Sneeze Fetish Forum

Top Gun (Mav x ice)

RemedyBane

On 11/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, Mygyn said:

*pokes* hope you had a good Thanksgiving just re-reading your stories tonight and wanted to comment to let you know how much I love and appreciate your writing and am super thankful for you as an author! This past summer was insanely difficult for me after losing my job and your ice/Mav/slider stories really helped me not go into a depression! So thank you so much for all you do for the community both here and on AO3! 

11 hours ago, Wolfwings22 said:

*offers fist bump* I wanted to echo what @Mygynsaid and say that these stories have definitely got me through some rough patches too. My Heath has steadily declined to the point where an invasive spinal surgery may be my only option and these drabbles have been such a blessing to me. When I say I read them all the time I am not exaggerating. I start from the beginning and work my way through all of them and then start right back again as many times as i can throughout the day. It’s inspired me to write my own Top Gun fics when I never would’ve been comfortable to do so without first reading your works and talking with you. You’re an amazing writer and person and just thought you may need to hear that 😊

To attempt to type how much these comments mean to me would be impossible. I have never been good with feelings or emotions, especially when I have to write or speak about myself. If I could attempt to explain, it felt like I was given a hug by someone I had no seen in a long time. That kind of warmth and relief you feel once that person is in your arms. That is the level of love and reassurance I received when I read your comments. I hope, that whether it be in my writing or my personal messages to you all, that you someday feel that warmth that I wish to give you. I am so very grateful for your support and kindness over these last few (months? Years? Time is confusing). Thank you all very much! I love you both so very much! If you ever need to talk, you know how to reach me XOXOXOXO I hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

I'm sorry i've been away. Work is nuts, then it was thanksgiving, and now it's hell week at work. SOOOO Here is a pure fluff piece, and if I feel up to it, perhaps it will get a sequel with some... syrup to go with all that fluff.

Rarity

To say that what happened this morning was a rarity, would be an understatement. Even Ice was confused and concerned when he woke up for his morning's run and Slider was not in bed. I repeat, Slider was NOT in bed. Of course, Ice, thought the worst and got up and checked the bathrooms, or any signs of him being ill. That was the only explanation; Slider must have gotten up to be sick, right? No. He didn't seem to be in the house.

Ice didn't want to wake Mav up, as there was no good thing that could come of that. So, he just left the bedroom and called Slider, only to hear the phone ringing from outside of their front door, just as keys entered the lock, and in came Slider with three cups of starbucks coffee and a bag.

"Oh, Thank God," Ice hung up the phone and rubbed his face, "you're ok." 

"Of course I am," Slider came over and kissed Ice, after putting the things down, "Why are you so tense?" 

"I woke up, and you were gone," Ice leaned into his warmth and closed his eyes, "I thought you'd been sick." 

"No," Slider chuckled and held him close, already feeling Ice start to relax, "I just wanted to surprise you with some breakfast." 

Ice hummed and closed his eyes, "you're so sweet." 

"Not as sweet as you," Slider started to kiss and nibble at Ice's neck making him giggle.

"I love you so much," Ice nuzzled into Slider's neck and yawned.

"Still tired?" Slider rubbed his back, "I think breakfast can wait. Let's go back to bed." 

"It's 5:30," Ice sniffed, but made not move to get out of the hug, "I should get ready." 

"For what?" Slider put his hands under Ice's shirt and started to massage his lower back, "It's a saturday. You can sleep in and relax." 

"Gotta run."

"You don't 'gotta' do anything," Slider started to move down until he was grabbing Ice's ass, "Rest days are just as important as workout days," he kissed his temple, "Baby, let's go back to bed, get a few more hours of sleep." 

"Fine," Ice was already half asleep against him, "You're warm." 

"You're cold," Slider kissed the bridge of Ice's nose and then his forehead.

"Eh'kiew-" Ice sneezed into Slider's chest, "kiew'-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew," he sighed and sniffed.

"Bless you," he couldn't help but grin as he picked Ice up and carried him to their bedroom. It was rare that Ice was comfortable enough to take a true day off, and Slider wasn't going to argue.

Mav opened an eye as he felt Ice crawling back into bed. He instantly curled back up against Ice and hugged him, "Why is Sli up? Sick?" 

"No," Slider huffed a laugh and got out of his clothes, crawling into bed and cuddling up behind Ice, kissing the back of his neck, "went to grab breakfast so Ice doesn't have to cook." 

"Oh," Mav closed his eyes, "'s nice." 

"I thought so," Slider joked before pulling the blankets back up and closed his eyes.

-----

They fell asleep until 9, when Mav got up to pee. Ice was still passed out, mouth open, and some drool was on the pillow. It was rare occurrence and worried Mav a little. Ice was pulling more hours for overtime pay and it was clearly taking its toll. Mav had noticed the dark circles under his eyes and he had been worried Ice would crash, but it seemed like he was listening to his body; he'd take that win.

At around 10, Ice moved onto his back, expecting Slider to be there as resistance, but when he hit mattress he opened his eyes with a start, "huh?" He blinked a bit and looked around the room. It was the kind of wake up where you weren't sure of the time, or date, or year; much less where you were.

Slider came in with a heated up coffee that he brought earlier and smiled, "Good morning, gorgeous." 

"What?" Ice yawned and rubbed his face "you're up?" 

"Yeah," Slider sat down and handed him the cup after he sat up, "haven't been up long, though." 

Ice took the coffee and sipped it, only for his eyes to widen and look down at the cup, "What is this?" 

"I think I gave you peppermint mocha? Mav said he wanted to try the new holiday flavors at starbucks so I brought some options."

"What is a mocha?" Ice sipped it again, "is this hot chocolate?" 

"It's coffee," Slider leaned against the headboard and wrapped an arm around him, "with chocolate and peppermint and milk." 

Ice furrowed his brow, not really sure how to feel.

Slider wasn't sure how he would react, half expecting a freak out about drinking something with chocolate, but was surprised to see that Ice went for another sip.

"This is.. odd," Ice moved to lean against Slider, "It doesn't taste like coffee." 

"I think that's the appeal? Coffee without the bitter?" 

"It's.. festive." 

"Is that your polite way of saying you hate it?" Slider smiled as he kissed his cheek.

"I'm having a hard time taking this as coffee. I feel like i'm drinking hot chocolate and im conflicted." 

"Eating Disorder conflicted, or taste bud conflicted?" 

"Both?" Ice handed Slider the cup to put on the table, "It's mostly taste buds. I was expecting bitter." 

"I can make you normal coffee," Slider squeezed his arm.

"No," Ice nuzzled into him, "If I eat another salad or chicken, i'm going to lose my mind. I want sugar and carbs and whatever the hell that gelatinous substance you get in hospitals." 

"Jello?" Slider held him close, "You want carbs?" 

"Is that weird?" 

"No," Slider kissed him all over, "It's normal and healthy, and i'm so fucking proud of you." 

"I don't know why," Ice closed his eyes, "but the voice in my head that gives me the anxiety," he didn't know how to phrase it, "It's.. underwater?"

"That is a perfect place for it to be." 

"I want to try pasta," Ice was falling asleep again, "like on that movie we watched last night? It looked good." 

Slider was so excited and surprised that he was practically buzzing, "Baby, you can have whatever you want forever." 

"Let's just stick with today," Ice chuckled and kissed Slider's cheek, "I don't know why, but I feel... good," he shrugged, "I don't care what I look like, I just want to.. feel good?" 

"That is the sexiest thing you have ever said," Slider started kissing him, "Baby, stop me before I lose myself in you." 

Ice smiled and kissed him back, "No." 

-----------------

Mav's jaw was basically on the floor, "He wants what?"  he was whispering, less Ice get out of the shower and hear him.

"He wants to try pasta," Slider was grinning.

"His biggest fear food?!" 

"Yes," Slider was so tense, trying not to bounce off the walls, "We should order food now before he changes his mind." 

"Ok," Mav was already grabbing his key, "i'm getting some classics, Spaghetti, fettuccine alfredo, ravioli? I don't know, I"m going to ask the chef." 

"Ask the chef!" Slider called as Mav ran out the door.

"Ask what chef?" Ice came out with slightly damp hair and shirtless.

"Ohhh babe," Slider moaned.

"Round 2?" 

"Ohhhh yes," Slider came over and picked him up.

-----------------------

By the time Mav got back to the house, Slider and Ice were making out on the coach, sans clothes. Mav didn't want to interrupt, finding it incredibly hot, and just put the food on the counter. 

Slider could smell the food and broke the kiss, "Mav?" 

"Right here," Mav smirked and waved, "don't let me stop you." 

"Or you could join," Slider pulled Ice in for another kiss but Ice stopped him, "hm?" 

"I'm hungry" Ice stood up and pulled up his pants, much to the boys chagrin, "What did you get?" 

"Well," Mav opened the bag and took out three to-go plates, "Chef said if you're going to try any pasta first, it has to be Carbonara."

"Ok," Ice tentatively walked over and watched as Mav opened the lid. It smelled amazing, but now that he was seeing the pasta, and understanding that he was going to eat it, it scared him. 

"Ice?" 

"Yeah?" Ice looked up at Mav.

"You sure you want to do this?" 

Ice took a breathe and calmed his heart rate, "Yeah," he looked back at Slider, he had just come up to him, "I can try it." 

Slider's eyes were gleaming as he pulled Ice back in for kisses, "I love you. I love you so much." 

"Stop love bombing him and lets eat," Mav already had the plates out and was twirling a bit of carbonara onto his fork, "What? I know you can't eat it all." 

"It.. actually helps that you did that," Ice sat down next to him and looked at the pasta like it was a clif he wasn't about to jump off of, "hard to remember that this won't actually kill me." 

"I doubt the chef put rat poison in it," Mav took another bite, "try it. If you hate it, there is a disgusting amount of vegetables in the fridge." 

Ice took Slider's hand before he grabbed the fork and twirled some onto it. He was acutely aware of how they both stared at him, "not helping, guys." 

Mav was suddenly very interested in the ceiling fan, and Slider was playing with Ice's fingers, more for a distraction for Ice than himself. 

Finally, Ice took a bite and just slowly chewed.

Mav hadn't realized he was holding his breath until his lungs burned. Why wasn't Ice saying anything? Did he swallow it? Was he going to panic?

Ice swallowed it and tilted his head, "Saltier than I thought it would be." 

"Too salty?" Slider was kissing Ice's hand.

"No," Ice twirled more onto his fork and took another bite, surprising them all, "I think I had it in my head that it would be rubbery? Like all of those years watching kids eat pasta and never being able to, I rationalized it to taste like rubber."

"So you didn't feel like you were missing out?" Mav almost looked sad.

"I guess that could be part of it, but I was afraid of craving it? If I thought it was disgusting, then I wouldn't want any of it. That it would be easier to stick to the diet and not crave anything 'bad'," he put up air quotes around bad.

"Do you remember the first time you tried chocolate?" Slider grabbed a fork and ate some too.

"Which time? The Accident or on purpose?'

"What do you mean accident?" Mav raised a brow.

"The first time we kissed," Ice side glanced at Slider, "he had eaten something chocolate, I don't remember what it was. At the time I had no idea, I just wanted to kiss him, and I was.. surprised." 

Mav leaned back into his chair, "probably the best thing you've ever tasted." 

"It was also the first time we had sex," Slider blushed.

"So that's why it's an aphrodisiac," Mav teased and poked Ice's side, "I am so going to use that."

"That was a long time ago," Ice took another fork full, "I'm alright with chocolate now." 

"Doesn't mean it couldn't spice up the bedroom," Mav was already unbuttoning his shirt, "I think I saw some chocolate sauce in the cupboard." 

"I never bought any?" Ice looked confused.

Slider turned away and cleared his throat, "I might have." 

"Why?" Ice raised a brow.

"For.. um," Slider gestured towards Mav and Ice.

"Oh," realization dawned on Ice's face, "I'm down if you are." 

Slider turned very quickly, "you are?" 

"Yeah," Ice stood up, "I'm having a good day, let's see how far this goes." 

Mav was already checking all the cupboards until he found it, "Yes!" 

"Never thought we'd recreate that night," Slider was already breathless just remembering.

"Neither did I," Ice winked and pulled him towards the bedroom, "think you can top it?" 

"OOh," Slider's eyes gleamed, "I'll top somethin'."

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RemedyBane

• Mygyn

• Wolfwings22

• Loverofreading

Awwwww Fluffy!!!  I love that ice actually drank sugary coffee and pasta!!! That’s amazing for him 🥰 thanks for the update!!! I’ll be sending you good vibes that work gets better soon!

I love love love love loved this one! The way that Ice panicked over slider not being in there and comes to find out her was just getting food was so sweet. The fluff in this nearly made me jump for joy (well if I could jump without falling over without my crutches but you get what I mean 😜) I would love another chapter for this if you feel up to it as now my mind will not stop thinking about what could be next. As always amazing and I hope work gets a little easier in these coming weeks!

On 11/28/2022 at 8:32 PM, Mygyn said:

Awwwww Fluffy!!!  I love that ice actually drank sugary coffee and pasta!!! That’s amazing for him 🥰 thanks for the update!!! I’ll be sending you good vibes that work gets better soon!

Not me completely forgetting your request, I am so fucking sorry! AGH! here is the thanksgiving request. I am a monster! I love you! I promise!

On 11/28/2022 at 11:43 PM, Wolfwings22 said:

I love love love love loved this one! The way that Ice panicked over slider not being in there and comes to find out her was just getting food was so sweet. The fluff in this nearly made me jump for joy (well if I could jump without falling over without my crutches but you get what I mean 😜) I would love another chapter for this if you feel up to it as now my mind will not stop thinking about what could be next. As always amazing and I hope work gets a little easier in these coming weeks!

Thank you my love!

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT THANKSGIVING! AGH! SORRYYYYYY 

If your looking for an ice request I haz one for you! How about a thanksgiving cold before he caught cancer back in the 80/90’s and ice is sick and they have to cancel dinner and Mav and Slider end up ordering out after  they burn the turkey! 

(Yes this is an Olivia Rodrigo reference, no it has nothing to do with the plot).

One Step Forward, Three Steps Back

Thanksgiving was the next day and Ice was lowkey stressed. He had been feeling a little funny these past few days and just said his allergies were acting up whenever Slider gave him the look. This would be their first thanksgiving together as a couple; him, Slider, and Maverick. This was the first time he'd be making a proper turkey, having previously gone to SLider's parents house for thanksgiving. This time, he had gone to the store with Slider and Maverick and got everything they needed early enough that the shelves would not be empty, but late enough so that nothing would spoil. He had spent weeks trying to figure out what he needed to do to make this perfect, scouring recipe books for how to make different dishes and how to properly make the turkey until he felt comfortable enough to tweak it. 

He had made a schedule that he planned to keep to make sure everything was done at a certain time so that it would all be hot and ready together. The only thing he made before was some cookies, because Mav wanted to contribute, and Gods know he can't be left alone in the kitchen. 

So, when he woke up the day before with his vision swimming, he was not happy. No, this was not happening. He did not have the flu. This could not be happening, not now. Couldn't his immune system wait until after thanksgiving to crap out on him? He shouldn't be that surprised considering half the Navy on base caught it last week. IT was long overdue.

Instead of getting out of bed and going for a run, he decided to fake it. He just had to make it past thanksgiving. Then he would let this flu run its course. Yeah, he could do that. Maybe there was some food stuff he could make hte day before, like the pies, so it wasn't so crazy tomorrow.

Finally getting out of bed, he put on his running stuff and took his scheduling book, and walked to the park. He just needed Mav and Slider to think he was running. With the amount of sweat on his skin, that wouldn't be a problem. Fuck, it was hot out today. He looked around and noticed people were in long sleeves and jackets, clearly cold. 

"Fuck me.." Ice put his head in his hands, "I don't think I can do this.." 

"Our Iceman?" 

Ice jumped and looked up to see Wolfman, "don't scare me like that." 

"Sorry," He sat down next to him, "I know I haven't been running much lately, but I definitely need some laps in before tomorrow," he laughed and nudged Ice, "Hollywood's family has more food than the military. It's crazy." 

"That sounds like them," Ice put on a soft smile, but really not feeling it." 

"So, what exactly can't you do?" 

Ice took a deep breath, deciding on a lie, "Make all this food in time?"

"And i'm guessing Mav is useless, and Slider is probably handling all the family phone calls?" 

"Yup," Ice shivered.

"Hey," Wolf rubbed his back, "If your dad calls, Slider can handle it. Don't worry about it." 

Ice was grateful for the assumption, "I doubt he'll call, but thanks." 

"Anytime," Wolf smiled, "but really, you're the best of us. If anyone can pull this off, it's you." 

"Thanks," Ice looked down at his schedule, "think any of this could be made the day before?" 

"uhm," Wolf looked over, "Cranberry sauce?"

"oh, yeah," Ice circled it.

"Don't stress," Wolf looked back up at him, "you know Mav and Sli just want to be with you. They don't care if it's the hallmark thanksgiving in magazines. They'd be happy with takeout." 

"Holidays are important to Ron," Ice tapped the schedule against his knee, "It's the least I can do for everything he does for me everyday." 

Wolf grinned, "you are far too romantic for me," he rolled his eyes, "ya know, Wood tries to guilt trip me using you? Why can't you be romantic like Ice, he says. Seriously, stop being perfect," Wolf nudged him again, "for once, just breath. You've got this. You're really pale." 

"Stress," Ice said quickly.

"No shit," Wolf got up, "You're shaking. Go home, rant to Mav, and eat somethin'. It always helps to eat." 

"You sound like Sli." 

"Wise words from a wise guy," He winked before running off, "See you next week!" 

Ice waved him off before leaning back against the bench and sighing. The problem was, that sigh turned into a cough and he had to bend forwards to catch his breath, "shit." He suddenly felt cold and regretted coming out, "damn it."

--------------------------

"Good morning," Slider was leaning against the kitchen counter when Ice walked in, "you look exhausted." 

"Chose a different route," Ice walked closer, putting the schedule down on the table, "I think I freaked myself out a little." 

"Yeah," Slider came over and hugged him, "you're shaking."

"Just freaked out a little," Ice let go and cleared his throat, "I need a shower." 

"And a nap," Slider kissed his forehead, making Ice wince, "You probably gave yourself a panic attack. Shower, food, then nap, ok?" 

"Yeah," Ice was so glad Slider didn't think he was sick, "I'll make breakfast-" 

"nuhuh," Slider lifted Ice's chin and ran his knuckle under Ice's nose, drying some wetness that was there, "I'll make some eggs and coffee. Go shower." 

Ice scrunched his nose up, not liking being touched, but slightly embarrassed that his nose was running and he hadn't even noticed, "Ok." 

"Good," Slider kissed his head before walking into the kitchen.

-----------------

When Ice got into the shower, the steam from the shower tickled his nose, so he brought his hands up, cupping in front of his face, "Etsch-etsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tschiew!" He grimaced at the spray, debating on just blowing his nose in his hands. Thankfully, he locked the bathroom door, so he could do just that without Mav or Sli coming into the bathroom to witness. He thought it was so disgusting, but he was desperate. 

After he was done, he realized just how much better he felt. His head was lighter and breathing was easier. DId he sound stuffed up when he talked to Slider? Did Slider know he was sick? No, he couldn't know. He would be so disappointed. No, he wouldn't be? Would he? I mean, he wouldn't be mad, which he has learned is very rare, but he had to be dissapointed at least? Even if he would never admit it? God, this was so confusing. He wasn't sure what was his past talking or common sense, and of course, the person he wanted to talk about it with, is the person he's confused about.

There was a knock on the bathroom door, and Slider's voice came through, "Ice, you ok?" 

Ice snapped out of it and wondered how long he'd been spiraling, "Y-yeah! Why?" 

"Just checking," There was no sound of footsteps, meaning Slider had intentions of waiting there.

"Shit," Ice mumbled before turning off the shower and taking a towel before unlocking the door and opening it, "I wasn't doing anything." 

"Well, I would hope you were showering, which is something," Slider kissed his lips and smiled, "just worried about you, baby." 

"Trust me," Ice huffed, "that's behind me." 

"That's all I wanted to hear," Slider took Ice's towel and started to dry him off, giving him kisses as he did so.

----------

Mav was about to go outside to work on his bike, when he saw Ice sitting on the couch, bobbing silently into his arm, clearly in the throws of a sneezing fit, but stifling them to oblivion. He didn't like that at all, so he put his things down and walked over, sitting down on the couch and waiting for Ice to be done. 

Ice made a soft noise in the back of his throat when he was done and for a split second, looked miserable before seeing Mav and changing his expression, "hi." 

"Bless you," Mav moved to lay on top of Ice's legs, head in his chest, cuddling him, "does your throat hurt?" 

"No," Ice said a bit too quickly, "Why?" 

"Because you aren't supposed to stifle unless your throat hurts, yet here you are, sneezing silently." 

"Oh," Ice was hoping he wouldn't be caught, "sorry, didn't want to make noise."

"Which is the habit we are trying to break, remember?" 

"Yeah," Ice sniffed and rubbed his nose, "I remember." 

"Are you ok?" 

"Why wouldn't I be?" Ice scrunched his nose up.

"Just a question," Mav kissed his stomach, taking note of Ice's non-answer, worried, "are you waiting for the pie crust to be done?" 

"They need to chill for two hours. It's barely been 5 minutes."

"Oh," Mav kissed up his chest, "that's a lot of time." 

"Not really-" Ice was silenced when Mav came up and kissed him, "I thought you wanted to fix your bike?" 

"I do," Mav kissed him again, "but, I also want you to relax." 

"I am relaxed." 

"Tell that to your abs," Mav grinned against his lips, "you're all tense. Let me kiss the tension away or do you want tea?" 

"uhm," Ice was starting to relax, "while I love this-" 

"Tea," Mav kissed him again, "Slider said you were stressed out. I can feel it."

"Just want everything to be perfect." 

"It will be," Mav hopped off of him, "you'll be here. That already makes it perfect." 

-------------------------

After the pies were out of the oven, Ice thought he could take a break and rest on the couch. He didn't plan on falling asleep, but there he was, past out on the couch, mouth hanging open.

Slider was the first to see him asleep and grabbed a blanket, placing it over him and kissing his forehead, frowning at the heat pouring off of him. He had a sinking suspicion that Ice was sick, but with everything going on, he just assumed Ice was stressed and spiraling towards his holliday mania. He was never good during the holidays, tending to revert back to old habits, based on how holidays were back in his family home. It wasn't unheard of for Ice to be a little too detail oriented and panicked during these times. Now, adding the flu to it, and Slider's heart was entirely shattered. 

When Mav saw Ice asleep on the couch, with a blanket and an icepack on his head, he knew. Slider was in the kitchen, studying Ice's notes intensely and staring at some cranberries like they were his enemy, "What are you doing?" he whispered.

"Trying to take some stuff off of Ice's plate," Slider gestured to the recipes, "problem is, I have no idea why there are 5 recipes of cranberry sauce open. What does that mean?" 

"You know Ice, he probably uses them as competition." 

"How?" Slider rubbed his face, "I knew I should have paid more attention to my mom's cooking." 

"What is a teaspoon and how much is that? is that like a toddler's spoon?" 

"No," Slider sighed, "I can do this. I'm just going to choose one, and hope I don't screw up." 

"What can I do?"

"Get out of the kitchen," Slider sighed, "try to keep Ice asleep. If we're lucky, he'll sleep through the night and be too sick to get up." 

"That's an awful thing to wish for." 

"Do you want Ice to try to cook and pass out over a hot stove?" 

Mav looked horrified, "ok.. sleep duty it is." 

----------------------

Of course, their plan backfired. The boys fell asleep around midnight, cranberries done, but now Ice was left to his own devices. At his usual time, Ice woke up at 5, but took a shower instead of running, and immediately started cooking. He felt like shit, and that was an understatement. His skin was clammy, his head was pounding, and his hands would not stop shaking. He had been up for two hours before Slider woke up and joined him in the kitchen.

Knowing better than to point out Ice's state, he just kissed his head, "What can I do?" 

"uhm," Ice's brain was so foggy that he could barely think, "Take the turkey out of the fridge, and let it sit at room temperature. It still needs to brine, so leave it in the bag." 

"Got it," Slider did that quickly, not wanting to leave Ice alone long, "Now what?" 

'Uhm," Ice was unusually out of it, "I um.. the.." Ice was gesturing losely, with such little distinction that even Slider didn't know what he was trying to say, "The.. hm." Ice's vision swam as his legs gave out.

"Ok," Slider caught him before he could fall far, hold him close to his chest, "it's ok. It's ok," Slider picked him up and walked towards the bedroom, "It's ok, don't fight it," Slider kissed his forehead, as he noticed Ice was fighting to stay awake, " It's ok. You just need to take a little nap. We can figure it out after, ok? Just rest." Slider felt a tear roll down his face as Ice's eyes closed as he went fully limp. Instead of letting himself cry, he just tucked Ice into bed and rubbed his chest until he felt like Ice was fully under.

Once Ice was completely passed out, Slider shook Mav awake and shushed him, "Ice passed out." 

"Shit," Mav turned over to look at the very pale and sweaty Ice, "he's really bad." 

"Yeah," Slider pushed some hair out of Ice's face, "I told you Holiday Ice broke my heart." 

"I believe you. I did then and I do now," Mav got out of bed and got the thermometer. When he put it to Ice's head and read the temperature, he felt like throwing up himself, "103." 

"Yeah," Slider's heart clenched when Ice coughed in his sleep, "aw baby." 

"I'll get the icepack."

"Bring three." 

-----------------------

Maverick was sitting and watching Ice sleep, waiting for Ice to come back to consciousness, as he usually came back around after an hour, when he did.

Ice moved to his side, and just as his brain recognized the move, his eyes shot open and he sat upright so damn fast, you could see his mind catch up with him and the dizziness resurface.

"Woah, hey," Mav came over and put a hand on his chest, "Lay back down-"

"The turkey," Ice was breathing hard, "I didn't.. the food-" 

"Slider is handling it," Mav hated the fear in his face.

"No," Ice shook his head and started to get out of bed, despite Mav's protest, "No.. I have to do it.."

"Why?" Mav was trying to keep him from moving.

"Can't disappoint him.. It's a holiday.. I need to," he was swaying dangerously and Mav had to grab him to keep him steady.

"Kazansky, you're about to pass out again." Mav realized now that using his last name was a terrible idea, just by the look on Ice's face.

"It's not done," Ice was clearly panicking, "He'll be home soon. Can't be late.. Have to.. start.. "

"No, no," Mav hated the fear and panic that was setting in, " Stop it, Ice. No one's coming home? We're all here? what are you talking about?" 

"hmm no," Ice pushed Mav with more force than he thought he had in him, and sent Mav stepping back a little to keep upright, and dashed towards the kitchen, and mumbled to himself, "three hours.. first the turkey.. stuffing, then turkey. Have an hour.. then no.. that's not enough time-" 

Slider heard him coming and walked out of the kitchen, instantly grabbing Ice and pulling him into a hug, "hey, hi," Slider was rubbing his back, trying to calm him down, "Everything is being taken care of. No one's upset. No one's coming. It's ok. you're safe.. You're safe." 

"No," Ice trie to get out but Slider was at least ten times as strong as he was, "No.. can't screw this up." 

"You haven't screwed anything up," Slider kissed his head, "you're dad isn't coming. It's just us. It's just you, me, and Maverick. It's ok." 

"I ruined it," Ice started hyperventilating, "The plan.. it's a holiday.." 

"What do you mean, baby?" Slider wasn't used to this argument, "What about the holiday?"

"It's a holiday," Ice had his fists around a bit of Slider's shirt and was holding it tight, "you love holidays. I can't mess this up.. I had a plan." 

Mav was just watching and felt like someone stabbed his heart when he saw Slider's face change. He knew immediately that Slider knew what this was about, "Ice?" Mav never normally spoke, but he knew Slider was too shocked to speak, "Are you afraid of disappointing Ron?" He hated the question the second he asked it.

"I can't disappoint you," Ice started crying softly, "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." 

Ron just started crying and held Ice tighter, "T-huh." He tried to speak but his throat felt like it was full of cotton, "God.. Tom." 

"I'm so sorry," Tom was starting to cough, "I'm so sorry." 

"God, no," Slider's hands were shaking, "you.. you could never..never.." Slider was having a hard time keeping himself together, "You could never ever ever disappoint me."

Mav came closer and put his hands over Slider's, trying to stop the shaking.

"I couldn't do it," Ice was freaking out, "You wanted thanksgiving, and I ruined it. I did everything wrong.. I wasn't strong enough." 

Slider felt like he was going to throw up, "God.. No, I'm so sorry." 

"What?" Ice wasn't used to someone apologizing to him when he was apologizing.

Slider swallowed down bile as he let go and took Ice's face in his hands, "I am so sorry I put this pressure on you. I'm so sorry I made you fear me." 

"No-" 

Slider wiped Ice's tears away, "I'm so sorry. You could never disappoint me. Tom, you are perfect. I don't need anything from you- no that's not what I meant-" 

Ice was spiraling, "You're never mad, and I know you're not mad, but you have to be disappointed. You love holidays, and i've ruined it. You have to be disappointed in me."

"God no, never," Slider had a stream of tears now, "of course i'm disappointed,-" he saw Ice's face and the fear across it and he wanted to kill himself, "In myself for ever making you think that I could ever be upset with you."

"What?" Ice was starting to breathe again.

"Baby," Slider knelt down, hands now going to Ice's hips, "Love of my life, I hate that you were afraid to disappoint me. I hate that I made you feel like you couldn't tell me that you felt so sick. I hate myself. I could never hate you. I could never be disappointed in you." He caught Ice as he half fell to his knees, "I'm suppose to be your safe person. I'm so sorry." 

"No," Ice was shaking his head, crying harder, "you didn't do anything." 

"That's the problem, baby," Slider pulled him closer, "I didn't see you struggling." 

"I didn't want you to," Ice wiped his face, "I'm just making this worse." 

"Never," Slider rubbed his eyes, "god, I love you so much. My heart aches seeing you like this," he rubbed his chest, "my perfect holiday, is just being with you. I make a big deal of all this nonsense, because I wanted you to have happy memories based on the holidays. Presents under the tree, baking cookies together, watching cheesy holiday movies with hot chocolate and mini marshmallows." 

Ice was staring at Slider's shaking hands, terrified. He'd never seen Slider this worked up.

"I wanted you to know what it's like to feel normal and loved. I wanted you to have the american, white picket fence, suburban, happy family life that you didn't get as a kid," Slider pulled Ice closer and put his forehead to Ice's, "I love you more than I have ever loved anyone in my life. You are the only reason I get up in the morning sometimes. You're the reason i'm excited to go to work everyday. You're the reason I feel at home. You do so much for me, every day, every minute, every second, that I just wanted  you to feel that way too." 

"I do," Ice touched Slider's cheeks, brushing the tears away with his thumbs, "I really do."

Mav sat down next to both of them, "I know there's always that voice in the back of your mind that tries to guess what everyone is thinking, but yours is a little broken. Mine used to be like that too, until I met Goose. I assumed everyone hated me, even if they proved otherwise. It's that fear of rejection, for me. You were brought up to have to be this textbook definition of perfection or else you'd be hurt. Your brain is still thinking under that assumption. Slider always says exactly what he's thinking. Even if it's an insult," he got them both to laugh a little, "when he says he could never be disappointed in you, I know that he means that."

Ice sniffed and sat back, rubbing his face, "God, I hate my brain." 

"I hate it too," Mav came over and kissed Ice's temple, 'It's too smart for its own good. Gets me in a lot of trouble with the navy." 

"Pretty sure that's your own brain's fault," Slider still felt incredibly queasy.

Mav looked up at him and frowned, "you look green." 

Slider nodded before getting up and running to the bathroom.

Mav held Ice and let him lean into him, "Slider is so damn in love with you , the idea of hurting you literally made him sick." 

"I'm sorry-"

"None of that," Mav kissed his head, "you had a panic attack with a serious fever to boot." 

"I made Ron cry." 

"No," Mav kissed his head, "you didn't do anything wrong. Sli is just upset with himself. That happens. He can't stomach that you were afraid of him for even a millisecond." 

"I'm not afraid of him," Ice sat up and stood up, still dizzy, "I promise, I'm not."

Slider came back in, looking a little better, "Not what?" 

"Afraid of you," Ice grabbed Slider's shirt again, "I'm not, I promise." 

"Oh, I know," Slider hugged him again, "bad anxiety attack, it's ok. My heart just broke for you, it's ok." 

"I don't want your heart to break." 

"It's ok," Slider rubbed his back, "I love you. You're allowed to break my heart. Your pain is mine, remember?" 

"Yeah," Ice relaxed a little, "I'm sorry." 

"It's ok," Slider picked him up and held him close, "I just want you to be ok." 

"I'm not ok." 

"I know," Slider walked back to bed and crawled in with him, "I love you. We are going to figure this out together." 

------------------------

Slider and Ice didn't move, staying tangle together the entire nap, only to be awoken by the fire alarm.

"Maverick!" Slider covered Ice's ears as he yelled, "are you alive?!" 

Ice whimpered and buried his face in Slider's chest, beeping too loud.

"Alive!" Mav came in as the alarm stopped, "I burned the turkey." 

Slider looked at the clock, "we've been asleep for 30 minutes, Mav." 

"yeah, I don't know what happened." 

Slider just started laughing, which confused the shit out of Ice.

Mav looked at Ice, "see, I fuck up every day and he's not disappointed in me." 

"Oh, I can't wait to find out what you did," Slider got up, "oh, it smells so wrong." 

Ice got up, looking like death itself and held onto Slider's arm, "I'm nervous." 

"How bad could it be?" Slider kissed Ice's hand before walking with him to the kitchen.

Mav had the turkey on the counter, still smoking.

"Oh, no," Ice pinched the bridge of his nose, "Honey, that's a plastic bag." 

"I thought it was a baking bag?!" 

"No," Ice sighed, "you were supposed to take the turkey out of the bag. It's not oven safe."

"Yeah, this isn't savable is it," Mav looked at Ice.

"Nope," he sniffed and cleared his throat, "unless you now have the ability to digest plastic."

"I'll go get some takeout," Mav rubbed the back of his head, "go back to sleep." 

Ice moaned and started to sag, "floor.. is fine." He sat down on the ground, just as Slider went to grab him, looking ready to pass out, "it's cold." 

"Oh, honey," Slider touched his forehead again, "Mav, get some heavy duty medication when you're out." 

"Yeah, already on the list," Mav frowned, "you ok down there?" 

"you sound.. underwater," Ice giggled a bit and leaned into Slider, "swosh." 

"Delirious, check," Mav grabbed his keys, "i'm coming home with Meds first!"

"Talk to the pharmacist!" 

"I know what to do!" Mav ran out the door.

By the time the door closed, Ice was passed out on the floor.

"Shit, Tom," Slider picked him up, "I thought we were making progress?" He kissed his forehead before walking to the bedroom, "Whelp.. one step forward and three steps back, as they say." 

I haven’t even read this update yet but 😒 don’t talk bad about yourself friend life is crazy during the holiday season so be kind to yourself! You are not a monster!

My gosh as someone who’s parents laid into me when I was sick on the holidays (usually Christmas because of the stress) I felt this in my soul!!! You perfectly captured how the fear of disappointment can be crippling and I absolutely needed this fic in my life! Always adore the updates and talking with you as you’ve made these last couple months actually tolerable. Story was a billion out of ten!

On 12/5/2022 at 7:02 AM, Mygyn said:

I haven’t even read this update yet but 😒 don’t talk bad about yourself friend life is crazy during the holiday season so be kind to yourself! You are not a monster!

XOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOOXOX

On 12/5/2022 at 9:08 AM, Wolfwings22 said:

My gosh as someone who’s parents laid into me when I was sick on the holidays (usually Christmas because of the stress) I felt this in my soul!!! You perfectly captured how the fear of disappointment can be crippling and I absolutely needed this fic in my life! Always adore the updates and talking with you as you’ve made these last couple months actually tolerable. Story was a billion out of ten!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXO 

The Beginning

Ice knew he should have stayed home today. He felt like Maverick had run him over with a plane. His body couldn't decide if he was hot or cold, vertigo kept hitting at the worst possible moments, and he was pretty sure everyone was underwater with how strange they sounded. Thankfully, he was just supposed to go over some reports then work on his plane. The engine had blown after a bird strike that came out of nowhere, and he was not looking forward to dealing with the bird corpse. 

He walked over to his plane and was confused to see a suspicious lack of blood on the plane. Was he looked at the right plane? This was his, right? He looked around and saw the discarded engine in the corner, blood and guts and all. 

"Who?" 

"Thought I'd save you the trouble," Maverick came over and rubbed the back of his head, "Considering I didn't see the birds coming-" 

"No one got hurt," Ice sniffed and looked up towards the ceiling, "Thanks, Mitchell." 

"Least I could do," he walked over and saw how flushed Ice was, "Are you ok?" 

"Fine," Ice walked passed him, not really acknowledging the comment and started to clean his plane by hand.

"I promise I got it all off- "

"Don't bother," Slider came out of nowhere, "He'll do it anyway, otherwise he won't sleep." 

Maverick sighed, "Can't he just trust me?" 

"He does," Slider handed Maverick his bag before he took off his jacket, "It's anxiety. Trust me, it's not personal." 

"You sure?" Mav raised a brow, "He made it very clear that he doesn't like me." 

"He does it to me too," Slider rolled his eyes, "he doesn't like you. But this has nothing to do with you." 

"Thanks," Mav said sarcastically before handing Slider his bag back, "What can I do?" 

"Do?" Slider looked confused.

"I don't want him to hate me." 

"He doesn't hate you," Slider raised a brow, "why do you care all of a sudden? Just a few days ago you were more than happy to fight him at the drop of a hat." 

"Yeah, friendly rivalry. Doesn't mean I hate him." 

"Not Hate," Slider put a hand up, "So what, you want to be buddies now?" 

"I don't know," Mav shrugged, "thought things changed after...you know." 

Slider took a breathe before looking over towards Ice, hoping he wasn't hearing him, "He meant what he said. You can be his wingman anytime. But, baby steps. You drilled a hole in that ice heart of his. Just give him some time to thaw, ok?" 

"That was waaaay too many ice puns." 

"It's way more true that I'd like it to be," Slider turned again, "Today's just not a good day." 

"How can you tell? He's just as prickly and aggravating as he always is."

"Because I know my pilot," Slider was not about to tell Maverick that he spent the night rubbing Ice's back as he threw up for hours.

"Can I at least help him clean it? Again.." 

"Maybe next time," Slider started slightly when Ice moved just a bit too fast and he thought he was going to fall.

"Woah, why are you so jumpy?" Mav looked from Ice to Slider, "you look about to jump out of your shoes."

"He's always jumpy," Ice piped up, making Slider wince, "He doesn't like anyone standing on the wing without a spotter." 

"And you are stressing me out," Slider ran towards him and stood by the wing, "Will you please let me do that." 

"No," Ice sat down on the wing and jumped down, used to Slider catching him and placing his hands on Slider's shoulders.

"ok?" Slider whispered as Ice landed, still refusing to let him go.

Maverick just watched, more confused than before. This seemed more intimate that he thought Ice was capable of. 

Ice cleared his throat and stood up straighter, "yeah." 

"You look pretty green," Mav spoke up, earning a glare from Slider.

"hm," Ice shook his head and turned away from Maverick.

Slider leaned in, "are you going to be sick?" 

"No," Ice didn't look convinced, making Slider nervous. 

"Let's go see the doc," Slider was rubbing his lower back, "please, Tom. I know you're running a fever." 

"Last night was a fluke-" 

"Hey," Slider moved so that he was in front of Ice and put his hands on his face, frowning at the heat, "No one's upset with you. It's just me. Please, take a sick day, and let me take care of you." 

Maverick walked over and brought a garbage can, actually concerned that Ice was going to puke.

"Mitchel, I'm fine." 

"Tell that to your face," Maverick put a hand on his back and frowned at how hard he flinched, instantly putting his hands up, "Woah, ok.. Not touching." 

Ice put his hand over his mouth and turned away.

"Shit, Kazansky. I know you're a stubborn ass, but this is ridiculous." 

"Maverick shut up before I-" 

Ice had fallen to the floor and threw up in the sewer grate. 

"Oh, honey," Slider knelt down and rubbed his back, "It's ok." 

"Jesus," Maverick grabbed a towel and threw it at Slider, "I'm calling a medic." 

"Don't," Slider was glaring so hard it actually scared Mav a little.

"What is going on-Jesus Kazansky!" Jester came out and witness another bout, "Kerner, get him to a medic, now! Bring a trash can before he throws up all over the base." 

Slider felt Ice tense up, eyes not looking at anything, "Tom, don't. It's ok. Stay with me." 

"What's going on?" Mav sounded concerned.

"It's ok," Slider knew it was going to happen regardless of what he said so he switched tactics, "it's ok. I've got you. Just let it happen," Slider wrapped his arms around him and pulled him close to his chest, watching as Ice's eyes rolled upwards and go limp against him.

"Get a stretcher!" Jester yelled at some random men, clearly freaking out about this.

"He's ok," Slider picked him up, "It um..I've got him." 

"Jesus Christ, Kerner." 

"I'll carry him to sick bay, sir," Slider didn't look like he was struggling at all and even Jester looked really surprised.

"And he was going to clean the wings," he grabbed Slider's and Ice's bags and followed Slider, "you guys call me reckless." 

"You are," Slider held Ice close and when he was sure no one was watching, he kissed his forehead.

"Did you just-" 

"Shut it, Maverick," Slider held him close to his chest and focused on the rise and fall of Ice's chest.

"Does he... do this alot?" 

"Do what?" 

"Faint?" 

"Oh," Slider wasn't really sure how to answer that, so he didn't, "Go run ahead and tell them Ice is out."

"but-" 

"Go!" 

----------------------

Slider sat by Ice's bedside the whole time, just waiting for Ice to wake back up. When he did, the doctors scolded him for coming in sick, and sent him home. It was a tense ride home. Ice slipping into old habits, assuming that when he got home, he'd get the snot beaten out of him, instead of the safe, warm, and inviting nature of a bed and his boyfriend there to spoon feed him soup and kiss him better. It shattered Slider's heart.

What did surprise Slider, was how willing Ice was to let Slider carry him into the house. He put him on the couch and kissed him before going to the bathroom to start a bath. The afternoon went by rather quickly, Ice sleeping on and off, as Slider tried to cool him down with a cold cloth and some ice. It felt like Ice's fever was just climbing and climbing regardless of what he did. 

Suddenly there was a knock on the door, much to Slider's chagrin, "Who the hell?" 

He walked over to the door and frowned when he saw Maverick on the porch, carrying a takeout bag, "Did you get lost?" 

Mav rolled his eyes and pushed himself through the door, "No, I came to check on our sickie." 

"He's asleep and grumpy," That last part wasn't true, but he hoped that an angry Kazansky might just scare off Maverick.

"He's always grumpy," Mav started to unpack the bag and showed Slider his haul, "I figured chicken soup would be best, and asked them to pack some broth in case he wasn't ready for solids," he then handed Slider a box, "Got you some solid food, though." 

Slider was speechless, "I.. um.. wh..uhm." 

"I'll take that as a thank you," he grabbed something out of his jacket pocket and put it on the counter, "Also bought some tylenol. I figured sickbay gave you something stronger, but I thought it was the safest medicine option."

"You didn't have t-

"I know," Mav shrugged, "But I wanted to. He's my wingman, afterall." 

"yeah," Slider looked apprehensive, but then he heard coughing and ran into the bedroom.

Maverick was close behind and felt like he was seeing Slider for the first time. The way that Slider carressed Ice's face and helped him sit up, calming telling him that it was ok and smoothing his sweaty hair back. It was all very... sweet? He wasn't aware that Slider could be kind, much less...loving.

"Hey, no," Slider softly chastised as Ice tried to push him away, "baby, look at me, it's me, ok?" 

Baby? Maverick was now very confused.

"Tom, Ice," Slider was trying to get his attention, as the fever was clearly making him confused, "Baby, it's ok." 

Mav wanted to ask a million questions, but he couldn't get himself to make a sound, afraid to ruin the moment.

"Shh," Slider put a hand on Ice's forehead, palm side down, "aw, baby. You've got a really bad fever, there. We gotta get that down, huh." 

"Sli-?" Ice sounded so weak and scared.

"Yeah, it's me, honey," Slider smiled and leaned closer, kissing his forehead, cheek, then lips, "remember me?" 

Ice made an upset noise and very lightly, perhaps the best he could do, slapped Slider's hip, "why would you ask that?" 

"Just checking how far gone this fever made ya," he grinned again and leaned into to kiss him before Ice put a hand over Slider's mouth, "hmph?" 

"Sick." 

"Thanks for telling me," Slider said when Ice moved his hand, only to pick it back up and kiss every finger, "I'm still going to kiss you." 

"No idea why," Ice looked over at Mav and jumped.

"What-?" SLider turned and jiped too, "Fuck, Mitchel." 

"You let me in." 

"I thought you stayed in the kitchen." 

"I get it," Mav teased, "Hard to see anyone else when Ice is in the room," he winked.

Ice looked mortified and laid back down, pulling the duvet over his head.

"Ya know, I had a feeling you guys were together, but Goose told me I was crazy."

A pillow was thrown and Mav ducked, "shut up." 

"You guys are really cute together." 

"I will cough on you," Ice grabbed Slider from under the covers and pulled him closer.

"I'm right here, baby," Slider pulled the blanket down and kissed Ice's forehead, "I think the cats out of the bag." 

"I hate cats." 

"I know," he kissed him again, "I'm still going to kiss you, regardless of where Maverick is." 

"Ugh," Ice pulled the blanket back over and started coughing.

"So, if you're both taking a makeout break, I brought you some soup." 

Ice didn't move for a second, then pulled the blanket back down, staring at Maverick, "you got me soup?" 

"Why is that so hard to believe?" Mav put his hands on his hips, "And it's not poisoned by the way." 

"Wasn't going to suggest." 

"Do you want it or not?" 

Ice looked really conflicted. On one hand, he couldn't sound ungrateful, but on the other hand, he didn't want to accept help.

"He'd love some," Slider answered for him, "I'll help you heat it up." 

Ice took Slider's hand, not wanting to be left alone.

"Three minutes," Slider kissed Ice's forehead, "it's ok to ask for help or recieve it anyway." 

Mav was very confused but just left to go heat it up. 

Once the two of them were alone, he asked Slider some of the questions that plagued him, "why did you thank Ice for telling you he was sick." 

Slider was ready for these questions and lied, "I thank him for breathing all the time. I'm just a very thankful person."

"Why did you keep telling him it was ok? He wasn't panicking." 

"I see your bedside manor must be awful," Slider rolled his eyes, "That's like.. 101 stuff."

"Did he have an abusive family?" 

This one stopped Slider in his tracks, almost dropping the bowl he was grabbing from the cabinet, "What?" 

"Did he have an abusive family," Mav looked at Slider and noticed the panic on his face, "I mean, he's so rigid and has to be perfect, not to mention how he has to do everything himself because he's so anxious all the time. It sounds like he's waiting for some ball to drop." 

"No idea what you're talking about," Shit fuck shit, Mav was more observant than he thought.

"I know you probably can't tell me because of some blood pact you both made, but it makes sense. It would also explain why you're so protective of him. How you hug him all the time and watch him like a hawk. Like you're trying to hug the anxiety away, before he shatters." 

Slider was so thrown by this analysis that he misjudged the counter and ended up putting the bowl through the counter, shattering it and subsequently cutting himself, "Shit." 

Ice heard the shattering and hopped out of bed, running into the kitchen, "Ron?" 

"I'm ok," Ron frowned when Ice took a dish towel and wrapped it around the gash on Slider's hand, pulling it tight to stop the bleeding, "I"m really ok. I wasn't paying attention-" 

"i've got it," Mav grabbed the dust pan from under the sink.

"No, I-" 

"No," Slider stopped Ice from trying to take control and wrapped him in a hug, not letting him look at the mess, "It was my fault. Mav is going to clean it up. Just breathe. You're shaking." 

This confirmed Mav's suspicions. He knew that look. That fear of the parents coming home to something broken. Ice had to be perfect or he'd probably be abused, verbally or physically. Nothing could be out of place, which explained why his apartment was spotless. He wasn't allowed sick days, which is why he came to work and passed out from exhaustions and fever. He was probably told that resting was weakness, which explains why Ice always seemed to be doing something.

"You're bleeding," Ice broke the silence and pulled out of Slider's grip, "I'll grab the first aid." 

Ice was gone before Slider could say something, and just sat down on the counter, "Thanks for cleaning it up, Mav." 

"Yeah, no problem," Mav felt this aggressive need to hug Ice and tell him how amazing he was. He wanted to hurt whoever hurt Ice. This must be what Slider feels like every day. No wonder he was so affectionate with him. The man probably didn't get any growing up; which also explains Mav's first impression of him: an unfeeling, perfect, beautiful, prick.

Ice came back and started to clean off Slider's wound, "It's not deep enough to need stitches." 

"it's just a cut, baby," Slider wrapped an arm around Ice's waist, "I'm going to live, I promise." 

"I need your hands in working order." 

"of course," Slider kissed his forehead, "how else am I going to hold you." 

Mav smiled, that was the stupidest, most sappy, but cutest thing he'd ever heard.

"Shut up and let me bandage your hand." 

"Never," Slider kissed his lips, "How will you know how much I adore you, if I shut up?" 

"You're making me dizzy."

"That's your vertigo and 103 fever," Slider did tighten his grip though.

"Are you going to faint again?" Mav moved to stand behind him.

"Nope," Slider smiled when Ice looked at the bandaged hand, "kiss it?" 

"Kiss what?" Ice furrowed his brow.

"Kiss by bandage." 

"Why?" 

Mav tried not to feel like his heart was broken. Was Ice admitting that he'd never had his mother kiss a 'boo boo' away? Was he really that starved for affection?

"To make it feel better," Slider held his hand up.

Was Slider doing all of this to trying to fix those pivotal childhood memories? That love makes 'boo boos' go away. That it's ok to be sick and want affection. That touch can be a good thing.

"Ok?" Ice kissed his bandage, "Better?" 

"So much," Slider kissed his lips, "Thanks for humoring me." 

"Always," Ice rested against Slider's chest when he stood up.

"Alright, Ice. Back to bed before you faint," Slider picked him up, "Sickies don't get to walk." 

"My legs aren't broken." 

"Yup," Slider kissed the side of his face, "Definitely broken. Right Maverick?" 

"Looks pretty broken to me," Mav smiled, "can't risk putting weight on them"

"You're both insane," Ice closed his eyes and fell asleep against Slider.

-------------

Mav didn't expect to be there an hour, much less all night, but the second Ice was asleep in bed, he found himself reluctant to leave him. It felt like he was suppose to be here. Like he was suppose to see this side of Ice, if not to understand him, but to sympathize with him. 

"He used to be worse, ya know," Slider was laying in bed, Ice's head on his chest, "But he's getting better. Just, give him time." 

"Yeah," Mav took off his shoes and sat down on the bed, "I'm sorry I was such a jerk." 

"Don't be," Slider kissed Ice's head when he coughed, "Ice is the best thing that's ever happened to me, but he's been through a lot. He never had a childhood and his heart has been shattering so badly that I don't think I can fully repair it, not matter how many pieces I find. I wouldn't trade this for the world, but if you want to back out, I wouldn't blame you." 

"Why would I back out?" 

"I know you have an idea of what he's been through, but it doesn't even scratch the surface." 

"I don't care," Mav looked down at Ice's flushed face, "I want to be here."

"If you do stay," Slider took a deep breathe, "promise me something?" 

"Anything." 

"Don't give up on him," he looked down at Ice, tears forming in his eyes, "he's so worth it, Mav." 

"Hey, He hasn't given up on me. Least I can do is return the favor." 

Slider smiled slightly, eyes never leaving Ice's face, "I love him so much." 

"I know," Mav smiled, "I promise, ok? I promise I won't give up on him." 

Slider nodded and patted the space beside him, silently inviting Mav to crawl in bed with them, "He gets really bad fevers." 

Mav crawled in bed, "So i've noticed." 

Slider huffed a small laugh, "you haven't seen shit. This was the calm before the storm." 

"Good thing I brought an umbrella," Mav joked.

Slider sighed and turned off the light, "don't make me regret this." 

This was so good as always! Seeing the beginning of their relationship together and Maverick getting a feel for how Ice is with Slider and not how he’s used to melted my heart! 

🥰 I absolutely love your writing style!! I just have to say that YOU are an amazing writer/author and I always look forward to more of your Iceman fics. The way you have the characters down so well makes the stories even more compelling. 😉😚😚😚Thank you so much and looking forward to more. 

- ok I’m going to go back in my corner now 🫣🫣

Edited by Zane
On 12/14/2022 at 9:26 AM, Wolfwings22 said:

This was so good as always! Seeing the beginning of their relationship together and Maverick getting a feel for how Ice is with Slider and not how he’s used to melted my heart! 

Thank you!!

On 12/16/2022 at 6:10 PM, Zane said:

🥰 I absolutely love your writing style!! I just have to say that YOU are an amazing writer/author and I always look forward to more of your Iceman fics. The way you have the characters down so well makes the stories even more compelling. 😉😚😚😚Thank you so much and looking forward to more. 

- ok I’m going to go back in my corner now 🫣🫣

Wait! come back! Don't go back to your corner! I swear I don't bite lol! XOXOXOXO THank you so much for your lovely comment! It truly means a lot to me xoxooxoxoxoxo! 

The Hearth

Ice felt the panic before his body did. It felt like all day that he was waiting for some ball to drop and it was dangerously close to falling. He had no idea what was triggering it and that freaked him out even more. His hands were beginning to shake and he realized he couldn't continue to write this letter as it was dangerously close to being illegible. HIs throat was starting to feel tight and his eyes begin to sting with the threat of tears. Soon his chest would feel tight and breathing would be much harder than it should be. 

He got up out of his chair slowly, but it felt way too fast for his liking. It felt like the whole world was underwater and he was struggling against the current to stay upright and move against it. The walls seemed to move and hallways seemed never ending. Eventually he made it to their living room and was desperately looking for Slider. He tried to speak, but all that came out was a whimper; a sound he'd never made before. He felt like he was unable to take a breathe. 

Thankfully, Slider somehow heard him from the next room and ran out, seeing Ice clutching his chest and rubbing it hard like he was going into shock. When he reached him he grabbed his waist and pulled him into a hug; expecting Ice to push him away or fight it as the panic set in, but he was used to it.

What he didn't expect was for Ice to suddenly gasp, like he finally surfaced, and was desperate for air. His hands gripped Slider's shirt as he suddenly started sobbing and coughing against his chest, finally feeling safe enough to react. 

Slider just held him tightly and kissed his head between rocking him back and forth. He had never heard Ice cry like this, so open, so unafraid, so raw. It was heartbreaking, but also such a relief. Ice was finally letting his emotions out and it was like a dam had broken. 

Ice had cried until his voice was gone and his eyes had gone dry. Even after, Slider still refused to let go and just continued to hug and kiss his head as the rocked. None of them needed to say anything, the thank you silently spoken both ways. Eventually, Ice feel asleep against Slider and Slider was able to carry him to bed, crawling in beside him and holding him for the duration of the nap.

--------------------------------

Ice eventually woke up, sniffling slightly as he was all congested from his earlier cry, all tucked up in Slider's arms. 

"Hey," Slider kissed his forehead, eyes still closed.

"HI," Ice's voice was a little husky, "I sobehow feel worse and better.

"Worse how?" Slider rubbed his back, glad he wasn't apologizing.

"I think I'b getting sick," Ice coughed a bit, "By chest hurts.

"Sometimes, when people have a good cry, their throat  and chest hurt, their stuffy, and sometimes even get fevers." 

"That's a real thing?" Ice sniffed again and sighed.

"Yup," Slider leaned down and kissed his lips, "It'll go away by tonight, and if not, then maybe you have a cold." 

"Then you should stop kissing be." 

"With this voice?" Slider looked fake stunned and offended, "Never." 

"I honestly can't believe you find this sexy." 

"Oh baby," Slider's voice deepened, "You know this turns me on," he kissed him again, "You know pride makes me horny." 

"Pride?" 

"You came to me," Slider held Ice's face in his hands, "you felt vulnerable and upset, and you came to find me. You wanted me there with you." 

Ice didn't look as shocked as Slider thought he'd be, "It felt like I couldn't breathe," Ice cleared his throat and sniffed, "you're safe. You're... home." 

Slider had tears in his eyes, and made no attempt to hide them or blink them away, "I have never loved you more, than I do right now." 

Ice wanted to say the same back but it didn't feel strong enough, so instead he said what he felt, "Being with you is the first time i've felt truly safe. I know you won't hurt me. I Know it." 

Slider almost broke down right there, slowly pulling Ice closer, feeling his own chest contract.

"I feel like I can finally breathe." He took a deep breath and put his forehead against Slider.

Slider closed his eyes and just felt Ice, chest warming up like he'd just hand some brandy.

"You are literally the air I breathe,"  Ice chuckled lightly against Slider's lips, "That doesn't make any sense, but It's not metaphorical.. I can't explain it." 

Slider kissed him, "You don't have to, I understand," he chuckled wetly, trying not to start crying again, "for someone named Ice you say the warmest things." 

"Guess you thawed me," Ice took Slider's shirt in his hand and pulled him the remaining distance, locking him in a kiss that felt like a hearth. It was warm, and comforting, and familiar, but also alive, and strong, and passionate. 

When people talked about making love, Ice always thought it was just the difference between a one night stand versus a regular thing; but with Slider, things were different. Every single touch was fire. It felt like Slider's hands were igniting something in him that was dormant; like adding air to a fire that was dying out. Everything was just so... warm. 

----------------------------------------

Ice had turned on their fireplace and was sitting on the couch, just watching the flames, completely unaware that Slider was walking over with two cups.

Slider smiled at the picture and started singing, mostly jokingly, "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.." 

Ice snapped out of it and looked back, "what?" 

"Nothing," Slider sat down and kissed his temple, "You just look so..." Slider bit the inside of his cheek while he thought of how to put it, "at peace." 

"I am," he took the cup, smiling down at the hot cocoa with mini marshmallows, "you make me calm." 

Slider blushed and looked down, "I just want you to be happy." 

"I am," Ice moved closer and kissed his cheek, "thank you." 

"For the chocolate?" He raised a brow, "I thought i'd have to persuade you." 

"No," Ice smiled, "for saving me." 

Slider blinked a bit, not expecting that, "What?" 

"You saved me," Ice put the cup down, but did intend to drink it later, before crawling into Slider's lap, "I never thought I'd make it this far in life. I wouldn't be around without you. So, thank you." 

Slider took his hand and kissed it, "I don't want to live in a world where you aren't in it." 

"And I don't want to live in a world without you," Ice kissed his lips before taking something out of his pocket, "I know it's not christmas, but.. open it." 

Slider raised a brow, but took the little present, "You know you're the only gift I need." 

"I know," Ice gestured to the box.

Slider took off the bow and paper, opening the box within to see a gold band.

Ice slid off Slider's lap and took the box, going down on one knee, "I was going to do this on christmas, but I don't want to wait anymore. I don't want to go another day without showing you how much I love you too."

Slider's mouth was open, completely shocked, "Tom?" 

"Ron Kerner," Ice took his hand, "Slider," he smiled a little, eyes nervous, "Will you marry me?" 

Slider started laughing and nodded, "hold on," he got up and went to the tree, taking off an ornament and bringing it over to Ice, turning it upside down and showing him the ring that was tied to the underside of the ornament, "I was going to ask you on christmas too." 

Ice got up, walking towards him and felt hot tears fall down his cheeks, happy ones this time, "really?" 

"Yeah," Slider took out the ring and put the bell ornament on the table before taking Ice's hand, "Nothing would make me happier than to marry you." 

"That's a yes?" 

"Hell yes," Slider held out the gold band he was going to give to Ice, "If you'll have me." 

"Yes," Ice put his ring on Slider's finger, just as Slider did the same to Ice's, "I'm so in love with you." 

"I love you so much," Slider pulled him closer before dipping him slightly to the side, ending the gesture with a kiss. Both of their happy tears mixed together, making the kiss salty, but so very warm. 

Ice broke it first, smirking.

"What?" 

"I guess I really am your present this year." 

Slider grinned and lifting him back up, hands wandering lower, "You'd look amazing in ribbon," he kissed his lips lightly, "only ribbon." 

Ice chuckled and pulled him back, kissing him again, deepening it. Just as the kiss was getting good, their tree lights turned on, having been on a timer for the evenings. As they pulled away, the lights of the tree glittered in their eyes and each of them had a hard time looking away. It was like looking into their eyes for the first time and seeing them glow. The lights gave a fiery quality to them, like the engagement lite their hearth so much that it was showing outside, glowing in their eyes for all to see. 

Neither said anything, just getting lost in each other's fire. 

A Christmas proposal?? And a vulnerable Ice?? I did not know I needed those in my life until I read this and couldn’t contain the cuteness overload that I received from it. And the way that they were both planning to propose to each other just was icing on the cake! So cute and wholesome and they deserve literally the entire world!! I loved it!!

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been MIA for too long 🥰 first proposal and slider and ice were soooo freaking cute 

second hope you all had a good holiday!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 7:17 AM, Wolfwings22 said:

A Christmas proposal?? And a vulnerable Ice?? I did not know I needed those in my life until I read this and couldn’t contain the cuteness overload that I received from it. And the way that they were both planning to propose to each other just was icing on the cake! So cute and wholesome and they deserve literally the entire world!! I loved it!!

I thought it would be a nice holiday surprise XOXO Thank you so much for your continuous support and kindness this past year. I really appreciate you and love you very much. Happy 2023!

On 12/29/2022 at 12:49 AM, Mygyn said:

I’ve been MIA for too long 🥰 first proposal and slider and ice were soooo freaking cute 

second hope you all had a good holiday!

No worries at all, my love! Thank you so much for your continuous support and kindness this past year. I really appreciate you and love you very much. Happy 2023!

Request: 'm not sure if you're still taking requests, but I had an idea along the lines of Ice being sick and Bradley looks after him, only to end of catching it too and because he knows of Ice self destructive ways when he's guilty he tries to cover it and not let anyone know. But of course this backfires when he winds up in hospital and Ice is called as his next of kin when they can't reach Mav. Then Mav and Slider try to comfort both of them and let them know it's all ok"

I'm going to take some creative liberties with this one and it's probably not going to be exactly as requested, but this is what I can do RN. XO

Neglect

____

It was a depressingly rainy and miserable day. The roads were practically rivers, the temperature dropped, and the lightning was so loud that it made it hard to fall asleep. Ice had known for a while that he was getting a cold, but now the house was cold and drafty and he felt like he couldn't get warm no matter how many hot showers he took or cups of tea he drank. Everytime lightning struck he woke up from any nap, and just felt dreadful. 

"Pops?! I'm home!" Rooster called from the door as he took off his shoes and set his keys down.

Ever since Ice had cancer and recovered, he refused to raise his voice to speak from far away, and now opted on making some kind of noise to alert his presence, like right now, knocking on the kitchen drywall. 

"Ah, found you," Rooster came over and gave him a hug, "why are you warm?" 

Ice gently patted his hip and shrugged.

"You have a fever, Pops," Rooster put his hand on Ice's forehead and frowned, "why didn't you text me, I could have grabbed some soup or meds on the way home." 

"I made soup earlier and I'm fine," Ice cleared his throat and put on a small smile, "you don't need to worry." 

"Too bad, I'm going to worry anyway," Rooster smiled as Ice raised a brow at the sass, "Your sick and alone, in this really drafty and dark house. The perks of having a family is that you get taken care of, not stalking the halls like Dracula." 

"We lost power in the storm." 

"Ah, that explains the ambiance, but not how you somehow made hot tea?" 

Ice rephrased, "We just lost power." 

"Oh," Rooster sighed, "Well, that sucks." 

Ice just shrugged, "It will turn back on eventually."

"How very optimistic of you," he sighed, "It is great weather to sleep through though, which is exactly what you should be doing." 

"I'm going." 

"Good," Rooster took the cup from the table and followed Ice back to his bedroom, "i'll call the electrical company and see what gives with the lights." 

Ice nodded, glad he didn't have to call and be told to 'speak up'. It always pissed him off, and no matter how many times he said that he couldn't, the would still say they couldn't hear him.

"Get some rest," Rooster kissed his forehead before walking out to give Slider and Maverick a call first. 

-------

"Shit," Slider sounded like he was banging his head against the wall, "I can't get a flight, Roo. The storm is grounding everything." 

"I'm not surprised. Came out of nowhere," Rooster was staring out the window, "He's not too bad, said so himself." 

"Hm," Slider wasn't buying it.

"I know what you're thinking, but he really seems ok." 

"Hm." 

"Stop that, it's making me anxious." 

"Next flight I can get on, I'm there." 

"I figured, just don't do something stupid like fly Spirit." 

"I'm not suicidal," his eye roll was so intense Rooster could practically hear it, "I'd rather fly it myself."

"Now that is scary," Rooster chuckled, "I already called Mav and he can't get home either." 

"You called Mav first?" 

"Uhm," Rooster regretted saying that, "No?" 

"Hm." 

"Stop it!" 

"Did he take anything?" 

"Yeah, been giving him meds all day," Rooster flinched as a loud boom went through the house as thunder roared.

"Keep checking on him. Considering how loud that was on the phone, he probably can't sleep." 

"I don't really know how anyone could sleep through this." 

"Got any meds to knock him out?" 

"I'm not drugging Ice," he huffed a small laugh, "I'd like to survive this storm." 

"Just make sure he eats and drinks plenty of fluids, I'll see you soon. I love you, Bradley." 

"Love you too, dad." 

---------

Thankfully by the time he finished talking with Mav and Slider, the power came back, "oh thank god." 

Ice woke up as the lights in his bedroom suddenly turned on, and he put his glasses on, grabbed his robe and slippers and walked out into the hall, checking.

"Why are you out of bed?" 

"we have power," Ice shivered and wrapped his robe better around him, "we have to-" 

"There is no 'we', I know what to do, just go back to sleep and let me take care of this." 

Ice wanted to argue but lifted his arm to cough, thickly and soft like it sounded when he had the cancer.

Bradley's heart felt like it was being squeezed, "Pops," his voice was soft as he came closer and put an arm around him, "please, you need to rest." 

Ice got a little dizzy and leaned into Bradley, who wrapped their arms around him to catch him.

"Dad?!" Rooster caught him and helped him stay upright, "bed, now." He practically carried Ice to bed and tucked him back in, "I've got this." He remembered something he would hear Slider whisper to Ice when he got sick and hoped it would help, "It's ok to need help. That's what family is supposed to do."  he thought the wording was always strange, but it seemed to make Ice relax a bit more.

Ice's eyelids fluttered before he fell asleep, clearly too exhausted to stay awake.

Rooster grabbed a quilt from the closet and laid it across the bed, hoping to keep Ice warm.

---------------

Throughout the storm Bradley got Ice tea, juice, soup, tissues, or whatever Bradley thought Ice would need to stay in bed as much as possible. Of course, Ice protested at first, but gave up when his head would spin and thankfully started to take this a bit more seriously when his throat hurt. Rooster watched as Ice tried not to wince whenever he swallowed, clearly getting pain flashes from the cancer. He wasn't sure if it was his own fear or Ice's, but he could have sworn Ice got that look in his eyes that he had when he had cancer. 

"It's a cold," Rooster handed him more tea, "the cancer isn't back." 

Ice looked up at him slightly confused.

Ok, maybe it was his own fears, "The coughing." 

Ice's eyes softened, "I know." 

"Ok," Rooster blushed a bit and turned to go but felt fingers on his wrist and stopped, turning around.

"This will pass." 

"I know," Rooster nodded, "Just want to make sure you're ok." 

"I will be." 

"You better," Rooster felt his let go and took his leave. 

---------------------

Finally, the storm was over and Rooster got many phone calls and texts from Mav and SLider telling him that they were on their way home. To no one's surprise, Maverick was the first to make it home, probably breaking a disgusting amount of traffic violations.

"How's the patient?" Mav dropped his bags and hugged Roo.

"Sleeping," Rooster was exhausted, having freaked himself out over the whole thing these last few days, "He's got a cough, and keeps having this dizzy spells, so he can't walk too much." 

"The coughing is freaking you out, isn't it," Mav rubbed Rooster's arm, "you look like you haven't slept since he got sick." 

Rooster shook his head, "no, I'm fine. The thunder and lightning made it hard to sleep." 

"Then why don't you go take a nap," he didn't buy the excuse, "i'll look after Ice."

"Yeah," Rooster nodded, "I need a shower." 

"Definitely," Mav made a face, jokingly.

"Ass," Rooster lightly punched his shoulder before disappearing.

Mav smirked before heading towards the bedroom, careful not to make any noise, less he wake up his better half (third?). He put his ear to the door, listening for any sign of Ice being awake, and when he heard nothing, he slowly opened it to find Ice fast asleep. 

He pouted as he noticed the flush on Ice's face and the furrow in Ice's brow. The poor thing wasn't feeling well at all. Mav came closer and pulled the blankets better around Ice before kissing his forehead, finding it still warm. Poor thing still had a fever. Not wanting to wake him, Mav quietly went into the bathroom and took a long shower, having full intention of joining his man in bed.

When he came out, now in pajama pants, he saw the Ice was awake and stifling a sneezing fit into oblivion. Of course, It probably would hurt more if he let them out, but he still couldn't help but frown. When he was done, Mav walked over and ran a hand through his hair.

"You don't feel well at all, huh?" Mav kissed his forehead.

"You're home early.

"Of course I am," Mav crawled into the other side of the bed and wrapped his arm around Ice, "you're sick. Where else would I be?" 

"At work." 

"Nope," he pulled Ice close, rubbing his back, "besides, they're probably so glad to be rid of me for the weekend." 

Ice nodded and rubbed his nose, holding back another itch.

"Nope," Mav took his hand, "you know you're not suppose to do that." 

Ice made a disagreeing noise before ducking into his shoulder, silently stifle a few before they slipped out, "tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch'iew

"Bless you, handsome," Maverick kissed his temple, "Poor thing." 

Ice shivered from how uncomfortable that phrase made him.

"Baby," Mav pulled him back against him, "you're freezing," He rubbed his arms to try to warm him up and wrapped a blanket around his shoulders, "I should have woken you up to take a shower with me." 

"fever." 

"Yeah, still doesn't mean you don't feel cold," Mav frowned, "Rooster said you were getting dizzy." 

Ice closed his eyes, leaning his head against Mav's chest, "Can't stand long.

"That's not good," He frowned, "If you're not feeling better by monday, you're seeing a doctor." 

Ice nodded slightly, having taken his health more seriously since the cancer. 

"But for now," he kissed his forehead against, "Why don't we both take a nap until Slider gets home?" 

Ice was already falling asleep.

"I'll take that as a yes," Mav leaned back under the covers and held Ice as they both slept.

---------------------

A few days went by before Rooster started to feel sick too. At first, it was nothing but some sniffles, but once he got a fever, he just couldn't shake it. Mav and Slider were so worried about Ice and his diminished health, that Rooster was happy to leave early and come home really late to stop any suspicion of his condition. Ice needed the help. He was still so weak and dizzy and sick, that he needed that 24 hour care. For instance, last night Ice fainted while walking back from the bathroom and hit the floor hard. Neither Mav nor Slider were awoken by the thud and freaked out. 

He wasn't going to allow any attention to be spared from Ice. So here he was, shaking at work. He had to excuse himself several times from class to go throw up. He was on his 4th bout when Bob came in to check on him.

"Rooster?" He cautiously walked into the bathroom, looking to see which stall he was in, frowning when he found Bradley sitting on the floor, "Are you ok?" 

"Yeah," Bradley stood up and went to wash his hands, arms, and face, "just ate something bad." 

"You should see a doctor," Bob came over and awkwardly rubbed his back, wincing, "You're really hot." 

"I think that's the first compliment you've ever given me," Bradley teased.

"You have a fever," Bob made a face, "not that you're not attractive.." 

"I know," he sighed, "Don't tell Nat." 

"She sent me in here," Bob shrugged and fixed his glasses, "She's waiting for you outside." 

"I'm surprised she didn't barge in." 

"She was going to, I persuaded her to let me go in first." 

"Wow," Bradley turned to look at him, "you've got balls standing up to Nat." 

"She's worried about you." 

"Yeah," Bradley touched his stomach, "oh.. I feel like shit." 

The door opened, "Times up, Bob," Natasha walked in and went straight to Bradley, "you look awful." 

"Gee, thanks." 

"Shut up," She smacked Bradley's arm before touching his forehead, "you're going to med bay," she saw him about to protest and hit him again, "Don't argue with me." 

"No use," Bradley shivered, "I don't think I could take you on my best day." 

"True," She smirked a bit before taking his arm, "You're getting checked out. Last thing your uncle needs is catching whatever this is."

"I caught it from him, don't worry," Bradley followed anyway.

"Is he ok?" Natasha looked really worried.

"Yeah," Bradley coughed a bit, "he fell last night, so Mav stayed home to make sure he's really ok, but he's in the clear." 

"Shit, Bradley," Phoenix rubbed his arm, "Why didn't you call me?" 

"What for?" They were nearing the medbay, "It's not like you could magically heal Ice." 

"Yeah, but you needed someone to take care of you too," Natasha opened the door, "next time, come to my place. OK?" 

"Sure," he didn't mean it. 

--------------------------------

The doctors called Mav and Slider first, per Rooster's request, but they weren't able to answer the phone. Much to Rooster's chagrin, Admiral Kazansky was called to come pick up Rooster. His fever was at 103 and they didn't want him around to infect the rest of the crew. The doctor was relieved to hear that Ice caught it first, less this kill the man. 

When Ice got there, he looked like the strong admiral he used to be. If you didn't know he was sick, you would have never realized anything was wrong, except for the little bruise on his left cheek from where he fell. 

"Admiral Kazansky, sir," Cyclone came out of nowhere and came to meet him by the doors, "I did not know you were visiting today." 

Ice cleared his throat, "I am picking up my... Rooster." He stopped himself from using any kind of familiar title.

"Ah," Cyclone nodded and came closer, offering his arm.

"I can manage, but thank you," Ice stood straight up and didn't miss the look of admiration and... adoration? in Cyclone's eyes.

"Of course, Sir," He smiled, "He is this way," walking away at a slow pace, hoping that Ice could keep up without thinking that he was compensating for him.

Once they got to the med bay, Ice took Cyclone's arm, ignoring the slight gasp from Cyclone, wanting to silently say that he could take it from here.

"Of course sir," Cyclone nodded his head, "if you ever need anything, do not hesitate to call me."

"Thank you," Ice walked into the room and found Rooster lying down, seemingly asleep. Ice sat down in a chair and took Rooster's hand, gently squeezing it, hoping Rooster would know he was there.

He didn't wake up until about 30 minutes later, but when he did, he was almost ashamed to see Ice sitting there, "I asked them not to call you." 

Ice looked confused, "Why?" 

"You need rest." 

"I am not the one who is ill," Ice patted his hand.

"Yes you are," Rooster sat up and frowned, "you're still recovering from cancer. You can't be in a place like this." 

"A place like this?" 

"A germ factory." 

Ice chuckled slightly before coughing a bit, "The cancer is gone, Bradley. I will be fine." 

Bradley tried to take this, but he was still so scared, "Are you here to take me home?" 

Ice nodded and stood up, "I'm sorry we made you feel like you could not tell us you felt so sick." 

Bradley was sort of confused by the wording, "Made me?" 

Ice's face softened, "Maverick and Slider were so concerned for me, that you were neglected. We should have checked on you-" 

"No!" Bradley stood up and looked Ice in the face, "I can take care of myself. You needed the help." 

"I am far better than I was,"  Ice put his hands on Rooster's cheeks, "as a wise man once told me, just because you can, doesn't mean you should." 

Rooster rolled his eyes, "You're quoting Slider." 

"yes," Ice ran his thumb over Rooster's cheek, "you got this habit from me. Trying to pretend all is fine. Not asking for help when you don't feel well." 

"Pops, no," Rooster took his hands and held them, "You did that because your family hurt you. You all have been nothing but kind to me. I did this because I wanted.. needed you to be ok. I didn't want you worrying about me and making yourself worse. I know you'd do anything to take care of me and neglect yourself." 

Ice closed his eyes and mentally counted to 10; something he did to stop the bad thoughts from taking over. 

"I love you, Pops," Rooster hugged him, "I needed you to be ok." 

Ice held him back, "I'll be fine. I promise, I won't neglect myself, but there are four of us. We take care of each other. Please-" Ice coughed into Rooster's shoulder, making the younger man rub his back.

"Ok, ok." Rooster held him tighter, "I get it. I won't keep this stuff from you all anymore, ok? Please stop talking." 

Ice let go and smiled, nodding.

"Great," Rooster rubbed hte back of his head, "Can we go home now? I'm trying not to throw up again." 

Ice looked sympathetic at him before taking his arm and walking out towards the car, "You know Maverick is going to chew you out for this.

"Yeah," Rooster cleared his throat, "but i'll still get soup and love out of it." 

Ice squeezed his arm, "Absolutely." 

Ahhhhh this update was just amazing!! Sorry if my thought aren’t as put together I’m writing it on my break at work but I just couldn’t wait any longer to comment! Ice’s cute sneezes and Mav making sure he doesn’t stifle with Rooster sick and not wanting to worry everyone and then Ice coming to get him is I think my new favorite trope for this fandom! Im so glad you updated and it made my whole week, really whole year If im honest since 2023 is sucking so far! Lol

On 1/8/2023 at 1:51 AM, RemedyBane said:

Next flight I can get on, I'm there." 

"I figured, just don't do something stupid like fly Spirit." 

"I'm not suicidal," his eye roll was so intense Rooster could practically hear it, "I'd rather fly it myself."

Also as someone who (unfortunately) flies Spirit all the time because they’re the cheapest I can confirm they are the worst airline and I’d rather Rooster, Ice, or Maverick fly it instead as well 😂

On 1/9/2023 at 8:02 AM, Wolfwings22 said:

Also as someone who (unfortunately) flies Spirit all the time because they’re the cheapest I can confirm they are the worst airline and I’d rather Rooster, Ice, or Maverick fly it instead as well 😂

I adore you so much! Ugh! Thank you XOXO Yikes, Spirit! Agh! The new movie "Plane" i'm pretty sure that's suppose to be Spirit airlines! I just saw the movie today and it's amazing. go watch it if you can!

Pride part 2: The Apology (Part 2 of chapter 84)

It was a week before Cyclone had the courage to ask for a meeting with Iceman, fully intending to apologize for the daisies incident. His stomach was in knotts and he was clearly not hiding it well, if Maverick was any indication. The arrogant pilot was looking at him funny and whispering to Rooster. They definitely knew what he was planning, even though he and Iceman promised to keep the meeting a secret from them. Iceman really was a kind and understanding man.

"Hey Cyclone," Maverick came running up, "why did you cancel your class today?" 

Cyclone glared, "That is none of your concern." 

"It is when it hinders my pilots' education," he vaguely gestured towards the Dagger Squad.

"I'm your superior, so that makes them my pilots." 

"Splitting hairs here," Mav ran to be in front of him as Cyclone tried to walk away, "You keep staring at Ice's portrait." 

"No I haven't!" he probably said that too fast.

Maverick raised a brow, "uh'huh," he rolled his eyes, "if your meeting with my Iceman, thenI trump you by being his partner." 

"Your his wingman, not partner." 

"Life partner, Beau," Maverick felt like his eyes were going to roll away with how hard to rolled them, "as in, I sleep in his bed, live in his home, suck his-" 

"Enough!" He wanted to slap that smirk off of Maverick's face, "Who I meet with is none of your business. It is classified and you don't have clearance," He pulled Maverick to the side and went past him, "stop me again and i'll ground you!" 

Maverick was left glaring at the back of his head, secretly hoping that he could feel daggers lodge themselves in his skull; but alas, Cyclone still walked on, unharmed.

-----------------------------------------------------

Cyclone made it to Iceman's home without incident, unless you count the bird that decided to poop on his car just as he pulled in. Of course that would happen when he was trying to put his best foot forward. He had just had his car washed the day prior. After he turned off his car, he stared at the front door like it was a snake that he was anxiously waiting to strike him. Instead, it was just a normal door, in a normal neighborhood, attached to a normal, albeit grand, home. There was nothing to be afraid of. He just need to walk to the door, ring the bell, and say hello. He could do that.

Finally gaining the courage, he got out of the car and walked over, ringing the doorbell, only for Slider to answer the door, "oh no-" 

*pow* 

The next thing he knew he was laying down on a carpet with a ziplock bag filled with Ice haphazardly placed on his face, "ugh.." 

"Good, your not dead," Slider stood over him with a scowl on his face.

Cyclone had the idea that Slider was indeed not happy he was alive, "still got a hell of a right hook." 

"I hit you with my left, idiot," Slider rolled his eyes.

"That was your non-dominant hand?!" 

"You would be dead if it was my right," Slider turned and started to walk out of the room, "Your late for your meeting. Ice is a busy man." 

-fuuuuck- was all that was going through his head as he stood up and braced himself against the couch, "couldn't you have knocked me out after?"

"Couldn't wait that long," Slider disappeared, probably going to warn Ice that he was coming; or maybe laugh about knocking him out again.

When he got to the office, Ice was sitting in his chair, wearing the same blue sweater that he wore the last time he saw him. It was strangely attractive; being soft and inviting, but also still sharp and becoming of an admiral. 

"Good morning, sir." 

Ice merely nodded and gestured to the chair in front of the desk. He then looked at Slider, eyes going soft, glancing from him to the door.

"Oh no," Slider came closer and sat on the edge of the desk, "I'm not leaving." 

Ice started typing on the computer, *I am not in danger* 

"That remains to be seen," Slider glared at him, even though Cyclone had no idea what Ice typed out.

*Sli, please.* 

"You can give me that look all you want. I'm not leaving," he moved Ice's hands off the keyboard and typed *you know I can't leave you alone until we know how your body takes these new meds. You could seize.* 

Ice took the keyboard back, *I feel fine* 

"That's not enough for me," Slider had his back to Cyclone, and leaned over to kiss his forehead, "you are the most important thing in my life. I'm not taking any chances with you." 

Ice looked so touched and loved, any fight in him died that instant. He looked about to speak, but Slider came closer and kissed him, stopping him.

"No talking, only typing." 

Ice kissed him again before typing, *Yes sir*

"Cute," Slider kissed him again.

Cyclone cleared his throat, "perhaps I should come back when you're feeling better-"

"Great idea-" Slider perked up but was silenced when Ice put his hand up. He looked over at him to see Ice shake his head, "fine."

Ice cleared his throat before making a hand gesture, asking Cyclone to state why he was there.

Cyclone took a breathe, "Admiral Kazansky, I came here to formally apologize-" he looked confused when Slider shook his head and was glaring at him, "for the incident last week." 

Bradley had put in a text to speech application on his computer which spoke for him, "What incident?" 

Cyclone was completely shocked, not really knowing what to say.

"Is this about Maverick?" 

"Yup" Slider squeezed Ice's shoulder, "he's just apologizing for getting a little too curt with Maverick." 

Ice didn't look like he was buying this at all.

"No?" Cyclone ignored Slider's gaze and looked at Ice, "I came here to see how you were feeling, and I ignored Maverick's warning about bringing flowers-" he noticed Ice's face look scared for a second before going back to the mask of calm indifference, "uhm.. I'm sorry, do you not remember this?" 

Ice just shook his head.

"That's understandable sir, you were very ill-" 

"Ok!," Slider stood up and clapped, "apology excepted, but time is up," he grabbed Cyclone and pulled him up, "time for you to go babysit Mav-" he then whispered, 'while I clean up your mess."

"Ro-hhn" Ice tried to speak and get up, but he didn't have the strength and fell back into his seat.

"I'll be right back, just going to walk him out," Slider grabbed Cyclone by the neck, forcing him out of the office and towards the front door, "I told you to never bring this up!" 

"Why?" Cyclone looked a little scared, "You told me to apologize-" 

"For breaking into his house!" 

"I didn't break in-" 

"Don't make me smack you." 

"I don't understand?"

"By the grace of God, he was so out of it that night that he doesn't remember any of it! He's just aware that Hangman threw someone out after they came to the door! He didn't know you saw him faint and look so weak." 

"What's wrong with that?" 

"You invaded his privacy!" Slider smacked him upside the head, "how would you feel if i just walked into your bedroom while you're undressed?" 

Cyclone shivered, "mostly scared." 

"You're not a threat, but it's still creepy," Slider threw him out the door, "just get the fuck out." With that he slammed the door.

---------------------------------------------------

When Slider got back to the office, he expected to see Ice have a panic attack or with his head in his hands, practicing his breathing, but what he was really greeted with, was an unnervingly calm Ice, just sitting in his chair and staring at a young picture of him, fresh out of high school. 

"Honey?" Slider came closer and knelt down, "you ok?" 

Ice looked down at Slider and smiled slightly, "i'm ok." 

"Type it out, baby-" 

Ice shook his head, "I am not that boy anymore," he pointed to the picture he was just looking at, "I know i'm not healthy. I know i'm recovering. I know I may never be the same as before the cancer," he paused to cough, "but I am better, mentally." 

Slider nodded, not really sure where he was going with this.

'It's ok that he saw me like that," he took Slider's hand, "It wasn't right the way he came in, but I am not embarrassed." He made a face, "well, maybe a little."

"But you're ok?" Slider kissed his hand.

Ice nodded, "I'm not thrilled with it, but I couldn't help it." 

"I am so proud of you," Slider kissed his hand again.

Ice took Slider's chin in his hand, "I'm not saying I trust people, but I trust you. I trust Maverick. I trust Bradley. That's all I need." 

"Yeah," Slider came up and kissed his lips, "do you trust your assistant to finish up while you take a nap?" 

"He is very good at his job," Ice took Slider's arm and slowly stood up, "I trust he can take over the rest of the day. I'm not feeling very well." 

"Rest it is," Slider kissed his head, "that's a great idea." 

"Can you call Cyclone and tell him to send Maverick and Bradley home early?" 

"Considering the state we just left him in, I think he'd let the whole navy off early if it pleased you." 

"Just my boys, please," he chuckled softly as Slider tucked him into bed, "they help me stay calm." 

"Are we sure we're talking about the same Maverick and Bradley?" 

Ice smiled as he closed his eyes, "we make a good family." 

Slider bent down and kissed his forehead, "No honey, we make a perfect family." 

I’ll definitely have to check that movie out! Fun fact I’m petrified of flying and airplanes are literally one of my biggest fears. I used to have to take Benadryl to make me fall asleep just to handle being on one and now I’m in a fandom all about aircraft’s I wouldn’t go near even on the ground. 😂

But anyway amazing installment as ever! Ice and Slider talking with Ice gradually waging war on those fears and winning makes me very happy inside. The care that Slider always has for him is always refreshing to read and the family unit that Ice has is incredible. Thanks so much for this chapter and you know I Can’t wait for the next one!

Request: and the first time ice has a panic attack with slider there. they’re just so sweet together and i know sli would be the absolute best with him, right from the beginning. 🥹

Well alrighty theeeeen.

You're Impossible

Now that Ice had sneezed in front of Slider, he found that Slider would pay special attention whenever he'd have a fit. It should have freaked him out, but it was actually comforting to know that Slider didn't mind them, but enjoyed(?) them. It was especially comforting when he would hug him from behind when he had a long fit, since he sometimes felt a little dizzy after stifling for so long. He was in the middle of such a fit now, and the weight of Slider behind him kept him upright. 

"Bless you," Slider kissed his cheek, "that was about 20. Are you feeling ok?" 

Ice shivered a little, embarrassed by the question, face flushed, "i'm fine." 

"Ok," Slider rubbed his side, "do you want to go back to checking the plane or are we hiding for another reason?" 

Ice had left the hanger to have his fit, not wanting anyone else to see him, but allowed Slider to follow. He didn't know what was setting him of; maybe the beginnings of a cold. Whatever the cause, he would be horrified if anyone heard. 

"I'm good," Ice sniffed and scrunched his nose up in a way that sent heat pooling in Slider's pants.

"Ok," Slider followed him back, glad to see that no one really noticed their absence. 

Once they got to the plane, Ice felt another itch form and instantly pulled his shirt up, stifling 7 before he couldn't anymore, "Tsch-" 

Suddenly Slider started coughing really loudly and moving stuff to cover the sound of Ice's fit. 

"Choking over there Slider?!" Someone called from across the hanger.

"Not anymore!" he faked a small cough when Ice looked up at him with a raised eyebrow. Instead of responding to it verbally, he walked over and kissed his forehead.

"Kazansky!" their CO walked over with something in his hand, "letter from your father. Says its urgent." 

Ice's face immediately fell and Slider could see the color drain from his face.

"Let's go open it somewhere more private," Slider looked around, "if it's urgent, it's no one's business but his." 

"Agreed, take my office," The CO was worried someone had died, "use my phone if you need it." 

Ice nodded and thanked him before hurrying off with Slider on his heels. They made it to the room in record time, but Slider realized it wasn't because Ice was eager to open it, it was because he was afraid to open in. Ice went inside and went to the furthest corner, beginning to breathe heavily, but in short gasps. 

"Hey, hey," Slider came closer, "What? what's happening?" 

Ice just waved him off and closed his eyes, taking a few deep breaths, before he opened his eyes, "I'm fine."

"You don't look fine-" it was as if a switch was turned off, Ice suddenly showing no emotion, "Woah, how did you do that?" 

"I haven't done anything," his voice was flat, eyes looking nowhere by the envelope in his hands, "I should read this alone." 

"No," Slider stepped closer and was properly in his space now, "a second ago you were on the verge of a panic attack, and now you're a zombie. I'm not leaving you like this."

"I'm fine-"

"You're really not, Ice," Slider took the envelope and put it in the desk, taking Ice's hands in his, "your hands are ice, and you're shaking. Whatever is in the letter can wait until you feel ok." 

"Why do you care?" 

The confusion in Ice's eyes broke Slider's heart, "because you're my friend, and hell, I like you. A lot." 

"What?" Ice went back to feeling, breath coming in short bursts.

"I like you. More than I probably should, and I know you like me too. I have no idea what you've been through, but i'm here to listen," he saw Ice looked more scared, "we don't have to talk about this now. My point is, I want to be there for you. I want to help you. I want to keep you safe."

"...safe?" 

"Yeah," Slider started to massage his hands, "you're safe here. It's just you and me, and no one is getting past me. I know you're having a panic attack, but I have no idea why. Can you tell me what's freaking you out?" 

Ice had tears in his eyes and looked anywhere but at Slider, biting his inner cheek.

"Ok, that's ok," Slider kissed Ice's hands as he watched tears fall down Ice's face, "why do you look like this is the first time someone's cared about you?" When Ice didn't answer, Slider knew, "Oh, jeez." 

At that, Ice started to slid down the wall, barely aware with how fast his breathing was.

"It's ok," Slider bent down to him and took his face in his hands, "look at me, only at me. It's ok. Just try to breathe" he put one of Ice's hands on his chest, "can you breathe with me?" 

Ice shook his head, eyes continuously glancing at the note.

Having no other idea on what to do, Slider came closer and kissed him. Instantly he felt Ice stop breathing, and for a second he thought he really screwed up, but then Ice was kissing him back. His lips were soft, and he tasted minty, which wasn't surprising considering the gum he was always chewing. 

Ice was the first to break the kiss, breathing now insync with Slider's, eyes wide.

Slider was never at a loss for words, but here he was, just staring at his pilot, hoping that Ice would say something.

Ice swallowed thickly, "uhm.. that was.." he furrowed his brow for a second before sighing and pulling Slider back in and kissing him again. This time, he took charge and deepened the kiss, hands coming up to cup Slider's face, eventually combing through his hair.  

Slider was happy with this change of events and pulled Ice onto his lap, holding him close, but also respectfully. He wanted Ice to feel secure, but able to pull away should he want to.

Ice pulled a bit at Slider's lip before breaking the kiss, "Not how I expected our first kiss to go." 

"It was better than I expected," It was Slider's turn to be breathless.

Ice really looked at Slider and saw how his eyes were full of admiration and appreciation, "You're the real deal aren't you?" 

"What does that mean?" Slider rubbed Ice's back, hoping to keep him calm.

Ice looked up at the ceiling, taking a breath, before speaking, "you really mean what you say. You're not trying to trick me or manipulate. You actually say exactly what you mean."

"Of course I do," Slider furrowed his brow in confusion, "why would i lie to you? I think you're amazing and I want to get to know you, not control you. Hell, that's your job, Mr. Best Pilot in the Navy."

"I don't want to control you," Ice was very quick to assure him.

Slider chuckled a bit, "good to know" he leaned in and pecked his lips, "I promise I will always be straightforward with you."

Ice nodded and put his forehead against Slider's, "I somehow believe you." 

Slider smiled, "I'm an honest guy." 

"So I'm learning," Ice sniffed and rubbed his face, "I think I'm ready for the letter." 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yeah," Ice took Slider's hand, "as long as you stay with me?" 

"I'm not going anywhere, Babe." 

Ice blushed profusely and looked down, "Babe?" 

"I think it has a nice ring to it," Slider kissed Ice's finger, "Honey,"  then the other, "sugar", then another, "baby," another, "gorgeous," then his pinky, "handsome." 

Ice actually laughed then and took his hand back, "knock it off." 

"Not until you realize how amazing you are," Slider kissed Ice's shoulder, "and I can't wait to prove it to you." 

Ice hugged him and buried his face in his neck, "you're impossible."

"Yup," he hugged him tight, "I say we forget the letter and enjoy the rest of our day. We can read it when we get home, ok?" 

"Yeah," Ice kissed Slider's neck, "I don't want to ruin the moment." 

"Well," Slider grinned, "we can't have that, now, can we?" 

They just sat on the ground, holding one another until Ice felt well enough to rejoin the group on deck. From then on Slider had been a source of safety, even if it was unconscious, Ice always searched for him when he was nervous. If you had told them that they would buy a house together and help raise a little boy with their third boyfriend, they wouldn't have believed you. But here they are, happy, and loved, and safe.

Oooooh this one was so good! Seeing Ice and Slider at the beginning of their relationship and the way that Slider covered for him by coughing was so cute! Also I’m loving these posts so close together! I know you’re busy and I definitely understand though I have to say whenever I see you update this I get incredibly excited. Can’t wait for even more!

On 1/18/2023 at 9:14 PM, Wolfwings22 said:

Oooooh this one was so good! Seeing Ice and Slider at the beginning of their relationship and the way that Slider covered for him by coughing was so cute! Also I’m loving these posts so close together! I know you’re busy and I definitely understand though I have to say whenever I see you update this I get incredibly excited. Can’t wait for even more!

Slider really is the cutest XO I'm just glad I can write more often. Work has been nuts and a lot is going on, but i'm doing my best.  Thank you for loving this and staying with me XOXO I believe you had a request for the biggest fit Ice has ever had? Well, here ya go.

"Jesus, Ice!"

Mav should have known something was wrong with Ice the moment he got up this morning to Ice stifling a sneezing fit while holding onto the counter. But alas, hindsight really is 20/20. 

(earlier)

Mav yawned and got out of bed, already smelling the amazing breakfast Ice was no doubt making for both of them. With a smile on his face, he walked out of the bedroom and towards the kitchen, only to see Ice leaning against the counter with one hand gripped onto the marble top while his face was buried in his elbow; clearly having quite the fit.

"Aw, honey," Mav pouted and came over, hugging him from behind, "stop stifling, i'm awake." 

"ah'hiew-" Ice bent a bit forward with the relief of letting them out, "hiew-hiew-hiew-hiew-hiew-hiew-khiew-khiew-khiew-khiew-khiew-khiew-ugh," He coughed a bit before shaking his head.

"Bless you," Mav kissed his shoulder, "how long were you sneezing before I came here.

Ice blushed and hid his face in his hands, mumbling something unintelligible.

"I'll take that as a while," Mav turned him around and kissed where his mouth would be if his hands weren't over his face, "bad allergy day?" 

"Ah!hiew" Ice bobbed forward a bit with the sudden sneeze before sighing and putting his hands down, "Dno, just really sendsetive." 

Mav tried not to laugh and actually kissed his lips this time, "what set you off then?" 

Ice tentatively sniffed before staring at the ceiling and gesturing loosely towards the food.

"Cooking?" Mav kissed along his chest, "what, pepper? steam? Did you do some salt lines?" The last one got him a light smack to the side, "just kidding." 

"Just go eat," Ice sniffed again.

"Ya know," Mav ignored his request and held his face in his hands, gently running his thumb over his sinuses, "you're probably getting a cold if you're so sensitive."

"No..."

"Yes," Mav chuckled at the slight whine, "you're definitely getting a cold," he wiped the tear from under Ice's eye from the fit, "your nose won't stop twitching." 

"I n'hih..need to-" Ice was already hitching, but by now was used to Maverick refusing to give him his space when he needed to sneeze, now allowing Mav to move his hand so that it was now covering his nose and mouth instead of cupping his face, "Eh'kiew-" He was too exhausted to be embarrassed and just sneezed into Mav's palm, "schiew-schiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chew-hiew-hiew-hiew-hiew-hiew," He sniffed and scrunched his nose up, hoping to rid himself of the tickle as Mav rubbed the underside of his nose.

"Can I convince you to go back to bed?" Mav watched as Ice wiggled his nose and put one of his fingers on the side, rubbing up and down Ice's nose, trying to help quell the itch.

"I just dneed a shower," Ice sniffed again and cleared his throat, "I have some paperwork do fidish before I can take a sick day." 

"Come home early, then," Mav kissed his lips again.

"You're starting to sound like Sli," Everytime he sniffed he felt like he needed to sneeze again, making his breathing a little uneven.

Mav faked being hurt, "there is no need to be mean." 

"Wh'ah't?" Ice shook his head before pulling his shirt over his face and turning a bit away from Mav, "Enghkt-" He stifled hard enough that his ears popped.

"That hurt me!" Mav pried Ice's hand off of his face, "stop it." 

"Kschiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-chiew-hih," he rubbed his wrist harshly along the underside of his nose, "Eschiew-chiew-chew-chew-chew-chew-chew-chew!" 

"This is the third fit you've had in as many minutes," that wasn't quite true, "babe, you need to relax before you pass out." 

"Not godda pass out," Ice waved him off and turned, "i'b takigg a shower-SChiew!" He sneezed openly towards the floor as he walked towards the bathroom, making Mav frown. Ice never did that.

"I'm driving you to work!" He wasn't sure Ice even heard him, but got ready quickly just in case he tried to drive. 

(NOW)

He had been anxious all day, just waiting for someone to call him and say that Ice was in the infirmary or had fainted, or worse, sneezed in front of an admiral. He shivered at the thought. Ice would freak. It was becoming so obvious, that Rooster was starting to get suspicious. 

"Hey," Rooster came over and moved in front of him, trapping Mav in a corner, "What's going on? Why are you so nervous?" 

Mav thought quick on his feet, "I'm about to get my ass chewed out for disobeying more orders."

"Bullshit, Mav," Rooster rolled his eyes, "you relish in people yelling at you. What's really going on?" 

"Why do you think there's something going on? Why can't I just be nervous?" 

Rooster looked like he wanted to slap him, "You don't get nervous about yourself. Someone's in trouble."

"Maybe it's you," Mav raised a brow.

"I'm never in trouble and i'm in perfect health-" it dawned on him, "It's Ice. What happened? Is it back? Is he getting tests done?!" 

"No, hold on, no," Mav grabbed Rooster's arms to stop him from flailing about and took his hands in his, "Ice's cancer is not back, he's just feeling.. a little..sensitive." 

"His throat hurts," Rooster's eyes went wide, "did he get it checked out?!" 

"NO, I mean, not what you think," Mav shook his head, hating the way he was going about this and decided to just tell him, "I think Ice just has the beginning of a bad cold and I couldn't get him to stay home. I just keep waiting for him to text me to take him home." 

"So he is sick," Rooster frowned.

"Probably," he shrugged, "I was going to check on him." 

"Text me what happens?" 

"Yeah, kid," Mav squeezed Rooster's bicep, "I'm probably overreacting." 

"It's Ice," Rooster shook his head, "It's Pops." 

"Yeah, I know," Mav nodded, "I'll let you know soon. Go back to class."

----------------------

After about a 15 minutes drive, Mav not going the speed limit, he made it to Ice's office and greeted his assistant. The poor bloke was stressing out about something and just waved Maverick off to go inside without really acknowledging his presence. He was actually glad for this and just opened the door, slipping inside, and immediately locked it. He had a feeling Ice wasn't alone but was glad it was just his anxiety.

"Mav?" Ice raised a brow, glasses on the desk instead of his face, so he couldn't really see.

"Yeah," Mav came closer so Ice could see him, "came to check on my man." 

Ice chuckled a bit before turning away and coughing slightly, "you were right." 

Mav frowned and came closer, sitting on the desk and pulling Ice closer by his chair, "feeling sick?" 

Ice just nodded, sniffling a bit, "I'm so cold, Mav." He put his hand on his forehead and frowned.

"You're sweating," Mav took off his military top and stayed in his undershirt, tossing it aside before coming to straddle Ice, sitting in his lap.

"Fever," Ice nodded and put his head against Maverick's shoulder, "I don't want to pretend i'm alright all the time." 

"You don't have to, honey," Mav kissed his forehead.

"After the cancer," Ice sighed, "The first time," he sniffed, "I hate taking sick days. Everyone gets so worried." 

"Because they care about you," Mav put his forehead against Ice's, "you're really hot, baby." 

"Don't flirt with me," Ice closed his eyes, "I can't deal with double entendres right now."

Mav chuckled and started kissing his face, "you do have a really bad fever, though." 

"Amazing," Ice deadpanned, "must be my lucky day." 

"Ohh, someone's in a mood," Mav kissed his lips, "really don't feel good, huh?" 

Ice just groaned and buried his face in Mav's neck.

Mav took this break in conversation to look around the office, finding that the trash can was full of used tissues, and his coffee cup was filled with tea instead of coffee. The chairs look like they haven't been moved all day, meaning no meetings or guests came to see him aside from his assistant, who never did sit down. 

"Ok," Mav kissed his head, "Baby, we need to get you home." 

Ice sat up and shook his head, "not again." 

Mav furrowed his brows, "What do you mean?" 

Ice rolled his eyes before bringing his elbow up, "Heasch-eascsh-easch-easch-easch-eash-easch-easch-easch-" These sneezes were much stronger than the ones he normally had and Maverick was worriedly rubbing his side, "easch-etsch-etsch-etsch-etsch-etcsh-etsch-etsch-etsch-" 

When there was no signs of stopping soon, Mav put his fingers under Ice's chin and turned his face towards him, "come here, it's ok," He held Ice as he sneezed helplessly into his chest, not minding the wetness that was beginning to form there.

"Esch-esch-ecsh-esch-esch-esch-etch-etch-" Ice held harder, smothering his face in Mav's shirt, "tsch-tsdch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-" 

Mav was getting really concerned. He'd never seen or heard Ice have this big or strong a bit, "oh honey-" 

"Tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-tsch-"

"It'll be over soon," He kept rubbing Ice's back and kissing his head, "it's ok." 

Suddenly Ice's sneezes turned even faster, making Maverick's heart stop, "Tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tch'tch'tch'tch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch-" 

It felt like Ice was never going to stop sneezing, but eventually he did and just slumped forward against Maverick.

"Shit, Ice," Maverick held him so tight like he was afraid Ice would fall out of the chair if he let go, "have you been sneezing like this all day?" 

Ice was panting, too tired to speak, but shook his head.

"That was the first time you've ever sneezed like that?" 

Ice nodded.

"Aw, honey," Mav rubbed his back and kissed his head, "I'm going to call the doctor. You need some stronger medicine than over the counter.

Ice eventually sat up, looking spent and disoriented, nose all red and wet, lazily reaching for the tissues.

"Here," Mav took some out and wiped under Ice's nose, "can you blow?" 

Ice blew into the tissues in Mav's hand, but the contact made him sneeze, "tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch'tsch!" 

"Jesus," Maverick threw the tissues away and put a hand on his forehead, "I'm going to get the car. Do you think you can wait for me here, to come get you?" 

Ice shook his head and reached for him, "stay." 

"Ok, I'll call Roo-" 

"No," Ice looked on the verge of panic.

"Ok, no Roo," Mav frowned, "Sli?" 

He nodded, relaxing back against the chair.

"Ok, Calling Sli," Mav was running his fingers through Ice's hair as he called and watched Iceman fall asleep, "Hey, Ice is really sick. I need help getting him to the car. He's barely conscious." 

Ice was shaking the entire car ride home, barely aware that he was in a car, much less that Slider was actually there too. In his mind, he was still in his office with Maverick on his lap. It took a lukewarm bath and some prescription meds to make him lucid again. How the hell he fooled the Navy into thinking he was ok for duty was beyond both of them. But hey, at least he's home now, and in bed. Thank God for tiny miracles.

Edited by RemedyBane

OMG!!! Have I read this latest update at least a dozen times? Yes. Am I going to stop rereading anything time soon? Absolutely not. This was everything I could’ve asked for and more and Mav helping him with his fits like that definitely made me so so excited. I was going to quote my favorite parts but then I realized it would’ve been the whole fic 😂 Absolutely infinity out of ten I just can’t even express how amazing it was! I know what I’m going to be doing for the foreseeable future and I couldn’t be more excited!!

On 1/23/2023 at 10:34 PM, Wolfwings22 said:

OMG!!! Have I read this latest update at least a dozen times? Yes. Am I going to stop rereading anything time soon? Absolutely not. This was everything I could’ve asked for and more and Mav helping him with his fits like that definitely made me so so excited. I was going to quote my favorite parts but then I realized it would’ve been the whole fic 😂 Absolutely infinity out of ten I just can’t even express how amazing it was! I know what I’m going to be doing for the foreseeable future and I couldn’t be more excited!!

I cannot fathom how you read this a dozen times and aren't bored of it, but also so fucking grateful and honored! I am so happy to have a reader like you. You seriously keep me going, babe. XOXO

What is this chapter? Idk. I just started writing and this is what happened. Enjoy my 1 am word vomit. XO

Little Kitten Sneezes

There were many sounds that Maverick hated. The sound of the vacuum cleaner, glass shattering, nails on a chalkboard, the sound of his engine not working, but the worst of all, was the soft sobs of one of the loves of his life. It was a rare occasion, and each time he heard it he felt this pain in his chest, like someone had took a hammer to his heart. He felt the panic set in and ran towards the sound, not really sure what he'd find. When he opened the door, his breath left him, as he saw Iceman sitting on the bed, hand over his mouth, as he was crying.

He slowly walked over and knelt down by the bed, "hey," Maverick rubbed his knee, urging Ice to look at him, "What's wrong?" 

Ice just shook his head and tried to stop crying, which failed miserably, only worsening his anxiety. 

"Ok," Mav got up and sat on the bed, instantly pulling Ice into his chest and laying down with him, "It's going to be ok. Whatever this is, it'll pass. Until it does, I'm right here." 

Ice just curled further into him and cried into his shirt, not caring if he got tears and snot on it. He needed the relief and he was tired of holding everything in. He was in pain and it felt fucking good to just let it out. What no one told him, was after a good cry, you would feel really sleepy. He thought he was slowly fainting after the fit, but Mav intercepted his thoughts.

"That's good," Mav rubbed his back, "go to sleep, honey," he kissed his forehead, "you'll feel better after a nap." 

Ice took him at this word and let himself drift off. The entire duration of the nap, Mav stayed put, holding him and ended up falling asleep too. 

----------------------------------

Slider came home earlier than expected, and kept quiet when he walked into the house, ears instantly hearing Ice's cries. His first instinct was to sprint over there, but hearing Maverick sooth Ice made him pause. Ice wasn't alone; which was good. His heart stopped when he first heard the cries and thought he might be about to hurt himself. Now that he could hear Mav, he calmed down and just listened. 

"It's going to be ok." 

Slider nodded and smiled to himself, hearing Mav. He might be talking to Ice but it calmed him right down too. It will be ok. Ice wasn't alone. Ice was letting it all out. Maverick had this. It was going to be ok. 

"I'm right here." 

Yes, yes he was. Slider felt pride bloom in his chest as he tiptoed towards the bedroom door and peering in. Mav was doing everything right. Holding him, kissing his forehead, constantly contact and movement with his hand rubbing his back. Laying down was a huge bonus, as Ice would no doubt be exhausted by the time he stopped. Poor thing was finally letting it all out and Slider couldn't be more proud, grateful, and terrified all at the same time. He continued to be a silent figure in the doorway, glad that neither Mav nor Ice knew of his presence. He wanted to keep it that way; a silent watcher. 

Ice and Mav finally fell asleep before Slider could tear his eyes away long enough to find a blanket. Being as quiet as possible, he unfolded the blanket, and layed it over his sleeping boyfriends. Ice's eyes were all puffy and red, and his nose looked a little raw with how often he was probably rubbing it. Mav looked like he usually did while sleeping, somehow innocent and smug at the same time. His arm was protectively around Ice's waist, fingers twitching every once in a while, brain still trying to comfort Ice even in REM sleep. 

After placing the blanket on him, Slider risked touching Ice's forehead, feeling for a fever. When he did feel some heat there, he frowned and carefully moved the blanket so he could see Ice's wrists. He felt a weight lift off of his shoulders when he didn't see anything new. Of course, it had been a very long time since he did anything like that, but it never hurt to make sure. 

Ice made a soft noise and scrunched his nose up.

Slider knew it was an itch that threatened to wake him up, so he, very gently, rubbed the side of Ice's nose until he calmed down. Neither Mav nor Ice knew that he did that when Ice was sleeping. He didn't want Ice to do that when he's awake to try to stop his sneezes. It was more important for him to get used to sneezing out loud. There was a chance that stopping it now made Ice have his little morning fits, but truth be told, he fucking loved those little morning fits. He always looked so bleary eyes and confused, still waking up as his nose decided to rebel. It would be smaller than his usually tiny kitten sneezes, and he'd barely get his arm up in time, seemingly surprised by it all. It always made him a little stuffy after and he would do this cute like nose scrunch. God, it was his favorite thing about waking up.

Unable to stop himself, he leaned forward and placed a kiss on both of their foreheads before leaving the room. If he didn't leave, he would just start kissing them all over until they woke up, and he couldn't have that. His loves needed to rest, so he got himself comfy on the couch with one of Ice's books and relaxed until they woke up.

-----------------------------------------------------

Ice was the first to wake up, feeling stuffy and confused, nose already buzzing, "huh'kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew'huh." 

Mav woke up to his fit and smiled, "aw, little kitten sneezes," he kissed Ice's forehead, chuckling lightly at Ice's frustrated expression, "you're so cute." 

Ice sniffed and rubbed his nose, "ih'tchi." 

"Bless you, kitten," Mav chuckled a little harder and pulled Ice back into his chest.

Ice just grumbled something into his chest and intertwined their legs.

"Feeling any better?" Mav started to run his fingers through Ice's hair.

"Stuffed up," he sniffed, unintentionally proving his point, "it's making my nose itch." 

"So..." Mav started kissing along his face, "more cute little kitten sneezes?" 

Ice scrunched his nose up and sniffed, "probably."

"Yay," Mav kissed his lips, "What time is it?" 

"I dunno," Ice moved onto his back to look at the clock on the wall, "oh shit.."

"What?" Mav looked up and saw that is was almost 7:30 pm, "Slider should have been home by now." 

"Maybe he had a meeting that went long?" Ice sat up and began to stand, stretching as he did so, "I'll check the answering machine." 

"I'll come with you," Mav hugged him from behind, "I'm sure Sli is fine." 

"I'm trying not to worry," Ice yawned, "I don't want to panic again," he shook his head and opened the door, instantly seeing a foot on the arm of the couch, "Sli?" 

"Yeah," Slider's head popped up from the couch, "Hey gorgeous." 

"You're home," His M's were starting to sound like Bs.

"When did you get home?" Mav came out and gave him a look.

"I don't know," Slider put the book down and stood up, "found you guys sleeping and didn't want to wake you up," He came over and kissed Ice's forehead before frowning, "you're a little warm, baby." 

"He had a bit of a rough evening," Mav rubbed Ice's back, "could be a stress fever." 

Ice brought his elbow up and turned away from them, "eh'kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew-kiew'huh," He sniffed and stood back up, blinking away the irritated tears.

"Bless you, baby," Slider kissed his lips twice before bringing Ice in for a hug, "you don't sound so good." 

"Probably not a stress fever then," Mav came closer and kissed Slider's lips, making the taller man smile.

"There is a head cold going around base," Slider rubbed Ice's back as he coughed a bit.

"He was bound to catch it eventually," Mav kissed along Ice's back.

Ice moaned deeply when Mav started to massage his back, "that feels nice." 

"How about you go lay down on the couch and i'll give you a full body massage," Mav started kissing along his shoulder blades, "might make ya feel better." 

Ice snuffled against Slider and nodded, "I'm so tired." 

"Sickness saps your energy," Slider kissed his head, "you can rest your head in my lap while Mav works on ya, ok?"

Ice nodded, letting his loves lead him to the couch.

---------------------------------------------------------

As Maverick gave Ice the massage, Slider had time to reminisce. He remembered clearly, as it was not too long ago, when Ice wouldn't sneeze without stifling in front of him. Not too long ago he would do anything to appear as perfectly healthy even if he had a terrible fever and a pounding headache. Now here he was, sitting on the couch with Ice's head in his lap, as their other boyfriend massaged his clearly sick pilot. He was sneezing out loud, telling them what didn't feel good, and not flinching when the blessed him. It was amazing how quickly Ice got comfortable with the two of them.

He prided himself on giving Ice a safe and comfortable atmosphere, but he really needed to give Mav credit too. Maverick pushed Ice in a way that Slider could never do. All those times he was terrified that Mav would push Ice too far, was really the push Ice needed to just do it, even if it was out of annoyance or spite. Mav didn't make fun of Ice's sneezes, only giving him affection and affirmations that he wasn't annoying but really endearing. He had become so caring towards Ice when he was clearly not feeling his best. 

Mav had started making Ice tea whenever he thought Ice was catching a cold, wrapping him in blankets when he caught Ice taking a much needed nap, and a million other things that he felt words couldn't do it justice. He somehow played with Ice's need to push and be pushed back, without ever crossing a line (if only he could do that with the military). It was strange how he knew when to stop with Ice. 

The man was a quick study, barely needing Slider to teach him the ropes. He caught on to Ice's tells very quickly, without instruction. Now they both could tell Ice's health by just a quick glance, sometimes even before Ice knew. 

"Hey," Mav interjected his thoughts, "Where's your head at?" 

Slider blinked  quickly before looking up at Mav then back down at his now sleeping Ice, "you, actually." 

"Me?" Mav had stopped the massage when he heard Ice start to snore the only way he did when he was really stuffed up, "was I naked?" 

Slider rolled his eyes fondly, "no." 

"Damn," Mav kissed his lips before kissing Ice's head, "that's my best side." 

"I was thinking about how far Ice has come because of you," Slider looked Mav straight in the eyes, and he could see how taken aback Maverick was.

"w-" Mav stuttered a bit before looking away and down at Ice's sleeping face, "Sli.." 

"Don't," Slider shook his head, "just.. know that I'm proud of you." 

Mav smiled and looked about to cry, before he just grabbed Slider's face and kissed him, "stop making me love you." 

"Never ever," Slider pop kissed him twice.

They put their foreheads together and just existed, until Ice whined softly in his lap.

Mav chuckled and knelt back down, shushing Ice and kissed his head a bunch until Ice calmed down, "ya know, Ice never whines when he's awake."

"I've noticed," Slider's thumb was softly moving up and down Ice's back.

"It's so cute," Mav kissed Ice's forehead, "he looks so sweet asleep." 

"He always looks sweet to me." 

"Yeah, that's because you've been head over heels for him since the day you met," Mav smirked.

"That's true," Slider looked down at Ice, "who couldn't love this face." 

"Oh, the face, impossible not to," Mav teased, "but his personality-" 

Ice groaned and curled further into Slider's chest.

"I think he heard you," Slider smiled as he wrapped his arms around Ice.

"Figures," Mav grabbed a blanket and put it over Ice's body, "I'm in trouble even in his sleep." 

"You're always in trouble," Slider winked at him, "In this realm and every other realm too." 

"You like that i'm a troublemaker." 

"It certainly makes things interesting," Slider chuckled as Mav kissed him, "but do you think you can turn it down and let Ice recover? I think the vein in his forehead is ready to burst." 

Mav pouted and bent down to kiss said vein, "I think I can lay off for a few days." 

Ice made a happy noise and seemed to smile in his sleep.

"I'd do anything for you, baby," Mav kissed his forehead again, "even if I need to behave for you to get better." 

"Good," Slider yawned softly and leaned his head back, "think we're sleeping on the couch tonight." 

"You could just pick Ice up like you always do."

"No," Slider closed his eyes, "he's comfy, I'm comfy." 

"You're going to get a sore neck-" Mav stopped talking when Slider started snoring. Mav sighed and whispered, "how do you sleep so fast," he rolled his eyes and crawled over Ice to get a spot on the couch, and crawled under the blanket, "you guys are lucky you're cute." 

Even though he didn't sound pleased, he fell asleep with a smile on his face and warmth in his heart.

Aweeee so sweet again! I loved it as always! And yes I do read everything you post so may times and then I go back and start over from the beginning and work my way through. It’s how I destress and regulate myself when the world around me becomes too much to tolerate. It’s the first thing I do in the morning to check if you updated (because I go to sleep so early thanks to my chronic illness so I usually have to wait for the morning to catch the update) so I can’t even put into words how much these stories mean to me. The characters feel so real and every update makes me that much happier. They never disappoint and as always I can’t wait for even more!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 11:25 PM, Wolfwings22 said:

Aweeee so sweet again! I loved it as always! And yes I do read everything you post so may times and then I go back and start over from the beginning and work my way through. It’s how I destress and regulate myself when the world around me becomes too much to tolerate. It’s the first thing I do in the morning to check if you updated (because I go to sleep so early thanks to my chronic illness so I usually have to wait for the morning to catch the update) so I can’t even put into words how much these stories mean to me. The characters feel so real and every update makes me that much happier. They never disappoint and as always I can’t wait for even more!

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOXOXOXO

REQUEST:  Okay, so, Ice ends up sneezing in front of a bunch of people. Like. I was imagining he had to give a speech after his TG graduation or after he first becomes an admiral (2 star), since he won the trophy and all. And he ends up having a fit backstage where people can see him, and he's EMBARRASSED YEAH. Ashamed, yeah. But he doesn't run away like he normally would. And he goes up on the stage, he gives that speech with his Ice-Cold demeanour, and THEN runs away to have another fit because one public fit is enough. I just want Ice to have that...one character development moment, if that makes sense

CHAPTER 100!!!!!!!! 

5 Stars

Ice was nervous. Far more nervous than he'd been in a long time. This would be the first time since his second battle with cancer, that he'd be standing in front of a large crowd, where they all know he can't speak. He honestly had no idea why they were awarding him the 5th star. His body was still weak, his voice barely audible, and he's taken more sick days recently than he has his whole career. This felt like some pity award. Like a last hurrah before he dies. 

"Lookin' sharp, pops," Rooster came through the doorway and walked over, frowning at the little scarf that Ice put under his collar, "Ice.." 

Ice just shook his head and touched it.

"You have nothing to be embarrassed about, Pops," Rooster didn't know what else to say, so he just decided to hug him.

"I know," Ice whispered into Bradley's ear, "I don't... want to... draw... attention." 

"The ceremony is for you," Rooster let go and straightened Ice's jacket, "you're supposed to hog the attention." 

Ice tried not to look as apprehensive as he felt, "You're right." 

"It happens now and again," Rooster took Ice's arm, "may I escort you to the living room?" 

Ice rolled his eyes but took the arm, letting his adopted son help him.

----------------------------

"You are the sexiest admiral the Navy, no, the military has ever seen," Maverick proclaimed loudly before coming over and kissing him, "So handsome. You're going to be a showstopper." 

Ice gave him a look, eyebrow raised.

"I know, It's not a show," Mav sighed, "but you always turn heads." 

Ice didn't voice his inner thoughts, which were turning more negative by the second. 

"You're going to be amazing," Slider picked up Ice's chin and kissed his forehead, "I am so proud of you." 

Ice flinched when his phone kept chiming.

"Your adoring fans, I presume?" Mav took the phone and smiled, "your inbox is flooded with congratulations." 

"hm," Ice nodded, swallowing thickly.

Slider, always perceptive to Ice's emotions, spoke up, "you really don't want to do this." 

"What?" Mav furrowed his brows, "he's got a million of them. You love your medals," Mav turned to Ice, "You always feel so much better when you're in your uniform."

Ice smiled softly, "I do feel better..." 

"So what's the problem with this one?" Mav was catching on too.

Ice shook his head and cleared his throat, "we will be late." 

"I'll start the car," Rooster felt the tension and thought it was best he leave them to talk. 

"Roo-" Ice tried to call after him but just ended up coughing and touching his throat.

Mav was there in an instant, rubbing his back and chest until the fit stopped, "I think I know what's eating you." 

"This damn cough?

"That," Mav kissed his cheek, "and the fact you don't think you've earned this."

Ice looked up at the ceiling, indicating that he was uncomfortable and that Mav was right.

"Honey," Slider frowned, "how can you think that?" 

Ice took off his glasses, not ready for the intense eye contact that they were giving him, "I haven't.. done.. anything.

"You know that's crap, right?" Mav ignored the look Ice gave him, "Honey, you were in meetings when you were at the hospital doing chemo. You kept me out of trouble and fixed my screw-ups while you had 104 fevers," he looked towards Slider, silently asking for help.

"Even when you were at your worst, the other admirals were still terrified to get on your bad side," Slider grinned as he put Ice's glasses back on, "they admire you so much. Every single person who is going to be there tonight is going because you inspire them. This isn't about some pity vote. This is about thanking you and rewarding you for all the hard work you've done." 

Ice looked into Slider's eyes, looking so vulnerable, "I don't think I can face them.

Mav's heart sunk into his stomach, "You've faced worse." 

"This is.. different.

"How?" 

Ice looked down at his arm wrapped around Mav's arm, "I can't walk alone.

Mav sighed, "So? You just beat the shit out of cancer- I'm not apologizing for swearing," Mav smirked, "Babe," Mav took Ice's chin and made him face him, "the fact that you're here, alive, is a miracle. You've gained the weight back, you can breathe, and stand. I promise you, you look so much stronger than you think you do."

"Besides," Slider raised a brow, "It's not weak to ask for help." 

Ice took a deep breath, glad he didn't start coughing, "stay with me?

"We would never leave you." 

"Yeah," Mav squeezed Ice's arm, "they'd have to pry your arm from my cold dead hands."

Ice huffed out a soft laugh, free hand fixing his glasses, "let's go before I change my mind." 

"Let's," Mav kissed his cheek again before walking Ice to the car.

-------------------------------------

When they arrived at the ceremony, a few lieutenants came to the car and opened the doors. One tried to offer Ice a hand, but Maverick almost bit it off. Slider apologized for Mav, and Ice did his best to scold Mav with a glare. It had worked a little too well because the lieutenants looked scared. 

Slider tried not to look proud as he handed Ice's cane, "you still got it." 

"I had throat cancer, not eye," Ice coughed a bit with his mouth closed.

Slider smiled and stood back up straight, looking out at the sea of people, who, much to Ice's chagrin, were staring at them, "just breathe," he whispered to Ice.

Ice held his head up high, glad that the scarf was covering his scar, and looked straight ahead. Outwardly, he looked like the admiral everyone imagined he would be, but internally, he was screaming. His heart was pounding, and he wasn't sure if it was hot outside, or if he was stress sweating.

Suddenly, Ice's hand began to shake, indicating that he wasn't ok. Slider quickly held his hand and squeezed, thumb rubbing against the back of Ice's hand. Mav noticed it too and took his other arm, but made it look like he was doing it before someone else could try to cop a feel. Mav glared at a random lieutenant, making a few people laugh. Now everyone would just call Maverick territorial instead of thinking Ice was weak.

They finally made it to the end, where Ice was supposed to sit, and let him rest there for a few minutes. People kept coming up to him, saying their congratulations, but would never let him stand up. Instead, they would kneel down, which only made Ice more uncomfortable.

Finally, their night in shining armor came, a sentence Mav thought he would never think about Admiral Simpson, and helped Ice up, "Sir, we would like to debrief you before we begin." 

Ice nodded and took Cyclone's arm, waving off Maverick and Slider who tried to grab his other arm. He was doing fine, albeit a little winded when they finally got out of earshot. 

"Sir," Cyclone took Ice's hand and shook it, "It's an honor to be her with you, sir." 

Slider and Mav had walked with them anyway, and both rolled their eyes at Cyclone.

"Thank you," Ice fixed his jacket and looked around, not eager to begin anything. 

At the worst possible time, someone walked past them with a bouquet of flowers that must have been perfumed on top of their natural scent, because Ice could already feel the itch and barely had time to bring his elbow up, "tdsch-tdsh-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdsch-tdch-tdsch-tdsch-tsdch-tsdch-tsch-tchiew." 

"God bless you, sir," There were a few other scattered 'bless you's from around, but Cyclone was the only one who had the audacity to not move on, "are you alright?" 

"flowers," Ice waved off the handkerchief that Cyclone was offering, "allergic."

Slider and Maverick were staring wide-eyed, having expected Ice to freak out or pass out, but he just blushed and let Cyclone fuss over him. Slider's eyes filled with pride, while Maverick's look could kill.

Cyclone turned to someone, "get rid of the flowers. Admiral Kazansky's allergic." 

Maverick was going to attack Cyclone, but Slider held him back by holding his elbow, hard enough that it would leave bruises the next day.

"thank you," Ice blushed and fussed with his suit, trying to not look at anyone.

"Of course. I apologize for this. We had no idea-" 

"No harm done," Ice looked Cyclone in the face and raised a brow, "you wanted to go over something?" 

-----------------------

The Ceremony went as well as expected. Ice, for obvious reasons, wasn't expected to make a speech, but he did bow his head lightly. What wasn't expected, was the standing ovation he got when they pinned it to his lapel. Usually, people saluted, and small claps, then it was over. But these people were doing much more. If his eyes weren't mistaking him, some people were crying. He couldn't keep the shock from his face and just stared at the crowd. 

Cyclone had come up to him and whispered in his ear, "you are, and continue to be, an inspiration to many. You've earned all of our respect, sir." 

Ice looked at Admiral Simpson and took his arm, "I had no idea...

"Sir," Cyclone swallowed thickly, "If I may speak candidly?" 

Ice nodded.

"When you got sick, the first time, I felt like someone took down superman," he chuckled awkwardly, tears forming in his eyes, "then you came back. You pretended everything was fine and you were so strong. I felt guilty for believing anything could kill you. You have no kryptonite, sir." 

Ice looked back over to the crowd and really looked at their faces. The entire class of Top Gun '89 came. Admirals he had worked with for years came. Even the dagger squad was there, making the most noise, "I.. I didn't know I mattered so much."

Ice hadn't meant to say that out loud, but luckily, only Cyclone could hear him, "Sir," Cyclone's brows furrowed slightly, "of course you matter." 

Someone yelled, "WE LOVE YOU DAD!" from the crowd and Ice actually shed a tear. He quickly wiped it away with his thumb, feeling love swell in his chest. 

Rooster ran up the steps and hugged Ice. He saw the Ice was crying and knew he just had to go up there. Ice never cried.

Suddenly, the entire dagger squad was there, a group hugging their favorite Admiral Dad. 

Rooster felt Ice start to weaken, and took his arm, "You ok?"

"overwhelmed," Ice took a breath and sighed when he felt Javy hold him from behind, and Phoenix take his other arm.

Jake, ever the attention hog, went to the microphone, "Thank you all for coming. We appreciate the support of our favorite Admiral, but I think the Admiral would like some time alone with family." 

Ice wanted to scold him for being so brazen, but everyone had actually listened and scattered. 

"Better?" Rooster had gotten a chair from Bob and helped Ice sit down, "you look pale." 

Ice squeezed Rooster's hand, "I'm alright." 

"I tried to get Cyclone to move it to next month, but he was so adamant about it being today. He wouldn't tell me why." 

Ice looked confused, "What is today?" 

Mav came closer, "this is kind of my fault," he knelt down by Ice and held his now free hand, "today is the anniversary of you and Slider kicking my ass at Top Gun."

"What?" Ice's eyes went soft.

"This day, a million years ago," Maverick joked, "is the day you won." 

Ice was speechless. He hadn't even thought to put two and two together. Now that he did, he smiled and looked down at Maverick, "Who's the best pilot? You or Me?" 

Maverick grinned, glad he caught on, "You, baby," He touched the new star that was just added, "you are the best pilot." 

They all awed, as Ice pulled Maverick in for a kiss.

"I am a close second, though," Mav grinned against his lips.

Ice chuckled, "this is a nice moment. Let's not ruin it." 

🥰 thanks for the update! I’ve been reading along! Just haven’t commented in a bit! Thanks for writing and I hope you are doing well!