Sneeze Fetish Forum

What Are You Reading Right Now

doggo

Right now, i'm reading Walden by Thoreau. It's slow going because I've got too much going on with school right now.

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chanel_no5

• Bondi

• March Hare

• TheCakeIsAlive

Dream Songs Volume 1, which is a collection of short stories written by George RR Martin, author of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

The Debacle,by Emile Zola,about the Franco-Prussian War in 1870,and it's aftermath with the Paris Commune.Absolutely riveting.

Edited by midnight in paris
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still reading George RR Martin's short stories. As with any short story anthology, some are really good and others...not so much.

Yesterday I read Albert Camus's The Stranger, which I was able to finish in a day since it was so short and I really enjoyed that one. :yes:

• 9 months later...

I'm alternating between a fabulous story by our own Vet, and "Needful Things" by Stephen King. Currently it's too hot to focus on reading, though. Bleh.

I'm reading The Hero's of Olympus series to my mom (third time for me teehee.gif).

House of Hades,which is part of the Horoes of Olympus series. That,in turn, originated from the original five Percy Jackson books. This book was a bit of a cliffhanger from the one that came before it,which I won't allude to in order to not risk a spoiler. I love how Rick Riordan can keep building more and more stories from the previous ones. Each of the books end like an epic but when the next one comes up,it smacks you in the face with more suspense.

Right now, my reading attention is divided between Domain by Steve Alten, and The Eye of Minds by James Dashner. Both really great books!

Parade's End by Ford Madox Ford. wub.png

Oh! Oh! :bounce:

What do you think about it?

I have to bite my tongue as to not start raving about that book.

If I was reading anything besides fanfiction right now, I'd be rereading Empress Orchid, which is about a girl who becomes the Chinese emperor's concubine. I read it the first time when I was thirteen (which was probably too young for reading such a novel) but I'd like to read again with hopefully greater insight than I had the first time.

After a long night of insomnia, I finished "Needful things" and started to re-read "Mr Mercedes", which by the way is good stuff. ;)

Ready Player One

Sent a copy to TYS as well. Anyone who loves video games? This is your book!

I'm reading "Write This Book" by Pseudonymous Bosch. Really good for me :)

And I'm waiting For House of Hades to be translated into my native language. Reading that book in English is a bit too hard...

Currently, I'm catching up on the books I need to read for school, namely Frankenstein, An Ideal Husband, and Persuasion. Once I've finished those, though, I've got a copy of The Book Thief I've been dying to start.

• 4 months later...

I've just finished "Himalaya" by Michael Palin and it's simply stunning. Brilliant read. :D I'll have to watch the documentary soon. :) His style is witty and his imagery imaginative.

Now I've picked up the Iliad again. It's amazing how much more I appreciate it now, about 8 years after last having to translate from it. :lol:

Percy Jackson's Greek Gods! I love Percy Jackson!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm working my way through Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle; right now I'm about a third of the way through The System of the World. It's a long, *long* slog, and I'd be lying if I said it was never boring, but seeing the way all the pieces fit together is worth it, and Stephenson's writing style is just so funny that I don't mind. It's historical fiction that reads like sci-fi, and has lots of Big Themes while still having a lot of plot to sink your teeth into, so it's basically made for me :)

A whole bunch of books on the sociology of medicine, focusing on how doctors need to speak their patients' cultural language in order for treatment to he effective. Yes, for fun. :geek:

Right now I am reading Stephen King's Revival and I am about 217 pages through it and I really enjoy it right now and am really interested in seeing where Stephen King takes the healing using electricity thing.

Before that I tried reading The Little White Bird, which I guess is a sequel or prequel to the original Peter Pan story entitled Peter and Wendy...the original fairy tale where Peter's a borderline sociopath who does everything because its fun and doesn't actually care about anybody else. I actually thought Peter and Wendy was a decent story, but The Little White Bird...I don't like it, I probably don't get it, and I'm not going to finish it. :nohappy:

Before that I was reading my first Ayn Rand book, Anthem, which I guess at 82 pages is more of a novella. I know she has an infamous reputation and all and I don't know that she'd be very popular around these parts, but I liked this book. It wasn't perfect by any means and it kind of feels like she cut it short and could've gone on with the story a while more, but it was still an enjoyable read and I thought the writing was engaging enough. I've not read her more infamous books like Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead so I have no idea how well I'd like those.

Before that I read Less than Zero by Brett Easton Ellis. This book was almost unreadable. I never skip parts in books but I had to skip and skim through a large portion of this thing. The writing is just that tedious. I made it to 140, I guess, and then I just had to stop.

Before that was the Dune series by Frank Herbert; I read all six of the ones he wrote. I won't touch the ones his son wrote based on how bad I heard they were. I really enjoyed the Dune books though and recommend them to anyone who is a fan of science fiction and fantasy stuff. I didn't like the 5th and 6th books as much but beneath all the problems I had with them, I felt that there were good books buried in there somewhere and a little more polish and better editing with those could have gone a long way. But yeah, Dune might rival Game of Thrones for the best book series I've read...not that I've read many book series.

And those are all the books that I've read over the past 2 months. I've also read a few comics as well, such as the Kickass 2 and Kickass 2 prelude graphic novels and I really enjoyed those as well. :D

A whole bunch of books on the sociology of medicine, focusing on how doctors need to speak their patients' cultural language in order for treatment to he effective. Yes, for fun. geek.gif

This actually sounds really interesting!

I'm currently reading Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt. I've only just started but it's been on my list for ages. Last week I read Gone Girl (binge read in about a day and a half). It was excellent!

A whole bunch of books on the sociology of medicine, focusing on how doctors need to speak their patients' cultural language in order for treatment to he effective. Yes, for fun. geek.gif

This actually sounds really interesting!

Agreed!

I have got back into that terrible habit of starting and not finishing books so I am currently halfway through North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (<3 Mr Thornton), Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay, The Santa Klaus Murder by Mavis Doriel Hay and Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn.

I'm determined to get North and South finished before the new year.