Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

Finders Keepers by Stephen King.... Can't wait for the third book in the series!!

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

Currently in the process of reading:

1. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
  2. The Millennium Trilogy by Stieg Larsson
  3. Supreme Courtship by Christopher Buckley

Gone Girl was SO addictive. I enjoyed all of her books, but Gone Girl was (in my opinion) her best! Hope you enjoy it! :)

Finders Keepers by Stephen King.... Can't wait for the third book in the series!!

Me neither! Finders Keepers was better than Mr Mercedes and it ended with such promises for the third!! :yay:

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently finished reading The Notebook by Agota Kristof (not to be confused with Agatha Christie :lol: ). If I manage to finally get offline using all my willpower, I might start reading The Proof, which is the second book in the trilogy.

I really like the concept, it is awfully disturbing, but the good kind of disturbing, if that makes sense. :P

• 1 month later...

I'm simultaneously reading "Pet Sematary" and "Fifty Shades of Freedom". :bag:

I tried reading "Divergent", but it was too "teen" for me. I would have loved it at 14, but... I'm obviously a little bit more adult than I thought.

• 3 weeks later...

Nearly done with Outlander Book 1. Currently also reading Clockwork Princess and A Game Of Thrones (I feel like I'm the last person on the planet to read that series).

The Handmaid's Tale (Margarat Atwood) and Game of Thrones (HBO).

The latter because even though I like to be contrary and not read things everyone says I should, my girlfriend insists on talking about it. *sigh*

The Handmaid's Tale (Margarat Atwood)

Depressing as this may be, this is proooobably my favorite book of all time. Every time I see someone reading it, I'm like, *heart eyes* I really need to read more Atwood.

Currently reading "Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail" by Cheryl Strayed- about 3/4th of the way through and I'm really enjoying it.

The Handmaid's Tale (Margarat Atwood)

Depressing as this may be, this is proooobably my favorite book of all time. Every time I see someone reading it, I'm like, *heart eyes* I really need to read more Atwood.

Oryx and Crake is one of my favourites but I never got around to reading this.

Started reading, "The Marriage Game" by Alison Weir. It'll be interesting to see how she does historical *fiction* since she's noteworthy for her scholarly history books.

'Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm a fantasy buff, I'm head over heels for the Sword of Truth series, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, a Song of Ice and Fire and others. Several people have been begging me to read this book so I finally caved and bought it. I hate sounding like a literary snob but I really don't get what all the fuss is about :/ Maybe there's something wrong with me but the author writes terribly. None of his characters draw you in like Goodkind's or make you love to hate them like Donaldson's. Just meh. I'm trying to see past it lol so I can say I finished it... anyone else read it?

The World of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin et al., alternated with The Spanish Bride by Georgette Heyer. Alternative European royal history plus Napoleon-era romance? Best. Combination. Possible. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I am reading Clive Barker's newest novel The Scarlet Gospels. It's not the horrible abomination that Amazon.com users make it out to be, but it's not that good either and is definitely one of his more mediocre books. It's also pretty disappointing when you look at what he promised us this book would deliver for the past decade, and then we get the final product and it doesn't actually deliver a lot of that stuff. Still, Hellraiser fans are probably going to want to read this thing anyway, and it's a pretty decent adventure story, with characters that, while they don't rise much beyond their archetypes, are still decent enough to carry the story. I also found the portrayal of Satan here to be rather interesting, even if you don't see much of him and he doesn't show up until about 270 pages into the book (the book clocks on at 361 pages on my Kindle). If you've never read Clive Barker, I would recommend starting with books that I feel are much better, such as Damnation Game, Sacrament, The Great and Secret Show, and Imajica; but yeah, I've definitely read books that are a lot worse than this thing, so if you're that curious, go ahead and give it a chance and decide for yourself. :)

"The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism"

and yes, I am reading it for fun. :bag:

**wears sign saying "I read obscure books that are geeky**

On to Cold Fire, the second book of a fantasy trilogy by Kate Elliott. It's an alternative European History (with magic and trolls and such) set around the Napoleonic Era.

'Name of the Wind' by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm a fantasy buff, I'm head over heels for the Sword of Truth series, the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, a Song of Ice and Fire and others. Several people have been begging me to read this book so I finally caved and bought it. I hate sounding like a literary snob but I really don't get what all the fuss is about :/ Maybe there's something wrong with me but the author writes terribly. None of his characters draw you in like Goodkind's or make you love to hate them like Donaldson's. Just meh. I'm trying to see past it lol so I can say I finished it... anyone else read it?

I love this series honestly. But as someone said a lot his characters, espc Kvothe, are done in a style of a slow almost character analysis. I like this series better than SOFAI only because it doesnt have a metric ton of characters. Oh and love to hate Ambrose...wait I just Ambrose.

Currently reading the second Outlander Book, need to see allergic!Jaime!

I am reading Tales of the Cthulu Mythos, which is billed by being written by HP Lovecraft and Others, but actually only two of HP Lovecraft's stories are in this thing. I'm reading the physical book this time rather than reading it on the Kindle; I bought this book 12 or 13 years ago and haven't gotten around to reading it, so I guess, well, why not read it now? The stories that I read so far were written in the 1920s, around the time when HP Lovecraft was writing, and these stories are similar in subject matter to what HP Lovecraft wrote, but I think these authors did a better job in all honesty, mainly because their writing style is not done in such a way that seems like they made it as impenetrable as possible like HP Lovecraft sometimes did with his stuff, so it's a lot easier for me to get into. And yes, even if I don't think that HP Lovecraft was the greatest writer that ever lived, I still respect him for the ideas he came up with and for his contributions to horror literature.

Hm, at the moment I'm juggling August Wilson and Black Aesthetics, an anthology by two Howard University professors, and Performing Rites, a (really good) book on popular music. And I'm probably going to start reading a Toni Morrison book soon too. It all loosely contributes to the sort of books I want to maybe possibly write one day, so it is for fun but it's also maybe for future work possibly? But definitely enjoying it, even if I am annoyed at how much academics get away with terrible terrible writing.

Reading (audio book actually) Hero by Perry Moore. It's very intriguing take on superheroes and teen angst as a young gay boy in an alternate universe where super heroes are common tries to figure out how to navigate not only how he and others react to his sexial orietnation but also how he can help others with his newly formed healing powers. The author is quirky and sassy and its been great. Only half way so far but anyone interested in super heroes modernized might like this one!

August Wilson and Black Aesthetics,

Off the bat that sounds like the type of book that I'd read, but from your comment later about academics being able to get away with really terrible writing I'm re-thinking. Not that I'd be able to jump right into it at the moment anyway, because I'm working through a Doris Kearns Goodwin book, but I would put it on my "Future Reading" list if it is worth a read.

I'm slowly progressing through Anna Karenina (about 1/3 in). I like the story, but I find it going so slow I struggle to keep my interest.

Taken a short break to read "Turn of the Screw" by Henry James. Am not convinced yet. May have to go back to M.R. James.