Sneeze Fetish Forum

Guardian Angel (original fiction, M/M)

Juto

Ah - that was sad and sweet. The descriptions of the slight fevers in the beginning were nice. :wubsmiley: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 641
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Juto

• Arty

• Subtly Clashing Wishes

• Kaze Wo Hiku

Ohmygosh! Sorry I've been absent. That shout-out was so sweet and the chapter even sweeter! <3 Can they be any cuter together?! Sooooo adorable! x <3

You write this so beautifully. They're both so delicate but find such divine strength and support in each other essence. So lovely. <3

• 2 weeks later...

Wow... Just wow... this was (addicting, hypnotic, riveting, and other synonyms that my energy deprived brain can't locate at the moment).

Juto, your writing is, without a doubt, a thing of surreal beauty. I read straight through... Incredible love and passion. The intimacy of their two minds is glorious. 

Is there anything you can't do?

Your Adoring fan,

Flailing

Hi lovelies... So when I say "a couple of weeks" what I really meant to say was "probably about a month or so..." Do forgive me, language barrier and all that :P But I'm back with a new little sequence. I'm Reserving this post for comments as Apple more often than not ruins my formatting when I try to combine things... Curses. But I promise I'll have the next instalment up some time today :D Thank you for you patience :heart: 

@Kaze wo Hiku aww thanks, glad you liked it, Empress. Yeah, you stick to your angst, I'll stick to my fluff :P 

@SpamKey hahaha awwwww... Haha, don't mind if I do come stealing those lines at one point ;) 

@Artemisa book? Oh wow, gosh, Uhm... Thank you. :blush::hug:

@Artygirl22 aww arty :hug: don't cry, dear, it's just a story :) but I'm glad you're still liking it. I'll go a bit easy in the angst from now on... Maybe :P

@Candy Dust awwww thank you so much :heart: that shout out was well deserved! Couldn't have written it without Chad :D 

@hedgehog thank hedgie :hug: I'm glad you like it. Don't worry, I'll bring back sick and feverish Elias before the end ;) aaaaand maybe even after that :whistle: 

@Seeking Clarity + Wisdom I'm glad you enjoyed it scw. I imagined it was a very bitter sweet moment, at least for Zachariah, though Elias seemed to understand it at the end though :) dense angel. :heart:

@flailingartist GUUUUUUURL!!! That blush lasted for DAYS!! It's dangerous to bestow that much praise on a person all at once. I got all flushed and awkward and carried a stupid grin on my face for quite some time. But thank you so much, goodness... I just.. I... Wow! Thanks :hug: 

You are all so incredibly sweet :heart: comments are love and they definitely keep me going, so thank you. 

Oh, and thank you to @Kaze wo Hiku who proudly informed me that she was my no. 20.000 view. *flailing of pure happiness* Thank you :hug: 

So, back with the next little sequence of 3 parts that I will upload within the next week's time. 

A shout out to @Seeking Clarity + Wisdom for initially suggesting this back in... September? Gosh, it's been that long... Thank you :hug:

And a huuuuuuuge thank you to @SpamKey for letting me use her OC, Dr. Darian Verago from her wonderful story "A work in Progress". Dr. Verago will make recurring cameos in GA, and if I'm not mistaken, Elias will make a vocal appearance in SpamKey's Drabble thread, so make sure you check that out along with her amazing story :D  

Happy Easter everyone :D 

Part 70 - Doctor’s visit

Zach's eyes fluttered shut as he gave in to the relentless tickle. “Ha’Ah'tchju! Snf! Ah.. Ahtschju! Snf!”

“Bless you. Open up, Zachariah.” Zach rolled his eyes, but gave in to Elias’s persistent coaxing and accepted the floating thermometer from his invisible guardian for the 8th time that morning. 

“Seriously Dr. Universe, my temperature was fine 20 minutes ago. Is this really necessary?”

The thermometer removed itself at the first beep and the guardian let out a content sigh. “Normal, thank the Gods.”

Zach rolled his eyes again and fought hard to wipe the amusement from his face. He had a doctor’s appointment to get his flu shot today and, being Zachariah, had naturally developed a touch of cold during the night. One sneeze, one cough and a few sniffles and his guardian had been exchanged for an overprotective mother hen, fussing over him all morning, taking his temperature every 10 minutes to make sure Zachariah could still have the flu shot despite his brewing cold. 
Zach's features became dead serious as he pondered over the upcoming appointment. Some things were bound to surface, things he should have told his friend by now. And he had planned to, he really had, but every time Elias started to fuss about Zach's sneezes or coughs or whether he was too warm or too cold and the way the angel’s voice would go darker with worry whenever Zachariah did give in and confessed to not feeling well, Zach had chickened out. He knew the information would make his guardian worried sick to no extend and probably angry too, but ultimately, he had to know. 

“Zachariah?” Zach quickly rearranged his facial expression as Elias’s hands came up to cup his face, stroke his cheeks and gently feel the sore, achy spot between his eyebrows. “Hey, are you okay? Do you feel sick? Do you have a headache?” Zach shook his head, but Elias’s hands continued to stroke his hair and nuzzle his neck. “Are you worried about the flu shot? The needle? Because I promise, I'll be there the whole time, squeezing your hand.” Zach smiled and shook his head again. How could he possibly tell his over attentive mother hen about… That!? If he were lucky, Dr. Porter would skip the routine questions entirely. 

~ ~ ~ 

“Zachariah Benedict?” Zach smiled at the receptionist who had just called his name. “Dr. Porter retired earlier this year, and your new doctor, Dr. Pace is unfortunately off sick, so
filling in for him will be Dr. Verago. Room 1-4.” Zach sighed, feeling Elias’s reassuring hand on his shoulder. There was no way to avoid the routine questions now. 

~ ~ ~

“Zachariah Benedict? Pleasure. I'm Darian Verago, please call me Darian.” Dr. Verago started, shaking Zach's hand and gesturing towards the two pulled out chairs in front of his desk. “I, eh, I apologise in advance if I seem, uhm, disorganised. I-I normally work in the ER, but the clinic was short on staff so here I am.” He flashed Zach a stunning smile as his hand nervously ran the length of his dark ponytailed hair that reached his shoulders.

“It's just Zach, please Darian.” Zach smiled back as he took a seat. “And I'm sure it'll be fine since it’s just a flu shot.” Zach felt a few finger taps against his shoulder, it was a sign from Elias, asking him for a smaller distraction so he could take up the other chair without the doctor noticing. This time though, Zach didn't need to fake a cough as a distraction, his nose was helping out. He held up a finger in an “one-second-please” gesture. 

“Excuse me. Hh…ah’tschoo! Snf! H’atschjuh! Snf!”

“Bless you. Caught a cold Zach?” The doctor asked, eyebrows raised questioningly.

Zach was grateful for the sudden tissue in his hand. He tended to his nose. “A minor one, I'm fine.”

“Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Though it's the season isn't it? All this chilly weather. My partner, Nick, who works here at the hospital too is currently on his second cold since summer. And as you know, the clinic is suffering too.” He smiled kindly. “Feel feverish at all, Zach?”

“No.” No, definitely not feverish. 12 measurements had confirmed that. 

“Good, let's move on then.” Dr. Verago ran his eyes over the screen, a small frown forming on his face. “I know this is just a flu shot appointment, Zach, but looking at your profile,” he shot a brief look in Zach's direction. “I, eh, I think we should discuss a few things first.”

Zach took a shaky breath. He had expected nothing less. Thankfully though, Darian seemed kinder and more understanding than Dr. Porter had been.

~ ~ ~ 
Elias was surprised to learn that the doctor intended to submit his ward to a full body examination before his flue shot. Was this normal? The angel shrugged to himself, this was an ER doctor after all. He probably just wanted to personally take note of Zach's health. 
Elias was not surprised to find Zach's blood pressure and heart rate to be perfect, having thoroughly checked them himself regularly the past year. Nor was he surprised to learn that Zach's hearing and eyesight were perfect as well. If they hadn't been he would have noticed. 

The guardian felt a twinge of concern as Dr. Verago kindly asked Zach to take off most of his clothes and prop himself up on the examination table. Hadn't Zachariah just told him he was down with a cold? And still the doctor expected him to lay shivering on the cold table in nothing but his shorts? 
Elias could scarcely believe the nerve of that quack!

“I'm terribly sorry, Zach.” Dr. Verago said with a small cringe as Zach began to undress. “ I know it's not the warmest of days.” He looked around frantically, snatching a couple of towels from a shelf laying them on the exam table. “There. Now it's not as cold. Call me overprotective, but taking your medical history into account, I like reassurance that you're as healthy as you seem to feel.”

Elias noticed Zach tensed at the words “medical history” and started to look around. He placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. Elias wondered about the choice of words but wrote them off as the doctor knowing about Zach's frequent colds and other ailments from his profile. 

Zach let out a tiny shiver as Elias’s warm hand came into contact with his already chilled skin. Elias frowned. Necessary or not, the angel still deemed the full body exam a negative impact on his ward’s fragile health. He went to stand by Zachariah, igniting the glowing warmth in his hands. In-between the doctor’s examination of Zach's stomach, back, muscles and joints, Elias let his hands glide over every inch of Zach’s body, warming up his exposed skin. 

“H’atschuh!” 

“Bless you, Zach. I'm sorry, I realise this must be slightly uncomfortable.” He ran his hand along his hair, reaching for his stethoscope in his desk. “I'll be quick.”

Elias paced back and forth trying to calm himself as the doctor circled a now sitting Zachariah, listening to his lungs through both chest and back. Zach had begun to sniffle more often and Elias ached to envelope him in warmth, knowing perfectly well how Zach's body would react if it caught a chill it couldn't shake.

Another sneeze and a small shiver later and Elias was fuming, pointing threatening fingers at the oblivious doctor and letting out small vicious hisses under his breath. Twice Zach had discovered his position and sent him a stern look. How could he possibly know what Elias was doing? Elias reluctantly stuck his hands in his pockets but continued to glare at the doctor as if that alone could make him bend to his will.

“That's it, all done.”

The guardian let out an impatient sigh as the doctor finally allowed Zachariah to put his clothes back on after muttering a quiet apology. Zach tried not to giggle and loose his balance as he had to dress himself all tangled up in invisible limbs that sought to spread out as much as possible to warm up his cooled skin. Zach turned his head to look behind him mouthing a silent “thank you” with a smile. That was all Elias needed to calm down. He responded with a small brush of his lips against Zach's neck making his ward shiver with tingles.

Soon after they were seated again in front of Dr. Verago who was tapping away at his keyboard. Elias noticed Zach had tensed up again and placed a reassuring hand around his wrist. His ward seemed off, distant, almost nervous, even after persistently assuring Elias that he wasn't afraid of needles. He ran his thumb soothingly across the back of Zach's hand, a gesture that normally would make Zachariah smile at him, but there was no reaction. Zach looked straight ahead, intensely focused on a poster on the wall behind the doctor. Elias caressed Zach's hand again. They would be done soon and then Elias would take him out for a coffee somewhere. Although a soon-to-be-cold-ridden Zachariah belonged in his bed, with a warm and comforting angel wrapped around him, Elias could see that Zach needed a break from being sick and miserable. So, cold or no cold, they would enjoy an afternoon together doing whatever Zach wanted to do. Elias refocused on the doctor, his hand still caressing Zach's. 

“All warmed up again?” Dr. Verago inquired kindly. Zach gave a small tense nod in response. “Right.” Dr. Verago looked up from his computer. “I will go through this conversation quickly because, eh, I-I know that especially young men such as yourself, tend to get slightly, uhm, un-uncomfortable with this topic.”
Elias noticed the doctor’s cheeks were starting to turn a light shade of pink, he frowned not really understanding what Dr. Verago was saying.  He glanced at Zach. His ward’s tense features seemed somewhat more relaxed but there was still no trace of a smile in his face. 

Darian took a deep breath as if to steady himself. “Zach I, eh, I n-need to know if you're sexually active.”

The question took Elias completely by surprise and he almost blared at the doctor with undisguised contempt. Zach however seemed to keep his cool but blushed a deep shade of red, shaking his head with vigour. To Elias’s great dismay the doctor continued.

“Have you had this talk with either of your parents?” An even deeper blush and an honest head shake came from Zach. Elias really had to credit his ward for his honesty. Dr. Verago nodded. “Right then.”

What followed was 10 minutes of extremely uncomfortable information and embarrassing questions being processed by a highly blushing Zachariah who could only nod and shake his head and a cringing guardian with a severe case of sudden nervous eye twitches. At one point Elias nearly fell out of his chair in his hurry to cup his hands around Zach's ears in attempt to save his ward from the nightmares knowing about the physical symptoms an STD could give him, should he contract one through unprotected intercourse. The angel was beyond appalled. In his youth such questions had never been asked. It was the first time Elias physically cringed at the modern times.

The embarrassing questions finally ended. Elias sighed. He could easily understand Zach's behaviour now. His ward must have known that conversation was coming but had been too embarrassed to mention it. To his ward's defence, the doctor seemed as embarrassed as he had been, but thankfully, it was all over now. He looked at Zachariah expecting him to have lessened his tension and blank stare but if anything Zach looked even more nervous now. Elias frowned. 
Instant worry flared up in him. Whatever was on his ward’s mind it was not pleasant. Zach swallowed nervously as Darian looked at him again after having finished typing his notes. Elias slowly brought his arm up to nuzzle Zach's neck, that usually calmed him down, but there was no response. The angel’s frown deepened. 

“So, Zachariah, I see you've managed to avoid strawberries altogether for the past 4 years.” The doctor said, looking back at the screen. “That's excellent.”

What? That made no sense to Elias. No, Zachariah didn't like strawberries, he had told him that! Of course he would avoid them. 

“Your EpiPens must be reaching their expiration dates. I'll make sure you can pick up new ones from the pharmacy. We wouldn't want any expired life-saving medication in case you should accidentally eat a strawberry.”

Wait, WHAT? EpiPens? Life-saving medication? Elias looked perplexed at Zach, whose cheeks had started to turn a light shade of pink. Was Zachariah allergic, wait, DEADLY allergic to strawberries? Why hadn't he told him?

“I think they still have a few months left, but yeah, I need some new ones soon. Just in case.” Zach's voice sounded distant and he refused to look in Elias’s direction despite a gentle tug at his wrist. Elias kept his hand around Zach's neck, running soothing circles against Zach’s skin. 

~ ~ ~

The doctor looked at his computer screen again, staring intently at Zach's profile. “Hmm, what about your exercised-induced asthma?” Zach felt the grip on his wrist and around his neck tighten and he tried his best not to glance nervously in Elias’s direction. “Are you still managing that? Do you need another canister for your inhaler?”

Zach nodded slowly, his eyes never leaving the table. “Yes, please. I remember to take it, so it's fine.” His eyes betrayed him as they peeked at the chair next to him. Guilt tied a knot in his gut. He had knowingly kept this from his guardian, using his inhaler in the bathroom before gym class to not worry Elias unnecessarily. He had always kept his asthma a secret, even before Elias came. He just didn't feel like anyone knowing about it. He felt enough of a weakling as it was without his class mates knowing about that too. He was handling it fine on his own. His parents knew, obviously, but they had probably forgotten. 

~ ~ ~ 

Asthma? Elias couldn't believe what he had just heard. The initial contract and heaven’s file on Zachariah had never mentioned asthma. Elias had never seen Zach with an inhaler, not even before he revealed himself to his ward, and yet, Zachariah claimed to be using it. Elias was worried and confused and slightly… hurt. Why had Zach kept this a secret from him? The angel grew suddenly anxious as Zach's features remained unchanged. 

Oh no! 

What else had his ward kept from him?

TBC…

I honestly think my fave part of all.of this (aside from Dr Hot Guy) is Elias' quiet yet freaking out reaction to all the things Zach hasnt told him.

Gahhhhhh I know what coming and Im STILL feverishly anticipating!! 

Ahh!!! AAHHHH! THE DEXY DOCTOR?! YAY!!!!!

Oh my there are secrets?? Indeed what else is there? 

11 hours ago, Kaze wo Hiku said:

I agree! I know what's coming too and I am shivering with anticipation. 

Though I think my favorite part is Elias's prudishness coming through. LOL!

Eyyyyyy B) 

I just have to say I love how wonderfully spot-on @Juto of Fluff's portrayal of Darian was! He was just perfect, and I'm so glad we'll be seeing more of him here!

(Not to mention poor Zach being adorable and nervous and Elias's fussing and worry and omfg everything was just perfect!!!!! I, too, know what's coming but still... Gahhh, Zach, you shouldn't be hiding things from your guardian!!!! He loves you and he'd want to know!!!! *scolding finger stages a comeback*)

:sweatdrop: Anywho... As for the Elias-cameo, I'll be posting that one after the next GA... I wouldn't want to give spoilers ;)

OOOOh, ish about to get serious. I'm ready to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. (Ps. Great Drabble!!)

Since I'm not good with words, I'll just put a spectrum of emoticons to describe my reaction...

:wubsmiley::wubsmiley::wubsmiley::heart::blush::drool::drool:

Anyways, sorry I've been really really realllly awful with commenting. :pinch: But I read every single part and they are all incredibly perfect. Obviously I'm not great with words, but they're all so unique and you have broken (and reshaped) my heart quiiite a few times. Where do you get these ideas? They're so perfect. <3

I laughed when I saw that Darian's here too. Guest appearances are the best!! xD

And it always makes me so happy to see Elias and Zach worrying about each other. I ship it just as much as Raphael :DGuess I'll have to prepare for freakingout!Elias in the next part, then? ;)

I know this comment is a mess, but thanks again for spoiling us with your drabbles, Juto! I will never get tired of them :D

:boom:

Noooo I caught up :cold: But at the same time I'm glad that means there's more to look forward to because I could read about these cuties forever.

I read maybe to about part 15 awhile back and then picked it up again and got caught up in the last 24ish hours. I also ship the hell out of these two sweeties!

Also have read and loved the stories with Dr. Verago and appreciated the cameo ^_^

On 28. mar. 2016 at 4:42 PM, Kaze wo Hiku said:

I honestly think my fave part of all.of this (aside from Dr Hot Guy) is Elias' quiet yet freaking out reaction to all the things Zach hasnt told him.

hahahaha yeah, sorry, I'm not good at keeping plot points a secret... *Juto of insecurity* I'm glad you're still enjoying it :hug: 

On 28. mar. 2016 at 5:47 PM, Artygirl22 said:

Ahh!!! AAHHHH! THE DEXY DOCTOR?! YAY!!!!!

Oh my there are secrets?? Indeed what else is there? 

Hahaha Dr. Hot Guy in deed :D Aaaahhhh gotta love that man!! 

Secrets :whistle: Uhm... Maybe...? 

On 29. mar. 2016 at 2:26 AM, Coffee Chicken Barista said:

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Cheesecake heaven, Barista, darling... :lol: LOVE YOU TOO!!!!! 

On 29. mar. 2016 at 4:03 AM, Seeking Clarity + Wisdom said:

I agree! I know what's coming too and I am shivering with anticipation. 

Though I think my favorite part is Elias's prudishness coming through. LOL!

Haha again, me and not keeping secrets :whistle: oops... Haha I had so much fun writing Elias's reactions to all the news. My poor angel. 

On 30. mar. 2016 at 6:20 AM, SpamKey said:

Eyyyyyy B) 

I just have to say I love how wonderfully spot-on @Juto of Fluff's portrayal of Darian was! He was just perfect, and I'm so glad we'll be seeing more of him here!

(Not to mention poor Zach being adorable and nervous and Elias's fussing and worry and omfg everything was just perfect!!!!! I, too, know what's coming but still... Gahhh, Zach, you shouldn't be hiding things from your guardian!!!! He loves you and he'd want to know!!!! *scolding finger stages a comeback*)

:sweatdrop: Anywho... As for the Elias-cameo, I'll be posting that one after the next GA... I wouldn't want to give spoilers ;)

Aww thanks dear :hug: Thank you so much for letting me borrow him. I will again very soon :D 

Curses! I had completely forgotten that it would be a huge spoiler to post your Drabble before my next one... Hehe oops :lol: good thing you were awake. 

On 31. mar. 2016 at 10:53 PM, Artemis said:

OOOOh, ish about to get serious. I'm ready to be a fly on the wall for that conversation. (Ps. Great Drabble!!)

Haha thanks... I hope you're ready for it. 

On 31. mar. 2016 at 0:58 AM, monochrome said:

Since I'm not good with words, I'll just put a spectrum of emoticons to describe my reaction...

:wubsmiley::wubsmiley::wubsmiley::heart::blush::drool::drool:

Anyways, sorry I've been really really realllly awful with commenting. :pinch: But I read every single part and they are all incredibly perfect. Obviously I'm not great with words, but they're all so unique and you have broken (and reshaped) my heart quiiite a few times. Where do you get these ideas? They're so perfect. <3

I laughed when I saw that Darian's here too. Guest appearances are the best!! xD

And it always makes me so happy to see Elias and Zach worrying about each other. I ship it just as much as Raphael :DGuess I'll have to prepare for freakingout!Elias in the next part, then? ;)

I know this comment is a mess, but thanks again for spoiling us with your drabbles, Juto! I will never get tired of them :D

:boom:

MONOCHROME OMG GUUUUURRRRLLL!!!!!

awwwww I have missed you blowing up in your comments. :lol: so glad to have you back. I'm thrilled you're still following, reading and enjoying GA :heart: 

Haha I love guest appearances too. I flailed like a complete fangirl when SpamKey allowed me to borrow Darian. I just love that freakin' hot doc!!! :hug: 

8 hours ago, sneezymui said:

Noooo I caught up :cold: But at the same time I'm glad that means there's more to look forward to because I could read about these cuties forever.

I read maybe to about part 15 awhile back and then picked it up again and got caught up in the last 24ish hours. I also ship the hell out of these two sweeties!

Also have read and loved the stories with Dr. Verago and appreciated the cameo ^_^

Aww sorry :( *strokes your hair*. But yay, you caught up :D hi and welcome. Wow, so you read about 55 of my drabbles in a day?? That's just... Wow :)

Awww thank you, I'm so happy you like them. There should be plenty to look forward too, yes :D I hope you like it. 

You are all so wonderful :heart:  Part 2 in the next post... 

Here's the next part :D I hope you like it. Have a great weekend :D 

Part 71 – House-call doctor

Elias couldn't quite shake the feeling that Zach was keeping something more from him, something bad. The angel was on the edge of his seat, running his eyes over every frowned and tense line in Zachariah's face. His anxiety grew. Clearly this was more than simply denying a small head cold, Elias was used to Zach's stubbornness when it came to his health and this wasn't it. He yearned to wrap his arms around Zach, to offer what little comfort he could right here, right now, but he was frozen in place, anxiously awaiting what was to come. 

~ ~ ~ 

“Okay then. Just one last thing to go over.” Dr. Verago offered Zach an apologetic look. 

Zach closed his eyes, dreading what he knew was coming. Elias was bound to find out when Zach was due for a check-up in a couple of months, but Zach already hated himself for adding another rock to Elias’s too heavy basket of Zachariahn-stuff-to-worry-about. Actually, more like a boulder, really, than a rock.
He finally raised a pair of moist rain clouded eyes towards his friend, softening his expression with humility, wordlessly begging Elias to accept his apology for keeping this a secret from him.

The doctor’s eyes refocused on Zach and he placed his intertwined hands on the table in front of him before addressing him in a more parental than professional manner. 

“Zach, you have been cancer free for 4 years now and I can see that you have a scheduled check-up at the clinic in 2 months, I… I just wanted to make sure that you're still doing okay? The treatment for your leukemia, both the one you received at age 3 and the one you received 6 years ago when the illness sadly recurred, is known to cause some disturbances to the patient’s immune system.” He glanced at his screen again before looking back at Zach. “But according to your profile and log, you rarely see a doctor.” Zach tried to keep his composure as green eyes looked at him, soft with empathy. “How are you holding up?”

~ ~ ~

Elias was in shock! He felt as if the air had been knocked out of him and his dead heart clenched painfully in his chest. He took a deep breath, trying to get a grip on the facts he had just been presented. Zachariah had had cancer? HIS Zachariah? Cancer? TWICE?
Right in that moment, Elias would have gladly taken a thousand bullets to the chest to have been with his ward at that time, holding him, nursing him, comforting him. Elias felt his entire world crumble as he recalled the pictures in Zach's parent’s living room, the Christmas at the hospital 6 years ago. Zach was being treated for leukemia. Elias started trembling as he fought the wave of emotions that came tumbling towards him. If it hadn't been for that stupid doctor and this stupid office, he would he pulled Zachariah into his arms, cocooning him, shielding him from the rest of the world for all eternity! He would be mad at him first, obviously, Zach had no right to keep this from him. 

Or would he? 

One glance at Zachariah told Elias that his ward was feeling guilty enough as it was, that the last thing he needed was harsh words… Or even sympathy? What Zach truly needed was support. And love, oh Gods, love above all else! His poor ward had been struggling with this alone for God knows how long. He had no friends to turn to, no parents who actually gave a damn, but he had his guardian. And his guardian would make damn sure that Zachariah never had another day without friendship and support… And love! 

Elias took a deep breath to calm himself as he felt warm tears trickle down his cheeks. He lifted a shaky hand from around Zach's wrist to wipe them away, the other maintaining a tight grip on his ward’s neck.

Ahh the pain! He took another deep breath, finally putting an end to the trickling tears. He had to be strong, had to be there for Zachariah. 
~ ~ ~ 

Zach breathed a small sigh of relief as the tense and shaking hands on his wrist and around his neck sprang to life and cupped his own cold and nervously shaking hand affectionately. He tried to keep his features neutral as he shrugged, unwilling to give too much away to the doctor. He hated to be a nuisance to anyone. 

“I'm fine. It's mostly just colds. Nothing worth calling for… Re-hhh-really.” He turned his head away from the concerned looking doctor and brought his arm up to cover his mouth, smiling through an unsteady intake of breath as he noticed the tissue placed on it. 

“H’atschuh! Ahh… Ah’tschjuh!”

“Bless you, Zach.” Green eyes were still regarding him softly as he turned back to the doctor. 

Zach sniffled, wiping his nose on the tissue from Elias. “My parents take good care of me.” Zach forced a small smile, hoping the lie would go unnoticed. The doctor kept his gaze on him, his face unreadable. Zach started to worry the ER doctor didn’t believe his lie. 

“That sounds great Zach.” Zach breathed a small sigh of relief but Darian didn't sound too convinced. He took a deep breath. “Zach I know that this session hasn’t been very comfortable for you and that the subject of cancer itself and its consequences to your immune system can be delicate subjects. I do hope that won’t keep you from calling your doctor should the need arise.” 

Zach looked down, fighting a small blush. He didn’t mind doctors, but he hated the process of calling, trying to explain his symptoms to a receptionist and then having to go to the clinic only to be stared at by other patients in the waiting room before he could even speak to his doctor. The last couple of times he had seen Dr. Porter, before Elias had been assigned to him, he had been told his symptoms were caused by a virus and that bed rest, painkillers and fluids would be his only aids in the fight. Since then, Zach had simply stopped calling. Dr. Porter had been a good doctor, very professional, but he'd asked a lot of questions concerning Zach's health and his parents. Zach had lied and hated himself for it. 

“I'll be sure to call, Dr. Verago.”

Somehow, Dr. Verago seemed to understand his internal struggle. Darian nodded slowly as he drummed his fingers on the table, seeming deep in thought for a minute. “Tell you what.” He took a post-it from a smaller pile on the desk. “This is my number here at the hospital.” He glanced up at Zach seeming on the verge of an important decision. He wrote down a second number on the small piece of paper. “And my personal cell. Please don’t hesitate to give me a call if you suspect anything beyond a common cold. I can see your house is not far from where I live and I don't mind coming by to check on you.”

Zach felt his phone being pulled from his pocket and resisted an eye roll and a complementary shake of his head. Of course Elias was already putting the numbers into their phones. 

“Do…” Zach was confused. “Do you want me to call you and not the clinic?”

Darian leaned closer, hands locked on the table. “Zach, I get why in your special case you'd be reluctant to call with yet another cold that just got out of hand, but please believe me when I say you're helping no one by toughing it out. As a consequence of your leukaemia treatments your body can't fight off most diseases on its own without help.” The doctor’s gaze softened. “Is there anyone aside from your parents that look after you? Anyone you can go to if you don't feel well?”

Zachariah swallowed, nodding. “My, uhm, my boyfriend. Elias.” Zach lowered his head, blushing “He's taken care of me before.”

Darian seemed relieved though his eyes had turned stern “Make sure he gets my number too and have him call me if necessary.” Zach nodded trying not to smile. Poor Darian Verago, he had no idea what he had just offered. Zachariah only hoped his new house-call doctor would not grow weary of having an invisible guardian calling him at all hours because Zach had a touch of fever. 

~ ~ ~

Curious as to why the doctor would offer Zachariah this kind gesture, giving him both his work number and personal cell, numbers which were now already on speed dial on both his and Zach's phones, Elias tiptoed around the doctor to glance at Zach’s profile on the screen. The angel fought back tears as the words “cancer”, “leukaemia”, “exercise-induced asthma” and “severe allergy” stood black against white. Quickly glancing through the profile, he noticed a remark, most likely from his previous doctor and written before Zachariah had turned 18. Elias sighed to himself, of course Zachariah hadn't seen a professional doctor for more than two years.

“Parents take very little interest. I suspect Patient is more often sick than he lets on. In case of suspected negligence, Child Protective Services should be contacted.”

Elias gasped. So Dr. Verago knew Zach’s parents weren’t a big part of his life. Elias felt a twinge of gratitude towards Darian. Any other doctor might have believed Zach and left him to himself or worse, not believed him and contacted Child Protective Services. But Elias was happy to conclude that Dr. Darian Verago, despite Elias’s earlier objection to his practice, seemed to have a natural need to help people, not just treat their maladies. With his offer maybe Zach wouldn’t be so reluctant to call a doctor, or let Elias make the call, when he was feeling sick. 

Elias almost let out a sigh of gratitude as Darian deleted the remark and instead typed a quick note. 

“Patient has a special house-call agreement with Dr. Darian Verago, ER. Any news or references concerning Zachariah Benedict should be forwarded to him. Elias Fitzwilliam, Patient’s boyfriend, is allowed to make inquiries and requests on his behalf. For any clarification concerning this special agreement, please contact Dr. Darian Verago, ER.”

~ ~ ~  

“Thank you dr. Verago, that’s very kind.” Zach smiled, a faint blush still tinting his cheeks. 

The doctor gave a small nod. “Don’t hesitate to call.” 

Zach nodded in agreement, turning to the side as he felt the need to sneeze build up in him again. Damn this blasted sniffle. New tissue in his hand he cupped his mouth. 

“Ah’tischh-uhh! Hh… Ah’tschjuh!”

“Bless you, Zach.” Darian flashed his white teeth at him. “Maybe you should call Elias and have him wait at home for you with tea and warm blankets.”

Zach smiled back, blowing his nose as quietly as he could. “No need, Dr. Verago, that's exactly what he’ll do. He's a proper mother hen.” Zach's smile widened as a whisper sounded close to his ear. 

“You bet!”

The doctor stood. “I'm glad Zach.” Darian’s voice was genuine. “If you wait here a moment I'll just get your vaccine.”

As the second the door closed behind the doctor, Zachariah was abruptly pulled from his chair and found himself being held tight against a slightly shaking body. Strong arms squeezed him so tightly his ribs bend slightly and warm lips pressed desperate kisses along his brow. Zach squeezed his eyes shut to hold back tears as a choked “I'm so sorry” passed his lips.

TBC…

Edited by Juto

-blinks empty like- that was beautiful. Plot twist to the max, I loved it. That explains his jacked immune system.

Oh my GOD THAT WAS AMAZING. :0000 that twist I give 10/10 would read again and again and again 

Noooooow I can post it! :D Juto, you've already heard my thoughts regarding this, but let me just reiterate; this sequence was so perfect, from Elias being so understanding, to Zach's nervousness, to Darian's spot-on characterization (I've said it before, but offering to be a kid's house-call doctor just on the fly is totally something he would do :)) everything is just so perfect! I loved every word of it!

3 hours ago, Juto said:

“Zach, you have been cancer free for 4 years now and I can see that you have a scheduled check-up at the clinic in 2 months, I… I just wanted to make sure that you're still doing okay? The treatment for your leukaemia, both the one you received at age 3 and the one you received 6 years ago when the illness sadly recurred, is known to cause some disturbances to the patient’s immune system.” He glanced at his screen again before looking back at Zach. “But according to your profile and log, you rarely see a doctor.” Zach tried to keep his composure as green eyes looked at him, soft with empathy. “How are you holding up?”

NOOOOOO!!! ;__; I was so shocked and sad when I read that... NOOO JUTO YOU CAN'T DO THIS!! 
Poor Elias, it must have come as such a shock to him D:
It definitely explains his immune system, but it still makes me so sad :cry:

3 hours ago, Juto said:

“Parents take very little interest. I suspect Patient is more often sick than he lets on. In case of suspected negligence, Child Protective Services should be contacted.”

I'm so glad you didn't make Dr. Verago a lousy doctor xD He seems like quite the opposite :) 

4 hours ago, Juto said:

As the second the door closed behind the doctor, Zachariah was abruptly pulled from his chair and found himself being held tight against a slightly shaking body. Strong arms squeezed him so tightly his ribs bend slightly and warm lips pressed desperate kisses along his brow. Zach squeezed his eyes shut to hold back tears as a choked “I'm so sorry” passed his lips.

Teared up at this ;_;
Have mercy, Juto :laugh: My heart can't take any more of this perfection <3

13 minutes ago, monochrome said:

I'm so glad you didn't make Dr. Verago a lousy doctor xD He seems like quite the opposite :) 

Oh you need to read @SpamKey's A Work In Progress :heart:

OK OK JUTO I THOUGHT I WAS READY AND I WASNT. Gah Elias, my angel it'll be okay....RIGHT JUTO??  At least this time Zach HAD someone there with him unlike I'm sure all the other times he had to go by himself and though I get what a strain that must of put on his parents I can NOT forgive their current actions...you never give up on your kid ever....EVER. :nonono:<_< But he has his angel :heart:

Now if you don't mind me I need to go find Fessor for a hug...

Edited by Kaze wo Hiku

O.O c...cancer!!!???? O.O omg....that it explains so much. Poor guy. 

10 hours ago, Juto said:

hi and welcome. Wow, so you read about 55 of my drabbles in a day?? That's just... Wow :)

Aww hi and thanks ^_^ They are quite addicting, so yeah!

Poor Zack! At least his poor immune system makes sense now... but he'll be okay since he has his angel and now a nice, caring doctor to turn to, right? :cry:

Oh thank goodness that is out in the open now! I've been full to bursting for months with this little tidbit. Whew!

Nicely done @Juto. All entirely believable, right down to Dr. Verago giving out his personal cell number. There are doctors who do that, and more, for their patients. 

I loved Elias's rainbow of emotions from grief to anger to protectiveness and love. You have also demonstrated that Zach is not as frail as some might believe. 

@Kaze wo Hiku, I agree, parents should never give up on their children. If they can't do what is needed, then they need to find someone who can. I am firm believer that it does take a village to raise a child. (Sometimes it takes a city, about the size of New York.) It looks like Zach just added Dr. Verago to his village. 

I guess I need to go read @SpamKey's Work In Progress. :) 

Poor Zach!!!! OH NOES!!! This is so sad!!!!! But so good!!!!!!