• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

I'm making a second attempt at Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow - the first time it was too dense for me, but it's actually rather suspenseful, and Smilla's POV is very unique

I am reading a collection that has all of Frank Herbert's short stories on it, which I have been reading on and off for a while now. Overall they are pretty good, though as with all short story anthologies there are plenty of shitty ones, too. :P I also finished reading Franz Kafka's short stories a few weeks ago and again, some are good and others are not.

I just finished the "Call the Midwife" trilogy (the book series the TV is based on). Other than that, just my usual mix of medical nonfiction and (mostly Marvel) comics. :)

Oh I'm reading "Apt Pupil" by Stephen King. It's disgusting and horrifying and very interesting at the same time. I'll probably finish it tonight, and then I'll move on to "Bloodstream" by Tess Gerritsen, another one of my favourite writers. :)

I'm on the 4th book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. It's a lot of fun :-D

Unmade by Sarah Rees Breenan, third in The Lynburn Legacy. Almost done with it, then I'll probably start on Firelight by Sophie Jordan, or one of the other eight library books I've got. Yup, bookworm and proud of it :D

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I'm 127 pages into Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand. One weird thing about the book that I was not expecting was that whenever characters have heated arguments, one of them just randomly asks "Who is John Galt?" just out of nowhere despite the argument having nothing to do with John Galt. And the other character might have some reaction but then they move on like nothing happened. It's just done in such a way that's so random and it disrupts the flow of the conversation in a way that isn't really believable to me, but what do I know? I knew that the "Who is John Galt" thing was going to be an overarching mystery throughout the book. I guess I was expecting to find signs, graffiti, billboards, broadcasts, or whatever asking that question, or maybe even some weird organization doing things in the name of John Galt, since I wasn't entirely sure what the plot was going to be going into this thing. I was not expecting that. Definitely something I just had to rag on a little bit. heh.gif

Edit: Okay, so I read the 6th and 7th chapters now, and the questions are still asked randomly, but at least now people are chiming in with these bizarre and outlandish rumors about John Galt's accomplishments, so that's kind of cool, I guess. :P

I'm reading The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. (It's sounds like a crappy love novel, but believe me it really isn't.) I'm only on chapter four, but by the end of the first one, the book already had me in tears. It's a well written book, I just feel like it's too overwhelming is all. Oh well, let's see where this takes me.

I'm currently reading "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett. I picked it at random when I was at the library (well, me going to the library nowadays is more a matter of me checking books on the online booking system and then have my mom pick them up for me, but still heh.gif I'm getting back there.), and I was just going to read the first chapter to see what the writing was like.

BAM, I'm 160 pages in and I think I might finish it tonight. Very interesting and engaging story, fascinating characters and great writing. What else can you ask for in a book? smile.png

Edited because I clearly forgot how to spell...

Edited by Chanel_no5

@Chanel - I've wanted to read that book. It's good to hear a good review of it. I'll have to put it on my "To get" list.

currently I'm *almost* done with "Death Comes to Pemberly" by P.D. James. I've enjoyed it. It wasn't absolutely super fantastic, but it was good. Next up will either be "Women, Race, and Gender" or "The Client" by John Grisham. Unless something super that I currently own crops up and demands to be read earlier. lol!

ETA: Cake - OMG - I :wub: :wub: Oscar Wilde. I really should actually *read* some of his plays. I've seen several multiple times, but reading would be a different (but pleasurable) experience. Also, I insist that when we eventually get together that we NEEEEEEEED to watch "The Importance of Being Ernest" with Mr. Firth and Mr. Grant. Followed by "The Ideal Husband" with Mr. Northam. ;)

@Chanel - I've wanted to read that book. It's good to hear a good review of it. I'll have to put it on my "To get" list.

Do that! I recommend it warmly. :)

Currently I'm reading "Fear" from Michael Grant's "Gone" series. If you like sci-fi, I HIGHLY recommend that series! Very suspenseful, too. It's more suspense than sci-fi, honestly.

Also I'm in the beginnings of "America: A Narrative History" by Tindall and Shi for APUSH. Surprisingly, I highly recommend that one, as well, especially if you like sassy textbooks B)

I'm reading John Green's book Paper Towns. My parents got it for me to last the trip up to our new house while they pack all of my other books (Goodbye, literally hundreds of books I've all grown super emotionally attached to, even though you are books and not people. And also there are hundreds of you. Until we meet again~). And I gotta say, it's pretty good. I generally love John Green's work (with a few exceptions) and it's not letting me down so far.

Right now I am starting on R. A. Salvatore's Legend of Drizzt series. What I have learned so far: Drow are really appallingly terrible at naming their children.

I don't even know if I like it so far, but I'm reading it for (Dungeons & Dragons-related) research, so I press on. :schmoll:

I've been catching up on the last few Alex Delaware novels (by Jonathan Kellerman; Alex Delaware is the protagonist), while making my way through the novelization of Marvel's Civil War (because I hate the storyline, but feel I should have some more familiarity with it than I do, so better an eight-buck novel than oh-my-lord-so-many comics). Plus, as always, various bits and pieces of medical dorkitude.

Last night I started The Opposite of Loneliness by Marina Keegan. Even the introduction had me in tears... Her writing is so beautiful and it's such a shame there will never be more of it except this one book.

ETA: Cake - OMG - I Oscar Wilde. I really should actually *read* some of his plays. I've seen several multiple times, but reading would be a different (but pleasurable) experience. Also, I insist that when we eventually get together that we NEEEEEEEED to watch "The Importance of Being Ernest" with Mr. Firth and Mr. Grant. Followed by "The Ideal Husband" with Mr. Northam.

It was sooo good. "Come down... laaady come down.." *sings and cackled madly*

I've just finished "A woman of no importance" by Mr. Wilde and am reading about life in medieval Britain by Mr Whittock.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly finished reading Nick Offerman's 'Paddle your own canoe'. Quite a funny and eye opening read. If you've watched 'Parks and Recreation' he's the actor who plays Ron Swanson. The book is a mix of his life story and at the end of each chapter is a lesson on his best tips to living a delicious life (one of which is to always carry a handkerchief..). He also has a stand-up show on Netflix called 'American Ham' which is basically just him talking about his tips. But it's all told in a funny way though.

Planning on reading 'The Silver Linings Playbook' by Matthew Quick after. I enjoyed the film so I was pleased to discover it was based on a book. In truth, that's how I find most of the books I want to read. It's a system that's been working well so far though!

I finished "Of Mice And Men" by John Steinbeck two days ago (well, I read it in one sitting, it's that thin) and went on with Stephen King's "Finders Keepers". I'm about half-way through and it's a good one, however it hits a bit too close to home for me when it comes to bad finances. It's more uncomfortable than real, in-your-face horror to me.

I've started anew in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. "I WILL kill your favourite character at some point" Martin. Finished re-reading the first book in a couple of days, just started the second. I know it'll still be too damn long until the sixth season of 'Game of Thrones' once I finish the fifth book again, but... who knows, maybe maybe maaaybe there'll be at least an ETA for The Winds of Winter by then. Fingers crossed. :heart:

I've started anew in the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. "I WILL kill your favourite character at some point" Martin. Finished re-reading the first book in a couple of days, just started the second. I know it'll still be too damn long until the sixth season of 'Game of Thrones' once I finish the fifth book again, but... who knows, maybe maybe maaaybe there'll be at least an ETA for The Winds of Winter by then. Fingers crossed. heart.gif

ETA: it's a history test, but with dragons and bewbs. Also: Lord Friend Zone. I may have watched the Honest Trailer too often.

Just finished "Paper Towns" by John Green (after reading a book about Teddy Roosevelt)

I'm now reading

"Hellhound on His Trail: The Stalking of Martin Luther King, Jr. and the International Hunt for His Assassin" by Hampton Sides

Yes, my reading list is weird. :P

Maxie Mainwaring, Lesbian Dilettante by Monica Nolan. All the fun of pulp fiction with none of the obligatory moralising of books from the 50s. Win win.

I've been reading Catching Fire and Animal Farm for about the 60th time today.