUk is my favorite pairing, and you write them so perfectly. Anything you'd write would be great. This would be really amazing if you could do this... Thank you!

Hey there! Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the prompt, I'll see what I can come up with ;)

Oh, wow. Thank you so much! :D I... I don't even know what to say... Just... Thank you!velho.gif

Oh my... what did I just put? Heehee... I misclicked on the smilies and now I can't delete it... *blush*

So cuteeeeee! Oh my goodness, I absolutely love the way you write DenNor!! You write Norway beautifully. I hope that someday I can get comfortable writing with him too because he's such an interesting character! The one line that definitely got me was "I did something bad" as his form of apology. =////= Wonderful, as always, and it definitely brought a huge smile to my face during my break at work!

• 3 weeks later...

I don't want to seem rude for requesting this, but... er...

Could you possibly do another Fetish!England and Allergic!America, and as another post said, have them harboring secret crushes? And maybe if they were in a meeting, and America is trying not to sneeze, and England is watching him... or.... Anything else! UsUk is my favorite pairing, and you write them so perfectly. Anything you'd write would be great. This would be really amazing if you could do this... Thank you!

Hmm...this turned out a little differently from the scenario you requested... Sorry! It took on a life of its own! But I still checked off the fetish!England, Allergic!America and secret crushes boxes, so I hope you'll enjoy it anyway ;w; I think this probably needs a sensuality warning, but I tried not to make it too explicit!

Title: Getting to Know You

Pairing: USUK

Word count: 2,506

When England first glimpsed America’s face out of the corner of his eye amongst the crowd, he thought it had been his eyes playing tricks on him. There was simply no way that America would go to the trouble of dragging himself all the way to the outskirts of London to attend a garden show of all things. It simply wasn’t the sort of activity that America would find any enjoyment in.

He could just imagine the younger man having a good laugh at him when he found out that England was involved in such an event, and the thought brought a slight furrow to his brow. Not that he was disappointed or anything! It was just… well, who the hell was America to judge what he did with his free time anyway? England knew that America attended comic book conventions on occasion. If anything, England should be the one laughing. In fact, he would right now, just to put America in his place. England let out a half-hearted scoff, causing an old woman nearby to give him a funny look.

“Yo, England!” a loud, familiar, distinctly American voice shouted.

England jumped violently at the unexpected shout and looked around, his heart thumping wildly. It was that shining golden hair that caught his eye first, and the flash of sun reflecting in a pair of glasses. England felt an intensifying heat creeping into his cheeks as he realized that the man approaching him with that brilliant smile really was America. England swallowed hard as America waded through the throng of spectators to get closer to him.

“Hey!” America boomed, clapping England on the shoulder. “I heard through the grapevine that you’d be here!”

“What’re you doing here, you tosser?” England groused, ignoring the funny little squirm America’s touch had produced in his stomach. It was probably just a touch of indigestion anyway.

America shrugged easily, his eyes flitting around the various flower displays. “I know how you love your garden shows, so I thought I’d come see what all the fuss was about.”

There was that funny little squirm in his stomach again (perhaps he ought to step out and see about getting some medication before it got out of hand). England was hesitant to jump to conclusions, but it sounded like America was expressing an interest in England’s hobbies for the sole reason that he knew England was passionate about it. There had to be some cynical angle to this, but England couldn’t figure out what it was yet.

“So…” America began again, kicking idly at the grass (was that a hint of self-consciousness England detected in his voice?), “wanna show me around? I bet you’re dying to show off how much you know about posies or whatever.”

England swallowed thickly. He needed to know what America’s twisted angle was right away before his heart ran off with the wrong idea. Not that his heart was invested or anything, it was just… well, maybe part of him wanted to believe that his old charge was making a point to learn more about him. After all, America was always bragging about how awesome he was and what an old fogy England was; it would be quite rewarding to be able to mock America for suddenly finding him fascinating.

“Actually, a posy refers to a bouquet of flowers rather than a particular breed,” England corrected him in a mumble. His ears felt hot; was he getting sunburned already?

“See? I had no idea,” America said a tad sheepishly. “Guess you’ve got a lot to teach me, huh?”

“I’ve always had a lot to teach you,” England said with a slight frown. “It’s just odd to hear you finally admitting it. What’re you up to?”

“What, you think I’ve got some evil plan up my sleeve?” America asked, dramatically putting a hand to his chest, pretending to be wounded by the very suggestion. “C’mon England, you know I’m a hero, not a villain! I’m not plotting anything! I swear!”

England hesitated, still not sure whether he could trust him. America’s words seemed earnest enough, but they just seemed too good to be true. Or they would if England really cared what America thought of him and his hobbies, which he didn’t.

“It’s just… I dunno, it’s been a long time since we hung out outside of work,” America pointed out, his eyes fixed determinedly on a gorgeous display of hydrangeas nearby. England thought the boy’s cheeks looked a bit pink, but it could’ve just been the heat. “Thought it might not be such a bad idea to see you doing something you think is fun. I can hardly remember the last time I saw you look honestly happy…”

England went red. It wasn’t his fault! What other choice did he have when America was being so honestly sappy?! He’d always found such displays embarrassing… and yet he noticed that the disgust he felt was much less than he’d expected. How curious.

“W-well fine, then,” England blustered, turning his back on America. “But only because it would be ungentlemanly of me to ignore a guest who came such a long way. Try to keep up, now! I won’t go searching for you if you trail behind and get yourself lost!”

“Roger!” America chirped, falling easily in step with his slightly shorter companion.

“To your left, you’ll see the tropical flower Mirabilis jalapa, more commonly known as four o’clocks, or marvel of Peru,” England explained. “As the name suggests, they are native to South America, specifically the Peruvian Andes, but have spread throughout many areas of the world that share a similar climate. I’m particularly fond of these because of the wide array of colors of blooms that can be found even on the same plant, and because of their sweet fragrance. Go on, have a sniff.”

The two of them leaned into the brilliantly colored flowers and inhaled. England let out a little sigh of contentment as he straightened up, but America wrinkled his nose.

“What’s your problem?” England huffed irritably. “Don’t tell me the scent is too refined for your uncultured American nostrils.”

“No, they smell awesome,” America assured him, though he was rubbing his nose vigorously. “It’s just that… I thuh-think I got a little too—too—Uhh… Uhtchihoo! …Upshihoo!”

America sneezed wetly, pitching into the flowers. England swallowed nervously again as heat rose into his cheeks. He couldn’t blame this heat on the sun this time; there was no doubt what was really causing it.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it’s America! He insisted to himself. I just like sneezes in general. There’s nothing special about this prat’s!

“Uggshihoo! …Apchihoo! Ngh… Huhhhh—Huhdshoo! Huhidshihoo!”

It was no good, even England couldn’t lie to himself; the way America sneezed unabashedly into the flowers, the way that, in spite of the volume of his voice, his releases were less loud than expected and yet so powerful that they doubled the muscular man over, the odd but somehow adorable intonation they had, voiced, breathy, and then slight rising and falling intonation on the final voiced syllable… it was all wildly and unfairly attractive. England folded his arms over his chest and tried to force himself to stare at the ground even as his eyes darted traitorously up to fix on America’s desperate face.

“Uhkishhihoo! …Apkishhihiew!”

America’s breath was already hitching again, preparing for the next sneeze, when it occurred to England that he wasn’t the only one staring. Many people around them were clicking their tongues disapprovingly or giving them annoyed glances. Anxiety rose up inside of England’s chest. What if all these watching people noticed how America’s sneezes were affecting him? Yet England wasn’t ready for them to stop…

He scanned the area desperately for a more private place that they could escape to. His searching gaze fell on a deserted clump of towering bushes not too far away.

“Huhagshihoo! …Uhkesssshihooey!”

America’s twitching nose was starting to run as England clutched his companion’s sizeable bicep and tugged him towards the bushes.

“Come on,” he muttered. “Let’s get away from the irritant so you can collect yourself. There’s a good lad.”

“Uppishhhihoo!” America sneezed openly, his glasses sliding down his nose as he allowed himself to be steered away. “Huhpitccchihoo!”

“Better now?” England asked breathlessly as America gave his nose a trumpeting blow into the handkerchief England had lent him.

“Mm…” America hummed, giving a small sniffle and twitching his nose exaggeratedly. “I guess so, but… my nose still tickles… It kinda feels like I still gotta sneeze, but they won’t come out.”

England glanced timidly in America’s direction as the young man scrubbed under his nose with one finger while his other hand rubbed across his watery eyes. The phrase America had just uttered sounded so startlingly like an inducing daydream England had once had featuring the two of them (he’d been drunk, ok?!) that it made him do a double take.

“Uh oh,” America announced as his reddening eyes fluttered shut and his head tilted back. “Uhh, huhhhhhh…. Huhh, huhhhhhhh…!...Ugh… no good… Crap, I hate being stuck.”

America sniffled and rubbed at his itchy nose with the handkerchief. England’s heart rose when America’s breath began hitching again, but it didn’t end up coming to anything.

“Dammit…” America grumbled. “Why won’t it just come ouh—ouuuuuu—Uhhhhht--! …Fuck! I was s-suh… *sniffle* so close that time!”

England couldn’t take this anymore; his pants had been feeling tight for the past few minutes, and these stuck sneezes were frustrating him just as much, if not more, than they were frustrating America. Maybe it was time he took matters into his own hands.

England swallowed hard as he positioned himself behind America as the younger man’s head fell back yet again with fruitless buildup. He couldn’t believe he was honestly about to do this, but he needed some resolution here, and by the looks of things, so did America. England’s cheeks burned as America’s extra height forced him to press himself right up against America’s back in order to reach over his shoulder and touch his nose. There was no way that America could miss his little “problem” in this position…

America let out a sharp gasp as England pressed a single finger to the tip of America’s nose and began rubbing in gentle circles.

“Akchihoo!” America sneezed instantly. “Ketchihoo! …Hutchihyoo! Hapshihyoo!... Uh-huhh--! Hetchihoo! Hekshihoo! Aakshyoo! Aakshyoo!”

Each of America’s releases sent them both pitching forward, creating the perfect amount of friction between them, and oh god, America’s sneezes were growing more rapid as England continued to stimulate his tickly nose…

“Hatsyoo! Hutchih-huhtchihoo! Ekshih-ekshihoo! Aatshih—aatshihoo! Heh…! Ehhhhh…! HuhATCHHHHHHoooooh….!! …Phew…”

Both of them were breathing hard now and feeling rather satisfied, albeit for different reasons. England was so glad that no one was around; this was embarrassing enough as it was. He prayed silently, his brilliantly blushing face hidden in the crook of America’s neck, that America wouldn’t comment on how worked up that sneezing fit had gotten him, but he seriously doubted that it could be avoided. It didn’t occur to him that he was panting against America’s neck until he heard the younger man giving his nose a loud honk into the handkerchief again. England knew that he should stop immediately, but his knees were feeling rather weak at the moment. He continued to hide his face against America’s neck and kept up his inner mantra of prayers that at least the mocking would be brief.

It was a surprisingly long time before anything happened, but when something finally did, it wasn’t what England expected. Rather than America giving him a good dig in the ribs with his elbow to separate them, America turned his head, nuzzling his pink, irritated-looking nose shyly into England’s hair. A shiver passed through the Brit as he felt America’s lips brush his scalp.

“I’m learning even more about you today than I expected to,” America breathed. “Turns out you’re full of surprises.”

“Y-yes, I know…” England croaked, humiliated. “Go on then; tease me mercilessly about being a pervert or the erotic ambassador or whatever and get it over with.”

America was silent for a beat as England’s heart pounded so hard against his ribs that it almost made him feel nauseous.

“Actually, um…” America began at last, “I wasn’t really… Uh… I-I was thinking less mocking, and more… well… k… kissing…?”

England couldn’t believe his ears. He lifted his head slightly from America’s shoulder. “You…can’t… be serious…”

“Y-yeah, you’re right,” America stammered quickly with an uncomfortable laugh. “What was I thinking? Too soon after I had snot running down my face. Totally gross! You probably don’t even think of me like that, do you? N-not that I think of you like that or anything! Ha ha ha ha! I was just--!”

“I do,” England interrupted.

“Wh…what?” America squeaked.

“I said… I do think of you like that, alright?!” England repeated sharply, his acute embarrassment coming out as irritation. “You got a problem with that?!”

A grin was growing on America’s face, wider and wider until England was certain it must be hurting his cheeks, or at least he would have been certain if he’d had the presence of mind to think anything beyond how beautiful a smile it was. Even though England watched America’s eyes slip closed and his face draw closer and closer to his own, he was still stunned when America’s lips pressed softly against his own.

“You know what, England?” America murmured against his lips in between kisses. “You’re seriously freakin’ adorable. I’ve kinda had a thing for you pretty much forever.”

“I’m sorry I can’t say I’ve been attracted to you quite as long, seeing as how you were only a child when we first met,” England admitted softly. “But even so, this has been a long time coming.”

“Oh good,” America laughed. “For a minute there I was worried you only liked me because I have such a sexy sneeze!”

England blanched as America kissed him again. “I-I swear, if you ever mention that to anyone…”

“Don’t worry,” America said with a goofy grin. “Your secret’s safe with me, babe. Actually, I think it’s kinda cute!”

“Belt up and take me back to your hotel room,” England demanded, still blushing hotly.

“As you wish,” America hummed, nuzzling his nose against England’s affectionately. Then he suddenly jerked away. “Wait… uh oh…!”

England frowned, puzzled, as America’s body tensed up beneath him. “Ehtchihoo… Hehyepshuhoo…!”

The sneezes were genuine, but the way America put one hand behind his head and one hand on his hip and tossed his hair as he released them more quietly than usual made it clear that he was trying to make them a playful parody of sexiness. His eyes fluttered open and he gave England a sheepish grin.

“How was that?”

“Shut up,” England said, turning his back on America so that the younger man wouldn’t see him blushing and leading the way towards the car.

That was so perfect! I... I don't think that I could ever thank you properly for this... this was so freaking adorable and England... just... D'awwwwww! You even added a confession, and- and that last bit... you had me literally laughong out loud at that. Thank you thank you thank you! *gives a million lollipops to you*

OH MY FRIGGIN GOD HOW HAVE I NEVER DISCOVERED THESE BEFORE THESE DRABBLES ARE THE MOST AMAZING-EST THINGS EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ILOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEITILOVEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Title: Breaking Barriers

Pairing: SwedenxFinland

Word count: 1,543

It was pitch black when Sweden was stirred from his sleep. Sweden blinked dazedly against the oppressive darkness surrounding him, disoriented. He didn’t know what time it was, but clearly it was very late. Why was he awake?

Sweden scrubbed his hand through his choppy blond hair wearily, wondering if he should take the opportunity to use the bathroom now that he was already awake or simply go try to go right back to sleep. That’s when there was another bout of fitful stirring beside him in bed, making him realize that that must have been what had awoken him. He turned his head toward the source of the disturbance even though it was too dark for him to actually see, and he would have needed his glasses even if there had been enough light.

Sweden wouldn’t classify Finland as a restless sleeper per se, but he certainly did more nocturnal maneuvering than Sweden himself did. Every once in a while, Finland would accidentally thump him in the back, or knock knees with him, or unintentionally steal all the covers in his sleep.

Sweden had grown more used to it now that the two of them had been sharing a bed for nearly a year now, and though Finland’s movements did occasionally wake him, Sweden wasn’t usually that bothered by it. As much as it saddened him to admit, Finland still didn’t seem very at ease around him even though it had been months since the two of them had run away from Denmark’s place together. Some days, the only physical contact between them was when Finland unconsciously rolled into him in bed. Though Sweden longed to instigate more touching between them when they were both awake, his crippling shyness simply wouldn’t allow it most days, so he would take what he could get even if it was unintentional.

Tonight seemed different than usual, though; Finland seemed more restless than ever, and though Sweden was pretty sure Finland was still asleep, he was moaning and uttering half-formed words. Frowning concernedly in the darkness, Sweden turned on his side, facing Finland, wondering what to do. He was pretty sure that Finland was having a nightmare. Should he snap Finland out of it, or would that somehow strain their already tentative relationship even more? His hand hovered uncertainly over Finland’s shoulder, longing to settle on him comfortingly, but not daring.

Sweden was still trying to make up his mind when suddenly Finland rolled over and fit himself up against his bedmate. The taller man froze, heat rising steadily in his face as the intimacy of their current position sank in. Finland meanwhile, still asleep and oblivious to the world, tucked his head under Sweden’s chin, settling in against him even more fully. It was then that Sweden noticed through his haze of embarrassment and joy that Finland’s flaxen hair was damp with sweat, and his frame, though wrapped in blankets, shivered ceaselessly.

Sweden swallowed thickly and touched his knuckles gently to Finland’s round, velvety cheek.

“Oh, Fin…” Sweden murmured concernedly when he felt the burn of Finland’s fever against his fingers.

“Mmgh…” Finland groaned. His breath hitched softly and he buried his face in the stolen blankets. “Hupchoo…Eptchoo…”

Suddenly the embarrassment Sweden had felt so acutely only moments ago was swept away in a surge of worry. Sweden wrapped his arms uncertainly around Finland and hugged him close to his warm chest. When something wet touched the base of his throat, however, he realized that Finland’s nose was running, and that poor Finland couldn’t be comfortable like that. Sweden separated slightly from Finland so that he could reach over to his bedside table and grab his handkerchief. He used it to dab gently at Finland’s runny nose. Though Sweden did this as carefully as possible, it was enough to rouse Finland from sleep.

“…S-Sve…?” Finland croaked dazedly.

“Sorry fer wakin’ ya,” Sweden mumbled, an embarrassed flush rising in his cheeks. “Y’ were sneezin’ so…”

Finland gave a very congested attempt at a sniffle, but it only made him cough. Sweden offered him the handkerchief, which Finland rubbed his nose frantically with before he started sneezing again into the cloth. “Huhexxshh…! Kerchoo! …Ihkchoo! Ugh… e-excuse be, sorry…”

“Yer sick,” Sweden said in what he’d meant to be a soothing voice. It wasn’t as though it was Finland’s fault he’d caught cold; his friend had nothing to apologize for.

He saw Finland’s Adam’s apple bob in the pale moonlight filtering in through a gap in the curtains and his big, beautiful eyes looked up at him fearfully. Sweden was puzzled. He’d meant for his words to put Finland at ease, but the young man looked anything but soothed.

“R-really, I’b sorry for causi’g so buch trouble,” Finland breathed tremulously. “I cad go sleep id the guestroob if you’d prefer…”

“Hah?” Sweden asked with a frown, still not understanding.

“Hyaaaaa! O-of course you’d prefer that! How stupid of be!” Finland wheezed. His squeak of terror caused him to start coughing again, but he stiffened when Sweden attempted to pat his back comfortingly. “S-sorry, I’ll go dow!”

Oh… Oh. Poor Finland was already sick and miserable and now Sweden had managed to frighten him, no doubt making him feel even worse. Why did he have to be such a failure at expressing himself? Sweden felt terrible for causing his beloved friend even more discomfort when he’d only meant to show him that he cared. Perhaps it was time for him to use his words in a more direct manner, even if it would be embarrassing. Finland was struggling to push himself into an upright position but Sweden put a hand on his shoulder to stop him. He could feel Finland trembling violently under his touch from a mixture of cold and fear, and it motivated him to gather his courage.

“Don’t wantcha t’ go,” Sweden mumbled, glad for the darkness to obscure his beet red face. “Worried ‘boutcha. ‘F it doesn’ make ya too uncomf’rt’ble, stay here so I c’n keep ‘n eye on yer c’ndition ‘n’ keep ya warm?”

“Sve… really…?” Finland stammered.

Sweden nodded, glad that he was finally making himself understood. “Lie down. I’ll bring medicine.”

“Oh, um… O-ok,” Finland said, easing himself hesitantly back into bed as Sweden got up to see if they had any herbs on hand to bring down Finland’s fever and help break up his congestion.

The good news was that Sweden had managed to find the herbs he’d needed in his medicine chest. The bad news was that having his nose clear also allowed Finland to start sneezing again.

“HuakCHOO!! HehISHHH!! HwetISHHH!!” Finland took a shuddering gasp, rubbing his already sore nose desperately with the borrowed handkerchief. “HehIPSHOO!! HehISHHHHI!! EpCHUH!! HepCHUH!! …Hah, hah…! HapSHUH!!”

“Bless ya, bless ya,” Sweden murmured sympathetically, patting Finland’s back. He knew it was useless, but he didn’t know what else to do. Finland’s breath was already hitching again in spite of his exhaustion.

“HehASH!! HuhASHOO!!”

That was when Sweden remembered something he’d heard a village doctor tell him many years ago: that it was possible to stop a sneezing fit by pressing the finger firmly to a certain area just below the septum. Just as Finland’s head fell back in preparation for another bout of sneezing, Sweden rested the tip of his finger firmly against the pressure point. Finland’s desperate sneezy expression lingered for a moment, then faded into one of fatigued relief. He sniffled wetly and twitched his nose, then let out a long sigh.

“Thank you…” he croaked.

“Glad I could help,” Sweden said, lowering his finger cautiously.

Finland’s nose twitched again, but he didn’t start sneezing. He blew his nose tiredly into the handkerchief.

“Think y’ c’n get some sleep now?” Sweden asked, rubbing Finland’s back once more.

“As long as I can keep warm enough,” Finland said with a yawn.

Sweden swallowed nervously. That had sounded like an invitation. It wasn’t his imagination, right? Finland had chills and wasn’t capable of producing enough of his own heat. It made sense for Sweden to offer his own warmth as well. Before his brain could talk him out of it, Sweden wrapped his arms around Finland’s shoulders and torso, hugging him close as he laid down. Finland was stock still as Sweden pulled the blankets up around their shoulders, and it made Sweden wonder if he’d misinterpreted Finland’s words and overstepped his boundaries.

“A-are you sure you don’t mind this, Sve?” Finland asked timidly at last. “I’d hate for you to catch my cold…”

“’S fine,” Sweden assured him apprehensively. “Husband’s gotta be there for ‘is wife when he’s needed.”

Sweden waited for Finland to deny that he was his wife, but instead Finland shifted closer, tucking his head under Sweden’s chin once more.

“…Thank you…” he whispered sleepily.

Sweden could feel his heart swelling rapidly with warmth. Before he could even consider stopping himself, he nuzzled a soft kiss into Finland’s silken blond hair.

“Sweet dreams,” he murmured.

His only reply was a sleepy mumble, which brought the tiniest hint of a smile to Sweden’s normally inexpressive lips. The taller man fell asleep that night the way he’d always wanted to, with a warm little Finn tucked happily in his arms.

AWWWWWWW! :heart:

One of my fav pairings. And you just made it even more perferct! :hug:

That was so freakin' adorable! Sweden and his concern for Finland and everything was just...EEEEEEK!!!! :D

Aw!!!! Poor Finny! I love Finland and Norway!!! yay.gif There are so many cute couples in Hetalia, but they are one of my favorites! wubsmiley.gif Such a cute one-shot, HT! Great job! thumbsupsmiley.png

MY BABUES OHHHHHHHHH~ oh I'm going to have a heart attack i can't take the sweetness!!! Can we have a sequal to this?? Can maybe Sweden catch it pleeeeeeeeease~? <3

MY BABUES OHHHHHHHHH~ oh I'm going to have a heart attack i can't take the sweetness!!! Can we have a sequal to this?? Can maybe Sweden catch it pleeeeeeeeease~? <3

Ask and you shall receive ^^

Title: Breaking Barriers Even More

Pairing: FinlandxSweden

Word count: 1,364

Ever since that night when Sweden had gathered the courage to cuddle shivering, feverish Finland, things began to change between them for the better. Finland began to smile at him more (not the fearful, stiff grimaces he used to give him, but ones full of warmth and sweetness that made Sweden’s heart pound), began seeking out his company in the evening when the two of them relaxed quietly in front of the fire engaged in their own activities, began sleeping closer to the center of the bed rather than perched nervously on the edge the way he used to.

Sweden had no doubt that these changes were thanks to the attentiveness he’d showed Finland while he’d been ill, and he thanked heaven that he’d finally been offered an opportunity to prove to Finland how deeply he cared for him. Though the atmosphere between them hadn’t quite reached the point where it could be called “comfortable” just yet, it was a vast improvement from the uneasy air that had hung over them before. Sweden wondered hazily as he filled the bathtub with steaming water whether the two of them were close enough now that it wouldn’t seem weird if he asked Finland to start warming his pajamas by the fire so that they’d be warm when he was finished with his bath. A shiver ran through him as he imagined dressing in hearth-warmed clothing. He tried to console himself with the reminder that he’d soon be up to his shoulders in hot bathwater.

With the tub filled, Sweden groggily scattered some strong-smelling herbs into the water. He’d been feeling awfully congested since he woke up that morning. Hopefully he hadn’t caught Finland’s cold. Preparations finished and glasses removed and set aside, Sweden lowered himself carefully into the tub. A sigh of relief spilled from his lips as the hot water embraced him. Steam rose from the water’s surface in herb-scented tendrils and tickled his nose.

“Huh’ushhh…” Sweden sneezed softly, creating ripples where his breath hit the water. “Huh’ush-huh’ush… huh’upchoo…!”

He screwed his eyes shut against the burning tickle in his sinuses that was growing stronger by the second. Rubbing his nose did nothing but wipe away the moisture that had begun to drip from his nostril. Realizing he couldn’t stop the oncoming sneezes, Sweden leaned back in the tub and released them openly into the steamy air.

“Huh’epshoo… Eh’kshoo… Huh… Huh-uh… Huh’epchoo… Eh’pch-pch-pchuhhh… Huh’epshuhhhhh….”

Sweden’s ensuing groan of misery was drowned out by a timid knock on the door. It didn’t register in Sweden’s mind, which felt as though it were stuffed with about twenty pounds of wet cotton, who must be knocking until the person spoke.

“Um, Sve? Are you alright in there?” Finland called tentatively.

Sweden did his best to muffle the coughing the unexpected interruption had induced into his hands. “F-fide,” he called back. “Just got sobe water up by dose.”

“Ok…” Finland said hesitantly. The tone of his voice made Sweden suspect that Finland hadn’t believed him, but he didn’t have the energy to pursue the matter.

Sweden reclined even further in the tub with a weary sigh. Maybe if he told Finland that he wasn’t feeling well, Finland would snuggle and baby him. The thought was almost as tantalizing as it was mortifying. Before he could stop himself, Sweden was picturing Finland spoon-feeding him hot soup, blushingly stealing kisses as he held Sweden through a nap, and gently massaging his aching joints. The intimacy of these images put an intense tickle in his nose. Sweden’s breath hitched desperately and sneezed six rapid-fire sneezes into the water so that Finland wouldn’t hear.

Sweden’s head was swimming badly when he emerged from the bathroom. Even though he’d just spent the last half-hour relaxing, his knees felt weak and shaky. Why did the bed suddenly seem so far away? He gave a congested sniffle as he wobbled towards his warm, safe haven. Sweden had just made it halfway across the room when his nose began to twitch again.

“Uh huhhhhh…” Don’t sneeze, he thought desperately as his tickly nostrils flared. Don’t sneeze…

Sweden slowed to a stop as he pinched his nose, waiting for the itch to pass. He felt so dizzy that he was hardly sure anymore if he was even still standing upright. Suddenly a warm, stable arm wrapped around his waist and a soft cloth was brought to his nose.

“Just let those sneezes out, Sve,” Finland’s voice said soothingly. “I’ve got the handkerchief all ready.”

Unable to hold back anymore, Sweden released the breath he’d been holding. “Huh’ehcheh-cheh-cheh-cheh…eh’psheh… Reshoo…”

“Bless you!” Finland cooed. “Need to blow?”

Sweden’s head was still spinning madly as he produced a wet, congested honk into the handkerchief. “Hehyeshoo…”

“Bless you!” Finland repeated, wiping away the last of the mess from under Sweden’s nose. “Can you make it to the bed if I help you?”

Finland let Sweden drape his arm around his shoulder and half hide his face in the crook of his neck as he led him the rest of the way to their bed. Sweden beckoned Finland silently to join him by tugging gently at his hand as Finland helped him lie down. Such was Sweden’s misery that he could hardly even muster the wherewithal to be embarrassed when Finland crawled obediently into bed with him and let Sweden nuzzle his face into his chest. Gentle fingers ran through Sweden’s damp hair as Sweden’s arms curled loosely around Finland’s waist.

“Not feeling well, huh?” Finland asked sympathetically, rubbing Sweden’s back.

Sweden shook his head weakly, sniffling. Another shiver ran through him as Finland’s lips touched shyly, tenderly to his forehead. “You’ve got quite a fever, Sve… I’m so sorry; I must’ve passed my cold to you.”

“Dod’t bide havid’ a cold ‘f it cabe frob you,” Sweden croaked. “Just glad you’re dot sufferin’ adybore.”

“You’re sweet,” Finland whispered, and Sweden could hear the shy smile in his voice. If only he could lift his aching head to witness it for real. “I’m still sorry, though… I’ll do my best to take as good of care of you as you did of me. Is there, um… anything you need?”

What else could Sweden possibly need when his beloved Finland was already holding him so close that he could hear his heart pounding nervously in time with Sweden’s own headache, rubbing his back so soothingly? As far as he was concerned, Sweden was in paradise. He hardly even cared that he had to be stricken down with this miserable cold.

But perhaps there was one thing that could make this situation even better. The thought of asking for it, though, was enough to cause Sweden to start sneezing again.

“Esshiew…” Finland quickly offered him a fresh handkerchief, which Sweden buried his face in. “Akshiew… Apchi!”

“God bless you!” Finland murmured, patting his back. “Poor Sve…”

Sweden blushed as he blew his nose as quietly as he could. He didn’t like sneezing in front of other people, much less Finland, even though he was pretty sure Finland didn’t care, especially considering how many times Finland had sneezed in front of him over the past two weeks as he recovered from his own cold.

“Honestly though, don’t be afraid to ask me for anything you need, ok?” Finland said. “It’s the least I can do after you did such a good job taking care of me.”

Sweden sniffled, gathering his courage. “There’s one thing…”

Finland cocked his head curiously, waiting for Sweden’s order. Sweden swallowed hard, wincing as his throat ached in response. “S…sidg for be…?”

“Wha…r-really?”

Sweden nodded against Finland’s chest, hiding his brilliantly blushing face in his housemate’s shirt.

“Love yer voice,” Sweden confessed softly.

If Sweden hadn’t been hiding his face, he would have loved the embarrassed smile curling up the corners of Finland’s lips. The smaller blond took a tremulous breath and began to hum quietly, stroking Sweden’s hair lovingly. Sweden’s eyelids began to droop almost instantly as the sweet melody of his beloved’s voice filled his ears.

By the time Finland worked up the courage to plant a kiss on the crown of Sweden’s head, Sweden was already fast asleep.

*dies* *dies* *dies* *dies* *dies* *dies* *dies* *dies*

stretcher.gif I died. Eight times. Thanks.

FFFFFFFFFF that's it. I'm dead, I HAVE DIED OF THE CUTE. YOU ARE PERFECT AND I AM DEAD. Thank you for taking my request, it turned out amazing and exactly the way ilove to see their relationship play out <3

Title: School Festival

Pairing: Pre!USUK

Word count: 1,880

It’s finally over… America sighed with a mixture of fatigue and relief as he leaned back against the door of the student council room that he’d just closed behind himself. His eyes fluttered closed as he savored the sensation of a huge weight being lifted from his shoulders. This past week had been W Academy’s school festival. The school festival always meant a lot of work for all the students in the academy, but as America was the student council vice president, he doubted anyone had as large a work load as him. No one except maybe the student council president, anyway.

Speaking of England, where is he? America wondered silently, his eyes slipping open again as he frowned. I saw him running around like a chicken with its head cut off earlier, trying to deal with the aftermath of Prussia’s ball shattering the swimming club’s dunk tank and drenching all those people, but that was hours ago…

The academy was large enough and had enough various clubs all running their different booths that there was a chance that he and England simply might have been helping with the cleanup on opposite sides of campus and simply not crossed each other’s paths, but America thought it strange that he hadn’t even run into him at the storage shed or anything. Just when America was about to shrug the matter off, a noise from across the room caught his attention, startling him slightly.

“—Kushi! Heh…Hekshi!”

The dusk light filtered in through the lowered blinds of the student council room, shedding a bright orange glow on a figure slumped over England’s desk. America blinked in shock. He hadn’t noticed that he wasn’t alone in the room.

“Hehhhkushiii!” the figure sneezed again openly, the sunset’s light illuminating the spray as it was released into the air and began to disperse.

America tiptoed closer to identify the unknown guest. His eyes widened when he realized that it was England, fast asleep with the upper half of his body resting on his desk. England’s nose wrinkled as he gave a number of small, wet sniffles, but otherwise he was still.

America slowed to a halt, cocking his head as he surveyed this unusual scene. Normally England was either hard at work on student council or magic club matters, or bickering with someone over something or another. The younger boy could hardly remember the last time he’d seen England in such a vulnerable position. England was clearly in a deep sleep, his mouth open slightly and a small puddle of drool collecting on the wooden surface of the desk.

Just how long had he been there? America had just wrapped up the last of the cleanup mere minutes ago, but he could tell by the depth of England’s sleep that he’d been there longer than that. If he had to guess, he’d probably say England had been there at least half an hour. America’s brow furrowed as he considered being annoyed that the president had likely skipped out on the last stage of the festival to take a nap while everyone else was hard at work.

England’s nose twitched, and he released another somewhat high-pitched, unrestrained “Hehhhhpshii!” He followed his sneeze with a small cough and a moan.

As much as America didn’t like the fact that England had been sleeping while he himself had been slaving away, especially since England often scolded him for not taking his duties seriously, he found his irritation fading away as he drew even nearer to England. He watched his upperclassman sleep, unaware of the tender expression blossoming on his face. America would rather throw his mint condition first edition golden age Superman comics into a blazing fireplace than admit this out loud, but he knew that England had worked even harder than him to ensure that the weekend’s school festival had gone as smoothly as possible, even if he hadn’t assisted with the cleanup portion. Even with all the work America had put in, he still hadn’t been able to miss the growing bags under England’s eyes during the week leading up to the main event.

Before he could reconsider, America was reaching out to smooth England’s hair away from his face. “You worked hard this week, Igs. You deserve a good rest…”

The tender expression that had over America’s face gave way to a small frown when he noticed that the hair beneath his fingers was damp. His immediate thought was that the wetness was sweat, but then he noticed the towel draped over England’s shoulders, and the moisture that had made darkened patches on his shirt and trousers and he made the connection.

He must’ve gotten wet trying to clean up the shattered dunk tank mess, America realized. Has he been sitting in this air conditioned room in his wet clothes this whole time…?

“Huhhhepshii!” England sneezed again.

The frown of concern on America’s face deepened as his hand drifted to England’s forehead.

“Whoa, hey,” America muttered. “You feel a little feverish!”

Either the touch or America’s exclamation must have disturbed England because he suddenly began to stir. “Wh-whuhh…?” England croaked, his tired green eyes easing open reluctantly.

America jerked his hand away from England’s forehead as England gave a congested attempt at a sniffle and started coughing into his cupped hands.

“Ha…Ha-aaaaah…” England’s head fell back, his nostrils flaring.

America hurriedly snatched a few tissues from the box on the corner of the desk and stuffed them into England’s hands.

“Huhapshii!” England pitched into the tissues, still not aware of his surroundings enough to have the presence of mind to stifle his sneezes like he normally did. “Huhashoo!”

“Jeez, bless you!” America said, patting England’s shivering back uncertainly. “You ok?”

England turned to look at his underclassman hazily as he blew his nose. When he realized that he was no longer alone, and that the person who had blessed him was America of all people, England jumped and hurriedly jerked his face out of the tissues, hiding them pointlessly under the desk.

“Wh-why are you--?!” England sputtered, but he ended up making himself cough and was unable to finish his question.

America thumped him gently on the back in an attempt to help him get out the gunk in his throat but England flinched away from him, stumbling to his feet. England was panting slightly, his cheeks brilliantly red as he faced America, gripping his chair and the edge of his desk for support.

“Um, m-mornin’, England,” America said with a sheepish smile. “Have a nice nap?”

“Wh-who said anything about napping?!” England demanded, but he couldn’t keep from averting his eyes in shame. “I was just… trying to finish up some last minute paperwork! And what’re you doing in here anyway?! The festival will be ending soon, and I expect you to help with the cleanup! Get going! Shoo!”

America rolled his eyes. “Check your watch, dude. The festival’s been over for like two hours. The cleanup’s already finished.”

“That can’t be! It’s only—” England trailed off, his eyes widening as he realized what time it actually was.

“See?” America said. “You must’ve been asleep for a while, huh? I mean, not that I blame you with that cold you’re getting. Napping in your wet clothes probably wasn’t the smartest move, though…”

“What the blazes are you on about?” England demanded, folding his arms defensively. “I haven’t got a… ah hah… Ehhhhxxshi!”

America smiled sympathetically and offered England the box of tissues. England went even redder and turned his back defiantly on America, ignoring the offered tissues and dabbing at his nose surreptitiously with the wadded ball of used ones he’d attempted to hide under his desk earlier.

“Ya sure?” America prodded gently. “I mean, I’m no doctor, but that sounds like a cold to me.”

“I-It’s this bright sunlight, you prat!” England snapped embarrassedly. “Sudden, harsh light makes plenty of people sneeze!”

“Ok…” America conceded slowly. “But I’ve never known sunlight to make people shiver like that.”

“The air conditioning’s up too high’s all,” England insisted. “Turn it down a few notches and I’ll right as… r-right as… r-r-reh…Hnkch! …Ktkcht! …Egtcht! Kxxsht!”

England wavered on his feet, dizzy from stifling sneezes that were gradually increasing in frequency. America hurried around the desk to help steady him, holding out the box of tissues once more. This time, England accepted them, stumbling unintentionally into America’s embrace.

“Hgsht! Nnxxsht! …Igcht! Hehkcht! Nghtcht! …Heh… hehhhktcht!”

“Trying to hold ‘em back’s just making you sneeze more,” America said exasperatedly. “You don’t hafta be so embarrassed, ok? Just let ‘em out.”

England couldn’t hold his breath any longer. Though he thought it mortifying, he found that he had no choice but to take America’s advice. “Hehegsshhi! Hidjishhhi! …Heptchi! …Hehdishiew! Ugh…”

America held England close as his sneezing fit petered out into some weary, throaty coughs, patting his back. “God bless you!” he said breathlessly. Having England so close, his damp, shivering body wrapped in his arms, was doing funny things to America’s chest. He swallowed hard, trying to ignore the rising, sweetly painful emotion swelling within him, telling himself to focus on the heat radiating from England’s forehead, which was resting against his cheek.

“D-dod’t thidk this proves adythi’g,” England grumbled in a congested voice. America couldn’t help noticing that in spite of his protesting, England wasn’t pulling away from him.

“You’ve got a fever, Igs,” America murmured. “There’s no shame in admitting you’re sick, ok? I won’t pick on you. I just…” he hesitated, swallowing hard as he tried to gather the nerve to say what was on his mind, “I can’t stand the thought of you needing help and not feeling like you have anyone you can go to… As a hero, I mean.”

England was silent for a moment, aside from a minute sniffle. “…Hy…hypothetically speaki’g…” he began eventually in a hoarse voice, “let’s say I… codfessed to dot feeli’g 100 percedt… What thed?”

America couldn’t bite back a small smile. “In that case, I guess I’d have to drive you home, get you all set up in bed with some nice, warm blankets, find you some medicine, and then, I dunno… tea? Soup? Whichever sounds better to you…”

“…A bath…?” England suggested this so softly that if America hadn’t been holding him, he would’ve missed it.

America’s smile grew. “If that’s what it takes. Just say the word.”

He heard England swallow thickly. Sensing that England only needed a bit more persuasion, America rubbed his back gently. “But if you’re sure you don’t have a cold…”

“W-well… perhaps a little ode…” England admitted tiredly. “Dot adythi’g serious, bide you… Hardly worth bedtiodi’g at all…”

The funny feeling in America’s chest flared up again in full force at England’s quiet confession and he found himself wanting to smile even wider than before. He bit it back, though, knowing that it would embarrass England deeply. America patted his back again soothingly. “Don’t worry, England; Hero America’s on the job. C’mon, let’s see if we can get you feeling better, ok?”

“…Th-thadk you…” England whispered.

America mercifully pretended not to hear him when he noted how red the back of England’s neck had gone and simply guided him towards his car in the back parking lot.

Archived