Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

Oooh... Weir has another novel out?? Have got to put that on my list. Oh- have you read "Innocent Traitor"?

And one more question- because I'm a Major historical fiction geek- have you read any Phillipa Gregory? If so what did you think of them? I don't think that she does very well as far as books where she has a historical setting and makes entirely her characters- but I do rather like her other books where she has established historical characters.

Aside from reading my textbook (yay!?? tonguesmiley.gif ), I'm reading the final book in the Sister's Grimm series (I'm a sucker for good children's lit., and also playful spins on fairytales), as well as "Into the Woods, and "The Art and Science of Teaching"

She has indeed :D and it's a stand-alone sequel to 'Innocent Taitor' focusing on Katherine Grey- Jane's younger sister & what happened to her during Elizabeth's reign... I won't give away to much but the storyline has hints of supernatural in it as well ( Weir says she has a very long author's note at the end explaining her decision to go down this road). Innocent Traitor is an amazing novel, very said of course at the end- have you read The Lady Elizabeth & The Captive Queen? Both by Weir & both pretty amazing :D

Yeah i've Philippa Gregory's Tudor books- i definitely agree with you, it does annoy me what she does with the characters- i don't like how they can be quite one dimensional- like Anne Boleyn in the Other Boleyn Girl was plain evil whilst Mary was this perfect saint.... She's also very good at plucking things out of thin air & trying to make a story out of it- lol i'm so harsh but i'm just not a fan :P .... Oh it's just so good to talk with another fan historical books :D

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

I'm reading Coming Home by Rosamunde Pilcher. A lovely fat paperback full of romantic, undemanding prose. The perfect holiday read. :)

Finished 'Mary Tudor England's first Queen' by Anna Whitelock - a fascinating read for all those interested in History

More recent history:

'From Yalta to Berlin; The Cold War struggle over Germany.' How many people do you know that can name all three communist dictators of East Germany?yawn.gif And how often does that come up in conversation?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the middle of King's "Dolores Claiborne". I like it very much, although it hasn't got any fictional elements (too bad).

And yesterday or two days ago, don't know really, but it was before I started reading "Dolores" I have finished "Rose Madder", also S. King.

Do you guys have any ideas what should I read when I finish this book?

Edited by LocaLocaBoka

I can't read just one book at once (probably because I have ADHD) so I'm reading Room by Emma Donoghue on my Kindle and some other books I've already read before but love, like And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and Grendel by John Gardner.

I'm reading Daphne Du Maurier's "Rebecca" and a collection of Edgar Allan Poe's short stories.

I've read "Rebecca" before, I like the book but personally I think the movie is better. An opinion I very rarely harbour, but in this case, I do.

Edited by Chanel_no5

In the lack of normal books made of paper, I've decided to seek for salvation in WattPad...

I've just finished three pages long (wow) Rocky Horror fan fic named "My Immortal" by someone whose username is... umm... wait, let me check... MrsNiallJamesHoran. It is good, but it seems it was meant to be written in parts and the budding writer lost interest in writing after the first one.

Boooooooookkkkkksssss! I need boooooookkkkks...

May I suggest Project Gutenberg? http://www.gutenberg.org/ It has many books in many different languages where either copyright has expired or they have been given the right to distribute it unlimitedly. It is what feeds my e-reader. :lol:

Since I'm not really reading anything at the moment, I guess I'll comment on some of the stuff that I've read recently.

As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. It was an okay book though I didn't understand a lot of it. The dead mother was a bit of a bitch and in her philosophical introspection while she is currently dead, she comes across as a more coherent Gene Ray. All in all, I will say that to the book's credit, it kept me reading and wanting to continue even during the times when I had no idea what the hell was going on, and that's almost impossible to do.

After finishing that book, I read Stephen King's The Wind Through the Keyhole and I'm not sure what to think about that one. The..I guess you could call it the middle story, which is entitled The Wind Through the Keyhole...with that boy Tim as the main character...everything else is just a frame story surrounding that. I'm usually not a fan of those unless there's a good reason to do it. I'm not sure why that couldn't have been a standalone story set in the Dark Tower world; for the record, I did enjoy that portion of the book though; not the best King story ever written, but it was good. The frame story about that with the younger Roland was okay, but it wasn't anything special and parts of it were kind of boring and hard to get through. And the frame story around that with the older current Roland and his current ka-tet was just pointless...those are good characters but here in the outermost frame story they just don't do anything other than stop at a few places and talk to a few forgettable people and that's pretty much it. Overall, the book was better than the last few chapters of the 7th Dark Tower book...then again, that really isn't saying much. If I were to ever read it again, I'd probably just skip to the middle story and stick with that one.

I have no idea what book I'm going to read next so we'll see whenever I get around to posting in this thread again. :)

I am currently re-reading a favorite: Doppelganger by Marie Brennan, it's a great fantasy novel involving magic, assassins, conspiracies, and action.

May I suggest Project Gutenberg? http://www.gutenberg.org/ It has many books in many different languages where either copyright has expired or they have been given the right to distribute it unlimitedly. It is what feeds my e-reader. heh.gif

tumblrlkjiadoi5u1qfz999.gif

Thank you! heart.gif

I've started reading "Tajna Krvavog Mosta" (or "Secret of the Bloody Bridge") by Marija Jurić Zagorka, which is really long which means I will be peaceful for about a month or so, but I will sure check this site out, sooner or later.

Thanks again.

Edited by LocaLocaBoka
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm in the process of trying to finish the remaining couple of John Green's books before school starts for me in a couple weeks. Right now I'm reading Will Grayson, Will Grayson and finished An Abundance of Katherines the other day. I put off reading them for so long because I knew they'd be awesome. I don't know if that even makes sense. xD

Dragonspell by Katharine Kerr, second time. I swear, there needs to be fetish fic about this stuff. I might even write it.

Dragonspell by Katharine Kerr, second time. I swear, there needs to be fetish fic about this stuff. I might even write it.

:wub:

Just finished:

- A Game of Thrones, George R.R. Martin

- A Clash of Kings, George R.R. Martin

now reading "A Storm of Swords" :lol: ... the books may be quite addictive. :blushing:

Whatever Love Means - by David Baddiel

(I didn't know this in advance, but hayfever is relevant to the plot)

I am re-reading Laurell K. Hamilton's "A Kiss of the Shadows" for the second time.... and a bit of fanfiction again. :)

Fanfiction. Dear sweet God, I never thought I'd spend DAYS reading that stuff, but it's delicious and sweet.

But I missed Big Steve, so I'm also reading "Wind Through The Keyhole" again. ^_^

I haven't read many books lately but I just started "Chronicle of a Death Foretold" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I really liked "One Hundred Years of Solitude" so I thought I might like this one as well. So far it seems interesting.

I'm reading White Noise by Don DeLillo (not by choice, mind you). Ughhh. I'm not finding it very interesting at all. dry.png

Edited by Spoo

Just started reading Becoming Queen by Kate Williams, a biography on the life of Princess Charlotte/ early years of Queen Victoria before she became queen- basically Charlotte was heir to the British ( daughter of George IV ) she died young in child birth ( her baby tragically died as well :( ) & as she was an only child & her uncles & aunts had either no legitimate heirs or no children at all- they all had to marry in order to secure the throne- a bit of a nasty battle ensured & Victoria had quite an unstable childhood with rumored plots against her from one uncle in particular on one side & her mother & her mother's corrupt & devious secretary/lover trying to manipulate her on the other.

It's a heavy biography at all- definitely recommend it :)

• 3 weeks later...

Anthology of Japanese Literature from the Earliest Era to the Mid-Nineteenth Century, by Donald Keene. Yep, it's about as much fun as it sounds ;)

Uh. This is all the reading I'm supposed to be doing for school right now:

Aaron by Yves Thériault

Folk and Fairy Tales (4th Edition) by Martin Hallett and Barbara Karasek

Introducing Second Language Acquisition by Muriel Saville-Troike

Korea's Twentieth-Century Odyssey by Michael E. Robinson

La poésie québécoise by Laurent Mailhot and Pierre Nepveu

Le petit grevisse by Maurice Grevisse

Haha, "supposed to be" is the key phrase there. . . whistling.gif

I just finished reading The Kill Order - By James Dashner. The fourth book in his Maze Runner series. Definitely worth reading!